Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/01/14 20:40:32 (permalink)

Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread

Wednesday:
Arrived around noon. Couldn't get to our hotel because a 12" water main had broken underneath Katella Avenue (the primary east-west route through Anaheim), causing a large palm tree to begin falling over. We had to watch from across the street while they sawed it up. Then we had no water until they could dig up the street and repair the line. They were outside the window jack-hammering literally all night.

Some little thing goes wrong every time I make this trip, so hopefully that was it and all will go smoothly from here on out.

Enjoyed 6 hours of excellent free music at the Marriott, adjacent to the convention center. Saw a great act consisting of drums and Chapman Stick. The guy was a true master of that difficult instrument. They called themselves Agent 22.

BTW, if you go, go to the Marriott rather than the Hilton. The Hilton's acoustics are unbelievably awful - like soloing the reverb return - and the band was led by a hot fusion bass player, so imagine a bass solo in a shower stall. At the Marriott, the seating was comfy couches.

The NAMM show doesn't start until tomorrow (Thursday), but the exhibitors were out drinking on the company's dime Wednesday. All but the Cakewalk crew. They were at the convention center setting up until 2:00AM.

It wasn't until I got back to the hotel after midnight that I discovered I had not brought along a cable for transferring snapshots to my laptop. Damn, I am such a moron. I did the same exact thing last year. That's why there are no photos accompanying this post.

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/01/14 20:43:48

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

161 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 20:47:43 (permalink)
    Have a great time Bit!

Best
    John
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 20:49:00 (permalink)
    Then you and lady liberty and the MGM Grand?? will have to suffice until tomorrow.  

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:05:51 (permalink)
    I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess that SOMEbody at that convention has the adapter cable you need. There's prolly enough geek power down there to take on Deep Blue at chess.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    e.Blue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:13:12 (permalink)
    Bitflipper,

You could always pick up (or borrow) a memory card reader and pull the card out of your camera to dump the pics to your laptop...

Hope it helps,

-eB

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
    Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
    Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:16:35 (permalink)
    Nice report; will enjoy reading more.

If you see a Tascam rep, please tell him/her that there are users of their equipment in the USA who would very much appreciate them changing their policy and supporting Windows 7 for that equipment.  The Tascam FW-1802 and FW-1884 are two examples.  Thanks!

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:21:48 (permalink)
    FYI, if any of you iPhone users are going to NAMM, there is a $2 app that essentially takes the place of the huge NAMM directory.  You can also use wi-fi to track your location on its maps.  I've been to 3 NAMM shows and at some point (after a few beers ) I always end up saying "HAVE I BEEN HERE ALREADY?"  I mean, after the 20th room full of guitars they can start to look the same.

See you tomorrow Bit!
    post edited by dontletmedrown - 2010/01/14 21:23:06
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:22:50 (permalink)
    Thursday:

Spent the morning at Roland. Could have spent the entire day there. Continuous presentations that are entertaining concerts on their own merit regardless of the marketing message. First up in the morning was a guy doing gospel with a vocal harmony generator that puts my tc helicon box to shame.

Other cool product was their new digital piano/synth. Modeled after a Steinway and sounding extraordinarily, eerily close to the real thing.  And only a couple grand - you have to buy a $350 add-on to get that ultra-realistic piano. They claim it has no looped samples and infinite velocity layers. I asked the presenter how that was possible, but he did not know. ("I'm just the piano player"). All I know is it sounded amazingly realistic. Better than Ivory.

Next stop was the Cakewalk booth, where I had a very nice chat with Willy and kept him from doing his job of talking to actual important people for way too long. He finally gave me a t-shirt to go away. Nice t-shirt, too. I wonder what he'll give me tomorrow to go away again.

On being unimportant: in 2008 I had a "V" badge, the lowest echelon right above blatant gate-crashers. In 2009 I had graduated to an "E" badge. This year, I have been demoted to a lower rank that I didn't know existed: an "N" badge, which I suspect stands for "Nobody".

