Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 17:56:48 (permalink)
Michael Lee

Hi Lynn,
  Tried to PM you, no joy, can you accept a PM about Jamstix?
Thanks
Michael Lee

Sure, I'd be happy to accept your message about Jamstix.  Do I have to do anything in particular?  I'll only be online until the Jets/Steelers game begins.  BTW, after 4 hours of recording today, no problems.  I'm about done for the day, but I'll be in the studio all day tomorrow.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Lynn
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:03:33 (permalink)
Etostone

I get no crashes when I don't push the system to the limits.
But when CPU gets at 70 % using sonar x64 bit at win 7 , things are not stable . 

So far, my CPU peaks out around 15 to 20 percent at 30 to 40 tracks with various f/x and V-Vocal instances happening at once.  I have no idea how many tracks you are using or how many plugs, let alone what your system is like, but I would guess that you have a lot happening at once.  When I get some spare time I'll listen to some of your songs to get a feel for what you are doing.  Good luck and thanks for replying.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:23:57 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

I've spent about 3 days so far transferring each track over, meaning, not bouncing the audio but recreating the synths, effects, bins, etc. I cant even tell you how many crashes happen per song transfer, but I can say S1 has never crashed or had any hic up, ever.

Hi Scott, Billy, and other S1 users,

Aside from the performance, how do you deal with the lack of certain features in S1?
  • Track Folders
  • More esoteric MIDI configuration/editing
  • Per clip EFX
  • Etc
I see a lot to like in S1... but the lack of certain "common" features is a turn-off.
On the flip side, the integrated mastering functions look sweet.
In particular, the fact that you can make changes to the mix (automatically updating the master).
After some time has passed (listening to a 'final' mix), I often find myself wanting to goose the levels a dB here/there.  

Jim,

In fairness, I can't answer everything in detail because I'm no expert with Studio One (yet) by any means.   However ...

It's my understanding Track Folders are in the works there.  I would like them as well, but I also don't "have" to have them.  Group Tracks can be useful in the meanwhile (similar to Ableton Live).

As for "esoteric MIDI configuration" - I just don't know what ya mean LOL.

I see some things that are drawbacks for me, for now -- such as not having groove-clips (they do it another way but not as elegantly, imho).   The PRV seems fine though -- and frankly very similar to every other host (including Sonar).   Nothing that holds me back so far.

As for Clip FX - I honestly don't know.  I haven't gotten deep enough to know if it has that or not.

The integrated Mastering is definitely sweet.  Really sweet.  And it's well thought out.  Their interface is smart and functional.

Like any piece of software, there's is always the "obvious" stuff (where one doesn't need a manual to use it) and then there is the real deep stuff (where one discovers by a long experience with a product - AND by reading the manual - AND by seeing how others use it).

As much as X1 is 'new' in some areas, the basic paradigm is the same it's always been, give or take a new feature here and there.   So, in effect, I can still feel I can go deeper in Sonar just due to my years of experience with the core product.

I can't say that (yet) about S1.  But I can say - and have - that there's an awful lot to like.   I DO think it has some growing/maturing to do in some areas.   But I can say that about X1 now too.

I do not think S1 is a toy however.  The features seem to be well thought out and not (sorry to use the term) half-baked.   Some of the approaches taken in S1 definitely make me wish they were in Sonar.     AND VISA VERSA.

So again, as I've said before, there's a lot to like in both products.   What Studio One doesn't have, which may or may not be a big deal, is the need to be backward compatible.  So I have to think that the code is less encumbered by such need to be backward compatible as X1 must be.

In the end, my feeling is (and I have stated this a number of times on the forum, sorry) that I will continue to explore S1 and upgrade it as I am Sonar.

If I had a choice, I'd want X1 to get to the place where I can be using it all the time as I do 8.5.3 at this point -- but it's just not there for me yet.  And neither is Studio One.

But they really are BOTH good and I want to have BOTH now, and will do so.

I wish I could answer your specific questions in more detail, and maybe when I think I've become more of a deep/power user of S1 I can, but that's not possible at this time.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:25:18 (permalink)
Lynn

Etostone

But when CPU gets at 70 % using sonar x64 bit at win 7 , things are not stable . 

So far, my CPU peaks out around 15 to 20 percent at 30 to 40 tracks with various f/x and V-Vocal instances happening at once.  I have no idea how many tracks you are using or how many plugs, let alone what your system is like, but I would guess that you have a lot happening at once.  When I get some spare time I'll listen to some of your songs to get a feel for what you are doing.  Good luck and thanks for replying.

Lynn,  I'm curious as to how you know your CPU "percentage" in X1 since it only has those bar graphs.  Are you using some external way to determine that?

(PS - I wiSH we could see the actual percentage again).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Lynn
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:32:19 (permalink)
ba_midi

Lynn

Etostone

Lynn,  I'm curious as to how you know your CPU "percentage" in X1 since it only has those bar graphs.  Are you using some external way to determine that?

