Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Author
Frank-US
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 16:01:20 (permalink)
Amicus717
Thanks, much appreciated. The Long & Mcquade guy was pretty shocked when I mentioned Cakewalk closing and the Cubase deal. They sell Cakewalk products but they had heard nothing about Cakewalk closing up shop. They sell the full range of Cakewalk products, including retail box stuff. I'm pretty surprised this information hasn't been passed along Cakewalk's distribution channels...

Yes, astonishing. I mean, that chap should know.
Whatever, we are already on the case and do hope that we come back with more infos next week (for many, it is already weekend)
Best,
Frank
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 16:28:34 (permalink)
Another misstep by Gibson. Any organization that isn't notifying all their retailers immediately in this circumstance is showing lack of concern for others. Embarrassing is the word I'd use.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 17:52:47 (permalink)
Frank-US
michael diemer
Fortunately I do have a dongle. I had to get one for my Vienna Instruments library. But they have something called the 9.5 demo project. Not sure what that is, but it's under 1 GB, so can't be much of a demo. I'll see tomorrow what I have, the download should be done by then.

The 9.5 demo project is the demo song.

Ah, the mystery is solved. Good thing I went ahead and downloaded the 11GB file.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

LMG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 19:31:34 (permalink)
Frank-US
mudgel
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 

Dear Frank. Are you a Steinberg rep? Would you be so kind to clarify the following situations/concerns for all of us that want to move to Cubase but are outside of the US:

My local distributor is not aware of this special and not even have Cubase 9. So I need and want to purchase it online. My concern is regarding activation of geo-tagged software, support and updates.

SCENARIOS

SCENARIO 1
I go on vacation to US. Purchase the Cubase crossgrade download from Sweetwater. Activate the product while I'm in the US and then go back to my country.

1.a) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

1.b) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

1.c) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

SCENARIO 2
I go to the US on vacation and buy a BOXED product of Cubase. If I go back to my country and try to activate it, it won'twork because all boxed Cubase sold in the US are geo-tagged to be used only in the US?

SCENARIO 3
If I purchase a boxed version of Cubase from ANY store other than the local distributor for my country, it will never work?

SCENARIO 4
If in any way I am lucky to get the Crossgrade download and I get the famous message "The activation code you entered was intended for use within the USA and you seem to be located outside the USA. While you can still proceed to activate the license, you might not receive any official technical customer support or updates in case you are located outside the USA as this version may be a Gray import." And proceed to activate it.

4.a) is that legal from Steinberg's point of view? Am I a legit user from Steinberg's point of view?

4.b) will I receive support from Steinberg.net?

4.c) will I be able to legally receive updates as well as purchase future upgrades?

Thank you in advance!
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 19:52:42 (permalink)
riojazz
fwrend
riojazz
There does not appear to be info in the 1064 page manual specifically about the differences.  There is a section about the Artist version but no description of what is missing that you would get in the Pro version.

Cubase Version Comparison

EDIT: oops, missed the end of 35mm's post - oh well :)

Thanks, but that's what I mentioned in the post has NO detail.  All it says is professional notation versus basic notation.

I am now demoing Pro, and have been able to expand to 8 bars across the page. You can do more if you want. The relevant info can be found here:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/midi_editor_score_editor/designing_your_score_additional_techniques/score_editor_automatically_c.html

The first option is what you want to do.
I'm now trying to figure out how to select any number of notes, like 12 bars worth, but so  far no luck, except to reduce zoom. I just asked on their forum about this.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 20:09:08 (permalink)
LMG

Dear Frank. Are you a Steinberg rep? Would you be so kind to clarify the following situations/concerns for all of us that want to move to Cubase but are outside of the US:

My local distributor is not aware of this special and not even have Cubase 9. So I need and want to purchase it online. My concern is regarding activation of geo-tagged software, support and updates.

LMG, your profile doesn't mention where you're from, but if you are from Canada like I am, and looking for the Cubase upgrade cost: I've made local inquiries with some Canadian stores who have all said they will get back to me about it, and Frank (who certainly sounds like a Cubase rep) has mentioned that access to the product in Canada will be made possible - if it isn't already. 

I hadn't planned on even considering Cubase, but after trying the Essentials demo -- and being pretty impressed with it -- I'm actual entertaining the idea of bringing Cubase on as my back-up / eventual main tool.

Update: the guy from my local store just called me back, said their Steinberg rep told him that something is being worked out in Canada, and they'd have more information by the end of next week. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 21:23:57 (permalink)
Cubase 9.5 boxed arrived (to me in the UK) from Germany today, I ordered on Tuesday.

I paid the extra £6 for media and saved a bit of downloading, it would have been a largish download with the Halion and Groove Agent content etc. This content went to my sample drive without too much bother. The location selection was certainly more obvious than that in the 8.5 demo.

