Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:10:31 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Once again I must point out that many of us use more than one host, many of us have a TON of '3rd party' plugins that would need reauthorizing, and many of us have complex setups that would need careful and time-consuming attention to recreate. It sounds to me like you don't really use a lot of 3rd party apps that need reauthorizing, or that you have a lot more time than I do :) But it certainly would take WAY more than "an evening" for me to have my system back up after a complete restart/reformat.

While I can certainly appreciate the time it takes to install/authorize a boatload of apps/plugins (high Greg M ), if it solves the problem... then it's better to bite the bullet and take the day/s or week to get the project finished.  With the backup image tools we have, it shouldn't take that long to try a clean OS install... and install/test a small handful of plugins that exhibited problems.  If the issues persist, reload the backup image file... and you're out a few hours time (knowing the clean OS/install isn't a solution).

The amount of time reinstalling/authorizing would surely be less than the number of hours required to become an advanced user of another DAW application.  

Jim, as I've said, it certainly can be a good approach if all else fails or if every other app is also having problems.  But I do think it's a red herring in some cases where the 'system' is not really suspect.

Sure, one could go through all of that to prove it out -- but I still say that if, let's say, 2 or 3 other host applications don't exhibit any problems, why would one be motivated to go through all that reformatting/reinstalling ?  And does it not suggest a software problem rather than hardware problem in that case?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:11:53 (permalink)
@Jim

Just curious, when you say to test X1 on the cleanest install, do you mean no additional hardware as well besides the obvious? Should the people going for this approach wait with Midi controllers, control surfaces, pen tablets etc?

Btw, what you said about the huge samplelibraries - I definitely agree. Having them on it's own dedicated drive saves days of copying files. Then you get away with an evenings worth of looking at the blue bar rather than a month;)

@Bub
I'm really looking forward to hear how you experience this. All the best for you and I hope that some of your troubles go away so you can enjoy X1 even before X1b comes out;) Good luck!
post edited by ProjectM - 2011/01/25 17:13:12

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:25:54 (permalink)
I'll try and have a go at it tonight and see what happens.

I'll report my findings. :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:28:39 (permalink)
Cool. Good luck!

BTW: Congrats on your 1000th post!! Cheers!

And your sig: Don't get mad, get even, right?

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:29:31 (permalink)
There's got to be something to the hardware/software/system theory.

I know there's a few, okay more than a few bugs, but I've seen nothing but stability in the way X1 works. I feel for those having trouble though it's real strange how there's such a diverse view on it's stability.
Jind
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 878
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:33:12 (permalink)
I do think that Jim and others have surfaced a very important point that I hope is pretty clear to all users of any computer system and it's applications in any business critical or even personally important scenario - that point being, if you are really serious about your working environment, you should have the ability to refresh your system easily and in quick order.  We invest so much money in our DAW systems and in many cases we don't invest in an adequate back-up/system restore solution.  Disc imaging of a clean build and incremental backups have saved my digital life far too many times fro me not to take being able to restore my system to not only a "virgin" install of the OS, but to get my personal data and OS configurations back quickly.

To those hemming and hawing about the need to do a clean install to "truly" troubleshoot a problem, please ask your self have you taken seriously enough your environment and how a minimal investment in a good solution for quick restores/rebuilds would allow you to solve problems with little risk to your working environment and possible provide for definitive answers for where the problem is.  Is it your system or the software causing the issue? Until one truly eliminates all variables you will never know.

As always individual mileage may vary.

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:40:35 (permalink)
Surely those making a living out of this image their drives at least weekly, if not daily?

I'm a bedroom amateur and even I image my system once a week and keep them for three. That way if there's a problem I can go back at least two weeks to a 'last known good configuration' without too much trouble.
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:49:53 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Surely those making a living out of this image their drives at least weekly, if not daily?

I'm a bedroom amateur and even I image my system once a week and keep them for three. That way if there's a problem I can go back at least two weeks to a 'last known good configuration' without too much trouble.

Once a week?! That's keeping safe! I'm slightly more lazy than you there. I make an image of my system only after a new significant install of something, also keeping the last three at all times. But I back up my documents and files to an external harddrive at least once a week and before I travel somewhere for more than a couple of days - and I keep the back up drive in a safe at the other studio I work at in case of fire/flood/rodent invasion/whatever.

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:53:33 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

There's got to be something to the hardware/software/system theory.

