Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2012/05/28 11:35:58 (permalink)

You Rescue Me ### STICK A FORK IN IT!!! ###

NEW MIX UP 6/08/12 @ 9:30am Central time 
(same link)

New tune up!  This one has been in the works for a while.  I want to thank Danny Danzi for his help on this mix, and of course, I thank Rich, Steve, Yvonne and Ed for their contributions!  (the sax is smokin' IMO!)

All comments and crits welcome!

Lead Vox, Organ, Drum Programming, MIX - Beagle
Backing Vocals - Yvonne Utz
Sax - Rich Arizmendi (psalmist35)
Acoustic Guitar - Steve Rohlfing
Bass - Ed Kocol (bapu)
Electric Lead - BIAB

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/you-rescue-me

edit:  let me re-emphasize that Danny did not mix this, as I said above, he helped me with the mix.  just to be clear.  
post edited by Beagle - 2012/06/08 10:25:32

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

104 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 12:03:59 (permalink)
    As far as the song goes, it's a nice hymn and tribute to your Savior.  I could feel your passion and sincerity, plainly, in your vocal performance.  However, I have an issue with the overall sound.  Although each element of the song comes through loud and clear, there is a two dimensionality about the mix that I can't ignore.  To my ears, there's no breathing or dynamics taking place.  All the elements are approximately the same volume level, which sounds unnatural as the song unfolds.  I've been an advocate of front to back mixing for a long time, as well as left to right mixing.  That is, some elements can be louder or softer than others at various places in a tune to give it depth.  With this song, that would be a quick and easy fix if you thought that it would help.  If you do nothing, it still is a nice hymn.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 12:11:27 (permalink)
    Nice song Reece. Drums sound REALLY good. I would have played the Am bass if you had just asked, although BIAB did a fairly good job.

Lead vox seems a tad dry to me. Prolly just a personal taste thing.

post edited by bapu - 2012/05/31 14:39:56
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 12:25:07 (permalink)
    Hi Reece, nice tune and vocal performance. Electric guitar sounds a bit "grating"to me, could be a bit warmer sounding. Also at 2:45 where you sing "Jesus" it sounds very odd, could be the conversion on Soundcloud, that sometimes adds some artifacts. Good job, Sir.

Rik
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 12:53:36 (permalink)
    :(  Just ate my reply again.  

OK...once again...nice song!  Good tune and great vocals.  I really like the drum programming. (I wish there was a program to move my drum sticks where I want them to go (in real life).  Maybe I'll have to keep practicing.)  Anyway, BIAB does a good job on the bass too.  And it's sure great to hear Rich again!  

And what can go wrong with Danny onboard?  :)

Really nice! 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 13:08:28 (permalink)
    Nice... is this original? I have not hear this before so I'm thinking maybe it is.  

I was thinking there was something weird happening with the vocals but I believe it is the BB electric guitar... it has , as Rik said...a "grating" sound to it.  Personally, I'd mute it and let Rich's sax handle the song. I'm thinking it can easily do without the bright electric guitar..... If the guitar is required.... I'd have look at some acoustics (a pair)  laid down low and panned wide, to give the chord foundation. I'm not a big fan of some of the brighter BB electric rhythm guitars for the reason I hear in this tune. 

Could be some freqs clashing there at 2:45.... did you melodyne the vocals? When you need a perfect vocal harmony like that part.... melodyne will get you there. Normally, a slightly off key harmony in most parts of the song will go unnoticed and perhaps even sound good..... but right there, it's out there for all the world to hear. I'm thinking the issue there is the slightly off tune vocals.  Another thing I would do if I was mixing that.....I would bring the BGV down a few db and round off the high end a tad..... that will let the harmony be there, but not be so much in your face. The lead vocal is the important one. 

Those things are just nits (perhaps of the personal preference kind)......

