Helpful Replymessage from Greg Ondo of Steinberg

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 17
Author
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 05:38:48 (permalink)
Installation of Cubase Pro 9.5 went without a hitch this time but I can’t get any further until I have my eLicencer.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Frank-US
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 09:31:16 (permalink)
rmfegley
He said it displays whatever is selected in the track view, which would mean you have to switch views to select different tracks to edit? Yeesh, I hope I missed something. 

Not 100% sure if I have understood your problem. If you have the piano roll in the lower zone, there is no switch of view. It stays there and reflects the part/parts you want to edit.
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 09:34:57 (permalink)
cparmerlee
bwbalint
It will be good to learn things in a new program from a slightly different angle.

Likewise, the routing on SONAR is far more elegant.  With Cubase, if you want to have a reverb bus, you create an "effects track" and send to it.  But as far as I can tell, you can put only that one effect on each effects track -- again, just like most digital boards.  With SONAR, you send to a bus, and the bus can have any combination of effects and processing you desire.

That is similar in Cubase. The FX-Bus (track) can host several FX.
Rob from Sydney
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 09:59:21 (permalink)
Thanks Mudgel - well done and good luck!

I got two emails from a sales engineer at Sweetwater (same person both times); No.1:
We are so sorry for the delay in delivering your software... While most software orders process immediately, something about your order did not verify correctly. This can usually be resolved quickly during business hours. We have assigned someone to investigate and personally see your order through the system. We'll contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!
Your friends at Sweetwater.

No.2:
Robert, thank you for your order but unfortunately that is a software that we'd only be able to sell in the United States.

Meanwhile I'm chasing up some local retailers who will see what they can find from Yamaha Australia, otherwise ask directly myself to them.

Rob | Sydney NSW Australia 
Sonar Platinum (x64) | Win 10 Pro
Core 2 Duo E8400 | 4GB RAM
Edirol UA-25 | Edirol PCR-M30 | Nord Stage EX Compact
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 10:58:32 (permalink)
Frank-US
rmfegley
He said it displays whatever is selected in the track view, which would mean you have to switch views to select different tracks to edit? Yeesh, I hope I missed something. 

Not 100% sure if I have understood your problem. If you have the piano roll in the lower zone, there is no switch of view. It stays there and reflects the part/parts you want to edit.

Also - If you have several tracks selected (using dragging or select with Ctrl hold down), and go to the full piano roll view, you see all notes in those tracks by the color of the tracks. You can edit all notes at the same time, or make a selection (in fact a track selection) using an roll-down menu and edit the selected track without moving something in another track by mistake. So no need to switch between piano roll and track view.
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 11:11:56 (permalink)
You can fly the PRV out to a separate window on another screen; same for the mixer.  

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
JClosed
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 11:16:24 (permalink)
35mm
No, sound, latency and everything else is fine. It's just the GUI/interface that is running really slow on my machine. Like, mouse click on a tab or drop-down option, or try to resize a track and it updates really slow. I am also noticing that sliding a fader is slow and jerky, and the meters are jerky too. Some VSTs GUIs are also affected the same way when running in Cubase, but not in Sonar - I tried AAS Ultra Analog and the midi light and output meter was slow and laggy. It must be something on my system, but I don't know what. Like I said, all my other software works fine. I may have to try a reinstall. At the moment it's reminiscent of browsing a media-intensive web page with the old 56K dial-up modem! Or, very much like when the CPU is maxed out and the refresh rate drops right down. However, the CPU is not maxed out at all.

Another issue I am having is that I posted about this problem in the Cubase forum. As it was my first post it has to be moderated before it gets approved. I posted it about 10 hours ago and it still hasn't been approved :(

Well - I do not see that kind of problems on my system. But as I said, I have an old "professional" Nvidia Quadro card, with older drivers that I have locked to avoid updates (the newer Nvidia Quadro drivers do not work well with older hardware). As your card works fine with all your other software, there must be something weird going on. Do you use Geforce Experience? That is a terrible piece of software that I have removed from all my systems, because it slows down everything. The Nvidia Shield drivers are also known to slow down systems (especially games can lag, so I think other programs too). You could try to upgrade your card. You do not need a powerful card, so a cheap but newer Nvidia card will do. Other than that, I really have no idea.