I related my tale of cable woe to Willy, and like the champ he his, whipped out a USB cable from his pocket! Here ya go, he says. I repaid his generosity by making him pose in front of the new product they've been promising, and took his picture.

The big new product announcement: a line of MIDI keyboards. Semi-yawn. Wait a minute, that's only a semi yawn. The keyboards are actually pretty nice, with a pleasant synth-like action and all the programmable knobs and buttons and pads you could want. But they have one thing that makes them a Cakewalk product: a button labeled "ACT". Does what you think.

So I happily set about taking snapshots, knowing I'd be able to upload them later. So where are they? you ask. Well, I'll tell you a sad story. They're coming, trust me.

But first, let me tell you about today's brush with celebrity...

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:28:05 (permalink)
    Sorry, my fascinating story will have to wait till later tonight, I've been informed we're off to a concert...

My Stuff
    smoochy
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 21:51:39 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Wednesday:
    Arrived around noon. Couldn't get to our hotel because a 12" water main had broken underneath Katella Avenue (the primary east-west route through Anaheim), causing a large palm tree to begin falling over. We had to watch from across the street while they sawed it up. Then we had no water until they could dig up the street and repair the line. They were outside the window jack-hammering literally all night.

Some little thing goes wrong every time I make this trip, so hopefully that was it and all will go smoothly from here on out.

Enjoyed 6 hours of excellent free music at the Marriott, adjacent to the convention center. Saw a great act consisting of drums and Chapman Stick. The guy was a true master of that difficult instrument. They called themselves Agent 22.

BTW, if you go, go to the Marriott rather than the Hilton. The Hilton's acoustics are unbelievably awful - like soloing the reverb return - and the band was led by a hot fusion bass player, so imagine a bass solo in a shower stall. At the Marriott, the seating was comfy couches.

The NAMM show doesn't start until tomorrow (Thursday), but the exhibitors were out drinking on the company's dime Wednesday. All but the Cakewalk crew. They were at the convention center setting up until 2:00AM.

It wasn't until I got back to the hotel after midnight that I discovered I had not brought along a cable for transferring snapshots to my laptop. Damn, I am such a moron. I did the same exact thing last year. That's why there are no photos accompanying this post.

something tells me that disaster pretty much follows you around.... life is more exciting that way anyways.  well good luck in namm...  maybe you'll win a cake walk rep.

Benchmark production
    V-STUDIO 700
    I7-920
    ASUS P6TD
    12GIG Ocz PLATINUM
    ATI RADEON 4800hd SERIES
    3 seagate 160gig 32meg 7,200 sata2
    1wd 1tb 7,200 sata2
    2 24" digital samsung monitors
    OZG 1,000WATT MODULAR
    UAD1
    UAD2 QUAD
    TOFT ATB24
    FRONTIER TRANZPORT
    yamaha kx8 controller
    Steve Mac
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 23:08:34 (permalink)
    While bitflipper is off at the concert (and probably enjoying a drink or three), here's my report:

Arrived right at 10:00 and did a quick wander around the main floor just to see if anything stood out.  Decided to do things a little differently and went to the "downstairs" area (if you've been to NAMM you know what I'm talking about!), but it's where a lot of unique products are shown.  And companies that are just starting out.  Saw the Batmobile (the 1960s one) and a buy who designs cars with the trademark black and red accents.

Also spent some significant time at Roland, and played with the eBand box (fun thing to have at the office!).  And then off to Cakewalk.

They put on an excellent presentation regardng 8.5, which included the new keyboard bitflipper mentioned.  It's fun to meet the Bakers in person; they are extremely nice and helpful.

I then spent a few minutes with the guy who have the presentation (sadly, I can't recall his name) and asked him why certain widgets are unavailable in the Simple Instrument tracks (e.g., interleaving) and to his credit he laughed, said they should, and that he would pass it along to the production guys!

