Helpful ReplyDiscontinuing the EZine for 2017

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/02 23:36:50 (permalink)
Anderton
You'll keep seeing the "Friday's Tip of the Week," I'll stay involved in the forums, continue to give workshops and seminars on it, and look for ways that SONAR can get the recognition it rightfully deserves (as well as nudge the developers to improve it).

That's good to know. Would you be kind enough to nudge the suits on service and support, too?

I'm glad you're feeling the respect and gratitude. It's recognition that's well-deserved.
melmyers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/02 23:42:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2017/02/03 10:02:50
"We found that the EZine as a PDF and shared through our website and the forum was not the best way of delivery information to all our customers." It appears we will be educated soon as to what IS the best way. 

For me, the EZine was a great way to get up-to-speed on Sonar changes. I downloaded each one to my tablet for easy reference. It remains to be seen how Cakewalk can top this.

Videos are nice, but it's doubtful that all EZine-type data can be covered in videos. Assembling the information and producing a video takes a lot more work than assembling information and putting it out as a PDF.

The only problem with the EZine is the fact that Cakewalk didn't make it available directly from the Command Center with program updates. I'll be monitoring to see if Cakewalk provides us with a true improvement...or just needless change that provides us with less information than we'd like. 

Mel Myers
Producer/Songwriter/Voiceover Talent
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 09:55:23 (permalink)
I do hate to come off as judgemental and overtly opinionated,especially for an old Zep Head Hippie,but this Mr Lance Riley looks a bit straight,and overtly conservative within an artistic medium of music creation,I'm wondering if my judging the book by it's cover has something to do with the decision,like ALL of Gibson's minute foray into Left Handed Electric Guitars having RIGHT HANDED volume and tone controls,where as Fender,ESP,Ibanez realize we NEED to control our guitars gain and sound like a Right Handed Person-Rolling the Volume UP usually with one's little finger towards the rear strap button end and upwards-anticlockwise!

After waiting 30 years for an affordable REAL Les Paul,albeit the the 2010 Left Hand Studio,with weight relief,only to be horrified there was no way it was playable Live in stock condition. I do wonder if Craig's enormous input is being handled with the same thinking?
Bob
post edited by bobguitkillerleft - 2017/02/03 10:52:28

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 11:05:19 (permalink)
I will miss the eZine as well.  I will look towards Harmony Central more now and keep on looking at Sound on Sound as his SONAR articles there are great!  BTW, let us know when the Big Book of Tips Vol 2 is released.  I will buy that too!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 11:06:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/02/06 09:12:09

I too, like many others, am extremely sad that the EZine has been discontinued.

In fact, contrary to the reasons stated for it being discontinued, I actually think it was a really good and effective mode of information delivery. Firstly, all the information regarding the update itself including the files to download and the brief on all the updated features. Apart from that, the extras and tips, etc. It was a very convenient document to be able to save and refer back offline at any time without having to connect to the web to refer to the update information.

Needless to say, a lot of effort must have gone into the production of this document.

Kudos to Craig and all the other contributors of the document. Please be assured that all your effort was indeed very useful and valued by Sonar users.

I sure hope that whichever "better" mode of information delivery gets introduced would include a similar downloadable pdf document as an option in any case because that was what made the EZine mode effective.
Thanks once again to Craig and the whole EZine team.

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120
WallyG
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 12:12:40 (permalink)
Anderton...FWIW in all the threads commenting on eZine articles or on the eZine itself, there was never a comment that the PDF format was unsuitable for any reason....

Honestly, I didn't know or care that it was .pdf.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 12:22:16 (permalink)
Anderton
burkek
PDFs are generally not accessible (unless specifically made so), don't re-flow on a mobile device with a small screen, and sometimes require a third-party viewer just to see them. Definitely a no-brainer to discontinue the format.

KEv

Actually you really don't need a reader at all, which is a good thing because I’m not a fan of Acrobat. Google and Chrome include efficient built-in readers, the Mac’s Preview app reads PDFs, Linux distributions come with a PDF reader like Evince, iPhones and iPads have built-in PDF support, and of course Android has a built-in PDF viewer. 

