‘Cakewalk By BandLab’ is here. Free. Available for Windows now. [Updated: June 29, 2018]
Current Release (2018.06)
This release contains toolbar enhancements for the PRV and staff views, a new sandbox mode for more stable VST scanning as well as numerous bug fixes. To get this update open BandLab assistant and you should get an update notification.
Full changelog is here
Check out the new features
Meng's Announcement (2018.04)
Today is the day! Let’s dive straight in with a TL:DR version:
- Today we’re launching Cakewalk by BandLab – a free, streamlined version of SONAR Platinum
- There is only one version, with full authentication and the advanced feature set for free
- Cakewalk by BandLab is available via BandLab Assistant for Windows (sign in with your BandLab account)
- No matter what plug-ins or bundles you’ve bought in the past – anything that worked with SONAR before will work with Cakewalk by BandLab and should integrate seamlessly.
- This is just the beginning, we have an aggressive feature roadmap ahead
Firstly, thank you to everybody here for your incredible support in the last month (and a bit!).
As you might have guessed, it’s been a busy few weeks for us at BandLab. On top of maintaining the steady flow of feature releases that we consistently do on BandLab every week, the whole team has been working tirelessly to pull together the new flagship, streamlined version of SONAR so that we could get it to you ASAP.
We have an aggressive vision here at BandLab – and that is a world in which there are no barriers, physical, geographical or technical to the making and sharing of music. For the millions of creators already on BandLab in more than 180 countries around the world – this vision continues to develop every time we push a new release.
For the professional musicians who use our platform, access to a complete toolset is a key part of this vision and this release is one of our biggest yet. The big news is a business model change that is only possible because of our ecosystem – we’re releasing the entire feature set of SONAR Platinum (sans certain 3rd party plugins and content) in its new form of Cakewalk by BandLab completely free.
We want anyone to have access to the highest level of professional music production tools in the same way that we empower musicians to make and share their music around the world with BandLab’s creation, collaboration and social tools.
Cakewalk by BandLab has all the premium features of SONAR Platinum that you know and love but we’ve also added some small new features for now: you now have the ability to replace Track Templates and enjoy a theme-capable Piano Roll View (easier on the eyes for those late nights). These are just two quick additions – there’s a lot more coming based on your feedback and I’m confident you’ll be excited about what’s on the horizon.
Existing Platinum users: all previously purchased third party bundles, plug-ins and instruments already installed on your system should automatically integrate with Cakewalk by BandLab. If you have all your third party products and plug-ins previously downloaded from the Command Center, everything should work seamlessly.
People who are downloading Cakewalk by BandLab or experiencing SONAR Platinum’s features for the first time (not relevant to many people in this forum, but still including it to cover all bases!): we have removed certain 3rd party plug-ins and content that we felt were unnecessary and/or not feasible to be released in this first version. Updates will come and more features and content will be available in the core pack. For now, check out the Sounds tab on BandLab Assistant - there are thousands of loops available there - just drag and drop. ;-)
For anyone concerned that downloading Cakewalk by BandLab via BandLab Assistant might mess with your system or existing software – we’ve put a lot of effort into making sure that it doesn’t affect previous SONAR installations - Cakewalk by BandLab and previous versions of SONAR can run on the same machine with no issues. That said, there will be no more updates released for legacy SONAR products. As always, keep in mind that if you make changes to your operating system, this could affect performance of any legacy products as updates won’t happen in the future.
Many thanks to everyone who has already signed up for a BandLab account. As mentioned before, it will be necessary for tagging other purchases you have made in the past - for example, the next iteration of Rapture will not be released for free when it is ready unless you are an existing owner and eligible for a crossgrade. Having your obsolete Cakewalk ID linked to your BandLab Account ensures that we can verify your previous purchases, and any future upgrade or cross grade opportunities are available to you. For those who haven’t signed up yet, you’ll also need a BandLab account to install and authenticate Cakewalk, as well as to receive future updates and new releases.
On a side note, we’ve also been busy organising some Cakewalk swag (featuring new and vintage looks) to celebrate the launch and offer something fun for some of you lifetime Cakewalk fans. We’ve souped up our Tip Jar and released an early version of our upcoming Rewards feature, and you’ll visit this page once your install has started. A reissued version of Noel’s famous Cakewalk mug is there as well as some other swag - I'll add the link in a second, we're just updating some photos! There is no obligation to send a tip.
I want to thank all of you for your support, your encouragement, your feedback and suggestions. We are constantly humbled by the passion and wealth of knowledge among the Cakewalk community. We are so proud to be able to continue development of SONAR’s core feature set as Cakewalk by BandLab and are committed to investing in this excellent product - we will continue to innovate to ship new and improved features as we do with all the products we develop.
We hope that you, the dedicated core of long-term SONAR users, will be able to keep creating music with your preferred workflow for decades to come – and that a whole new generation of music creators, artists and producers will be introduced to this fantastic professional music software.
