X2a coming soon!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Luteman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 17:44:30 (permalink)
DeeringAmps

Here's a little eye candy for Luteman & Bristol...

Oh yes! That's a lovely case you've got there . . 

Chris
SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 17:55:08 (permalink)
Swiller

Yes very nice indeed. I'm sold. It won't help me make music any better than a standard mouse, but its proper bondesque mission control so I want one.
Now, I see the small touchscreens on offer for a couple of hundred pounds, 22 inch jobbies. But how much for the big muvvaz with the tilt ****, and where can I get one before Christmas?

I have seen this one on offer at pc world and I like the size (82 inch), its a very reasonable £41000 inc vat. But that is slightly out of my price range.

http://www.pcworldbusines...a491c29cef6f01d50ad5be

This is the model we used:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016310&Tpk=planar%20helium

27 inch, pretty nice! We also used an Intel Ultrabook. Plenty of those around including some nice ones from HP. More to come soon!
Swiller
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 18:24:59 (permalink)
Indeed v nice. Unfortunately not available in uk, but yeah touchscreen tilt console view looks the shizzle. Looks a good option for a second screen left or right of the main screen in a studio.

You guys should think about doing a beatscape/maschine kinda thing using pads on the screen. It is only a matter of time before velocity sensetive screens are available. iPads are vel sensetive so beatscape app over wifi in x2 could be v interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on the kit used.

I7 3700k 3.5-3.9ghz, 16gb 1600 ddr3, 240gb ssd sata3, 2tb sata 3 hd,  2gb gt640 nvidia graphics, win 7 he, sonar x2 prod, a500pro, jd800,the magnificent juno 106, virus c, basstation rack, mpx1, xv5050, maschine mikro 1.8 with massive, kontakt,reaktor, mc505 groovebox, tlaudio 5021, 01x, Scarlett 8i6, prs ce24, squire classic vibe 60s.... tele,strat,jazz bass, blues jr 3 navy vintage 30 edition, orange ad5, line 6 ld15 bass amp, akg condenser mic, krk rokit 5, ns10s. Lots of thatchers gold.
qlne
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 18:54:43 (permalink)
I don't really see me using the touch screen capabilities, as I use a physical controller for faders, transport, etc, and I don't think I've used the matrix once. I've been with Cake since home studio 8 and have used the 'flagship' versions since. But I am concerned Cakewalk's relations with Windows will lead Sonar from a functioning tool towards an 'accessible' substandard product. I like sonar, and I have not had many of the issues expressed in these forums, but I will not rush out and buy a touchscreen monitor to support my daw. 

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading.

Andrew F
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 20:30:05 (permalink)
There is no compulsion whatsoever to use the touch features. That is only one part (albeit pretty important and cool) to the X2 story. If anything, the touch support helped improve some of the mouse oriented features such as scrolling in the prochannel. There are plenty of other features, enhancements and stability improvements that Make X2A a huge update even without considering touch.

Regarding touch, once you have used a tablet you will see that there are some gestures that are far more efficiently done than with a mouse. Scrolling, zooming, and multitouch operations if done well make it hard to go back to using a mouse when touch is available.  Multi-touch is in the future for all portable computers and in a year or so you will likely be hard pressed to find one without touch support. Its one of the most important UX features we chose to support for the next generation of PC's. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 22:25:23 (permalink)
Will 3rd party effects/instruments within Sonar support touch controls?

Cakewalk Staff
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 23:09:30 (permalink)
Touch yes, multitouch no. Touch gestures fallback to being treated like mouse messages when there is no explicit touch support implemented.

Noel Borthwick
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/19 23:28:04 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

Touch yes, multitouch no. Touch gestures fallback to being treated like mouse messages when there is no explicit touch support implemented.

Awesome delay effect!

laudem Deo
VariousArtist
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 00:45:43 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

There is no compulsion whatsoever to use the touch features. That is only one part (albeit pretty important and cool) to the X2 story. If anything, the touch support helped improve some of the mouse oriented features such as scrolling in the prochannel. There are plenty of other features, enhancements and stability improvements that Make X2A a huge update even without considering touch.

