LockedASIO Direct Monitoring

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
carlosagm79
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 02:22:38 (permalink)
People ASIO direct Monitoring its a part of the ASIO 2.0 protocol, like the ASIO positioning  timecode sync...

READ THE ARTICLE:

http://support.creative.c...Article.aspx?sid=84426

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 03:00:11 (permalink)
koolbass

The monitored signal does bypass the A/D/A converters. That's the whole point.

Most interfaces provide direct monitoring, either by software-firmware switching transistors or by a hardware button making a direct hard-wire connection between the inputs to the outputs (possibly also operating through transistor switching). Either way, it's a direct analog path from input to output with a parallel path to the A/D converters so the host can record it.

The purpose of ADM is to allow you to do that switching from the host. The standard also allows for passing pan and level settings from the host to the interface so the direct-monitored mix will match the playback mix (less any plugin FX of course).

Most interfaces provide direct monitoring, either by software-firmware switching transistors or by a hardware button making a direct hard-wire connection between the inputs to the outputs (possibly also operating through transistor switching). Either way, it's a direct analog path from input to output with a parallel path to the A/D converters so the host can record it. The purpose of ADM is to allow you to do that switching from the host. The standard also allows for passing pan and level settings from the host to the interface so the direct-monitored mix will match the playback mix (less any plugin FX of course).

What you're describing is NOT ASIO DIRECT MONITORING but just "mor-me" monitoring of the analog audio signal.  RME uses, what they call, TRUE ASIO DIRECT MONITORING with what they call "TotalMix" and MOTU has something similar called "Cue Mix".  It actually takes the signal, ONLY if you're using ASIO mode, and converts the audio signal to digital.  At that point it copies the digital information, and sends the exact same info TWO different places.  Packet one goes to the DAW and packet two, which is identical, goes to the digital to analog OUT converters.  BUT, with RME, you have the ability to mix and blend ALL of your audio in and outs any way you want.  So, in the case of my particular interface, you can have 5 different musicians with 5 different stereo mixes, hearing oneself and the other musicians, and all have ZERO latency monitoring, mixed along with whatever they want being sent from the DAW, be it a click or pre-recorded material.  When you're also monitoring pre-recorded material, you can use the 4 different sends along with the master out to have five DIFFERENT mixes/levels for each musician of the pre-recorded music along with the live music.

What I've just described is not simple to set up, but RME and Sonar both allowing the saving of templates, so, after certain set-ups, it's easy to save and recall.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I suggest going to the RME site and look up Asio Direct monitoring.  Once you actually understand and use it, it's not so complicated.  And one could NEVER have true zero latency monitoring from a DAW, because you have the time it takes to travel to interface, convert from analog to digital, travel time to cpu, numbers crunching, sending back to interface, converted from digital to analog, and then sent through to speakers.  True Asio Direct Monitoring is into interface, convert analog to digital, software mix within interface hardware and immediately back out through the digital to analog converters.

I'm more inclined to believe the explanation of brundlefly than yours, because every sound-chip, like emuk1 or ac97 have an analog mixer section, without the need to pass trough the AD/DA section, its based on  IBM mixer schematics or something like that, there is an analog codec, and a digital controller , so, if what we want its to monitor the analog input(so it can pass directly to the analog output) there is no need for a AD/DA conversion.
koolbass
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 03:21:14 (permalink)

I'm more inclined to believe the explanation of brundlefly than yours, because every sound-chip, like emuk1 or ac97 have an analog mixer section, without the need to pass trough the AD/DA section, its based on IBM mixer schematics or something like that, there is an analog codec, and a digital controller , so, if what we want its to monitor the analog input(so it can pass directly to the analog output) there is no need for a AD/DA conversion.

Whatever ... I guess the guys at RME are just a bunch of liars...but their "lie" sure works great for doing no latency monitoring with a full band if you use ASIO (doesn't work with WDM).

(People have allowed "analog" to pass through to monitor long before there were computers ... which is what you're describing.)

I'm "guessing" there are companies that use "Asio Direct Monitoring" as a marketing "buzz" word to sell their products which may also explain why Noel said there is not a "defined" standard. 

