X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out

Author
realex
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2014/09/15 10:12:11 (permalink)

X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out

Hi,
I upgraded my system to 64 bit (Win 7, from W7 32 bit) and installed the 64 bit version of Sonar X3 Studio.  As I then found out, NONE of my 32 bit DXi plugins would work.

Sob.

So, I dutifully bought Waves NPP Essentials, and they show up in the browser under VST 3 effects.  They also show up in the plug in manager, so do the CW midi effects, as well as various CW and Sonitus DXi effects.

But when I highlight an audio clip and go to Process - Apply Effects, both Audio and Midi effects are grayed out!

Not happy.  Any insight would be extremely appreciated.

- Russ

17 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:16:27 (permalink)
    All but a few DXi effects that have shipped with Sonar over the years work in Sonar. So do the Sony DXi effects that aren't locked to their programs.

Did you do the reset and rescan required when upgrading to X3?

Are all the appropriate folders witn plug-ins being scanned by Sonar?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:20:45 (permalink)
    realex
    Hi,
    I upgraded my system to 64 bit (Win 7, from W7 32 bit) and installed the 64 bit version of Sonar X3 Studio.  As I then found out, NONE of my 32 bit DXi plugins would work.

Sob.

So, I dutifully bought Waves NPP Essentials, and they show up in the browser under VST 3 effects.  They also show up in the plug in manager, so do the CW midi effects, as well as various CW and Sonitus DXi effects.

But when I highlight an audio clip and go to Process - Apply Effects, both Audio and Midi effects are grayed out!

Not happy.  Any insight would be extremely appreciated.

- Russ

Try right-clicking on the actual audio clip and go to Process Effect or Insert Effect. This will list all your available plugins that are available for clip-based processing. 

realex
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:26:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.  Yes, right clicking allows me to insert the effect.  And everything is listed in the Plugins Manager. 

All the effects I have listed are compatible with the 64 bit version of X3 (at least, now they are).  It doesn't list the non-compatible ones. 

So the question is - why is the Audio and Midi effects grayed out in the Process menu?  Sometimes I like to just process it, not have it as an inserted effect.

I appreciate your quick response, by the way.

- Russ
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:26:44 (permalink)
    A 32 to 64bit bridge for DX plug-ins does not exist. Some have had success by wrapping 32bit DX plug-in with a DX-to-VST wrapper and loading them with BitBridge or jBridge. Not worth the effect, IMO. While transitioning from 32 to 64bit consider installing both 32 and 64bit SONAR.

If the effects are not in the FX bin try right-clicking on the clip and use "Process - Apply Effects" from the context menu.

Edit: Dan got you fixed up while I was composing my reply.
    Anderton
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:28:29 (permalink)
    Actually I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are the effects that you want to apply in the effects bin? You can't use the Process > Apply Effects option on effects (other than the ProChannel effects) without an effect in the effects bin. If the effect is inserted in the clip, you need to bounce to clip.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:35:04 (permalink)
    realex
    So the question is - why is the Audio and Midi effects grayed out in the Process menu?  Sometimes I like to just process it, not have it as an inserted effect.

The reason that menu option is greyed out is probably because you have another track selected in your Track View. Try clicking on the Audio Track's # next to the little icon on the actual Track. That number will illuminate blue. If you have any effects in that Track's Audio Effects Bin then the menu option Process > Apply Effect > Audio Effects or MIDI Effects should be available.

Check your Track Manager (Shortcut - H) and make sure you don't have another track accidentally selected or something like that. 

All else fails try selecting the Freeze button on your track. That will render it with the effects. Bounce to Tracks is also an option.
    -DG

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:35:28 (permalink)
    realex

I believe in this case there is nothing to process. The option from the main menu only applies effects already in the FX bin. The context menu processes effects without adding them to the FX bin.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:39:43 (permalink)
    dueling with Dan 
    realex
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 10:49:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  I see that I misunderstood how that menu item works, it's different than in previous version.  So you have to have an effect in the bin before it will list anything, and the "right" way is to choose an effect from the browser or right clicking.

Works now, so thanks to all!
    realex
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 11:08:22 (permalink)
    Geez, hate to be a pest, but now that I understand why that wasn't working:

When I tried to put the Cakewalk classic phaser in the effects bin, it gave me an error message: missing plugin standin.  Same thing for all of the other cakewalk effects, except the multivoice Chorus/Flanger for some reason.

The Sonitus effects are all there.  Is there a way to re-install the CW effects?  I did the reset and rescan, as anderton suggested (twice) - no difference.

- Russ

Anderton
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 11:08:30 (permalink)
    realex
    It's different than in previous version.  So you have to have an effect in the bin before it will list anything.

Actually it's always been that way, it can't process an effect if no effect exists. But I'm glad you got it working!

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 11:13:54 (permalink)
    Run the installer as administrator by right-clicking the first part of the SONAR install files and selecting the option. When given the option early in the install process, select "Advanced Install". This will present a check list of things to install. Select the plug-ins to install.

Reset and Rescan does nothing for DX plug-ins.
    Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 11:32:26 (permalink)
    scook
    dueling with Dan 

Hah, ON GUARD!!!
    realex
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 11:54:42 (permalink)
    Thanks scook, I just did that after reading your reply.  Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message:
    Unable to register the DLL/OCX : Regsvr32 failed with exit code 0x3.

I'm guessing it tried to install a 32 bit plugin, even though I specified 64 bit at the first screen.  I'm going to hit Abort, as I don't want to hit Ignore and Retry doesn't do anything.  Now it's rolling back, so I guess it didn't make any changes.

At this point, perhaps I'd better contact technical support - I don't want to keep wasting your time.  I appreciate all of the help, though!
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 12:00:45 (permalink)
    It is not a 32/64bit issue, regsvr32 is used to register all dx plug-ins. This error does pop up on the forum every now and then, for example http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3012177. Contacting support is not a bad idea.

Craig, take note of the resolution in the thread I linked. Ties into your thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3086454
    realex
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 12:53:16 (permalink)
    Well, I tried all the suggestions - installed gdlplus in my system32 directory, installed C++ Redistributable 2013, the only thing I didn't do was go from C++ .40219 to 30319.  I guess I'll try that later, I've spent WAY too much time on this already today.  If that doesn't work, TECH SUPPORT!

"Hello, my name is Betty" (just kidding, I've found they actually do a very professional job at CW)

- Russ
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: X3 Studio - Process - Apply Effects - Audio grayed out 2014/09/15 13:11:15 (permalink)
    May be one of the effects is MONO.
    Waves has many mono-effects.
    You cannot Mix an MONO and a STEREO effect.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1