Regarding touch, once you have used a tablet you will see that there are some gestures that are far more efficiently done than with a mouse. Scrolling, zooming, and multitouch operations if done well make it hard to go back to using a mouse when touch is available.  Multi-touch is in the future for all portable computers and in a year or so you will likely be hard pressed to find one without touch support. Its one of the most important UX features we chose to support for the next generation of PC's. 

I recall our discussion on the topic of touch screens earlier this year Noel.  Way to go in having it implemented before the year was out!  And I agree with your sentiments above...
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 00:54:01 (permalink)
I will definitely get one of those 27 inch multi touch screens if Sonar touch implementation is solid. A very enticing prospect.

I wonder if Cakewalk could include some kind of virtual keyboard to write in track names etc. 

any hints about upcoming prochannel modules?...... :)

Ludvig
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 272
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 09:07:43 (permalink)
Guess X2a will make it possible for everyone to create their own Raven.
http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven/

Looking forward to it!

Best Regards
Ludvig

Intel Core i7 3770K | ASRock Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | ATI Radeon HD6450 PCI-E | 30" @ 2560 x 1600 | 2x120GB Intel 330 SSD's | 5TB HD's | Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit | SONAR Platinum Everett | All PC-modules | Octa-Capture | Studio-Capture | VS-700 |
vinny199
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 10:08:44 (permalink)
I'm ignorant about large touch screens. Does it mean having them very close to your eyes?

you have to operate them as if they were a tablet, don't you? which means you can't have the screen tucked in at the end of your desk, but instead it has to be right at the front of your desk, making the rest of your desk unusable?

is that how it works?

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 10:39:29 (permalink)
vinny199

I'm ignorant about large touch screens. Does it mean having them very close to your eyes?

you have to operate them as if they were a tablet, don't you? which means you can't have the screen tucked in at the end of your desk, but instead it has to be right at the front of your desk, making the rest of your desk unusable?

is that how it works?

You can use it just like you would a normal screen. The big difference is that you can touch the screen but beyond that, it acts like any other non-touch display. 
Cakewalk Staff
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 11:34:59 (permalink)
Also, if you don't own a touch screen you might be able to take advantage of some touch features via a trackpad on some notebooks if the hardware and driver supports it. 
See this link

Noel Borthwick
GIM Productions
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 11:44:47 (permalink)
Ok Noel is all wonderful but.........WHEN????????????

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 SP1
Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.
VariousArtist
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 12:50:37 (permalink)
backwoods

I will definitely get one of those 27 inch multi touch screens if Sonar touch implementation is solid. A very enticing prospect.

I wonder if Cakewalk could include some kind of virtual keyboard to write in track names etc. 

any hints about upcoming prochannel modules?...... :)

I think the "Virtual Keyboard" is part of the OS and not something that the software application needs to build per se, but rather indicate what style of virtual keyboard to display when you select on the screen that allows text input.  At least that's how it works on the phones and tablets I've used or developed for (Android, iOS and WinPhone).
VariousArtist
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 12:56:59 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

Also, if you don't own a touch screen you might be able to take advantage of some touch features via a trackpad on some notebooks if the hardware and driver supports it. 
See this link

And check out this too :
http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/logitech-t650-touchpad-review-magic-trackpad/

-- one of a few out there and I'm sure we'll see many more in the days to come.  I tried some of these devices out at a local Microsoft store and they seemed pretty good, and the touch screens were excellent.  And much better than anything that was used with Windows 7.  Touch is what makes Windows 8 appealing to me, but I have to say I don't care for many other things about the latest OS.  Windows 8 feels very schizophrenic on a desktop....
Cakewalk Staff
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 14:48:05 (permalink)
The downside of a device like that as far as I can see, is it won't really be that useful where you have a lot of stuff onscreen like the console or matrix. The key is being able to see what you are going to touch *before* you touch otherwise you are going to be have a lot of accidents touching stuff you didn't intend to.

