Helpful Reply*** Did you know! Helpful thread about SONAR & SONAR X1***

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/28 05:18:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
....that's its a new “Bitbridge-Server configuration” in SONAR 8.5 64bit?

Do you have bad crackle audio in SONAR 8.5.1, 64bit with 32bit or 64bit “plugins?
This can be because of the new VST-Server function that are included in SONAR 8.5.1 64bit.
You can always try this and see if it help!

New Bitbridge-Server configuration
To change this setting:

1. In SONAR 8.5 Go to ---> Options
  2. Go to: “Global”
  3. Go to---> ”VST-plugins” tab
  4. Inside that you find “Bitbridge-Server configuration”.
  5. As you all can see is set to “Automatic”
  6. Change it to dedicated server instead. SERVER 1,2,3 or 4.
  7. Note; It always jump back to “Automatic”-setting always, but it will always remembers all the different "servers"-locations; that has been in use, previously in the project.

Under special circumstances in SONAR 8.5, 64bit; in use of “special”-plugins, same server needs to be used to function and work correctly.
Those plugins needs always to use the same, specific “dedicated-server", for all its instances of that “special” plugins. If not, that plugin will make the audio crackle in SONAR or even worse, make plugin or SONAR 8.5 crash.

An example of this kind of “special”-plugin is; "Melodynebridge"---> in bitbridge mode.
I use the example: “Server 4” for all my instances of "Melodynebridge"-plugins.
Under this special circumstances you need manual locate everytime the SERVER, (in this example the “SERVER 4”); that you want to use for all those "special plugins", that needs to use the same “specific-dedicated”-server to work correctly in SONAR 8.5, 64bit.

New PACE-64bit driver

Also the new PACE, Native 64bit-driver help a lot that you can find here. END USER or TOOL-driver if you use iLok key.  After un-installed the old PACE-driver. Don't forget to "cold, restart" your computer before you install the new 64bit driver! Very Important!

http://www.paceap.com/

Hope all INFO helps!

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/09/28 07:34:18

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Fret Wizz
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/28 05:36:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Are you sure it isn't saved Feddie?

I just followed your instructions above.

Set the Bit-Bridge Server to 1.
Then loaded a 32 bit VSTi (Drumatic3.1 by ePhonic)

The I save the project  and closed SONAR.

The I ran SONAR again and opened the same project.

Then I went back to Global>VSTPLugins>Bit-Bridge server Configuration.
Sure, it looked like it's been reset to "Automatic" but, when I clicked on the
arrow I could see server 1 was being used and had allocated  17.6 Mb of ram
to Drumatic.

I seem to remember someone saying here before:
To get different VSTs on different server, you choose server then
choose a VST(i).

If you want the next VST(i) on a different server,
first choose a different server, then insert the softsynth.
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/28 07:24:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

Yes Fret you 100 % correct!
It always remembers all the servers that has been used previously always. I'm very sorry that I wasn't explained correctly what I meant, and more clearly in my earlier post. I will edit that...now

Under special circumstances in SONAR 8.5, 64bit; in use of “special”-plugins, same server needs to be used to function and work correctly.
Those plugins needs always to use the same, specific “dedicated-server", for all its instances of that “special” plugins. If not, that plugin will make the audio crackle in SONAR or even worse, make plugin or SONAR 8.5 crash.

An example of this kind of “special”-plugin is; "Melodynebridge"---> in bitbridge mode.
Under this special circumstances you need manual locate everytime the SERVER, (in this example the “SERVER 4”); that you want to use for all those "special plugins", that needs to use the same “specific-dedicated”-server to work correctly in SONAR 8.5, 64bit.

Thanks for pointing all this out Fret!
Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/09/28 07:37:56

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/28 15:03:25 (permalink)
Bump!  Feel Free to submit more great tips!

Hope more people have tips to share...

musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/28 17:23:34 (permalink)
lorneyb2

I got the Dx shell wrapper (suggested by EMWHY above) to work. One word of caution though, If you have any expired demo versions or previous dxi's that did not function even in 32 bit they will be brought in and wreck the scan.  Eliminate any that you don't use anyway to be sure.  I think this may have been one of Papi's problems.  

When you do a VST rescan in 8.5 it also replaces the 8.3.1 scan info as well so if you crash it you won't be able to get 8.3.1 to work either.

Did you get it to work with Cakewalk's dx plugs (fxreverb, fxchorus, fxdelay...)? I couldn't make it happen due to Sonar thinking I was using their proprietary plugs in a different app. Let me know...

Thanks,

Dave
Songs

Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 02:31:34 (permalink)
I will try this....

