Helpful ReplyA couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/04 16:18:06 (permalink)
Tom: From what I can see, the XL basically allows for more than 100 speaker cab sims as well as a fool-proof on board back up system. I really don't know the extent of what it does. I only checked to see if it had more power for seamless program changes without using "scenes" but it doesn't, so I didn't pay any mind to it other than briefly checking into it.

I don't need to have more than 20 cabs loaded let alone 100 that mine can store. The XL is 400 I believe. The fool-proof back-up thing...you sort of get with the Mark II and you CAN get it for an additional $7 with shipping included by purchasing the ROM chip. With all software, sometimes you can get a glitch that makes the unit stop working after a firmware update. It's rare but it DOES happen. The ROM chip resets everything and you're back up and running. Without the ROM, you have to send the unit back. The XL has it built in. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the extra money really.

I really don't think you'll need the XL, then again, with this company, God knows what "future" means. The dude updates the unit just about monthly to a state that basically gives you a brand new pre-amp with more ground-breaking innovation. Sometimes it's the update you need, other times you're better off leaving things alone with an older firmware because sometimes it totally changes your patches. As long as you have things backed up with each firmware, you never have a problem.

For example, if I find I'm not liking my tone as much now with build 15.3, I can go back to 12.0 and restore all the stuff I had then. So it's a really good system to have. It also gives you a chance to see how far you and Fractal have come along. I've been updating my sounds and my firmware since version 9 I believe. Listening to my sounds now compared to then along with how far the unit has come in less than a year since I bought mine...and it really blows my doors off.

Now my big thing is sampling acoustic guitars and then playing them on my electric...oh man....pure bliss!!! Mic one up or line one in...or both at once...record the wave file, choose a clean sound, run the wave file into your Axe...play along, press the tone match button and you sound  as much like an acoustic as you can with an electric! :) I'm gravitating more towards sampling individual sounds more so than modeling my amps. I'd rather sample the best sounds in my amps that I use as it makes more sense to me. :) Most times with an amp, you only get 1-3 great sounds out of it. So heck, sample each sound and call it a day. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/04 17:25:08 (permalink)
Thanks Danny. It would be nice to save the $400... that sampling sounds killer. I would love to sample my old super reverb...

Here's the list of improvements in the XL for an additional $300: 

• Non-volatile Super-FLASH memory allows for storage of up to 512 presets and 512 user cabinets (plus reserves for future expansion...)
  • Built-in FASLINK™ port for connection to MFC-101 Mark III over conventional XLR cables.
  • Dedicated MIDI THRU jack provides lower latency MIDI relaying (vs. shared OUT/THRU in the Mark II).
  • Two onboard PEDAL jacks (vs. one in the Mark II).
  • VALUE knob now features an optical encoder with a lifespan of 1,000,000+ rotations.
  • “Secret Sauce III” instrument input features an even lower noise floor.
  • Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects. (Note that the processing power of the XL is the same as that of the Mark II, so whereas more effect instances might be offered, the total limit for overall preset CPU usage remains the same.)
  • Built-in backup firmware allows recovery in the event of complications during update.
  • Backward compatibility with Axe-Fx II Mark I/II presets via Axe-Edit software.
post edited by smallstonefan - 2014/08/04 17:53:35
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/05 03:12:10 (permalink)
Ah there we go. You know more about it than I do. LOL!

I guess one would have to think about whether the above is worth $400. In my honest opinion looking at that list, VALUE knob and built-in backup are the only things I would want for myself personally that I don't currently have. Do any of us really need 512 presets or speaker cabs? LOL! That's insanity!

The other stuff could be cool depending on your situation. A lot of the pro's that use it are not using the pre-amp part, so the midi thru jack would be important to them. Why they aren't....I wish I knew as this thing holds up to any of the amps I have. It even gives the dual rectum fryer a serious run and is close enough for me.

I'm not using any other midi gear so I just use the MFC port which is cat 5 cable....no need for FASlink.

Two onboard pedal jacks works if you are creating your own pedal board and aren't using an MFC 101. What it does is...allows you to run two controller pedals (with long cables) to the Axe. If you have the MFC, you have pedal ports in there which allow you to use super short cables.

Mine looks like this. One cable and I'm done. And...it's WAY smaller than it looks, honest. It's about 16 inches in length. (the actual Fractal MFC pedal board)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4909348/WP_000197.jpg

Value knob sounds interesting. I never thought about mine having a life span. Hahaha!

Secret Sauce? Umm...not sure where they are going with that one, but this thing has 0 noise for me. Even with extreme gain, the gate takes care of everything and doesn't choke off your sound. That's one thing that I've found incredibly impressive.

The X/Y thing sounds impressive too, however, unless it DID offer more processing power, none of this really makes a difference for me.

Built in back up...definitely a plus there. However, you can easily remedy this either with a little midi device like an old Yamaha MDF 2 or any other midi box that can back-up and send presets. If you bring a laptop or some sort of notebook, all you need is your Axe preset banks and a USB cable and you can reload your sounds in a catastrophe in about a minute. As long as the unit stays on, it will keep your sounds in memory. Now for a total system failure, this is where the $7 ROM card I mentioned comes in handy. The downside is you have to install it and use jumpers to initiate it. The XL has this already...so, it may be worth $400 to have this capability if you're playing live and the unthinkable happens. Really this is the only option worth anything to me. But $400....I'm on the fence there.

-Danny

My Site
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/05 17:49:46 (permalink)
I need to study this thread in depth but I can already see a ton of knowledge and gear suggestions here that are going to be ever so helpful to my continuing quest for all the various tones I'm going to need for all my spastic genre experiments and fusions.