Before deciding to use the PDF format, I tested on iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Mac and Windows desktops and laptops, and with third-party PDF viewers (e.g., Foxit), as well as the one from Adobe. Everything loaded exactly as it was supposed to and scaled appropriately to the screen size. I used 12 point instead of 10 or 9 point fonts to make the eZine readable on small screens. I also verified that the content inside the PDF was discoverable by Google. 

I felt it was important for the eZine to have production values - text flow around images, no widows, appropriate page breaks and line spacings, plenty of graphics, etc. The PDF format preserved all the page layout elements perfectly on all the devices tested above. My assumption was that most people would read it on a mobile device, on a desktop, or download into something like an iPad. The PDF accommodated all of those options while preserving the layout, and had the benefit of global universality.

FWIW in all the threads commenting on eZine articles or on the eZine itself, there was never a comment that the PDF format was unsuitable for any reason. I don't think anyone expected it to be an eBook formatted for something like the Kindle.

PDF is and was clearly the best format choice for anything to distribute for both off and on-line viewing.  It is virtually universal cross platform.   
ebibault51
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 12:33:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2017/02/24 12:00:31
First strategic error of the Gibson era... The EZines were soooo good! Thank you Craig and all the team.
Written content is the base to understand such a complicated software, the videos are only add-ons.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
DigitalShaman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/03 13:59:48 (permalink)
Oh man how did I not know about the eZine? And now that it's gone I'm going to miss it. I'm off to read some back issues. Thanks for your work Craig!

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 pro 64
Dell Precision T5400 Dual Quad Core
16 gig RAM 1tb Caviar Black 200 gig SSD
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
BFD2
davidpa
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/04 03:44:49 (permalink)
What a Shame! It was a wonderful resource. Thanks for the effort Craig.
dcmg
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/04 10:31:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2017/02/24 12:01:04
I just realized that I've been a consumer/beneficiary of Mr. Anderton's work for many years in many formats, tho I may not have always been aware of it as such. I will continue to do so, but now will search it out with more specificity. 
If CW leans more on video for updates ( and some of these are quite good as far as content) I hope they put some thought to organization. I find looking for info on specific features in video to be a mish-mash, with too much time wasted on outdated information of simply info that is tied to old versions. 
I love the rolling update model, but it does present some unique challenges; I hope Mr Anderton's input is greatly involved in how those challenges are met.

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
vdd
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/05 16:54:35 (permalink)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!
PDF PDF PDF!
BTW: Thanks for the Update of the PDF-manual of Sonar!!!!!

Or: A good documentation is a key indicator of software quality. That is not reduced to the code itself. The improved help system last year was one of the most important updates, at least from my point of view. The new PDF version of the manual is gold! 2762 pages!

I don't want new features just teased in a YT video from some cool & funny guys. It is way more important to explain how to use the features in detail.

That is why the eZine & Friday tipps are so great: There is always a use-case for a feature which helps to figure out what I can do. The eZine was the source of information when travelling around to know what to do at the weekend. Combined with the great forum I have a chance to learn enough to utelize the software the right way (for me).

S-Plat x64 / i7-4790-3.60GHZ, 32GB RAM, Win 7 x64, Akai MPC Studio, Arturia Microbrute, Doepfer A-100, VTB-1, RME HDSPe
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/06 20:10:00 (permalink)
melmyers
The only problem with the EZine is the fact that Cakewalk didn't make it available directly from the Command Center with program updates. I'll be monitoring to see if Cakewalk provides us with a true improvement...or just needless change that provides us with less information than we'd like. 

I think it is an interesting point... kind of integrating the "What's new" webpage into the command center.

BTW I loved the ezine, so expectations are high for the future... without adding too much pressure on our Anderton friend. We wish him to remain healthy AND to have the opportunity to have some more family time than last year... ;-)

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/06 20:51:56 (permalink)
I'd like to see an editorial committee formed by forum members to publish a monthly ezine.