Fret Wizz
  • Total Posts : 581
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 03:39:21 (permalink)
Freddie H

Yes Fret you 100 % correct!
It always remembers all the servers that has been used previously always. I'm very sorry that I wasn't explained correctly what I meant, and more clearly in my earlier post. I will edit that...now

Thanks for pointing all this out Fret!
Regards
Freddie

OK I get it now.
Hopefully, Bit-Bridge will evolve and eventually
become more configurable, and easier to assign
a server to a particular plugin and be able to save
that configuration.

Your work on this thread and others is much appreciated Freddie.
post edited by Fret Wizz - 2009/09/29 03:40:34
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 09:36:55 (permalink)
Thanks Fret! Your work too!

Regards
Freddie

puffer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 10:16:51 (permalink)
That's actually a good question. I just looked and there doesn't appear to be an export to ptn option.

Does anyone know of a tutorial about creating custom arp patterns directly in Sonar, or is it feature request time? 

ducatibruce2

Think of PTN files a MIDI groove loops. They are functionally the same.

To build your own arpeggios,  the Sonar arpeggiator only allows you to load PTN files though - how do you convert a Midi groove loop to a PTN file in S8.5.1?

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
ducatibruce2
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 10:30:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

Does anyone know of a tutorial about creating custom arp patterns directly in Sonar, or is it feature request time?

AFAIK you can currently only create PTN files in (edit to add- discontinued) Project 5, a search of the Sonar 8.5 help file shows no mention of creating or modifying PTN files, so I guess it's Feature Request time.
If you're interested in the Sonar Arpeggiator you might find this thread interesting http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1831860
post edited by ducatibruce2 - 2009/09/29 10:33:13

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 16:20:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
musicroom

lorneyb2

I got the Dx shell wrapper (suggested by EMWHY above) to work. One word of caution though, If you have any expired demo versions or previous dxi's that did not function even in 32 bit they will be brought in and wreck the scan.  Eliminate any that you don't use anyway to be sure.  I think this may have been one of Papi's problems.  

When you do a VST rescan in 8.5 it also replaces the 8.3.1 scan info as well so if you crash it you won't be able to get 8.3.1 to work either.

Did you get it to work with Cakewalk's dx plugs (fxreverb, fxchorus, fxdelay...)? I couldn't make it happen due to Sonar thinking I was using their proprietary plugs in a different app. Let me know...

Thanks,

Hi Dave! =)

No, I'm sorry, I'm afraid not! It doesn't work with the DX-wrapper!
But there are so many other plugins that so far much better that work in SONAR 8.5. 64bit. Example,  Lexicon Reverb, PerfectSpace, all Sonitus FX and so on... all included in SONAR and 98% of all plugins are in Native 64bit. Now there even more FX:s in SONAR 8.5, you have example the new Project 5 series too.

Also, almost all SONY DX Plugins that comes with Sound forge work with the DX-wrapper too.

Regards
Freddie 

musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 16:37:18 (permalink)
Freddie H

musicroom

lorneyb2

Thanks,

Hi Dave! =)

No, I'm sorry, I'm afraid not! It doesn't work with the DX-wrapper!
But there are so many other plugins that so far much better that work in SONAR 8.5. 64bit. Example,  Lexicon Reverb, PerfectSpace, all Sonitus FX and so on... all included in SONAR and 98% of all plugins are in Native 64bit. Now there even more FX:s in SONAR 8.5, you have example the new Project 5 series too.

Also, almost all SONY DX Plugins that comes with Sound forge work with the DX-wrapper too.

Regards
Freddie 

Thanks Freddie,

I think you're right - however, the settings Jonas has in his template for the fxreverb are sooooo nice. I can get close using lexicon, and even surpass it up using wizooverb. But I want to use the fxreverb over those choices. The cpu and latency hits make this a great reverb to track vocals! I have a feature request in for Cake to make these 64bit --- and --- if they do, keep the current sound and settings intact. Hopefully they will - but I imagine I am one of a few that is asking...

BTW - I couldn't get P5's studioverb to work in 64bit using this wrapper either.

Take Care,

Dave
Songs

arkiruthis
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 343
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 17:34:38 (permalink)
Post by Freddie H -> further down!

post edited by arkiruthis - 2009/09/30 09:18:18
arkiruthis
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 17:47:41 (permalink)
Sorry, that post SHOULD have been informative, but I'm giving up on this forum software. I'm fed up of losing text, being unable to format text, etc.

Text that was small leaped to big. A sentence turned itself into strike-through when I added the image?!? I tried to resize the text small and the preview wouldn't work and then it decided to make everything HUGE ****ING FONT.

Sorry about this Freddie, was trying to be helpful, but if you can reproduce/reformat the advice I'll delete my post.

