Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Alluminati
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2010/09/11 14:47:26 (permalink)

Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself

So, out of no where, Kontakt doesnt work in sonar anymore when I try to load a sample.
When I load it it says:

please resave the currently loaded patch to speed up loading times

It takes ages just to delete a sample too, and I can't actually hear the instrument unless I minimize kontakt.   This is all very new, just started hapening yesterday.

I check Kontakt in my other DAWS, everything running flawlessly.

Aside from this, can DAWS contract virus's from a PC in general?  May need a reformat.

Thanks!

61 Replies Related Threads

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 14:52:30 (permalink)
    Kontakt 2 on the other hand works in Sonar, but I still have to minimize it in order to hear sound!
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:02:35 (permalink)
    Yeah pretty weird. Have you tried doing an uninstall/reinstall? That's probably what I would try first if you haven't already.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:05:07 (permalink)
    Alluminati

So, out of no where, Kontakt doesnt work in sonar anymore when I try to load a sample.
    When I load it it says:

please resave the currently loaded patch to speed up loading times

It takes ages just to delete a sample too, and I can't actually hear the instrument unless I minimize kontakt.   This is all very new, just started hapening yesterday.

I check Kontakt in my other DAWS, everything running flawlessly.

Aside from this, can DAWS contract virus's from a PC in general?  May need a reformat.

Thanks!

Is this is an existing project or ALL / ANY projects?

If you start with a normal, blank project - does it do the same thing?

And, have you gotten the latest updates for Kontakt 4?  There've been a few.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:33:21 (permalink)
    Yes it's the latest version and it happens with all projects.
    If there's one thing I hate, its kontakt, I've always resented the plugin since it was invented.

I'll try the re install thing I guess, but I have a feeling i'll be doing it once every couple months
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:36:02 (permalink)
    Alluminati

If there's one thing I hate, its kontakt, I've always resented the plugin since it was invented.

I'll try the re install thing I guess, but I have a feeling i'll be doing it once every couple months

Personally I love Kontakt and use it often, and have no problems with it.   But that won't help you in this case ;)

How much memory do you have?  And, have you loaded it in STANDALONE mode first to set it up properly?  That's a requirement with a few of the NI applications.

Of course, if you have issues with it, then maybe you should just look for something else to use (though not too many plugins that do what Kontakt do are as good, imho).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:37:47 (permalink)
    Alluminati

BTW, can you tell us your system specs....   OS version, Memory, CPU, Hard Drives, and AUDIO device?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:38:58 (permalink)
    Standalone, FL studio, and Cubase all run kontakt lovely, its just in sonar.  So I guess a reinstall is in demand?

I have triple CPU 2.8g, 8 gigs of ram and 64bit sonar on windows 7

audio device is Auzentech Forte 7.1, using Asio 
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:41:18 (permalink)
    I love what kontakt has to offer, I just think it's bulky and in the way.  I prefer interfaces like PLAY, or G player, so I can conveniently use my off board effects.
    Also KOMPAKT is awesome.
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:52:56 (permalink)
    Alluminati

Standalone, FL studio, and Cubase all run kontakt lovely, its just in sonar.  So I guess a reinstall is in demand?

I'm not familiar with your audio device, but I'll assume you know it's solid and is not the issue.

But, just because something runs ok in another host doesn't really tell me much.  I see tons of "patches" for ALL hosts that are directed toward specific plugins -- and I see tons of patches for most plugins that are directed toward specific hosts.   This happens due to the different engine designs paradigms and not all hosts/plugins are made the same, obviously.

But, that being said -- I love a good challenge lol.   So when I hear about someone having issues with a plugin I use a lot and don't have issues with, I always feel there's something to be learned from debugging it -- and, of course, others benefit here on the forum from the solutions.

So - how does the crash happen when it happens?  Is it immediatley upon loading the plugin, or after loading some samples, or during playback normally, etc?

Any info you care to provide - in detail - may help.

I actually like Kontakts interface.  Especially since the 4.x updates.  And I find it easy to use/understand.  That's what makes horseracing, as they say (ie, different strokes for different folks).  But, the plugin should work for you.  It does for most people I know who use it with a similar setup as you.

Have you done any system checks ... like memory tests, etc?   ALso - what's your hard drive configuration -- do you keep your samples on a separate drive than your OS?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 15:54:55 (permalink)
    Alluminati

PS - what's a "triple" CPU?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 16:02:57 (permalink)
    I mean 3 Cores as in triple CPU.

Okay I'll try to break it down for you.

WHen I open kontakt 4, sometimes it lags right away, but most of the time it's fine, UNTIL I load a sample.  When I load it I get that resave message every time, it stays there for 10 seconds or so, dissapears, then kontakt just stops working al together... OR it works, but It took almost 2 minutes to load and is till unstable and lags.
    I can't play any instruments while the interface is showing, I have to minimize it.
    This is actually happening with rapture too, just random came across that right now.

