*AMAZING* WaveRT in Vista X32 CREAMS both ASIO and WDM in Win XP X32 !!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
Psychobillybob
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/29 23:07:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

ORIGINAL: Psychobillybob

Maybe you guys can scrape together some change and buy some RAM then you could run Vista like the Pro's do.

1/2 a gig difference???? When you could run 4-8 gigs in Vista? Overall ram difference in Vista could be 5500 megs+

2 gigs of 800 DDR2 is less that $100.00 we spend more than that in webhosting.

i think you missed the point there smart guy

at least until 64 bit and audio is a reality and i can stuff 8-32g ram in there and actually use it

i have 8 gig in my Vista 64 box that does not mean anything can actually use it. (Pro Audio software) with the exception of VSL.
would all owners of VSL please give me a show of hands......
yeah thats what i thought @ $10k a copy it wont be many in this forum, maybe Northern Sounds.

i have 16Gig in my demo Xeon NLE/animation system. i actually do have a few programs that can access it.

So let me see if I've got this straight:

You won't use Vista because it uses more RAM than you want it to, but you can't actually find a use for 8 gigs of RAM with the exception of VSL and some animation proggys?

"i have 8 gig in my Vista 64 box that does not mean anything can actually use it. (Pro Audio software) "...

Sonar is 64bit by the way, and again it is a "Pro Audio Software" application...maybe you've heard of it.

Again your definition of "Pro" seems quite insulting.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/29 23:39:00 (permalink)

You won't use Vista because it uses more RAM than you want it to, but you can't actually find a use for 8 gigs of RAM with the exception of VSL and some animation proggys?

"i have 8 gig in my Vista 64 box that does not mean anything can actually use it. (Pro Audio software) "...

Sonar is 64bit by the way, and again it is a "Pro Audio Software" application...maybe you've heard of it.

You know, I don't normally "carry other people's water" but Scott is a valued contributor to this forum who MAKES AND SELLS DAWS AND ASSOCIATED HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR A LIVING. He gets to test *EVERYTHING*. Do you have the same qualifications? His points are valid:

1. 32 bit OS's are limited to 4GB(Vista or XP). This seems to be something you are not "getting"(maybe I am misunderstanding you)
2. Using a 64 bit OS in a DAW severely limits your choices of plugins, soundcards, etc because there isn't much ported to it yet. "Complete"(ie: OS and SONAR) 64 bit computing is essentially pointless for a DAW unless you fit yourself into some pretty tight contraints and pick a soundcard that has working 64bit drivers. Couple this with the fact that the 64bit engine can be used in the 32bit realm makes going to "Complete" 64bit computing pointless in almost every case.
3. Vista(64 or 32 bit) has been shown to have poorer performance in low latency situations(until recently evidently) but still consumes a lot more resources and has higher system latency than XP.

Do what you want...but his points don't come from a position of arrogance...they come from a position of *experience*. I'll take Scott and Jim's word over just about anyone in this forum anyday.

post edited by AndyW - 2008/01/29 23:56:10

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Modulation
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 492
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/29 23:50:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyW

I'll take Scott and Jim's word over just about anyone in this forum anyday.

It's a mistake to take ANYBODY blindly at their word. They may be very knowledgeable and experienced, but obviously (though they may disagree ) they don't know everything. Nobody does. Knowledge is a never ending journey. And to put down people that have been using Vista professionally in the insulting way they do/have proves that they don't know everything. Do you agree with the insulting and condescending attitude too?
AndyW
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:00:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Modulation

I'll take Scott and Jim's word over just about anyone in this forum anyday.

It's a mistake to take ANYBODY blindly at their word.

I never said "blindly"...but if I had to chose blindly, yes, I have enough experience with Jim and Scott to say "Yes", I would trust them blindly compared to others if it came to that. But they have always backed up their assertions with facts and testings so it's never been a matter of "blind" belief.

