Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Scott Reams
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1918
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/04 17:09:00 (permalink)
I don't think we disagree at all.

-S
blueturbit
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/04 18:24:44 (permalink)
I am not happy with upgrade charge only just a little over a month after I bought Sonar P3. And to charge for a 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade? Byt the time you get to 4.0 you will have several hundred dollars invested, perhaps even before you get the manual. How many .1's are there between 3.0 and 4.0? Usually upgrades are V3 V4 etc. are they not? And usually they are for major changes, not just one feature added. At least I believe this has been my experience.

Personally I am not happy with the lack of manual or proper documentation. This is not what I expected when I opted for the producer edition.
And I don't think even Cakewalk acknowledges the manual isssue yet, do they? Even at this moment if you read about Sonar Producer features, under the VSampler section it says:

VSampler 3 DXi features lots of little helpers -- like the context sensitive quick menus at the right mouse key. If you don't know where to find a certain function, or which functions are available for a certain screen or control, try clicking the right mouse button before reading through manuals or searching the help menu.

Reading through manuals? The elevator is not reaching the top floor here.

And apparently many users are not extreme as implied by Cakewalk:

VSampler 3.0 DXi
A powerful DXi digital sampler that offers extensive editing capabilities matched by extreme ease-of-use.
jardim do mar
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1247
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/04 18:45:03 (permalink)
I don't mind not having the maual. For me it's a challenge to master the Vsampler.. I enjoy using using it, I understand how many are frustrated not having a manual,,,My feeling is,,(not that it matters) is when you're angry,,most of the time it comes from being frustrated,,then you lose your creative thoughts then you don't know what to do... I'm sure the manual will come but it the mean time I'm not going to let a manual stop me learning something or from creating good music ........... everybody is different ,,,I guess,,,,,,,,,,,,, as for the money, well , I keep dishing out,,,,,,,,everybody has to make a living,,,,,,,,
< Message edited by jardim do mar -- 2/4/2004 7:25:48 PM >
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/04 19:18:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: puffer
It's not a lie of omission, because these apps are included to make Sonar a better place to work.

Your words, not mine, my friend. I carefully chose my words to be one full step removed from "lying by omission."

I accuse Cakewalk of nothing. I suggest that they might have been clearer--perhaps Special Edition, or OEM Edition.

We don't see it the same way. Fine. That's what viewpoints are all about.

However, if I were running Cakewalk, I would be asking some questions for future product development and marketing. Certainly bundled products are perceived as an excellent value by the customer. At what point, however does Sonar become viewed as a hodgepodge of third party add-ons, different with each version--rather than a tightly integrated program?

I don't know the answer, but it's a topic that merits internal discussion, IMO.
< Message edited by Bill OConnell -- 2/4/2004 7:21:16 PM >

adrian.crossan
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 04:24:59 (permalink)
And LiveSynth Pro.

ORIGINAL: Bill OConnell

Well that's worse then. I didn't realize they'd done it *twice.*

Thanks, Scott.
Scott Reams
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1918
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 04:35:45 (permalink)
LiveSynth was a different situation. Cakewalk hadn't been clear that it was a demo version. DR008 and VSampler are not demo versions.

-S
Graham
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 04:40:53 (permalink)
Glad there's not been a mention of Tassman yet

Graham
whyterabbyt
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 05:38:31 (permalink)
Tassman.

<cough>
Speedsoft
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 05:54:27 (permalink)
Hi blueturbit,

And to charge for a 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade?

The charge is not for the new version 3.1 thats why the VSampler3 full version customers dont need to pay a charge for the new features. The charge is for the upgrade from the "DXi only & fixed feature set" OEM version to the full version including DXi/VSTi/Rewire/Standalone.

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 06:51:28 (permalink)
BS
If that was true you would be upgrading the DXi only version to 3.1 as well, just as you did 3.01, 3.02, 3.03and 3.04.
You guys have already said that that was not happening. This is a money grab, period.

Best

CH
puffer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 07:30:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bill OConnell

ORIGINAL: puffer
It's not a lie of omission, because these apps are included to make Sonar a better place to work.