I have two internal 1tb drives, 2tb's in total.  I keep all my samples on my D drive, which don't give me any problems in other DAWs.

No I haven't done any memory checks or anything like that, not even sure how I would go about that.   
    I'm convinced it's a Sonar issue and not kontakt.

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 16:15:54 (permalink)
    The "please resave" prompt came about with the 4.1/4.1.1 update for Kontakt. I'd advise you to resave all your library, either using a batch resave (read the manual addendum first!) or by saving individual ones as you use them. Use the save the patch only and use absolute sample paths option that will come up when you save it.

It speeds up loading times dramatically. For example, the Abbey Road full kits used to take about a minute or so to load on my system; after resaving, it's down to five seconds or so.

ew
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:13:35 (permalink)
    If you are using Komplete 6 and are in Sonar 64bit it installs the 64bit VST for Kontakt in a weird place.  I was fighting with this for last couple months and finally resolved it.  If you are getting the bitbridge GUI then you have the same problem.  It is simply solved by adding the new path to your scan path.  However you will then have to figure out which 1 of all the Kontakt4's that show up  is the correct 1.  You will need to ensure that you have the correct 1 selected.  I did it by creating a new VST plug in menu strictly for the 64bit Kontakt so I am sure I have the right 1.

The following is the path where Komplete installed the updates for the 64bit VST dll.  Check that path to ensure that it is the same for yours and if so you are likely on your way. 

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Komplete 6\VSTPlugins 64 bit
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:24:47 (permalink)
    Kontakt is installed to the same place all my vsts are sent.

C:/Program Flies(x86)Vst Instruments

I don't understand what u mean exactly, sonar is trying to load the samples themselves and not the vst.  Not sure what u mean by new path in global settings.

The path has been the same since I installed Kontakt, it was working yesterday morning this was just spontaneous.

I didn't think the the placement of the vst mattered, my PLAY.dll for east west is in a very weird place, same with others.
    post edited by Alluminati - 2010/09/11 17:26:18
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:30:19 (permalink)
    B MIDI:

I forgot to add, most of the time when I load a sample, it actually loads, but the instrument/sample doesnt appear in the column where it should, it just remains black like it is right now, and kontakt is no longer accessible     
    post edited by Alluminati - 2010/09/11 17:36:12
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:31:55 (permalink)
    B MIDI:

I forgot to add, most of the time when I load a sample, it actually loads, but the instrument/sample doesnt appear in the column where it should, it just remains black like it is right now, and kontakt is no longer accessible 
    post edited by Alluminati - 2010/09/11 17:35:52
    lorneyb2
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:47:42 (permalink)
    The previous updates will be in their proper locations but the new updates for 64bit have gone to a new location which will not be in your normal scan path. (TOOLS - CAKEWALK PLUG IN MANAGER - OPTIONS then add the new path as above in the box that comes up and do a rescan) 

Again this would only apply if you have Komplete.  The way I found the new location was by doing a search for KONTAKT 4.DLL  (When you right click on the name in windows explorer and the select properties go to the version tab and it should say 4.1.1.3832  The old ones will likely be 4.0.5.3186 or older)  If you are getting the bitbridge version coming up it is not the correct version as the update is now native 64bit.
    lorneyb2
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 17:58:53 (permalink)
    The other place you can check which version you are running is by clicking on the white/blue N I in the upper right corner of the GUI.  The Version number should say 4.1.1.3832 and processor should start with x64.

The Kontakt 4.dll that will get installed in Program Files(X86) will be the 32bit version.
    post edited by lorneyb2 - 2010/09/11 18:13:09
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 18:17:44 (permalink)
    Alluminati

B MIDI:

First, I'm reasonably sure it's not a Sonar problem -- unless your Sonar installation got corrupt somehow (it can happen).  So I would uninstall Kontakt and reinstall.   Reboot after you uninstall, reboot after you install

Then run Kontakt in STANDALONE mode first, run through the various preferences/options, then close it.
    Launch Sonar, scan your VSTs, and see how that goes.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 20:26:14 (permalink)
    Okay I'll try both and get back to both of you.

Why is everyone on this site so gratuitous with their help, one of the reasons I went with Sonar ;) 
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 20:41:43 (permalink)
    Alluminati

Okay I'll try both and get back to both of you.

Why is everyone on this site so gratuitous with their help, one of the reasons I went with Sonar ;) 

Heh, not everyone is ... but definitely this is one of the better forums with very generous people.
    It's one reason I try to give back -- so many help/helped me as well.