They may be very knowledgeable and experienced, but obviously (though they may disagree ) they don't know everything. Nobody does. Knowledge is a never ending journey. And to put down people that have been using Vista professionally in the insulting way they do/have proves that they don't know everything. Do you agree with the insulting and condescending attitude too?

I really don't think that they have an insulting and condescending attitude.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Psychobillybob
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:04:10 (permalink)

You know, I don't normally "carry other people's water" but Scott is a valued contributor to this forum who MAKES AND SELLS DAWS AND ASSOCIATED HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR A LIVING. He gets to test *EVERYTHING*. Do you have the same qualifications? His points are valid:

1. 32 bit OS's are limited to 4GB(Vista or XP). This seems to be something you are not "getting"(maybe I am misunderstanding you)
2. Using a 64 bit OS in a DAW severely limits your choices of plugins, soundcards, etc because there isn't much ported to it yet. "Complete"(ie: OS and SONAR) 64 bit computing is essentially pointless for a DAW unless you fit yourself into some pretty tight contraints and pick a soundcard that has working 64bit drivers. Couple this with the fact that the 64bit engine can be used in the 32bit realm makes going to "Complete" 64bit computing pointless in almost every case.
3. Vista(64 or 32 bit) has been shown to have poorer performance in low latency situations(until recently evidently) but still consumes a lot more resources and has higher system latency than XP.

Do what you want...but his points don't come from a position of arrogance...they come from a position of *experience*. I'll take Scott and Jim's word over just about anyone in this forum anyday.

Thats fine follow them all you want.

My original response to scott was his suggestion that "pro's" dont use Vista.

Then he makes another statement about no "pro audio" software...

I don't care if he makes gold bricks for a living and gives them away, both comments about "pro" come from someone who apparently spends more time selling stuff than he does recording for labels.

I have watched both Jim and Scott make negative comments about Vista, Jim apparently is re-investigating Vista's current condition.

Frankly I don't give that much attention to "experts" since I have had more success on my own than an entire teams of techs from, WAVES, iLok, Tascam, and Microsoft, especially if those are "soft" rather than "hard" opinions.

In this case I find Scott should probably have followed his own advice and stayed out of the thread.

And for the record I have been on Cakewalk since 9 and have built all my DAWs since 1999, and have beta tested for Microsoft since NT4 so I'm not a newbie when it comes to making software and hardware play nice in a recording studio, I know exactly what Scott meant and I also know what he said.

I have no idea what you mean by "tight constraints" as far as sound cards go, there are quite a few quality vendors out there, and having settled on Lynx in a PRO environment I have found there are no real reasons not to use 64bit Vista on 64 bit Sonar or even 32 bit sonar in 64Vista.

So far the bands and the labels we are connected to love what we do in Vista and Sonar, but my hope is someday to be "pro" and sell daws instead of record if you get my drift.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
Modulation
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:09:56 (permalink)

You don't? I guess we see what we want to see.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people that hold more weight with me too. Noel for instance. Craig Anderton. I trust them. But even if they recommended something whole heartedly, I wouldn't automatically do what they said just because they said it. I would try it out and see if it worked for me. Or I may go a whole other direction. It all depends on my SPECIFIC needs. If I blindly followed the experts recomdentations, I'd be on a Mac using Pro tools and logic.

I'm sure the guys you mentioned won't really lead you wrong with their recommendations. But they are wrong and have been wrong in their assertion that Vista can't be used professionally. If you can't see that, then you are following blindly.
AndyW
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:17:53 (permalink)

Thats fine follow them all you want.

My original response to scott was his suggestion that "pro's" dont use Vista.

I can see that...it all depends on your definition of "Pro" I suppose. This issue isn't "Can Vista be used in a specific set of circumstances with certain use cases that are successful in a pro studio?". It is "Is Vista the most hassle-free, highest-performance, most-compatible choice for a pro studio?" I believe the "Pro" opts for looking at question 2 as the correct question to ask.

I have watched both Jim and Scott make negative comments about Vista, Jim apparently is re-investigating Vista's current condition.

