Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
pattor
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
2006/04/23 07:24:48 (permalink)

Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not

There are so many dither-related posts on this forum now that I'd like to further address some things to consider.

First of all, for those who haven't read my initial post about the issue here - please do so first, if you have any dither-questions popping your brain.

What I'd now want to provide are some thoughts of dithering a project that is exported to 24 bits. When we talk about 24 bits we talk about an integer word.

If we have recorded audio in 24 bits and we mix it in Sonar by routing things, put effects on things, eq things and adjust levels of things - then the outcome of this mix will be a floating point word. Our initial 24 bit tracks have expanded into something larger.

Within Sonar this floating point word will "shrink" to a 24 bit word when it's being sent to our soundcard. This will happen during a final step in Sonar where the internal resoultion is somewhat decreased to fit the digital pipeline in our soundcard. This digital pipeline can only transport integer words, so the floating point word must be reduced in information to fit this digital pipeline.

When this occurs there will be a slight loss of information. This information will travel along with the audio data in the digital pipeline, but this information does not contain anything musical. The good thing with playing back at 24 bits is that the level of this un-musical information (basically we're talking about distortion here) is so low that it's barely audible.

So, now as we have the ability to add a triangular dither to the output at the 24 bit level, this is what happens:

The digital distortion is masked by a very low level noise.

The noise, on the other hand, will occupy more of the information in the almost inaudible range than the distortion does in order to effectively mask the distortion. We are in a state of choosing between being hit in the face or being hit on the skull. None is really good, but the good thing is that none of the options are really very audible at a 24 bit level.

So.........

When we now talk about dither or not dither 24 bit levels (upon export or playback) I would like to point out the folowing things:

When we mix something with Sonar and have recorded in 24 bits, we will listen to a 24 bit word in our pipeline that becomes analogue and feeds our listening chain (either headphones or monitors). It will be 24 bits even though Sonar is mixing in a 32 or 64 bit mode because our soundcard can only convert digital data to analogue audio when it is a 24 bit integer wordlength.

1: If the dither is on during this mix, we won't hear the subtle effects of the distortion as the mix progresses.

2: If the dither is off, there might be a small and subtle effect of the resulting distortion that makes us take different decisions when mixing and these decisions might not be entirely based on the musical information but instead on the effect of distortion.

3: If we have mixed with dither off and switch it on during playback or add it upon export we might find that it actually did something we do not like.

When looking a the #3 scenario above there is a simple explanation. We were mixing with dither off and included the distortion in our mix. We liked the sound of our mix and the distortion was actually a part of this sound. If we then add the dither to a mix we have been working for hours, days, or months with, the way we hear the mix might alter in a tiny fashion and we might NOT LIKE IT!

That's right - WE MIGHT END UP HATING AND CURSING the effect of dither at the 24 bit level.

So the bottomline is:

If you really want to dither your 24 bit export or hear what is actually going on when you make mix decisions - you should start mixing from scratch with dither enabled. In that case only the musical infromation will pass out from Sonar, through your digital integer pipeline and finally become analogue for you to hear it.

If you start to dither after you've taken mix decisions that actually are affected by hearing distortion, you might end up dissapointed at the good things dither is supposed to do. The distortion is part of your sound. You've included it in the BIG PICTURE! And you might very well LIKE IT THAT WAY!

And I therefore recommend that if you find that you do not like what the dither does when exporting to 24 bits or when switching it on during monitoring of a mix, then you should NOT DITHER. It might sound weird, but since both the dithernoise and the digital distortion are both not musical things you have the ability to choose what fits your material.

I hope this make a point for some and that we can easier know what the good and the bad things are and how we should meet those nasty bastards in the big picture of our music.

(P.S. For clarification - the dither option in this scenario is the triangular one.)
post edited by pattor - 2006/04/23 07:37:05

God knows I've tried

214 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 10:31:56 (permalink)
    Thank you for taking the time to explain all this in laymans terms - it has helped me to understand all this considerably.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 11:01:00 (permalink)
    Ditto!

