Helpful ReplyError Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 13:45:31 (permalink)
Strange then that they seemed to find it so important early on yet nowadays other DAWs handle it better. I do like the idea of having multiple ones but it's just a pain to set up.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 18:51:44 (permalink)
I think it was a different era and Sonar was nowhere near as capable as it is today. There are not that many of us that use external editors. There's lots of threads now when folks talk about even mastering in Sonar. That was unheard of 10 years ago. Well nearly.

It's not that difficult. Just create the script as per my instructions and run it as a .reg file. When new versions come along you only need to edit the file to update a couple of entries, which you can easilydo in notepad, double click to run and you done.

There's a few coders around and I've asked to have a little utility made to create the registry entry from some basic data input like What is the path to your wave editor? which is about all it would take.

Addit: just send me a PM with the details of where your editor Exe files are located and I'll create the scripts for you and send them back via PM. All you'll have to do is change the .txt extenstion to .reg and double click to run it for as many programs as you want.
post edited by mudgel - 2015/05/16 18:59:13

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 18:57:40 (permalink)
It would be a fairly easy autohotkey project. I do not need the utility and would prefer someone who wants the tool create it. I would be glad to help if necessary.
mudgel
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 19:03:13 (permalink)
I might have a look at it myself then. Must brush up on AutoHotKey as I've not used it in ages. You're just full of it scook; good ideas that is. Thanks.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 19:05:40 (permalink)
Get the latest version here http://ahkscript.org/
If you get stuck PM me.
Sanderxpander
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/16 19:21:09 (permalink)
I already got it working personally, thanks for the offers though. I just feel that this is clunky and it's not a good idea to direct your average (musician!) end user to do a registry hack. This has nothing to with the excellent help from you guys on the forum, let's be clear there. I think in many studios it's pretty common to have multiple bits of software including a wave editor, certainly the ones I've worked in. There was a time Melodyne was used this way (super happy with ARA btw). For RX3 and similar software it also makes a lot of sense and the same thing goes for WaveLab, Peak, SoundForge and a slew of other tools. I feel like I'm defending my view here that Sonar should have a better way of adding external wave editors, which frankly is ridiculous. If I were to link this thread in some Apple Logic forum they would die laughing, and Sonar already has a hard time being taken seriously amongst the big boys. Even Ableton, kind of an odd one out does this better. A quick google reveals that StudioOne and Reaper do too. Basically only Cubase doesn't offer any integration (since the SX series) and perhaps ProTools which I haven't used myself.
mudgel
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/17 01:02:40 (permalink)
I think it's safer to teach people to create a reg file than actually edit the registry.

As fas as anyone laughing because of something missing in Sonar, to be honest I could care less as I don't think anything in particular about the tools that others use. I sure don't feel a need to defend Sonar. It's a bit of software. I do admit that we get pretty attached to our DAWs and there does seem to be a great deal of pride associated with our personal choice.
I know heaps of people that have never heard of Sonar but can't believe it's depth once given a demo of what it can do. I've made heaps of converts. But I'm in Australia and it's rare to find Sonar in a music store.

If Sonar doesn't do something and there's a way to provide that function as in the case of the Tools Copy functions then I'm happy it can be made to happen. There's guys creating quite a few tools at the moment for things that Cakewalk aren't providing in Sonar. Good on them. That's positive to me not negative because those things haven't come from Cakewalk. For every feature that another DAW has I'm sure there's features that Sonar has that those others don't.

I've worked with most PC based DAWs and no matter the features I come back to Sonar for its overall completeness. No one laughed at Pro Tools because it wasn't 64 bit Yet s
sonar has been 64 bit for 10 years. I've recently had the opportunity to try out Magix Samplitude Pro X2 and while it has a unique way of working with audio and has some extraordinary project management tools far superior to anything seen in Sonar including a very comprehensive score editor, overall I still prefer Sonar.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Sanderxpander
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/17 04:41:52 (permalink)
All the extra stuff users are doing, including your own efforts, are definitely boons! But this isn't exactly "content". This is program functionality which Cakewalk claims no support for. The only thing that IS on their support page is a registry hack. I agree that your way of approaching that is better. But it's Cakewalk that needs to ultimately provide a good solution. What bugs me is that they're really close to the best implementation I've seen - they already have ARA and the software essentially supports multiple external editors. Maybe StudioOne does too, I haven't checked, but Ableton and Logic let you pick just one. The required code seems pretty minimal yet it has been lying there for years. A good programmer could probably write a simple thing in an hour, but let's be really generous and call it a day or two with some testing. It's not rocket science.

It seems like you don't find this a very big issue. That's ok, personally I don't find the underdeveloped score editor a very big issue, I use piano roll during composition. So I guess this time I'll be the sorry dude on the breach for this.
mudgel
Re: Error Message with iZotope RX 3 as WaveEditor in SONAR X3 2015/05/17 04:58:20 (permalink)
I don't really think my degree of comfort or discomfort over the inclusion or exclusion of a feature will make the slightest bit of difference. I just happen to think that features that there are no workarounds for should have a higher priority so I choose not to worry about it.

I'd like lots of features but I don't get to choose so I try not to get too bent out of shape over the ones that haven't made it to development yet. If there's a feature request for something I like ill support it. I e even put in feature requests for things.

I reckon you should put in a feature request for this if you feel so strongly about it. See what sort of support it gets.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1