I have seen a LOT of people say negative things about Vista.

And for the record I have been on Cakewalk since 9 and have built all my DAWs since 1999, and have beta tested for Microsoft since NT4 so I'm not a newbie when it comes to making software and hardware play nice in a recording studio, I know exactly what Scott meant and I also know what he said.

I've been here since CWPA 7 but who needs to quibble...

I have no idea what you mean by "tight constraints" as far as sound cards go, there are quite a few quality vendors out there, and having settled on Lynx in a PRO environment I have found there are no real reasons not to use 64bit Vista on 64 bit Sonar or even 32 bit sonar in 64Vista.

A simple listing of the list of equipment with 64 bit drivers vs 32 bit drivers would illustrate. So would a list of vst's and other plugs that don't work(or don't work well) in the 64bit environment. 64bit Vista is definitely not the most compatible environment.

So far the bands and the labels we are connected to love what we do in Vista and Sonar, but my hope is someday to be "pro" and sell daws instead of record if you get my drift.

I think you are chosing to take offense vice any offense actually occuring...just my perspective. The data supports that your pro studio would have higher performance if you were on XP...it is as simple as that.
post edited by AndyW - 2008/01/30 00:42:42

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
AndyW
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:26:45 (permalink)

You don't? I guess we see what we want to see.

I guess.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people that hold more weight with me too. Noel for instance.

Not to be too snarky...but Noel agreed with Jim...

Craig Anderton. I trust them. But even if they recommended something whole heartedly, I wouldn't automatically do what they said just because they said it.

Agreed. But the data supports their position.

I would try it out and see if it worked for me. Or I may go a whole other direction. It all depends on my SPECIFIC needs. If I blindly followed the experts recomdentations, I'd be on a Mac using Pro tools and logic.

Point taken. But this isn't about *specifics*...in specific cases an old 386 running DOS 6 may be able to do something that my quad core on XP can do...doesn't mean we should recommend DOS 6...

I'm sure the guys you mentioned won't really lead you wrong with their recommendations. But they are wrong and have been wrong in their assertion that Vista can't be used professionally. If you can't see that, then you are following blindly.

I go with the data. Assuming the system latency and low-latency performance were the same(which the data says they are not), Vista consumes 3 times the overhead that XP does. What part of that overhead benefits the DAW user? This reminds me of back when VIA chipsets were causing all kinds of problems for SONAR users. Jim strongly recommended against VIA chipsets IIRC...problem was, I had already purchased a MB with a VIA chipset and for my use cases...I didn't have any issues....I was lukcy but I certainly didn't challenge the data Jim was posting or the myriad others who had issues with VIA chipsets because my *specific case* was working. Your system is working and you are happy...good for you...I still think for the vast majority, it is better to stay away at this time and stick with XP. Things may change after Vista SP1 but I will wait and see.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Modulation
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:38:06 (permalink)

This reminds me of back when VIA chipsets were causing all kinds of problems for SONAR users. Jim strongly recommended against VIA chipsets IIRC...problem was, I had already purchased a MB with a VIA chipset and for my use cases...I didn't have any issues....I was lukcy but I certainly didn't challenge the data Jim was posting or the myriad others who had issues with VIA chipsets because my *specific case* was working.

enough said.

I'll just add one last thing. Vista's 'overhead' or 'latency' or it's evil domination of the world (note no quotes on that one ) , have nothing to do with being able to produce professional results or being a professional.
Psychobillybob
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:41:00 (permalink)
Andy "not to quibble" but you apparently don't run a studio for a living either.

The data supports that your pro studio would have higher performance if you were on XP...it is as simple as that.

I suppose you need to define "performance", because frankly we are booked up.

I understand exactly what you're saying but your paradigm seems to be focused on cpu performance/latency rather than actually using a DAW in an efficient manner, as does Scotts paradigm.

Let me just say if you have to have 1.5 latency (and many do) then you are spending to much time tweaking and not enough time creating.