I hope you get access to the Cubase forums fast. I am a regular visitor there (and use the same username as I use here).
teclark7
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 11:28:07 (permalink)
Rob from Sydney:

I'm in Australia too and I had problems at first with Sweetwater but mudgel put me on the straight path. Installing and activating now. Will PM you.

Sonar Platinum, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7 6800K, 64.0GB, Asus X99-E, Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, ATI AMD Radeon 5850

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 15:39:05 (permalink)
Frank-US
cparmerlee
bwbalint
It will be good to learn things in a new program from a slightly different angle.

Likewise, the routing on SONAR is far more elegant.  With Cubase, if you want to have a reverb bus, you create an "effects track" and send to it.  But as far as I can tell, you can put only that one effect on each effects track -- again, just like most digital boards.  With SONAR, you send to a bus, and the bus can have any combination of effects and processing you desire.

OK thanks.  I spent a few hours with Cubase last night and found it pretty easy to work in.  As mentioned above, it feels more like a portable digital board (StudioLive or X32) to me than SONAR, which seems more "orthogonal" if that makes any sense.  I can get similar results and once up the learning curve, I think the productivity will be about the same.

From what I have seen so far, SONAR is way ahead in visual feedback, especially with its included plug-ins.  Other than the main meter, there is almost no visual feedback anywhere in Cubase, not even in the EQ.  That's OK because I will probably use 3rd party plugs in most cases anyway.  But I do like seeing the compressor work, and seeing the frequency spectrum in the EQ module, etc.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
JClosed
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 16:31:30 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Frank-US
cparmerlee
bwbalint

OK thanks.  I spent a few hours with Cubase last night and found it pretty easy to work in.  As mentioned above, it feels more like a portable digital board (StudioLive or X32) to me than SONAR, which seems more "orthogonal" if that makes any sense.  I can get similar results and once up the learning curve, I think the productivity will be about the same.

From what I have seen so far, SONAR is way ahead in visual feedback, especially with its included plug-ins.  Other than the main meter, there is almost no visual feedback anywhere in Cubase, not even in the EQ.  That's OK because I will probably use 3rd party plugs in most cases anyway.  But I do like seeing the compressor work, and seeing the frequency spectrum in the EQ module, etc.

The standard equalizer in the channel strip gives visual feedback. Just select an audio track and click on "Equalizers" in the inspector to get e small visual presentation. To get a bigger presentation, click on the "e" in the inspector and the channel settings window opens. There you can select the "Equalizer" tab to bring up a more detailed view.

On the insert side. Cubase Pro is shipped with the full version of Voxengo CurveEQ. This is really a great plugin that gives good graphical EQ feedback can be enlarged as big as you want (It has far more functions, but that is something you have to find out for yourself).

Cat Cave
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 18:19:07 (permalink)
I took the offer yesterday. A reciept in my mailbox but how long is it before i get it? Dongle and box that is.
I think it ships from Germany and i live in Sweden.
Sad? Not really. I have had my fair share of troubleshooting.
This is an opportunity to learn something new. 
Cheers!

i7 4790, 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro.
Roland Quad Capture UA-55.
Sonar Platinum.
Works like a charm.
beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 19:14:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cat Cave 2017/11/30 20:17:28
Cat Cave
I took the offer yesterday. A reciept in my mailbox but how long is it before i get it? Dongle and box that is.
I think it ships from Germany and i live in Sweden.
Sad? Not really. I have had my fair share of troubleshooting.
This is an opportunity to learn something new. 
Cheers!

I'm in the same situation (Germany shipping to Sweden) but on the east coast. Ordered Sunday got the stuff (media and key) this morning (Thursday) by UPS.
w.joyce
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 20:37:48 (permalink)
why is the U.S crossgrade so much cheaper than the UK or euro offer? its about the the same price in pounds as it is in dollars which is outrageous its about 60 pounds more here.
Cat Cave
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 20:46:00 (permalink)
w.joyce
why is the U.S crossgrade so much cheaper than the UK or euro offer? its about the the same price in pounds as it is in dollars which is outrageous its about 60 pounds more here.

