Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Finally
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 00:07:45 (permalink)
I've got the manual but I don't have the Vsampler. What would you like to know?

Just kidding...first post! This is great dialog for someone trying to decide whether to upgrade from 2XL to 3Pro. I'm really interested in getting a sampler and at this point am not upgrading for the other goodies. This is making me seriously consider Kompakt, Kontakt or some other option. Maybe I'll just wait for Sonar 4.0 that won't support or even allow Vsampler to load.
Hashbrown
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 00:26:59 (permalink)
So they're totally avoiding the disk streaming question but I believe its a legal issue. Someone might want to confirm this, but I remember a few months ago that Tascam was bringing lawsuits to all the sampler software makers who advertised "Disk Streaming". I think they are enforcing a patent on it or something. So Speedsoft can't say they have "dsik streaming" even if they have a technology that does the same thing. That's why they have to call it RC2- whatever.
Jim Wright
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1218
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 01:27:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bill OConnell

People who are ticked off post messages; people who are satisfied spend their time making music instead.

Oh jeez--my pet peeve. Here goes:

I hear the above more and more now from everybody, it seems.

Did God whisper this huge assumption into everyone's ear but mine?

It's like saying: "People who are sick are at the doctor's. All others are busy living happy, healthy lives."

Some people never post in forums. Some people tough it out themselves and never seek help. Some people just buy a different program and don't announce it.

Well, I'm sorry I pushed your button. The words "In general," should have appeared in front of "People who are ticked off post messages ...."; Or perhaps I should have said "People who are ticked off about a product tend to ...." vs. "people who are satisfied with a product tend to use it ....". I thought my general point was clear, but that's generalities for you.... And fwiw, God didn't whisper it in my ear, I've just fielded a lot of user comments over the years ....

The fact is we don't *know* what is going on with the huge number of people who never post on this forum, except for those with whom we are acquainted.

Nothing personal. Just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now. :-)

A bit further in the paragraph that ticked you off, I said:
I don't think anyone can draw conclusions about "the larger community" based on posts in this thread.

... so I think we're in violent agreement, at least on that point.
No offense intended.

My own pet peeves revolve around people who feel "entitled", who think they should get what they want because they want it.... Never mind. I'd better nip this rant in the bud. There are certainly legit issues around VSampler, on both sides, but I've written enough about that too.

And it's good that you feel better now :-)

Peace,

- Jim
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 12:03:42 (permalink)
Peace, Jim. :-)

Regards,

Bill The Curmudgeon
ecamburn
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 12:11:06 (permalink)
Translation: "No it won't use disk streaming it will use DRC2 which is just as good as disk streaming."

But you probably knew that already right?
lexinton
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 13:30:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ecamburn

Translation: "No it won't use disk streaming it will use DRC2 which is just as good as disk streaming."

But you probably knew that already right?

Ecamburn

Are you speaking from experience? What I mean is, is there anyone out there who has upgraded and has can tell us if you can store a sample on your hard drive and then trigger it sucessfully without overtaxing your ram?

The statement "If DRC2 works like expected," doesn't exactly exude confindence.
I don't really care about the extra $50 I just want to know if the darn thing works.

Lex
dhemery
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/07 20:05:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jim Wright

I understand why many of the posters are upset; I want a usable manual too.

What if we (the folks in this forum who are learning how to use it) wrote one?

Dale

[Web Site] [Songs] [Blog] [Biz] [CwD]
DaveM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 01:50:12 (permalink)

I sure would like to see a thread like this develop. I have just made the transition from hardware and tape to soft synths and computers, so I am trying to learn several new systems at once. So far, V-sampler has been the stumbling block. I have learned a lot about Sonar3PE and Reason in the last three weeks. I think a thread or link from board members who have figured out the features would be helpful. I have searched the forum a few times and I get a lot of advanced tips, and I am still missing some of the basics. The funny thing is I just talked a friend into buying Sonar3 Studio Edition. My main selling point was that Sonar had an excellent manual that anybody could learn the program from. (She was going to buy Cubase at first, but was afraid of the learning curve.)

Luckily I have Reason, which has a pair of samplers. I think I can record and prepare a file in Sonar, and export it as a .wav into Reason. This should work out until I can get a manual for V-sampler.