Almost ALL MAJOR vendors are making outboard/input monitoring channels on hardware now-a-days.

We track.

Then we track again.

We do this about forty times then we mix.

We never need 1.5 ms latency.

Then we get paid.

Isn't that what its about?

AndyW
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 00:57:51 (permalink)

This reminds me of back when VIA chipsets were causing all kinds of problems for SONAR users. Jim strongly recommended against VIA chipsets IIRC...problem was, I had already purchased a MB with a VIA chipset and for my use cases...I didn't have any issues....I was lukcy but I certainly didn't challenge the data Jim was posting or the myriad others who had issues with VIA chipsets because my *specific case* was working.

enough said.

I'll just add one last thing. Vista's 'overhead' or 'latency' or it's evil domination of the world (note no quotes on that one ) , have nothing to do with being able to produce professional results or being a professional.

I suppose I can agree with that....by most definitions I am not a "professional" anyway...well...at least for music stuff...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
AndyW
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 01:11:28 (permalink)

Andy "not to quibble" but you apparently don't run a studio for a living either.

No, I don't...but if I did I wouldn't risk running my DAW on Vista when there is no good reason to do so given that a higher performing and more robust OS is out there to run it on.

The data supports that your pro studio would have higher performance if you were on XP...it is as simple as that.

I suppose you need to define "performance", because frankly we are booked up.

Just because the line at McDonalds is long doesn't mean they make high quality food. This isn't meant as an insult...I am sure you produce good stuff, just that your specific case doesn't necessarily fit the majority of cases.

I understand exactly what you're saying but your paradigm seems to be focused on cpu performance/latency rather than actually using a DAW in an efficient manner, as does Scotts paradigm.

Let me just say if you have to have 1.5 latency (and many do) then you are spending to much time tweaking and not enough time creating.

You don't use many soft synths or amp sims do you? Again...in your particular use case, the Vista flaws evidently don't become apparant...but that doesn't change the fact that Vista is a poorer performer than XP over the variety of use cases of the software as validated by testing. The other issues regarding drivers and compatibility problems(which span thh Vista spectrum, not just SONAR) just add to the case against it.

Almost ALL MAJOR vendors are making outboard/input monitoring channels on hardware now-a-days.

So your particular use case means everyone else's idea of how to use the features in SONAR are wrong?

So your particular paradigm of how to use the product is somehow superior to everyone else?

Then we get paid.

Isn't that what its about?

I think it's about the aformentioned creativity...but that's my use case. I still think Jim and Scott are right...for the best performance and least chance of compatibility issues...XP tops Vista...and the data supports it. Since that is the case, why recommend or advocate the poorer performing solution? Again...glad it works for you in your particular use case...but that doesn't invalidate the testing Scott and Jim have done to backup their claims and the myriad of users who have reported problems with Vista.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Tonmann
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 661
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 01:44:32 (permalink)

+1

These guys know what they're talking about!

cheers,
Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 01:48:27 (permalink)

Well... you can pickup your girlfriend/wife for date-night driving a shiney new moped.
It'll get you from point A to point B... but not necessarily with the same style as a new Boss Mustang.

As this hasn't seemed to settle in, I'll repeat it for the 1,001st time:
As an OS for realtime applications, Vista has a fundamental flaw. (High System Latency)
I was NOT wrong about this! I'm still not wrong about it.
It's a well documented fact... that anyone can see/verify.
I was late to discover the recent 'circumvention' of this underlying problem. By a wopping couple of days...
Get real! Vista sucked big time... for *many* months. (Nearly a year)
Noel himself verified that he/MS were able to repro the problem.

Only recently is Vista (now) capable of effective realtime software-based input-monitoring.
This is important to many users (Pros included)
As I had originally suspected, you weren't really pushing the envelope of ultra low latency performance... as you admitted to not using software based input monitoring... and really weren't overly concerned with sub 7ms latency performance. Thus, you were arguing about matters you weren't experiencing... and thus my comments about your posts being BS.

