Helpful ReplyBig announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You

Page: << < ..21222324 > Showing page 23 of 24
Author
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/08 18:47:03 (permalink)
I think this is excellent point. People are brutal. And deserved or not, Sonar already has a reputation problem among users of other DAWs.

Even though this will be only a very early alpha version, every feature that is enabled absolutely MUST work perfectly or word will spread and no amount of marketing or user testimonials will undo the resulting perception that Sonar on a mac doesn't work and therefore shouldn't be considered. 

The fact that its only an alpha version will not factor at all in the court of public opinion.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
awakerman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/08 19:18:34 (permalink)
bwhit
mikey

Yes its a big undertaking. An Advertised Sonar video of it running on a Mac undertaking.  It would also be fair if they gave us who bought Sonar Plat for our Mac "only" (waaaay back in August 2016) a status update per month or so. Why? Because Ive been sitting on my install investment since then.

This is how I feel. I have owned every version of Sonar (plus Pro Audio 9) but I no longer own a PC. I did the upgrade for life based on the promise of a Mac version which doesn't appear to be forthcoming. I would like my $199 back until it does (if ever...).

I am exactly in the same situation. Silence doesn't help at all. If it is cancelled, take the responsibility and inform us about.

The sky moves sideways
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/09 02:43:26 (permalink)
bwhit
I would like my $199 back until it does (if ever...).

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
mikey
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/11 19:16:25 (permalink)
abacab

But I do agree, a little more effort in managing expectations would go a long way with credibility

Exactly. Effort is the key word here. Don't tell me they don't have time to give a status report to us on this Mac version issue once a month. Because they do, and flat choose not to. Think we are brutal when the software doesnt work as intended? Try us with no communication. I too would prefer my money back after this snub, but thats not gonna happen either. So I'll just keep using Pro Tools and Cubase 9 until Cakewalk does release a Mac version as Im well covered anyway. I also believe that many of us will remember the total lack of communication here, from Cakewalk,  when considering our next Mac Host. 
blazingedgepro
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 12:12:31 (permalink)
I've been looking forward to a Mac version too like everyone else, but then I remembered that Rapture and D-Pro aren't supported on Mac anymore. So it wouldn't do me any good after all. It'd be nice to play with, but not essential. I dual-boot Win10 on a MacBook Pro so I feel like I'm on a Mac anyway. ;)

That being said, a word from Cakewalk would be nice just to let us know it's still in development.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 14:50:35 (permalink)
They only mentioned an Alpha version.

That doesn't even guarantee the ability to import, save, or export let alone enough stability to use it.  

I'm astounded people claim they bought Plat without a Windows platform to use the current state on based on that announcement.  
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 15:10:27 (permalink)
Brian Walton
 I'm astounded people claim they bought Plat without a Windows platform to use the current state on based on that announcement. 

It was the stated lifetime updates deadline that caused some of us to imagine it was now or never.

Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Yes, OS X installers would be included for Lifetime Update. We don't sell stuff based on what OS you are running. Just understand SONAR Mac is in Alpha. That's the early stage.

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
The lifetime membership will include all platforms of SONAR so its the best offer we have. Initially the OSX version will be a free alpha.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 16:42:40 (permalink)
blazingedgepro
I've been looking forward to a Mac version too like everyone else, but then I remembered that Rapture and D-Pro aren't supported on Mac anymore. 

I'm pretty sure they are, I've used them again a few days ago. ;)

The product page actually has a picture of Rapture Pro running in Logic on an iMac.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Rapture

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 20:39:20 (permalink)
Rain
pwalpwal
"Still in development. Not much else right now besides that." (http://steamcommunity.com/app/380080/discussions/1/154644928863808096/ )

Accountability means a lot in my book - especially for a company who wants you to buy into the subscription model...

It's NOT a subscription model.  Never has been..

How is paying for your software upfront (just like the good old days) and being able to use it forever, a subscription model?  Or being able to break that payment into 12 easy monthly installments?

This is a perpetuation of disinformation.

I thought we'd got over all this malarkey ages ago.

Sorry to respond to an older post, but the forum software took me there when I clicked on the new post icon.  Perhaps it knew what my response would be. 

Sonar Platinum
Rain
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 22:04:10 (permalink)
You are correct. 

Should have further investigated instead of relying on hearsay.

Which I would have done eventually, if they'd actually released a Mac version. ;)

Thanks for setting the record straight.