I know there's a few, okay more than a few bugs, but I've seen nothing but stability in the way X1 works. I feel for those having trouble though it's real strange how there's such a diverse view on it's stability.

This is usually the case with all software, from what I can tell.

I think the main problem is that it's difficult to know in some situations.   As example:   a new user bought the software and isn't very computer savvy, comes on the forum and says it's crashing all the time.   There is a greater likelihood that in this case it is 'system' problems or configuration problems (drivers, etc).

Then there are the experienced users who have problems.  Hard to argue that, but yet the argument will occur.

Then there are the bugs none of us know about (yet).   And of course other reasons I won't go into.

And so on...   so I think that's why it's almost _normal_ to see / hear such divergent comments.  And I think it applies moreso to complex software such as DAW hosts (Sonar, etc).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 17:57:36 (permalink)
Jind

I do think that Jim and others have surfaced a very important point that I hope is pretty clear to all users of any computer system and it's applications in any business critical or even personally important scenario - that point being, if you are really serious about your working environment, you should have the ability to refresh your system easily and in quick order.  We invest so much money in our DAW systems and in many cases we don't invest in an adequate back-up/system restore solution.  Disc imaging of a clean build and incremental backups have saved my digital life far too many times fro me not to take being able to restore my system to not only a "virgin" install of the OS, but to get my personal data and OS configurations back quickly.

To those hemming and hawing about the need to do a clean install to "truly" troubleshoot a problem, please ask your self have you taken seriously enough your environment and how a minimal investment in a good solution for quick restores/rebuilds would allow you to solve problems with little risk to your working environment and possible provide for definitive answers for where the problem is.  Is it your system or the software causing the issue? Until one truly eliminates all variables you will never know.

Jind,

I assume you're lumping me into the "hemming and hawing" crowd, so I'll say that I do have image backups, and have for many years.  I can easily get back to a previous state when/if need be.   That is not the same as starting a system over from scratch, though.

And I have to say - yet again - if one's system is not experiencing problems with other host software that can be a sign that the one that is giving problems is the culprit.
Of course without some degree of trouble shooting all of this, one would never know.  BUT if one does a good job of trouble shooting and still discovers the problem with the one piece of software, I think that's a pretty basic hit.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:00:01 (permalink)
I have a sneaking suspicion that we've high-jacked Lynn's thread...

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:01:05 (permalink)
ProjectM

LOL yeah he's probably busy makin' music while we're typing all this stuff ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:03:59 (permalink)
Yeah, good on him! ha ha, that's the more sensible thing to do. I mean, shouldn't we be doing the same?

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Bub
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:04:35 (permalink)
ProjectM

Cool. Good luck!

Thanks. :)

Wow! I didn't even notice! Man, I really got to get a job and stop spending so much time here! :)

I laugh every time I read it. It was one of the funniest lines I think I've ever seen. It's an exact quote by the way. It doesn't seem to read quite right, but that's part of what makes it so funny to me!

:)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:07:30 (permalink)
Bub

ProjectM

Cool. Good luck!

Wow! I didn't even notice! Man, I really got to get a job and stop spending so much time here! :)

I laugh every time I read it. It was one of the funniest lines I think I've ever seen. It's an exact quote by the way. It doesn't seem to read quite right, but that's part of what makes it so funny to me!

Or, you can become a wealthy rockstar. That's in my new 5-year plan now. Then you can type here all day when not working in the studio

I read that thread and remember the quote. No disrespect for Thomasbarnes from me, but I had to chuckle when I saw it in your sig

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:22:57 (permalink)
Sure, one could go through all of that to prove it out -- but I still say that if, let's say, 2 or 3 other host applications don't exhibit any problems, why would one be motivated to go through all that reformatting/reinstalling ? And does it not suggest a software problem rather than hardware problem in that case?

I would tend to agree with that assumption...  
But at the same time, it's (relatively) easy to prove out.
If you create a current backup image file... you can always revert to where you are now.
If you've had several particular steps (or plugins) that were causing specific issues, you could test those without having to reinstall a week's worth of apps.  I know that's a royal PITA. 
I just went thru it (again) building my 4.5GHz SandyBridge based DAW.

Using C++ errors as an example, that is a problem that could show up in one host... but affect none of the others.