Tax? I paid 25% vat, EU.

i7 4790, 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro.
Roland Quad Capture UA-55.
Sonar Platinum.
Works like a charm.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 20:49:35 (permalink)
JClosed
The standard equalizer in the channel strip gives visual feedback. Just select an audio track and click on "Equalizers" in the inspector to get e small visual presentation. To get a bigger presentation, click on the "e" in the inspector and the channel settings window opens. There you can select the "Equalizer" tab to bring up a more detailed view.

Wow, that's a long way to go to get the window to open.  I was working on the equalizer in the mix window.  I would have expected some way to open the big window from there.  This stuff feels like you need a "secret handshake" for so many things that ought to be simple.  Last night, I enabled the Control Room, which was easy.  There was a big button in the middle of the Control Room display.  Later I was afraid this had created to redundant pathing so I wanted to simple disable the control room.  I literally searched for over an hour, including going through many articles in the Cubase documentation before i finally figured out you have to press F4 to set another window to pop up -- which doesn't match any of the documentation I saw.  On the pop-up window, there is a button to turn off the Control Room.

It seems really twisted to me that such a button would not actually be on the Control Room panel itself.

In the end, the CR was not my problem anyway.  That ended up being a different issue outside of Cubase.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
w.joyce
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/11/30 20:50:43 (permalink)
if you buy at sweetwater its 190 pounds including vat we shouldn't have to pay that much extra its 275 euro which is 242 pounds here in the uk.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 02:06:50 (permalink)
Re: the Cubase demo, does anyone know if you're supposed to download the full 11.75 GB Cubase 9.5, or the Demo Project 9.5? I'm downloading the full one, but at my download speed it's going to take all night.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 03:12:31 (permalink)
Cat Cave
Tax? I paid 25% vat, EU.

That’s only fair since you have a functioning government. 😉
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 03:12:53 (permalink)
michael diemer
Re: the Cubase demo, does anyone know if you're supposed to download the full 11.75 GB Cubase 9.5, or the Demo Project 9.5? I'm downloading the full one, but at my download speed it's going to take all night.

only if you already have an elicense USB stick.  if you don't, then you won't be able to use the Pro version, so download the elements version instead which does not require the USB elicenser.

from the website:
You are already using a Cubase version or another product with a USB-eLicenser? Then check out our comprehensive top-of-the-line DAW — Cubase Pro 9.5

that means you have to have the elicenser in order to use the Pro demo.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 04:35:57 (permalink)
Fortunately I do have a dongle. I had to get one for my Vienna Instruments library. But they have something called the 9.5 demo project. Not sure what that is, but it's under 1 GB, so can't be much of a demo. I'll see tomorrow what I have, the download should be done by then.

I've already demoed Elements, and I have AI from my purchase of the UR-22, so I have something of an idea of how it works. I had imported a project and figured out how to configure everything for midi, it's faitly intuitive. I'm mainly interested in what the score editor looks like. The one in all the lower level versions is even worse than Sonar's.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

mudgel
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 08:46:09 (permalink)
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

Still a mystery why I didn't have to provide any details of my Sonar membership/ownership to confirm my eligibility for this crossgrade.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 08:58:12 (permalink)
michael diemer
Fortunately I do have a dongle. I had to get one for my Vienna Instruments library. But they have something called the 9.5 demo project. Not sure what that is, but it's under 1 GB, so can't be much of a demo. I'll see tomorrow what I have, the download should be done by then.

I've already demoed Elements, and I have AI from my purchase of the UR-22, so I have something of an idea of how it works. I had imported a project and figured out how to configure everything for midi, it's faitly intuitive. I'm mainly interested in what the score editor looks like. The one in all the lower level versions is even worse than Sonar's.

The 9.5 demo project is the demo song.
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 09:02:00 (permalink)
mudgel
My USB dongle for Cubase arrived this afternoon and it all went without a hitch. I'm now an activated Cubase user.

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 
JClosed
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 10:15:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/12/01 14:23:26
cparmerlee
JClosed

Wow, that's a long way to go to get the window to open.  I was working on the equalizer in the mix window.  I would have expected some way to open the big window from there.  This stuff feels like you need a "secret handshake" for so many things that ought to be simple.  Last night, I enabled the Control Room, which was easy.  There was a big button in the middle of the Control Room display.  Later I was afraid this had created to redundant pathing so I wanted to simple disable the control room.  I literally searched for over an hour, including going through many articles in the Cubase documentation before i finally figured out you have to press F4 to set another window to pop up -- which doesn't match any of the documentation I saw.  On the pop-up window, there is a button to turn off the Control Room.