My totally n00besque experience so far? Sims are cool. Some are really cool. However what I'm finding is that applying them to a totally dry DI sound (like inputting into the Inst. connection on my interface(s)) makes me still have to "chase" my tone(s). It's like the sims are pretty accurate but I don't think they are getting a pure signal from my guitar like the hardware amps would. I'm finding more and more that the sims are working a lot better if I am feeding them a nice clean signal from my amps (mostly from direct outputs but even the minimal mic experiments I've done) gets a better result. Like using them as an after effect like how I used to handle my stage sound. I used to use old tube bass amps (for the extra power) and get my crunch from stomp boxes or when I was lucky enough to have access to them the best was Hi Watt stacks with a bright clean tone and then the stompboxes. The ONLY amps that ever came close to capturing my tone without effects were the original 5050s and even then they had to be set to the max and weren't quite there (which a Boss Blues Driver helped with especially for solos). Rectifiers were good but I had minimal experience with those and there was a bit of tone chasing. Marshall JCM 2000s were also pretty promising but I've always found the gain on Marshalls... well not to my taste (especially in the mid range).

ANY hi gain guitar tube amp would absotutely positamutely HAVE to be 100w though to cut through the chaos (which are generally very expensive, break far too easy, need regular maintenance, etc which I why I generally opted for cheaper bass amps... and eventually a specific transistor amp put out by Yorkville... the 400b with the 10 band EQ to be specific).

Whatever... none of those options work for me in my meager little studio in my extremely poorly soundproofed and tiny apartment nor are they even remotely in my budget.

So I am having to completely rethink all this stuff.

I'm ditching using the Inst. in on my interface(s) because they are alright but as I said... I have to chase the sound with the sims and general mixing tools in Sonar and the results are middling at best (and compromises are being made in regards to other instruments which is horrible... this should be easier). Using the outs on my Line6 Duoverb is alright to get a clean tone and it is a lot better of a signal to work with for sims but it's OLD and probably some of the first era of sim tech out there. It has problems basically. I have my trusty old transistor Traynor TS-140 with an XLR out, Line Out and some very nice speakers (not original... better than original actually) that I think is gonna be cool. I'm introducing my hardware stompboxes instead of using the sim versions because... well hey... real is better than sim, right? Right?! lol

Now I'm still in the beginning phase of all this but so far I'm finding doing some work with the hardware beforehand is making the initial signals more usable even if they are wet and I'm still going to ensure I have a DI line going into the interface which I can then use for the sims. I'm thinking maybe panning the wet dual ins (or quadruple ins) from the amp(s), mixer, mics, or whatever in the mix and then letting the DI signal sit slightly off center pan with whatever sim compliments the wet tracks best might be interesting. I'm having a problem where with my wet signals where if I dial in an ultra tight punchy crunch for chords (power and/or full chords) that when I start laying into single string riffs the distortion kind of breaks up and weakens a bit (no longer searing) BUT if I turn up the distortion/gain on the effect pedal or even the drive on the clean amp it is all good (nice a searing as it should be with very little change to the hardware). I obviously can't automate the controls on my pedals in the mix after the fact and I don't want to make the mistake of layering too much (like I did with Beepster Creep and honestly when I go single note with my rhythms I want it to be ONE performance because it cuts more and layering dilutes the nuances of enharmonics, bends, squeals, vibratos, etc) so I'm hoping that when I need to get that extra distortion/gain for single note runs that I can use the DI sim track to wetten things up a bit without ruining the bite of the other tracks.

The other option is to do multiple takes with one set of tracks set to the less distorted crunch for power chords (and the like) and then another with more distortion/gain for the single note stuff and splice them... but I don't like that. I'd rather it all be one take for "feel" purposes.

====================================================

SCREEEEECCCCHHHHHH!!!!!

WELP.... this post got interrupted by an annoying meatworld phone call and I totally lost my train of thought. I realized I had copied this into notepad to continue it but I gotta shift to nightime mode so... blathering over (for now).

Oh yeah... I was gonna ask about a couple pieces of gear I was considering but I can do that tomorrow I guess so I'll just drop this turd of a post and pontificate other more pressing things like dinner.

I appreciate the good thread, guys. Awesome stuff.
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/07 21:52:04 (permalink)
Hey Beeps....will try to get back to that other thread too...but might be able to say it all here. :)

Guitar sims really rely on the cab sims that are associated with them. The other side of the coin is how good the sim is itself and then of course they work even better when you have a nice conditioned signal going in.

As for your board, the aux outs should work fine going where you need them to go. I did some checking and low and behold, I'm sending a few of mine to my net box which has a Realtek....so I'm sort of doing the same thing you are in THAT situation.

So if you are sending signals into your Mackie, I would recommend some sort of processor in the line. For example, if you picked up one of those old ART pre-amps from the 80's cheap on Ebay for whatever they go for or some sort of Chandler tube driver or something, you could condition your signal going in to the sims really good. I have had the best luck with my tube pre-amp (Digitech 2101 with everything bypassed other than the clean tube pre and a little compression from it...so it's clean with no other effects) or with an outboard compressor (you can go cheap...Behringer, Samson, Alesis) and a stomp box like say a Tube Screamer, Boss Compressor Sustainer or even a Boss over-drive.

The pedals sort of push the line signal a bit the way you get a bit of buffered signal in a real amp. This allows you to get sustain instead of "just distortion" like you get with amp sims. They always fall short with actual feel or sustain (this is why I brought up the Fractal...it's nothing remotely close to any VST and can't be compared) so these methods will help get a bit of that back in.

So if you drive the signal a bit in a good way and compress it just right, you're conditioning the signal and it will behave quite well in a VST sim. So try setting something up like that if possible, go through your Mackie and then send it out to the sim. Leave the sim at default as far as levels go and you should be able to control your signals from your console. I try to send at -6 dB into Sonar at all times. There's really no set way other than the way that works for you. Hope all is well my friend. :)

-Danny

My Site
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/07 22:32:49 (permalink)
To echo what Danny is saying, I use a Valvulator as the first thing in my chain since I tend to push a lot of effects. When I realized I should run through that BEFORE my Mackie 1200f interface, it made a big difference in the tone in the amp sims!

