Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites?

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/07/11 08:17:58 (permalink)

Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites?

While I will fully admit that I have not been in a posting mood the last month or so (lotta listening, just not a lot of commenting), it does seem that this board is dying. A post from SEVEN days ago still on the first page?  A week old post? I have never seen anything like it in the 4 years or so I have been visiting here.

What the heck is going on?

144 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 09:17:49 (permalink)
    I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but personally I've been too busy with live work to do any recording or to do much listening lately.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 09:40:21 (permalink)
    I have thought similar things. The songs board has been really slow recently.  Maybe it's just the summer...everybody busy with vacations and weekends away... or just to hot to record.... give me a hammock under a shade tree and a cooler full of Sam Adams........

I too, have listened to a few songs  and made some comments and sandbagged on the others. Mostly due to being busy with family and other things since school got out.

I've been reworking and rewriting a few tunes that were "almost" there, and that takes more time actually than the original recordings took.   For example:    This song

BUT... all that aside, this is still a much more active and alive place than the Taxi songs (peer to peer) forum.

I can post a song in both places at the same approximate time and check back in a few hours on each and the Cake site has many visitors and a number of good comments, where the Taxi site might get one or two comments after several days. So this is still the best place IMHO to get decent feedback on the recording process.

BTW: just checked over there.... same length of time on the boards.... I have ONE comment over there. And it's about the order of the words.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/07/11 10:01:06

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 12:07:39 (permalink)
    I think that this subject is an area of concern for many of us, James.  FWIW- I have my own ideas as to why we're seeing a lack of activity here in Songs, so here are my thoughts-

1. Some of the reasons already cited by Reece and Herb.  At the moment I've been able to be pretty active here, but there have certainly been times when any number of non-musical 'life pressures' have kept me away.

2. There are more than a small number of folks who repeatedly post new material in Songs but rarely or never comment on anyone elses.  IMO, if one is a reasonably frequent poster here, they have an obligation (for lack of a better word) to pay others the same respect and courtesy that they are seeking.  It's just the right thing to do.  How to address this issue is a tricky matter.  PM'ing them or posting some sort of 'hint' as a comment on their songs could be misconstrued as intimidation if it weren't handled very tactfully.  Perhaps a thread like this is a step in the right direction, assuming of course that they bother to read it .  Maybe a 'sticky' about being a 'good citizen' in Songs????

3. I have had discussions with many long time forumites who occasionally listen but never comment due to past 'drama' or bad experiences with having commented in Songs.  I think that this is now a generally a pretty civil place, and maybe we need to reach out to some of those folks and encourage them to give it another try.

I guess that's my $.02.
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 12:13:50 (permalink)
    I think it's more about the season.  People are out and about for summer with vacations and possibly working gigs that may not be available the rest of the year. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 13:01:23 (permalink)
    Been busy I do pop in most days but nothing has caught my attention much to comment on.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 13:22:37 (permalink)
    Personally speaking, there's a lot of factors that have kept me from the Song forums.

First, I lost my recording partner that did 95% of the vocals. He lost interest and gave up. Second, it's not the same for me since an incident a few months ago (not the thing with Zungle.). The entire forum hasn't been the same for me because a lot went unsaid that was louder than what was said and it's made me feel unwelcome.

Also, I'm losing what little voice I had, so it takes forever for me to lay a vocal track I'm happy with and finish up a project. Plus, this whole X1 debacle. It works fine for a while, then acts like a hacker got in to my system and is screwing with me. Then I come to the forums and get told from the top to the bottom that it has to be my system because X1 works awesome for everyone else but me. So, I spend hours and hours and hours troubleshooting a DAW that runs 8.5.3 perfectly to no avail. Then I switch to 8.5.3 and get the itch to try X1 again, and get burned and lose my project. It's a vicious cycle. I get almost OC trying to make X1 work.

I try to comment on as much stuff as I can, but there hasn't been that much stuff lately that I could comment on without hurting someone's feelings so I skip a lot. I also skip some posts that have certain people involved. Plus I seem to miss a lot too. I don't know if it's the server or what, but I check the Song forum every day and sometimes there will be a post that is 4 or 5 days old that I missed. At that point I feel funny commenting since it's so old.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from.

Bub

EDIT: What's really funny to me ... I get an email from Box.net whenever someone listens to one of my songs. I have hundreds of 'listens' on Bub's Rap but certainly not that many comments. Another one I get emailed on at least once a week is a Christmas song I posted in Nov/2010 called Carol Of The Guitars. Someone must like it because it's got a ton of hits on it too ... yet no comments. It makes me wonder if someone linked to them on a web site somewhere? I don't use the free version of Box.net so I can't see where the traffic is coming from, all I get is an email saying someone listened and it keeps a running total.
    post edited by Bub - 2011/07/11 13:29:21

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 14:20:01 (permalink)
    Hi All, maybe someone should write a requiem for a dying forum , probably would get lots of reactions .