ORIGINAL: krizrox

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this in laymans terms - it has helped me to understand all this considerably.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Rednroll
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 11:29:38 (permalink)
    Well you make some valid points and your information sounds correct to me, but here's why I never apply dither during mix down. Mixdown is never the final step for me. The mastering is the final step. In most cases dither only really applies when the audio level becomes very low, like in a fade out. So the better sequence for me is to not fade out too early. Leave yourself some some extra fade length and don't apply dithering during the mix down. Now during the mastering process apply your final fade out length and also apply dithering. If you apply dithering in the mix process, you actually apply twice the amount of noise if you are doing the mastering processing later. So I recommend not applying any dithering in the mixdown process, because it's really not the last step in most cases and you only want to apply dither once in the final processing. Bottom line is that dithering should always be your last step.
    post edited by Rednroll - 2006/04/23 11:42:29
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 11:38:19 (permalink)
    Do you really think you can hear a difference between dithered and undithered 24-bit audio?

The noise in the electronics in your DAC basically dithers the audio to roughly 20-bits or so anyway, so why would you even want to apply dither to 24-bit audio? It just adds distortion that serves no purpose. Not that you'd hear it, but still, it serves no purpose...
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 12:46:46 (permalink)
    Very nice job. Please tell me what you think....

Because of all of the dithering issues when recording to DAW, then doing edits, mastering and burning. About 2 yrs ago I took about 2months and focused largely on trying as many paths to finished project as possible.

To Keep it short.......

I found that I had my best results doing following.....

Good Pre-Amp
    24bit Converters
    Recorded @ 16/44.1
    Mix/no dither
    Export as wave/ no dither
    Edit Wave in SF / remove dc offset
    Master in T-Racks / realtime / dither on
    Done

I know probably to simple. I always thought I had good results because I was getting as many bits tracked as possible using 24 bit converters, then preserving them all (using 16/44.1), as there was no sample rate conversion or truncated bits from non-matching digital paths. Then in T-Racks applying Dither and having the choice of what type.

Was or am I wrong?

Your thread was well communicated, thought maybe you could comment.

Thank You
    post edited by zungle - 2006/04/23 12:54:20
    pattor
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 13:21:40 (permalink)
    sinc......

The noise in the electronics in your DAC basically dithers the audio to roughly 20-bits or so anyway, so why would you even want to apply dither to 24-bit audio? It just adds distortion that serves no purpose. Not that you'd hear it, but still, it serves no purpose...

The dither is meant to mask artifacts that are the results of digital processing at higher bitdepths than the goal bitdepth. It's true that the DAC might add noise, but that is when you are hearing the playback to your ear. That noise is nothing that is included in an export, bounce or mixdown since it's rooted in a digital to analogue conversion.

The dither ain't adding distortion - it's adding noise with the purpose to mask distortion. The dither sounds like wind and the distortion sounds like breaking a glass against a concrete floor. They are both kind of disturbing, but one is more offensive.

zungle.....

It sounds like you are really implementing some heavy steps of truncation there. Since you export your project to 16 bits with no dither and then post-tweak it you are most likely amplifying the distortion. First by the dc corrector and then once more by T-racks.

Since you've carried out a mix in Sonar, eventhough the original audio was 16 bit, your mix has been in a state of a bigger bitdepth before coming back to 16 bits. Exporting this mix to 16 bits without dither is like final processing in T-racks with dither off.

You would yield much better results if you exported your mix to at least 24 bits out from Sonar, since much more of the mix information will come across to the post-editing. If you once add truncation artifacts to an audio file it can not be removed with dithering in later stages. These artifacts are smashed into your audio. Since you process it further you are only creating worse and worse sounding audio and I guess that you really are into the sound of digital graininess.
    post edited by pattor - 2006/04/23 13:35:08

God knows I've tried
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 14:06:45 (permalink)

Hi Pattor,

You make some good points but your explanation of dither is incorrect:

ORIGINAL: pattor

The digital distortion is masked by a very low level noise.

The noise, on the other hand, will occupy more of the information in the almost inaudible range than the distortion does in order to effectively mask the distortion. We are in a state of choosing between being hit in the face or being hit on the skull. None is really good, but the good thing is that none of the options are really very audible at a 24 bit level.

Dither is not about masking the truncation distortion, it is about eliminating it all together (if properly implemented). It actually allows to encode signals with amplitudes smaller than the least significant bit. Theoreticaly, if well implemented, it can increase the resolution infinitely.

In other words, always leave dither on.

UnderTow
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 14:09:14 (permalink)
    Thank You Very Much..