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/12 22:32:40 (permalink)
I just went to the web page and it says that Rap Pro is available for Mac. I assume there's an upgrade path from Rapture to Rapture Pro. Personally I don't like the version and don't have it installed. The free version ran poorly on my system so there's norway I was going to shell out for the full version. Quite happy with the 2 synths I already bought, Dim Pro and Rapture. According to my products page there's no support for them either.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Rain
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/13 00:17:06 (permalink)
ampfixer
I just went to the web page and it says that Rap Pro is available for Mac. I assume there's an upgrade path from Rapture to Rapture Pro. Personally I don't like the version and don't have it installed. The free version ran poorly on my system so there's norway I was going to shell out for the full version. Quite happy with the 2 synths I already bought, Dim Pro and Rapture. According to my products page there's no support for them either.

To be honest, I think I preferred having them as separate synths, both of which I ran on my MacBook Pro, if only for the fact that all the hundreds of presets I had saved in Logic for each plug-in are now absolutely useless. And I was just so used to the old GUI.

Unfortunately, when I went the 64bit route, I had to leave them behind.

I had practically lost all hope when Cakewalk finally release Rapture Pro in 2015 - if I remember correctly, neither Dimension nor Rapture had been updated since 2009. 

So I'm just thankful that I can still run 3 of my favorite synths (Dim Pro, Rapture and Zeta) on my Mac, in a 64 bit environment. 

blazingedgepro
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/14 20:20:13 (permalink)
If I remember correctly, the installer for the original Rapture was never updated to support Intel Macs, so unless it was already installed on your machine from Snow Leopard days, you're out of luck.

Any projects I have that use Rapture (practically all of them) probably won't load with only Rapture Pro. So, I'm sticking with Windows for music and games, and Mac for everything else, which is what I've been doing for years.
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/19 07:12:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2017/01/19 17:08:39
Rain
ampfixer

To be honest, I think I preferred having them as separate synths, both of which I ran on my MacBook Pro, if only for the fact that all the hundreds of presets I had saved in Logic for each plug-in are now absolutely useless. And I was just so used to the old GUI.

Unfortunately, when I went the 64bit route, I had to leave them behind.

I had practically lost all hope when Cakewalk finally release Rapture Pro in 2015 - if I remember correctly, neither Dimension nor Rapture had been updated since 2009. 

So I'm just thankful that I can still run 3 of my favorite synths (Dim Pro, Rapture and Zeta) on my Mac, in a 64 bit environment. 

Have you thought about using jbridgeMac or 32Lives! on your old 32 bit plugins?

Jack
Qapla!
Rain
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/19 17:09:10 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

Have you thought about using jbridgeMac or 32Lives! on your old 32 bit plugins?

I had not. Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check it out!

dmclaughlin
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/21 12:28:44 (permalink)
I had this written for the now locked Mac update thread, but I am not one to waste my own hot air!

Personal attacks on Craig Anderton are uncalled for. His positive contribution level is unquestionable, no matter where he draws a paycheck from.

However, a point that seems to be getting lost amid all the noise and defensiveness is not that people are only asking for an update on the progress of the alpha release, they're asking why it was scrubbed entirely from the Cakewalk site? "It's late" is much different than "it's gone."

I understand people want to talk about the usual 'quiet periods before update releases', or 'give them time to cook up a suitable demo' etc., but then why not update the page saying 'coming summer 2017' vs wiping the page entirely? Considering how this was presented as a big deal to the e-music community, it is very strange to just have it blink out of existence.

If people bought into the lifetime updates with the hopes of it benefiting them on the Mac side as well, I could see how there would be additional frustration from those consumers also. This is probably a small number overall, but the financially impacted could end up being the most vocal.

For the record, count me among the group who thinks all of this Mac programming effort would be better spent on Project 5 v3 anyway! 
mikey
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/23 16:45:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby awakerman 2017/01/24 13:34:06
For the record, count me among the group who thinks all of this Mac programming effort would be better spent on Project 5 v3 anyway!

And that's fine if you are not one of many like me who bought the lifetime subscription for a Mac. Look I'm NOT trying to take anything away from the Sonar PC users. Was one myself once. 
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/28 17:19:54 (permalink)
mikey

And that's fine if you are not one of many like me who bought the lifetime subscription for a Mac. Look I'm NOT trying to take anything away from the Sonar PC users. Was one myself once. 