I've got a guy trying to convince me to go with Kemper over the Axe FXII. I REALLY like the PC interface for the Axe though - it makes the programmer/tweaker in me smile! :)
Beepster
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 07:24:12 (permalink)
Hi, guys. That's what I'm thinking the Line6 head is doing (and although I haven't tested the xlr out on the Traynor I'm assuming it will work the same). Those outputs were built specifically to feed a board, or so the manuals say. It is definitely making a big difference in my sound BUT these are solid state amps which are obviously not as good as a nice tube set up and the Line6 is OOOLLLD technology so once the faux drive/gain gets turned up it starts getting a little cheesy/fake sounding (so I just run it clean and let the stompboxes/sims do that work.

However are you guys saying I should be putting something ELSE in there between the amp and the board? I would very much like a decent tube mic pre that could do hopefully both mic and instrument connections but alas such a device is not in my budget. One thing I've contemplated is finding some schematics, buying some high quality electronics and building one myself (I've known guys who used to do that type of thing and it looks pretty straight forward). Could be a neat project.

Another question is... on my "wet" tracks (the ones going through the stomp boxes into the Line6, into the board then into Sonar) is one regarding the "cab" issue Danny speaks of. Since I'm going out of the Line6 and the signal is already effected (it sounds good) I was wondering if maybe tossing an empty sim with JUST a cabinet in it might be a good idea seeing as how there isn't any cab, sim or otherwise, already in the signal. What I'm getting now is VERY in your face and dry and I'm thinking using the TH2 cab models and mic positioning tools could be a good addition to the sound. I'm not sure what would happen to THAT signal within a sim though without an amp model loaded in the sim. It makes sense to me that what the stomp boxes and Line6 are doing would replace what the head sims/effects in TH2 would do before it got to that cab sim part... but I don't know (still have to try it out).

One thing that seems to have helped make the signal sound a little more natural and roomy though is simply turning up the reverb controls on each channel of the Line6 (those controls supposedly control an emulation of the original models the L6 is set too... pretty cool). I am not one who likes reverb on my guitar as an effect at ALL but am learning how good a little bit can be for creating a bit of "room" when dealing with direct signals like this. It's also a lot easier to just turn those dials on the amp than screw around with the complex reverbs in Sonar (which are very nice but I have a hard time dialing in for a lot of stuff... need more practice). Just an interesting side not about this particular setup.

The other thing I was going to say in my post above is a while back I was looking at one of those Fender Blues Juniors (or whatever they are called... 5-10w tube amp, beige covering, very simple controls). Once I get some more income rolling I definitely want to get some kind of simple tube amp like that so I'm not stuck with the less robust solid state sound (which particularly sucks for my bluesier/jazzier work) and I can drive the tube without getting kicked out of my apartment (hopefully... lol).

Considering that most good engineers seem to be able to get some really good sounding tracks happening with just the DI and a sim I figure with all this extra wackiness I'm doing I MUST be able get something decent happening with what I've got in the meantime. If not then... well maybe I just suck. lol... but that is not an option so I'll keep hammering away at it.

I should have this most recent offering up in the songs forum in the next month or so. THis project has been all about experimentation whereas the last couple were more about just learning how to bloody well use Sonar. After this I should have a clearer picture of what I need to get what sounds out of my outboard gear and a better understanding of the stranger/more advanced tools in Sonar.

Then I hope to just start writing like a fiend because I won't need to contemplate all this fiddle faddle. I will just know.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys and it was nice touching base with you Danny.

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 07:30:46 (permalink)
Oh... and I guess maybe you guys were referring to my third signal going straight into the DI which really is more of a backup signal to be used as filler with the sims but I guess I could instead of sending the split straight out from the TU-2 to the Scarlett I could redirect it to the Traynor set to super clean, then to the Mackie and then to the Scarlett line ins on the back (as opposed to the Multi In).

I do however miss out on the Focusrite pre (I think) which honestly does sound pretty decent for a multi in. I'd have to experiment with this to see whether the Traynor would color the sound too much to be a good starter base for a sim but it is a nice sounding amp through the speaker. It's just a matter of whether that nice sound will be similar coming from the XLR out.

smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 09:16:26 (permalink)
So there are two issues to when using a buffer - the most obvious is what signal is seen AFTER the buffer (i.e. into your first pedal or your interface). The reason I like my VHT Valvulator is because of the way it handles what the guitar sees. The Valvulator literally has a valve (tube) in it, and unlike a lot of cheap crap out there (like old ART tube pre-amps) that run the tubes at ridiculously low voltages, the Valvulator runs the tube at a high voltage. Essentially, it looks like the first tube stage in a tube amp. This gives a different tone and a different feel when playing it than say plugging right into my Mackie. In fact, I plan to use it front of the Axe FX II. I put in a 12AT7 tube, which has much higher headroom than the stock 12AX7, as I don't want any breakup in this stage.

you might find that you have a buffered pedal that gives you good results between your guitar and interface (and you should try it). While the interfaces have a "Guitar" button and they change the impedance, I don't think they really focus on making that the best experience possible to the guitar being plugged in...
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 13:19:04 (permalink)
Hey Beeps,

A line 6 head shouldn't need anything pushing it. I was referring to DI specifically. Anything hardware has a buffer already there. Hardware meaning all amps and any pre-amps or all in one pedal boards. Anything VST we need to push the signal a bit. :)

James: Both of those rigs are really great. I thought of buying a Kemper for the studio just to have an extra weapon in the arsenal. But to be honest, having heard them both, I just prefer the AxeFx for my personal needs. Me doing heavier music myself, I felt the Axe FX did a better job on dirty tones than the Kemper. Clean tones, vintage tones and everything else were about even in my opinion.

It's a shame you can't try both for a while and make up your mind like I did. That's one cool thing about the studio business....I get to try things for a while especially when the clients become my friends and leave stuff for me to mess with. I wind up showing THEM how to use the thing. LOL! But seriously, both of those pieces are great. You don't lose going with either of them. And yeah, the software ability of the Axe is pretty slick...it makes working with it 100 times easier.