I don't have time for a huge rundown, but really enjoyed the presentation re: Alloy (which is like Ozone but for tracks and busses, with a much lower CPU requirement, and some nice little toys built in). 

Am going back on Saturday, and if I see something worth describing, I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, from a non-DAW perspective, there were two things I really enjoyed:

1.  The VoiceCapo (voicecapo.com); get it, you'll have a blast.
    2.  Taylor Guitars' new baritone 8-string.  It sounds great.

More to follow (but first, I hope, bitflippers' pictures).

Steve
    post edited by Steve Mac - 2010/01/14 23:10:06

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

Urdypooh
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/14 23:54:42 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for the reports. I am looking forward to reading more.
    (Stupid me planned his trip to L.A. too late in the month. :-( )
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 00:55:19 (permalink)
    Steve Mac

While bitflipper is off at the concert (and probably enjoying a drink or three), here's my report:

Arrived right at 10:00 and did a quick wander around the main floor just to see if anything stood out.  Decided to do things a little differently and went to the "downstairs" area (if you've been to NAMM you know what I'm talking about!), but it's where a lot of unique products are shown.  And companies that are just starting out.  Saw the Batmobile (the 1960s one) and a buy who designs cars with the trademark black and red accents.

Also spent some significant time at Roland, and played with the eBand box (fun thing to have at the office!).  And then off to Cakewalk.

They put on an excellent presentation regardng 8.5, which included the new keyboard bitflipper mentioned.  It's fun to meet the Bakers in person; they are extremely nice and helpful.

I then spent a few minutes with the guy who have the presentation (sadly, I can't recall his name) and asked him why certain widgets are unavailable in the Simple Instrument tracks (e.g., interleaving) and to his credit he laughed, said they should, and that he would pass it along to the production guys!

I don't have time for a huge rundown, but really enjoyed the presentation re: Alloy (which is like Ozone but for tracks and busses, with a much lower CPU requirement, and some nice little toys built in). 

Am going back on Saturday, and if I see something worth describing, I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, from a non-DAW perspective, there were two things I really enjoyed:

1.  The VoiceCapo (voicecapo.com); get it, you'll have a blast.
    2.  Taylor Guitars' new baritone 8-string.  It sounds great.

More to follow (but first, I hope, bitflippers' pictures).

Steve

Hi Steve,

It was me you  talked to and thank you for the kind words. We are running a crazy setup this year with an A-800 PRO, VS-100 and VS-700 on the mainstage, routed to a digital snake, sent to the FOH via CAT 5 and then mixed in the M-380 mixing console. From there the signal goes up to the PA and also routes back up the CAT 5 cable where we have M-48 personal mixers where we can control our own mix (voice, SONAR output, live instruments etc) which is separate form the PA. There is also an assorment of Edirol video equipment being used like the V-440HD and P-10 presenter for all the cameras and video feeds we have. Brandon and I were joking we could lietrally do a demo about the booth! Intel is also with us at the show and have provided some pretty stunning machines so the bottom line is we have a lot of cool toys to play with.

I can confirm I have passed on your feedback to the Product Management team.
    BTW- You should definitely come and check out the artist demos as it gives you a different view of the products. You know they cut out the sales/corporate stuff.

Here's the schedule.

http://www.cakewalk.com/events/namm2010/

Robin

That's my blog
    Omnia illa et ante fiebant, Omnia illa et rursus fient.
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 03:01:14 (permalink)
    Well, I still don't have a damn cable for my camera. No pictures yet. It's a long walk to the Target down the street, but I'm kind of getting used to walking. I probably walked 5 miles today, maybe more. It's probably a quarter mile just from one end of the show to the other.

So here's my surreal NAMM moment for today. It's the kind of bizarre thing that only happens - for me, anyway - at NAMM.

I'm sitting outside near the John Lennon bus. It's a mobile studio they use to suck innocent children into a life of music, financed by the very vampires who will then sell them all the stuff they'll be taught to lust for.