Page 50, paragraph 7 of the "RME HDSP System Multiface II" manual says, "Mixing of the input signal to the playback signal (complete ASIO Direct Monitoring).  RME not only is the pioneer of ADM, but also offers the most complete implementation of the ADM functions."

I've been using this interface since 2007.  It has been refined and improved some since then, but ADM is not a new thing at my house.
post edited by koolbass - 2011/02/21 03:26:03

Cheers,
Lance "koolbass" Martin

Sonar Platinum, Sound Forge Pro 12, ADK built audio computer: Intel 8 core i7 Haswell-E overclocked 4.2GHz; 32 Gig DDR4/2666 ram; Corsair 850W power; Windows Pro 10 x64; Geforce GTX 980 video w/4 monitors (Acer 27" touch screen/primary); 3 Seagate drives - OS, audio, samples, 2 TB external USB3 bkup drive; RME MADIface XT; Ferrofish A16 MKII ADDA; Lucid GenX 6-96 clock

www.BoogieHouseMusic.com
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 03:48:16 (permalink)
RME are not layers, and what they are saying its correct, its just you that misinterpreted their words...
Of course if you active the input analog signal (lets say your vocals)and already you are playing some audio from your DAW, you are summing or mixing the playback signal with the input signal(analog input + DA output), not a big deal...
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 08:20:54 (permalink)
i understand perfectly what ADM is.  and thanks to koolbass, i also know that my profire 2626 has its own version of cue mix.  i am able to do everything described.

concerning you original post:  no, sonar cannot be used to control this monitoring system.

it would be sweet if it could because then i coould use my mackie control instead of my mouse.

if u r still thinking that asio dm allows for monitoring of soft synths, then it is u who do not understand.

also, when someone says something that is wrong in a forum, it helps no one to tell them they are wrong and not explain WHY.

koolbass did a great job of clearing things up.  i run my setup just as he describes but i can onlyy have 4 seperate headphone mixes and one of those has to be the same as my control room mix.

i use a lexicon reverb unit via spdif to provide some verb for the monitor source, does this indicate that the profire is digitally converting the monitored signal and sending two packets?  im just wondering now wether the profire does this digitally or just with analog switching.....  never thought about it b4
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 10:29:02 (permalink)

I'm more inclined to believe the explanation of brundlefly than yours, because every sound-chip, like emuk1 or ac97 have an analog mixer section, without the need to pass trough the AD/DA section, its based on IBM mixer schematics or something like that, there is an analog codec, and a digital controller , so, if what we want its to monitor the analog input(so it can pass directly to the analog output) there is no need for a AD/DA conversion.

Carl, it appears I have led you astray, just as the ASIO "Direct Monitoring" literature led me astray with phrases like "True Direct Monitoring" and "Zero-latency". I just did an emipirical test of my E-MU 1820m, and it's clear that the monitored signal passes through the A/D/A converters, because there is a delay in the monitored signal of about 2ms, which is typical for a round of A/D/A.

So it's not direct, and it's not zero-latency. At best it might be called "less-indirect monitoring", and "lower-latency" (about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you can get making the full round-trip through the host with 1-2ms buffers).

Koolbass, sorry for making you struggle to explain it, and thanks for inspiring me to look deeper. None of the references I found, including my own PatchMix manual make it really clear that the monitoring is after the converters. I could have guessed that since for some of the features to work without it would require having a pile of analog mixing circuits in the interface. The 1820m dock is big enough that I could imagine those circuits being there, but I should have known the "direct" monitoring goes through the converters, because the 1820m also has hardware DSP that necessitates that.

So, I was wrong, but anyone calling this "direct" or "zero-latency" monitoring is fibbing slightly.

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 10:51:41 (permalink)

fibbing slightly
brundlefly

Carl, it appears I have led you astray

No I'm not astray, because I don't give a sh... the method that the hardware manufacturer of the audio interface uses for give mi ADM, passing trough the converters or not,I just don't care

So, I was wrong, but anyone calling this "direct" or "zero-latency" monitoring is fibbing slightly.

