LockedASIO Direct Monitoring

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
carlosagm79
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 14:34:39 (permalink)
UnderTow

carlosagm79

Samplitude
Sequoia 
Reaper
Cubase
Nuendo
Wavelab
FL Studio
Pro Tools
PreSonus Studio One(just prop hardw)

and maybe other applications support ADM
As far as I am aware Studio One, Reaper, Pro Tools and FL Studio do not support ASIO Direct Monitoring. So on the DAW side that leaves us with Steinberg (of course), Magix and Soundscape/SSL that support ADM as far as I am aware. Add to that Line6, RME, Edirol, MOTU, Terratec and Echo and it makes you wonder what part of ADM is so hard to implement...

That said, my interface doesn't support ADM so who cares?

Oh yes, I do because I want Sonar to be a professional DAW and, this is important, the more DAWs that support ADM, the more likely it is that soundcard manufacturers, including mine, will implement ADM on their devices.

UnderTow

Pro Tools, it does have at list with DIGI proprietary hardware(the DIGI 001 have ASIO drivers)
FL Studio obviusly have, see:
http://flstudio.image-lin...ndow_diskrecording.htm
Reaper, well I just tested and its great

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 14:52:27 (permalink)
carlosagm79

Pro Tools, it does have at list with DIGI proprietary hardware(the DIGI 001 have ASIO drivers)
As far as I know none of these are ASIO Direct Monitoring.

That FL page just mentions Direct Monitoring. As far as I can tell this is not controlled by FL. The term Direct Monitoring is quite common in music recording. It doesn't always mean ASIO Direct Monitoring.

If I can trust this discussion on the Cockos forum last week http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74293 (and at least some of the posters seem quite knowledgeable), Reaper doesn't have ASIO Direct Monitoring either unless it has been added in the last week.

As for the Digi 001,, yes it has ASIO (For the 8 first I/O's if I remember correctly) but that doesn't mean it has ASIO Direct Monitoring.

Please correct me if I am wrong (with some references please. I like to check things thoroughly before I state them as fact ).

UnderTow
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 17:07:37 (permalink)
UnderTow

carlosagm79

As far as I know none of these are ASIO Direct Monitoring.

That FL page just mentions Direct Monitoring. As far as I can tell this is not controlled by FL. The term Direct Monitoring is quite common in music recording. It doesn't always mean ASIO Direct Monitoring.

If I can trust this discussion on the Cockos forum last week http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74293 (and at least some of the posters seem quite knowledgeable), Reaper doesn't have ASIO Direct Monitoring either unless it has been added in the last week.

As for the Digi 001,, yes it has ASIO (For the 8 first I/O's if I remember correctly) but that doesn't mean it has ASIO Direct Monitoring.

Please correct me if I am wrong (with some references please. I like to check things thoroughly before I state them as fact ).

UnderTow

For the DIGI your correct, I dont know if was exactly ADM protocol or a another propietary soft/hard way of do the same(but at least woks the ¨zero monitoring¨), Im curious , let me try Reaper again, now I m not sure about FL, yeah I read it again and its not ADM what are they talk about
post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/22 17:47:54
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 18:34:47 (permalink)
I guess Noel is just too shy to send an email to Steinberg to ask clarification for those 5 parameters he can't figure out... Surely he could contact the techs at Edirol that managed to implement ADM in their interfaces, no?

Absolutely - but then that would result with an implementation that is only guaranteed to work for Edirol interfaces, if it was as simple as 5 parameters then we would done have it.  Unfortunately - it's not, device manufacturers each handle it differently and we try our hardest to support as many ASIO devices as possible.  With ADM specifically the devices that do support it offer additional functionality (RME or Lynx's mixers for example) that cannot be accessed via ADM so we found that users rarely used it. 

I'm not saying that ADM isn't cool or doesn't have any uses but that it's implementation is not as clear as one would think. It's not something that we have totally tossed off the table but in the grand scheme of feature requests we receive it is pretty small.