Since you already sprung for Lifetime ...
You may be interested in knowing (if you don't already know ) that the newest versions of the LP-EQ and LP-MB have separate Mac installers for them w out having to use the CCC...
I just found this out when I went into the Cakewalk products section on my account ...
I downloaded both plugs for Mac .
Since I'm currently using my older MackBook at the moment ( Snow Leopard ) my OS was not supported due to being too early a version of OSX ...
The min OSX spec is Lion ....I find that encouraging since I can use these plugs on my i Mac ....

just a heads up ,

Kenny

PS to the other fella in the quote ...I love P5 ...sure would Love to see P 5 V3 64 bit

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/01/28 22:33:38 (permalink)
Though my immediate interest would have been a Mac version, I would love to see P5 raise from its hashes. A cross-platform version would be awesome, goes without saying. 

EnriqueLab
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 01:56:08 (permalink)
Saludos, no se donde puedo postear en el foro este link para que le echen un ojo a este video tutorial, espero sea aquí el lugar correcto, sino por favor diganme donde puedo postearlo ... saludos :)

markoburrows
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 10:15:12 (permalink)
EnriqueLab
Saludos, no se donde puedo postear en el foro este link para que le echen un ojo a este video tutorial, espero sea aquí el lugar correcto, sino por favor diganme donde puedo postearlo ... saludos :)

El mejor lugar para los videos tutoriales está en youtube en mi opinión. Echa un vistazo a los estudios de chernobyl. Lo siento si esto no te ayuda Estoy hablando español

Best Regartds

marko (I used Goole translate so if this is swearing in Spanish I apologise)
EnriqueLab
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 11:38:13 (permalink)
Muchas gracias por tu amable respuesta, es triste ver que el foro no tenga un espacio para la gente de habla latina, por otro lado Chernobyl no son los únicos que hacen vídeo tutoriales en la red, espero en un futuro abran un espacio para nosotros los latinos... 

Saludos
mikey
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 14:48:36 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
mikey

You may be interested in knowing (if you don't already know ) that the newest versions of the LP-EQ and LP-MB have separate Mac installers for them w out having to use the CCC...
I just found this out when I went into the Cakewalk products section on my account ...

just a heads up ,

Kenny

PS to the other fella in the quote ...I love P5 ...sure would Love to see P 5 V3 64 bit

TYVM Kenny!!! DLing them now.

Then by all means be astounded!  But please don't think I prefer a Windows platform over a Mac,  based on Cakewalks, or "any" announcement... 
post edited by mikey - 2017/02/03 15:23:32
Brian Walton
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 15:40:00 (permalink)
mikey
kennywtelejazz
mikey

just a heads up ,

Kenny

TYVM Kenny!!! DLing them now.

Then by all means be astounded!  But please don't think I prefer a Windows platform over a Mac,  based on Cakewalks, or "any" announcement... 

Only astounded because you paid that much money for speculation.  I'm not a risk taker.  

I followed the posts closely and know that only an Alpha was really promised.  And I know enough about software to know that an Alpha doesn't even promise the ability to load, save or export projects.

As for the lifetime, they only stated that if the full Mac version ever makes it to market that one would only need one licence for Sonar.  So I understand the desire to get on board for life, should it ever come out.  However, that should have been a calculated risk one was taking by dropping the money down.  No different than gambling where you walk away from the table if you were wrong.  (IMO)
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/03 22:49:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mcgary 2017/03/01 22:40:19
dmclaughlin
I had this written for the now locked Mac update thread, but I am not one to waste my own hot air!

Personal attacks on Craig Anderton are uncalled for. His positive contribution level is unquestionable, no matter where he draws a paycheck from.

Gee, I missed wherever that was so I didn't respond. Oh well. For the record, my paycheck is from Gibson Brands. Although I don't want to diminish the importance I attach to Cakewalk, the reality is it's more like a hobby to me because I've used SONAR since it was in beta...which was about 13 years before Gibson acquired the company. Today was spent testing...oh wait, I can't tell you about that. Anyway, it wasn't about Cakewalk. Nor was the telecommunications/DJ-oriented patent I assigned to Gibson Innovations today.

As to personal attacks, I had death threats when I was editing Electronic Musician magazine. Some people didn't like my editorials, but obviously I'm still here . I've been a public figure for over 50 years and part of that is being attacked by clueless people who have never met me, don't know me, have no idea what I do, yet feel qualified to offer their opinions. Whee!

As to the Mac version...I'm not in that loop, and frankly I don't care one way or the other. My philosophy has always been 1) buy the software you want to use, then 2) buy the computer to run it (in that order). Computers are appliances. "Religion" is a whole different topic than operating systems, although it seems there's some confusion among some people.