It's been confimed to you (from the highest level) that there was indeed a problem with Vista.
There's really nothing left to say.
If it makes you feel special to revel in the fact that I was 3 days late to discover v7.02's improved performance under Vista... well... have fun saying I was "wrong."
But don't forget about the fact that I was "right" the other 300+ days of 2007.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
OzziesFurHat
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 02:06:00 (permalink)
Sure glad I didn't happen upon this thread while the pissing contest

was in full swing, its the shoes, my new shoes ... walks away

carefully

(}    (}    (}  (}    (}    (} 
(} (} (} (} (} (}

OzziesFurHat
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 02:09:14 (permalink)

I understand your point...
That you (and your studio) don't need to run at 1.5ms latency.
But... what if your clients wanted to track in realtime thru Ampeg SVX, Amplitube 2, etc?
There are folks who want to do this... as well as play/monitor in realtime thru other soft-EFX.
Live software-based input monitoring requires low round-trip latency. For these folks, running at a 1.5ms latency setting results in 5ms round-trip latency under the best of conditions. That's actually pretty comfortable...
This has been possible under WinXP for a good long while. (Many of my clients expect to have this capability. And most certainly want it as an option...)
Until very recently, this wasn't possible under Vista... while running any substantial load. (Due to the reason I've repeated ad nauseaum)

When expressed in the terms you've laid out, I completely understand why Vista has worked so well for you.
You've been circumventing its limitations... by using hardware.
A sound/logical solution...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Modulation
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 02:20:03 (permalink)
Man, you really are not getting it are you? Everything I've ever defended in Vista or what you are in deed WRONG about has NOTHING to do with latency or any of the things you are clinging to. My point (AGGGGGGAIN) is that it simply does not matter as much as you make it out to. AGAIN, if you use a hardware mixer (most pro's and pro studio's do). AGAIN, if you have a high quality sound card with direct monitoring (I can't imagine a pro that does not).

You and the others like you are WRONG in stating that Vista can't be used professionally or by professional. A pro could use windows 98 and 400 mhz cpu. That is what I've been saying. And this is where you and the others have been wrong, wrong, wrong. And insulting to boot. And for the record (as I've said many, many times), I do record live vocals and instruments directly into my DAW and also monitor with fx (through my DAW). In real time. At low latency. I just said I don't do Hans Zimmer 100 tracks at once. I also play soft synths and e-drums triggering samples. Low latency IS very important to me. I've been doing that since win 98 and now with Vista for the last few months. And latency has not been an issue for me AT ALL (and believe me, I would notice).

My only contention with you guys is that you keep/kept claiming that Vista could not be used by pro's. This assertion is completely FALSE and WRONG. And the way you and the others have gone about it has been insulting and condescending.

You have proven, to me at least, that your level of expertise is questionable. I could build a DAW that is just as good as anything you could. Am I an expert now too? All I have to do is buy the same off the shelf parts that you use. It's not rocket science. It's kind of like legos. And installing the drivers and software and tweaking a DAW is no major mystery either.
And before you tell me of the thousands you have built...building a computer is so easy. If you've done it a few times, you are an expert too. I mean how many times do you need to plug in a microphone to be be a expert at it?

Now, with all that out, have a great night and keep doing whatever you do.

I really have nothing further to say on this subject.

BTW- Girls go out with me because of ME. Not my car. And my DAW is no moped. If anything, your analogy is also flawed. Vista would be the beautiful, comfy Cadillac. XP would be the more economical Toyota.
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 02:41:38 (permalink)
P-L-O-N-K

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 03:03:50 (permalink)
All you guys need to watch this.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&PostID=145665#145665&d=0

Im not sure how Vista can have high system latency when it uses less components in the audio stack.
I think Vista is just made to perform better with Wave RT drivers than WDM or ASIO.
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 03:10:44 (permalink)
Im not sure how Vista can have high system latency when it uses less components in the audio stack.
I think Vista is just made to perform better with Wave RT drivers than WDM or ASIO.