Noel Borthwick
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 14:52:03 (permalink)
When you have a touch device attached, you get a screen keyboard for typing provided by the OS. 

Also, yes if you try to use something other than direct manipulation, it's like puppeteering.   

Our focus for touch was the broad gestures first, like being able to scroll and zoom.  Since doing that I haven't had to grab the mouse to scroll or zoom and the experience is so much nicer because of that.

We also went further and implemented multitouch so in the console you can manipulate as many faders as your touch device supports.
Tip: when shopping for a touch monitor, run mspaint and try to see how many lines you can draw at once.  Some external displays only support 2 touch points.  Some of the ultrabooks support 5.  I recently saw an all in one pc that supported 10 touch points.  I believe the Planar model mentioned supports 20 touch points so you can work with a friend.

Look for details on touch/gestures/etc. soon on our blog.

Keith

Keith
VariousArtist
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 15:04:21 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
]

The downside of a device like that as far as I can see, is it won't really be that useful where you have a lot of stuff onscreen like the console or matrix. The key is being able to see what you are going to touch *before* you touch otherwise you are going to be have a lot of accidents touching stuff you didn't intend to.

Agreed, I can see how that will happen.  I think we are entering a phase where there will be some awkwardness between making use of new technology and how software handles that elegantly.  A bit like when the mouse first appeared along with a GUI, and how these could "get in the way" of doing things more quickly (and sometimes still do).  

I remember doing a final year paper that involved programming in Fortran as part of my Maths degree many moons ago, and one day saw this mouse and wondered how it could possibly be of any use to the task at hand, so I tucked it under the drawer so I could get on with my work because it got in the way!  I guess I had a different mindset and need then, and I'm sure touch screens and touch devices will change as much as our needs will.  I'm hoping that will happen with Windows 8 in general, but I can't help but think that it's an OS with an identity crisis.
qlne
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 17:35:42 (permalink)
Noel, first thank you for commenting.

I completely understand the need to prepare for touch screen interfacing, as it clearly is the future, not just for displays, but future integration with tablets, smartphones, etc.

One of Cakewalk's great attractors is its ability to stay in front of technology (native 64 bit, delay compensation, etc) and even some ideas that didn't quite get there, like DXi.....

With Windows 8 still growing and the great touch interface debate still raging, I am only hoping Cakewalk will continue to focus on workflow in general and not get hung up on touch interface issue which may draw resources away from core development.

I am not a fanboy, but I have been using Cakewalk since Twelvetone's midi sequencer with a korg M1 and ProAudio/sonar incarnations have been part of my personal system for longer than I care to admit, primarily because it gets the job done with a minimum amount of dicking around.

Bells and whistles are fun, but getting 'her done  pays the bills. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, don't drink and drive.
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 18:12:08 (permalink)
I never thought I'd be into the whole touch screen thing but after using a tablet the last year I've really come to like it a lot. I don't think I'd be into a touch screen computer monitor though. When ever I try them in the store I'm not really into it. But it would be cool if cakewalk made a tablet app as an extention of sonar. That would be cool.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 18:33:28 (permalink)
WDI

I never thought I'd be into the whole touch screen thing but after using a tablet the last year I've really come to like it a lot. I don't think I'd be into a touch screen computer monitor though. When ever I try them in the store I'm not really into it. But it would be cool if cakewalk made a tablet app as an extention of sonar. That would be cool.
If you have an Android tablet, you can use the TouchDAW app to control SONAR. If you're on iOS, there's one for that too, but can't recall the name.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
* Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
* Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview

WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re:X2a coming soon! 2012/12/20 18:45:21 (permalink)
Not familiar with TouchDAW. I use Core and Mini AC7 on iOS and it works good.

Seems like a developer like cakewalk developing thier own could lead to some tight integration that may be impractical or impossible for a third party developer making a generic MCU app.

I would love to help cakewalk develope such an app with my great ideas. 

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1