Your words, not mine, my friend. I carefully chose my words to be one full step removed from "lying by omission."

You're right, Bill. That wasn't specifically reacting to anything you said, more just the fervor of posts each time a new version is released, and especially the invective hurled toward Angus and Maz and Cake when they began continuing with their updates.

Like you, I was more just ruminating aloud, stating my thoughts on the matter. I apologize if it seemed otherwise. I appreciate that you make sure that your thoughts aren't personal attacks or knee-jerk reactions.
< Message edited by puffer -- 2/5/2004 7:32:35 AM >

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
lexinton
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 12:54:34 (permalink)

Your are right. The charge is for the new major features introduced with v3.1. The minor feature enhancements and bugfixes are for free.

And of those new major features is *TRUE DISK STREAMING* one implemented in 3.1?

I wonder if someone could answer Glennbo's question?

Lexx
Glennbo
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1840
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 12:56:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: lexinton

Your are right. The charge is for the new major features introduced with v3.1. The minor feature enhancements and bugfixes are for free

And of those new major features is *TRUE DISK STREAMING* one implemented in 3.1?

I wonder if someone could answer Glennbo's question?

Yes, a simple yes or no would do.
WFTurner
  • Total Posts : 770
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 14:09:15 (permalink)
Note to users of VSampler 3.0 OEM versions (such as "VSampler 3.0 DXi“ of Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer):
Added VSampler 3.1 functions which are marked yellow require a valid registration key for the full VSampler 3 VSTi-DXi-Standalone package. They will not be available in combination with registration keys of bundled OEM-versions of VSampler 3.0, which are licensed and distributed by 3rd parties as part of their own products. All other added functions and generally all bugfixes are available for every(!) registered VSampler 3 user as free update from our own website and from the OEM partner.

The upgrade from a VSampler OEM version to the full VSTi-DXi-Standalone package (incl. all future 3.x additions and improvements) is available for 39 Euro (around $49 at the moment).

added: play instruments of any size without being limited by RAM-size, powered by the new DRC2 engine (Dynamic Ressource Control, Level 2), plus faster loading of large instruments
DRC2 works at Instruments level *and* Samples level:

Instruments Level (as in VSampler 3.0): only the active instruments of the current soundbank are actually loaded into RAM, i.e. those which are assigned to a MIDI channel
Sample Level (new in VSampler 3.1): only the active samples of the active instruments are actually loaded into RAM, i.e. those which are playing at the moment

The above is quoted from the Version History page. Also anything I've been
having problems with understanding and sure could have used a manual for has been brought up on the forums there. I've been lucky finding what I need to know that way... so far... knock on wood.

William F. Turner
songwriter
My Music

Craig Anderton's SSS
My other favorite forum
CrayonJones
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 15:22:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Speedsoft
The charge is for the upgrade from the "DXi only & fixed feature set" OEM version to the full version including DXi/VSTi/Rewire/Standalone.

Hi Tom.

Seems to me it should be possible for Speedsoft to provide a DXi only version of 3.1 that EXCLUDES whatever new features are related to using VSampler outside of Sonar (e.g., Rewire, Standalone), which would essentially preserve its OEM status if that's what you want, which by itself doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

It also seems to me that doing this would be far better for Speedsoft's long term relationship with Sonar customers, than charging them for a .1 upgrade. Especially since in some cases that relationship is already strained because the lack of documentation hinders their ability to maximize the "feature set" -- "fixed" or not. The reason some call it a "money grab" is because, 5 months out, much of VSampler's power and value are still more of a promise than a fact.

Sonar 3 Producer users should and could be the best word-of-mouth Speedsoft could ever want.

In any event, I appreciate your presence on the forum.

CJ
< Message edited by CrayonJones -- 2/5/2004 3:26:08 PM >
Speedsoft
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 15:55:15 (permalink)
If that was true you would be upgrading the DXi only version to 3.1 as well, just as you did 3.01, 3.02, 3.03and 3.04. You guys have already said that that was not happening.

