Helpful Reply‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: Dec 11, 2018]

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 30
Author
RajahP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:25:42 (permalink)
Sorry if this has been asked before.... But, Can we uninstall 'old' Sonar Platinum installed without compromising 'new' Cakewalk by BandLab?  
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:32:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mark D. 2018/04/04 22:19:01
Mark D.
Great question. A few more for Noel and Band Lab staff. 

>>Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm >>hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

You misunderstood. No need to reinstall if you install BbB and leave your Plat install alone.

>>Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins >>in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

You mean plugin layouts? Those are files so you can copy them over from your Platinum install to CbB manually.
They are stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

>>PLEASE consider the first updates or two to be improving its workflow over snazzy stuff. I'm fine with it not >>having bloatware as most of what I use is 3rd party stuff I bought, and lack for no effects / synths.

There is no "bloatware". CbB is essentially the Platinum app and some plugins. Keep in mind that we have to also consider new users who don't have a ton of 3rd party stuff. The two new updates in BbB are workflow related...

>>MOST IMPORTANT. The first thing to fix is to give us the ability to "Find FX" - I will explain. You install version 1 of a third party VST (EQ, Comp, whatever). You save a bundle you used that in for archiving. 

In practice this isn't really possible to do consistently. Even if we allowed you to locate an effect that replaces something that is missing the new effect would NOT understand the old settings so you would be left with a default setting. Not very useful. If its the same plugin you are replacing then we already have a mechanism for that that we use with Overloud plugins. However I do see your point that a replace plugin feature could be useful. and "might" work sometimes.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:33:24 (permalink)
RajahP
Sorry if this has been asked before.... But, Can we uninstall 'old' Sonar Platinum installed without compromising 'new' Cakewalk by BandLab?  

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3744476

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:33:26 (permalink)
Thank you so much Meng and the Bandlab Team. Fantastic job. Also thanks, of course to, Noel. Once I got control of myself, and downloaded and installed it on the right computer, it all went smoothly (In my haste I tried to download it on my Linux computer, which didn't work. Duh). Opened my first piece, which was from 8.5 Studio, and it opened perfectly, pulling in everything for a full orchestra piece. Amazing. Fortunately, I had downloaded the Home Studio version awhile back, so I was familiar with it and hit the ground running. Tremendous accomplishment. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that this is a truly wonderful thing you guys have done. If only the rest of the world could work this way...

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Kamm Schreiner
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:33:43 (permalink)
RajahP

It's been asked before (by me ;-) ) and the answer is no. The short and skinny of it is: Don't uninstall it. It will cause problems.

Update: I should add that I'm referring to uninstalling AFTER install CbB. You can uninstall SPLAT before installing CbB, but you'll lose a lot of plugins.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:34:47 (permalink)
RajahP

If you uninstall you will lose any of the platinum exclusive bundled plugins. If you are ok with that then its ok but you will have to reinstall the CbB program since the platinum uninstaller may also remove some other needed components. You may be ok if you respond with NO to removing shared components however...

Noel Borthwick
bodhi65
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:38:08 (permalink)
Hi,
Thanks for the great roll out.  I can not seem to find the Anderton Collection or the 30th anniversary collection in my new Cakewalk BL install.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Alan

He who is not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:39:13 (permalink)
In the future you will see more of the stock Cakewalk plugins and instruments come online as well.

Thanks for the information (and for your work), Noel! That's great! They will also be free? Unbelievable!

Marc

... many years before ...
Kamm Schreiner
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:43:26 (permalink)
Kamm Schreiner
I definitely won't unless I hear otherwise from Noel or Meng. I'm hoping there is (or will be) a way to remove all the stuff from the SONAR Platinum installation that is no longer needed without removing the plugins. I'd like to free up disk space, but it isn't a big deal to me. Not that much wasted space, really.

Its a bit tricky since its not easy to uninstall platinum but leave just the plugins and shared content. If you uninstall platinum it will take aware some shared stuff and damage the new Cakewalk install (a flaw in the platinum uninstaller). Its easily fixed by reinstalling Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) but then you will be missing some of the extra platinum bundled content like Addictive drums etc.
If you use the platinum extras then the easiest thing is to just leave your platinum installation alone. CbB will automatically use all the extra plugins from there.
The thumb rule is if you are a Platinum user then do the minimal install of CbB since you won't need the extras. At least for this first version.

Removing the platinum executables wont really save you much space so its not worth the bother.

Thanks for answering that for me, Noel. The answer is what I expected but I figured I'd ask to be certain.
HARDDRlVER
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:44:54 (permalink)
10 hours since the announcement, more than 210 replies in 14 pages so far.
Wow!
Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 21:49:10 (permalink)
joegab
I noticed that the Bandlab Assistant loads as windows starts.

Are we "obliged" to keep Bandlab Assistant as autostartup or can we disable it?