I hope you’re as excited about the future as we are. Please jump in and explore Cakewalk by BandLab – for existing SPLAT users, you’ll find it very comfortable and I hope we’ve alleviated some of your worst nightmares. For those of you that never could justify spending on an upgrade – welcome to the real deal :-) In the coming days and weeks, there’s much more I will share and I’m sure you’ll discover some of the other things you can do with BandLab Assistant and maybe try out BandLab too, if you haven’t already!Happy downloading and music making! Long Live Cakewalk!
p.s I meant it when I said we were baking something special up for you!
p.p.s RIP the runner up names of TDFKAS, BONAR, LabraDAWr and BADASS
QUICK UPDATE: The 04-10-2018 in the license/about us is just an arbitrary 6 month date set for authorization checks - it's confusing and will be removed in future versions. It's NOT an expiry date :-) Previous Releases
6/10/2018: Build 20 was posted today - the only update is for some problems with Japanese localization. Its only relevant if you are running CbB in Japanese.
[font="'helvetica neue', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 26px"][4/28/2018 UPDATE]
Cakewalk 2018.04.01 Release Notes
We’re excited to bring you the official first release of Cakewalk by BandLab. There are many new features, fixes and stability improvements to Cakewalk as well as BandLab assistant. Migration from earlier SONAR products should be easier now and we’ve also updated the help and brought back multi-language support. We hope you enjoy this release!
Use BandLab Assistant to customize your install of Cakewalk via new install choices. Also, drag and drop from a large library of loops and patterns directly into Cakewalk.
- Notify when a Cakewalk update is available
- Allows you to choose which components to download and install
- Option to disable launch on startup
- More streamlined and many fixes
- Cakewalk installer is no longer silent, and has customization options for installation paths
New Cakewalk Features
Apply settings from a track template to an existing track
You can apply settings from a track template to an existing track, without affecting the existing track’s clip data or track automation. To do so, right-click in the Tracks pane and select Replace From Track Template > [track template name] or select More Track Templates on the context menu.
Dark Piano Roll view with Tungsten theme
The Tungsten theme uses a dark UI that was designed to prevent eye fatigue during long sessions. To match the Tungsten color scheme, the Piano Roll view now has a dark background, with fully customizable colors.
Full contextual help is also available from within the application by pressing F1.Cakewalk is now translated into the following languages:English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese-Brazilian, and Russian.
The new Cakewalk online help can be found here
. Also check out the new features in this
version. Online help is available in English, with German and French coming soon for this version.
The Cakewalk Theme Editor is back in this release allowing you to create, edit and fully customize themes for Cakewalk. This is new version is exclusively for use with Cakewalk by BandLab and won't replace the older SONAR Theme Editor.
- Support for editing the new themed Piano Roll view
- Setup wizard auto populates the Cakewalk install folder removing requirement to browse for the exe file
- Fixed string formatting issues
- Added 5 new themeable colors for use with the Piano Roll view and Control Bar Performance module.
Lens Manager usability update
The Cakewalk Lens Manager dialog now has an apply button to allow you to make changes while the dialog is still open.
Cakewalk's powerful ARA based drum replacement tool is now in Cakewalk by BandLab. Choose from a library of replacement hits to strengthen your drum grooves. If you already have this installed from a previous SONAR product you won’t need to install this.
This add on includes Cakewalk’s popular Studio instruments including Electric Piano, SI-Bass Guitar, SI-Drum Kit and SI-String Section. This add-on also includes 4 Cakewalk demo projects. If you already have this installed from a previous SONAR product you won’t need to install this.
Melodyne 4 Studio Trial
A 30-day trial of Celemony’s award winning Melodyne 4 Studio is included free as part of Cakewalk. This will allow you to explore all the functions of Melodyne 4 studio – free of charge and without obligation, but exactly as if you'd purchased it – for a period of 30 days.Melodyne fully integrates with Cakewalk via ARA and can be applied as a region effect on clips. If you already own Melodyne 4 this installer it will update it to the latest version but won’t change your current Melodyne license.
[Update 5/19] If you own a version prior to Melodyne 4, updating using this installer will result in installation of a 30 day trial version of Melodyne Studio that will replace your current Melodyne installation.
POW-r dithering available again
We’ve added support for this back into the dither options
Bug Fixes and Enhancements
We’ve been busy making fixes and stability enhancements to Cakewalk for this release:
- Improved WASAPI devices compatibility and fixed bugs in WASAPI mode. Most onboard audio devices including multi-channel audio devices are now supported in WASAPI shared mode.
- Updates to code for compatibility with the latest Windows SDK
- Many improvements and fixes to BandLab Assistant
- Updated Audio Metronome to resolve a problem with the metronome not working on some systems after install
- Changing Audio/MIDI settings from the onboarding dialog could cause a crash if the app was playing
- If migration is chosen the VST inventory will be migrated from earlier versions of SONAR avoiding lengthy scan times on first run.
- Plugin menu layouts from past versions are now migrated on installation of Cakewalk if chosen
- Removed some confusing error messages referencing command center and strings referencing SONAR
- Removed dependency on language from Command Center
- Creating a Track from a track template was not working from selected track
- Replace Track from Template could cause unexpected results for unsupported track template types
- Replacing Multiple Tracks from Template could cause unexpected results
- Replace Track From Template could not be done from the browser
- Double-click track templates in browser did not insert the template
- Themable Piano Roll view does not respond to custom color changes
- Control Bar Performance module meter colors are not customizable/themeable.
- Clean audio folder would crash Cakewalk when it encountered paths > 260 chars. This operation has also been optimized to run faster by skipping scanning system and program folders.
- Lens Manager dialog usability improvements. Added Apply button.
post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2018/06/29 12:53:57