(PS - I wiSH we could see the actual percentage again).

Billy, I'm just making an educated guess here by eyeballing the meter.  I, too, wish we could see the actual percentage again.  I'm also curious to know how one gets their CPU up to 70% using W7x64.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:41:24 (permalink)
Billy, I'm just making an educated guess here by eyeballing the meter. I, too, wish we could see the actual percentage again. I'm also curious to know how one gets their CPU up to 70% using W7x64.

I suspect we're not going to get a "true readout" CPU in X1.   Too bad.  Studio One comes with a REALLY cool "performance" system, as does Reaper.

I, for one, think such things are extremely useful.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Lynn
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 18:50:22 (permalink)
ba_midi

Billy, I'm just making an educated guess here by eyeballing the meter. I, too, wish we could see the actual percentage again. I'm also curious to know how one gets their CPU up to 70% using W7x64.

I suspect we're not going to get a "true readout" CPU in X1.   Too bad.  Studio One comes with a REALLY cool "performance" system, as does Reaper.

I, for one, think such things are extremely useful.

Maybe our friend Benstat will figure out a way to incorporate this function in a future version of X1 helper.  If you haven't downloaded this amazing utility already, you owe it to yourself to do so.  It has been a great time saver for me, and has brought some functionality back to X1.  I can't praise him enough.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 20:31:44 (permalink)
Hey Lynn!

I will high-jack your thread now:

to tell you that your song and video "Rivers of the Sky" is absolutely beautiful! That's really well done!! Thanks for sharing

OK, done high-jacking

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Lynn
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 20:41:58 (permalink)
ProjectM

Hey Lynn!

I will high-jack your thread now:

to tell you that your song and video "Rivers of the Sky" is absolutely beautiful! That's really well done!! Thanks for sharing

OK, done high-jacking

Thank you very much.  I'm so happy to share that with you as are my friends.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

DeveryH
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 780
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 21:12:46 (permalink)
ba_midi

I do not think S1 is a toy however.  The features seem to be well thought out and not (sorry to use the term) half-baked.   Some of the approaches taken in S1 definitely make me wish they were in Sonar.     AND VISA VERSA.

No, you are right, it is not a toy. I was able to spend a lot of time with it today and was actually impressed (thanks to being able to use the included Kore VST). I will definitely spend more time with it since it's here on my laptop. I also got more familiar with MIDI editing. It's strange how S1 is like X1 lol!
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 21:15:40 (permalink)
spanky

ba_midi

No, you are right, it is not a toy. I was able to spend a lot of time with it today and was actually impressed (thanks to being able to use the included Kore VST). I will definitely spend more time with it since it's here on my laptop. I also got more familiar with MIDI editing. It's strange how S1 is like X1 lol!

You mean X1 is like S1.
DeveryH
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 21:27:18 (permalink)
Yes
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 22:24:39 (permalink)
spanky

ba_midi

Spanky,

I think your post is a good example of how "spending time" with a program makes a big difference (pro and con).

Watching this forum for weeks since the X1 release is a sample of that too ...  some who loved it out of the box have stumbled into more bugs as they use it, and others who stumbled at first are 'getting to know' it better.

It's an interesting phase to watch for sure.

But, that being said - Studio One Artist version is limited (no VST plugin support for example).  I have the Pro version so I get all the features.

As for the editing being similar between the two - I think it's safe to say it's similar to ALL hosts out there (at least the ones I've tried).   There's only so many ways to peel a banana, so to speak ;)

But the more you play with the audio engine, see how they handle "fly out" strips on their mixer / console, etc, the more you'll wish Sonar had those.

However, Track Folders, Groove Clipping, and a number of other features we have and have had for a LONG time in Sonar (even X1) is not there in Studio One (yet).

So once again - it's a great world in the DAW world but far from a perfect one still ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 22:26:23 (permalink)
10Ten

spanky

ba_midi

You mean X1 is like S1.
I have to admit - I agree.   X1 definitely is trying to be 'more' like S1 than S1 is to X1.

And that's when CW opened up the can worms for me (and others) to want to see what the hoopla was all about (S1).

But don't kid yourself - there's a bunch of things that one could say S1 either 'learned' / "borrowed" or stole from Sonar as well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 22:47:29 (permalink)
ba_midi

10Ten

spanky

ba_midi

You mean X1 is like S1.
I have to admit - I agree.   X1 definitely is trying to be 'more' like S1 than S1 is to X1.

And that's when CW opened up the can worms for me (and others) to want to see what the hoopla was all about (S1).

But don't kid yourself - there's a bunch of things that one could say S1 either 'learned' / "borrowed" or stole from Sonar as well.

they all borrow from one another, but S1 was doing the UI thing before Sonar and it almost seems like Cake felt the heat from it.
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 22:51:55 (permalink)
they all borrow from one another, but S1 was doing the UI thing before Sonar and it almost seems like Cake felt the heat from it.