Dave
hdparker@optonline.net
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 02:23:54 (permalink)
i'm here to tell you that vsampler is the most confounding, confusing and user unfriendly application i have ever used. i have spent over 15 hrs of screwing around with this and i am seemingly further away in understanding this thing as when i started. i know that it's always darkest before the dawn but this is rediculous. i'm thinking about scrapping the entire program, sonar and all. the main reason i tried sonar was because of the integrated sampler. now, i find, that not only do i have to pay to upgrade to the full version, but the sampler itself is, to me, is entirly unuseable. it is so confusing i have lost my mind. the fact that we still don't have a manual to this rediculous thing is almost the most unbelieveable irony i've ever known.

sorry for the rant but i am comming off a two hour session of trying to figure out this thing with NO progress at all. i know it's powerful when you get it and that's what makes me crazy. i'll keep trying for a while but my patience is wearing extremely thin. advanced calculus was a walk in the park compared to this.

i wish all that are stuggling the best of luck,

dan
dhemery
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 04:11:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DaveM

I sure would like to see a thread like this develop.

I've started a thread called VSampler Basics: Questions and Answers. I'm hoping that we can reserve that thread for learning and teaching, and leave complaints to other threads (like this thread, for example).

Dale

daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 05:29:25 (permalink)
While I can understand people's frustrations about the manual issue,- and this disk streaming issue - lets not forget that virtual sampler is damn cheap.

I guess Kontakt would be the comparable sampler - how much more is that?

I personally use virtual sampler everyday in the studio and get a huge amount of ££££ use out of it.

It's not THAT difficult - I mean, it might take a few hours twiddling but it's quite straightforward really.

To add sampler functionality to sonar3pro virtual sampler does a fine job. Maybe Cakewalk should bring together all the info on the forums about how to use it and stick it in a Virtual sampler Help Forum.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
dhemery
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 07:35:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: daverich

It's not THAT difficult - I mean, it might take a few hours twiddling but it's quite straightforward really.

I just spent three hours clicking on the pics in the VSampler help and taking notes, and I'm starting to agree with you. I'm blown away by the functionality of this thing! And now that I understand something about how it's organized, I'm starting to get the hang of how to get around in it.

I keep comparing the VSampler interface to Reason's. Given that VSampler seems to include every reason device (except the sequencer) in a single unit, it seems fair to compare. I remember Reason being marvelously easy to learn, even though I knew next to nothing about basic synth and sampler features at the time. Reason came with a great manual that was barely necessary.

Compared to Reason, VSampler has been a larger hurdle for me... and I'm starting to see that leaping that hurdle is worth the pain and frustration.

Dale

Art5
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 07:59:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Scott Reams

On a human level, I totally agree.

Technically... they may have the upper hand, because what you paid for with Sonar3P was VSampler3... which does not have and does not advertise having disk streaming.

-S

I have previously defended those critcizing Maz on this Forum. However, I swear that I read on his web page that V3.1 would be a free upgrade to all
registered VSampler users, and Disk streaming was listed as a 3.1 feature,
not a Standalone 3.1 feature. VSampler was the main reason I purchased
Sonar3 Producer and Calkwalk advertized it a the premier feature.
I am now getting a bit tired of Sonar 3 users being treated as second class
Vsampler users.
If it was Maz's intention to charge for the 3.1 upgrade he should have not
advertized it a free for anyone.
Art5
adrian.crossan
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 11:00:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Art5

I have previously defended those critcizing Maz on this Forum. However, I swear that I read on his web page that V3.1 would be a free upgrade to all
registered VSampler users, and Disk streaming was listed as a 3.1 feature,
not a Standalone 3.1 feature. VSampler was the main reason I purchased
Sonar3 Producer and Calkwalk advertized it a the premier feature.
I am now getting a bit tired of Sonar 3 users being treated as second class
Vsampler users.
If it was Maz's intention to charge for the 3.1 upgrade he should have not
advertized it a free for anyone.
Art5

maz-sound website says this:

"Note to users of VSampler 3.0 OEM versions (such as "VSampler 3.0 DXi“ of Cakewalk Sonar 3 Producer):
Added VSampler 3.1 functions which are marked yellow require a valid registration key for the full VSampler 3 VSTi-DXi-Standalone package. They will not be available in combination with registration keys of bundled OEM-versions of VSampler 3.0, which are licensed and distributed by 3rd parties as part of their own products. All other added functions and generally all bugfixes are available for every(!) registered VSampler 3 user as free update from our own website and from the OEM partner."

In short, owners of the version bundled with SONAR 3 will get all bugfixes, but only a subset of new functionality.
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
RE: Cakewalk, do you think it's fair what vsampler has done. 2004/02/08 17:05:01 (permalink)
In short, owners of the version bundled with SONAR 3 will get all bugfixes, but only a subset of new functionality

IOW, Maz gets the goldmine, we get the shaft.

Best

CH
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1