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 19:38:02 (permalink)
I dont know but Steinberg proved over the years that manages to establish standards, and is very useful to control the mixer of a device from the ASIO host anyway.
The sooner Sonar can implement this function (although not perfect or compatible with all hardware) the better...

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 20:08:21 (permalink)
I believe Cakewalk will adopt the ASIO Direct Monitoring standard as soon as there is one. I wouldn't hold my breath for it though happening anytime soon in a competitive market.  
brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 20:54:21 (permalink)
For reference, below is the statement from Noel I was referring to from this post:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1515205

I'll let you in on a secret. In early SONAR 8 we actually implemented DM. ASIO DM is one of the poorest areas of the ASIO specification and very incomplete. We ran into so many vague areas with the ASIO spec and differences in manufacturers implementations that we ultimately ended up scrapping it. Additionally most if not all HW vendors have their own console applications that implement their own custom direct monitoring mapping that is superior than any host based ASIO DM implementation could rival. We decided that we'd let this one go for now.
VigilantSound
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 474
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 22:15:13 (permalink)
Ha.... Some of you guys are confused...

But no matter, point is we all should want ADM so that our lives in the studio may be easy... 

Lets rally every one send a feature request for ADM at 12 midnight on The 23rd...

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

VigilantSound
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 22:25:18 (permalink)
If cake even implemented their own sort of ADM just for the V studios, i would never use another interface again, but it would have to handle fx as well, they could put a dsp card in the V 700 rack and and have reverb and compression and monitoring all handled from within  sonar and controllable from the V studio control surface..

Thats not to big a dream is it?
post edited by VigilantSound - 2011/02/24 03:07:15

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

koolbass
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 22:36:56 (permalink)
VigilantSound

But no matter, point is we all should want ADM so that our lives in the studio may be easy... 

Lets rally every one send a feature request for ADM at 12 midnight on The 23rd...

I'm NOT confused and I already have an excellent implementation of ADM with my RME interface.  Since I use it and understand how works, I can see why it would be almost impossible to access the digital packets BEFORE they hit the Host, and immediately copy and send that copy of the data through to the "digital to analog" converters so a user can monitor the input ... a very difficult thing to do with every different audio interface and their various drivers.

Anyone that really understands what ADM really is should realize the "pressure" should be on the hardware manufacturers, not the Host audio software.

Any software company that "claims" they have ADM, I can wager it doesn't work with every hardware interface.

Cheers,
Lance "koolbass" Martin

Sonar Platinum, Sound Forge Pro 12, ADK built audio computer: Intel 8 core i7 Haswell-E overclocked 4.2GHz; 32 Gig DDR4/2666 ram; Corsair 850W power; Windows Pro 10 x64; Geforce GTX 980 video w/4 monitors (Acer 27" touch screen/primary); 3 Seagate drives - OS, audio, samples, 2 TB external USB3 bkup drive; RME MADIface XT; Ferrofish A16 MKII ADDA; Lucid GenX 6-96 clock

www.BoogieHouseMusic.com
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 22:51:00 (permalink)
VigilantSound

Yeah!, lets star requesting this feature!, haha
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/22 22:58:01 (permalink)
koolbass

VigilantSound

I'm NOT confused and I already have an excellent implementation of ADM with my RME interface.  Since I use it and understand how works, I can see why it would be almost impossible to access the digital packets BEFORE they hit the Host, and immediately copy and send that copy of the data through to the "digital to analog" converters so a user can monitor the input ... a very difficult thing to do with every different audio interface and their various drivers.

Anyone that really understands what ADM really is should realize the "pressure" should be on the hardware manufacturers, not the Host audio software.

Any software company that "claims" they have ADM, I can wager it doesn't work with every hardware interface.

This is not how it works, several time explained in other post and still people confused!
    Each audio interface have it own driver, mixer and method of native hardware/soft monitoring (even cheap ASIO 2.0 compatible soundcards)  
The ASIO host (via the ASIO ADM protocol)just have to tell the interface: use it now!!!
post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/22 23:22:01
koolbass
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 00:08:17 (permalink)
This is not how it works, several time explained in other post and still people confused! Each audio interface have it own driver, mixer and method of native hardware/soft monitoring (even cheap ASIO 2.0 compatible soundcards) The ASIO host (via the ASIO ADM protocol)just have to tell the interface: use it now!!!

