Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tbaroni
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
2014/01/31 18:43:49 (permalink)

Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  You create a project, then start entering lyrics via the Lyrics View.  At some point, usually well into the song, additional lyrics cause unwanted notes to begin to appear throughout your project.

I'd love to know if anyone has discovered how to avoid this, it is utterly frustrating, particularly because undo will not undo the damage!

Also frustrating is that after reporting this problem and spending well over an hour on the phone with Cakewalk support, sending files so they could reproduce the problem (which they did), nothing has happened since! 

..    Tony
..    HP Pavilion P6000, Windows 7 - 64bit, Sonar X2 Studio (build 306) x64, Tascam US-144 mkII, Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103

30 Replies Related Threads

Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/01/31 19:12:22 (permalink)
    That's weird, on the plus side you may have hit a brilliant alternative method of song writing.
    Sounds like a bug to me. If you are interested you could try the X3 demo to see if this is fixed, but make sure you backup your system first.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    heydan
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/01/31 21:24:07 (permalink)
    tbaroni
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?  You create a project, then start entering lyrics via the Lyrics View.  At some point, usually well into the song, additional lyrics cause unwanted notes to begin to appear throughout your project.

I'd love to know if anyone has discovered how to avoid this, it is utterly frustrating, particularly because undo will not undo the damage!

Hey tbaroni,
    Yes, I've had this long running problem also, as well as vice versa (multiple duplicate word or phrase lyric entries showing up in lyrics view when editing notes in staff view). Yeah, it can be aggravating to try to work with. Sorry, no amount of tinkering with settings has helped me either, so yes, with the history of the staff view around here, it looks like it's shaping up to be a bug.  I've not filed a problem report on it.  As CakeAlexS suggests, may-may-maybe we've stu-stumbled onto the Ma-Ma-Max Head-Head-Head-Headroom method of songwriting. 
    Best,
    HeyDan 

Win 10x64, GigabyteGA-990FXA-UD5, AMD 4.0 Ghz 8core,32G DDR3, Geforce GT630/dual mons, 750G+1T/7200rpm HD, 650WPS, 
    Outboard: Focusrite Saffire 24Pro DSP, mixer-Yamaha MG102c, keyboards-Yamaha PSR E-423, Korg R3 
    Software: 8.5.3 Prod, X1d Exp, X2aProd, X3e Prod, SonPlat-2016.12 CbB & some plugins.
    [/[/

Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/02/01 05:05:40 (permalink)
    So we have confirmation that this issue persists with X1D, X2 (A?), and I guess we would be waiting for X3D user now to see if this still is an issue. Thanks for supply details about your systems so this issue can be cleanly traced. I'm not a notation/lyrics sort of guy so probably best wait for somebody who is.
    post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/02/01 05:13:54

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/02/01 05:14:03 (permalink)
    I find it very surprising that a really disturbing bug like this hasn't been handled on the forum before? At least, I don't remember ever reading about it. What is still hiding in the depths waiting to be found....

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/02/01 05:18:44 (permalink)
    Right now I don't find it surprising because we haven't had confirmation from an X3D user so we have to assume right now (although I do appreciate it's frustrating) these are old issues with old products. Also bugs that don't get talked about often don't get fixed as nobody knows about them (not even Cake), or is viewed as low priority as nobody is screaming from the rooftops. So we await X3D confirmation.

There was some staff view fixes in X3C for instance.

> What is still hiding in the depths waiting to be found....

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Outstanding-Issues-as-of-X3D-and-general-comments-m2952585.aspx#2952585

post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/02/01 06:40:08

konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/02/01 14:52:34 (permalink)
    I am curious now what the variables are since I have never had this issue.  That said, I normally enter the melody first, so maybe that is the difference.

We don't talk much about lyrics view here but it is an awesome way to prompt a singer in the studio.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    TheMusicMan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/03/12 07:50:46 (permalink)
    I am an X3d Studio user, and can confirm that this bug is present. It has cost me hours of extra work trying to clean up the tracks.

Anyone know how to get this bug addressed by cakewalk?

Thanks
    Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/03/12 10:48:00 (permalink)
    I suggest get the bug confirmed in X3E (which is days away), and if it still exists give us exact steps to repro from a brand new X3E project so it is totally crystal clear leaving nothing to speculation, e.g. like this:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Reenabling-Auto-Track-Zoom-disables-auto-lane-expansion-and-tracks-jump-Confirmed-by-CW-m3005429.aspx

If we can all reproduce your issue then you are on your way. So far nobody really has shown us what the exact issue is just the symptoms and a brief summary.

