to record dry or not to record dry

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 23:36:31 (permalink)
We're talkin' DAW here:

So:: use a DI box to send the dry guitar signal to one track and then send the amp/room mic signal to other tracks.

You then get both to play with. And if necessary/desired, reamp the dry for grins.

J
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 07:45:35 (permalink)

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 17:32:42 (permalink)
It's all a matter of style and goals I guess. Are you looking to *capture* a great performance, or *create* a performance after the fact? Obviously, if you are a professional mixer, you better be good at the latter, since your getting paid probably depends on your being able to make silk purses out of sow's ears.

For me, as a self recorder, I'm way more interested in capturing a great performance. My performances aren't at the great level yet. However, by the time they get there, I want to have learned how to capture them very well with a minimum of complications. So I'm concentrating on learning how to put the actual performance onto the disk and then leave it alone as much as possible.

I don't want to spend days doing automation on tracks, when I could have just performed it that way. I don't want to spend half a day on every track going through 25 takes and laboriously comping out stuff. I want to mix it while I'm playing it, as much as possible.

Most of the greatest music ever made was made that way, and most of the rest of it only used techniques that weren't much beyond that. As someone said over on Gearslutz, today it's all about sounding perfect at the expense of sounding good. I don't want to create any illusion that I'm better than I really am. Then I'll have to actually get a lot better.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 17:40:43 (permalink)
That's a great ethic if you have a band that's well rehearsed and you go into a studio and hire an engineer to record your act while you play the best you can.

But if you're sitting at home recording your self you are part of a brave new world where everything is possible... and all that matters is if the results sound great.

very best,
mike

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 18:05:31 (permalink)
Today, it's really the opposite. It's almost ONLY the home recordist who has the luxury of doing what I'm doing. I doubt any commercial content that is on the charts today is ever made like that. Obviously there are indie labels doing lesser known bands that are still doing direct to tape stuff. But the stuff on the radio is all completely artificial.

If you are a self recorder, you have the luxury of just taking the time to do it right, because no one is waiting outside to buy your stuff when its done anyway, and you aren't paying anyone to sit there while you twiddle around. It's just your own time. You also have the luxury of just taking a pee on the current trend of artificiality, so you can do music that sounds like real, human produced music if you want, which is what I'm interested in.

From a *commercial* standpoint, all that matters is how it sounds. But if you are a self recorder you have no commercial constraints. All that's driving people like us to do incredibly artificial music creation is an attempt to sound better than we really are, i.e. vanity, or somewhat more charitably an attempt to emulate the plastic sound of today in a vain hope of becoming rich and famous. I have just turned off that part of my ego. What it is is what it is. If I can't actually play it or sing it, then I don't want pretend like I can.
post edited by droddey - 2010/07/11 18:09:47

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 18:13:56 (permalink)
Raising Sand = Grammy

Amy Winehouse = Grammy

How about those Avett Bros who are plastered all over every thing these days?

Miss Jones and the Daptones?

edit: corrected the spelling of Miss Winehouse's name. 
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/11 19:10:33

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 18:45:44 (permalink)
There's the occasional Amy Winehouse, but they are dwarfed by the opposite, at least wrt to the primary music market of teens. If you go to a site like Gearslutz, and post a thread asking how many projects all of the folks there get to track a year where it's of the Dap Kings variety vs, the tedious hand assembly of artificiality, I'm sure you would end up with an almost infinity to one ratio.
post edited by droddey - 2010/07/11 18:47:15

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 19:07:46 (permalink)
I have an idea...

Why not go over there and tell them that it is your impression that this is the case and see what kind of response you get.

I don't go over to GS unless I have a very specific question about some piece of gear... the guys have been very helpful when I ask those sorts of questions... but in general those analog ideologues scare me ;-)

I'm optimistic that if you are ever at the point where you really like your performance... that you'll find recording it is really easy... any way you go about it.

I've heard some of your stuff... I believe I said it reminded me of some of my favorite John Lennon late period work. That's meant as a compliment.

best,
mike

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 20:02:45 (permalink)
I know what the response will be, which is why I made that suggestion :-) I read the conversations there all the time. It's pretty much a constant complaint that it's all nothing but comping, auto-tuning, drum replacement, etc... these days.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 22:06:25 (permalink)
BTW, I guess that the cynic in me also figures that probably a lot of them are not necessarily THAT unhappy with the situation, because it makes the mixer pretty much more important than the artist. If the mixer actually creates the real performance, it gives them more control over the process (and hence makes them more important to the process and guarantees their employement better) than otherwise would have been the case.