Dear Carlo,

I really don't wish to seem adversarial.  In the big scheme of things, what YOU think makes absolutely NO difference to my studio and how it works ... NO CONFUSION HERE! 

ADM is NOT theory in my studio ... I've been using it for over three years!

I'm not one of those kind of people that pushes a button and hopes something works.  I've EXTENSIVELY studied music theory and computer programming in college because I CHOOSE to not only use something, but I also try to understand HOW it works and WHY!  (And I will admit, there is A LOT I don't know ... it took me a while to understand and learn how to use ADM as implemented by RME, but I  DO understand it and use it every day.)

You may wish to buy a jet aircraft so you can get to the grocery store faster because, "Yes, jets are faster than cars!".  But, until the grocery stores build runways, you'll never be able to land and do your shopping via your jet aircraft.  (This is what you're "ADM ranting" is beginning to sound like to me ... lol ... I'm speaking in jest, just in case you're aerophobic.)

TRUE ADM requires accessing the digital audio data immediately after the A<D conversion but BEFORE it reaches the cpu, and, generally speaking, audio hosts "tend" to manipulate audio data AFTER it hits the cpu ... hence you're complaining on the wrong forum.  You need to go to the DIGI or Presonus forums, or whatever hardware you use if it doesn't have ADM.  (Or you could buy an RME or Lynx or MOTU or find some hardware that has successfully implemented ADM in their hardware...and not all ADM implementations are equal.)

If some host claims to have ADM, my guess is they can only guarantee it works on their own hardware ...

Now it's time for me to go and actually do something IN my studio ... which is why you don't see me on this forum more frequently.  This will be my last word on the subject. 

Don't be taken in by slick marketing phrases and "buzz" words. 

If you wish to NOT see a "yellow" world, then take off the yellow sunglasses ...

Respectfully yours,

Lance "koolbass" Martin

VigilantSound
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 00:26:08 (permalink)
RME has direct monitoring, nobody is saying they dont, what we want is to not have to switch to a second mixer window when we alreadyhave one... like on a HD system...

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 00:33:46 (permalink)
koolbass

This is not how it works, several time explained in other post and still people confused! Each audio interface have it own driver, mixer and method of native hardware/soft monitoring (even cheap ASIO 2.0 compatible soundcards) The ASIO host (via the ASIO ADM protocol)just have to tell the interface: use it now!!!

Dear Carlo,

I really don't wish to seem adversarial.  In the big scheme of things, what YOU think makes absolutely NO difference to my studio and how it works ... NO CONFUSION HERE! 

I'm not one of those kind of people that pushes a button and hopes something works.  I've EXTENSIVELY studied music theory and computer programming in college because I CHOOSE to not only use something, but I also try to understand HOW it works and WHY!  (And I will admit, there is A LOT I don't know ... it took me a while to understand and learn how to use ADM as implemented by RME, but I  DO understand it and use it every day.)

You may wish to buy a jet aircraft so you can get to the grocery store faster because, "Yes, jets are faster than cars!".  But, until the grocery stores build runways, you'll never be able to land and do your shopping via your jet aircraft.  (This is what you're "ADM ranting" is beginning to sound like to me ... lol ... I'm speaking in jest, just in case you're aerophobic.)

TRUE ADM requires accessing the digital audio data immediately after the A<D conversion but BEFORE it reaches the cpu, and, generally speaking, audio hosts "tend" to manipulate audio data AFTER it hits the cpu ... hence you're complaining on the wrong forum.  You need to go to the DIGI or Presonus forums, or whatever hardware you use if it doesn't have ADM.  (Or you could buy an RME or Lynx or MOTU or find some hardware that has successfully implemented ADM in their hardware...and not all ADM implementations are equal.)

If some host claims to have ADM, my guess is they can only guarantee it works on their own hardware ...