And NO, nobody its  fibbing slightly, is the normal ms latency found in any analog or digital gear(like keyboard synths, samplers,audio devices, recordings,etc) in the world, and its undetectable by the human ear, period...

post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/21 10:53:35
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 10:53:27 (permalink)
Yes, unless your soundcard has an analog mixer built in, then ALL sound has to pass through AD/DA converters. 

As far as I'm aware that's pretty much all soundcards, because soundcards employ digital mixing.   If you don't want to go through converters, then get a little small analog mixer to go with it.

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:02:32 (permalink)
BlixYZ

if u r still thinking that asio dm allows for monitoring of soft synths, then it is u who do not understand.

I never said or thinking that!!!, thats why I'm telling you thats some of your topics are not related to my post...

i use a lexicon reverb unit via spdif to provide some verb for the monitor source, does this indicate that the profire is digitally converting the monitored signal and sending two packets?  im just wondering now wether the profire does this digitally or just with analog switching.....  never thought about it b4

If you use audio plugins like VST in your monitoring path definitely thats is not ADM standard, maybe another monitoring system or the common Sonar way of monitoring whit good drivers/strong computer.ASIO 2.0 says that in ADM the audio path never goes into the ASIO host(no into the plug-ins of course)
So the only way of monitoring with effects in ADM its having an interface with DSP.

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:10:42 (permalink)
brundlefly

just did an emipirical test of my E-MU 1820m, and it's clear that the monitored signal passes through the A/D/A converters, because there is a delay in the monitored signal of about 2ms, which is typical for a round of A/D/A.

This post its about ADM, and not about the method that  particular manufacturer employs to achieve monitoring outside the ASIO host, neither the effective latency that their audio device may give, because each manufacturer can be a different world, as you can see, the  E-MUs interfaces does have DSP, so obviously passes trough the converters like any other digital effects processor.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:15:48 (permalink)
And NO, nobody its fibbing slightly, is the normal ms latency found in any analog or digital gear(like keyboard synths, samplers,audio devices, recordings,etc) in the world, and its undetectable by the human ear, period...

Yes, it's "normal" for DSP-based audio hardware to add the latency of A/D/A conversion, and latencies on the order of 2ms are virtually undetectable, but the fact remains, 2ms  is not "zero-latency", and analog mixers do not exhibit this delay.

I understand that you just want SONAR to support ADM, but if you have an interface that will run well with buffers of 64 samples or less, it really should not be an issue, as 4-5ms is about as equally transparent as 2.
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:19:52 (permalink)
Kroneborge

Yes, unless your soundcard has an analog mixer built in, then ALL sound has to pass through AD/DA converters. 

As far as I'm aware that's pretty much all soundcards, because soundcards employ digital mixing.   If you don't want to go through converters, then get a little small analog mixer to go with it.

And yeah, most sound-card have analog mixers built in int, then not ALL the sound have to pass trough the converters , at certain point an be switched to the analog output, and if you are not aware of that, or have any doubt, just see this:

http://www.analog.com/sta...data_sheets/AD1888.pdf

SEE THE DIAGRAM AND LATER FOUND THIS SECTION (PAG 3)

ANALOG MIXER—INPUT GAIN/AMPLIFIERS/ATTENUATORS
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
CD to LINE_OUT
dB
LINE, AUX, or PHONE to LINE_OUT1
dB
MIC1 or MIC2 (Note: MIC Gain of 0 dB) to LINE_OUT1
dB
Step Size All Mixer Inputs
dB
Input Gain/Attenuation Range: All Mixer Inputs
dB

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:21:23 (permalink)

Yes, it's "normal" for DSP-based audio hardware to add the latency of A/D/A conversion, and latencies on the order of 2ms are virtually undetectable, but the fact remains, 2ms  is not "zero-latency", and analog mixers do not exhibit this delay.

I understand that you just want SONAR to support ADM, but if you have an interface that will run well with buffers of 64 samples or less, it really should not be an issue, as 4-5ms is about as equally transparent as 2.