I will start a small Audio project tonight and practice.

Am I understanding that even though recorded @ 16/44.1, once in Sonar the audio has become part of the larger Sonar audio engine, And then when I export I am truncating those bits?

UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 14:29:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: zungle

Thank You Very Much..

I will start a small Audio project tonight and practice.

Am I understanding that even though recorded @ 16/44.1, once in Sonar the audio has become part of the larger Sonar audio engine, And then when I export I am truncating those bits?

That pretty much sums it up, yes.

UnderTow
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 14:32:59 (permalink)

It's true that the DAC might add noise, but that is when you are hearing the playback to your ear. That noise is nothing that is included in an export, bounce or mixdown since it's rooted in a digital to analogue conversion.

I think sinc might be confusing noise at the ADC side with noise on the DAC side. But you are right. Anything added after the bit depth conversion is too late.

The dither ain't adding distortion - it's adding noise with the purpose to mask distortion.

See my other post.

UnderTow

Edit: Fixed quoting.
    post edited by UnderTow - 2006/04/23 16:42:25
    cGar
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 15:59:26 (permalink)
    It is also SUPER important to remember the the distortion from truncation is highly correlated to the input signal. In other words the distortion is directly related any frequencies in the audio spectrum at a given time and the distortion is constantly changing with the changing frequency spectrum of the song. Dither (particularly triangular in Sonar) takes a highly correlated distortion signal and decorrelates (i.e. giving it a white (flat) spectrum). This means that you don't hear this distortion louder in any one frequency range. And therefore is much more peasing to the ear!

Now it has been said that at 24-bits you may still never hear the frequency dependant truncation distortion but it is still there and worse than the flat noise spectrum provided by dither. I'm sure some audiophiles out there can hear it. If you have a song with strong mid-range frequecies (which the human ear is more attuned to) then not dithering can mean much more percieveble distortion cuz your ear can hear it in the mid-range. Had you dithered that noise would be spread evenly across the frequency spectrum where you can't hear it.

Also note that when using the shaped dither (pow-r) the noise spectrum is not flat but shaped to get even better masking. But if you intend to process again this type of dither is not ideal because that shaped noise will sometimes come up to audible levels.

Go Big or Stay Home!!

www.soundcloud.com/cgar
    www.myspace.com/cgarridomusic

MacPro (8x2.8GHz)
    pattor
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 16:39:46 (permalink)
    Hello Undertow

Dither is not about masking the truncation distortion, it is about eliminating it all together (if properly implemented). It actually allows to encode signals with amplitudes smaller than the least significant bit. Theoreticaly, if well implemented, it can increase the resolution infinitely.

In other words, always leave dither on.

UnderTow

Yes, that's right. I choosed to realte this issue to "masking" since it would perhaps make the subject somewhat easier to understand for any "newbies". That's why.

God knows I've tried
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 16:46:50 (permalink)
    So is it safe to say that I can continue to..

record this way..

Dithering = none
    Audio Bit depth rate = 24

Record then mixdown with plugins, and then export to a 24 bit .wav file.
    Import into Soundforge 8 perfom my mastering routine and then Process > Bit depth Converter > use 16 bit triangular?

I hope so.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 17:00:47 (permalink)

Yes, that's right. I choosed to realte this issue to "masking" since it would perhaps make the subject somewhat easier to understand for any "newbies". That's why.

Ok understood. But lets not feed the world with any more misinformation. There is allready enough as it is.

UnderTow
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 17:04:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jesse G

So is it safe to say that I can continue to..

record this way..

Dithering = none
    Audio Bit depth rate = 24

No. Are we reading the same thread? Always leave dither on.

(Theoreticaly you could export audio at the same bit depth as the audio engine but as Pattor correctly pointed out, you are not mixing what you hear).

UnderTow
    mark4man
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 700
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 17:43:29 (permalink)
    Pattor...

Not trying to hijack your thread (& you sound like you have it figured out, anyway)...

but...you seem to have a pretty good handle at this internal processing/precision thing...

so please have a look at my thread (http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=753452) & see if you can shed some light.

Thanks,

mark4man
    post edited by mark4man - 2006/04/23 17:51:08
    Rednroll
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 18:04:46 (permalink)

(Theoreticaly you could export audio at the same bit depth as the audio engine but as Pattor correctly pointed out, you are not mixing what you hear).