Now it's time for me to go and actually do something IN my studio ... which is why you don't see me on this forum more frequently.  This will be my last word on the subject. 

If you wish to NOT see a "yellow" world, then take off the yellow sunglasses ...

Respectfully yours,

Lance "koolbass" Martin

Nice, maybe I have to do more research , because I still don't believe AMD its a ¨copy of streams¨or that require to access the digital audio data, besides I'm not interested in the way that direct monitoring(no ADM, they are different things) its implemented in you interface ,ADM its just a set of commands that suggest the hardware interface which input to open and which output to send the input, along with panning and gain,where you are deeply wrong is in the fact that I'm complaining, I'm not , and I'm in the correct forum asking for Sonar to support this ASIO feature, for a future, and for the cards/interfaces that already support it(because its not just about the hardware manufacturer, its also about the ASIO host)

Respectfully yours,

Carlos

post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/23 00:57:14
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 00:45:15 (permalink)
VigilantSound

RME has direct monitoring, nobody is saying they dont, what we want is to not have to switch to a second mixer window when we alreadyhave one... like on a HD system...
Can you see how confused koolbass is?, hes talking and talking about the hardware side and nothing about the ASIO 2.0 protocol and the ASIO host.

rabeach
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 00:56:54 (permalink)
VigilantSound

If cake even implemented their own sort of ADM justfor the V studios, i would never use another interface again, but it would have to handle fx as well, they could put a dsp card in the V 700rack and and have reverband compression and monitoring all handled from within  sonar and controlable from the V studio control surface..

Thats not to big a dream is it?

post edited by rabeach - 2011/02/23 01:07:31
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 01:55:18 (permalink)
The SDK for ASIO 3.5 has just been released.

Here's some info from the RME FF800 manual on ADM

31.1 ASIO Direct Monitoring (Windows only)
Start Samplitude, Sequoia, Cubase or Nuendo and TotalMix. Activate ADM (ASIO Direct Monitoring),
and move a fader in the ASIO host. Now watch the corresponding fader in TotalMix
magically move too. TotalMix reflects all ADM gain and pan changes in real-time. Please note
that faders only move when the currently activated routing (currently visible routing) corresponds
to the one in the ASIO host.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
UnderTow
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 02:41:57 (permalink)
Willy Jones [Cakewalk
]

I guess Noel is just too shy to send an email to Steinberg to ask clarification for those 5 parameters he can't figure out... Surely he could contact the techs at Edirol that managed to implement ADM in their interfaces, no?

Absolutely - but then that would result with an implementation that is only guaranteed to work for Edirol interfaces,
Well get yourself an RME interface too and maybe a couple of others and test whatever you have implemented with those too. It isn't exactly rocket science.
if it was as simple as 5 parameters then we would done have it.  Unfortunately - it's not, device manufacturers each handle it differently and we try our hardest to support as many ASIO devices as possible. 
If there are more than the 5 ADM parameters you can see in my other post in this thread, please tell me which they are.

And are you saying that Steinberg and Magix have implemented a different version of ADM for every different interface out there that claims to use ADM? I simply do not believe that. Make sure that whatever you implement works exactly the same way with any interface as Cubase or Nuendo do and you know you have figured out the ADM standard. Again, not rocket science. Obviously Cakewalk already have a system running Cubase in their war room. (That is where Cakewalk test and make sure that any new feature they think up and implement is at least as good if not much better than that of their direct competitors Steinberg and Avid. Aah one can dream...)
With ADM specifically the devices that do support it offer additional functionality (RME or Lynx's mixers for example) that cannot be accessed via ADM so we found that users rarely used it.
Well Sonar users indeed rarely use it because Sonar doesn't have it but Cubase users with interfaces that support ADM do use it. It is very nice to be able to control things directly from the DAW. Seems like the kind of thing Cakewalk/Roland should have implemented with the VS series stuff... Maybe a bit more universally useful than a ROMpler synth, no?
I'm not saying that ADM isn't cool or doesn't have any uses but that it's implementation is not as clear as one would think. It's not something that we have totally tossed off the table but in the grand scheme of feature requests we receive it is pretty small.
That is a vicious circle. Sonar appeals to a certain market because of the type of features it has (and how they are implemented) and that market will in turn ask for certain features but not others. Slowly but surely Sonar appeals less and less to the professional market and more to the hobbyist market. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what Cakewalk want but I hope you guys realise that that is what is happening.