And, musicians SHOULD be generous since we were already given a great gift :D

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/11 23:53:21 (permalink)
    Lorney:

I uninstalled and reinstalled kontakt 4, when I applied the updates and scanned for vsts a new tab showed up under insert soft synths, directed to
    [font="verdana, verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "]C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 4\VSTPlugins 64 bit

[font="verdana, verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "]I selected that, but still crashes. 

Ba Midi:

I uninstalled and followed the exact steps as you listed, but not it crashes even worse.   
    I load a sample, but this time it doesn't say "Resave blah blah",  it actually loads the sample pretty quickly (not as quickly as in FL or cubase).   But once its finished loading nothing appears, the area to the right still remains black, then kontakt crashes all together and I have to open another instance.

Well if I can't get kontakt working in sonar I am screwed!  :(
    Each sound library should have its own damn interface, especially LASS and Symphobia, they are too good for kontakt :)
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 00:03:17 (permalink)
    Alluminati

Never any issues here- with Kontakt 4.11 full app, not player. Smooth as silk. Sure sounds like something (maybe a sample, nki. whatever is corrupted.
    post edited by stratman70 - 2010/09/12 00:05:28

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 00:05:08 (permalink)
    same here up until yesterday, sonar resents me for something, it's being passive aggressive with me.

Why only in sonar and no other daw, strange.
    post edited by Alluminati - 2010/09/12 00:08:06
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 00:27:37 (permalink)
    Alluminati

same here up until yesterday, sonar resents me for something, it's being passive aggressive with me.

Why only in sonar and no other daw, strange.

Without knowing your complete system setup (ex: how you have your hard drives setup, or what kind of i/o buffers you're using, latency settings, etc) we can only guess.

It's possible your Sonar installation is corrupt; or you have memory problems in your system, or you have a corrupt hard disk sector (or a few), or your power supply is less than nominal, and so on...

What you're experiencing is not what most are.  It's something specific to your system configuration or hardware.   I know you don't want to hear that, but if everyone was having trouble with Sonar and Kontakt, this forum would be loaded with screamers about it.

So my suggestion is to be deductive.   In other words, try working the problem through in small steps so that the one thing that is probably causing trouble wijll reveal itself.

Now that you've reinstalled Kontakt, maybe you have to try doing the same with Sonar.
    But I would also contact NI and see if they can help you figure this out.

Kontakt is one of the best applications/plugins out there, in my and many others' opinions -- so I think it's worth trying to solve this.

When you say you load a sample -- how exactly are you doing that? and is it AFTER you load a sample or .nki file that it crashes?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 00:52:24 (permalink)
    Ive already re installed sonar that didn't work.
    I'll keep trying man, it's just so weird how it's only sonar and no other daw, or stand alone.
    Alluminati
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 01:00:48 (permalink)
    By loading sample I mean double clicking on sample/instrument in the library section in kontakt.

Right now kontakts open and a string actually loaded this time.
    Took a while, and cant play a note unless kontakts minimized but miraculously it's opened.
    ba_midi
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 01:10:20 (permalink)
    Alluminati

By loading sample I mean double clicking on sample/instrument in the library section in kontakt.

Right now kontakts open and a string actually loaded this time.
    Took a while, and cant play a note unless kontakts minimized but miraculously it's opened.

Out of curiosity - did you run Kontakt in Standalone mode first, and do all the settings for your i/o and audio there -- then close it, run Sonar and rescan VST?

If you didn't do the standalone setup, that might be an issue.

I also feel strongly that you might be well served to run a memory test.   As I've said - a plugin running in one host and not another is not necessarily a sign the host in which it doesn't run has a problem.   Sometimes on host can "expose" a problem that the others don't or won't.   This is why I'm suspecting memory issues.

However, you never did say what your hard drives are setup like.  Do you keep your samples on the same drive as Sonar?  Or do you use a separate drive for that?  Do you keep your projects on the same drive as Sonar?

This may help figure things out.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

lorneyb2
    Re:Kontakt 4 crashing in sonar, and sometimes crashing sonar itself 2010/09/12 01:12:13 (permalink)
    Is this occurring when you are inserting a new Kontakt synth and with the new instance?   Any previous instances of Kontakt will still be loaded by the  previous dll which is likely the 32bit version.   You would have to reload the new 64bit version for each instance and delete the previous from the synth rack.  With the problem instances of Kontake if you click on the little white/blue N I in the corner and it says version 4.1.1.3832 and the Processor starts with x64 then we are dealing with a different problem.  If it doesn't then you will have to delete that instance and reload a new one that you are sure is the 64bit. 

I can totally sympathize with your situation as I had totally given up on it and was using Kontakt 3 if I had no choice but to use a Kontakt instrument.  I could not believe how slick it worked once I got all the kinks out and was loading the correct version. 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1