It seems really twisted to me that such a button would not actually be on the Control Room panel itself.

In the end, the CR was not my problem anyway.  That ended up being a different issue outside of Cubase.

Well - you can simply assign a key to the channel settings. You do that by going to the file menu and choose "key Commands", search for "Channel Settings", and assign a key. I personally have "`" assigned for that. And now, when I have a track selected, I simply press "`" to open the channel settings. I can scroll up and down tracks using the arrow keys, and the channel settings window changes to that channel. Very handy to compare settings or signals.

Oh - and when you have clicked once on "Equalizers" in the inspector, it stays open when you switch between channels, so you only have to do one click.

And yes - when you start dabbling with a new program, you have to find your way in it and have to learn some new things. Next time you know you have to press "F4" for the Audio connections (and "F2" for the floating transport window, "F3" for the mixer, "F5" for the media bay, "F6 for the automation panel, "F7" for Direct offline processing, "F8" for the video player, "F9" and "F10" for switching up/down between edit modes, like you also can do with keys 1-0, "F11" is VST instruments and finally "F12" is the performance meter").

Every DAW has some new things to learn and does some things different. In Cubase you can assign key commands very easy, and for more complex things you can design your own macro's.
mudgel
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 10:43:46 (permalink)
Frank-US
mudgel

As I have mentioned in a another thread, I could not answer your PM since I'm allowed by the system yet.
My answer would have been what you have experienced - don't expect big problems 

Appreciate your answer here.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

bwbalint
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 12:21:40 (permalink)
I did get TouchOSC working with Cubase last night. I used this on my phone to remotely control Sonar. AZSlow had come up with a simple and workable template to remotely choose tracks, arm and record. I can’t use the same template right now, but I have TouchOSC at least responding to Cubase. So this is possible!

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 12:40:35 (permalink)
mudgel

Still a mystery why I didn't have to provide any details of my Sonar membership/ownership to confirm my eligibility for this crossgrade.

Strange, I received a verification email and replied with a snip of my Sonar serial number, response was pretty quick.

I've downloaded it last night, will check it out tonight or over the weekend.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 15:08:55 (permalink)
Does anyone know how long the welcome crossgrade promotion is going to run? All I have found in terms of information is "for a limited time"...have they mentioned a specific end-date anywhere? I've searched the forum, but there is so much Cubase static on the forum and so many posts to sort through, I didn't find anything.

I do find Steinberg to be the hardest company to get information out of, both in terms of their website and their general sales channels. I'm still looking for a Canadian distributor with updated information on this crossgrade -- the Yamaha Canada site, which is listed as the official distribution channel for Steinberg in Canada, still shows Cubase 7.5 as the most current version...

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/steinberg_products/steinberg_software/cubase/index.html

I asked one of the dudes at Long & McQuade (Canada's answer to Guitar Centre) and the dude didn't even know what I was talking about. But he said he'd look into it...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Frank-US
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 15:19:19 (permalink)
Amicus717
Does anyone know how long the welcome crossgrade promotion is going to run? All I have found in terms of information is "for a limited time"...have they mentioned a specific end-date anywhere? I've searched the forum, but there is so much Cubase static on the forum and so many posts to sort through, I didn't find anything.

I do find Steinberg to be the hardest company to get information out of, both in terms of their website and their general sales channels. I'm still looking for a Canadian distributor with updated information on this crossgrade -- the Yamaha Canada site, which is listed as the official distribution channel for Steinberg in Canada, still shows Cubase 7.5 as the most current version...

I asked one of the dudes at Long & McQuade (Canada's answer to Guitar Centre) and the dude didn't even know what I was talking about. But he said he'd look into it...

The offer should last until end of December. We will follow up what went wrong there. And we will find a solution for that problem.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Frank
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: message from Greg Ondo of Steinberg 2017/12/01 15:47:43 (permalink)
Thanks, much appreciated. The Long & Mcquade guy was pretty shocked when I mentioned Cakewalk closing and the Cubase deal. They sell Cakewalk products but they had heard nothing about Cakewalk closing up shop. They sell the full range of Cakewalk products, including retail box stuff. I'm pretty surprised this information hasn't been passed along Cakewalk's distribution channels...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 17
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1