Hi ST,

System latency with audio latency are two different things.
Here's a link to read a bit about system latency... and a tool to measure it:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 03:15:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

Hi ST,

System latency with audio latency are two different things.
Here's a link to read a bit about system latency... and a tool to measure it:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Hi Jim,

So do we really have to worry about system latency if audio latency performs well?
and what is system latency exactly?
post edited by soundtweaker - 2008/01/30 03:31:38
Tonmann
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 661
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 03:30:41 (permalink)
I'm not Jim, but I'd like to answer anyway:
Because a bad system latency prevents one from being able to run small audio latencies.
The smaller the audio-latency is, the smaller are the buffers. And the smaller a buffer is, the more often (faster) it needs to be "filled" again by the system.
Now if the system cylcles too slow, the DAW will not be able to fill these buffers within the needed time interval.
That's the point. And that's why tools like DPC checker makes sense.

cheers,
Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 03:52:31 (permalink)
Hi Jim,

So do we really have to worry about system latency if audio latency performs well?
and what is system latency exactly?

My point is this...
High system latency is a negative in regards to any realtime application. It makes the system more prone to drop-outs/glitches/etc. (for the reason Chris mentioned above)
MMCSS is a means by which Vista circumvents the problem of higher system latency.
Until v7.02, there was a problem with ultra low latency performance under Vista.
I suspect this is related to MMCSS
Now that you can successfully circumvent the underlying problem (new developement as of 7.02), it's certainly much less of a factor.
However, what happens if you want to run an app that doesn't use MMCSS?
If Vista had the same (low) system latency as WinXP, this would all be a moot point. All low-latency problems would be gone...
You wouldn't need MMCSS (WinXP runs great without it).
Doesn't it make more sense to solve the problem at the source... than to provide workaround (band-aid) type solutions?

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2008/01/30 04:10:24

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
TomG
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 04:08:54 (permalink)
Wow ..... as the original poster here .... well ..... never expected such "heat".

I'm not going to add fuel to the fire, but below I've added a couple of updates to further make the point of my first post - and to agree with "soundtweaker" when he writes "....I think Vista is just made to perform better with Wave RT drivers than WDM or ASIO.... "

Point 1

Jim R. is completly right about Vista's system latency - as proven with the DPC Latecny Checker its terrible - its at least 10 to 20 times higher in Vista than XP.

Point 2

I re-ran AGAIN the tests from my first Post and this time have added the XP WDM results - they are:-

A Echo Vista Native WDM Driver ONLY - no over-lay
- CPU Use bounces between %25 <-> %29 - absolute low is %20 - absolute high is %32

B Echo Vista Native WDM Driver Over-Layed with ASIO4ALL "ASIO" Driver
- CPU Use bounces between %24 <-> %29 - absolute low is %20 - absolute high is %32

C Echo Vista Native Optimised ASIO Driver - no over-lay
- CPU Use bounces between %24 <-> %29 - absolute low is %20 - absolute high is %32

D Echo WDM Driver and Echo ASIO Driver both tested in Win XP Pro X32 - no over-lays
- CPU Use bounces between %25 <-> %29 - absolute low is %20 - absolute high is %32

E Echo Vista Native WDM Driver Over-Layed with ASIO4ALL WaveRT Implementation
- CPU Use bounces between %19 <-> %26 - absolute low is %16 - absolute high is %27

You can see from the above that the 2.8 ASIO4ALL Driver does NOT introduce any additional latency - if it did, why are the results for the WDM over-layed with the ASIO part of the ASIO4ALL driver [Result B ] not lower ?

The only result that is any different or lower is Result E - are people actually saying / thinking that the 2.8 ASIO4ALL Driver only introduces latency when running in WaveRT over-lay mode ? I really doubt - I get the feeling the ASIO4ALL developer is a lot more thorough than that.

Again, as soundtweaker put it, clearly, I think Vista is just made to perform better with Wave RT drivers than WDM or ASIO regardless of its terrible / crap DPC system latency.

