to record dry or not to record dry

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bhooks
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2010/07/01 22:37:27 (permalink)

to record dry or not to record dry

I am new to shs7xl and i have a question for everybody.  Do you record dry and add effects in the software or do you record guitars and such with effects already added. A book I read"guerilla recording" advocated the wet system.  I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

65 Replies Related Threads

Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/01 22:57:11 (permalink)
    I think most folks record dry and add spatial effects such as reverbs and delays afterwards.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/01 23:32:52 (permalink)
    Depends.  Guitars and such the player might need his fx to play.  part of the sound, don't cha know.  Same w/ synths.  Sometimes that will clutter up the soundstage w/ each instrument being in a different environment, so be careful.

Vocals and most acoustic instruments - dry.  there will usually be some room tone anyway.  But it is easiest to add the reverb etc. post factum.

I do use comps a lot going in - but only if they are high end.  I often don't even apply compression, but just like the sound of the unit, esp. on transformerless and budget mic pres.

Guerilla recording goes back to the early and analog days, when you had a (severly) limited number of tracks (and outboard) and would print them wet.  I can understand why it is done, but don't really agree w/ the ethos.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 02:11:46 (permalink)
    only effect on vocals on the way in should be some compression to control the levels/peaks in order to aviod clipping- you can alwayas slam the vocals with compression in the box later-

But, reverbs, delays, etc.- I recommend only if you cant get it in the box. Then you can tweak it in the box non-destructively to find the rright vibe-

As said up above, some stuff on the way in needs effects, like a guitar through a marshall amp and sometimes synths-

I use all softsynths, so that isnt a problem- but for guitar, I go direct without effects and use amp sims and effects in the box-

Rock guitar and more guitar based recording using amps or even a pod of course need some effects on the way in if the amp has a tone that you cant fabricate with a plugin-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 08:57:23 (permalink)
    MY 2 centavos.....

I always record everything dry...except: guitar.

Vox will sound strange recorded dry.... but that allows me to add what I need...compression, reverb, etc... after and I'm NOT locked in to a specific one. I track with the end in mind..... I know what it will sound like finished so I don't sweat it when listening to the mix in the cans..... 

Start dry and leave your options open.

All other instruments are done the same way except for the guitar.

On guitar, I always get the sound I'm looking for first. Even adding reverb and echo and what-not to the sound. I tend to "try" to keep the fx levels low, because I know there will be verb adding regardless in the  mix..... and I have, once or twice, had to go back and record some guitar parts over....with less moisture applied to the initial track.... but it's a learning process.

Some, but not all of the synth sounds I use have FX built into the sound, mostly reverb, so I have to go with that, and for that reason the reverb used in the mastering is generally very light, or non-existent.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 11:06:32 (permalink)
    There are many times that a guitarist will use a delay or other pedals in front of the preamp section of his amp to generate a particlar sound....and adding those effects AFTER they've been recorded just doesn't get you in the same place.

Adding effects after the preamp stages sometimes is too clean....boost pedals, delays, chorus, flange...they all do different things to the signal when patched into the effects loop or when added after the fact.

You just have to know when you're up against that situation and act accordingly.

There's nothing wrong with committing to a sound or effect from the very beginning if you know exactly where you're going with a tune.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 11:43:26 (permalink)
    I use a bit of limiting on vocals to keep any surprises from clipping the track.

I usually split guitar with a direct box, while mic'ing the amp with all the normal efx the guitar player is used to.  I've found in mixing multi-layered guitars that the live tracks often have too much high freq distortion to sit well in the mix when summed together. (Some pedal type distortion efx are pretty nasty throughout the spectrum). I can usually re-amp or use amp-sims on a couple of direct tracks to solve the problem.
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 14:10:34 (permalink)
    These types of questions always remind me of Martin Mull's answer when asked, "what do I write first, the words, or the lyrics." "And I answer, "yes."

I use a DI box to send the dry guitar to one track and then the mic and direct amp stuff goes to other tracks.

Vocals are dry. But, when playing with various outboard stuff I record the effects to another track.

Since Sonar does not record incoming signals through the effects bin I assume you guys using compression/limiting are using outboard thangs, or inserting such in the audio interface. Yes? (Clipping on the way in is not a Sonar issue. And 24 bits will not clip, don't ya know.) 

