Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Danny Danzi
Gold Member
  • Total Posts : 4600
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/27 19:33:50 (permalink)
dmbaer

Danny Danzi

David, I've never seen anything come through as an exe that was supposed to be a plugin. I see bitbridge server come up in task manager, but never any specific plugin.exe's. You had mentioned in your post something about ARC.exe....that is the standalone that is installed for your corrections. It shouldn't be seen in task manager unless you have the correction procedure exe running. My system may be handling things differently than yours, but I've never seen a plugin come in as an exe on my end for anything when using Sonar 64....so that's why I mentioned that. :)

-Danny

Funny.  I never paid much attention to this before, but I wanted to confirm which version of ARC was running, so I looked at the task manager, which definitely labeled the application as "Arc" (and not "Bitbridge for sure) when all Sonar saw was the 32-bit version.  Now I can't repeat the test because I got the 32/64-bit ARC issue sorted out (and nothing else now shows up in the task manager when I add ARC to a project).  By the way, I never ran ARC.exe in any of this.  My invocation of ARC was strictly as a plug-in insert into an effects bin.

Right, I'm with you....but see, that's the thing...you should NEVER see a plugin show up as an exe even if it's in bitbridge. A plug should always call out as a vst being bridged if you see a plug name at all. I had a friend who literally had the ARC exe correction module in his VST folder...so it would come up in task manager even though it wasn't physically running. He was getting all sorts of errors. Once we uninstalled it and put it back on in the right folders, everything was fine. That's another reason why I mentioned that to you. The whole .exe showing up for a plugin just shouldn't be possible. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying, nothing can turn a VST into an exe, know what I mean?

For example, as I type this, I have Sonar 64 open and playing a file on one of my service boxes here. It has a few old VST's in it that are not 64 bit. For each plug that is not 64 that is in the project, all I see in task manager is "teleport server". It doesn't tell me there is an exe running other than Sonar PDR.exe. It doesn't even tell me what plugs are running in teleport server...it just says TP and then Bitbridge.exe *32. None of the plugs come up as individually labeled exe's though. At any rate, I'm glad you fixed your issue. There was definitely something weird going on there that's for sure. :)

-Danny
dmbaer
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 1836
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/27 19:37:55 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

ARC isn't playing nicely, so as soon as I double click it, the correction automatically loads and then I'm fine for the duration of that project. The next time I open it though, I'll need to open every instance that is being used so it loads the correction. I don't even have to do anything other than open the plug. My correction is loaded, the plug is enabled and all looks well. It just doesn't SOUND right.
Let me see if I've got this right.  You've got ARC 1.3 (64-bit) in a project and open the project.  I assume that you saved the project with ARC visible since you say you can see the graph when you reopen the project.  But it's not applying the correction until you double click it in the effects bin?  Is that the chain of events?  I would like to try to duplicate the behavior on my system.

Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/27 19:52:32 (permalink)
dmbaer

Danny Danzi

ARC isn't playing nicely, so as soon as I double click it, the correction automatically loads and then I'm fine for the duration of that project. The next time I open it though, I'll need to open every instance that is being used so it loads the correction. I don't even have to do anything other than open the plug. My correction is loaded, the plug is enabled and all looks well. It just doesn't SOUND right.
Let me see if I've got this right.  You've got ARC 1.3 (64-bit) in a project and open the project.  I assume that you saved the project with ARC visible since you say you can see the graph when you reopen the project.  But it's not applying the correction until you double click it in the effects bin?  Is that the chain of events?  I would like to try to duplicate the behavior on my system.

Yes Sir...that is correct. No to the ARC open during save. It's in the FX bin on my master bus. Once I double click it (and audio has to be playing for it to feed into it I just found out...you can't just open without anything playing) the graph moves and the correction gets added but not until I double click to open it. Open it a few times and you'll see the graph move...like it's reinitializing or something.

-Danny
DeeringAmps
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 1614
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/27 19:58:30 (permalink)
Obi needs to sic Customer Support on you and get this sorted.

1.3.1 works flawlessly for me on both my machines, BUT I never had any other versions installed.
You gotta be missing something in the registry on the uninstall, don't you think?