UnderTow

Well, I hate to be the one to say this, but that's not correct information either. Here's the purpose of dithering. DACs are fixed point integer math devices. So if you have 24 bit DACs, when you are mixing down the floating point math will be converted to fixed point math and then the bits will be "truncated" coming out from the DAC. So in essence you are hearing what you mixed down without any dithering applied.

Now here's where dither really becomes important. When you do a fade out on a mix, then when the audio get's converted from floating point to fixed point the fixed point resolution gets very small where you start to be working only with 1 or 2 bits of resolution since the amplitude is so small when converted to fixed point during fade in/out situations where the amplitude becomes very small. So the audio still has dynmics at this level but is only represented by 1 or 2 bits of information. What happens is that due to the dynamics the audio will sound like it's turning on and off during a fade out, because it's going from absolute digital zero and intermitantly being turned on with the representation of 1 or 2 bits. So if you listen to the fade out thru a pair of headphones the fade out will sound unnatural because there are moments of interuption where it goes to complete silence and then turns back on with those one or 2 bits of resolution that can be heard. When you have a 24 bit DAC, this is hardly noticeable because your dynmics range is 144dB. So it is very difficult to hear the turning on and off of the fade out where you're only working with 1 or 2 bits of fixed point resolution. But your final destination is a 16 bit CD, which has 96 dB of dynamics range where the turning on and off of the last 2 bits of resolution in the fixed point math becomes much more obvious during a fade out. To elliminate the turning on and off that is obvious, "dither noise" is added which is usually a broadband noise with an amplitude of 1 or 2 bits. So now when this gets added to the audio signal it is less obvious that the fade out is turning on and off, since there is now the noise of the dither being added to the audio signal. So there is much less of the turning on and off of the audio signal that is noticeable during a fade out situation. So if you apply dither noise during the mixdown process, and then futher add dither noise at the mastering process, then these dual noises can add together and now you have a higher noise floor of up to 4 bits of noise.

So the real summary is that you should use dither ONLY as the last process when converting to 16 bit to be transferred to the final destination of CD. This is why I say to avoid adding dither during mixdown. Hopefully you're exporting at the same resolution as your DACs, therefore you ARE hearing exactly what you are mixing at. Now take that 24 bit fixed point .WAV file and go to the final mastering processes. Then apply your final fade out, where you are still working with floating point math, yet still hearing the audio thru the 24bit truncation of the DAC. Then when you convert to 16 bit, then apply the dither so you don't hear the turning on/of when the audio is within an amplitude of 1 or 2 bits of fixed point resolution which is only obvious during low level amplitude signals like when you fade out to digital zero or fade in from digital zero. The different types of dither are the shapes of the noise being applied to the entire audio signal which usually only has 1 or 2 bits of resolution. Thus "triangular" adds a 1 bit amplitude of a tringle wave. Then there's white noise/broadband, which random. So if you are adding dither at mixdown and additionally at mastering, you are unnecessarily adding double the amount of "noise" to your audio signal, which means it can be additive noise, which means it can increase up to +6dB in level each time you add dither to your audio signal.

Ok understood. But lets not feed the world with any more misinformation. There is allready enough as it is.

I agree, let's try not to do that because a lot of the information in this thread is incorrect. Jesse G's summary is right on the money.
    post edited by Rednroll - 2006/04/23 18:13:22
    Sid Viscous
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 18:20:48 (permalink)
    The internal engine and effects are 32 bit floating, so you are never running what you are hearing as far as I understand. Truncating is always required.
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 18:24:52 (permalink)

mark4man, can I mail you privately somewhere?

UnderTow
    Salsamac
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 20:19:22 (permalink)
    Now here's where dither really becomes important. When you do a fade out on a mix,

My impression, being the layman that I am, was that dither is applied to mask *artifacts* that arise when going from 24 to 16 bit that occur whether there is a fade or not.
    salsa
    mark4man
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 700
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 20:45:16 (permalink)
    mark4man, can I mail you privately somewhere?

sonicmaximus@yahoo.com

DACs are fixed point integer math devices. So if you have 24 bit DACs, when you are mixing down the floating point math will be converted to fixed point math and then the bits will be "truncated" coming out from the DAC. So in essence you are hearing what you mixed down without any dithering applied.