Nice work though on this song. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 15:04:57 (permalink)
    Yeah Beag! wide and open mix. Great vocals!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 15:23:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    thomas1234567890
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 15:24:31 (permalink)
    its really awesome beagle..most of all i think ur voice is really soulful.. its really original imo. I think you should put little more variety in the vocal melody, wat do u think? if you did the voice would call attention to the song more. i think ur voice is the best thing about song (but the song is awesome too obviously)
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 15:51:59 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,

Liked the song a lot. I hear what folks are saying at 2:45, but nothing that can't be fixed.

The overall mix sounds a bit muddy to me. It feels like there could be a bit more high in a certain range, but I can't put my finger on which one. It could be an effect of Soundclouds conversion though, that's happened on a few things I posted on there, that's why I stopped using them and went to Box.net.

Something isn't right with the bass at 19 seconds and the timing of the bass in general seems off to me, or there is a quick attack on a compressor dipping the volume a tad too much perhaps? It sounds maybe like you were trying to get the kick and bass to play nice together?

There's a lot going on in this song and it sounds like it was a bear to mix. All in all I really liked the mix, the song, and all the performances.

Thanks,

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 15:56:34 (permalink)
    Overall Reece, pretty nice. It does kind of stay on the same level all through, and I think that's because the choruses need more of a lift. In your previous songs you've had a very nice blend of harmonies with your voice, and that's lacking here, the BGV's seem indistinct.

On the plus side, it moves along nicely, the sax is really sweet, drums are well doneand I didn't hate the BIAB parts , although there must be dozens of guitar players that would have done those parts for you.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 16:03:12 (permalink)
    Like how the piece moves. Drum programming is spot on here..wish I could do something like that...

Good stuff!

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 17:37:03 (permalink)
    GREAT tune!  Nice flow to this piece with a very powerful vocal delivery. I'm hearing the same as James when it comes to the harmonies being muddy and distant. Other than that a real strong song/mix.  KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 20:27:10 (permalink)
    This is not a tough bandwagon to jump onto.  Nice job, Beagle.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 22:34:13 (permalink)
    Hi Mr B . Great arrangement, great playing. Very believable, hearfelt vocal My fave is the organ - when it first comes in, I would like to hear it a tad louder.
    I think someone has already asked, is this an original song?

I was writing this as I listened the 2nd time through and my new fave part is the acoustic thingy right at the end :)

Good stuff Mr Beagle sir
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 23:23:28 (permalink)
    Well, I have to agree with Lynn. This is decidedly two dimensional.
    Overall good performance. Like the sax, vox, drums. Just can't get into that  electric guitar(sorry, BIAB).
    Dynamically, this is pretty flat. I want to hear this thing breathe, and it's not doing it.
    Danny? I know what you can do, bro, and this ain't it...yet.
    This tune is at about 80 % of its potential. Bring it home, guys.
    Bring it home.
    post edited by RobertB - 2012/05/28 23:25:54

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/28 23:29:40 (permalink)
    Well, I am glad its not just me. I agree with the above. It lacks depth, and warmth. Great start but could be much more.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 08:54:49 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your great feedback! 

I am thinking there must be a problem with soundcloud's encoding, as Bub suggested and when I get home tonight I will check my mix and check soundcloud's "sound" and see what I can do to remedy the situtation.  I promise you that this mix did sound very full and pretty dynamic when I finished it, so something "hinky" must be going on.

Lynn - thanks so much for the great response!  As I mentioned above, I'll look into the mix and the encoding.  I'm thinking something must have went wrong in the translation.  I'm glad you liked it and I'll see what I can do with the problems!

Bapu - thanks my friend!  I would be honored to get you to do some Am BAZZ on this!  honestly the thought didn't cross my mind because I know you keep buzzy with the CHB.   I'll contact you from home after work tonight if you're still interested!  (I'll check on that verb, too!)

Rik - thanks for the listen and great comments!  I will check on the guitar, you're not the only one who thinks there's a problem and I certainly appreciate the ears!

Janet - thanks so much!  this is one of the better drum sequences I've done with Superior - actually I used "The Classic" as the kit inside superior.  And yeah, Danny was a big help on this.  thanks for the listen - glad you liked it!

