Boycott Monster Cable

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Author
joshhunsaker
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/21 05:55:42 (permalink)
hmmm....
this whole thread is absolutely fascinating. Amazing the corporate greed of some of these people. It's so funny that you can type in the words "oxygen free copper" on wikipedia and get a perfectly sound explanation of why it's nearly pointless at room temperature to get one type or the other - and there's monster cable, pretending to be scientific or some crap (99.9% free guys!! come'on! it's gotta be good!!). Do they even have a R&D department at monster or do they just hire by the "i know this guy that needs a job" trick that so many business' use...

Yep, you sure can back up your stuff. I'm impressed. Same with bitflipper. Some seriously good tidbits there. Wish I could just download your guys' life experience into my brain before I turn into one of those PPP's ("popular product pushers") at Guitar Center. Yikes, to think some people get blinded by all that whizbang semantic stuff. Makes me a little sad.

i made a little link in the kvraudio forum. i think its good to bump this issue as much as possible seeing as how monster cable doesn't seem to be losing any momentum...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192231

maybe they should have their own law firm? you know... MONSTER LAWSUITS INC. or something to that effect. It seems there getting good enough at it.

wow i just found this too. not only is monster guilty of extortion (essentially) but they lie in their claims for product specs! Absolutely amazing...!!
if this isn't in an in-depth enough comparision of a Monster product than i don't know what is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGO8owSOmvw&mode=related&search=

okay just one more link...
this kind of serves as a counter point in some ways, interesting little video showing Noel Lee in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhsPEHajvY&mode=related&search=
post edited by joshhunsaker - 2007/09/21 07:14:27
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/21 11:51:13 (permalink)
Glad to see this thread is still on page one. It needs to be, as an educational service.

This thread shows the word has not gotten out, even among this community.

Thanks for that YouTube link, Josh. Love that "EMI detector".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
FLZapped
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/23 08:42:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: Catphish

Monster Cable CEO Noel Lee defended these actions by saying "We have an obligation to protect our trademark; otherwise we'd lose it"

He is correct. And whether they win or loose doesn't matter. It's not about winning, it's about protecting their trademark, and it's basically required of them by trademark law.

Please read what we are talking about before posting rubbish like this.

Monster is not protecting their trademark. They are filing extortionate shakedown lawsuits. Suing Cookie Monster is not required of them by law.

Really, truly-- this is not some hippy-crunchy anti-corporate thing or loony left conspiracy theory. This is not people over-reacting to a legal campaign that accidentally crossed the line or overshot the mark in a few isolated cases. This is a deliberate and orchestrated effort to extort money from legitimate businesses, large and small, who have done nothing wrong and who have never threatened nor infringed upon Monster's trademarks.

Follow the links to the trademark office website. Take a look at the actual documents. The offense is egregious.

Cheers.

Agreed, here is a list off of Wiki...none of these could ever possibly be mistaken for Monster Cable:

* Monster Garage
* Monster House
* Monster Energy Drink
* MonsterHTPC
* Snow Monsters (a kid's skiing group)
* MonsterVintage, small used clothing store
* Monsters, Inc., an animated feature film
* Monsters of the Midway, a nickname of the Chicago Bears football team
* Fenway Park's Monster seats
* Monster.com employment website

When I first heard of this, they were suing some very small business that made hand puppets that looked like, yep, monsters. Needless to say, I wouldn't have Monster Cables stuck up my A** if I had room for a sawmill.

-Bruce
FLZapped
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/23 08:59:01 (permalink)
I have been wondering why all the other owners of businesses with the name "Monster" in their description haven't banded together to file a class action lawsuit against Monster Cable.

DRHollingsworth
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 821
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/24 11:10:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FLZapped

I have been wondering why all the other owners of businesses with the name "Monster" in their description haven't banded together to file a class action lawsuit against Monster Cable.