Though a lot of them do truely bemoan the fact that they never get to do the kind of recording and mixing that used to be the norm.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/11 23:07:47 (permalink)
Yes, I think you may be missing the forest while being preoccupied with the trees.

I maintain that there is more recording activity than ever in the history of our planet.

I think it is a mistake to think that just because the commercial mass distribution segment sells millions of records that they define the norm for production processes.

That does not seem like a logical conclusion.

best,
mike

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 00:14:25 (permalink)
Well, I'm talking about professional engineers of course, not home recorders. There's clearly more recording than ever because of the DAW and associated accessories. But in the professional world, they seem to get, all too often, either folks looking for the modern sound, which is very artificial and involves a lot of manipulation, or people (regardless of what they are looking for sound-wise) are not sufficiently proficient to actually play the music at what would be considered a professional level, and that also requires a lot of artificial manipulation.

They almost universally seem to complain that they don't get hardly any highly competent bands who can just plug in and do it. Given the ability to do almost anything to the recorded content after the fact, everyone wants to just record a bunch of stuff, and then bang it into some sort of shape during the mixing process, and that also means there's that much less connection between being a recording musician and being a good musican. 

Most of these folks aren't doing major label Miley Cyrus type stars or anything, though if they are those are generally very artificially created. As you indicated, there are boutiquey indie labels who probably get the actual really good musicans who can just plug in and do it. But the rest of them in between are maybe getting the wannabe bands and demos and vanity projects and that kind of thing, or at least more of that than they'd wish, where they are asked to do the modern artificial thing and/or have to do a lot of fixing up.
post edited by droddey - 2010/07/12 00:22:34

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 06:59:03 (permalink)

Yes, I think you may be missing the forest while being preoccupied with the trees.

I maintain that there is more recording activity than ever in the history of our planet.

I think it is a mistake to think that just because the commercial mass distribution segment sells millions of records that they define the norm for production processes.

That does not seem like a logical conclusion.

best,
mike

:-)

The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 08:21:56 (permalink)
Here is what 2 minutes at Gearslutz revealed to me this morning:

http://www.gearslutz.com/...cording-my-studio.html

I think the sample set you are referencing is far to limited.

When I offer two Grammy winning "albums of the year" as examples that musicianship is alive and well and you dismiss them as boutique recordings you are revealing, in my opinion, a lack of awareness of what's going on out in the world.

You can repeatedly point to examples of the fact that the easiest to encounter forms of music are specifically made to be the easiest forms of music to encounter. That's the result of push marketing.

Your conclusions that other forms of music making are not thriving is illogical.

One does not negate the other.

very best,
mike

BTW I found the post I linked to by going into the Acoustic music section of Gearslutz rather than the Rap section, or Electronic music sections.

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 08:42:38 (permalink)
That kid made some awesome eclectic music. How cool Mike. Thanx for sharing this find-

I wish he would have taped some up the visual performance live. Tha would have made the video better to see that kid doing his thing.

Very cool-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 09:30:31 (permalink)
I love music when it speaks a universal language.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 17:39:20 (permalink)
I said I was talking about people who do this work for others, not self-recorders. Obviously self recorders can do whatever they want. But they aren't what kids are listening to, otherwise they wouldn't be self-recording anymore. You can easily to find the top 100 list and go through them. And you can easily go back through the top 100 lists for the last half a decade and they'll likely be pretty similar to what the current 100 are, i.e. quite artificial.

And, yes, Amy Winehouse is a pretty significant exception. And I imagine that the folks who vote for those things are not the kids who are buying (or downloading more likely) music. What people who mix for a living are likely to be dealing with is a lot more likely to be the top 100 style stuff, since it's the current norm for commercial music and if you are investing money in making a record, it's probably because you want it to sell, and so you probably are going to try to do something in the mainstream. The Daptones recordings are definitely unusual these days. The number of studios that are doing tape based recording is dwindling to a small few, which is why tape decks that used to cost tens of $K now dost a few thousand or less.

That doesn't mean that there's not a lot of other types of stuff out there. There's always been a lot of other types of stuff out there. But in terms of the professionals, they are way more likely to get the mainstream customres. Anyone way out of the mainstream probably won't get much of a chance to do a professional album unless it's a vanity project. 