Herb - thanks so much for the listen and the specific comments!  Yes, this is an original.  it's funny that you and others have asked, I wonder if it reminds you guys of another song or something?  but I'll ALWAYS notify up front if it's a cover, so if it doesn't say "cover" in the title or at least in the description in the first post, then it's original.  and I'll always give others credit if I share the copyright, too.  I believe in giving credit to the songwriter whenever possible.

yes, the harmonies were melodyned in places, but obviously I could have missed something.  I appreciate the specific feedback on the time you're hearing a problem and I'll check that out.

I'll check on the electric, too.  I'm thinking something screwy must have gone bad with the render or the soundcloud encoding (or maybe I screwed the final mix up - I don't know!).  the electric sounded great before, so with so many comments on it there must have been something went sour.  thanks again!

Bill - thanks man!  I appreciate the listen and the kudos on the vox!

John - thanks my friend!  I appreciate you!

thomas123... - thanks so much for the great comments!  I truly appreciate it!  there's at least one other person here commenting something similar regarding the melody.  I truly do appreciate the comment and will keep that in mind, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to change the melody at this point for this song.  I do appreciate the comment, tho, and will keep that in mind for future songs where I might have this problem.  I also very much appreciate your great comments on the vocals!  it is VERY much appreciated!

I'll answer everyone else later - I do appreciate your comments and I do NOT leave anyone out for personal "thank you's" and responses, sometimes it takes me a bit, tho, just check back and I'll have a response for you later tonight!

thanks again everyone!  that's why I love this community!

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 09:28:52 (permalink)
    Beagle - what format file did you upload to Soundcloud? I have had problems too.
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 10:05:43 (permalink)
    Hi Reece,

I thought this was pretty good compared ot the first version I heard. Next time before you post though (if you want to that is) let me hear the mix so I can give you some feedback. :) I hear a bit of what the others are talking about. My main concerns that stick out to me though would be:

1. Kick has lost its rumble which is a good thing. However, we can put a little more 60-70 Hz in there to make it have a bit more "boom" impact.

2. The BIAB guitar sounds different now. Kinda scratchy and sort of harsh compared to how it was. All this very well could be the possible encoding or Soundcloud issue you mentioned.

3. The back-up vocals could probably stand to have a lower harmony included. I didn't mention this to you because well, the song was done and we were working on the mix part. I don't like to offer too many "additive" type suggestions unless I really get asked for that stuff. But here'e where I think the problem may be. You have a big, thick voice. Yvonne is thinner and on top. When you have this "Big Reece" fellow blasting out vocals and this little gal on top, sometimes it's better to have another "Big Reece" on the bottom and allow Yvonne to just be the extra sizzle on top. So in listening to this, it's like we have what appears to be a pretty big jump from melody to high due to her voice being a bit smaller than yours, not as powerful and the lack of a low harmony going on. She's also doubled her part so it's two of her vs. one of you which can make things sound a bit offset. I'm sorry for not making a mention of this before...but like I say, when someone presents a mix to me, I try not to mess with their vision or artistic creativity. In the future I'll gladly include that for you.

4. We still need a little vocal automation in the end when you start to soar. The vocals sort of walk on top of the music a bit and this could be due to the changes you made inside the music bed.

5. I didn't hear a lack of dynamics in this at all. Truth be told, there isn't much instrumentation in it to where it would need that impact unless you added something in with more power during the chorus parts. We have an acoustic that's always playing, organ that comes and goes, the BIAB guitar is always there, bass always there, and the sax comes and goes. In order to have a bit more dynamics, (if necessary) it's nice to layer a few more instruments for some power during the chorus parts and then back them down for the verses. But for what you had here, I don't know that there could have been more dynamics really with the tune as is. So if I were to mention dynamics, I would say next time it may be a cool option to visit some power instruments for your chorus sections or maybe even more stacks back-ups with harmonies. Something to sort of push the tune to the next level during the chorus parts....know what I mean?