BINGO !*!*!

Boy...that jarred the old noggin. SONAR can’t send a 24-Bit fixed point AI a 32-Bit float signal, so everything below the 24-Bit floor is truncated...& that's what you’re hearing in the playback environment, anyway.

I think I'm starting to get this.

(but by all means, UnderTow...e-mail me anyway...I've still got eons to go.)

Thanks,

mark4man

BTW - This triangular dither Pattor keeps referring to...I don't see that in my trial version of SONAR 5...I only have the rectangular & 3 pow-r's. Is this new in 5.2? Thanks.
    post edited by mark4man - 2006/04/23 20:59:49
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 21:25:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rednroll

UnderTow

Well, I hate to be the one to say this, but that's not correct information either. Here's the purpose of dithering. DACs are fixed point integer math devices. So if you have 24 bit DACs, when you are mixing down the floating point math will be converted to fixed point math and then the bits will be "truncated" coming out from the DAC. So in essence you are hearing what you mixed down without any dithering applied.

Yes and no. You are hearing the mix with quantisation distortion and you are not hearing the mix with the dither added which you should.

Now here's where dither really becomes important. When you do a fade out on a mix, then when the audio get's converted from floating point to fixed point the fixed point resolution gets very small where you start to be working only with 1 or 2 bits of resolution since the amplitude is so small when converted to fixed point during fade in/out situations where the amplitude becomes very small.

It isn't only on low amplitude signals. The quantization distortion affects signals of all amplitudes.

So the audio still has dynmics at this level but is only represented by 1 or 2 bits of information. What happens is that due to the dynamics the audio will sound like it's turning on and off during a fade out, because it's going from absolute digital zero and intermitantly being turned on with the representation of 1 or 2 bits. So if you listen to the fade out thru a pair of headphones the fade out will sound unnatural because there are moments of interuption where it goes to complete silence and then turns back on with those one or 2 bits of resolution that can be heard.

This is happening at the sampling rate speed. You shouldn't hear it going on and off. What you hear is quantization distortion. Also, as the quantization artifacts are not anti-alias filtered, they can have frequencies that go beyond the nyquist frequency and alias back into the audible band.

When you hear the signal going on and off is when the signal amplitude is below one bit for relatively long periods of time. Not because the signal is modulating arround one or two bits.

Anyway, this is all bad news for audio quality.

When you have a 24 bit DAC, this is hardly noticeable because your dynmics range is 144dB. So it is very difficult to hear the turning on and off of the fade out where you're only working with 1 or 2 bits of fixed point resolution. But your final destination is a 16 bit CD, which has 96 dB of dynamics range where the turning on and off of the last 2 bits of resolution in the fixed point math becomes much more obvious during a fade out.

With proper dithering you have more than 144 dB and 96 dB dynamic range respectively. You only have those figures without dither. The dither means that the noise floor is higher but we can perceive sounds well into the noise floor.

To elliminate the turning on and off that is obvious, "dither noise" is added which is usually a broadband noise with an amplitude of 1 or 2 bits. So now when this gets added to the audio signal it is less obvious that the fade out is turning on and off, since there is now the noise of the dither being added to the audio signal. So there is much less of the turning on and off of the audio signal that is noticeable during a fade out situation. So if you apply dither noise during the mixdown process, and then futher add dither noise at the mastering process, then these dual noises can add together and now you have a higher noise floor of up to 4 bits of noise.

When you add dither (could be TPDF noise, or noise shapping which isn't actually adding any noise, could be adding coloured noise, could be UV22 which seems to be a guarded secret as to what it really is) to go down to 24 bit, you are not adding it at the same amplitude as when you go down to 16 bit. The two bits peak to peak of dither (assuming TPDF) don't add up to 4 bits. Even if you add TPDF twice at the same amplitude, they don't add up to four bits as the signals are not correlated.

You still need to add dither to go to 24 bits or you end up with quantization distortion (aliased or not). By adding dither you actually increase the resolution of your signal beyond the 16 or 24 bits available. It is always good to dither your signals when reducing bit depth.

So the real summary is that you should use dither ONLY as the last process when converting to 16 bit to be transferred to the final destination of CD. This is why I say to avoid adding dither during mixdown.

Sorry but this is wrong. Only when mixing down to floating point formats (32 and 64 bit) should you not add dither.

