Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
2011/01/22 22:10:29 (permalink)

Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches

It's hard to believe that a couple weeks ago I was moaning and groaning about X1, and was somewhat apprehensive about its future.  However, a few days ago I upgraded the driver for my FF 400, and all has been well since.  Today I finished a 10 hour session; recording, editing, using V-Vocal for 2
hours, and mixing with no crashes or glitches.  Yesterday, I finished a 5 hour session with no problems.  I may have jinxed myself by saying this, but right now I'm a happier camper than I was a week ago.  It's amazing how much work one can get done when the recording medium is stable.  I just wonder can it really be as simple as that?  I can only hope so.  I'll let you know if I'm being premature, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400

152 Replies Related Threads

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/22 22:14:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like a successful period of time was had...good to hear that it seems to work for you.

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/22 22:53:59 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn,

Glad to hear its working better for you.

I've been in the process of transferring my album from Sonar X1 to S1. Im afraid to report, I barely can do 4 midi clip bounces (plus if they are groove clips, some clips disappear in the bounce process) before X1 either drops to the desktop or gives a crash error. The software is completely unreliable and in a horrific state after 16 years of being a avid user. I have never seen it like this, and it makes my honestly sad to even have to post this.

I've spent about 3 days so far transferring each track over, meaning,  not bouncing the audio but recreating the synths, effects, bins, etc. I cant even tell you how many crashes happen per song transfer, but I can say S1 has never crashed or had any hic up, ever.

Best Regards,
    post edited by Scott Lee - 2011/01/22 22:59:09

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Lynn
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/22 23:03:26 (permalink)
    Scott, I'm sorry to hear of your experience.  I was afraid that I was going to arrive at the same conclusion.  And who knows?  Maybe yesterday and today were the exceptions and not the norm.  I realize that we all have different systems and techniques, and there are so many variables that it's impossible to easily draw a conclusion at this point.  So many people are waiting for the next upgrade to magically cure all that it's becoming slightly surrealistic around here.  Thank you for taking the time to respond, and I hope all goes well for you.  I'd like to hear your album when it finished.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Etostone
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/22 23:47:30 (permalink)
    Good one , but try a heavier loaded project as well ! 

Etostone Music Producer/Mastering Engineer/Label Owner

- Visit my Main Site
    - Visit my Mastering Site
    - Visit my Label Site

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 01:41:25 (permalink)
    Glad you've got it sorted. I really feel for people having problems but there are some of us who aren't. Now if they'd just sort out some of those bugs............
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 01:59:31 (permalink)
    Great to hear it's going good for you, Lynn! :)

Sometimes it is as simple as a driver update. :)

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 06:01:59 (permalink)
    Good on ya, Lynn!

I'm happy to report that I also had a very productive day, worked from 3 PM until 6 this morning and no crashes, glitches, smooth as butter.
    Multiple tracks and FX, drag and dropping midi clips from the browser, etc., everything worked just as it should!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    DonaldDuck
    • Total Posts : 789
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 06:08:54 (permalink)
    With all the bickering on here about X1, i just tossed my upgrade in the closet.  This thread gives me hope that it could possibly be worthwhile to get it out and install it!  I run a semi-professional studio, so crashing is bad.  Clients aren't impressed with constantly crashing software...

Glad it's working for ya, Lynn!!!  It makes me wanna give it a whirl.  I hope you'll let us know if it starts crashing! ;) Everyone else sure does.. like every single.. hiccup... crash... flaw... opinion... and heck, I think some even make up stuff! haha All joking aside, let's hope the good luck continues!!!! 
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 06:13:04 (permalink)
    I think it's a case of learning what isn't safe to do and working with that in mind.
    I don't save Pod farm 2 patches while the track is playing anymore and I avoid loading too much kit into Superior Drummer 2.
    I'm trying to be patient with adding (and editing) notes in the piano roll and I'm sure constantly swapping the star and the pencil will become second nature one day.
    Overall I'm getting used to it, sometimes it's almost fun....