I think it might be because most are busy trying to make a living. One of the things I noticed is that a lot of the businesses targeted are small businesses (Federal Judicial tort records) who don't have the financial capability to fight the financial giant that Monster Cable has become. The other is that I think that most of these businesses are unaware that there are others suffering under the weight and financial burden of having to hire legal representation to fight their own cases. For the most part a lot businesses are isolated within their own island (market) with little to no contact with other merchants.

But from my understanding there seems to be a large backlash amongst those in the music industry both hobbyist and professional. The right tack to take is to reduce the funding for this type of behavior. And boycotting does just that. It's bad corporate behavior and greed that is fueling the desire to shake down innocent businesses.

IMHO monster cable has overstepped the bounds of what is legally reasonable by trying to enforce the dilution principle of the Monster brand by suing businesses that are definitely outside of the realm of audio cables. It's outrageous to think they can monopolize the word Monster which is a commonly used word in the English language no matter what continent you are on.

In the end I am with Bitflipper and Yep. It's the only reasonable response.

On another note regarding Guitar Center. I've dealt with them for years and never had any issues. I deal with one guy in the store and that's it. Every time I move to a new city and I need equipment I find the one guy who listens to me and what I want. I get a great deal (I never pay the stickered or the internet price, i.e, got a Jackson RR5 for $700), he listens to why I like this or that and never recommends anything to me. It's worked for me for 25 years. He even stays late or comes in on his day off to help me out when I let him know that I will be coming in. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's all about relationships. And it happens to work for me.
post edited by DRHollingsworth - 2007/09/24 11:21:06
bitflipper
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/26 18:36:37 (permalink)
On another note regarding Guitar Center. I've dealt with them for years and never had any issues. I deal with one guy in the store and that's it. Every time I move to a new city and I need equipment I find the one guy who listens to me and what I want. I get a great deal (I never pay the stickered or the internet price, i.e, got a Jackson RR5 for $700), he listens to why I like this or that and never recommends anything to me. It's worked for me for 25 years. He even stays late or comes in on his day off to help me out when I let him know that I will be coming in. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's all about relationships. And it happens to work for me.

Absolutely. Once you've established a relationship with "that guy" you only have to have the "I don't buy Monster" talk once, he won't try to push those products with you. He'll already know that you're a knowledgeable buyer, that you don't need handholding, and that you don't respond well to being pitched.

The problem, of course, is that staff turnover at GC is very high, so "that guy" may not be there when you return.

I have found that the independent music stores (those few that remain) have less turnover, so it's more likely "that guy" is still there. Their inventory may be more limited, but most of the time they can order things for you that they don't normally stock, and most of the time they can match GC's prices. They'll have to take a lower margin to do it, because nobody else gets GC's wholesale prices, but they usually will take that hit to retain your business.

My Stuff
DRHollingsworth
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/27 16:19:15 (permalink)
True the turn over is high and usually the guys I build relationships with last about a year to a year and a half, sometimes two. The commission structure is all about push this product or push that product. I always tell them straight up. "You won't be able to make as much margin on me but you will with the next person that walks through the door. So let me tell you what I want today."

I've tried the local merchants and just haven't been as satisfied. They retain people longer, as around here most of the sales people are also the owners. Part of my problem has been instant gratification of going down getting a new guitar, amp, software or whatever and being able to get it home to play or use.

I guess it all boils down to what you are willing to put up with in building the relationship and what you expect to get out of it. hmm that came accross as rather crass.
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/27 16:55:03 (permalink)
I was in Best Buy the other day to pick up an HDMI cable; the only brand they had in stock was Monster, so I went to a different store. It occurs to me, that perhaps I should have informed BB of my decision.

Maybe it would have more impact to notify retailers that we won't purchase Monster products; if retailers wouldn't carry them as the primary line, or would at least supply other options, not as many people would buy them.
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/09/27 18:35:54 (permalink)
I buy from the small local store whenever I can, and I almost never ask them for a discount. Those guys deserve full margin, at least as far as I'm concerned. Why should they have to stretch to compete with GC on price when GC won't make an effort to compete with them on service and the overall shopping experience? I'd rather go to GC than order online, because I believe in keeping my money local, but they don't deserve to take business away from my neighborhood guys just because they can whore product out for a lower price.