Thanks,

Giorgio

Please see this post, it`s being dealt with :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
RajahP
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:01:01 (permalink)
Mark D.
Great question. A few more for Noel and Band Lab staff. 

>>Supposedly a few things like Addictive Drums don't show in BL Cakewalk as they do in Sonar Platinum. I'm >>hearing we re-install those (and the BT stuff) but if it's installed why, can you please fix this issue?

You misunderstood. No need to reinstall if you install BbB and leave your Plat install alone.

>>Once I let it know the location for my VST FX and Synths and re-scan, can the saves lists I have for my plugins >>in the drop down be opened up in BL Cakewalk without having to rebuild them in the new one?

You mean plugin layouts? Those are files so you can copy them over from your Platinum install to CbB manually.
They are stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

>>PLEASE consider the first updates or two to be improving its workflow over snazzy stuff. I'm fine with it not >>having bloatware as most of what I use is 3rd party stuff I bought, and lack for no effects / synths.

There is no "bloatware". CbB is essentially the Platinum app and some plugins. Keep in mind that we have to also consider new users who don't have a ton of 3rd party stuff. The two new updates in BbB are workflow related...

>>MOST IMPORTANT. The first thing to fix is to give us the ability to "Find FX" - I will explain. You install version 1 of a third party VST (EQ, Comp, whatever). You save a bundle you used that in for archiving. 

In practice this isn't really possible to do consistently. Even if we allowed you to locate an effect that replaces something that is missing the new effect would NOT understand the old settings so you would be left with a default setting. Not very useful. If its the same plugin you are replacing then we already have a mechanism for that that we use with Overloud plugins. However I do see your point that a replace plugin feature could be useful. and "might" work sometimes.

Ok... I guess it's best to leave.... 
JoeGBradford
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:03:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/04/15 16:20:10
Congratulations to Bandlab for this initiative. I've read through all of the above comments and they've been useful but I've got a couple of queries......

I've got Sonar Home Studio that I received with Computer Magazine a few months ago (I know tight git!) and I'm wondering what the major advantages would be to upgrade to Bandlab Cakewalk in terms of features - I'm an occasional hobbyist so don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles more pro users use.

I'm also a bit concerned about the issue that people have raised about the content installer only installing to the C drive - my SSD is only 256Gb so I don't want a lot of samples etc on there. At the moment my Cakewalk Content Folder is only 9Gb but I think I have read that the content for the Bandlab version is around 200Gb - I don't want to fiddle around with setting up junction instructions so wondering what is in that and whether it is worth installing - will I get some useful plug ins etc that I don't have with HS

This aimed at Meng / Noel - Are Bandlab likely to do as others have suggested and do a quick upgrade to give people a choice of installation path for the content files for those of us with small SSDs and large data drives?

Anyway good luck to everyone in using the new / old programme and thanks again to Bandlab for treating their new customers to what seems to be the deal of the century so far!
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:04:15 (permalink)
meng Quick update - will sticky this at my first post too - the 04-10-2018 is just an arbitrary 6 month date set for authorization checks - it's confusing and will be removed! It's NOT an expiry date :-)

FYI:  the 04-10-2018 date is October 04, 2018; not April 10, 2018.  USA traditionally uses the MM-DD-YYYY date format while most of the rest of the world uses the DD-MM-YYYY date format.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

JoeGBradford
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:11:17 (permalink)
In addition to my post above - can I install the main Cakewalk programme first then go back to install content if needed / feasible on my drive
HARDDRlVER
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:15:24 (permalink)
Now for my question(s), since looking through 200+ comments are a bit much to locate answers;

First, please don't pounce on me for my curiosities. I tend to read things in an odd manner, I know.

That said...

1. 'Bandlab Sonar is now free'...
Free to whom?
Everyone who signed up on Bandlab and has a legal license?
Or free to absolutely 'anyone'?

2. I bought splat lifetime, which Meng mentioned something about having a few treats in the workings, but I don't exactly know if he's referring to 'me' or those who've spent their lives with Sonar.

3. He mentioned some of the 3rd party plugins have been stripped from the new version.
Again, I'm not certain what that means.
Plugins that were integral to cakewalk or outside 3rd party plugins?
When I purchased splat, I received Melodyne essentials and xlnaudio drumkits.
Am I losing those?
I might have missed it, but is there any info on exactly what was stripped from splat?
JoeGBradford
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:19:07 (permalink)
I got this message when I tried to run Bandlab Assistant - I assume I can ignore this?!  Windows Defender 'SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.'
texasaurus rex
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:23:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bodhi65 2018/04/04 22:30:51
BIG thank you to all at BandLab for one of the smoothest moves ever. In less than 2 hours, all was downloaded, tweaked n twisted, working perfectly on my mobile recording laptop. Not in a million years would I have dreamed this would be the outcome for SONAR users. Hat's off, talk about corporate integrity...BandLab just set a whole 'nuther standard. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but today started off AWESOME. I have been interested in purchasing the most basic of phone/app/hardware Recording DAW Mobile rig set-ups, makes more sense everyday. Will definitely check out BandLab's analog and digital interface offerings now that they've got my attention. Wow, what a day...
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:24:37 (permalink)
At first I had 315 plugs upon opening CBL (of 821), so I rescanned and now have 715. Would some of the missing ones be 32 bit versions?
Michael
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:25:46 (permalink)
abacab