Thanks

Alex

MorganT
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/03/13 18:52:04 (permalink)
    Another X3d user who has seen this issue.  (Actually, I was entering lyrics in the lyrics portion of the staff view, which added extra notes - but it sounds like the same issue.)

Hubie J
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/03/14 06:59:52 (permalink)
    Hiya tbaroni
    I add lyrics to all my songs to play/sing on my tyros 5 keyboard, had a few problems with X2 upgrade and have now gone back to X1 as it works just fine, I mostly use Midi files only.
    I shall wait to see it it gets fixed in X3? before I upgrade.

All the Best, Take care, Hubie-J

Home Built i7-780, 8Gb Ram, 500Gb 7200rpm HD for Windows 7 Pro x64bit,
    500Gb 7200rpm HD for Music, Cakewalk Sonar X1 Expanded x64bit
    Cakewalk V-Studio 100 control surface
    Novation X-Station Midi Control Keyboard Synth
    tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/09 15:21:44 (permalink)
    Since I gave up in frustration months ago with this problem, and tried to do what I want to do with software other than Sonar, I've been out of the loop here.  But today I looked in my "junk email" folder.  There was a message from the cakewalk folks sitting there since 2/19/2014!

Bottom line:

Report Correspondence

2/19/2014 - 10:45 AM From: Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]Hello Tony,
    We are unable to reproduce your issue as described on our end. The additional rests that are appearing in your project file appear related to the note duration in some of the measures rather than being related to the lyrics being added. If you are still experiencing actual notes being created from your lyrics and would like to troubleshoot this further, please contact Technical Support again.
    Best Regards,
    Cakewalk Problem Reporter
    ----------------------------------

So shame on me for not noticing this earlier - I guess I need to check my "junk email' more frequently.  And shame on them for saying they cannot reproduce the issue, because the original guy I spoke to told me that he DID reproduce the problem and he'd have to get back to me!

I'm more than a little disgusted.  Now debating if I should bother trying to call them again.  I suppose they'll tell me I need to upgrade.  I try to do what I do mostly - create midi music and print scores - with MuseScore, which is free and I've never had occasion to need support!

Anyway, I felt I owed the forum a follow up.  Wish it included a solution!

Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/11 12:55:45 (permalink)
    I tried to repro with X3E but could not at my end, that probably doesn't mean it isn't an issue though as we might not have the right steps, maybe Cake had the same problem. Perhaps if you could give us exact steps from a new project, like this it may move things along...

(Oh hang on I already wrote this sorry, but the point is still there)....

Cheers...

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/16 15:39:52 (permalink)
    OK, here's what I do:
    1.  Open a new project and add a midi track.
    2.  I set preferences to 120 ticks / quarter note. 
    3.  Enter notes.  Sometimes I play them in thru my midi keyboard, sometimes I enter them painstakingly note by note on the staff view, sometimes I enter them into MuseScore and save a midi file with the notes, then open the saved midi file.
    4.  I open the Lyrics view window for the track and either (a) type in some lyrics word by word, or (b) copy some lyrics from a notepad file and paste into the lyrics view.
    5.  Go back to look at the staff view and see if it became all messed up.
    6.  Repeat steps 4 & 5 until I reach the end successfully or find things screwed up.

I've tried entering thru the lyrics view and encountered the same problem. 

Last project prior to step 4, I opened the piano roll view and checked for and corrected any overlapping notes before entering lyrics.  Then copied the track to a new track and added the lyrics to the new track; this gives me the ability to recover the music after it gets messed up.

If I knew how to, I'd attach a '.cwp or '.mid file to this post.

Some things I've noticed: 
       When typing into the lyrics view Sonar seems to want to remove spaces between words particularly if I pause a moment after typing a space and starting the subsequent word.  Sonar is apparently doing some processing and adjusting while I type.
       The longer the project the more likely the problem will occur. 
       If a song is of, say, AABA form I will of course copy and paste the notes of the later A verses - when the project gets messed up it seems that another copy of A is inserted seemingly randomly over a portion of the song. 
       I can usually correct the problem by tediously deleting the unwanted notes, but one little change later and the problem reoccurs.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/16 19:57:27 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS
    I tried to repro with X3E but could not at my end, that probably doesn't mean it isn't an issue though as we might not have the right steps, maybe Cake had the same problem. Perhaps if you could give us exact steps from a new project, like this it may move things along...