J
    =============
    My equipment:
    A small room containing:
    chair (semi-confortable)
    steel and fiberboard table: generic putty colored keyboard, wheelmouse, mixer, controllers
    Home-made wooden shelving: monitors, turntables, tape baker, mics, cassette deck, DVD deck, notes, pencils and pens
    Rack: top: 4-track tape deck, patch panels, computer, audio interface, clock, midi interface, noise gates, AC power conditioner, ethernet hub, and shelf for notes and stuff
    Drawers: manuals, disks, adaptors, meters, pedals, effects, mics, headphones, CDs, and other stuff
    Wall shelves: tapes, manuals, parts, boxes, cables
    Other: keyboards, guitars, purcussion things, amps, 2-track tape deck, and, other outboard stuff

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 18:44:27 (permalink)
    Am I too late to cast my vote?

Old schoolers and new schoolers ... with both ... "finished is better than ...(anything else)".  IOWs, for me:

Acoustic guitar:  DI or mic'd.  It doesn't matter!  Really!

Electric guitar:  DI or mic'd.    It doesn't matter!

Fx's:  Pre-DAW or In-the-box. It doesn't matter!

IOWs, there are thousands of ways each artist wrestles with beauty!  None is guaranteed best or worst.  At least my cronie ears can't tell a bit of difference.

Of course, if you have decent outboard guitar gear, I'd gravitate toward that gear and forget a lot of the DAW-in-the-box fxs.  (I, personally, have utterly failed with NI Guitar gear to color guitar tones sweetly.  I, personally, have cherished outboard processors ... like the Ax-Fx-Ultra ... that enables me to utterly DI the simulated Mesa Boogie, the simulated fuzz box, the compression, MCC, Pitch, reverb, and 90% of fx's ... pre-DAW)

Yeh!  I require a decent rack for pre's and guitar gear ... pre-DAW.  Otherwise, 'I'm lost as Dorothy'.

Are you performance-driven or samples-driven?

Most of us wretched desperados do slice and dice samples to wits end.  ... possibly due to our haughty performances being so dis-respected by our spouses'.  (like when she leaves the room the moment I 'jam')

A guitar loser like me ... must be content to slice and dice his way (guitar samples) before making it to the top of the guitar rat-race. 

I'm hoping Yoyo will chime in.  I'm sure our attention will incline to his latest techniques.

Or as one artist suggested (LanceInStudio I think): "Just make it cool".

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 19:20:30 (permalink)
    There are many times that a guitarist will use a delay or other pedals in front of the preamp section of his amp to generate a particlar sound....and adding those effects AFTER they've been recorded just doesn't get you in the same place.

Effects, or the amount of over drive for that matter, are always a part of my out board/ amp sound, prior to recording.  The way that the effects and over drive are dialled in, greatly effect the way I play the guitar.  A certain touch comes with listening to the way the effect sounds, or how an overdriven amp sustains.  Going in dry, one can not hear that cause and effect dynamic.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 22:55:21 (permalink)
    am new to shs7xl and i have a question for everybody. Do you record dry and add effects in the software or do you record guitars and such with effects already added. A book I read"guerilla recording" advocated the wet system. I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

I record guitars with outboard gear. I don't record guitars dry. I get better sound with outboard gear and I get better performances from myself when I hear the actual sound i want to record
    I record vocals dry, with maybe some slight compression. I do monitor the vocals with reverb, but it doesnt get printed
    I record bass wet, meaning I build the sound with my gear/equipment and then record it into sonar. just like guitar
    I record drums dry, but I use a little compression on them
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/02 23:33:40 (permalink)
    My opinion is try both and learn why both
    methods may work for you or why both won't.

And why limit the question to "wet" or "dry"?
    Why can't, for example, a guitar have an effect
    during the recording process and then effects
    added later? ( it very well can)

Recording technique's that work for you is your quest.

One may consider that asking a question about a technique
    may be more beneficial.

ie, "Why would one record a guitar part dry?".
    "Why would one record a guitar with only a limiter and later
    add effects?".
    "If I'm miking my amp why would I not use all my
    effects to get the sound I hear in my head while the
    music is inspiring me?".

My opinion is also that when you learn to ask the
    question right, and understand the question, you also learn
    how to find out by trying the technique yourself and make your
    own opinion based on your recording environment and preferences.