Greetings, Rik
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 14:37:47 (permalink)
    Gee, I think America is shutting down. Actually I never thought that a creative endeavor was a 9 to 5 job, but I think there is a song about that as soon as I find it out there in cyberspace, probably utube or something like that, even a movie. So assume that there may be more so-called creative endeavors that may not be to your liking. Take mine for instance, in the link down-below-there. Is it real or is it just another memorex tune? And then ask, if I could not do it better if I practiced more, for I am sure I could, but then, there is no money involved and it is free, and I am retired early, so ya, people are worried about what the mafias are doing, I mean political parties and people who promote them. I just promote a song, so yes, I wonder if the missiles are aimed at me.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    But you can have the end of the world as you know it:
    (It's a long story, but then there has been many discussions about JT)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKPtfBffE8

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 15:44:49 (permalink)
    It's all part of the MasterBapu plan to rule the song forum by The CHB.

Oh wait, we haven't posted a song in awhile either.

It's all part of the MasterPhilz plan to rule the song forum by him, TheBapu and DannyDanzi.

philz
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 17:33:20 (permalink)
    bapu

It's all part of the MasterBapu plan to rule the song forum by The CHB.

Oh wait, we haven't posted a song in awhile either.

It's all part of the MasterPhilz plan to rule the song forum by him, TheBapu and DannyDanzi.

All your forums are belong to us?

Alas, but philz has no plan, is lucky he has Outlook to remind him what day it is, and is not profligate prolific enough to rule anything. 

But seriously, Bapu, I'm surprised at you.  We are trying to have a serious thread here, and there you go with a CH-like derailment.  And here I thought I taught you some Etty-kett during your visit to LawnGuyLand.  Next thing you know we'll have Strummy, Bubba and JB up here, and then it will be lights out for sure.  I'm counting on you to keep 'em down on the farm now.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 17:40:14 (permalink)
    I'm about to release a new one that I believe will revitalize the forum. 

Just you wait, men will humble themselves? Women will weep openly, children will look to the skies with wonder... I expect in the fullness of time that religions will form in the future based on this event, and I'm not exaggerating... It's a Robby/Janet colab.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 17:43:02 (permalink)
    oh my.  the humbleness of it all!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bapu
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 17:44:16 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

Just you wait, men will humble themselves? Women will weep openly, children will look to the skies with wonder... I expect in the fullness of time that religions will form in the future based on this event, and I'm not exaggerating... It's a Robby/Janet colab.

Or, you'll get some good reviews. Assuming anyone is in the forum for that month.
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 18:20:31 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

Really? I can't wait. But of course I won't comment on it unless you personally ask me.
    bapu
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 18:21:30 (permalink)
    James you wait to asked?

I hold out for begging.

jamesyoyo
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 18:22:21 (permalink)
    bapu

James you wait to asked?

I hold out for begging.

Money always greases the skids....
    bapu
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 18:23:57 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

bapu

James you wait to asked?

I hold out for begging.

Thanks for the tip.

philz
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 18:33:05 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

bapu

James you wait to asked?

I hold out for begging.

Spoken like a true LawnGuyLander
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 19:01:10 (permalink)
    Philz said............

2. There are more than a small number of folks who repeatedly post new material in Songs but rarely or never comment on anyone elses.

" I'll admit,  I'm a culprit of this"........................BUT,  I "have" made some committ's on other people's work.
    Just not enough compared to how much I have listen.    I've been around for a good while, just don't have much time to post.   I work a full time job (commercial electrician), plus work as a live sound engineer.  It takes up just about all my spare time.    Record most of the live shows I'm hired to do..
    What little time I spend in my studio, I'm editing my live recordings. 

I stop and listen in here alot take'in break's............but I can't be much of a music critic when the stuff  that I post sounds like crap............:)  BUT,  I enjoy this.    Love to listen in here.    Lot of talent
    in this forum.  

Watch out.....I'm working with a "Kuntry" band this week end 100proof Kuntry.

I guess, I'll have to take more time to post.......... Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 19:53:30 (permalink)
    I think what we are looking at here is number of factors:  Spacealf hit one important note, that is, music is becoming less and less important in a world that is by all intents and purpose failing.  It is a sad indictment that a world which is pretty sick the one thing that can heal it is slowly being turned into a sad pastiche of what it once was. Lady Ho Ha anyone.