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win7x64
StudioCat Custom i7 950 Pro+ 12gb RAM
Sonar X3e
RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control)
Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/28 05:13:50 (permalink)
DeeringAmps

Obi needs to sic Customer Support on you and get this sorted.

1.3.1 works flawlessly for me on both my machines, BUT I never had any other versions installed.
You gotta be missing something in the registry on the uninstall, don't you think?

T

Obi tried once, Tom. I think the guy they had assigned to me just wasn't the right guy for the job. He expected ME to do all the work and advised me to try other DAWs that I didn't want on my machines.

As for the uninstall and registry, I went through all that also...so at this point, I think the problem lies within old corrections being on a new version. If you get a chance and don't mind sharing, could you send me one of your ARC filter files from your 1.3.1 correction? I know they won't sound right on my monitors, but I'd like to try and save a project with corrections done using 1.3.1 to see if I have to do that "open the plug instance" to initiate the correction. I'm going to try another correction prodedure with 1.3.1 to see how I make out with it, but it always seems to crash right at the end when you go to save all the work you've done. But I'd like to try your correction if you don't mind sharing just to see if it stops some of the mayhem.

My email is my first and last name with no spaces (dannydanzi) @ my first and last name (dannydanzi) dot com if you don't mind sharing a correction filter with me? It should be in your ARC filter folder either in "my documents/ik/arc system or in program files (86) ik/arc system. If it's not there, c drive, users, app data, roaming, ik, arc system.

I'm glad it's working on your end. Another cool thing I'd like to try is....you can supposedly use corrections from 1.3.1 with ARC 2. I'd like to see how it makes them sound when comparing the same corrections loaded in ARC 1. I just gotta make it through the 1.3.1 correction procedure without a crash. :) But yeah, I've tried everything possible on this end that I can think of. Uninstalled, removed all folders and files from every folder I could find with ARC or ARC system...removed all registry items pertaining to ARC....not sure what else to try at this point. Thanks Tom. :)

-Danny
SEVerstraten
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 14:13:27 (permalink)
I just bought ARC (1) installed v 1.3.1 and did the measurements. Next I want to use it in Sonar X2a Producer 64bit, but it just won't show.
The ARC.dll is in the correct  folder, and I can choose it when changing the VST layout, but I just can't insert the thing. 
I also made sure I did not also scan the 32 bit version.. (btw running the 32 bit version with bitbridge seems to work fine)

What am I missing here?

Sonar X1d Expanded
Win 7 x64 , Intel i7 2670QM, 8GB DDR3
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE, 
IK-Multimedia STOMP-IO,
KRK V4,
PCR500,
Behringer BCF2000,
M-Audio Oxygen 25 

Band Rehearsal mixes: http://snd.sc/MujTc8 

Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 14:24:09 (permalink)
Go to preferences, VST settings, press "reset all VST's" then press scan and see if it shows up after that. Make sure you have the proper VST folder where you have the 64 bit dll installed as well for 64.

-Danny
SEVerstraten
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 14:30:10 (permalink)
That did it. Thanks Danny!

Sonar X1d Expanded
Win 7 x64 , Intel i7 2670QM, 8GB DDR3
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE, 
IK-Multimedia STOMP-IO,
KRK V4,
PCR500,
Behringer BCF2000,
M-Audio Oxygen 25 

Band Rehearsal mixes: http://snd.sc/MujTc8 

Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 14:31:37 (permalink)
You're welcome SEV. You may have to do this for each new plug you install due to Sonar's new plugin manager. So far I've just had to do that reset thing once...but on one of my other machines, I've had to do it twice. So if you ever don't see a plug show up, just do that and you should be fine. Glad that helped. :)

-Danny
dmbaer
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 1836
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 19:34:23 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Yes Sir...that is correct. No to the ARC open during save. It's in the FX bin on my master bus. Once I double click it (and audio has to be playing for it to feed into it I just found out...you can't just open without anything playing) the graph moves and the correction gets added but not until I double click to open it. Open it a few times and you'll see the graph move...like it's reinitializing or something. 

Danny, for what it's worth ...