I'm thinking of buying a new PC. On that new PC, can I just install CbB straight from the BandLab installer?  You seem to be saying Noel, that the BandLab installer needs to rely on a previous Sonar Platinum being present to work properly?
John

I think the distinction to be made here is that some Platinum plugin bundled installers will rely on Platinum being installed in order to run.  No see Platinum, no run.
You can install CBB straight, but you may be missing some Platinum plugins that way.  The core CBB install lacks certain Platinum extras.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I was worried about.
So in order to have my 'old' Sonar Platinum's functionality on my new PC I need to somehow install it, and then, in order that I'm 'plugged in' to BandLab Cakewalk for its future development, I need to download and install it, as I've just done on my present PC.
In order to be able to do this, I've downloaded all my Sonar Platinum and purchased plugins from my Customer account.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:26:42 (permalink)
I am pretty excited about this.  Going to give it a whirl and introduce to students
bodhi65
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:29:48 (permalink)

thepianist65
 I also had to change a couple of default file locations, because while it "migrated" my preferences, it added the subfolder of Cakewalk Core, so I copied and pasted the stuff (track templates, project templates, etc.) to the current locations and now they are all there and accessible. 

Thank you,

This was very helpful.  I opened up the cakewalk content file explorer and the Sonar Platinum file explorer side by side.  I was able to copy and paste the Project Templates, Tutorial Projects, and FX chain presets from my old copy of SPLAT to the New Cakewalk Core files of the same name.

Thanks agian and another testimony to this great community.  Bandland saw the real value of Cakewalk and that is its loyal and wonderful community, along with some wonderful Bakers.

Best,
Alan

He who is not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:30:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/04/15 16:20:46
HARDDRlVER

3. He mentioned some of the 3rd party plugins have been stripped from the new version.
Again, I'm not certain what that means.
Plugins that were integral to cakewalk or outside 3rd party plugins?
When I purchased splat, I received Melodyne essentials and xlnaudio drumkits.
Am I losing those?
I might have missed it, but is there any info on exactly what was stripped from splat?

BandLab Cakewalk does not include most of the plug-ins and content bundled with SONAR. This is why they recommend leaving SONAR installed. Full retail versions of Melodyne and XLN Addictive Drums bundled with SONAR are registered and managed by their manufacturer's. BandLab does not change that.
HARDDRlVER
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:34:28 (permalink)
Lol.
I just went to Bandlab main page to read the official statement and got a 505 page error, several times.
I also tried to do the Bandlab app to my phone and get the error that 'this is associated with a different type of account'
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:37:03 (permalink)
I just completed download, installation and scan in less that 10 minutes.  That was awesome.  Running it right now.  Well done.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
RockinMillie
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:37:15 (permalink)
Thanks for this free update.
Please provide an off-line alternative for authorisation though...

fjz
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:41:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/04/15 16:20:59
scook
To take advantage of the plug-ins bundled with SONAR Professional, leave it installed and run the BandLab Cakewalk installer. BandLab Cakewalk is not the full SONAR Platinum package with all the plug-ins an content, just the Platinum version of the program which will include the Quad Curve EQ w/ zoom (unlike Professional).

Does this apply to the X3e Producer version as well?  For example, I have the versions of Melodyne and AD2 that were included with X3e Producer. Will these work with the new BandLab  version if I keep X3 installed?

fj

SONAR X3e Producer (64-bit) | Scarlett 6i6 (1st Gen) | Xeon W3520 | 12 GB | Win 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit)
Bassopottomous
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:41:30 (permalink)
Which 3rd party plugins have been removed?
tobiaslindahl
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:42:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2018/04/04 22:44:56
pentimentosound
At first I had 315 plugs upon opening CBL (of 821), so I rescanned and now have 715. Would some of the missing ones be 32 bit versions?
Michael

I have nothing to add in terms of your question(sorry) , other than teh fact you have an INSANE amount of plugins!
Over 800 ?!  Dear lord, I haven't even passed through to the 3-digit level yet :)
Cakewalk Staff
Re: ‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [4/4/2018] 2018/04/04 22:44:03 (permalink)
JoeGBradford
I got this message when I tried to run Bandlab Assistant - I assume I can ignore this?!  Windows Defender 'SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.'

Joe yeah you can ignore that. It happens because Microsoft's Smartscreen algorithm works on a "guilty until proven innocent" policy and warns the user about any new program until the program gains "trust".
This warning will stop after many users download and install it. To ignore the warning, click the "more info" button followed by "Run anyway" and it will override this. 

Noel Borthwick
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1