AnsweredYour Gobbler 1.0 files will [now NOT] be deleted after December 1st

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 15:50:09 (permalink)
jatoth
I've never truly gotten why so many people trust/use "cloud" storage.
External drives are dirt cheap. $70-80 per TB. Why rent "cloud" space?
Has anyone tried to upload a couple hundred gigs to the cloud? Not what I want to spend my time doing. Also, the reality is "cloud" storage is nothing more than saving your stuff on someone else's computer. Maybe it's my age or the fact that I have spent the last 34 years in IT, but I don't want anyone else responsible for my data.

I think most people use cloud storage as an extra layer of protection. NO form of backup is 100% certain - your external drive could perish in a flood or fire along with your main drive. The same can be said about cloud storage. Having both on the go certainly pushes the envelope closer to 100%.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 16:34:55 (permalink)
Hi, John. Thank you. I've had my hands and mind directed at other purposes as of late and not on the program as much so I've abstained from my usual ramblings. I still give the forums a quick scan every day or so to make sure I'm not missing anything important (thankfully by doing so I did not miss out on the survey and the resulting bonus bucks which were spent on Karl's epic SWA video tuts and this thread which was relevant to my plans). Looks like the re-structuring and deputizing of users to see to light modminerating tasks has really streamlined the place. Very nice. Hope you've been well and I'll be back as a regular soon enough if all goes well.

But back on topic... from the tone of Gobbler's reply/update helpfully posted by biodiode (thank you) they must have received a significant and well deserved flood of the brown icky in regards to their silliness. Not sure what would have made them think that any of what they proposed was a good idea but it sounds like they have been cured of whatever poor judgment came over them. I hope Cakewalk got in a few well placed jabs in that melee as well and that our friends at Gobbler will learn and grow from this. Online storage is easy to find. GOOD online storage... not so much. Perhaps this experience will allow them to outthink and outperform the competition and in a few years we'll all be singing their praises and wondering whatever did we do without the Gobbler.

Peace out, ya'll.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 16:59:55 (permalink)
It's amazing how many people have everything including their heads in a "cloud". Better download it before you "loose" it.

As I learned in grade school... and from simple observation... clouds form and disappear all the time. They are dynamic not static, so I think using the term "cloud" is both appropriate and a warning. You can be floating on cloud 9 one second and falling to the ground the next. Which begs the question: "Why would you put anything in a cloud that you don't already have backed up somewhere close by?"

I, for one, don't trust clouds for anything. They form today and dissipate tomorrow. A few in the sky look pretty. Too many turns the sky dark, dreary and menacing. The whole concept to me flies in the face of reason. You'd be far better off to use a safety deposit box.

Maybe the "sky" really is falling.
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 17:26:00 (permalink)
Beepster

... from the tone of Gobbler's reply/update helpfully posted by biodiode (thank you) they must have received a significant and well deserved flood of the brown icky in regards to their silliness. Not sure what would have made them think that any of what they proposed was a good idea but it sounds like they have been cured of whatever poor judgment came over them. I hope Cakewalk got in a few well placed jabs in that melee as well and that our friends at Gobbler will learn and grow from this. Online storage is easy to find. GOOD online storage... not so much. Perhaps this experience will allow them to outthink and outperform the competition and in a few years we'll all be singing their praises and wondering whatever did we do without the Gobbler.

and I'm sure nobody will be nervously watching to see what happens . . . . . . without downloading all of their stuff!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 17:28:13 (permalink)
soens
As I learned in grade school... and from simple observation... clouds form and disappear all the time. They are dynamic not static, so I think using the term "cloud" is both appropriate and a warning. You can be floating on cloud 9 one second and falling to the ground the next. Which begs the question: "Why would you put anything in a cloud that you don't already have backed up somewhere close by?"

I, for one, don't trust clouds for anything. They form today and dissipate tomorrow. A few in the sky look pretty. Too many turn the sky dark, dreary and menacing.

Completely OT, but aside from the fact that I agree with your sentiment, that's some pretty good writing. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Beepster
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 18:30:54 (permalink)
Stone House Studios
Beepster

... from the tone of Gobbler's reply/update helpfully posted by biodiode (thank you) they must have received a significant and well deserved flood of the brown icky in regards to their silliness. Not sure what would have made them think that any of what they proposed was a good idea but it sounds like they have been cured of whatever poor judgment came over them. I hope Cakewalk got in a few well placed jabs in that melee as well and that our friends at Gobbler will learn and grow from this. Online storage is easy to find. GOOD online storage... not so much. Perhaps this experience will allow them to outthink and outperform the competition and in a few years we'll all be singing their praises and wondering whatever did we do without the Gobbler.

and I'm sure nobody will be nervously watching to see what happens . . . . . . without downloading all of their stuff!

Brian

Yeah, that's a pretty irritating inconvenience and a blow to trust that will be difficult to recover from... at least in the short term. This is kind of like if Memorex or the like all of a sudden said "Oh... BTW, we designed our DVDs to self destruct in 3... 2..." then at the last minute turned around and said "PSYCHE!"