Back on topic, though, I thought it would be okay to buy a Monster mic cable from my little indie music store. It's a decent enough cable, and it was probably a fair value for the money. Then I found out that Liberty makes mic cables. I thought it was so cool, I ordered mic cables that I didn't even need. With home made guitar cables, TrippLite power products, MIT, and Liberty mic cables, I need never buy another Monster product.
post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2007/09/29 05:44:25
JB1592
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/06 11:33:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: yep

Well, in fairness to Radio Shack, they are a running something of a niche business in terms of their connectors and adaptors and cables and such. That kind of stuff is the kind of thing that you typically have to make substantial margins on in order to justify keeping on hand.

No, they're running a sinking ship is what they're running. But that's neither here nor there and their atrocious business practices, terrible marketing strategies, and shameful treatment of their employees is not a subject I'll begin ranting on about in a thread where we should all be concentrating our disgust towards Monster Cable. Anyone that really wants to know about RS can research it on their own.

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Another point about Monster's pricing and margins is that not everyone who sells Monster Cable makes as much money on it as Radio Shack does. In JB1592's example, the Tandy Corp. would have a gross margin of about 87%, if the Radio Shed really paid $8 for that $60-retail cable. Small indie dealers, on the other hand, might have gross margins along the lines of 50% for Monster Cable (less on power products), which still might seem obscenely profitable to some, but differences far less than that are usually what spell the difference between making a profit and going out of business.

There's no need to defend RS. Well, not this time anyway. I wasn't complaining about their margins on this particular product, I was making a few key points:

1) The barely more than generic wholesale cost of Monster cable would indicate that there is little to no difference in manufacturing cost between the store brand and Monster. That would similarly seem to indicate little to no difference in quality.

2) The ENORMOUS margin that Monster offers is why they've managed to saturate the market so well. Once it was proven that consumers would pay such ridiculous prices for cables given the right marketing, it was a no-brainer for retailers to carry them. A HUGELY profitable item that the manufacturer spends a ton of money advertising for you and that people will be naive enough to buy... what's not to like? If I was running a big business, I'd carry Monster. It's not the retailers fault, it's good business sense.

Incidentally, Tandy Corp. doesn't exist anymore. They became RadioShack Corp. (NYSE:RSH) quite a while ago.
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/06 17:17:37 (permalink)
Incidentally, Tandy Corp. doesn't exist anymore. They became RadioShack Corp. (NYSE:RSH) quite a while ago.

Huh. Well I'll be damned. I thought I was going to get to call them Tandy Corp for the rest of my life. No matter; I'll settle for Radio Shed, Radio Barn, the 'Barn, the 'Shed, the ToolShed, whatever.

In defense of Monster, their cables are usually nicer than the store brand, though store brands and others have improved quite a lot in just the past few years, with the quality and variety of manufacturing in China coming along as it has. (No "lead paint" jokes, okay?) I like the high-end stuff partly because some of it is actually made in the U.S., albeit frequently with a combination of domestic and imported components, or even all imported components. But it is nice to have a product that's been put together by hand in your own country, no matter where you live. (No idea if Monster's making anything in the U.S. anymore.)

What disgusts me about Monster -- aside from the lawsuit stuff -- is the simple fact that so many stores carry it and most consumers never seem to question that it's what they should be buying. They put so much money into advertising and legal expenses to get the market penetration and the shakedown money that they're after, but I wonder how much serious design effort they put into making cables? The inequity here reminds me of a certain business entity that I'll tentatively call a "speaker" company. Its name comes from a talented electrical engineer, has four letters and starts with a "B". They've become a huge marketing company that offers an astounding variety of iPod docks, autosound, and computer speakers, along with their traditional line of profoundly not-very-good home audio speakers. Few people of reasonable intelligence take them seriously, and many will gladly buy up-market and/or down-market to avoid them.
post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2007/10/06 20:03:18
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/06 22:41:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler
No matter; I'll settle for Radio Shed, Radio Barn, the 'Barn, the 'Shed, the ToolShed, whatever.