I have lost track of the person I'm supposed to meet for lunch. I am hungry, and eying the taco stand with the full knowledge that eating there would be a regrettable decision (because I'd done it last year) but feeling weak in the knees from having only coffee for breakfast. But I digress.

So I'm sitting near the John Lennon bus reading product literature from AEA. The AEA guy, I believe the founder of the company, wearing a top hat and sandals and looking to be in his 70's and looking like he'd be a cool guy to hang out with, gives me some show swag, including an AEA mouse pad that I'm using right now. They are the coolest-looking mics and they sound really good, too. I got to try them all out. But again I digress.

I am sitting near the John Lennon bus entirely focused on trying to plug in the USB cable that Willy had given me into the camera, but it won't fit. Maybe I'm putting it in upside-down. Maybe that's not the USB port. Hunger has starved my brain of blood sugar and I'm cursing my short-term memory for forgetting to bring the damn cable in the first place. Finally, I decide it's too nice a day - 100% blue sky, mid-70's - and stash the camer and light a stogie.

Then I noticed a commotion nearby. A few feet away there is a platoon of beefy goons in black, obviously heavyweight security, standing in a semicircle. A crowd of people has surrounded them. This caught my attention, as it is unusual, even at a strange event like NAMM.

You see, rock stars are a dime a dozen at NAMM (and in LA generally) and none of them have bodyguards. The somewhat jaded showgoers pretty much leave them in peace. So I'm wondering what kind of megastar comes to the show with a large entourage of goons. Must be somebody of major importance, so I decide to wait around and see who it is, maybe take a picture to post here - assuming I find a damn cable.

I notice that some of the crowd are obviously paparazzi, with the kind of serious photographic gear you normally see at sporting events. One of them walks by me, turns and asks "is she still on the bus?". I reply that I have no clue who "she" is, so he walks on, not considering that I might want to know too. And now my curiosity has been piqued. These guys have obviously scheduled their day around this event. Who could this mystery celeb be? Rock royalty, surely. Britney? Hanna Montana? As I said, my curiosity had been piqued.

While I'm waiting, some genuine superstars come by - Jackson Browne and Quincy Jones - and I snap their pictures. Both are gracious and accommodating, signing autographs and letting people have pictures taken with them. Browne wouldn't sign one guy's album, which pissed the fellow off and he began berating JB and telling him that sure, the album was destined immediately for ebay if he'd sign it, but it was JB's patriotic duty to help the California economy. JB wasn't buying it, but he kept smiling and shaking hands. I thought: good for him. A rock star with principles.

Mr. Jones is the classy gentleman you'd expect him to be, smiling genuinely, letting strangers put their arm around him for photos, and signing anything they stuck in his face. Personally, I wouldn't do that. I'd at least use a fake signature. Maybe he does.

After a few minutes, JB and QJ split on one of those carts they haul old people around on at the airport, leaving the crowd in an excited state.

More
    dark-suited goons show up, with earpieces like secret service agents - but clearly not SS agents because they're yakking about sports and look bored. Pros for sure, but more like Kevin Costner in The Bodyguard, that kind of pro. One of them, apparently like the head goon, sizes me up and decides I'm just another show geek and do not pose a threat. Good thing, because I already had a prepared speech about how this was a free country and dammit I can sit anywhere I please. Luckily, I did not have an opportunity to test the efficacy of that speech.

Finally, the door of the bus opens up and out steps the superstar. I can see why she has a platoon of mercenaries surrounding her, because the crowd looks like they want to do something dangerous, like crush her. And she is just this little old Japanese lady, looking very vulnerable at the center of a mob.

Of course, as you've probably guessed, it was Yoko Ono. Indeed, the most famous little old Japanese lady on the planet.

What a scene. The crowd is shouting her name. Some are begging for her to sign albums. No kidding, they held collector-quality Yoko Ono albums out. Who are these people? And where did they find those albums?