Grum.
    post edited by grumbleweed4162 - 2011/01/23 14:41:51

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 08:07:51 (permalink)
    I have posted in several threads over the last week or so. I run a pro level business. I can thankfully say, I have had no issues with X1 so far. I've finished a couple of projects already. The system was stable as a rock. The workflow,once I learned the interface well enough to get around, was very fast and makes sense. I have both versions of 8.5,32 and 64 bit, and both versions of X1a,32, and 64 bit, installed. For the first two weeks of trying to learn X1 I would open 8.5 projects in X1 try to learn as much as I could about it until I was comfortable enough to be ready to use it. Then I took on some smaller projects so I could try just using X1. The results, I am happy, my clients are astounded. Although, I still have the audiosnap issue I have reached a point where I can say when they fix Audiosnap, there will be no turning back to 8.5.
    I still stick to the philosophy that this is a brand new way of working and if you approach it that way, and with the proper fixes for your problems, you will find that the changes, in some cases have been for the better. I wish you all luck.
    DeveryH
    • Total Posts : 780
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 08:12:19 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

I've been in the process of transferring my album from Sonar X1 to S1. Im afraid to report, I barely can do 4 midi clip bounces (plus if they are groove clips, some clips disappear in the bounce process) before X1 either drops to the desktop or gives a crash error. The software is completely unreliable and in a horrific state after 16 years of being a avid user. I have never seen it like this, and it makes my honestly sad to even have to post this.

I've spent about 3 days so far transferring each track over, meaning,  not bouncing the audio but recreating the synths, effects, bins, etc. I cant even tell you how many crashes happen per song transfer, but I can say S1 has never crashed or had any hic up, ever.

Best Regards,

You'll be back. I checked out S1 and I'm not impressed at all. It's like a toy compared to Sonar. So it works for you, great! There's obviously something in your computer that isn't playing well with X1, hopefully a patch will fix that (or more troubleshooting time). But honestly? S1 over even Sonar 8.5?  Are you being honest or reactionary?

To the OP: Thanks for taking the time to remind people that even a simple change to one's computer can be the difference between a stable and an unstable environment. Best of luck to you in the future.
    post edited by spanky - 2011/01/23 08:19:27
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 08:22:14 (permalink)
    spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

You'll be back. I checked out S1 and I'm not impressed at all. It's like a toy compared to Sonar. So it works for you, great! There's obviously something in your computer that isn't playing well with X1, hopefully a patch will fix that (or more troubleshooting time). But honestly? S1 over even Sonar 8.5?  Are you being honest or reactionary?

megh...there will be some who will find this type of rhetoric to be useful.

There are those who have issues with it...like it or not...I'm just glad that so far it seems to be working or some of us...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    DeveryH
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 08:40:48 (permalink)
    trimph1

spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

There are those who have issues with it...like it or not...I'm just glad that so far it seems to be working or some of us...

Lot's of people are having issues with it, just like any new release of Sonar. Hell, I remember when version 8 came out how much of a sh it storm that was. I said I was never going to buy it--but I did and I have never had problems with it.
    This time it is different. Why? Because it is an altogether new learning curve. And if anyone is even the slightest bit unhappy, they now have a good excuse to look elsewhere. Reactionary?
    Forgive me if you don't like such rhetoric. It' just an observation. I just don't think it's nice for users to sh it on other people's "hey, X1 is now working for me" threads. If it was me, and I was really happy with the other side, I wouldn't even post here. But hey, I guess I'm just being reactionary!

thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 09:11:21 (permalink)
    I just don't think it's nice for users to sh it on other people's "hey, X1 is now working for me" threads.

I agree strongly with this. :)

This coming into threads that report good things about X1 and start posting reports of bad things with X1 is really getting on my nerves, especially when the same user has posted this 3 or more times already in this forum.

I'm about to start going off when I see more of this type of crap.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 09:45:10 (permalink)
    Thats Breath of Fresh AIR!!!!  Good to hear....

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 10:22:38 (permalink)
    It's good to hear it's working in a professional setting. In my home studio/bedroom/storage room/guest room it works surprisingly well. I've had a few crashes but can't replicate, and a few bugs that I've reported but overall it's been a revelation for my tired old brain as compared to 8.53

As to posting here as to how great the other guys software is just seems classless and discourteous in forum supported by Sonar but I'm not the class police. Just something I would never do.