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts/hot-100

I think if you go through that list, it seems to me that throwing up Amy Winehouse as a counter balance to that isn't very meaningful. That's a pea compared to an elephant.

post edited by droddey - 2010/07/12 17:45:16

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 21:28:56 (permalink)
FWIW, Ivo is professional recordist and mastering engineer who happens to also be a fantastic professional musician.

When you refer to him as self recordist (if that is what you meant) it seems sort of arbitrary on your part.

Seeing how I personally have no single idea about what's on the charts these days... and I actually buy CDs all the time... I've got 5 sitting in my Amazon shopping cart at the moment... I maintain that staring at the charts will make you myopic.

I'll suggest there is an irony to the fact that you seem focused on something you don't even seem to enjoy.

I'd like to throw out the idea that I don't think the magical rooms and magical bands coexisted for a very long time.

The great live performance pop bands were pretty much gone by the time the great made just for an audio studio rooms came on line. The same great made just for an audio studio rooms that are closing down all over the world.

That didn't stop the great bands from playing it live... they played in what ever room they had just like they do now.

The great rooms weren't wasted either... because lots of bands did a great job with the new modern techniques.

There's a reason SSL dominated the 80's and 90's... automation.

All the older great music was recorded in big industrial rooms (Studio One and Two at Abbey Road) or small basement like places that might remind you of a bedroom or a garage (the Mowtown rooms).

The greatest studio in Nashville for many years was a Quanset hut with some peg board baffles.

etc. etc.

So there you go... the world has professionals making music in any number of places and situations and I think looking at the charts is giving the charts a little too much credit.

Most of that stuff is exactly the stuff that will be forgotten next week... while all the good work being done these days will slowly make it's way into the hands of people who seek it out.

I don't really care how a record gets made as long as I respond to it when I hear it.

Anyways, I'm just throwing out some ideas.

best regards,
mike

dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 23:10:55 (permalink)
mike_mccue

This example IME is unconventional.  Maybe splitting hairs but instead of a "reamp" box you would actually just use a normal DI box which will have a "thru" jack.

As far as the main topic-- I prefer to record dry whenever possible, but sometimes I record people who use FX pedals that are a "major component" to their main riff.  In that case I will use their pedals unless they are just atrocious.  Although sometimes a sucky DOD or Behringer pedal will have just the right character for the song so you never know. 
post edited by dontletmedrown - 2010/07/12 23:42:56
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/12 23:46:57 (permalink)
That 7 year old is a reminder, now that commercial music is dying, that music does not need to be confined to VCVCBVC.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 07:13:18 (permalink)
"This example IME is unconventional.  Maybe splitting hairs but instead of a "reamp" box you would actually just use a normal DI box which will have a "thru" jack."

Yes, I don't disagree. This technique was taught to me when I sought a way to avoid using a passive direct box as a splitter.

When one searches for a *better* direct box one will eventually end up at the realization that the very best direct box for a hi-z passive guitar pickup (especially when a split is required) is "active" and has a full scale power supply with good buffering. That's more energy than anything designed for batteries can provide... so I'm speaking of some sort of AC power supply with great rectification etc. You'll want fat capacitors in the filter circuit to act as reservoirs when there is a demand for power.

At some point you realizes you are describing a preamp... and if you have a rack full of very good preamps you may already have some great options. Certainly better than even the best boxes labeled "direct box".

I've been using the Great River MP-2NV for guitar and a UA LA-610 for bass... sometimes I use a Chandler TG-2.

Using a top of line preamp as a splitter has almost zero drawbacks... just make sure you don't get a ground loop.

Using the Reamp device in this manner makes it easy to drive your efx and amp in a way that is familiar to a live player.

The dry signal that you capture simultaneously can be used at any time to Reamp again and again... if you want to do that sort of thing.

I think as Reamping becomes more common you'll see more people becoming aware of a technique like this... in the mean time I prepared and share this illustration to help spread the word.

I tend to use close mic techniques on my amps...so I don't worry much about phase coherency.

If you run your mics further back you may want to address phase coherency.

Little Labs sells both reamping devices and phase correction boxes. They also sell a device that lets you run something like a pedal board or efx rack in the control room, so the guitarist can hang out near the main monitors, while the guitar amps are out in a recording room. It's basically a way to send a hiz signal a long distance via a hi-z>lo-z>hiz conversion.

I don't use the long run tools because I have a smaller layout.

Anyways Dave, I'm really just sharing the details because IIRC, you are a serious Reamping tone freak.