Regards

jm24
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/03 00:26:24 (permalink)
    So, what limiters/compressors are yous guys using?
    jhaugh
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/03 00:50:47 (permalink)
    I have a Line6 UX1 which has 4 outputs: 1/2 and 3/4.  With this, I can send both wet and dry to two different tracks.  Then the wet signal which usually is mic'd amp with is ready, I can process the dry without being committed.  Can do the same with vocs.

JAAMZ HOW

In the future, we'll all be famous  anonymous
    for fifteen minutes.

www.reverbnation.com/jaamzhow
    www.myspace.com/jaamzwhow

i5 3.2GHz, 4Mb @1600MHz PC, Vista SP2, SHS7XL,POD farm, Guitars, AKAI MPD18, Cakewalk A-300PRO
    bhooks
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/06 20:13:28 (permalink)
    I want to thank everyone for their input.  All the responses echoed what i was thinking. Record electric guitar with the sound you are looking for going on and use the software efx for vocals and such. I have tried using vst for chorus on a guitar and it never really sounded right. 

I have been looking at other peoples home studios on websites and see that they have all this outboard gear and I just couldn't figure out why.

thanks again for all the input guys well done.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/07 17:53:58 (permalink)
    Vox I do dry, maybe a little compression and very minimal verb, but usually without the verb. Guitars: well, it varies with each project, and which effects. Distortion I'll typically do after recording, but, like CJ says, it may affect the way I play the part too. Mostly when I record distortion, it ends up sounding muddier than when I add it later. However, I blame myself, not my tools, for that. Bass I'll usually record with what few fx I use with bass, which isn't much.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jm24
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/08 11:28:18 (permalink)
    > maybe a little compression and very minimal verb

What are you using to do this?
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 12:08:24 (permalink)
    Dry here unless its guitar specific sounds.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 17:27:19 (permalink)
    There's no consensus on this point. Some folks who are great engineers, who created some of the best stuff ever done, will say that they prefer to print EQ, f/x compression, etc... because if you don't know it's right, you shouldn't be pressing record yet, and that by having everything sounding like it's going to sound, you are building a more correct picture that lets you know how to then correctly record all the subsequent parts.

Of course most of those folks probably worked back in the day. And yeh, having less gear was probably part of it, but also having musicians who could do it was as well. These days, when most songs were never remotely performed the way they sound, it's a whole other ball of wax. If you have to manually correct every performance after the fact, then the above is a luxury you can't afford.

I take the purist view. But I'm self-recorder. So, if I screw it up, I screw it up, and I'll go back and do it again. But, each time I sock away the lessons learned and as I move forward I'll hopefully get better and better at it. Eventually, I hope to get to the point where I do almost no mixing other than some 'juice it up' automation here and there.

I spent five nights over the last week or so working on a bass part, to try to figure out how to record it so that it sounded exactly like it needed to sound as recorded without processing. Someone else probably would have taken the part I recorded the first night and just mangled it after the fact into whatever shape it needed to be. But, I just kept at it, and I learned important lessons that will let me do that a lot faster next time. And I learned a lot about my gear and how to adjust my playing style to 'mix with my fingers' along the way.

But, ultimately, no one who listens to my songs cares how it was made. So it doesn't matter in terms of the delivered product, per se. It might matter to purists, because I think that the purist approach makes for higher sonic quality. But to most folks, no one is going to care. I do it for my own satisfactions (slash self-abuse.)

Those hugely reverbed guitar solos on Dark Sid eof the Moon were done live, with David providing the reverb. That of course would make it almost completely uneditable, so you either get it right or do it again. But how could you remotely get to that place as a player without actually hearing that come out of your amp?

post edited by droddey - 2010/07/10 17:29:25

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Middleman
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 19:36:17 (permalink)
    droddey

But how could you remotely get to that place as a player without actually hearing that come out of your amp?

When we tracked, in the old days, we came out the amp dry and had the engineer apply reverb in the booth. If you had the studio reverb feed in your headphones, it was as good as having it come out the amp. In fact, the studio plates or room verbs, were generally smoother than the springs in the amp. So this was not an issue.

droddey
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 20:29:59 (permalink)
    I think a lot of guitarists would argue that's not really very much like a reverb pedal in the actual chain and in the room, so that the amp and room is reacting to the reverb, particularly with heavy reverbed solos like that. And I was assuming a pedal of some sort, not something like an amp spring reverb.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 20:53:59 (permalink)
    Ever since discovering how easy it is within a DAW to use calculated delay times that are related to project tempo I have reserved most delay type effects for post.