This was the first time I'd ever seen this kind of celebrity-worship frenzy up close. It was kind of disgusting and kind of scary. If I were her, I would have hired a goon platoon, too.

Yoko smiled with that Queen-in-a-parade kind of vacant, practiced smile and was hustled quickly into the limo. Fans continued to shout her name and beg her to roll down the window even as the car pulled away.

The entire scene lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was pure happenstance that I wound up in the middle of it, but most of those other people had been waiting for hours for that moment. I wondered where they went after that. Perhaps to stalk some other celeb.

Photos to follow...
    post edited by bitflipper - 2010/01/15 03:34:47

My Stuff
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 03:06:00 (permalink)
    Wow, the only thing missing was you being on peyote.

Nice Gonzo moment.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    ivanSC
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 325
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 04:09:58 (permalink)
    but there again who the F**k is Yoko Ono anyway?

JL`s tuneless missus is my best bet....
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 05:28:58 (permalink)
    Enthralling, bitflipper, keep it coming!
    (ivanSC - yes, my sentiments exactly.  The luckiest ever Japanese old lady on the planet...)

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 07:29:32 (permalink)
    Very amusing reporting, bitflipper. Keep it coming. It's an amusing thread.

And try to get some pics posted, man?:) Adapt and overcome to the situation. Take that walk to the Target down the street, if you have to? :)
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/01/15 07:36:57

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 07:50:23 (permalink)
    Bit:
    Thanks for the report. As to your camera woes - is yours a Canon dslr? They use a mini USB connector on some of the models. That's a difficult one to find.

Jack
    Qapla!
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 09:13:36 (permalink)
    Bitflipper,
    dude you should be a writer. seriously!
    that last bit about Yoko kept me wanting to read, you managed to pull me in.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 10:26:55 (permalink)
    I heard that Ms. Ono was there to endorse a new line of pitch correctors. 

Sonar 8PE & VS, Presonus Firestudio, VS-100, AlphaTrack, Nord Stage Compact, Roland Sonic Cell,  Axiom 49, dbx 386, Event TR-8's, Kawai 650, ...
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 10:35:29 (permalink)
    MurMan

I heard that Ms. Ono was there to endorse a new line of pitch correctors. 

If they have one that will work on HER voice, I definitely want it. 

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 10:56:22 (permalink)
    See, sometimes life comes at you when your not looking.

I spent most of the morning at NAMM looking over some new mics (U47 knockoffs) and playing with all the new Cakewalk keyboards, synths and interfaces. There are some new AT pencil mics that are pretty cool. See all of you guys at the booth after lunch today.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    smoochy
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 11:14:40 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Well, I still don't have a damn cable for my camera. No pictures yet. It's a long walk to the Target down the street, but I'm kind of getting used to walking. I probably walked 5 miles today, maybe more. It's probably a quarter mile just from one end of the show to the other.

So here's my surreal NAMM moment for today. It's the kind of bizarre thing that only happens - for me, anyway - at NAMM.

I'm sitting outside near the John Lennon bus. It's a mobile studio they use to suck innocent children into a life of music, financed by the very vampires who will then sell them all the stuff they'll be taught to lust for.

I have lost track of the person I'm supposed to meet for lunch. I am hungry, and eying the taco stand with the full knowledge that eating there would be a regrettable decision (because I'd done it last year) but feeling weak in the knees from having only coffee for breakfast. But I digress.

So I'm sitting near the John Lennon bus reading product literature from AEA. The AEA guy, I believe the founder of the company, wearing a top hat and sandals and looking to be in his 70's and looking like he'd be a cool guy to hang out with, gives me some show swag, including an AEA mouse pad that I'm using right now. They are the coolest-looking mics and they sound really good, too. I got to try them all out. But again I digress.