Seriously, this text editor is WHACK and I can't be bothered fighting with it's seemingly random behaviour any more.
post edited by arkiruthis - 2009/09/29 17:58:25
Deisel401rs
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/29 18:03:34 (permalink)
I'm having a few problems with 8.5.1.  Standard toolbars aren't normal. No save button, no flyover info windows, only 3 template options. Maybe re-installing 8 and 8.5 using the instructions in this thread would solve these problems ?

Core 2 Quad Q8300, 8 gigs DDR2, WIN7 x64,Sonar PE 8.7.7, SATA WD650gig(primary), SATA WD160gig(audio),SATA Maxtor(loops,samples) WD320gig external(backup), MOTU 828mkII, Line 6 UX8, ,  Alesis DM5, Edirol PCR-M80, Wharfedale 8.1s, '86 Les Paul Studio Lite, Fender Blackout Tele, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric Bass, Schecter Deluxe Bass, Dean Luna Acoustic, Line 6 500 Variax. Keeley Compressor, Line 6 PODXT Live, Roland GR-20 Synth.
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 01:54:15 (permalink)
arkiruthis

Sorry, that post SHOULD have been informative, but I'm giving up on this forum software. I'm fed up of losing text, being unable to format text, etc.

Text that was small leaped to big. A sentence turned itself into strike-through when I added the image?!? I tried to resize the text small and the preview wouldn't work and then it decided to make everything HUGE ****ING FONT.

Sorry about this Freddie, was trying to be helpful, but if you can reproduce/reformat the advice I'll delete my post.

Seriously, this text editor is WHACK and I can't be bothered fighting with it's seemingly random behaviour any more.

Yes I know! =)
This Forum-software isn't the best one I have used!

Its okay my friend, "Arkiruthis"... I think we get the point anyway!

Regards
Freddie

Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 02:07:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
How to get the standard SONAR buttons with BitBridge!
Submitted by Arkiruthis

1. Hold down SHIFT when you double-click on a 32bit FX in the FX bin. This work also in Console-view and in the synth-rack entry.

2. As you can see on the picture you have now access to the "Presets", the Solo-button  [RD][W], and also the ACT controls.

Very handy tip I must say...I think there are many more then me that didn't know all this until now. Thanks a lot Arkiruthis.

Regards
Freddie

Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 02:22:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Did you know....that you can open all your VST-Instruments "Editors" with just double click on "VST-Inputs" ---> that you will find, in top ^ --> "VST-I-input" in Console-view?

Now you know you can open all your VST:s from there too! I use it all the time!
Many of us use 2 monitors ,3 or more Screens, so often you have the Console-View (The Mixer) on the right Screen open always.  

post edited by Freddie H - 2009/10/02 08:10:49

Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 03:11:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Moving Hidden Child Windows Out of the Way When Using Bitbridge:

You know those times when Bitbridge/Sonar seems to lock up, disabling the use of the mouse pointer?  Well, that's due to hidden child Windows (a window behind another window).  You solve this by right-clicking on the hidden window's minimized form (found on the Task bar) and selecting "Move".  This will automatically bring the mouse pointer on top of the title bar of the hidden child window so that you can move it out of the way.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 04:13:48 (permalink)
Thanks Freddie,

I think you're right - however, the settings Jonas has in his template for the fxreverb are sooooo nice. I can get close using lexicon, and even surpass it up using wizooverb. But I want to use the fxreverb over those choices. The cpu and latency hits make this a great reverb to track vocals! I have a feature request in for Cake to make these 64bit --- and --- if they do, keep the current sound and settings intact. Hopefully they will - but I imagine I am one of a few that is asking...

BTW - I couldn't get P5's studioverb to work in 64bit using this wrapper either.

Take Care,

Okay Dave, my friend! =)

P5 Studio, naa it doesn't work either.. I think they will update that too in the next upcoming Free update.
I think Cakewalk didn't make it, "in time", update it to 64 bit before the release of SONAR 8.5.

I hope Cakewalk fix the rest of Cakewalk plugins that you already mentioned and requested.
I think we all would like that!

See ya' =)
Regards
Freddie

arkiruthis
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/09/30 09:19:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Thanks Freddie, I've deleted my post. Haha, it won't even let me change the font size on the post contents, even though i've deleted the original text and just added a new sentence! lol... ah well.

[EDIT - btw, you know you can open your VSTi editors also by double-clicking on the little MIDI icon, the little Audio icon or the little Instrument Track icon on the track headers? ]
post edited by arkiruthis - 2009/09/30 09:30:37
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/10/01 02:34:51 (permalink)
bump

wetdentist
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1129
Re:*** Did you know....Helpful thread about SONAR 8.5.1!*** 2009/10/01 10:46:04 (permalink)
i am really digging this thread and have learned some new stuff! keep it coming

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
my new sounds: The Das Kaput

feedback50
  • Total Posts : 564
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/01 12:19:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Maybe you all are aware of this, but it came as a recent revelation to me….