-Danny

My Site
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 13:31:44 (permalink)
Thanks Danny,
I think I'm going to get a chance to play with a Kemper this weekend. I've heard it's great for cleaner tones. I tend to use my 64 Super Reverb for those, but I would like a decent clean in the box. I use a LOT of effects though, and as a computer geek, having the software ability to tweak the Axe FX is highly appealing. I think both would do great for amps, but it seems the Axe FX is a clear winner in the effects department.

Wish I could play them both but I may have to buy the Axe FX on faith... :)
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 14:03:50 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Thanks Danny,
I think I'm going to get a chance to play with a Kemper this weekend. I've heard it's great for cleaner tones. I tend to use my 64 Super Reverb for those, but I would like a decent clean in the box. I use a LOT of effects though, and as a computer geek, having the software ability to tweak the Axe FX is highly appealing. I think both would do great for amps, but it seems the Axe FX is a clear winner in the effects department.

Wish I could play them both but I may have to buy the Axe FX on faith... :)

No problem James. The issue you'll be faced with is....it will probably take you longer than "a weekend" to really see what it's capable of. You'll mess with some presets....some of which will have nothing to do with your sound or style...and then you'll play around with editing presets and you may try to build your own while not doing it to the best that it can be done.

Stuff like that makes a HUGE difference believe it or not. The routing inside the Axe, for example, changes the sound drastically. You have to find out which way would be the way for you. The whole experimentation process is what allows you to really see if one of these things is right for you. Two quick stories for you...

When I first bought my Digitech 2101 (which to this day can hang darn close with a AxeFxII in certain areas...which is impressive being it came out in 1994/95) the presets showed potential. Most of them excelled in the effects the pre-amp could get over pushing how cool the tones could be. It took me a VERY long time to figure out how to create my own algorithms (and about that long to learn how to spell the word right lol) but once I did, the unit came to life in a way that made just about everyone I knew that played guitar, want one of these things.

The other story is my AxeFx. It was pretty easy for me to get a good tone out of it, but when *I* got my AxeFx, it wasn't as far along as it is now. My biggest issue was it sounded a bit too digital to me and transistor sounding. Meaning, the amp voicings. Upon doing more experimenting with it (as well as me working for a VST company called Acme Bar Gig) as well as Cliff updating the thing like crazy every month, it wasn't transistor or digital sounding at all. It was the way *I* was using it.

The effects you choose, the way you eq them, the speaker sims, the routing...all that makes a HUGE difference. A difference so grand, it was something that took me a month to totally grasp. So in saying all of the above, chances are even if you spent a week with both a Kemper and an AxeFx, you probably wouldn't be able to make up your mind unless you spent a month so you could really see how these things work.

Between trial and error (which we can only do so much of. You have a family right? Work a job....heck, how much time can you put in before wifey or kids miss daddy? LOL!) and reading, watching YouTube vids and picking the brains of other guys in the forum, even a month is a short time to be spent with either of these units. I got almost two weeks with the Kemper. Was it long enough? In my heart I feel it was...then again, in my second week with the Axe Fx, I was JUST starting to grin a little. It took that long just to sort of see a small amount of light. I wouldn't even say I was totally happy with it.

So if I had to give any advice on this stuff....from the heart, pick one and give it a month. If you are enjoying the work you're doing with it in a month, chances are in 2 months you'll really be liking it. I got my Axe in September of 2013. I didn't feel comfortable enough to use it live until March 22, 2014, which was my first show with it. I've changed or altered my tones at least once per month or more. I love it, but I'm still learning and dialing it in.

That said, the reason for a lot of the changes are due to the new firmware adding new options and possibly altering your tone a bit to where you HAVE to re-tweak it. That sounds like a downer to most people but guess what, you don't have to update. And, if you do and don't like what it does to your tones, you simply go back to the last firmware and all is well again.

So you can see what type of road you MAY possibly go down. The software makes it a snap, so yeah...if you're into that sort of thing and really like getting down and dirty with effects and want to use a big monitor opposed to looking on a little screen, the AxeFx will be great. How far I could have taken the Kemper....I really don't know. But editing it was not as cool as the Axe and I had the amp version here...and thought it was hideous looking. I wasn't interested in it right off the bat. If I bought one, I'd get the rack version.

At the time of trying the Kemper, I felt that it behaved a bit more like a real amp than the Axe did. But since we've had loads of updates since I tried the Kemper, (I didn't even own the Axe yet I don't think) the Axe has that same real behavior now. And like I said, the dirty tones are exactly what *I* was looking for and both had killer clean, semi-clean and classic tones. Tough call really. I just hope if you do choose the Axe that it is everything I said it was and those things are things that work in your world. :) 

-Danny

My Site
Beepster
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 15:19:31 (permalink)
Hi, Danny. That's what I figured and thanks for following up about the Aux send thing (which I ignored in my last post). I'm starting to formulate some alternate uses for those even if currently I've got the Channel Access points working well for now.

Now this is kind of a combination question for you and smallstonefan (and a reply to smallstonefan)...

In regards to the "buffer" between the guitar and other devices smallstonefan mentioned. I've always operated on the assumption that an instrument level signal (most importantly my guitar) absolutely requires something to bring it up to proper input levels BEFORE being attached to a mixer input.

I figured in my ignorance this was some kind of magic electronics voodoo that simply must be obeyed. I've attached guitars directly to mixers in the past just to see what would happen and I'd be able to get a signal but it was always very weak and crummy sounding so I just followed the premise of "don't connect a guitar straight to a mixer because it sucks". Those were all really pretty crappy mixers though that the Mackie puts to shame. I will be doing some experiments on my own but the following is kind of where my head has been wandering so if ya'll have the patience to read it maybe you can just say "No, that's stupid. Don't do that." or "Yeah, that might work. Give it a shot".

But seriously this is a pile of crazy so only read/ponder if it is convenient/interests you.