Very strange indeed. As said many times in the thread so far though cloud storage should not be used as ones sole backup method despite the cloud companies insinuations otherwise. 
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 18:50:08 (permalink)
I recently had to transfer ~40TB fast (locally) to new hardware/software architecture. I could not get more then 120MB/Sec, so that was not fun at all. I am too drunk to calculate how many months it could take with a cloud service...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Beepster
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 19:20:24 (permalink)
azslow3
I recently had to transfer ~40TB fast (locally) to new hardware/software architecture. I could not get more then 120MB/Sec, so that was not fun at all. I am too drunk to calculate how many months it could take with a cloud service...

It just so happens I was on the phone with my ISP earlier today over some other inane silliness and out of laziness/forgetfulness asked to be reminded what my down/up speeds were. I don't pay for their topline package but it is still one of their faster/better ones. 20Mb down, 10Mb up per second. Those are small "b"s... as in bits... not bytes. So yeah, I'd say just a tad slower than 120MB (big B) per second... lulzity.

Definitely one of the better reasons I'm not too enthusiastic about tossing my crud up into the cloud en masse let alone paying for the privilege.
soens
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 19:40:47 (permalink)
Anderton
Completely OT, .... 

Aren't I usually?!
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:03:08 (permalink)

I don't fully understand the need to pay (so much) for online storage.

For example, you can get a completely free A-Drive account which has 50GB of storage, and allows file transfer of files up to 2GB.

Obviously it's a sprat to catch a mackerel because they want to tempt you into subscribing to one of their 'better' plans and hence it's not as fully featured and a bit 'clunky'. But it's free, and it works.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:05:24 (permalink)
Interesting... I have quite a bit of storage with both the Sonar granted space (no longer the permanent it was advertised to be) as well as more that I won online...

Funny, but I've never used any of it. Too many reasons with the current issue being a prime one. I have a hard time trusting someone, somewhere else with my work... I do my own backups and even leave copies at other peoples' homes for extra safety... A bit of work keeping everything updated, but I feel fairly secure... Satellite internet with slow speeds and download limitations kept me from even considering it for collaborations and the system they designed seemed far to invasive to enable... Not that anyone is collaborating with me anyway! ;-)

As to they're new reply? Better, but still too insidious... Methods of forcing people to spend/buy more. Am I mistaken about the Sonar supplied space? Was that not "permanent"? Well... We know nothing is ever permanent, eh? ;-)

I've been using Dropbox since it published and it works fine and they seem a bit more grounded...? Easy enough for me to upload a project to a private Dropbox folder and update it if/when necessary. If I pay attention, I only have to upload any changed wav files and the Sonar project file... A bit painful, but doable... It would be nice to have a system that does as I'm told gobbler does, but I have now lost what little trust I might have had for them...

As was said here regarding Cakewalk's integrity with it's 3rd party collaborations, I too felt they must be pretty solid to be associated... But even the best of intentions can be ruined by happenings in the real world...

I for one believe that they should leave their' 1.0 system intact for those who are using and satisfied with it and add the 2.0 system as what they will now sell... Much like a store selling it's old stock as the manufacturer doesn't make it anymore... It might be all that client needs/wants and already bought!

...and then the upgrade path should have a method of migrating to the new system! We're not talking about a few picture files of web density here. These are large collections of large files!

I feel badly for those using and depending on it already. I guess I'm lucky I had pitiful internet so that I never even tried...

I can't help but think about this as an insurance company... The tone of their thoughts makes me feel like I'm being hustled!

I hope everyone manages this upset without too much agony or frustration...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:25:49 (permalink)
Network solutions will give you 300GB storage and unlimited bandwidth for $120 a year and they have been 24/7/365 for the past two decades.

But, there is a catch. You have to know how to use a ftp application. :-S

Oh my.

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:40:42 (permalink)
mike_mccue
Network solutions will give you 300GB storage and unlimited bandwidth for $120 a year and they have been 24/7/365 for the past two decades.

But, there is a catch. You have to know how to use a ftp application. :-S

Oh my.

I'm fine with FTP and occasionally use it, but the tiem it takes me to teach a client to use it, i could have walked cross country and delivered files by hand.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:42:39 (permalink)
I've been following and talking to Gobbler for almost a year now because I've had high hopes for an update that made collaborating on projects with one or more people easier. In their 2.0 remodel of the system, they have pretty much failed in every way possible so at this point in time, I'm completely writing them off.

One of the biggest annoyances I had with Gobbler was not having quick access to a friends list so I could instantly share with certain people a project I was working on and we wouldn't have to have 15 different files and 15 different versions of the same song. While you can add people to a single project in 2.0 it seems, it's still lagging behind in remembering who people were so you didn't have to constantly add them to projects via their email. This is a basic issue that should have been taken care of long ago.

The other major issue I had with them was price vs product. The amount of space you get for the price is laughable when compared to modern cloud storage. I get 1TB of storage with my Microsoft Office 365 account right now which is like $10/mo because I use multiple computers, otherwise it would be like $7/mo. Google Drive gives you like 15GB free... the list goes on. Gobbler wanted some outrageous fee for a tiny amount of space and it was very laughable. The only thing that set them apart was that they were built in to some DAWs now. Now they have said the model is going to change but I'm not putting stock in that.