Interesting.

So does this mean that if everyone using Sonar and following the exact steps to reproduce an issue is unable to reproduce the issue, then the issue is not a Sonar issue? If so, then every legitimate Sonar problem should be found on alpha testing.

Seems to me there are dozens of problems reported on the forum that only a subset of users are able to reproduce. Presumably this is because not everyone is using the same hardware or has the same installed software or operating system. Nonetheless, for some of these problems, code changes in Sonar updates seem to have been curative. If a universally reproducible issue exists, it clearly is a Sonar issue/bug. But if a commonly encountered incompatibility with other commonly used audio software or hardware exists, it probably should be addressed. 

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/18 17:04:09 (permalink)
    I had come to the conclusion that few people actually do what I do: use midi tracks and add lyrics to them.  I had read a post on one of these forums a year or two ago by someone basically insulting those of us throwbacks who still use midi!  Cakewalk no longer supports CAL, that's indicative of less interest in us midi users.  All the latest and greatest improvements seem to be aimed toward the audio capabilities.

And if say 1,000 users have encountered the problem, how many would actually report it in this forum?  How many would submit a problem report?  How many go use some other software?  (Like I did.)  I had the problem quite a while before I brought it up here.  I figured, "Obviously, I'm doing something really stupid.  Nobody has mentioned this on the forum.  It must be some dopy thing I'm doing.  I'd better check the help first."   And I'd fuss with it for a night or just try to delete all the strange unwanted notes.

I would be surprised if everyone who followed the  exact steps I outlined encountered the problem, otherwise even if a low percentage of us are using midi, you'd think the problem would have come up previously.   I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to some quirky thing I'm doing.  For instance, I mentioned in the steps I outlined that I set my clock preferences to 120 ticks per beat.  Probably not important, but I don't know.  At least I now know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I submitted another problem report yesterday.  I'll post an answer if I get one.

Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/19 10:58:29 (permalink)
    I use Midi on all my projects. I also sometimes write the vocal melody on a midi track and add lyrics. Then display this while singing the vocals just in case I forget the lyric or the melodic decisions I made when writing. I do not remember having this problem.

Edit: I should add that I do not use the lyrics view and only enter the lyrics on the staff view.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/19 19:57:37 (permalink)
    Well, Tom, I wish I could say the same.

I wish I knew what the heck I'm doing wrong!
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/20 10:51:49 (permalink)
    tbaroni...You create a project, then start entering lyrics via the Lyrics View.  At some point, usually well into the song, additional lyrics cause unwanted notes to begin to appear throughout your project...

As others have said on this thread, it's surprising this is a virtually unknown topic at the Forum.

I'm here to say that this lyric bug has been in Sonar for a very long time.  There was a time way back early in the Sonar series when lyrics worked fine, then at some point things went wonky, and now, the same bug that's been in Cakewalk for YEARS is still there in X3.

In post #16, tbaroni, you said you have the impression that not many people need to work with lyrics.  I don't think that could be right.  Plenty of songwriters need print outs with lyrics for various situations, but don't need beautiful publisher-ready scores - they just need hand outs for fellow band members, choir members, or even for themselves to read on screen as they dub in a vocal.

In posts #1 and #14 you describe your method of working with lyrics.  The major thing different from how you're working from how I do, is that you're trying to use the Lyrics View for your input.  I don't think that's a good idea.  The Lyric View is for viewing lyrics - It can be used like a telepromter, filling up a monitor screen in a studio for singers to easily see the words.  But you're having to go back to the Staff View to see if things have gone wrong.  That's your self-noted tip:  You should be working in Staff View to begin with so you can catch immediately when the bug pops up.  

When things go as they should, it's fast and easy to input lyrics - but when things go wrong, it's there in Staff View where the bug shows up.

The basic method:  You have a MIDI track with just the melody line.  Click the first note, and when you're set for inputting lyrics, you type one word or syllable and when you use the space bar, the next note is automatically selected.  The text box for typing is right under the note and pointing to it - Very simple and intuitive.