If you buy a product in a light version (e.g. Windows XP Home or VS3 DXI only) do you really expect that you will get all following enhancements that are available in the full version of the product (e.g. Windows XP Professional or VS3 full)? Ok, VS3 DXi only and VS3 full version is the same binary, but that's because it reduces the maintenance.

Version 3.1 DXi only is of course for free for all S3PE customers but it doesn't contain all the new features of the 3.1 full.

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
Glennbo
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1840
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 16:00:43 (permalink)

If that was true you would be upgrading the DXi only version to 3.1 as well, just as you did 3.01, 3.02, 3.03and 3.04. You guys have already said that that was not happening.

If you buy a product in a light version (e.g. Windows XP Home or VS3 DXI only) do you really expect that you will get all following enhancements that are available in the full version of the product (e.g. Windows XP Professional or VS3 full)? Ok, VS3 DXi only and VS3 full version is the same binary, but that's because it reduces the maintenance.

Version 3.1 DXi only is of course for free for all S3PE customers but it doesn't contain all the new features of the 3.1 full.

First question:
Does the full version of vsampler 3.1 do *TRUE DISK STREAMING*?
A simple yes or no is all that's required for this one.

Second question:
Is vsampler 3.1 *THREAD SAFE* when running in a host like Sonar 3.1.1 which is MP capable?
Again, a simple yes or no will suffice.

Third question:
Do I get any royalties for writing manuals for Speedsoft products?
A simple wire transfer of funds will suffice for this one. <g>
< Message edited by Glennbo -- 2/5/2004 2:05:27 PM >
C Hudson
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 16:54:32 (permalink)
Tom,

Originally you advertised that the "full" version only differed from the OEM version in that the full version supported rewire,VSTi and standalone. No extra features in teh app itself.

Now the " full" version is getting more features added and DXi users are left hoding the trash.

To put it in your Windows example

XP Pro has added featues above XP Home at launch.
What new features have been added to XP Pro ( post launch) that have not also made it into Home?
And I mean major features, similar to disk streming in VS 3.1 full

answer? None

Many were under the impression that disk streaming was supposed to be in version 3 as you DID beta test with it included.

Anyway, I am not going to continue this debate. You guys have already hung yourselves.

Best

CH
Speedsoft
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 16:57:55 (permalink)
Hi CJ,

I think if the manual is available then many of the VS3 users will detect new features they never expected That's what I have learned in the last months answering user questions and wishes in the MAZ and other forums.

In any event, I appreciate your presence on the forum.

This forum is very interesting for capturing new ideas and user needs, e.g. the need for playing REX files inside Sonar. Now VS3.1 full (sorry) can.

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
Poni
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 276
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 17:06:57 (permalink)
Instead of whining about features your not getting for free why not just upgrade and support the damned sampler, it's only like 50 bucks.
sOnAr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
whine and cheese 2004/02/05 17:08:45 (permalink)
My sh!t streams fine... check it out: http://radio.hydrorecords.com

http://megamart.us
http://hydrorecords.com
C Hudson
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 17:16:50 (permalink)
It was not free, you had to buy S3 Pdr to get it.

perhaps Cakewalk should start charging 75-100 bucks for their point updates. After all, It's good to support the damned sequencer as well .

Best

CH
Akshara
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1139
RE: whine and cheese 2004/02/05 17:32:11 (permalink)
Tom...

While I understand your position, I have to agree with much of what C Hudson says here even if I don't agree with the tone. He does make a good point.

I too was under the impression that Vsampler was going to have disk streaming included in the DXi upgrade path, and was disappointed to learn that to get the full functionality of the program I was going to have to invest another $50 on top of my initial investment. In all honesty I wouldn't have paid for the upgrade simply to get standalone or VST/Rewire support since I don't require those.

Your decision however is somewhat understandable since it will pull in a lot more income from users like me that wouldn't have upgraded to the full version in the first place. However, it's important to realize that any gain in profits from this decision is going to be offset slightly by the potential loss of support and customer loyalty. Instead of my being a diehard Vsampler fan as I expected to be, I have been looking at alternative soltuions instead of upgrading to the full version because in my experience once a company chooses this course of action they usually will do it again somewhere down the line. Though I can respect a companies desire to make profit, I simply detest disingenuous or non-straightforward business practices, which could be argued, or at least easily perceived by many, as what is happening here.