And sadly it's only a matter of time before the 3 or 4 posters who think X1 is the devil's spawn post in this thread how horrible it is and how great 8.53 was. Luckily for me I just see two green bars when that happens.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Lynn
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 10:29:04 (permalink)
    spanky

trimph1

spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

Lot's of people are having issues with it, just like any new release of Sonar. Hell, I remember when version 8 came out how much of a sh it storm that was. I said I was never going to buy it--but I did and I have never had problems with it.
    This time it is different. Why? Because it is an altogether new learning curve. And if anyone is even the slightest bit unhappy, they now have a good excuse to look elsewhere. Reactionary?
    Forgive me if you don't like such rhetoric. It' just an observation. I just don't think it's nice for users to sh it on other people's "hey, X1 is now working for me" threads. If it was me, and I was really happy with the other side, I wouldn't even post here. But hey, I guess I'm just being reactionary!

Etostone

Good one , but try a heavier loaded project as well ! 

Well, I'm back for another go around today.  Etostone, I was loaded with 20 plus tracks and numerous plug ins when I quit yesterday.  I plan on adding a few more today, but I rarely exceed 30 tracks in my productions.  I'm kind of a less is more type of guy.  Except for Jamstix, I am staying in the box with the plug ins that came with X1, mainly because with the addition of Prochannel, CW has caught up with some the best plugs on the market, IMO. 

As for the negative comments, well, I feel your pain.  I was worried for a while, myself, until I got new drivers for my soundcard.  As for the known bugs that exist, I'm willing to wait and see how the next upgrade or two will handle them.  I will get back to you all later in the day to report on how things went.  If I can get 3 days of no crashes or glitches it will be a minor miracle, and if I have any problems at all, I will report them and let the chips fall where they may.  Thank you all for taking the time to respond. 

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Lynn
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 10:37:52 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

It's good to hear it's working in a professional setting. In my home studio/bedroom/storage room/guest room it works surprisingly well. I've had a few crashes but can't replicate, and a few bugs that I've reported but overall it's been a revelation for my tired old brain as compared to 8.53

As to posting here as to how great the other guys software is just seems classless and discourteous in forum supported by Sonar but I'm not the class police. Just something I would never do.

And sadly it's only a matter of time before the 3 or 4 posters who think X1 is the devil's spawn post in this thread how horrible it is and how great 8.53 was. Luckily for me I just see two green bars when that happens.

Thank you for replying.  I have nothing to say about those who cross over to another DAW, but to those who are going back to 8.5, at least they are staying with CW, and I have no problem with that.  8.5 didn't especially work well for me, but I did manage to produce 9 or 10 projects with it.  Although the learning curve is higher with this version, I'm mostly past that now, and my workflow is still faster than waiting for a reel to reel to rewind or fast forward ;)  Some things are more convenient in X1, some things less so, but all in all it's about even at this point.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Michael Lee
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:15:35 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn,
      Tried to PM you, no joy, can you accept a PM about Jamstix?
    Thanks
    Michael Lee

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400z series
    • Windows 7  64-bit
    • AMD Phenom(TM) X4 840T quad-core processor • 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB
    • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
    • 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    • 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
    Focusrite Saffire Pro24 DSP
    Axiom 61  2nd generation
    Behringer Truth 2031A monitors
    Sonar X1c Producer
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:25:08 (permalink)
    DonaldDuck

With all the bickering on here about X1, i just tossed my upgrade in the closet.  This thread gives me hope that it could possibly be worthwhile to get it out and install it!  I run a semi-professional studio, so crashing is bad.  Clients aren't impressed with constantly crashing software...

Glad it's working for ya, Lynn!!!  It makes me wanna give it a whirl.  I hope you'll let us know if it starts crashing! ;) Everyone else sure does.. like every single.. hiccup... crash... flaw... opinion... and heck, I think some even make up stuff! haha All joking aside, let's hope the good luck continues!!!! 

I'm not using X1 for anything serious yet, due to problems I have with it (I'm using 8.5.3 for serious work), but I would say go ahead an install X1 and get to know it in your spare time.  There's no harm in doing so.