Other than that, I still think you did a pretty good job on this as you removed the nasty stuff that was mudding things up, you panned things nicely and used some of the techniques we talked about. I say good job brother...it will only get better from here. :)

RobertB: Hahaha, thanks for your faith in me, but I didn't mix this. I just gave Reece a few pointers and a few things to try to fix some of the problem issues he had going on. He never sent me a final mix to review....so some of the stuff mentioned I definitely would have caught and fixed him up on. I felt he did a really good job on this considering what he started with. Rumbles in the kick, toms, and bass, lack of panning etc. Those things alone he fixed so there's some success there in my opinion. He's got a good grasp on this stuff now though...so we'll see what he cooks up next. :)

Good job Reece, thanks for allowing me to be a part of it with you brother.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    THE NIGHT FOX
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 10:14:23 (permalink)

Love that thumping beat , different for sure !
    Beagle
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 20:50:21 (permalink)
    ok guys!  thanks again and here's some more responses and info:

Bub - first - thanks so much for the listen and comments.  I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you who listen and comment!  ok - regarding the "problem" at 2:45;  I'm not sure why it's a problem.  I verified that area and that's where I added an extra harmony part myself just to give that part an extra "ooomph" right after the bridge.  the harmony part there is dead on pitch, but it's the only place that I added that extra harmony.  I'm sure that's what you guys are hearing, but there's nothing wrong with it, so...?

regarding the mix:  there's a lot going on this mix and it was difficult to keep the instruments separate.  I think part of the problem you're hearing here is because of the electric guitar which I have now changed pretty drastically (and I've even taken it out of the verses).  so I think you'll probably like what I've done with the overall mix feeling just due to changing that guitar.

Bass:  you have good ears!  there is a problem with the bass at 0:19.  and that bad part of the bass is still there for now.  something went wrong with the conversion from BIAB to sonar there, but I have not fixed that yet.  I will fix that in a future mix revision.  thanks for calling my attention to it!  as far as the timing being off, I don't think it's timing, but likely what you're hearing is the transient shaper I have on it and I've adjusted the TS some so hopefully that will resolve that issue.

thanks for the comments and very glad you liked the song and performances!

James - thanks so much for the listen and comments!  I appreciate it very much!  regarding the harmonies - the harmonies on this one were recorded back in February or so and that was before I enlisted my wife to add some lower harmonies like I had on Christ is Alive and Oh What a Friend.  and Yvonne only did one part harmony on this.  so I had been thinking I'd add my wife's harmonies to this and based on your comments I am sure I will now.  but they're not there yet.  It will take a little while to get her warmed up for it.  but I'll do a repost for you when I get those laid in! 

on being the same level - I have taken the electric guitar out of the verses and that might help some.  if not, well, that may be the best I can do at this time.  but thanks for the crit on that!  I'll try to watch that in the future!

thanks for the great comments on the song, the sax (Rich is awesome, IMO) and drums.  glad you don't hate the BIAB parts.  and yes, I did ask a couple of guitarists but neither one really worked and I just decided to use it "as is."  sometime life gets in the way of your collaborators and you have to move on.

Barry (trimph1) - thanks so much for listening and commenting!  the drums are decent on this one, thanks.  drums are very very difficult for me.  I'm not a drummer and really don't understand when to play what.  so this is high praise indeed!

Kev - how are you my friend?  thanks so much for the listen and great comments!  as I told James, the new mix has less guitar, so the choruses should be a little "more" than they were.  but other than that I can't do a lot about it for this song.  thanks for the advice and comments!
    NEW MIX UP NOW with those comments I just made here up!  thanks everyone!
    more responses to come later...
    post edited by Beagle - 2012/05/29 20:53:32

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 22:29:16 (permalink)
    The bass is a lot better.

This mix sounds a lot better than the first one. I'd still like to hear it a little brighter, but that's personal taste.