Obviously the release notes are Cakewalks and no-one else's, but there's information similar to what was in the ezine that could be provided by the members.

There's no reason we couldn't "Follow a project from start to finish"and provide all the elements necessary. We can do reviews, tips and tricks with Sonar you name it.

We do a lot of grunt work in providing help on the forum, beta testing, early access testing, maintain a resource library of Sonar utilities created by members, create new Themes and forum hosts (moderators).

An editorial committee could keep it all straight and make sure the quality and integrity of the finished product meets Cakewalks standards.

That's an extensive voluntary involvement by people commited to the success of Sonar and the people who use it. Why not tap into the membership to create something unique to the industry thereby elevating everyone in this community.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 16:36:38 (permalink)
Mudgel, I really appreciate your "can-do" spirit. I actually did reach out to some SONARians, and both Jerry Gerber and SubtleArts submitted "Anatomy of a SONAR Project" articles. They were great additions to the eZine.

My main concern over your proposal is actually getting contributions. Any kind of venture like the eZine requires a fanatical devotion to hitting deadlines, so while people may have the best of intentions, reality often intrudes unless there's a paycheck involved 

However, because of the community input in this thread, I feel a responsibility to come up with a proposal for something that would be a logical (and welcome) successor to the eZine. When I do, I'll present it to Cakewalk and see what they think. One of my goals will be to, as you said so eloquently, "tap into the membership to create something unique to the industry thereby elevating everyone in this community"...but do so in a way that contributors do it out of enjoyment, not because it's an obligation.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 16:47:31 (permalink)
So in that vein...

Congratulations!! Anyone reading this is the "Editorial Director" of the next-gen Cakewalk eZine. What would you like to see, specifically if there are things that weren't in the late, great predecessor? Also, would you like to see more of individual features (e.g., more reviews, more techniques articles, more "Anatomy of a SONAR Project," etc.)?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
telecharge
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 19:04:26 (permalink)
Anderton
My main concern over your proposal is actually getting contributions. Any kind of venture like the eZine requires a fanatical devotion to hitting deadlines, so while people may have the best of intentions, reality often intrudes unless there's a paycheck involved 

Yep, this has been my experience with several international online collaborations. People talk a good game, but when it comes time for the rubber to meet the road, they don't deliver.
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 21:57:22 (permalink)
Anderton
So in that vein...

Congratulations!! Anyone reading this is the "Editorial Director" of the next-gen Cakewalk eZine. What would you like to see, specifically if there are things that weren't in the late, great predecessor? Also, would you like to see more of individual features (e.g., more reviews, more techniques articles, more "Anatomy of a SONAR Project," etc.)?

I dunno Craig. As you can see from the feedback in this thread, there was so little wrong with the ezine, that it would be tough to improve it very much. One thing I would like to see, though, is embedded video links accompanying the articles. There are so many videos on YTube for Sonar, many by community members. Many technical articles that appeared in the past ezines could have benefited from video links - with videos illustrating the subject matter in detail. Just a thought.........

P.S. Personally, I think it would be cool if a comprehensive article and video was produced involving Sonar installation in graphic detail - what can/cannot be done (including, yes, any and all custom installation options), and how to do it. I know John started a Command Center How-To thread that I thought was going to be in the ezine (then again, maybe it was and I missed it).

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
telecharge
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 22:48:04 (permalink)
I like the idea of a multimedia magazine -- to use an old-fashioned term. What do the kids call it these days? Immersive experience something-something...
Notecrusher
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/07 23:17:16 (permalink)
As long as Cake provides good text-based release notes for every update I'll be happy. 
mudgel
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 02:01:52 (permalink)
Definitely more specific Sonar techniques.
A mix competition. Kudos could be a prize rather some material object.
A mix could be a regular part.
There's plenty of material on the forums to provide one set of stems each month.

As to the negativity to my idea, well that's just what it is; negativity.

Please don't predict an outcome before you've had a chance to do the work. In any case Craig, this post was really not aimed at you exclusively. Perhaps we don't all want to be consumers of your work alone. Perhaps it would be more reflective of the membership if others were more involved too.