That way, if/when most of the bugs are worked out you'll be able to dive in with some confidence.

I still play around with X1, and am anxiously awaiting to see how X1B fares.  I'm not a fanboi but I am a 7 year customer and supporter, so I have 'hope' X1B will allow me to dive back in too.

And at least having installed it and played around with it, you'll learn a lot of the new things in it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    DeveryH
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:26:55 (permalink)
    ba_midi

DonaldDuck

I'm not using X1 for anything serious yet, due to problems I have with it (I'm using 8.5.3 for serious work), but I would say go ahead an install X1 and get to know it in your spare time.  There's no harm in doing so.

That way, if/when most of the bugs are worked out you'll be able to dive in with some confidence.

I still play around with X1, and am anxiously awaiting to see how X1B fares.  I'm not a fanboi but I am a 7 year customer and supporter, so I have 'hope' X1B will allow me to dive back in too.

And at least having installed it and played around with it, you'll learn a lot of the new things in it.

Excellent advice.
    ba_midi
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:31:30 (permalink)
    spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

To the OP: Thanks for taking the time to remind people that even a simple change to one's computer can be the difference between a stable and an unstable environment. Best of luck to you in the future.

Spanky,

Just for the record- and balance - I'm using S1 Pro now too as is Scott.  It's not my "go-to" yet, and I don't know if it will be in the future (I'm hoping X1B brings me back home), but I must it say S1 is far from being a toy.

There are some incredibly well thought out things in S1 and I think CW need to watch their back on this.  S1 is extremely stable and has a solid audio engine, amongst other things.

I only say this to keep balance, not to start DAW wars.   But I didn't think it was fair to call S1 a toy.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, of course.   Mine differs ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

DeveryH
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:43:31 (permalink)
    ba_midi

spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

Spanky,

Just for the record- and balance - I'm using S1 Pro now too as is Scott.  It's not my "go-to" yet, and I don't know if it will be in the future (I'm hoping X1B brings me back home), but I must it say S1 is far from being a toy.

There are some incredibly well thought out things in S1 and I think CW need to watch their back on this.  S1 is extremely stable and has a solid audio engine, amongst other things.

I only say this to keep balance, not to start DAW wars.   But I didn't think it was fair to call S1 a toy.

I also got Artist during the promotion. I'm not at all impressed. The MIDI editing doesn't even come close to Sonar's IMO and is a major turnoff for me. And when I write music a lot of my time is spent editing in the PRV.  Not only does the MIDI turn me off, S1 doesn't even have instrument files for my Motif or Motif ES. What should I do to find sounds? Reference my book? Let me see...# 114441 = french horn. No thanks.  Can you even freeze a synth in S1? I only have artist so I can't even familiarize myself with VST's. If I did audio only or even loops I could see S1 would merit a serious look. But I do neither. So I stand by what I say, to me it's a toy and doesn't come close to Sonar (for my needs). That's not to knock it. It's a great program to package together with Presonus' hardware. It has some cool things, but it doesn't tempt me in the least.
    ba_midi
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 14:45:31 (permalink)
    spanky

ba_midi

spanky

Scott Lee

Hi Lynn,

Best Regards,

Spanky,

I also got Artist during the promotion. I'm not at all impressed. The MIDI editing doesn't even come close to Sonar's IMO and is a major turnoff for me. And when I write music a lot of my time is spent editing in the PRV.  Not only does the MIDI turn me off, S1 doesn't even have instrument files for my Motif or Motif ES. What should I do to find sounds? Reference my book? Let me see...# 114441 = french horn. No thanks.  Can you even freeze a synth in S1? I only have artist so I can't even familiarize myself with VST's. If I did audio only or even loops I could see S1 would merit a serious look. But I do neither. So I stand by what I say, to me it's a toy and doesn't come close to Sonar (for my needs). That's not to knock it. It's a great program to package together with Presonus' hardware. It has some cool things, but it doesn't tempt me in the least.

Well, as I said, I don't want to get into a DAW war, so I'll just accept we have different opinions (and experience) with the product.

Fair enough :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Etostone
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 15:43:06 (permalink)
    I get no crashes when I don't push the system to the limits.
    But when CPU gets at 70 % using sonar x64 bit at win 7 , things are not stable . 