Thanks,

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/29 23:26:38 (permalink)
    Agreed. This sounds much better.
    Possibly a bit brighter, and maybe a little more space. Especially on the vox. Just a touch more reverb.
    I'm still not sold on that electric guitar part, and I'm inclined to agree with Herbs' earlier comment.
    Kill it altogether, and let that wonderful sax line carry it.
    I've been playing along with this, but I'm not entirely happy with what I have come up with so far.
    Stay on it, Reece. I like the song, and with just a bit more fine tuning, I think you will have it nailed.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Beagle
    Re:You Rescue Me 2012/05/30 08:47:56 (permalink)
    Jan (Old55) - thank you very much for listening and for your great comments!  I'm very glad you enjoyed!

Daryl - thanks so much my friend!  based on your feedback I did bump the organ a tad in the intro.  I like the organ, too!  It's becoming my main instrument behind vocals.  I think the bridge in this was pretty killer, if I say so myself...

and yes, this is an original song, I wrote it along with 3 others when I was out of work for 2 weeks after surgery last fall.  most of the tune has been recorded for quite some time but I was waiting on a friend to do some guitar work and he ended up having to bow out because of personal obligations. 

ha - the acoustic slide at the end!  I think he did that as a joke because he's always doing that during band practice (he's also the leader), but I thought it was kinda cool and left it in there!

to answer your question from your 2nd post:  I uploaded a 320kbps mp3 to soundcloud.  I've been running some tests on soundcloud and my results are in the coffee house thread about it.  basically I've come to the conclusion that all streaming mp3's are different than what you upload or even what you download from the same source as the streaming play.  that would leave some mixes with different feels than others depending on what you do with it.  so this will be one more consideration I'll make in the future for my mixes since this is one of the main media outlets I use.

thanks again, glad you liked!

RobertB - good to hear from you and thanks for the listen and crits!  I will answer both your original and your 2nd post here.

thanks I'm glad you like everything but the guitar and I think the latest changes I've made open up some of the mix as well.  I think part of the problem is actually soundcloud and not necessarily the mix itself, but I've also made some adjustments to help with that, I hope.

I'll look at the reverb on the main vox, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm still looking at changes on the electric, but I'm not really interested in killing it.  I'll likely tweak it some more on my next mix.  it's funny that some of you guitarists hate this and some of you like it.  so to that end there's no pleasing everyone!  with that in mind, I'll tweak the guitar sound some more and get it where I like it and then that's the best I can do!

thanks again!  I do appreciate your comments!

Shad - thanks for listening and I appreciate your comments!

Bub - thanks for the 2nd listen and confirmation that I've cleaned some of it up.  I will change the bass part again, at least in that bad area, but maybe the whole thing, I don't know yet, and I'll post a revision when I do.  thanks again!

Danny - thank you again for all your help on this mix.  I still strive to make it the best I can without compromising my vision for the song (which is why I might be tweaking that guitar, but I like it, so it is staying! ).

I've already responded directly to you in email, but I'll lay out a response here for others to see.

1) thanks, I'll look at that kick some more
    2) I'll be working on the guitar again - I might even be removing some of what I added to it.  thanks
    3) you are absolutely right!  this song was the first recorded out of the 4 that I wrote last fall and I only had Yvonne sing on it and she only provided 1 harmony part for this one.  since that time I've recruited Beverly (my wife) to add another harmony part on my songs, but since this one was already recorded I didn't go back and add her in.  I do plan to do that now.  Beverly has a much lower and fuller voice than Yvonne, but still not as "big" as mine, so that compliments mine and Yvonne's vocals very much to have that middle sound harmony in there.  in fact, she sings tenor parts, actually instead of alto, so that really fills the soundspace up with the vocals. 
    I'll be adding Beverly's harmony to this in the near future and I'll repost it then.  thanks for the suggestion!
    4) that's currently included in this version!  thanks for the suggestion!
    5) yes, I understand.  and I'm not really interested in filling it up with more instrumentation.  I do understand some more elements might make it more dynamic, but I don't think this song doesn't need to be something like Philip's songs where the entire soundspace is filled up (love Philip and his work - it just wouldn't work here). 
    I did remove part of the guitar during the verses to help with some of the sound of the mix as I hear it.  that's not to say you're wrong at all, I just thought I'd try it and when I did, I liked it that way because it seemed to open up the sound during the verses much more and built the choruses better.
    So I think I like the dynamics of the song as it was also, but I kind of liked it better without as much electric in it, so I think this is a compromise that I like for my vision of the song. 