I have a project with ARC 1.3 in the master bin saved with the ARC window not displayed.  I open the project and ARC is without question working (i.e., it's enabled and doing its thing) even though it's not visible.  When I double click, the ARC window opens and I see the graph move (you have to look close and it happens quite rapidly, but it does move).  All this means (to me anyway) is that the graphic jiggles upon window open are neither here nor there.  My take on this is that the graphic behavior does not seem to be related to the sound issues you are experiencing.

Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2012/12/29 20:52:55 (permalink)
Thanks David. I meant to update this. It appears on my end, that it's the old correction files being used on the newer version of the software. Tom and I exchanged ARC filter files. His from a correction made with 1.3.1, mine with a correction made on 1.1.1.

On my system, his correction loads up perfectly and does not need to be intiated. On HIS system, my correction works perfectly and doesn't misbahave. Weird.....so I'm at a loss, but it's definitely gremlins on my end. If I could make it through a correction procedure with 1.3.1 without a crash at the end, I believe that will solve my problem. I'm going to maybe try it tonight or tomorrow when I get a little down time. Thanks for taking part in this...and thanks to Tom for sharing the correction with me. :)

-Danny
TraceyStudios
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 603
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 11:48:02 (permalink)
Ok folks, been using the ARC2 for a bit now, and thought I would post a few things that are good to know for anyone thinking of using it.

1) the ARC is inserted on the master bus, so it has monitor feature which allows you to change the volume, this also effects the levels of your master bus, so sometime I think I am clipping when in fact I wouldn't be if I was not using the ARC2, other time I would be clipping without using it. So I play the song with the ARC off and watch the level meter on the master bus, and turn on the arc and adjust the ARC monitor volume so the volumes are consistent. Took me a few days and a few mixes to figure this out.

2) prior to getting the ARC2, I had the high freq of my KRK Rokit 8s attenuated quite a bit, once I calibrated with ARC2, I noticed the highs seemed distorted during play back. Thought I had issues, After mixdown and listened on another computer, the distortion was not in the mix. I looked at the graph in ARC which shows before/after/target and I noticed in the Before section, I had signifigant hi freq roll off, and ARC corrected it.  I think the ARC eq had to add lots of high end to flatten out the room, thus causing a bit of distorion. So I turned up the hi- freq on my monitors re calibrated/ measured and the distortion is now gone during play back.

3) Now that my room has been "corrected" or "corrected" as much as it can, I am thinking I may need to get another set of monitors with smaller woofers, currently I have krk rokit 8s, however they don't quite have the midrange detail, they sound great for the low end. I am not planning to get rid of them, just add a pair of 5" or 6" monitors and have the ability to A/B them, (Anyone have any suggestions for a good 5" or 6" monitor?).

4) You would think that remembering to disable the ARC2 on the master bus, prior to mixdown, would be an easy and minor thing to remember, but I forget almost every time! Drives me crazy!!! LOL!

Just wanted to share, hopefully this information will be helpful.  Overall, I am very happy with the ARC2. I has made a positive impact on my mixes

AMD FX-6100 six-core processor 3.3GHz
8 Gig RAM
SONAR X3 Producer
Tascam FW1884
Mackie Blackbird
Presonus Digimax
Avalon U5
BFD2
SL Trigger
Alesis DM8 Pro drums
KRK Rokit 8s
KRK 10s
ARC2

Folgers Dark Roast, a bit of crazy :)
& lots of help from the forums!

http://www.reverbnation.com/blakkmire
Beepster
Platinum Member
  • Total Posts : 9186
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 11:52:51 (permalink)
I really wish I could afford ARC. I have done much yet but my set up in the new room is sounding kind of wonky to me.
TraceyStudios
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 11:58:01 (permalink)

8 Gig RAM
SONAR X3 Producer
Tascam FW1884
Mackie Blackbird
Presonus Digimax
Avalon U5
BFD2
SL Trigger
Alesis DM8 Pro drums
KRK Rokit 8s
KRK 10s
ARC2

Beepster
Platinum Member
  • Total Posts : 9186
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 12:07:00 (permalink)
Freaking awesome! Thanks, dude.