As I learn more about my mixer (and mixers in general) and the various levels that devices output as well as how mixers and other devices can compensate for lower and/or higher signals coming into them I'm wondering... if a mixer can make up for a low output device via input trim and other adjustments and I am using high output pickups (but not active pickups at the moment) is it actually possible to plug a guitar straight into a mixer and get a reasonable signal?

The Mackie specifically talks about being able to take "Instrument Level" input but only alludes to keyboards (which I always figured outputted at a higher level than a guitar). It claims that because of the very wide range that the input trim has that it can manage all sorts of input levels so maybe... just MAYBE I could use it as a splitter.

I am very skeptical but I also remember yourself, Danny, talking about plugging straight into your mixer for certain things and then out to various doodads but didn't quite grasp whether you meant straight into the mixer or whether there was always something in between the guit and the mixer or whether it was a fancy mixer that could bring guitar outputs up to the proper level.

So the basic question at this point I guess is... does the so called "Hi-Z" do anything more than turn up the volume being recieved by the guitar? If so... what? If not how much db should added to compensate?

Aaaaand now I'm gonna start getting weirder so if you've gotten this far maybe you want to just ignore the rest buuuuuut....

I have a pile of Boss and other pedals that all have output level controls which raise levels up and maybe add some "buffer" (I did used to use pedals in between my guitar and the multi in on my Layla which I think has some kind of auto detect for Hi-Z and it worked well enough).

Aside from not getting all the sweet textures provided by running through an amp or a pre is there REALLY anything wrong with plugging the guitar straight into a mixer (or into a pedal then the mixer) IF you are able to compensate for the lower volume on the board or elsewhere (after it is outputted to other devices or the DAW)?

I'm starting to get the impression the only problem is that it is quieter and turning it up would raise the noise floor BUT if there were say a Boss pedal with an output control to raise the level BEFORE it hit the mixer perhaps that could help.

The Mackie trim is set so that if you have it set to it's lowest point, but it is receiving a signal from a pro output device at +4db when you turn up the fader to Unity you will hear it at proper levels and it should be all good.

At it's HIGHEST setting it can take a -10db output and bring it up to that +4db. I'm under the impression the output from even a high gain guitar pickup is still below -10db BUT that could be compensated by increasing the output on a pedal (such as one of my Boss pedals) and/or turning up the fader (there is a LOT more room above unity on this mixer) or made up for after it is outputted from the mixer (like in the DAW or perhaps routed back out to another hardware device such as an amp).

aaaand now where can I send those signals....

So if all that is possible with minimal sound degradation then I'd like to know whether the mixer line outs could actually be routed out to a guitar amp's input jack. Now I wouldn't expect that to be possible but hey... I'm dreaming and scheming here so maybe if I used the Aux outs with the output level control perhaps just nudging it up a little (as opposed to unity) maybe that could mimic the signal the input jack would receive from a guitar. If this is possible it could go to the Line6, the Traynor or the other weird little amps I have around (or maybe power amps for stereos I have or other mixers or amps I haul out of garbage or borrow or build myself, etc)

My Traynor has a "Low" input jack that, based on the archaic manual, implies it can be used to take input from a mixer turning the amp into a monitor (it also says to use it for high output guitars if you want more range out of the drive channel but the thing is from the 60's so their idea of Hi Gain is a little... well not modern and it isn't really that great for plugging straight into IMO). So maybe that input could get fed by the mixer then fed out the XLR line out back into another channel on the mixer and then into the DAW.

That would allow for a LOT of crazy routing options for me and put every piece of rig I have in action at once.

So yeah... that is all a little crazy (sorry) but I really want to get my head wrapped around what I can and cannot get away with in regards to my hardware and input routing now that I FINALLY have been physically hooking things up. I'm learning a lot on my own but you guys ALWAYS give me many new things to consider even if I can't afford the more proper devices that get recommended.

Hey... if Tom Waits can record some of his insanity sitting in the middle of a junk heap and connecting all sorts of ridiculousness to other ridiculousness why can't I, eh? lol

Cheers and sorry for being crazy... but hey... that's what makes a beeps a beepster... or something.

Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 16:04:05 (permalink)
Hey Beeps,

All my guitar stuff goes into my console via XLR. I also always have some board pre-amp driving me to -6dB into Sonar. I'd never go direct into a console into the line jack with a guitar only. I have to have some sort of pre-amp (guitar pre, mic pre or console pre) driving it. Thankfully all my guitar pre's have XLR so I can treat them like a mic signal and have a little extra bawls. My board pre's work when using 1/4 too...I just prefer the XLR's. The thing with the Mackie pre's....all they do is get you to the correct level and they aren't anything special.

Then again, I'm not a pre-amp guy. I really don't like any coloration going in. Give me enough signal to get to -6dB to where it sounds like my tone or what I'm trying to record without hiss or noise, and I'm happy. I got a bit tired of the whole mic pre-amp wars as well as the expenses they carry with them. Everyone brags about a pre making a difference where to me, it either darkened a tone, made a tone a little brighter....or it saturated a little. All that stuff is like having a friend tell you a new Kenny Chesney album rocks....and you hear it and think it sucks...or vice versa.

It's cut and dry to me really and doesn't need to be super expensive or confusing.

1. Clean signal means decent cables.

2. Good signal gets you to -6dB (or whatever you choose your target input level to be) without noise or excessive hiss that is problematic.

3. It has to sound the way I heard it in my head.

If all that stuff is there...I don't care if a Samson or Behringer got me to that point. :) If I use a Drawmer a Liquid pre or an ELOP, it will be different...not necessarily better. :)

-Danny

My Site
Beepster
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/08 16:43:41 (permalink)
Cool. Very instructive and simple and cuts down my meandering query above to this...

IF I were to plug straight into the mixer...