thanks so much for this advice and all the other advice you've given me!  I think you have helped me to grow as a mixing engineer and I appreciate that very much!

James (Night Fox, Night Rider, Radio and 2 or 3 others... ) - just kiddin with ya James - thanks for the listen!  glad you liked the drums!

Thanks again everyone!  I still appreciate all inputs!!!  I'll be tweaking this a little more this evening and will also be doing a remix later with more harmony and maybe a better bass.  thanks!!!

PS - don't take this to mean it's over!  please continue to listen and comment!!!!

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:You Rescue Me (new mix with some comments incorporated) 2012/05/30 09:07:38 (permalink)
    This new mix sounds much better today.  More natural and three dimensional.  Nice improvement.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:You Rescue Me (new mix with some comments incorporated) 2012/05/30 11:31:59 (permalink)
    Hi Reece this mix sounds better, especially where you muted the electric ; ) What I can hear , the acoustic sounds very thin too. Confident vocals and good sound overal, but 2:45 sounds weird on my system, not really bad, just weird.

Rik
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:You Rescue Me (new mix with some comments incorporated) 2012/05/30 12:32:38 (permalink)
    This mix has better space in it, if that makes sense. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:You Rescue Me (new mix with some comments incorporated) 2012/05/30 20:55:27 (permalink)
    I didn't hear the previous version but I liked this one.

Man, Reece I really like the vox on this you sound like you've really loosened up and much more relaxed singing this than I've heard you before, the tone has always been there but now it sounds like you are trucking along like a good 'un.

I didn't like the sound of that 'vintage' sounding kit in the intro but when the song gets rollin' it sounds really cool.

Good job!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Beagle
    Re:You Rescue Me (new mix with some comments incorporated) 2012/05/30 21:31:46 (permalink)
    Lynn - (that's my middle name, BTW! ) thanks for the 2nd listen and I'm glad it's sounding better to you!  I appreciate it!

Rik - thanks again for the 2nd listen and comments!  I've made an adjustment at 2:45 which might help with what you guys are having a problem with.  when the extra harmony comes in there, it kind of squashed the sweet girl harmonies out, so mostly all you heard at that point was me harmonizing with myself which wasn't my intention at all!  so I brought my harmony part down quite a bit (-1.5dB) and brought Yvonne's harmony UP about 2x that and I think that has smoothed it out a lot there.  let me know what you think! 
    thanks again for the great feedback!

John - thank man!  I'm glad it's shaping up!  I appreciate the extra effort you are giving me by listening to the different versions and continuing to comment!

JB - high praise indeed!  I appreciate that very very much!  vocals are my main instrument and I know when I came on here 6 years ago I thought I was good and quickly found out I wasn't!  I'm hoping that I've improved since then and with comments like yours I have to believe it! 
    yeah, the drum intro is my least favorite of the entire thing.  I've struggled with that intro during the entire process.  I might change that one day, but it's about the best I've got for now.  thanks for the great comments!

Ok, RobertB, Rik, Herb and anyone else who doesn't like the electric - I'm still trying to get it to sound right.  I love the way it's played and I don't really think it has to be replaced, I think it can work, so I'm still working on trying to get it to sound right.  I think I've got something pretty good with this mix, so let me know what you think here.

NEW MIX UP!!!

http://www.soundcloud.com/beaglesound/you-rescue-me 

PS - RobertB and Bapu - I upped the verb on the lead vox, some, too!
    post edited by Beagle - 2012/05/30 21:50:05

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1