That bitflipper sure is one smart cookie. Cheers.
TraceyStudios
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 12:27:20 (permalink)
There are lots of smart cookies on this forum! :)

8 Gig RAM
SONAR X3 Producer
Tascam FW1884
Mackie Blackbird
Presonus Digimax
Avalon U5
BFD2
SL Trigger
Alesis DM8 Pro drums
KRK Rokit 8s
KRK 10s
ARC2

stuhldreher
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 133
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 13:08:41 (permalink)
Danny, thanks for the insights on ARC.  Do you use the ARC plug for any of your mastring? 
also anyone have both T-Racks and ARC2?  ARC2 does not currently work with T-Racks, the complay said their working on this, which really sucks... anybody hear about when ARC2 will be compatable with T-Racks?
thanks
Randy

Sonar Producer X2 Expanded
Intel - Core i7 870 Processor: 2.93GHz Quad/HT
8 Gig RAM
interface: Steinberg MR816x
monitors: Adam A7x
Windows 7 Home Premium

southpaw3473
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 583
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 17:40:19 (permalink)
I found ARC 2 on Ebay for $165. I ordered it and am very excited to put it to work.  My studio is treated (control room and drum/iso room are small bedrooms) to some extent but the allure of well translated mixes is too hard to resist.

And I want to reiterate what was said earlier. Bitflipper and Danny Danzi along with many others like Karl (Fast Biker Boy), Bapu, Panu, et al have been saviors. I can't tell how many times I've had issues or problems and they have come to the rescue. I've been in the Sonar world for 4 or 5 years now and I don't think I could have accomplished 1/4 of what I've done in the studio without their sensible knowledge and selflessness.  They are always willing to help.  Thanks!

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Sonar X3d Producer 
Win 8.1 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
MOTU Track 16/ Focusrite OctoPre/
Makie Onyx 1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!
ptheisen
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 85
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/04 19:14:13 (permalink)
TracyStudios (and any other ARC users with similar issues),

With a bit of reconfiguration, you can eliminate issues 1 and 4 that you described above.

A) Instead of having the output of your master bus go to the mains bus that is connected to your speakers, change the output of the master bus to go to another mains bus, for example, one that your headphones can access.

B) Insert a new stereo bus with corresponding send on the master bus. You could call this new bus "ARC" or "Speakers" or something like that. The send level should stay at 0 (unity).

C) Remove the ARC plug-in from the master bus and instead place it on the new bus.

D) Set the output of the new bus to go to the mains bus that is connected to your speakers.

E) Make this configuration part of the template(s) you use for starting projects so that you don't have to do it each time.

This configuration guarantees that ARC will have the desired effect on your speakers, yet not affect anything else, like exports, headphones, etc. You may still want to remember to disable ARC for those times that you're concerned about CPU use or latency.

I hope I explained this so it can be understood, because it works great. I know other people here are already doing the same thing.
TraceyStudios
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 13:40:37 (permalink)
ptheisen: Thanks, that's a great solution! The best answers always seem the simplest, yet I never think of them! LOL.

Thanks!!!

8 Gig RAM
SONAR X3 Producer
Tascam FW1884
Mackie Blackbird
Presonus Digimax
Avalon U5
BFD2
SL Trigger
Alesis DM8 Pro drums
KRK Rokit 8s
KRK 10s
ARC2

BCnSTL
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 15:18:00 (permalink)
I have ARC. Haven't used it in quite some time. I couldn't get it to not sound obviously 'weird' and phasey. I did the setup meticulously 3x over. Oh well. I added more room treatment and a 2nd set of monitors. 

Not a fan myself but it's cool that it's working well for so many others.  I'd sell it but re-selling software is a PITA ime.
DeeringAmps
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 15:23:43 (permalink)
BC,
Are you SURE the recorded signal was not coming back thru the speakers?
That would cause the "phasey" issue you are experiencing.

Tom

Tom Deering

Win7x64
Sonar X3e
RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control)
BCnSTL
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 16:49:04 (permalink)
How could the recorded sound come back through the speaker?
Atsuko
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 17:22:41 (permalink)
Hi, Guys,

a friend is going to bring me ARC System 2 from the US, at the end of this month so, in order to become acquainted with the subject, I've been
reading a lot about it in the forum (besides trying to get the manual in the web with no success), but still there're some doubts I'm sure someone can help me:

1) Why do we have to turn off ARC when we're in the process of mixing down?