Hopefully you're exporting at the same resolution as your DACs, therefore you ARE hearing exactly what you are mixing at.

Only when you are exporting without dither which is wrong.

Now take that 24 bit fixed point .WAV file and go to the final mastering processes. Then apply your final fade out, where you are still working with floating point math, yet still hearing the audio thru the 24bit truncation of the DAC. Then when you convert to 16 bit, then apply the dither so you don't hear the turning on/of when the audio is within an amplitude of 1 or 2 bits of fixed point resolution which is only obvious during low level amplitude signals like when you fade out to digital zero or fade in from digital zero.

This is wrong, see above.

The different types of dither are the shapes of the noise being applied to the entire audio signal which usually only has 1 or 2 bits of resolution. Thus "triangular" adds a 1 bit amplitude of a tringle wave. Then there's white noise/broadband, which random.

This is entirely incorrect. You never add a triangle wave for dithering. You add random white noise with a triangular distribution probability function. This has nothing to do with the waveform. And you need to add 2 bits (peak to peak) of TPDF noise for correct dither.

So if you are adding dither at mixdown and additionally at mastering, you are unnecessarily adding double the amount of "noise" to your audio signal, which means it can be additive noise, which means it can increase up to +6dB in level each time you add dither to your audio signal.

As stated above, you are not adding them at the same amplitude. You need to modulate the LSBs of the destination word length so you need to dither any time you reduce bit depth. Adding noise at -144 dB hardly adds up to noise added at -96 dB.

I agree, let's try not to do that because a lot of the information in this thread is incorrect. Jesse G's summary is right on the money.

Sorry but your information is incorrect and so was Jesse G's summary. I remain with my statement about misinformation.

UnderTow

cGar
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 21:44:43 (permalink)
    Im gonna have to disagree with the never dither until the final stage.

If you are truncating, you should dither!!! If you are exporting the digital file to do matering in the digital domain then you should not truncate at all.

Just export as 32/64-bit float then do all your mastering in floating point and then ONLY dither at the final (and only) truncation back to 16/24-bit depending on your media format (i.e. CD or DVD).

When ever you truncate (that means always) you have a resulting distortion that is HIGHLY correlated to the audio you are working with. Dither flatens this distortion to a white or shaped noise (depending on the dither type) This is ALWAYS better than a correlated distrotion caused by truncation!!!!

It's really all about how you perceive things you hear. If the truncation distortion is not flattened by dither you could have potentially many more dB of distortion in the midrange which is more perceivable than distortion in the highs or lows). That is always bad. Thats where noise shaping (like in Sonar pow-r) comes in. The more advanced dither try to move all the noise away from the midrange where you can't tell even it is as very high dB because your ears much less sensitive at the very low and high frequencies. Now again as some have pointed out when using 24-bit the truncation distortion in the midrange frequencies (even though it could be higher than other frequencies) could still be so low that you won't hear it. But why take the chance when you know you could just flatten out the distortion.

To give a working example: say you are working with singer. And you take your vocal track and filter out everthing below 1k and everything above 4k. So you only have midrange frequencies. You then truncate from 32-bit float to 16 or 24 bit. The distortion that happens will exist only in the small frequency range (1k-4k) due to the "correlation" I mentioned above. It could potentially be very audible especially using 16-bit. Now if you dither you take all the distortion in the small 4kHz range and spread it across the entire 20-20kHz range. Imagine all the badness piled up in the center now evenly spread all over. This is never bad cuz you hear perceive it even less in the highs and lows but now the crap in the center is much lower too.

So if you must truncate before getting to the mastering phase. For example you leave the digital realm to an anolog mixer or you digital mixer only has 24-bit inputs you should dither. A small amount of white (uniform) dither noise is better than the small amount of correlated truncation distortion (regardless if you can hear it or not) you may be percieving it and that can cause you to mix/master differently!!

Go Big or Stay Home!!

www.soundcloud.com/cgar
    www.myspace.com/cgarridomusic

MacPro (8x2.8GHz)
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 22:07:44 (permalink)

I agree with most of what you say. Just a few comments:

ORIGINAL: cGar

When ever you truncate (that means always) you have a resulting distortion that is HIGHLY correlated to the audio you are working with. Dither flatens this distortion to a white or shaped noise (depending on the dither type)

It isn't that it flattens the distortion. It actually removes it. Instead you have noise but that is preferable.