Point 3

If you want to improve your Vista Performance significanlty - ie: reduced RAM footprint from bootup and overall system responsivenes, dont just disable UAC - you have to get rid of it totally - to do this, do all follows:

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\luafv reg_dword “start”

The default value for reg_dword “start” is 2 - setting it to 4 disables it completely

Also, disable Superfetch and ReadyBoost.

Its amazing how much snappier Vista is with these 3 simple changes.

Peace to all.

TomG
post edited by TomG - 2008/01/30 05:01:03
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 04:09:33 (permalink)
BTW- Girls go out with me because of ME.

Glad to hear it, and I would hope so!

So if I've got this straight, you're RIGHT and Jim is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, correct?

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Modulation
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 04:43:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Susan G

BTW- Girls go out with me because of ME.

Glad to hear it, and I would hope so!

So if I've got this straight, you're RIGHT and Jim is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, correct?

-Susan

Hi Susan. Are you trying to get into it with me too?

Are you reading what is written or just defending your friend?

He, and the rest of those that think like he does, is WRONG in stating (or having stated) that Vista can't be used professionally or by professionals.

It's absurd to claim this. And the fact that they've repeatedly made this claim (that Vista can't be used in a pro environment or by pros ) is false and wrong. Absurdly and obviously so. The fact that they have maintained this position and are/have been insulting and condescending about it brings into question, to me at least, their level of expertise. Now everything else...it's debatable and a matter of how an individual works wheter or not it really matters in the real world. That's all I've ever said. Ok?

edit--------BTW, Why on earth would Cakewalk demo their software to top pros on Vista machines if it was not pro enough? Are Cakewalk not pro enough too? Do you see why their expertise is marred by their continued assertion that Vista can't be used by pros?

Ok. I think I've said all there is to say. It's all there for anyone to read and see for themselves. Not that I mind explaining things and helping out (and learning too). But I'm getting bored with this and don't really even care. I'm about using these tools to make music. That's it. You all can do whatever you want.
post edited by Modulation - 2008/01/30 05:05:35
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 05:40:51 (permalink)
My resume/reputation speaks for itself.
The day you've built not 10 or 20 DAWs... but rather far into 4 figures... and you've maintained a sterling reputation for 14+ years in the business...
then you come challange my level of knowledge/expertise.
Until then, you're simply some unknown "pro" who doesn't want to hear that his new toy isn't the best choice for the job.

As I said before...
P-L-O-N-K

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 05:53:34 (permalink)
Hi Sandro-
Hi Susan. Are you trying to get into it with me too?

I'm not trying to "get into it" with anyone. You keep saying Jim is "WRONG, WRONG, WRONG", and you're "RIGHT". Jim isn't my "friend", but I do respect his opinions, he built a great DAW for me, and for you to call him flat out "WRONG" isn't right.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Jim Roseberry
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 06:39:24 (permalink)
You can see from the above that the 2.8 ASIO4ALL Driver does NOT introduce any additional latency - if it did, why are the results for the WDM over-layed with the ASIO part of the ASIO4ALL driver [Result B ] not lower ?

The only result that is any different or lower is Result E - are people actually saying / thinking that the 2.8 ASIO4ALL Driver only introduces latency when running in WaveRT over-lay mode ? I really doubt - I get the feeling the ASIO4ALL developer is a lot more thorough than that.

Hi Tom...

Email me if you need the CEntrance round-trip latency measurement tool.
Makes it quick/easy to measure the round-trip latency.

The standard ASIO-4-ALL driver does add latency
The CEntrance tool shows roundtrip latency of:
ASIO-4-ALL - RTL= 9.68ms (64-sample buffer/44.1k)
Stock MOTU ASIO - RTL = 5.51ms (64-sample buffer/44.1k)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Fred Holmes
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: *AMAZING* WaveRT results in Vista X32 with Sonar 7 2008/01/30 07:21:11 (permalink)
Oops - Sorry, thought this was a thread about aiso4all
Fred
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1