To those who say "But I can't afford two computers," I'm never going to diss someone because they have financial limitations. But when I wasn't making very much bucks at all, I saved and bought a TEAC A-3340 4-track recorder so I didn't have to pay the cost of going to Record Plant or whatever. In today's dollars, that cost $5,350. For the same amount you can now buy a Mac, a screamin' Windows machine, SONAR Platinum, and Logic X Pro and have money left over. Just sayin'. And the 3340 didn't have a mixer or a backline.

SONAR is a great program. I love it. After a decade of using a Mac and a-program-I-won't-name-because-I'm-a-gentleman I bought a Windows computer so I could run SONAR. Still use SONAR. Still have a Mac. Life is simple if you want it to be.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Juan Sanchez
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/05 21:18:47 (permalink)
I want life to be simple on a Mac with Sonar :)

Take Care, Juan Sanchez

Rockin in the free world
mikey
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/08 19:46:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby awakerman 2017/02/09 04:14:40
As for the lifetime, they only stated that if the full Mac version ever makes it to market that one would only need one licence for Sonar. 

Risk? Yes, and then they did a full video showing a Mac running Sonar on it... We all saw that, and since you follow closely I'm sure you did too. And then, they also announced that to get lifetime updates at that time, you had to purchase before August 31st. So whats a Mac user to do you think? Not buy the lifetime because only an alpha at the time was available, and we wouldn't want astounded people asking later on "you had the chance to buy it then but you didn't"?  Reason says that they were developing this for the Mac, per their video. Speculate all you want as I did and will, but it was the only move we had at the time to be included in the lifetime deal, and the video was proof that they were at least working on this. This info (if you think about it from our POV for a moment) should quell the need to be so astounded, especially since you followed it so closely. 
Brian Walton
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/09 16:24:12 (permalink)
mikey
As for the lifetime, they only stated that if the full Mac version ever makes it to market that one would only need one licence for Sonar. 

Risk? Yes, and then they did a full video showing a Mac running Sonar on it... We all saw that, and since you follow closely I'm sure you did too. And then, they also announced that to get lifetime updates at that time, you had to purchase before August 31st. So whats a Mac user to do you think? Not buy the lifetime because only an alpha at the time was available, and we wouldn't want astounded people asking later on "you had the chance to buy it then but you didn't"?  Reason says that they were developing this for the Mac, per their video. Speculate all you want as I did and will, but it was the only move we had at the time to be included in the lifetime deal, and the video was proof that they were at least working on this. This info (if you think about it from our POV for a moment) should quell the need to be so astounded, especially since you followed it so closely. 

Of course I saw the video (it could have been running under Boot Camp for all I know).

Only astounded at the idea of forking out ~$500 for software that may never see actual production.  (again, the Alpha portion has been stated as 100% free to anyone from day one).  It is a risk, just like waiting for another lifetime update offer in the future would be a risk.  I believe they were working on it, and I'd even imagine they have something that basically works to some degree at this point.  But I also was pretty sure that a full blown version was at least a year away from that announcement if not more.

I'm just as astounded as someone putting down $500 on a roulette table.  

If you never install your serial number and activate it on a PC, I'm guessing the Bakers can track that and see if they are willing to give you a refund if you state your case at some point should the software never see the light of day.
Ibanez Laney
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/10 00:52:11 (permalink)
It takes ages to develop modern software.
I think a few people need to take their tin foil hats off and chill.

The Mac version will come - Let them finish it.
Cakewalk can't win. People whinge it's not out yet but will also whinge that it's buggy if the release is rushed.

i7 2600k, 1 x Nvidia 970 + 1 x 560ti, 16GB RAM, 5TB of Spinning Thingys, Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56 + lots and lots of cables. Sooo many cables.. I think they are breeding.
Rain
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2017/02/10 01:10:07 (permalink)
Ibanez Laney
It takes ages to develop modern software.
I think a few people need to take their tin foil hats off and chill.

The Mac version will come - Let them finish it.
Cakewalk can't win. People whinge it's not out yet but will also whinge that it's buggy if the release is rushed.

Let's just stick to fact:
- the Alpha version was officially announced and scheduled to be released last fall.
- that never happened.
- after having failed to meet the release date, Cakewalk provided no update.

In other words, Cakewalk could have won on this one.

Which is why most of us were disappointed.

No one was expecting anything but a potentially very buggy Alpha release, or an update. And everyone here knows that developing software takes time.

If this annoys you, maybe you should take your own advice, take that tinfoil hat off and chill ;)

Page: << < ..21222324 > Showing page 23 of 24
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1