First i made a disk image, which I will keep as a frozen in time "Sonar was working" image. Installation and activation was straightforward. I was able to use my existing eLicenser which has another license on it, I did not see the option to order a copy without the eLicencer, so now I have a spare.

It has remembered the default project location folder I set up for the 8.5 demo, even though that had been uninstalled.

Looking at the VST blacklist, most are 32 bit, then there are Korg Legacy collection which has lost its activation after a windows update yet again. The only point of concern is Izotope, the VST2 have been blacklisted, I hope because its using VST3 versions. I managed to insert an instance of Iris, I will check the rest out in due course.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
LMG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 21:25:12 (permalink)
Amicus717
LMG

LMG, your profile doesn't mention where you're from, but if you are from Canada like I am, and looking for the Cubase upgrade cost: I've made local inquiries with some Canadian stores who have all said they will get back to me about it, and Frank (who certainly sounds like a Cubase rep) has mentioned that access to the product in Canada will be made possible - if it isn't already. 

I hadn't planned on even considering Cubase, but after trying the Essentials demo -- and being pretty impressed with it -- I'm actual entertaining the idea of bringing Cubase on as my back-up / eventual main tool.

Update: the guy from my local store just called me back, said their Steinberg rep told him that something is being worked out in Canada, and they'd have more information by the end of next week. 

Hey! Thanks for your input. Actually, I'm from Argentina. But same situation as yours as well as everyone who tried to place the order through Sweetwater and it was declined (except for our aussie friend Mudgel who somehow made it through). Let's see what information Frank can give us.
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 23:04:13 (permalink)
Folks, it is quite late over here... We have contacted in the meantime again the distribution partners that are not Europe or US. If this does not workout for want ever reason, we will have a plan B.

Every Sonar Customer who wants to check out the trial or want to cross-grade is welcome.
And we will find ways to make this happen for those who running into problems.

Best as always,
Frank
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 23:59:34 (permalink)
Genuinely appreciate that, Frank. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
LMG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 02:47:43 (permalink)
Frank-US
Folks, it is quite late over here... We have contacted in the meantime again the distribution partners that are not Europe or US. If this does not workout for want ever reason, we will have a plan B.

Every Sonar Customer who wants to check out the trial or want to cross-grade is welcome.
And we will find ways to make this happen for those who running into problems.

Best as always,
Frank

Finally some words of hope from Steinberg for those of us who want to move to Cubase and are having difficulties getting the crossgrade offer in our countries. Thank you Frank. We really appreciate it.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 03:44:12 (permalink)
i just purchased the crossgrade deal of sweetwather and got this mail.

Hi A˜yvind,

We are so sorry for the delay in delivering your software... While most software orders process immediately, something about your order did not verify correctly. This can usually be resolved quickly during business hours. We have assigned someone to investigate and personally see your order through the system. We'll contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

Your friends at Sweetwater.

Do i need to document my Sonar or something?

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 04:38:33 (permalink)
LMG

I don't know what the issue might be.  I do know that Sweetwater was insanely busy this week.  In addition to the SONAR crossgrade, I bought an amp that had just arrived in stock.  Normally those orders go out in an hour or two.  This one didn't actually go out until the end of the next business day, which is really unheard of with Sweetwater.  My rep said the place was running nuts. There were lots of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals that were left running all week.

I'm sure they will take care of you if you phone in on Saturday morning.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Rob from Sydney
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 09:32:24 (permalink)
Thanks for your update Teclark7!

For those playing along internationally, I've got onto a retailer here in Australia who is following up with Yamaha.  The advice was they are still in the process of organising pricing.

So that at least sounds promising, at least something is in the works (and matches up with Frank's notes above).  Thanks also Frank for joining Steinberg back into this thread, the more detailed information is appreciated.

I'm not in a massive rush except just don't want to miss out completely, but more to set myself up to start learning an alternative for the future, and given my key interest is better notation Cubase seems an ideal way to go.  So for now I'll wait and see what gets sorted out, I'm kind of nervous about the same questions LMG raises, if I end up with a US copy/serial, will it make life harder when trying to update from 9.5 to 10 eventually, etc.

Rob

Rob | Sydney NSW Australia 
Sonar Platinum (x64) | Win 10 Pro
Core 2 Duo E8400 | 4GB RAM
Edirol UA-25 | Edirol PCR-M30 | Nord Stage EX Compact
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 13:15:53 (permalink)
It won’t. It’s all legitimate. And as for no Aussie support. I think the fact that it’s still being discussed here, while in the rest of the world the deal is done and available. That’s pretty indicative of Aussie software support of overseas products.