In the end, it's your machine/decision/etc...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:37:37 (permalink)
ba_midi

ProjectM

ProjectM

LOL, actually I just finished mixing my last two songs and burning them to disc to listen to on my drive to work tomorrow.  I'm happy to report that I'm now in day 4 of trouble free recording and mixing.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that the new driver for my FF400 is getting along much better with Sonar.  I thought about going back into 8.53 to see if it was more stable ( I had a dickens of a time with that version ), but I know my way around X1 so well, at this point, that I don't feel an urgency to do so.  I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and I've learned something - it's time that I learn to use my backup software so I don't lose this magic moment.  You've all been great, and it's good to belong to such a great forum.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
Bub
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:41:16 (permalink)
Ohh ... one other thing I wanted to ask, them I'm shutting down and starting the backup/restore process and I'll check back later to see if anyone has answered or knows ...

I was looking at some settings whilst tweaking my system. I came across some USB settings that showed how much bandwidth my USB devices were using. It said my Fast Track Ultra was using 14%. Is this normal, and is there a way to reserve more bandwidth for a device? 14% seems awful low for such a critical device and made me wonder if some of my problem's aren't stemming from the FTU. It was in Device Manager under one of the USB things listed.

Shutting down now, I'll be back later. Hopefully. :)

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:51:29 (permalink)
ProjectM

Yeah, good on him! ha ha, that's the more sensible thing to do. I mean, shouldn't we be doing the same?

Well I had to be at my desk all day today answering client calls, etc and working with my programmer, so I could multi-task and be on here as well.
But trust me, in about 30 minutes I'll be making music as I usually do every night!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:52:57 (permalink)
Bub

ProjectM

Cool. Good luck!

Gee, Bub - over a 1000 posts and now you too can become part of that "users with high post counts" that seems to get thrown around here (as if post count determines quality) ;)

Welcome to the club bub (yeah that rhymes ;) )

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:53:15 (permalink)
@Jim Just curious, when you say to test X1 on the cleanest install, do you mean no additional hardware as well besides the obvious? Should the people going for this approach wait with Midi controllers, control surfaces, pen tablets etc?

If you're having major issues... and you're stuck in 'limbo', I do think it makes sense to strip the machine down to a clean OS install with bare minimum hardware.  
Create a backup image file prior to doing this... and you can always get back to where you are (prior to testing).

If the machine works as expected, then you can make an interim backup image file... and proceed to add plugins and other applications (testing along the way).
If the application doesn't perform as expected (with only the barest of essentials installed), that's a strong indicator that the problem is software specific.  This assumes that hardware (like a bad stick of RAM) isn't the culprit.  Note:  I'm not saying Bill, Scott, etc are experiencing hardware problems.  

Everyone has their own approach.
All I know is... (for me), I'd want to know for sure that the core hardware is OK.
If so, I'd strip the machine down to the barest essentials and test with a clean OS install.
If I was still having major issues, then I'd be virtually certain the problem is software specific.
I'd expect that some bugs in more "esoteric" use would/could "slip thru the cracks".
It doesn't make much sense to me that major stability issues (in basic use) would slip thru the cracks of beta-testing.  Not saying that it couldn't happen... but I'd think that would be rare.

This is just how I'd approach the situation if I was having major issues.
I'm not trying to inflame/irritate/etc... or infer that anyone hasn't done the above.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 18:55:16 (permalink)
Lynn

ba_midi

ProjectM

ProjectM

LOL, actually I just finished mixing my last two songs and burning them to disc to listen to on my drive to work tomorrow.  I'm happy to report that I'm now in day 4 of trouble free recording and mixing.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that the new driver for my FF400 is getting along much better with Sonar.  I thought about going back into 8.53 to see if it was more stable ( I had a dickens of a time with that version ), but I know my way around X1 so well, at this point, that I don't feel an urgency to do so.  I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and I've learned something - it's time that I learn to use my backup software so I don't lose this magic moment.  You've all been great, and it's good to belong to such a great forum.

Lynn, at least this does  seem like a case of simple driver updating.   It's a great thing when things can be that simple.

I wish you continued and many great sessions :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jind
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 878
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:00:45 (permalink)
ba_midi

Jind,

I assume you're lumping me into the "hemming and hawing" crowd, so I'll say that I do have image backups, and have for many years.  I can easily get back to a previous state when/if need be.   That is not the same as starting a system over from scratch, though.