Anyway, you didn't answer my original question: Which part of ADM isn't clear?

UnderTow
UnderTow
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 02:51:36 (permalink)
koolbass

Dear Carlo,

I think there is. Direct Monitoring is not ADM.
With which DAW? Sonar doesn't support ADM.
Got any actual facts about how you use ADM or is it just going to be chest beating?
Even if you have hardware that has ADM, Sonar still doesn't support it...
So why does Cubase or Samplitude work with RME or Soundscape or Edirol?

Respectfully yours,

Lance "koolbass" Martin

I think you mixed up the proprietary direct monitoring implemented by some manufacturers and ASIO direct monitoring and did it with great pomposity making you look rather silly in the process. But maybe not. Let's see your response.

UnderTow

guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 03:32:36 (permalink)

I would LOVE it if Sonar could access this directly from it's tracks because it would allow (presumably) the use of a control surface as opposed to using the mouse on the profire's software mixer/router. I actually like the mixer/router software for the profire (I have it on it's own monitor), I don't mind it being outside sonar, I just wish that I could control it with my MCU or C4 or SOMETHING.

I havent read anymore post but wanted to add:
actually Motu cue mix says it works via mackie MUC by switching between controlling Cue mix and the daw   I have not seen or tried this. nor I'm I trying to get you to buy a new interface. just adding my 2 cents. as I've been looking at new interfaces and control surfaces..particularly the ones I've mentioned.  nor am I sure how well this is all implemented.
post edited by guitarmikeh - 2011/02/23 03:35:29

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
guitarmikeh
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 03:42:16 (permalink)
yeah umm, just a point to some, well maybe just one here.... adding a tack to the end of your finger and jabbing it into someone's skull just to make a point. seems rather jackbooted and militaristic. way to go on being ascorbic and quite frankly nasty. thumbs up to you dude.

rabeach
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:01:20 (permalink)

Hardware that has ADM?
guitarmikeh
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:06:25 (permalink)
depends on your definition of hardware. but I totally get your point.

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:13:15 (permalink)
rabeach

Hardware that has ADM?

A -The ASIO host(Cubase, Sonar have to support the protocol)
B - The hardware (the audio interface) OF COURSE have also to support the protocol!
People its like simple ASIO, remember when Sonar did not supported ASIO?, no matter the soundcard you have with ASIO driver?

Wow its amazing! with this topic I've noticed why Cakewalk does not have enough ADM feature request!, most user are misinformed, uninformed or simple don't know about the existence of it.
carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:14:32 (permalink)
guitarmikeh

depends on your definition of hardware. but I totally get your point.

What point???!!!
guitarmikeh
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:19:31 (permalink)
if you cant figure it out too bad .your a nasty person, and I wont engage you again. begone to the blocked users as you belong. uh buh-bye..

carlosagm79
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:22:07 (permalink)
guitarmikeh

if you cant figure it out too bad .your a nasty person, and I wont engage you again. begone to the blocked users as you belong. uh buh-bye..

I juts can figure out what a humdrum person you are... 
post edited by carlosagm79 - 2011/02/23 04:25:24
guitarmikeh
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 04:27:31 (permalink)
na na na na boo boo , poopy head.

ronkenobi
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re:ASIO Direct Monitoring 2011/02/23 08:37:05 (permalink)
7. If your audio hardware and its driver support ASIO Direct Monitoring, you may want to activate the Direct Monitoring checkbox.

If your audio hardware is ASIO 2.0 compatible, it may support ASIO Direct Monitoring. In this mode, the actual monitoring is done in the audio hardware, by sending the input signal back out again. However, monitoring is controlled from Cubase. This means that the audio hardware’s direct monitoring feature can be turned on or off automatically by Cubase, just as when using internal monitoring.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1