2) To simply listen to a song, will we have to disable ARC or is it ok to have it turned on all the time, except when mixing down?

3) During measurements, the air conditioner can be on?

4) I have an audio card (M-Audio Delta 1010LT) that doesn't have phantom power but I have a mixer Behringer Xenix 1204 that has. Do you think That I can loose something during measurements because I'll have to intermediate the audio card with the mixer?

Thanks,
Ane Atsuko

Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 7 64bit - M-Audio Delta 1010LT - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar X2a & X3e Producer - Melodyne Editor - RX3 Advanced - ARC2
DeeringAmps
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 18:09:08 (permalink)
BC,
Its called "Direct Monitoring" or "Zero Latency".
The interface lets you hear the signal before (or "as" really) Sonar gets it.
If your interface is direct capable you have to turn that off when doing the test measurements.
Simple as that.
List your interface so we call tell if its "Direct" capable.

T

Tom Deering

Win7x64
Sonar X3e
RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control)
BCnSTL
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 21:19:46 (permalink)
Yeah, that isn't happening. The phasey-ness is there all-the-time, not just when recording a live source - as would be the case in what you describe.  

But I'm not ragging on ARC. It sounds like it's working great for many. I'm just sharing my personal not-so-great experience with it. 
TraceyStudios
Silver Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/07 21:52:16 (permalink)
Atsuko,

Q1) Why do we have to turn off ARC when we're in the process of mixing down? 
Answer - If you set it up like ptheisen, then you won't have to shut it down. The software is just there to "fix" any room issues you have. If you had it on the master bus, then your mix would be eq'd for your mix/recording room only. But set it up like ptheisen and should work fine.

Q2) To simply listen to a song, will we have to disable ARC or is it ok to have it turned on all the time, except when mixing down?

Answer - sure, however you may want it on all the time it won't hurt anything.

Q3) During measurements, the air conditioner can be on?
Answer, If the A/C is in your room, you should turn it off until you are done measuring, if the A/C is in another part of the house, then you should be fine.

Q4) I have an audio card (M-Audio Delta 1010LT) that doesn't have phantom power but I have a mixer Behringer Xenix 1204 that has. Do you think That I can loose something during measurements because I'll have to intermediate the audio card with the mixer?

Answer, maybe, but the software should get you close, I would set everyting to 0 on the eq section of the mixer. Again this tools is to "fix" your room EQ, it does a very good job, but it can't fix it 100%. so user reference tracks when you mix!!!! I am learning that as we speak, it helps alot!!

I hope I helped.
T

8 Gig RAM
SONAR X3 Producer
Tascam FW1884
Mackie Blackbird
Presonus Digimax
Avalon U5
BFD2
SL Trigger
Alesis DM8 Pro drums
KRK Rokit 8s
KRK 10s
ARC2

Freddie H
Gold Member
  • Total Posts : 3618
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/08 07:57:35 (permalink)
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc/index.php?pp=arc-system-video

In my humble opinion, I just say Toys for KIDS!
If you if you have success with it good for you but I think it's better to treat the room correctly. That is a much better solution

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
wizard71
Silver Member
  • Total Posts : 662
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/08 08:27:28 (permalink)
And in my humble opinion I say for the ££ it's the best answer to your problems.
Most people either don't have the money or a studio dedicated enough to fill it with real room treatment. ARC is FAR from being a toy for kids.

Bibs

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar X3c - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - AT 4033a - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano -Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Aria bass

Danny Danzi
Gold Member
Re:Anyone using IK Multimedia ARC Room Correction System 2 ? 2013/01/08 09:03:16 (permalink)
Freddie H

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc/index.php?pp=arc-system-video

In my humble opinion, I just say Toys for KIDS!
If you if you have success with it good for you but I think it's better to treat the room correctly. That is a much better solution

Far from a toy. I'd like to see you eq/flatten your monitors with room treatment. :) It's simply not possible. This is what non-believers fail to realize. Even if you don't believe it helps your room, rest assured, it will flatten your monitors better than having a pro come to your studio to do it. If anyone gets anything out of ARC, that alone should be enough.

-Danny
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1