I've been a Maz supporter on the forums here so far. But in all honesty this last move with keeping a much wanted, and arguably needed, feature as an upgrade cost to the entire DXi community is a questionable decision, and i"m in somewhat of a "wait and see" holding pattern regarding whether I'm going to continue to support this application or not.

The fact that around 12 out of the 20 people or so who've posted in this thread are upset with the decision shouldn't be ignored... that's about 60%. I would imagine that if one were to run a poll on this subject here on the forum, that percentage would actually be much higher. And with tensions high around here regarding the lack of sufficient documentation, I'm surprised that this isn't a more imporant issue to Speedsoft.

Just my two cents.

-----

Poni...

We did support the sampler by purchasing the Producer edition. If Maz didn't work out an appropriate compenstation arrangement with Cakewalk, that's a poor business decision on their part that shouldn't be passed on to the customer base in an effort to correct it, which is what does appear is happening from the S3P customer's point of view.
< Message edited by Akshara -- 2/5/2004 5:47:22 PM >
Bill OConnell
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 17:54:49 (permalink)
If you buy a product in a light version (e.g. Windows XP Home or VS3 DXI only) do you really expect that you will get all following enhancements that are available in the full version of the product (e.g. Windows XP Professional or VS3 full)

You're mixing apples and oranges, Tom. What I expected was a full *DXi* Version 3 of VSampler, complete with all Version 3 updates. Nobody told me this was VSampler Lite or VSampler LE.

Actually, the $50 full-version upgrade seems very reasonable to me. But it would have been better to state this up front.

[I really shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood--I've re-edited this to come down off the soapbox a bit. I didn't buy Sonar 3 for VSampler (although I am a registered user of Version 2.6, I think), but there is a matter of principle involved here--the principle of clarity at the very least.]
< Message edited by Bill OConnell -- 2/6/2004 12:23:56 AM >

Speedsoft
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 17:59:23 (permalink)
Hi Glennbo,

First question:

VS3.1 has the DRC2 engine. I don't like a product because of some dedicated words on the packing but I like a product because of a dedicated behaviour. If the DRC2 behaviour is not what you want, then call VS3 a RAM monster.

Second question:

If it where not *THREAD SAFE* you could not start multiple instances in sonar. But you can, YES.

Third question:

I think you and other people do a good job here in the forum helping the people that don't know how to do something. That's why a forum works. We have already spent many hours to get our own manual. No need to pay a third party at this time.

Kind regards

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
Akshara
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1139
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 18:03:06 (permalink)
VS3.1 has the DRC2 engine. I don't like a product because of some dedicated words on the packing but I like a product because of a dedicated behaviour. If the DRC2 behaviour is not what you want, then call VS3 a RAM monster.

Hmm... I've read this three times now and still have no idea what it says. Seems to be getting lost in translation.
< Message edited by Akshara -- 2/5/2004 6:11:44 PM >
C Hudson
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 18:03:27 (permalink)
If it where not *THREAD SAFE* you could not start multiple instances in sonar. But you can, YES

When you use the multi threaded audio engine, there are some problems. Ron Kuper from Cakewalk has already stated that it is not thread safe. You might want to contact him about the details.

Best

CH
nachivnik
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 604
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 18:19:56 (permalink)
I'd pay $10-20 for a DXi-only upgrade to disk streaming.
< Message edited by Howdy -- 2/5/2004 6:20:35 PM >
Speedsoft
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 18:30:19 (permalink)
Its not a general problem. Added to the bug list.

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
Speedsoft
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/05 18:36:48 (permalink)
If the DRC2 behaviour is not what you want, then call VS3 a RAM monster.

If DRC2 works like expected then you are not limited to RAM size and it has the same effect like disk streaming. And the effect is "play very large samples without being limited to your ram size".

Tom Langer
Speedsoft Audio Tools
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1