The other thing that someone brought up is The X1 factor, how many people are making their computer and program work rather than making music????

Yes and the other factor is people (me) posting and not reciprocating and I think we must all try and rectify this, one way would be to listen to one song every time you sign in or every time you post a song.  If we had that level of commitment maybe this board would again start moving.

Ok I am off to listen to my one song.  I have made a commitment and I intend to keep it.
    Just remember I am not going to moodle coddle you if I think you have done something great I will tell you but if it is crap I will tell you and I expect the same from everyone else.

Peace

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 20:03:09 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech

Just remember I am not going to moodle coddle you if I think you have done something great I will tell you but if it is crap I will tell you and I expect the same from everyone else.

You obviously must be new!  Factory Yoyo is nothing but hearts and flowers in his comments!

Seriously, I looked at this time last year on the forum and I admit I was wrong: things were this slow last summer too.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 21:21:22 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

bapu

James you wait to asked?

I hold out for begging.

..... and I might add... the amount is directly proportional to the quality and enthusiasm of the review.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rockinrobby
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 21:31:23 (permalink)
    Beagle

oh my.  the humbleness of it all!

Wait till you see my new Calvin Kline underwear ad? I'll be impossible to deal with... What with the hard body making all the young girls cry, and the musical release of the decade? It will be hard to be humble (as the song says) when you're perfect in every way?

rockinrobby
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 23:03:03 (permalink)
    And I'm sorry, but there are just so many people now who post songs? And "never" comment on anything outside their own thread? They probably do the same thing on 20 sites... It's all about getting their hit count up? So I can see what they're doing? And why they are doing it? But those posts should sink without comment... "really." But somehow, they don't many times :-( And some of it could be that these people may have multiple logins? And comment on their "crap." Some of it may be that they bump "their crap" until people do comment? And people do? I see it as a negative thing, but that's JMO. 

Look at them? They have either no? Or very few posts on the forum at all? And they post songs, they want feedback? But they refuse to listen and give any :-( It's a reflection on our modern culture unfortunately :-( "It's all about me." Me being a pronoun and not a proper noun. It's unfortunate, but describes the problem perfectly, and in a nutshell...
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/07/11 23:05:42

bapu
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 23:06:07 (permalink)
    What is this multiple logins you speak of?
    rockinrobby
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 23:23:39 (permalink)
    Well Bobby for example? His name is not Bobby, he said as much during his last dramatic exit... I know for a fact that he posts here "as multiple people..." 

So some sick bastages here, get several, 3? 4? 10? logins... And they try to manipulate the forum, by burying posters with whom they disagree or do not support? And promote others with whom they do? Multiple handles... And for sure in some cases, "multiple personalities..." 

It's the Internet? It's open to all? And let's face it, there are people out there who are "hurting units..." there are sociopaths? Look at that guy who gunned down all those people at the Giffords(sp) congress woman appearance? There are sick people :-( Now they're in the minority? I think most people are good people? But there are people with substance abuse problems, and people with actual real mental disorders :-( And I'm sure they populate this, and other forums...

And I don't claim to be the most well adjusted person who posts here? But I have a desire to be a better person... As do most of us? And a reasonably high IQ, so if I set my mind to it, I can improve. As can you? You're intelligent. But my point is, (rambling, sorry) there are people here who post using several, (1/2 a dozen, maybe more?) different logins... The example I used (Bobby?) is just the most obvious.

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/11 23:26:28 (permalink)
    I never thought of the multiple login's, man I may be a pain but I have never sought to do the whole popularity thing.  If there are any trolls out there doing this cease and asist.

Music has always been about popularity but we are taken it to a whole new level with social networking and forums like this.  It is no wonder the art has been lost in our music.

Ok I am to listen to another tune, as I say, the best way to do this is everytime you log in listen to a tune, leave a little comment, not reall hard to do.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    rockinrobby
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/12 00:09:49 (permalink)
    Ben, listen to my latest? MFer! (That's not a comment toward you, that's my latest? It's called MFer) :-) And it's pretty good?

rockinrobby
    Re:Cakewalk Songs Forum: Should someone administer Last Rites? 2011/07/12 00:53:32 (permalink)
    It's so easy! Look at the posts that are at the top right now!? LOL! Then look at what those people have contributed? Vs. What they are posting? And it's F'ing "obvious..." This is why this forum is dying... Because people post? And they post, and the post... "But they refuse to contribute!!!????!!!!!???? " And people let them get away with it? By commenting on their worthless "LOOK AT ME!!??" Posts...  By commenting? People encourage this behavior :-( 

It's easy to see? It's happening here, "right now!" WAKE UP PEOPLE!! 
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/07/12 00:54:56

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1