Most of my amps do not have spring reverb, but personally, when I play guitar I don't think of the spring reverb as a "reverb" it's just part of the sound of what ever amp I choose to play.

Other than that I figure anything goes... including using delay effects on the way in.

droddey
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 20:57:34 (permalink)
    I think I would definitely do any delay effect on a guitar via a pedal while playing, because it's so much part of the tone of the guitar part as the echos interact with each other and the new stuff. Of course you could always use two amps. Many delays offer separate wet/dry outputs so you could record them separately, but still get that very realistic 'through an amp in the room and through a mic' type sound.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 21:07:18 (permalink)
    This is just an opinion, but IMO, most of the cool delay playing I have heard over the past 30 years was just playing... with a delay effect.

If you can imagine the end result I can get the end result much more quickly in post. Further more a delay that is truly synced seems to support the song in a wonderful way where a delay that drifts may undermine the whole production.

I grew up with analog delays and everyone playing to the guitarists delay ala the Police or U2's Edge etc.  Getting a great sounding delay effect is so much easier now a days.  Later we got to use those early digi delays with that great vintage Quadraverb and SPX tone. ;-)

Of course many modern bands sync the delay effects to the drummers kick... and of course those bands use a drummer that always plays to a click... so if you really need the delay sound to get your groove on and you want it synced you can patch up something that works like that with your outboard hardware.

I personally find it to be a great feature to be able to dial in the delay setting to an 1/8th period note etc.

Just an opinion.

all the best,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/10 21:11:29

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 21:09:19 (permalink)
    forgot to add:

When using a delay effect as a loop phraser... I simply do that with a groove clip... because loop phrasing is cool... and it's so darn easy with a modern DAW.

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/10 22:53:06

Middleman
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 21:23:55 (permalink)
    droddey

I think a lot of guitarists would argue that's not really very much like a reverb pedal in the actual chain and in the room, so that the amp and room is reacting to the reverb, particularly with heavy reverbed solos like that. And I was assuming a pedal of some sort, not something like an amp spring reverb.
    Generally in a large studio you have headphones on and you are not going to hear the reverb or amp interacting with the room. You will hear what microphones have captured from your amp and maybe a room mic coming back through your headset. But this is not the same thing as listening to your amp in a room for inspiration. Not saying you can't use pedals but in better studios, their in-house effects are way better than pedals, especially for chorus, delays, reverb and flanging such as you find in high end Lexicon or TC systems, much more desireable. Now live, heck yeah. The only acception I would say would be distortion pedals. I would always want to have those dialed going to the DAW.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 21:33:57 (permalink)
    There's nothing wrong with committing to a sound or effect from the very beginning if you know exactly where you're going with a tune.
    My sentiments too. 

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    droddey
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 22:39:03 (permalink)
    I think I would definitely do any delay effect on a guitar via a pedal while playing, because it's so much part of the tone of the guitar part as the echos interact with each other and the new stuff. Of course you could always use two amps. Many delays offer separate wet/dry outputs so you could record them separately, but still get that very realistic 'through an amp in the room and through a mic' type sound.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 22:51:51 (permalink)
    Did you forget the quotation marks?

Or is there a delay in here?

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:to record dry or not to record dry 2010/07/10 23:08:14 (permalink)
    droddey

How do I set the delay time?

Do I play the guitar part first and then drum to it?

Do I spend an hour playing guitar while a engineer tweaks the delay settings hoping it will sync up with the drums eventually?

Do I have a digi delay with easy to set times?

Do I use a digi delay that can be triggered by a midi kick beat or click track clock?

How do I deal with tempo changes? Do I reach down and twist a knob?

Do I just let it flow and swing and hope the swampy vibe works for the song?

Does the signal from the delay really push the amp into another zone of interaction?

Do I mix the delay return loud enough that it really adds to the to the saturation of the amp circuit.

Do I use a stereo delay in a mono guitar amp? If so do I ever miss the stereo part?

Do I really place the mic far enough from the amp to capture the sound of a room?

Have I taken the speaker out of the isolation box I have been using?

These are all questions that immediately come to mind.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1