1) What can I expect the output coming direct from my guitar to be using...

a) a standard humbucker (not an active one)

b) a standard single coil (again not an active one if such a thing exists)

I am assuming it is far less than the -6db you mention (and my studies have indicated this as well) but I'm really curious as to exactly how much a guitar will output plugged when plugged in this way.

All for purely scientific purposes of course. ;-)

As always thank you for taking the time to further my knowledge.
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/09 00:35:31 (permalink)
Beepster
Cool. Very instructive and simple and cuts down my meandering query above to this...

IF I were to plug straight into the mixer...

1) What can I expect the output coming direct from my guitar to be using...

a) a standard humbucker (not an active one)

b) a standard single coil (again not an active one if such a thing exists)

I am assuming it is far less than the -6db you mention (and my studies have indicated this as well) but I'm really curious as to exactly how much a guitar will output plugged when plugged in this way.

All for purely scientific purposes of course. ;-)

As always thank you for taking the time to further my knowledge.

The output depends on how high you have the channel fader. See, what usually happens is, if you plug a guitar straight in, to get up to the right level, you need to really push the board. This is where the Mackie falls apart. Those pre's (if you can use the pre or trim on your board with a 1/4 signal) sound horrible if you push them where if you used a real mic pre or say the Midas pre's in the Behringer X32, you'd notice a difference.

The higher you run your fader on your board to meet the -6dB signal or whatever signal you are after in Sonar, the more noise/hiss you introduce into the sound and that's what you DON'T want. A pre stops the hiss problem unless you use something vintage that has a little natural hiss due to the saturation effect.

A humbucker will just about always put out more signal than a single coil pup unless you use one of those newer ones that actually has a humbucker in a single coil body. Even if you got it to the level of your choice, you're pushing a board too hard in a manner it shouldn't really be pushed in. The Mackie pre's are mediocre at best...but work VERY well when used sparingly. As long as you don't push them too hard and have a little help from the instrument in some way, you'll be fine. This is why I always use XLR. You get a hotter signal minus the noise. Even if something is 1/4 inch, you can buy cables that have TRS 1/4's on one end, XLR on the other. Then you are sending the best cable signal to the board which cuts down on noise and is the right way to go in my opinion when using boards of this nature. :) Hope this helps.

-Danny

My Site
Beepster
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/10 13:35:46 (permalink)
That indeed has helped me wrap my head around some stuff, Danny. I was making some faulty assumptions about how current bounces around between devices (or doesn't) to feed/draw signal. I need to take a damned electronics course at some point because I get all confuzzled when looking at the various symbols/terminology and trying to grasp basic concepts.

I'm still going to try plugging the guit right in to the Mackie see how much noise the board produces and how much juice I can get but I won't bother entertaining the idea that that is an acceptable input method (which as I said was what I've basically what I thought for many years until recently).

It is however interesting to know that there are boards, like your Berhinger, that are designed for such connections. To me using an actual board to grab a dry signal instead of a splitter/DI box is much more appealing for the obviously superior routing possibilities.

I also came up with a good reason to use the 6 aux outs on the board as opposed to the 8 direct outs (if as you say the aux outs are nice and clean). Considering every channel on the board (all 16) has access to the Aux outs (and can access any of the six AND can access 4 of those aux's at one time) then I can set up cables, outboard gear like the Line6/Traynor amps, mics, etc and then set the input trim and EQ for those devices so they sound best. Then I simply have one of my snakes run from the six aux outputs into the six line inputs on the back of the Scarlett. From there instead of having to move cables around and reset channel trims/eq's on the Mackie I can just turn up the appropriate Aux knob on that channel to feed the Scarlett.

The direct outs/channel access connections are limited to the first 8 channels on the Mackie and can only be use with the corresponding channel (unlike the aux outs that can take signal from any channel).

So here's what I'm thinking (keeping in mind that Scarlett In 1 and 2 are the multi ins on the front which I would rather keep free so if I want to just plug straight in to write something or jam out without firing up all the other gear I can OR I can use the direct outs on the Mackie for special input set ups that I don't need set up all the time)...

Mackie Aux Out 1 = Scarlett Line In 3
Mackie Aux Out 2 = Scarlett Line In 4
Mackie Aux Out 3 = Scarlett Line In 5
Mackie Aux Out 4 = Scarlett Line In 6
Mackie Aux Out 5 = Scarlett Line In 7
Mackie Aux Out 6 = Scarlett Line In 8

Then I use the 9-16 channels on the Mackie to set up gear I think I will be likely to use on a regular basis, set the ideal trim and EQ and bingo bango... I can just turn on the mixer, turn up the fader to unity, turn up the appropriate Aux level knob on the mixer channel(s) to unity (or whatever I want or even mix and match for blending channels into a single track). If I run out of space within those 8 channels (9-16) I can start creeping backward into the 1-8 channels. Why keep the first 8 channels open? I guess it doesn't REALLY matter aside from organization but the first 8 have the direct outs and I only have two 8 channel snakes (one of which has two bad cables so it is essentially a 6 channel snake). So I would opt to use the direct outs for those eight channels and use them as wild cards or specifically for the TRUE use of the Channel Access which is with a TRS cable sending and receiving from outboard gear (it's an insert... not that I currently have any gear that works like that at the moment but you never know what might come down the pipe). I COULD still use the Aux on those channels anyway but I like keeping things straight in my head because this is all confusing enough as it is. lol

So yeah... it's been almost a week since I started really messing with the board but provided I don't run into any stupid noise problems I think this might be a good plan. Even if I do run into a bit of noise with the Aux outs (due to stomp boxes running through the external gear or something) then I can fall back on the direct outs as needed which is a good reason to keep the multi ins 1/2 on the Scarlett free as well.

I get the benefits of a permanent patch bay type set up and still have a ton of flexibility. Cool!

Guess I should post that in the original thread about this though but the convo seemed to have wandered over here.

Thanks again, Danny and to you as well smallstonefan.