This post its about ADM SUPPORT IN SONAR, and not about the method that particular manufacturer employs to achieve monitoring outside the ASIO host, neither the effective latency that their audio device may give.
post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/21 11:28:07
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 11:46:49 (permalink)
Thanks to this thread, I now do understand ASIO DM.
My profire 2626 does it but I cannot control it from Sonar.  The software mixer that comes with the 2626 allows for up to 8 seperate headphone mixes, insertion of outboard analog and digital FX, all without latency.

I didn't mean to highjack the thread, and I admit I knew nothing about ADM before this thread.

Thanks too koolbass, I realize there is a difference between DIRECT monitoring thru an interface, and ASIO DM which does convert the signal to digital without running it thru the DAW and the PC's processor (right?)

I would LOVE it if Sonar could access this directly from it's tracks because it would allow (presumably) the use of a control surface as opposed to using the mouse on the profire's software mixer/router. 

I actually like the mixer/router software for the profire  (I have it on it's own monitor), I don't mind it being outside sonar, I just wish that I could control it with my MCU or C4 or SOMETHING.
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 12:09:12 (permalink)
BlixYZ

Thanks too koolbass, I realize there is a difference between DIRECT monitoring thru an interface, and ASIO DM which does convert the signal to digital without running it thru the DAW and the PC's processor (right?)

There must be no a difference between your interface DIRECT monitoring, and the monitoring that ADM can give you, because the protocol, from inside... lets say Nuendo, it's just telling the interface that start its own monitoring system from outside the ASIO host, for God sake its so hard to understand?!
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 13:43:12 (permalink)
carlosagm79

BlixYZ

There must be no a difference between your interface DIRECT monitoring, and the monitoring that ADM can give you, because the protocol, from inside... lets say Nuendo, it's just telling the interface that start its own monitoring system from outside the ASIO host, for God sake its so hard to understand?!

Gee, as this thread continues, your fonts get bigger and bigger.  Calm down -- it's a discussion not a life threatening situation LOL.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
pinguinotuerto
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 976
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 14:02:44 (permalink)
Wow, this thread sure has degenerated into a pissing contest!

HP DV7-3085 Laptop (Intel Core i7 720 1.6 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, 1333 MHZ FSB, 2 500GB 7200 RPM Internal HDs, 17" screen), HP 2009m Monitor, 2TB Ext Drive
Line 6 UX8 with PodFarm 2 Platinum

2 Joe Meek VC6Q British Channels
Sonar Platinum & X3e Producer (64 Bit)

AD2 w Roland V-Drums (TD4KX2)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

KRK VXT 8 Monitors
Frontier Alphatrack, Razer Naga Mouse, nanoKontrol2

pinguinotuerto
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 14:15:55 (permalink)
Did anyone bother to read my first post #9 where this is all explained very clearly by Line 6?

Line 6 calls it Tone Direct Monitoring, but it's essentially the same thing!

And yes, the signal has to go through the A/D converters, it just doesn't go through the DAW. It is routed from the interface's processing program/ mixer/ whatever the heck you want to call it, to your outputs. That is why there's less latency although not really 0 (Zero, Cero). It's latency that's so low that it is imperceptible to the human ear.

HP DV7-3085 Laptop (Intel Core i7 720 1.6 GHZ, 6 GB RAM, 1333 MHZ FSB, 2 500GB 7200 RPM Internal HDs, 17" screen), HP 2009m Monitor, 2TB Ext Drive

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/21 23:34:11 (permalink)
Its fun but ¨zero latency¨, cero, 0, does not even exist in nature, I mean(of course I'm extrapolating) , we can be in the same room, and if you start to talk I will not hear you instantaneously, because sound travels in space (trough the air or whatever) and time.
Zero latency is just a term that intelligent people in the tech/audio word knows what its means, and not a topic to discuss in vain 
pinguinotuerto
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 00:12:43 (permalink)
Carlos,

That has been discussed ad nauseam.  What's your point?

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

ba_midi
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 00:20:02 (permalink)
pinguinotuerto

Carlos,

You realize it might take 2ms for someone to get that

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

pinguinotuerto
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 00:21:26 (permalink)
ba_midi

pinguinotuerto

Carlos,

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KRK VXT 8 Monitors

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 00:23:10 (permalink)
pinguinotuerto

ba_midi

pinguinotuerto

Carlos,

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I have to laugh...
ba_midi
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 01:05:58 (permalink)
carlosagm79

pinguinotuerto

ba_midi

pinguinotuerto

Carlos,

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I have to laugh...