And I have to say - yet again - if one's system is not experiencing problems with other host software that can be a sign that the one that is giving problems is the culprit.
Of course without some degree of trouble shooting all of this, one would never know.  BUT if one does a good job of trouble shooting and still discovers the problem with the one piece of software, I think that's a pretty basic hit.

Not lumping anyone in particular - just an observation.  While your assumption may be a possibility, and in many cases, likely, it is still far from a definitive answer, which is what I personally would be looking for if troubleshooting my system.  Like Jim pointed out - you can get your system back in with very little effort if good backups are kept.  The effort involved may ultimately resolve a persons issue without ever having to assume anything.

Once again - just a personal opinion and approach.  I'd rather know than guess or assume - if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but at least I know it's not that thing I assumed it was not. 

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:01:30 (permalink)
ba_midi

Jind

Jind,

Hiya ba_midi:

Some days ago, I tried to suggest to mudgel (in this post: http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2205965) , the same things that Jim Roseberry is advising Bub to do, which is to try troubleshooting with a fresh basic installation of Windows .

What you say "if one's system is not experiencing problems with other host software that can be a sign that the one that is giving problems is the culprit," could be true, But.... if one is experiencing such show stopping issues, as mudgel described he was experiencing, which is performance so bad that X1 was unusable, yet other users are reporting that X1 is working/running well for them, that would be enough for me to think to try X1 out on a freash install of Windows. But let me stress I made this choice because I was having a minute issue with a gaming app that I use (not wanting to create a shortcut to a game on my desktop. A small matter, but it erks me, as I want everything to work as it's suppose to), and because I regard SONAR to be the most important App on my PC.  In other words, by performing the fresh install of windows I could knock out 2 birds with one stone (install the newest version of SONAR on a fresh install and fix my gaming app problem), by performing a fresh install of Windows

Some still are reluctant to do this, even though they may have a image of a fresh install of Windows. I suspect in mudgel's case, he has a great working 8.5 install on the machine he uses for business, he's running out of free time, and maybe he just doesn't want to go through this process with his business machine, as he recalls a number of reports here that a disturbing amount of other users are also having problems similar to his, and he may esteem himself, as others probably esteem themselves, of having the know-how to estimate that his PC is fine because other apps are running great, including a previous version of SONAR, and surely no re-install of Windows will make a difference.

In case you need to be reminded, X1 is the product of some fundamental software changes, so fundamental that, in my opinion, early versions of SONAR can't be compared in such a way that one will think X1 should run OK on a particular system because an early SONAR version runs well. The new graphics engine alone, is reason enough, I think, to alter that mindset. Plus there's the new GUI overhaul.

What I fail to see, however, is if those having these showstopping experiences have installed X1 on a fresh install of Windows. I did and X1 is running fairly stable with few problem for me, and the way I use it to do what I want. Another thing that probably makes users reluctant to take on troubleshooting to this extent of a fresh install of Windows, is the possibility that the problems may not be resolved. Like I said, SONAR is the most important App on my PC, I was willing to start using X1 from a fresh install of Windows. I reckon it's just a choice an individual will have to make him/herself.

I initially installed X1 using a fresh install of Windows, but I do report that X1 is running well for me.

post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/01/25 19:12:55

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:01:36 (permalink)
Lynn

ProjectM

That's good to hear, I'm happy for you successfull sollution. Keep those good tunes coming. I really enjoyed checking out your soundclick page.

yeah, back up your stuff! You never know when sh!t will hit the fan

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:05:01 (permalink)
ba_midi

ProjectM

Well I had to be at my desk all day today answering client calls, etc and working with my programmer, so I could multi-task and be on here as well.
But trust me, in about 30 minutes I'll be making music as I usually do every night!

I hate desk duty! I've been doing it since last week, typing up applications for some project funding and trying to land some deals, all the while editing some dubbed polarbears in the morning (don't ask - but it really sux)! I can't wait for thursday afternoon when this will be over and I can get back to do some proper work.

But I can steal some forum time - which is good

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:09:18 (permalink)
thomasabarnes

ba_midi

Jind

Jind,

Hiya ba_midi:

Some days ago, I tried to suggest to mudgel (in this post: http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2205965) , the same things that Jim Roseberry is advising Bub to do, which is to try troubleshooting with a fresh basic installation of Windows .