No argument from me there.  S1 has been doing this for 2 years.  X1 has some catching up to do in this area as well.

But to be fair, they each have strengths and weaknesses (as I keep saying).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 07:38:20 (permalink)
And Studio One seem to have taken a lot from Logic (from version 8) which was released a year before. But as far as my knowledge goes, it was when Tracktion came out (2002) the whole One-Window Audio and MIDI DAW thing seemed to become, er, logic...

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 10:50:32 (permalink)
suspect we're not going to get a "true readout" CPU in X1. Too bad. Studio One comes with a REALLY cool "performance" system, as does Reaper. I, for one, think such things are extremely useful.

+1

I miss the percentage CPU use display
IMO, It should be added to X1

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 10:56:47 (permalink)
Isn't there a performance module hidden on the right side of the top bar?

What does it do/not do that the previous cpu meter did?

best regards,
mike

Jim Roseberry
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 12:05:23 (permalink)
But as far as my knowledge goes, it was when Tracktion came out (2002) the whole One-Window Audio and MIDI DAW thing seemed to become, er, logic...

Tracktion was the catalist that started (some) folks thinking about new/better GUI design.
I liked things about Tracktion... (but not the GUI as a whole)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 12:09:41 (permalink)

It seems to me that the docking/screenset window is being pushed by Microsoft development on a broad scale.

It's every where... and I have yet to enjoy it any where I encounter it... it's like a return to DOS.

I like "windows" regardless of whether they are on Win, Mac, or Linux.

Jim Roseberry
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 12:10:33 (permalink)
Isn't there a performance module hidden on the right side of the top bar? What does it do/not do that the previous cpu meter did?

Hi Mike,

You get a performance meter with bar-graph style display showing the load for each CPU core (no numeric percentage display).
Looks like a numeric percentage display would fit above the bar-graph  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 12:13:05 (permalink)
Roger That... I'll with hold my comments because I'm trying to forget it all and get back to thinking about music!!!

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 13:31:50 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Isn't there a performance module hidden on the right side of the top bar?

What does it do/not do that the previous cpu meter did?

best regards,
mike
The CPU portion is just bar graphs without numerical readouts.   Not as useful. 

Woops, Jim beat me to it ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Lynn
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 13:52:58 (permalink)
So far, I'm 4 hours into my session without a hiccup or a burp.  This is the third day of trouble free recording and mixing, so I'm getting encouraged.  I have about 4 or 5 more hours to go today, so I will report back later.  In the meantime, you all have a nice day, and for those in the North, stay warm.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 14:23:06 (permalink)
Lynn

So far, I'm 4 hours into my session without a hiccup or a burp.  This is the third day of trouble free recording and mixing, so I'm getting encouraged.  I have about 4 or 5 more hours to go today, so I will report back later.  In the meantime, you all have a nice day, and for those in the North, stay warm.
Lynn, I'm almost getting a kick out of this thread...  10 hours here, 4/5 hours there .... imagine paying a real studio for time and saying "Hey, we made it through 10 hours without a crash" ?  LOL

I think it's great you're getting in a few hours here and there, but I sure wish I could feel like saying "I've made through 10 months without a crash" -- that would be bragging rights ;)

And ... What's the opposite of the temps in Hell?   NYC Weather today ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jim Roseberry
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 15:36:30 (permalink)
And ... What's the opposite of the temps in Hell? NYC Weather today ;)

Last night, it was a balmy 3 degrees here...     

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 16:31:08 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

And ... What's the opposite of the temps in Hell? NYC Weather today ;)

Last night, it was a balmy 3 degrees here...     

Not Farenheit??? Celcius? If we had 3 degrees celcius here i'd be a happy camper! but if your talking farenheit then whoo! I'm glad I'm here! That's freezing!!!

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
DeveryH
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 16:45:08 (permalink)
ba_midi

Lynn

Lynn, I'm almost getting a kick out of this thread...  10 hours here, 4/5 hours there .... imagine paying a real studio for time and saying "Hey, we made it through 10 hours without a crash" ?  LOL

I think it's great you're getting in a few hours here and there, but I sure wish I could feel like saying "I've made through 10 months without a crash" -- that would be bragging rights ;)

And ... What's the opposite of the temps in Hell?   NYC Weather today ;)

You are correct ba_midi. But, you have to remember that Lynn was having problems not to long ago because of a driver. Stability is what we expect, stability is what we need. His environment was unstable for a while; of course he is a little tentative and excited with his reattained stability.
Jim Roseberry
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/24 17:32:17 (permalink)
Not Farenheit???

That's 3 degrees Farenheit  
Been that way for the past few days
Right now... it's 27 degrees (almost ready to break out the short-sleeves) 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1