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 02:18:50 (permalink)
And yes, the signal has to go through the A/D converters, it just doesn't go through the DAW.

Not with the Analog Devices codec that is in the OP posted cut sheet.
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 13:12:53 (permalink)
brundlefly

James, you need to do a little research on ASIO Direct Monitoring. It's a standard tha allows an ASIO host to enable hardware monitoring in an interface that supports it. This bypasses The A/D/A converters and is true, zero-latency direct monitoring. SONAR does not support it. SONAR's CTO, Noel Borthwick has said this is becasue the standard is not well-defined.

I guess that is why no other company but Steinberg have managed to implement ADM... Oh wait! I know of at least 7 companies that are not Steinberg that have implemented ADM... I guess Noel is just too shy to send an email to Steinberg to ask clarification for those 5 parameters he can't figure out... Surely he could contact the techs at Edirol that managed to implement ADM in their interfaces, no?

typedef struct ASIOInputMonitor
{
    long input;        // this input was set to monitor (or off), -1: all
    long output;    // suggested output for monitoring the input (if so)
    long gain;        // suggested gain, ranging 0 - 0x7fffffffL (-inf to +12 dB)
    ASIOBool state;    // ASIOTrue => on, ASIOFalse => off
    long pan;        // suggested pan, 0 => all left, 0x7fffffff => right
} ASIOInputMonitor;

Looks very complicated. I'm wondering which part exactly is not well defined...

Some more stuff from the ASIO SDK:

kAsioSetInputMonitor

Purpose:
Set the direct input monitoring state.

Parameter:
params pointer to ASIOInputMonitor structure.

Returns:
ASE_SUCCESS if request is accepted or otherwise ASE_NotPresent

Note:
If the hardware does not support patching and mixing a straight 1 to 1 routing is suggested. The
driver should ignore all the information of ASIOInputMonitor it cannot deal with, usually
these might be either or all of output, gain, pan.
Output is the base channel of a stereo channel pair, i.e. output is always an even channel
(0,2,4...). If an odd input channel should be monitored and no panning or output routing can be
applied, the driver has to use the next higher output (imply a hard right pan).

UnderTow

ronkenobi
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 13:43:10 (permalink)
i have changed from nuendo to sonar and the first thing i have missed in sonar was the direct monitor button, 
so i search a long time in sonar and cant belive that theres no option in sonar to have direct monitoring without extra soundcart software like cue mix.

but now its not more a probelm for me , i can run sonar with 64 samples buffer and this is like direct monitoring for me..

and if i need zero latency i have to unarm input echo and start cue mix 

but why does nuendo have direct monitoring so easy to use, and sonar not?
this was my first very big problem with sonar the first 2 weeks i used sonar
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 13:50:41 (permalink)
Samplitude
Sequoia 
Reaper
Cubase
Nuendo
Wavelab
FL Studio
Pro Tools
PreSonus Studio One(just prop hardw)

and maybe other applications support ADM

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 14:11:48 (permalink)
carlosagm79

Samplitude
Sequoia 
Reaper
Cubase
Nuendo
Wavelab
FL Studio
Pro Tools
PreSonus Studio One(just prop hardw)

and maybe other applications support ADM
As far as I am aware Studio One, Reaper, Pro Tools and FL Studio do not support ASIO Direct Monitoring. So on the DAW side that leaves us with Steinberg (of course), Magix and Soundscape/SSL that support ADM as far as I am aware. Add to that Line6, RME, Edirol, MOTU, Terratec and Echo and it makes you wonder what part of ADM is so hard to implement...

That said, my interface doesn't support ADM so who cares?

Oh yes, I do because I want Sonar to be a professional DAW and, this is important, the more DAWs that support ADM, the more likely it is that soundcard manufacturers, including mine, will implement ADM on their devices.

UnderTow
ronkenobi
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 14:16:35 (permalink)
ADM is the first thing on my wishlist for sonar since i changed from nuendo
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1