Etostone Music Producer/Mastering Engineer/Label Owner

- Visit my Main Site
    - Visit my Mastering Site
    - Visit my Label Site

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 16:10:27 (permalink)
    I've spent about 3 days so far transferring each track over, meaning, not bouncing the audio but recreating the synths, effects, bins, etc. I cant even tell you how many crashes happen per song transfer, but I can say S1 has never crashed or had any hic up, ever.

Hi Scott, Billy, and other S1 users,

Aside from the performance, how do you deal with the lack of certain features in S1?
    • Track Folders
    • More esoteric MIDI configuration/editing
    • Per clip EFX
    • Etc
    I see a lot to like in S1... but the lack of certain "common" features is a turn-off.
    On the flip side, the integrated mastering functions look sweet.
    In particular, the fact that you can make changes to the mix (automatically updating the master).
    After some time has passed (listening to a 'final' mix), I often find myself wanting to goose the levels a dB here/there.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 16:11:36 (permalink)
    Hey Lynn!

I'm happy to hear about your positive experience and that your issues from before probably was just a change of driver away;) I have a very positive experience with X1 my self and I am glad to see that others have too.

X1 has been stable for me since December 9th - 2 to 15 hour sessions every day (except Christmas eve and day - I'm nearing my 15th completed project - a few BSOD while shuting down the computer (Motu ASIO problem) - one crash where audio stopped - a little cracling when adjusting the Pro Channel - Screensets are a drag - besides this, X1 is the coolest upgrade I've had in years!
    post edited by ProjectM - 2011/01/23 16:13:14

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 16:58:33 (permalink)
    spanky

100% ditto, Spanky!
    I've spent a lot of time with Studio One over the last few days only to come up against the brick wall of its almost cursory nod in the direction of MIDI.  I have a fully-loaded Fantom X6 and I like to audition different patches which is a breeze in Sonar.  I was dumbfounded when I found that Studio One has no instrument file facility, i.e. with the bank and patch names for your particular hardware synth(s).
    So, my advice to Sonar users checking out Studio One is: if you're a medium to heavy MIDI user you'll find it extremely lacking.  It also has very little online help compared to Sonar - help links to a small manual which I would actually call a Quick Start because so much detail is undocumented.  Aside from that I found Studio One nice to work with, smooth and more than I little tempting.  But if I were to jumo ship it would be to Reaper which is better at MIDI than Studio One, although still not a patch (geddit...) on Sonar.

My conclusion: I've ordered Sonar X1.
    After being initially very annoyed (and still so) that Cakewalk had changed Sonar to be 'easier to use' for other DAW users when I, a loyal customer, found it already easy to use thank you, I figure that if I'm going to learn a new DAW (which Sonar X1 will be to me) I might as well make that new DAW Sonar X1.  At least I will already know a lot about it and I've satisfied myself that as a heavy MIDI user Studio One and Reaper would not be a step forward for me.

John

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    submarin
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 260
    Re:Breakthrough - X1 made it through a 10 hour session today with no crashes or glitches 2011/01/23 17:00:24 (permalink)
    I can say the same thing about it,

i finished a show this week, it´s a corporate show with musicians on stage and I preproduced tracks in my studio and bounced them all out to multitrack. Sometimes more than 60 tracks running with Omnispheres, Stylus´s, Kontakt 4´s, lots of native and UAD2 plugs, ProChannel and so on...

so far, X1 behaves strange sometimes, like things stop to work, like TTS1 which I used to make a clicktrack, sometimes it just starts to play distorted, then I shut X1 down restart and work again.

but after spending the last half year with reaper cause I couldn´t handle Sonar´s automation any more,
    now I´m loving X1. It´s nice to work with all the tools inside and the workflow really suits me.

Seth told me in another thread, that they are working hard on the stability issue, so let´s hope for a stable X1 in the near future...

i7 4770, 32 GB Ram, W8.1 64bit, RME Digiface, 3x RME Adi DS, Uad2 Quad, , Sonar Platinum, Cubase 8 pro, Reaper , Ableton Live
    www.m2-productions.com
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1