We'll see how things pan out but what I've gathered from them thus far, I'm not impressed with the way they are doing things.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:48:17 (permalink)
soens
Anderton
Completely OT, .... 

Aren't I usually?!

Actually I was referring to my comment...most folks here don't comment on the quality of other peoples' writing

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 20:57:40 (permalink)
When you decide to put your music on a cloud, you should get insurance.
You never know when it will rain.
Just sayin!
digimidi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 21:12:47 (permalink)
Gobbler is scaring me.  I think I'll stick to my portable hard drives for now.  

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
http://daveowenmusic.com/
http://fabulous52s.com/
https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 21:48:51 (permalink)
What a shambles. Glad that Gobbler are making some attempt to come back from it and do the right thing, but it inspires absolutely no long-term confidence in them. I certainly won't touch them with a barge pole now, unless they manage to become a years-on-end-solid proposition. I suspect this will ruin their reputation, possibly fatally.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 21:53:11 (permalink)
I mean, without wanting to stick the boot in, to me, they've just demonstrated that they fundamentally don't understand the point of back-up.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 22:37:14 (permalink)
I still get the feeling from some of the anti-cloud comments I've read on this thread and others that a common presumption is that people are using clouds as their sole form of backup. While I'm sure there are a few people who are this misguided, I think the majority are using cloud as one of multiple backups. I have all my stuff on an external and occasionally I will burn to a DVD as well. The cloud is a safety net in case something happens to ALL of your home backups (and that isn't as unlikely as some would like to believe - think fire or flood). 

Plus as much as services like OneDrive and Dropbox are great, they don't offer a revision history. This was the one feature that kept me hooked on Gobbler. Sometimes you lose your way with a project and think "damn, that Rhodes part was perfect until I started screwing with it." So easy to fire up Gobbler and download a version from a few days ago, extract what you need, and import it into your current version. There was also a "rollback" button to swap your current version with an older version, but I never used that. 

I'd still be over the moon with Gobbler if it wasn't for today's shenanigans. But given that they're still giving us no idea as to when a Windows version of 2.0 will be available, I'll be shopping around for an alternative. If someone can point me toward one which has the same functionality and convenience of Gobbler for a similar or cheaper price then I'll be very grateful. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/13 23:10:38 (permalink)
I just un-installed it. I wasn't using it anyway and I'm sure not going to in the future.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 00:07:41 (permalink)
I find it odd that I am a gobbler client and have received none of these emails...

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 02:49:02 (permalink)
It appears Gobbler does not own their own servers, and the concept for collaboration is okay, but for backups is flawed especially regarding bandwidth. FWIW, a personal domain with unlimited storage runs around 6USD a month, and there are free tools to synch files out there, but bandwidth is again the true issue with "cloud."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 07:44:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2014/11/14 11:58:57
Share the love:

http://developer.gobbler.com/revenue-co-marketing/

Revenue & Co-Marketing

We believe in sharing the love: When your users sign up for Gobbler through your app, you get 15% of their subscription fees. Forever. We also love co-marketing to promote our partners online, at events, meetups, etc. For more information, contact bizdev@gobbler.com

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 08:09:54 (permalink)
mike_mccue
Share the love:

http://developer.gobbler.com/revenue-co-marketing/

Revenue & Co-Marketing

We believe in sharing the love: When your users sign up for Gobbler through your app, you get 15% of their subscription fees. Forever. We also love co-marketing to promote our partners online, at events, meetups, etc. For more information, contact bizdev@gobbler.com

Wow,  that makes it sound like a pyramid scheme...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

soens
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 08:25:35 (permalink)
Anderton
soens
Anderton
Completely OT, .... 

Aren't I usually?!

Actually I was referring to my comment...most folks here don't comment on the quality of other peoples' writing

Yeah that could've gone either way I guess. .... so I get an A then? (even tho my name wasn't on the paper)
Atsuko
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 365
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 09:34:04 (permalink)
Since the beginning, I had a bad feeling about Gobbler, fortunately, I followed my instincts and never used it...

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will [now NOT] be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 10:14:07 (permalink)
What? Our free cloud storage is shutting down?
You can't be cirrus.

- - - > actually, never used it. Don't trust it.

Looks like Gobbler's reign is over.

Or, perhaps, all of our songs just suck so bad, the cloud just wants them the hail out of there.

stop me before I pun again!

-Tom

p.s. here's a non-pun thanks to Bob Bone, who wrote an AWESOME post about Kontakt 5 mulit-track integration into Sonar which saved me many cpu cycles of painful thought.  Bob, you rock.

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will [now NOT] be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 12:26:14 (permalink)

Just out of interest, how much are the various paid for Gobbler accounts?

I've just been scanning around their website and I can't find any prices anywhere

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Your Gobbler 1.0 files will [now NOT] be deleted after December 1st 2014/11/14 12:37:27 (permalink)
Obviously, they aren't selling any new 1.0 accounts and 2.0 is in beta, so they aren't selling anything at the moment.

laudem Deo
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1