Some plugins have additional controls that are not shown in their instrument faceplate graphical representation on screen. (The UAD Plate140 is one of them). Although some other DAWs seem to have a more comprehensive solution for this (like presenting an optional parametric-only view of the entire plugin interface showing all controls), Sonar can also access these optional parameters.

To access the parameters from the track inspector click the arrows to the right of the Display tab at the bottom of the track inspector and select FX / Show Assignable Controls. Next, right click a control in the track inspector (below the efx bin of the track inspector), select Reassign Control, and choose the additional plugin parameter you wish to adjust.

For a better visual-explanation you might want to visit the UAD web site and see the last video (far right) for the Plate140 which shows how to do this in several DAWs including Sonar. I have no idea what all plugins this might apply to, but it may be worth investigating IMHO.

cmusicmaker
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2328
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/01 12:49:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Something that for some reason I never really found until recently...right click on the Large Transport for the following options...

You can show or hide many aspects of the Large Transport with the simple right click menu above.

Side note: Also...I have updated my Sonar reviews (in my sig) 8.5 is in progress.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/01 12:55:40 (permalink)
Yes that has been there for a very long time. So can we talk about things that are not just new in Sonar 8.5.1?

Best
John
Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/01 13:30:28 (permalink)
Of course, my friend.! 

I did already state that you can, in my first post!
I have edit the "thread name" and the 1-post so this are much more clear now! =)
Thanks for pointing that out, John!

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/10/01 13:39:13

Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/02 08:03:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Did you know ...how to work with "clips" and change "busses" without the Audio engine stops and make any drop-outs in SONAR 8?

Are you also getting annoyed that you can't move, cut, audio-clips or midi-clips without getting audio dropouts all the time, in the same time as SONAR plays the project? The same thing happens when you changing "Busses" or "Sends"?
It just killing your workflow for ya' all day long in the studio?

Actually you can do all this in realtime, without SONAR stops or make any dropouts, even if it plays the Project!

1. In SONAR go to---> Options

2. Go to---> "Audio"-Options

3. Go to--> "Advanced"-Tab

4. Inside "Advanced": Check ----> "Enable Read Caching" and set the "Playback I/O-Buffer Size"-value to= "256"

5. Inside "Advanced": Check, ---> "Always Open All Devices" and when you at it, check also ---> "Play effect Tails after stopping"!

6. Hit "Apply" and then "OK"

As you now can see with amazing, SONAR works without "stop" or "dropouts" while you moving clips, making edit, in the same time as the project playing in background! You can now also change all the Bus-settings /sends too without SONAR dropout or stops playing the project. 

Great isn't it!
Hope it help!

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/10/02 15:02:11

Freddie H
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/02 15:02:37 (permalink)
Have a nice weekend all! =)

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re:*** Did you know....Control of additional plugin parameters 2009/10/03 09:20:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Time to bump this up.

Here's one for M-Audio Delta users who plan on or are already toying with Win 7 in 64 bit mode.

1. Use the Vista SP 2 driver instead of the new beta Win 7 driver, you may have to "massage" the instal, but it works better than the beta for now.

2. You will notice after the reboot, that the next time you try to shut down your PC it will hang.

3. Here's the solution form a very astute user on the M-Audio forums:

1) Create a .bat file (create txt file and change extention to .bat)

2) Right Click on file > "edit" and enter following info:
net stop "Audiosrv"
net stop "AudioEndpointBuilder"

3) Save file as "Audio stop"(or whatever you want) to your main drive ie: C:\Audio stop

4) Open "run" from start menu and enter "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) and hit "OK"

5) Now navigate from right pain of window "User Configuration" > "Windows Settings" > "scripts (Logon/Logoff)" > "Logoff"

6) From window that opens from clicking "Logoff" Click "Add" then browse to where you saved "Audio Stop.bat" earlier and double click on it.

7) Hit "Apply" and close.

You are done
Windows 7 will now Automatically stop the Audio services when Shutting Down or Restarting allowing system to complete the process.

Also, you may notice depending on your PC's power plan that the machine does not "wake-up" without needing a reboot. This is an M-Audio driver issue related to "Hybrid Sleep"which they wont support and is a PITA. I tried this and it worked for me in Win 7 RC so I'll assume it will also work in the RTM version:

1. Go to Control Panel and click on Power Options.

2. In the left column click on Change When Computer sleeps

3. On the next page click on Change Advanced Power Settings

4. A new menu will pop up, scroll down until you see "Sleep" and click on the "+"

5. Turn off Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate and you're all set. The machine will "wake-up" with M-Audio cards installed.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1