I'm partial to "Radio Snack".

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
phrogbreath
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/10 23:05:38 (permalink)
Munster cable just plain Sounds BAD. Cable really matters and it's is not some subtle thing that only hard-core audiophiles and world-class mastering engineers can hear - the difference in detail is actually pretty stunning. My colleagues & I did a blind taste test a few months ago and the results were very impressive, even to the skeptics of the group who became instant converts. We even had a few lay-people in the control room with us and they had no problem whatsoever distinguishing between Munster and Mogami. Please feel free to try this for yourself.

I have a surprising GC story - the last time I went in there to buy a Mogami cable, the salesdood actually praised me for having the aural chops to choose it over Munster. When I was talking about how much better Mogami sounded he urged me to "please tell your friends".

Boycott Munster, if not for their business practices, then out sheer respect for your work. You can put a Brauner mic on a Stradivarius and if you run it through a munster cable, you might as well buy the venus de milo and use it as a hat rack.
rasmussen
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/13 03:54:51 (permalink)
i disagree. i ain't never heard no dfference in them fru-fru cables vs. good 'ol hosa...

phrogbreath hears things with his wallet...

Godspeed Triburion Quad-processor 4.7 ghz FBI issue notebook
Omnipotentiometer Orgasmatron MOBO
7 GB slaytron hyper shazam RAM
Savage Trend-master Ultra interface
Sonar 8.02 deity edition
squier strat, gorilla amp, galoshes

bitflipper
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/13 14:38:35 (permalink)
The main compromise with Hosa or generic cables is they tend to break easily, and the machine-formed connectors cannot be easily repaired. Particularly embarrassing when it happens on stage. But at five bucks a pop, they are disposable items.

And there are reasonable alternatives such as home-built cables with quality components that, when assembled with care, are every bit as good as any brand-name cables. I have home-made cables that have been in service since the 70's, and I wouldn't hesitate to put them up against any expensive store cables in a blind A/B test.

My Stuff
phrogbreath
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/13 15:03:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rasmussen

i disagree. i ain't never heard no dfference in them fru-fru cables vs. good 'ol hosa...

phrogbreath hears things with his wallet...

Oh for cripes sake. Just for the record, folks, Mr. Rasmussen was one of the people who was there for the test that we did. He's just sore 'cause he has to go buy a bunch of new cable now. That's why he steals mics out of our locker at 6:00 on a Friday evening without putting them on the gear checkout log...

Bitflip - you can definitely build quality cable (as in mogami/neutrik) for cheaper than you can buy monster. I've run the numbers and it's a fact. As for beating the price of Hosa, and the like, I don't know but that's immaterial as I wouldn't choose to run Hosa in my record path at any cost. You can even save a couple bucks by buying cable by the spool. Some of us at work (Mr. Rasmussen included, I might add...) have talked about going in on a big ol' spool and having a soldering party.
rasmussen
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/14 11:24:27 (permalink)
funny how a guy who has not changed drum heads or guitar strings since the clinton administration is spouting the virtues of quality cables ;-)

Godspeed Triburion Quad-processor 4.7 ghz FBI issue notebook
Omnipotentiometer Orgasmatron MOBO
7 GB slaytron hyper shazam RAM
Savage Trend-master Ultra interface
Sonar 8.02 deity edition
squier strat, gorilla amp, galoshes

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/14 14:42:49 (permalink)
Here, looks like you two might need this:

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
chipstar
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 15:29:42 (permalink)
LOL!!!! That is too damn funny. Brilliant.
chipstar
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 15:33:30 (permalink)
BTW, thanks for all of this info. I have been using Monster's overpriced cables for a while but I didn't know about all of this. I had a few hundred dollars of MC gear wishlisted for future purchase but I went immediately changed it to Mogami cables and a Furman power condiitioner. I was actually able to get a better power conditioner with all of the saved cash. Very cool.

later,
Chipstar
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 15:42:38 (permalink)
Good move. Now replace the Furman with a Tripp-Lite, and you'll get even more value for the money.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
chipstar
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 15:51:05 (permalink)
I'll check into. Thanks bro!

later,
Chipstar
bitflipper
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 16:27:10 (permalink)
Glad to see this thread's still alive! 201 posts and over 5,000 views. Combined with the many similar threads on just about every other music-related forum on the 'net, maybe, just maybe we'll successfully get the word out.

It'll take a lot to counter testimonials like this one: Steve Tyler Monster Cable Ad. At least he doesn't attempt to make any technical arguments.

My Stuff
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 18:06:33 (permalink)
I don't think I would believe him if he tried to make technical arguments! I'm sure a lot of folks would say the same. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE most of his music - he's a great artist...but I don't think of him when I think of a technically knowledgable artist. I could be wrong.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/18 21:15:11 (permalink)
i think his big mouth should count for something.

- jack the ex-cynic
HaleBopp
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/19 10:38:13 (permalink)
I haven't bought any Monster cables and I never will. Just coming here to say that I'm joining (and enjoying) the boycott. Spread the word!
Mark D.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/10/24 03:37:01 (permalink)
I used to use their cable. It does sound better than Mogami or standard cables by Horizon, Canare, Belden, etc.
Sorry. It does to me. I mean the Studio Pro 1000, the others have lesser benefits. I did until I discovered that a
host of other small company botique cables were out there. One in particular graces everything I use to connect
audio now. And it sounds better than Moster's best for about the same price. I won't mention it, please don't ask
as I don't want to appear as if I'm marketing something. I still use a Monster higher end power strip...that cleans
the power and has superior surge protection to standard surge protectors. Again ... sorry. But I bought it so long
before I learned of what this thread's about. But I wasn't planning on buying from them again anyway...so it's ok.
I also have unusually sensitive hearing for high end and phase, don't think I'm bragging, it's more a curse and it'll
take me so long to mix / master things because of it and many common sounds drive me nuts. So I expect those
smaller improvements I notice just enough to justify 'better cable' may go unnoticed by others. That's just fine.
post edited by Mark D. - 2007/10/25 20:29:06

www.westernmastering.com  Production ... Mixing ... Mastering
DRHollingsworth
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/11/01 11:19:31 (permalink)
First I thought i'd bounce this back to the top as it shouldn't be forgotten.

Next, Mark D. I don't think we would take it as if you were trying to market something for anyone in particular. Opinions are what they are and if you throw a name out there for us we could get a few cables and check it out for ourselves. It's better to let others know of what you discovered than to leave us to stumble upon a particular brand haphazardly. I think if you shared some of us might benefit. I myself am going through a new studio build up and would love to see/hear some alternatives.
post edited by DRHollingsworth - 2007/11/05 17:06:26
chipstar
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/11/01 12:23:31 (permalink)
I like your prognosis Doc. Come on Mark D, tell what it is.

later,
Chipstar
zeypxun
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 918
RE: Boycott Monster Cable 2007/11/25 17:38:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: albiedamned

Verizon FIOS also gives you an HDMI cable for free. The guy at Best Buy tried real hard to sell me an HDMI cable (probably Monster, but I forget) when we bought our TV, and told me point blank that I was wrong when I told him Verizon would be giving me one.

ha ha! I remember when I worked at a local computer store about 7 months ago we sold hdmi cables from $5 to $10. People who knew how much they were at CC or BB were so shocked they thought they would never work.

Anyways has Monster Cable sued Cookie Monster yet?

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1