The bug is that as you go along, suddenly Sonar starts inserting new notes instead of going to your next one.  If you've been sailing along, it may take a word or two to notice - but it's totally obvious if you're watching the staff.  When that happens, you can't use undo, as you noted.  You have to select the inserted note, delete it, then select the correct note and type the syllable or word.  Once Sonar has kicked into that bug, you suddenly have to work in s-l-o-w  m-o-t-i-o-n - typing one thing at a time, stopping, selecting the next note, typing - etc You can't sail along with the program automatically stepping through your melody as it should.

Yeah.  For years now.  It's another wonky bit which is just the same old broken programming hiding under the streamlined GUI of the X series.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/20 14:08:32 (permalink)
    Well Randy seem to confirm this with X3E, so that's good enough confirmation from the user end.

Tony may I suggest you log this with Cakewalk problem reporter, and also post them a link to this post so they can get a context as to what is happening.

It would also be nice if you could post the CWBRN reference here and keep us updated with any notifications you might receive.

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/20 19:10:33 (permalink)
    Lyrics appear in the Lyrics view as a stream of syllables, each one associated with a note in the track.  If there is not a direct correlation of words to MIDI notes (or words with hyphens) then Sonar sometimes adjusts the notes (It would probably be better if it dropped words instead).  Is this possibly what is going on?  I always add lyrics in Staff View so that I can align the words with the notes.

EDIT: Lyrics are not, and never have been, free-form text.  You need to match syllables to notes.

Glen
    post edited by gcolbert - 2014/05/20 20:27:56

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/23 10:49:45 (permalink)
    Thanks, Randy, Alex, & Glen, for your input.  I'll definitely have to start working in the staff view while entering the lyrics from now on.  Because I generally have the lyrics in a separate file, I've generally tried to cut and paste them into the lyrics view.  I'll just have to type them in again I suppose.

I did submit a problem report on this last week.  In fact, I'm here right now because I was wondering why I haven't received even a confirmation of them having received the report.   Odd.  Other times I got an immediate automatic response in my email telling me the report was received.  I may have to try again.

..   Tony
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/23 10:59:27 (permalink)
    tbaroni
    Thanks, Randy, Alex, & Glen, for your input.  I'll definitely have to start working in the staff view while entering the lyrics from now on.  Because I generally have the lyrics in a separate file, I've generally tried to cut and paste them into the lyrics view.  I'll just have to type them in again I suppose....

Right - Just pasting into that Lyric View is definitely not the way it works.  When the intended Lyric tool is used in the Staff View, it's great when it behaves.  You just select the first note in your melody-only track, and type away.--that's the way it's supposed to work anyway.

tbaroni...I did submit a problem report on this last week.  In fact, I'm here right now because I was wondering why I haven't received even a confirmation of them having received the report.   Odd.  Other times I got an immediate automatic response in my email telling me the report was received...

I think it's possible that when they get a report of a known issue, they groan and put off dealing with it.  Just a theory.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/23 11:10:23 (permalink)
    I reported CWBRN 23204 back in Feb 2014.  No record of what I attempted to submit a several days ago. 
    No time to resubmit this right now.
    Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/23 13:00:22 (permalink)
    You can also check the status of CWBRN 23204 on the link I gave you... You might even be able to add a comment (although often you get locked out if it moves onto the next status step). I've added it to my list anyway as a reproducible bug.

At this stage there appears to be no confirmation by Cakewalk on whether there will be an X3F patch or not.

Cheers...
    post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/05/23 13:35:52

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/24 11:47:44 (permalink)
    I thought I had submitted a problem report several days ago; I know I went thru the motions and attached a file.  But it apparently never got submitted.  I've been known to type an email and never hit send.  Or maybe that's when I encountered a helpful message something like, "An unexpected error occurred,"  and gave up in frustration.
    Anyway, I submitted this again.  CWBRN 26232.  It got registered this time.

Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/24 12:43:40 (permalink)
    Is 23204 the same issue? Thanks...

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/26 09:17:02 (permalink)
    Alex -

I cannot access CWBRN 23204.  Says that number doesn't match my email address.
    Splat
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/26 13:57:13 (permalink)
    Thanks...

tbaroni
    Re: Entering Lyrics causes unwanted notes to appear 2014/05/27 17:36:01 (permalink)
    Just got off the phone with cakewalk support.  Seems like there is a solution to this problem: before entering lyrics to a track, bounce the track to one clip!  Worked for me while I was on the phone with him anyway.

Oh boy!  I hope this is the answer.  Must go pour myself a drink to celebrate!

..  Tony

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1