With the conversion to aussie dollars I paid $400 including the dongle. If the Aussie price comes in under $489 I’d be very surprised. Don’t forget there’s GST to pay too. And the wait because there’s no physical stock of 9.5 in Australia according to my source.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
LMG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 14:41:34 (permalink)
Jarsve

Hi A˜yvind,

We are so sorry for the delay in delivering your software... While most software orders process immediately, something about your order did not verify correctly. This can usually be resolved quickly during business hours. We have assigned someone to investigate and personally see your order through the system. We'll contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

Your friends at Sweetwater.

Well, that's the message we all got before getting our orders declined. You might be lucky, though. Keep us posted.
ØSkald
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 20:57:31 (permalink)
They say I can’t use the software out of the US because of legal issues. I can order it by giving them a US address but later the program will complain then it finds out it is not in the US.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
ØSkald
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 20:59:18 (permalink)
Will we ever get a cross grade lisence in Europe and other non US places?

ØSkald
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 21:05:49 (permalink)
I guess I misunderstood his post. It will work, but it will be a wrong time zone. I didn’t know a DAW had a time zone.

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/02 23:35:48 (permalink)
Jarsve
Will we ever get a cross grade licence in Europe and other non US places?
I purchased my crossgrade in Europe (UK) direct from Steinberg. It was shipped from Germany. The issues appear to occur outside of Europe or the USA.

Before I retired I encountered (non music) software companies that imposed geographically limited licensing, this was a right pain as our business was very mobile and international.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Detwoen
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 07:20:32 (permalink)
For those Aussie Sonar users that are having trouble locating the Cubase crossgrade offer, Turramurra Music is offering Sonar only crossgrades to Cubase 9 for $399 AUD.
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 13:29:19 (permalink)
Joe_A
Another misstep by Gibson. Any organization that isn't notifying all their retailers immediately in this circumstance is showing lack of concern for others. Embarrassing is the word I'd use.

To be fair, the notification could be sitting unread in an email box or a pile of unopened mail.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 15:44:16 (permalink)
Hi everyone,
As mentioned we work on a solution for people that facing troubles to purchase the crossgrade offer. We plan to have everything ready by Wednesday.
From Wednesday on, everyone should be able, to buy the crossgrade directly from the Steinberg online shop.
I will come back here, the moment everything is up and running.
Best,
Frank
LMG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 16:36:38 (permalink)
Frank-US
Hi everyone,
As mentioned we work on a solution for people that facing troubles to purchase the crossgrade offer. We plan to have everything ready by Wednesday.
From Wednesday on, everyone should be able, to buy the crossgrade directly from the Steinberg online shop.
Best,
Frank

THAT'S GREAT NEWS !!!! That's what I call Customer Support! THANK YOU !!!
LMG
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 16:40:22 (permalink)
Frank-US
Hi everyone,
Best,
Frank

And please, make it available as a DOWNLOAD option, not just the boxed version. It will make it easier both to customers and to Steinberg. THANK YOU!
Joe_A
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 16:58:01 (permalink)
DrLumen
Joe_A

To be fair, the notification could be sitting unread in an email box or a pile of unopened mail.

IMHO a notification of this sort to retailers would be a series of communications over a period of time. Coordinating pre-Cake closing, through closing, what to do with any inventory, future goals, conveying "But Gibson is still strong etc etc" ( which may or may not be true). But more that just one email to one person at each Retailer.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
DrLumen
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 18:41:47 (permalink)
Joe_A
DrLumen
Joe_A

IMHO a notification of this sort to retailers would be a series of communications over a period of time. Coordinating pre-Cake closing, through closing, what to do with any inventory, future goals, conveying "But Gibson is still strong etc etc" ( which may or may not be true). But more that just one email to one person at each Retailer.

I would go so far as to speculate that Gibson has a vendor/retailer channel website that they can log into to get the  latest news, create orders, billing, service advisories... but, again, that depends on someone at the stores logging in and actually READING the latest bulletins.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 20:29:53 (permalink)
LMG
Frank-US
Hi everyone,
Best,
Frank

And please, make it available as a DOWNLOAD option, not just the boxed version. It will make it easier both to customers and to Steinberg. THANK YOU!

Yes, it will be download.

Best,
Frank
Joe_A
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/04 21:16:12 (permalink)
Detwoen
For those Aussie Sonar users that are having trouble locating the Cubase crossgrade offer, Turramurra Music is offering Sonar only crossgrades to Cubase 9 for $399 AUD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
In the US isn't a cross grade approx 255.00, or was it 355.00 give or take? I thought I saved the earlier numbers bouncing around but can't promptly find it.
*Hey I'm sure I put it somewhere safe so I'd be able to find it and when someday I do I'll remember where. 😁😁

cyberzip
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/05 15:39:43 (permalink)
Does Cubase have an equivalent Ripple Edit function?

Thanks for input!
Page: << < ..1617 > Showing page 16 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1