I am sitting near the John Lennon bus entirely focused on trying to plug in the USB cable that Willy had given me into the camera, but it won't fit. Maybe I'm putting it in upside-down. Maybe that's not the USB port. Hunger has starved my brain of blood sugar and I'm cursing my short-term memory for forgetting to bring the damn cable in the first place. Finally, I decide it's too nice a day - 100% blue sky, mid-70's - and stash the camer and light a stogie.

Then I noticed a commotion nearby. A few feet away there is a platoon of beefy goons in black, obviously heavyweight security, standing in a semicircle. A crowd of people has surrounded them. This caught my attention, as it is unusual, even at a strange event like NAMM.

You see, rock stars are a dime a dozen at NAMM (and in LA generally) and none of them have bodyguards. The somewhat jaded showgoers pretty much leave them in peace. So I'm wondering what kind of megastar comes to the show with a large entourage of goons. Must be somebody of major importance, so I decide to wait around and see who it is, maybe take a picture to post here - assuming I find a damn cable.

I notice that some of the crowd are obviously paparazzi, with the kind of serious photographic gear you normally see at sporting events. One of them walks by me, turns and asks "is she still on the bus?". I reply that I have no clue who "she" is, so he walks on, not considering that I might want to know too. And now my curiosity has been piqued. These guys have obviously scheduled their day around this event. Who could this mystery celeb be? Rock royalty, surely. Britney? Hanna Montana? As I said, my curiosity had been piqued.

While I'm waiting, some genuine superstars come by - Jackson Browne and Quincy Jones - and I snap their pictures. Both are gracious and accommodating, signing autographs and letting people have pictures taken with them. Browne wouldn't sign one guy's album, which pissed the fellow off and he began berating JB and telling him that sure, the album was destined immediately for ebay if he'd sign it, but it was JB's patriotic duty to help the California economy. JB wasn't buying it, but he kept smiling and shaking hands. I thought: good for him. A rock star with principles.

Mr. Jones is the classy gentleman you'd expect him to be, smiling genuinely, letting strangers put their arm around him for photos, and signing anything they stuck in his face. Personally, I wouldn't do that. I'd at least use a fake signature. Maybe he does.

After a few minutes, JB and QJ split on one of those carts they haul old people around on at the airport, leaving the crowd in an excited state.

More
    dark-suited goons show up, with earpieces like secret service agents - but clearly not SS agents because they're yakking about sports and look bored. Pros for sure, but more like Kevin Costner in The Bodyguard, that kind of pro. One of them, apparently like the head goon, sizes me up and decides I'm just another show geek and do not pose a threat. Good thing, because I already had a prepared speech about how this was a free country and dammit I can sit anywhere I please. Luckily, I did not have an opportunity to test the efficacy of that speech.

Finally, the door of the bus opens up and out steps the superstar. I can see why she has a platoon of mercenaries surrounding her, because the crowd looks like they want to do something dangerous, like crush her. And she is just this little old Japanese lady, looking very vulnerable at the center of a mob.

Of course, as you've probably guessed, it was Yoko Ono. Indeed, the most famous little old Japanese lady on the planet.

What a scene. The crowd is shouting her name. Some are begging for her to sign albums. No kidding, they held collector-quality Yoko Ono albums out. Who are these people? And where did they find those albums?

This was the first time I'd ever seen this kind of celebrity-worship frenzy up close. It was kind of disgusting and kind of scary. If I were her, I would have hired a goon platoon, too.

Yoko smiled with that Queen-in-a-parade kind of vacant, practiced smile and was hustled quickly into the limo. Fans continued to shout her name and beg her to roll down the window even as the car pulled away.

The entire scene lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was pure happenstance that I wound up in the middle of it, but most of those other people had been waiting for hours for that moment. I wondered where they went after that. Perhaps to stalk some other celeb.