What you say "if one's system is not experiencing problems with other host software that can be a sign that the one that is giving problems is the culprit," could be true, But.... if one is experiencing such show stopping issues, as mudgel described he was experiencing, which is performance so bad that X1 was unusable, yet other users are reporting that X1 is working/running well for them, that would be enough for me to think to try X1 out on a freash install of Windows. But let me stress I made this choice because I was having a minute issue with a gaming app that I use (not wanting to create a shortcut to a game on my desktop. A small matter, but it erks me, as I want everything to work as it's suppose to), and because I regard SONAR to be the most important App on my PC.  In other words, by performing the fresh install of windows I could knock out 2 birds with one stone (install the newest version of SONAR on a fresh install and fix my gaming app problem), by performing a fresh install of Windows

Some still are reluctant to do this, even though they may have a image of a fresh install of Windows. I suspect in mudgel's case, he has a great working 8.5 install on the machine he uses for business, he's running out of free time, and maybe he just doesn't want to go through this process with his business machine, as he recalls of a number of reports here that a disturbing amount of other users are also having problems similar to his, and he may esteem, himself, as others, having the know-how to estimate that his PC is fine because other apps are running great, including a previous version of SONAR.

In case you need to be reminded, X1 is the product of some fundamental software changes, so fundamental that, in my opinion, early versions of SONAR can't be compared in such a way that one will think X1 should run OK on a particular system because an early SONAR version runs well. The new graphics engine alone, is reason enough, I think, to alter that mindset. Plus there's the new GUI overhaul.

What I fail to see, however, is if those having these showstopping experiences have installed X1 on a fresh install of Windows. I did and X1 is running fairly stable with few problem for me, and the way I use it to do what I want. Another thing that probably makes users reluctant to take on troubleshooting to this extent of a fresh install of Windows, is the possibility that the problems may not be resolved. Like I said, SONAR is the most important App on my PC, I was willing to start using X1 from a fresh install of Windows. I reckon it's just a choice an individual will have to make him/herself.

I initially installed X1 using a fresh install of Windows, but I do report that X1 is running well for me.

I don't disagree with any of the comments about reinstalling or freshening a system.  These are definitely advisable when circumstance warrants.  No argument from me in that regard.

And I was at the point with X1 where it wasn't crashing on me any more (it was due to a mirror video driver for a remote control program, no fault of X1's), so I'm not worried about my system in particular.  X1 runs fine on it, other than the known bugs and a few that may not be so well known.

So my comments are strictly based on generalities.   We all know some users find bugs that others don't.  This is proven out just by Scott Lee's discovering which led Noel to be able to repro the bug and said it would be fixed in X1B.

And that's a classic example of how sometimes it is not the user's system at all.   Yet there will be all kinds of howls that it IS his system, and they go on for quite awhile - even after the bug has been reproduced!
SO I guess I'm just trying to keep some balance - even if only for my own self - that it is not always the system.  Sometimes it really is the software at fault.

Each case has to be examined independently, of course, unless there just happens to be some mass discovery of a problem that can clearly identify the software as the problem.

I think I'm just not in the mindset that it "always" is the user's system, though we all know there are cases where it is.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:12:28 (permalink)
ProjectM

ba_midi

ProjectM

I hate desk duty! I've been doing it since last week, typing up applications for some project funding and trying to land some deals, all the while editing some dubbed polarbears in the morning (don't ask - but it really sux)! I can't wait for thursday afternoon when this will be over and I can get back to do some proper work.

But I can steal some forum time - which is good

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's my company - so sometimes I have to man the phones.  Trust me, I'd rather be writing music or mixing, etc, allll day and night.

Um, good luck with the polar bears ... and no, I won't ask LOL

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ProjectM
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:20:49 (permalink)
ba_midi

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's my company - so sometimes I have to man the phones.  Trust me, I'd rather be writing music or mixing, etc, allll day and night. 

Um, good luck with the polar bears ... and no, I won't ask LOL

Yeah, the struggles of making a living I guess.

Thanks for not asking about the polar bears. I appreciate it

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/25 19:30:33 (permalink)
 it is not always the system.  Sometimes it really is the software at fault.

Each case has to be examined independently, of course, unless there just happens to be some mass discovery of a problem that can clearly identify the software as the problem.

I think I'm just not in the mindset that it "always" is the user's system, though we all know there are cases where it is.

I concur.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1