Cheers.
Danny Danzi
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/12 13:40:06 (permalink)
Beepster
That indeed has helped me wrap my head around some stuff, Danny. I was making some faulty assumptions about how current bounces around between devices (or doesn't) to feed/draw signal. I need to take a damned electronics course at some point because I get all confuzzled when looking at the various symbols/terminology and trying to grasp basic concepts.

I'm still going to try plugging the guit right in to the Mackie see how much noise the board produces and how much juice I can get but I won't bother entertaining the idea that that is an acceptable input method (which as I said was what I've basically what I thought for many years until recently).

It is however interesting to know that there are boards, like your Berhinger, that are designed for such connections. To me using an actual board to grab a dry signal instead of a splitter/DI box is much more appealing for the obviously superior routing possibilities.

I also came up with a good reason to use the 6 aux outs on the board as opposed to the 8 direct outs (if as you say the aux outs are nice and clean). Considering every channel on the board (all 16) has access to the Aux outs (and can access any of the six AND can access 4 of those aux's at one time) then I can set up cables, outboard gear like the Line6/Traynor amps, mics, etc and then set the input trim and EQ for those devices so they sound best. Then I simply have one of my snakes run from the six aux outputs into the six line inputs on the back of the Scarlett. From there instead of having to move cables around and reset channel trims/eq's on the Mackie I can just turn up the appropriate Aux knob on that channel to feed the Scarlett.

The direct outs/channel access connections are limited to the first 8 channels on the Mackie and can only be use with the corresponding channel (unlike the aux outs that can take signal from any channel).

So here's what I'm thinking (keeping in mind that Scarlett In 1 and 2 are the multi ins on the front which I would rather keep free so if I want to just plug straight in to write something or jam out without firing up all the other gear I can OR I can use the direct outs on the Mackie for special input set ups that I don't need set up all the time)...

Mackie Aux Out 1 = Scarlett Line In 3
Mackie Aux Out 2 = Scarlett Line In 4
Mackie Aux Out 3 = Scarlett Line In 5
Mackie Aux Out 4 = Scarlett Line In 6
Mackie Aux Out 5 = Scarlett Line In 7
Mackie Aux Out 6 = Scarlett Line In 8

Then I use the 9-16 channels on the Mackie to set up gear I think I will be likely to use on a regular basis, set the ideal trim and EQ and bingo bango... I can just turn on the mixer, turn up the fader to unity, turn up the appropriate Aux level knob on the mixer channel(s) to unity (or whatever I want or even mix and match for blending channels into a single track). If I run out of space within those 8 channels (9-16) I can start creeping backward into the 1-8 channels. Why keep the first 8 channels open? I guess it doesn't REALLY matter aside from organization but the first 8 have the direct outs and I only have two 8 channel snakes (one of which has two bad cables so it is essentially a 6 channel snake). So I would opt to use the direct outs for those eight channels and use them as wild cards or specifically for the TRUE use of the Channel Access which is with a TRS cable sending and receiving from outboard gear (it's an insert... not that I currently have any gear that works like that at the moment but you never know what might come down the pipe). I COULD still use the Aux on those channels anyway but I like keeping things straight in my head because this is all confusing enough as it is. lol

So yeah... it's been almost a week since I started really messing with the board but provided I don't run into any stupid noise problems I think this might be a good plan. Even if I do run into a bit of noise with the Aux outs (due to stomp boxes running through the external gear or something) then I can fall back on the direct outs as needed which is a good reason to keep the multi ins 1/2 on the Scarlett free as well.

I get the benefits of a permanent patch bay type set up and still have a ton of flexibility. Cool!

Guess I should post that in the original thread about this though but the convo seemed to have wandered over here.

Thanks again, Danny and to you as well smallstonefan.

Cheers.

Yeah it is pretty cool to have the board to assist in tracking etc. It's also cool having a DI too, Beeps. For certain situations, it's just the right way to go as it can be cleaner and in certain circumstances, add a little color. That's the thing with this stuff. Mic pre's, pre's in a board, DI boxes with other options....there's no set way to do anything really. Some add color while boosting line level signal....some just add signal....some just add color and may not be a good driver source. If I can get enough signal out of something just as it is using the pre in the board, I go for it. If I feel a mic pre would be the better choice, it's nice to have a few of those. Sometimes I run a DI and a pre....it all depends on what you are trying to do when you are in that sound creation mode. Most times though, I try to keep it simple unless I'm specifically trying to do something different.

Yeah that Behringer board was pretty cool. It wasn't mine though man....a friend of mine was trying to sell me on it so he brought it by the studio. Some cool options for a cheap price. But it's still a live board and though it hurts my heart to say this....it's still "Behringer". Everything I've ever owned from them has broken down in 2-5 years. There ain't no way I'm going to take a chance on a mixer and wire all my stuff up just to have to break it all down to send it out for service.

I too like the permanent patching. To some it doesn't make sense, then again...it depends what you're doing. Though I bash on Behringer, I have these multi-com compressors I bought. They are the only things that sort of survived though 2 out of the 4 went bad. LOL! But there is something about them....they just condition signals beautifully to disc. Could I get other stuff to do the same stuff? Yeah...but these work really well and a few other engineers use them for the same thing as I do and love them also. We were sort of embarrassed to even mention we used them...but when one of us let the cat out of the bag (I think it was me lol) the others just followed. For light conditioning to disc, they rule. For anything else...they suck. LOL!

The coolest way to experience this stuff is to just dive in and experiment. If you can, try not to let the board do too much processing. For example, I never use the eq's on the Mackie. I get the mic positioning right or if it's a direct sound, I get the sound right before I record it. Anything that needs light adjustment can be done once I'm in Sonar. I also don't go crazy with the board pre's nor do I jack faders up too high on the board. It just doesn't sound good when you color things "Mackie". It's really not the right board to do that with in my opinion. In my little man cave though, I don't need much more than that as most of the things I record here are for demo purposes.