It's easy to say that it will fail and not try.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 08:20:54 (permalink)
Anderton
No, it's not the malcontents who are pushing me into the background. This forum remains someplace where if I was filthy rich, I'd fly all the regulars to a party. That would include you 

You mean publishing that e-zine didn't make you filthy rich yet? I'm mystified. 

Anyway let me add my voice to the litany of thanks. I'm also happy I got to contribute to one of them, even if I didn't always read them all cover to cover (life is busy and full of distractions). It seemed like a good concept, and added value to the updates, but I'm sure you'll find *something* to do with all the spare time you're suddenly faced with... and if you do get filthy rich from whatever it is, I'm definitely looking forward to that party! 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
mudgel
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 09:56:03 (permalink)
So Craig: will you fly Australian residents to US for the party?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Anderton
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 10:42:10 (permalink)
mudgel
Please don't predict an outcome before you've had a chance to do the work. In any case Craig, this post was really not aimed at you exclusively. Perhaps we don't all want to be consumers of your work alone. Perhaps it would be more reflective of the membership if others were more involved too.

It's easy to say that it will fail and not try.

Don't misunderstand, I think what you're proposing would be good, just difficult to pull off (I have quite a bit of experience working in volunteer situations). I think it would be risky to start a monthly eZine replacement based on volunteer efforts. 

A more workable strategy IMHO would be to integrate community involvement a step at a time into whatever Cakewalk chooses as a replacement. A good experiment would be to ask for contributions to "Anatomy of a SONAR Project" since I assume everyone does SONAR projects. However, in the first article of that series I did solicit contributions from the community, but no one responded. Also, I tried to instigate a community-driven "Tip of the Week" in the Techniques forum but after 2+ years, there have been fewer than 30 tips, and no new tips since May 2015. 

So any such effort would need someone to co-ordinate it all, which I think would take quite a bit of effort. However if someone was up for doing it, that would be great.

mudgel
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 11:57:03 (permalink)
It was the same when I wanted to get the Sonar utilities off the ground. There was negativity around that project but I put in the work and it happened with the communities support.

I find in these situations, getting a dialog happening is vital in finding the viability and or direction of a project. It doesn't follow that every area that I mentioned has to be produced from the beginning. It could simply start with a monthly mix or remix project. Just an example mind you of something I've frequently discussed but never pushed for the forum support to make it happen.

Anyway I'll keep talking about the general idea and see if something crystallises. Thanks Craig.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

mudgel
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 11:59:54 (permalink)
Btw you didn't answer my question about flying Aussies to your party. -:)

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

ebibault51
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 13:43:46 (permalink)
Cakewalk has made remarkable efforts for international audiences. You can now use international versions and manuals (in German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian...).

I have to say that replacing a pdf file by videos is a step backward for international users. It is not easy for foreigners to understand videos that are not subtitled (even in English). Would you all be able to learn SONAR with a video that would be in a foreign language? I'm not sure.

When you learn with a pdf, you can have a short break and search for this word that you don't understand. When you watch a video, you sometimes don't understand the word and therefore cannot search for it.

SONAR Platinum - Intel i5-3570 @ 3,40 GHz, 4 cores - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - Windows 10 (64 bits) - Roland QUAD-CAPTURE (ASIO mode) - Roland JUNO-G - Roland A-300PRO - AKAI MPK mini
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 13:50:14 (permalink)
ebibault51
 It is not easy for foreigners to understand videos

Play them slower and turn up the volume (do I need a smiley here?)
telecharge
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/08 16:59:34 (permalink)
I understood the videos to be supplement, not a replacement.
patm300e
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Discontinuing the EZine for 2017 2017/02/09 06:39:51 (permalink)
mudgel
A mix competition. Kudos could be a prize rather some material object.
A mix could be a regular part.

I started one in the Techniques column...
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Mixing-Practice-m3537464.aspx

Did not get a lot of takers, but the ones that did do the mixes did an awesome job!
Also there are links to several projects where you can download the tracks, stems or finished project.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1