This system works very well for me, and it was taught to me specifically when I asked for help... I didn't just make the system up.

all the best,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/13 07:23:09

The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 07:16:45 (permalink)
" VCVCBVC"

I am practically itching with curiosity... PLEASE elaborate.

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 14:56:50 (permalink)
Verse, Chorus, Verse Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Chorus.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 15:32:42 (permalink)
ahh you see.... I'm clueless.

I grew up calling that ABABCAB

all the best,
mike

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 20:35:53 (permalink)
Same thing.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/13 21:07:55 (permalink)
I grew up calling that ABABCAB

Hmm...  Makes me wonder if Genesis's ABACAB had anything to do with that.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/14 23:50:40 (permalink)
I was just looking at some charts... it was too difficult to do at home on 56k.

FWIW The Amy Winehouse Album Back to Black is the 3rd best selling album in the UK for the period between 2000-2009.

"Back to Black is ranked as the 18th best selling album of all-time in her native country,"

By a rough summing of the various countries the album sold well over 17,000,000 copies world wide.

Not so bad.

I was surprised at how large the numbers were.

best,
mike

droddey
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/15 00:08:26 (permalink)
She did well, and it's heartening that occasionally that can happen. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to the mainstream stuff, and it was now like 6 years ago I think.

If you look at Youtube and do a search for Lady Gaga, and add up the number of views for just the first page, you'll hit probably around 700M views. If you converted that to album equivalents, that would be about 70M albums worth. I imagine that she probably has a couple billion views altogether, and that's just on Youtube, not counting downloads and legal sales.

Obviously those aren't all sales, but it's no longer possible to compare sales of new music to stuff that came before five or more years ago because piracy is so ridiculous. Still, clearly she is enormously popular and is one of the definers of the mainstream these days.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/15 06:31:59 (permalink)

It's all a matter of style and goals I guess. Are you looking to *capture* a great performance, or *create* a performance after the fact? Obviously, if you are a professional mixer, you better be good at the latter, since your getting paid probably depends on your being able to make silk purses out of sow's ears.

Interesting thread.

If a record company is behind an act (lets assume a singer here) they still will more often than not make sure there are players in there that can lay the stuff down cost-effectively in a few takes than pay an engineer the time needed to meticulously post assemble sub-standard fragments into the real deal for everything but pure machine based music (which still requires a great deal of talent to produce).

I think the surprising thing is the persistence of real talent hasn't waned even in the light of mechanical post production techniques and greater opportunities 'to fake it'.  For me it's still the home producers that have the least access to talent other than their own but even that is diminishing the more people realise they can collaborate on-line and just choose the people they dig for a particular track.

The myth that you can have no talent at all be it for creation or performing and come out of a 'pro' studio with a grammy winner is as perennial as the recording industry itself, and it still doesn't hold any weight at all.

If you can't do the initial business in some way shape or form then no amount of skilled sows ear re sculpting will make a jot of difference although if you want paid work as a professional mixer when the studio is quiet it might pay to perpetuate the myth a bit longer.

Talent stands out in stark relief and I don't see or hear any less of it today than I did 30 years ago and the other perpetual truth of the recording industry is that there's plenty of it on a par with our Amy, mentioned here, that doesn't see the light of day.

So staying on topic in the light of all that is keep the initial signal as near to real as you can (whether 'real' means sans effects or dry to you is your choice.)  but work on getting 'that' performance that you need and don't be satisfied with less (there's usually no point in even listening back if you 'think' you may have fluffed it because recording is unforgiving. In my experience 99% of the time even if you vaguely 'think' you fluffed it YOU DID!  Just retake.).  You may be able to make something mediocre acceptable after the event but if you end up capturing real magic you'll be hard pushed to mess it up after the event.  And whatever happens you'll always be in possession of that pure unadulterated take.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/15 06:50:52

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
The Maillard Reaction
Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/15 07:00:07 (permalink)
Lady Gaga?

I've seen here play piano and do it very well.

A few days ago I listened as she sang "Someone to Watch Over Me" in the rain. Goodness it sounded very nice.

The girl can play and sing quite well.

If she sold 70m copies of something... I think there is a good reason.

Anyways, I am no longer trying to make a point.... just babbling.

I am curious to figure a way to estimate what kind of numbers the "charts" really represent theses days.

I do own the Back to Black US distro CD... but I did not buy because I thought it was the best album I ever heard. I bought it out of curiosity... and then I learned to enjoy it.

all the best,
mike

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1