But yeah, it's nice to just run everything in your room into your console and then send it to Sonar. That's one of the benefits of having a board....PLUS....you get 0 latency. That's one of the real reasons I use my consoles. I send all my stuff into my interfaces and then come out of two channels of each interface and into 2 dedicated channels in the board. The cool thing about my board is...it sports both line and mic for each channel giving me a load of channels and options. So it's nothing for me to have 6 outs from 3 different soundcards running back into the console so I can hear what's happening in Sonar.

With all the input ability I have, I just about always have my ASIO drivers set at 2048 and only need to adjust them to something lower if V-Drums or a keyboard is being used with soft-synths. For all real instruments in real time, the ASIO buffers can stay on the highest setting and there's 0 latency recording in. That to me makes having a console soo worth it. When I do have to drop down, 128 or 64 buffers works perfectly because it's usually only one or two instruments that are calling for that.

The other cool thing is, I have assign switches on the master part of my Mackie. This allows me to send effects all through the board and NOT have them send to disc. I can send them if I want to, but this is for monitoring purposes only. So this stops me from ramping up any Sonar/pc resources even though my boxes will handle just about anything. I have some old dinosaur processors that are perfect for stuff like this. Need some delay, a little chorus, reverb, anything else....I got a rack that does it and does it well in real time without any resources being taken and it doesn't go to disc. Though we don't really need consoles today....I'd be lost without using one and will use them for as long as they are around. I just like the whole concept for what *I* do in my studio's. Plus, they look cool as heck! :)

-Danny

My Site
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/14 19:42:35 (permalink)
I've got an Axe FX II coming in on Tuesday of next week.
I am SO STOKED to check this thing out! :)
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/14 22:47:50 (permalink)
Full report required........

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/15 06:55:30 (permalink)
Promise! I've got some travelling to do and I'm back Thursday. I promised my wife I wouldn't open it until my return. 
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/15 06:55:55 (permalink)
Did you drop the xtra coin for the XL?
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/15 07:00:35 (permalink)
Yeah Tom, I did. Being in the software business, I'm always leery about being left behind with updates. In my head I can easily conceive of some future feature that only works on the XL. I figured this was such a big investment (can I call it an investment?) that it was a bit of an insurance policy for the future to spend the extra bucks now.

I haven't raised the scratch for the floor board yet, but that's next on my list...
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/16 00:19:26 (permalink)
I've never felt that happy with the way my Tele sounded through amp sims - there's a fine line between twangy and brittle and the two sims that I've been using up until now - Guitar Rig and TH2 - seem to err on the side of brittle, to my ears anyway. And my best attempts to "warm" the sound have ended up a little too muddy. They're obviously fantastic pieces of software and don't get me wrong, I've had some great sounds out of them, but I've just never been wowed and I always felt that other people (with different guitars) were getting way better sounds out of them than me. So perhaps certain sims play nicer with certain guitars. 

Well I seemed to have confirmed that over the last couple of days by playing with Amplitube. I had the free "bare bones" version installed a couple of years ago and I was quite impressed even with basic amps you get with it. But I never pursued it until a couple of nights ago when I demoed a couple of their Fender sims, liked what I heard and bought the Fender collection. I have been very impressed indeed with these amps and for the first time I feel like I'm playing through the real gear (I haven't played through one for ages because of my apartment situation). They just seem to bring out the best of my Tele and it's been an absolute joy to mess around with them. The clean tones are gorgeous and the crunch sounds very authentic to my ears. I don't use any high-gain sounds. I also ended up shelling out extra for the '65 Princeton model because of its clean tones. Man that custom shop is dangerous. I've also ended up with the Dr Z "Z-Wreck" model for its very modern, detailed sound and awesome twang, plus the Orange AD30 because it sounds so smooth and creamy. My Tele never sounded this good through the "Citrus" model of Guitar Rig, that's for sure. 

I've also enjoyed playing with different mics and positions a lot more than I have in Guitar Rig and TH2. It's like I can hear a lot more difference between them than I can in the other sims. I don't know if that's because they're more realistic or less realistic (I have absolutely zero experience with miking up amps) but whichever, they just sound great. 

So with a combination of my new Babyface and Amplitube, I'm one very happy chicken picker for the time being 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/16 10:35:14 (permalink)
I started with the Fender and Orange collection, Sharke and those 2 sold me. I picked up the whole collection last time they did there group buys. I find the Amplitube sims very hard to beat. The best ones seem to be the newest sims, which only makes sense.

I really like the new S Gear, 57 amp they added to their sim collection as well. I haven't used it in a song yet to see how it sits in the mix, but just playing it solo, it sounds awesome. The way these new sims react while I am playing are close enough for me, that I don't notice really that I am playing a sim. Once in a mix, fx, compression, limiting, I think they sound great. I keep having songs forum guys tell me that my tone is really good.

If I played live a lot, then it would be a no brainer to go the Axe Fx route. For me, the little that I play live, my real tube rig and a handful of pedals gets me by, for now.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Jimbo21
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 696
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/16 10:47:05 (permalink)
Another thumbs up for the S-Gear '57 model. Very nice to play through. Though S-Gear is my favorite amp sim right now. I've never tried Amplitube's fender sims. Maybe I need to demo them.

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/16 15:27:04 (permalink)
I've always had mixed feelings about AT - though the Hi Z button on the Mackie board recently made a world of difference in its favour.

One thing I've always found though is that, of all the amp sims I own, AT is the most "lively".  At times, other amp sims may nail certain amp sounds a little better and impulses can be more pleasant (the fact that they typically produce much more low end than the AT cab sim probably contributes to that impression) but in the end, they always sound a bit static by comparison. To me.

I can't speak for Axe FX or Kemper, my observation is based on what I own - POD, POD HD and practically every software amp sim available on my platform.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
smallstonefan
Re: A couple observations about real vs emulated amplifiers 2014/08/27 19:24:15 (permalink)
I did an initial write-up of my Axe FX II XL experience here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/My-initial-thoughts-on-the-Fractal-Axe-FX-II-m3082300.aspx#3082959

In short, LOVING IT! :)
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1