Clips and loop start point

Author
Pokuman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2009/03/04 20:11:56 (permalink)

Clips and loop start point

how can I get sonar to display the complete midi clip after a recording. ( as per loop start and end point)

Sonar only creates midi clips from where the note on is detected. When copying or moving the clips I then have to make sure that the left of the clip is aligned to the start of the bar so that the notes are relatively in the same position.

I hope my explanation makes sense. Could be something simple but i just haven't quite figured that out yet.

thanks

Win 7 64bit. Sonar 8.5.2 (64b), Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
Intel Q9650, 4 Gig RAM, M-Audio projectmix i/o
300 GB SATA drive + Maxtor 720GB fw/7200rpm, Motu 828 mk2, E-MU Xboard 61, Fostex PM04, Tascam US428 and some older stuff.

6 Replies Related Threads

Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/04 20:38:14 (permalink)
    Hi-

Just slip-edit the edges (put the mouse at each edge until the cursor becomes a rectangle and drag). This is easiest if you have Snap To Grid on, set to Measure. To turn it into a Groove Clip, press Ctr-L. Don't use Bounce to Clips on it, though, or it'll go back to the original length.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/04 21:18:06 (permalink)
    What Susan said.

Alternately, you can set the Snap options to "Snap By" and you can then drag-copy/move the clip to exact time units (measures, quarters, etc.) no matter where the clip actually starts.

But yeah, I often like my clips to start on bars, even if there's nothing actually in the first ticks of the clip. It's visually better. Especially MIDI clips for some reason. Susan's suggestion is the way to insure that.

Hmmm would an option to always have MIDI clips start on the bar (or maybe on the current snap interval...?), even if the data starts later, be worthwhile....?
    Pokuman
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/05 03:45:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi-

Just slip-edit the edges (put the mouse at each edge until the cursor becomes a rectangle and drag). This is easiest if you have Snap To Grid on, set to Measure.

-Susan

hi,

tnx for your reply.

that's what I do now, but of course forget from time to time. until i realize that the timing in copied parts is completely off.

Pokuman
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/05 04:02:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

What Susan said.

Alternately, you can set the Snap options to "Snap By" and you can then drag-copy/move the clip to exact time units (measures, quarters, etc.) no matter where the clip actually starts.

But yeah, I often like my clips to start on bars, even if there's nothing actually in the first ticks of the clip. It's visually better. Especially MIDI clips for some reason. Susan's suggestion is the way to insure that.

Hmmm would an option to always have MIDI clips start on the bar (or maybe on the current snap interval...?), even if the data starts later, be worthwhile....?

The snap by/move by option is probably best for my way of working. I have this setting now on. I have the snap properties always on measures, especially during midi recording. Thanks for this suggestion!

worthwhile, not sure. certainly handy cause I also find it easier to work with the bars...
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/05 05:23:43 (permalink)
    i was wondering also if there was any hidden setting to get the clip lenght as long as the loop selection per default - the fact that you have to make 2 edits to every recorded midiclip is extremely annoying imo....
    also i havent figured out yet how (or if) its possibel to draw an empty midiclip....
    certainly midi isnt strenght of sonar compared to other sequencers i used.

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: Clips and loop start point 2009/03/05 05:28:39 (permalink)

yeah - i was was thinking that i just had overlooked that option for a year now...so no i discover that its just "not" there - funny that all other sequencers handle it that way we would like it to be - í often wonder where some of that "antiworkflow" implementations come from (like the snap to grid options menue without keybinding even after the new prerset option...) i guess in sonar (compared to cubase or logic) i have to click on my mouse 300% more often..

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1