To give a working example: say you are working with singer. And you take your vocal track and filter out everthing below 1k and everything above 4k. So you only have midrange frequencies. You then truncate from 32-bit float to 16 or 24 bit. The distortion that happens will exist only in the small frequency range (1k-4k) due to the "correlation" I mentioned above.

This isn't entirely correct. The distortion is indeed correlated with the signal but try the following experiment:

In SoundForge (or similar), generate a sine wave at 4Khz. Open the Spectrum analysis and set buckets to 65,536 (top left). You will see that SF doesn't generate a pure sine wave but anyway, now reduce the bit depth to 8 bits with no dither. Refresh the Freqency analysis view. You will see that there is distortion at many different frequencies. Especially above 4 Khz. (You can also hear this distortion)

So if you must truncate before getting to the mastering phase. For example you leave the digital realm to an anolog mixer or you digital mixer only has 24-bit inputs you should dither. A small amount of white (uniform) dither noise is better than the small amount of correlated truncation distortion (regardless if you can hear it or not) you may be percieving it and that can cause you to mix/master differently!!

Entieely agreed.

UnderTow
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 22:34:24 (permalink)

So the real summary is that you should use dither ONLY as the last process when converting to 16 bit to be transferred to the final destination of CD.

Yep, some of the comments are almost laughable. Yours are the only ones that really make sense, Rednroll.

If you are properly applying dither to 24-bit audio, the dither signal is, what, -132dBF or something like that? Do you REALLY think that adds ANY audible color to the sound?

And no, I'm not confusing the ADC with the DAC. You have the same basic issues, just "in reverse". Then of course, you are sending the signal out a standard audio line out, to standard audio equipment. Even if it hadn't been dithered down to about 20 bits before that, it has been now. If you think the sound you hear coming from your speakers is true 24-bit audio, then you are mistaken.

This whole thread is actually one big mis-think.
    Saxon1066
    • Total Posts : 619
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 23:10:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for confusing the crap out of me, guys. I have no idea now whether to leave dither on or off during tracking and mixing. I'm not as worried about mastering, since I may hire a mastering house. Hope they know what the dither they are doing.

Sax
    UnderTow
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 23:18:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sinc

So the real summary is that you should use dither ONLY as the last process when converting to 16 bit to be transferred to the final destination of CD.

Yep, some of the comments are almost laughable. Yours are the only ones that really make sense, Rednroll.

Amazing. His information is incorrect. Some people might not be making sense to you but that doesn't mean we are wrong.

If you are properly applying dither to 24-bit audio, the dither signal is, what, -132dBF or something like that? Do you REALLY think that adds ANY audible color to the sound?

Why add distortion and reduce resolution when proper dithering will fix this?

And no, I'm not confusing the ADC with the DAC. You have the same basic issues, just "in reverse". Then of course, you are sending the signal out a standard audio line out, to standard audio equipment. Even if it hadn't been dithered down to about 20 bits before that, it has been now. If you think the sound you hear coming from your speakers is true 24-bit audio, then you are mistaken.

You need to add the dither BEFORE bit reduction. Adding noise in the analogue domain afterwards is completely pointless. Dithering is not about masking. That is a fundamental missunderstanding of how dithering works.

This whole thread is actually one big mis-think.

Yes it is but on the part of people that think you shouldn't dither a signal when reducing bit depth down to 24 bits.

UnderTow
    AlesisM51
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/23 23:44:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Saxon1066

Thanks for confusing the crap out of me, guys. I have no idea now whether to leave dither on or off during tracking and mixing. I'm not as worried about mastering, since I may hire a mastering house. Hope they know what the dither they are doing.

Sax

The analogies are never perfect but just as those who work professionally don't always agree about whether you can hear 192KHz versus 96KHz, I think you can be fairly confident that those in charge of the mastering process will be able to overcome this terrible dilemma and dither only where it's appropriate. That said, I never miss these threads!!

Richard
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Pattor says: let your ears decide whether dither at 24 bits or not 2006/04/24 00:20:18 (permalink)
    Y'know... It all comes down to SOUND. I'm wondering if anyone can post audio files that exhibit the artifacts from good, bad or no dithering.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1