Photos to follow...

very cool man... so it's not just bad shi$ that follows you around?  good reporting.  i think you missed your calling.  you should be a paparazzi...  of coarse you'd have to hire an assistant to keep the camera working...lol

to the idiot that said... "who the f$%k is yoko anyways"  man i don't even know what to say to that... except the same could be said of you.  she is a part of music history... perhaps back in the day when music did mean something to alot of people.  and as a musician i think it shows a lack of respect to the people, all of them not just Yoko, that encouraged an entire new generation of musicians to think out side the box.   i'm not a die hard fan of the Beatles nor Yoko but give credit where credit is due.  anouther thought would be that perhaps rather than stealing from Lenon she preserved the integrity of the man she loved.

very cool story bit... a once in a life time score....

Benchmark production
    V-STUDIO 700
    I7-920
    ASUS P6TD
    12GIG Ocz PLATINUM
    ATI RADEON 4800hd SERIES
    1wd 1tb 7,200 sata2
    OZG 1,000WATT MODULAR
    UAD1
    UAD2 QUAD
    TOFT ATB24
    FRONTIER TRANZPORT
    yamaha kx8 controller
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 11:34:02 (permalink)
    nprime
    Wow, the only thing missing was you being on peyote.
    Nice Gonzo moment.
    HA! For The Win.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 11:40:11 (permalink)
    Yoko Ono even managed to split up her solo career.

She's the equivalent of seeing a black cat on friday 13th while walking under a ladder.
    bitflipper
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 11:55:15 (permalink)
    Turns out the reason for Yoko's appearance was that she had just donated $200k to the John Lennon foundation and needed to hold a press conference to gloat about it. Flew in from her home in NYC to stand in front of an oversized check and everything.

My Stuff
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 12:03:31 (permalink)
    I recall the day a relative of mine (sorry to say) placed many quarters in the jukebox for the ski center and played one Yoko Ono flip-side song all afternoon, non-stop.  As we approached the second half-hour, people went screaming to their cars.  At least we had the trails to ourselves, but it wasn't pleasant.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    smoochy
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 12:04:31 (permalink)
    strikinglyhandsome1

She's the equivalent of seeing a black cat on friday 13th while walking under a ladder.

actually i think the bullet pretty much did in Lenon...  that being said... you'll get no argument out of me that she was a disaster... however you can't be naive enough to think that lenon wasn't the one driving the bus to his own demise.  they were on the way down the shoot and although they definitively went down an odd path, possibly because of her, toward the end.  i think that if it were not for all that, the group may have ended with a whimper rather than a bang... no pun intended...lol  history is not made up purly of heroes.  music history is riddled with disasters... jimmy hendricks...jim morrison...and on and on...and then there are all the ones that lived through their infancy such as bowie, the stones and just about every other artist on the planet.  including the ones that no one ever heard of.  the mistakes we make are what makes us who we really are... not our successes... you can hide behind success but you can't hide behind your mistakes...  i don't even know what that means... but it sounds cool...lol   do you think many people would even remember the Beatles the way they do, had it not been for the rather colorful chapter that Yoko definitely played a part in?  it's history man... wonderful colorful history.

post edited by smoochy - 2010/01/15 12:11:25

Benchmark production
    V-STUDIO 700
    I7-920
    ASUS P6TD
    12GIG Ocz PLATINUM
    ATI RADEON 4800hd SERIES
    1wd 1tb 7,200 sata2
    OZG 1,000WATT MODULAR
    UAD1
    UAD2 QUAD
    TOFT ATB24
    FRONTIER TRANZPORT
    yamaha kx8 controller
    smoochy
    Re:Bitflipper's 2010 NAMM Thread 2010/01/15 12:09:22 (permalink)
    smoochy

strikinglyhandsome1

oops

post edited by smoochy - 2010/01/15 12:11:56

Benchmark production
    V-STUDIO 700
    I7-920
    ASUS P6TD
    12GIG Ocz PLATINUM
    ATI RADEON 4800hd SERIES
    1wd 1tb 7,200 sata2
    OZG 1,000WATT MODULAR