Helpful ReplyFastest way to rename clip?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2016/06/12 00:39:28 (permalink)

Fastest way to rename clip?

What is the fastest way to rename a clip in the Track View?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 01:46:42 (permalink)
Keyboard command: Click "I" to open Inspector View . . . left mouse, select the clip to be renamed in Track View
Top left of screen (in Inspector) go to Clip, then Clip name . . . type in new Clip name.
Click on the Clip in Track View, it will have the new name.

As far as I know, this is the only way to rename a clip . . . if there is a faster way, I'd like to know too.

Wouldn't it be great to right click on a clip, and select "rename clip" . . . perhaps someday.
post edited by noynekker - 2016/06/12 02:08:22

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 04:29:29 (permalink)
noynekker
Wouldn't it be great to right click on a clip, and select "rename clip" . . . perhaps someday.

Absolutely! Clip  renaming is quite a palaver at the moment.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 04:50:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/06/12 05:12:07
noynekker
Keyboard command: Click "I" to open Inspector View . . . left mouse, select the clip to be renamed in Track View

Only slightly faster, but if you change the double click behaviour for audio clips to clip properties,
you can save yourself the steps above.

Track View>Options>Click Behaviour>Double-Click>Audio Clips>Clip Properties

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 04:52:13 (permalink)
It's somewhat quicker if you always have the Track Inspector visible (mine is always docked at the left)

Then it's just a matter of clicking the clip, select Clip Inspector, double click the existing name and type in the new one

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 06:21:36 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
It's somewhat quicker if you always have the Track Inspector visible (mine is always docked at the left)

Then it's just a matter of clicking the clip, select Clip Inspector, double click the existing name and type in the new one

Same here.  There is so much you can do in the inspector that I also have it docked to the left in most screensets.

Sonar Platinum
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 06:34:58 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
noynekker

Absolutely! Clip  renaming is quite a palaver at the moment.

is there a feature request for this yet?

just a sec

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 10:35:47 (permalink)
jb101
Bristol_Jonesey

Same here.  There is so much you can do in the inspector that I also have it docked to the left in most screensets.

I think of the Inspector as being a right click on steroids

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 11:57:17 (permalink)

This, to me, would be the most intuitive UI.

For Sonar 8.5.3 here are the steps to rename a clip:

1) right click on the clip
2) select Clip Properties...  -- this will open the Clip Properties popup, with the name already highlighted
3) type the new name for the clip
4) hit RETURN (or click OK)

For Sonar Platinum here are the steps to rename a clip:

1) left click on the clip
2) hit I to open the inspector
3) click the Clip tab at the top of the inspector
4) click inside the Clip Name value
5) repeatedly hit delete and/or backspace to erase the current clip name (16 times for "Record 1, Take 1")
6) type the new name for the clip
7) click on the track pane outside of the clip to apply the change
8) hit I to close the inspector

Does that look correct?

If so, then why, if Cakewalk felt that clip renaming was common enough to make it the default behavior when opening Clip Properties in 8.5.3 (as evidenced by the fact that the clip name is automatically selected by default), did they make it so much more cumbersome in Platinum?  How is that considered "improvement"?

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

jb101
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 12:14:10 (permalink)
Tripecac

2) select Clip Properties...  -- this will open the Clip Properties popup, with the name already highlighted

5) repeatedly hit delete and/or backspace to erase the current clip name (16 times for "Record 1, Take 1")

Does that look correct?

If so, then why, if Cakewalk felt that clip renaming was common enough to make it the default behavior when opening Clip Properties in 8.5.3 (as evidenced by the fact that the clip name is automatically selected by default), did they make it so much more cumbersome in Platinum?  How is that considered "improvement"?

No, it doesn't - it looks deliberately long winded.

Mine looks like:

1) left click on the clips
2) click the Clip tab at the top of the inspector (as it's always open when I am doing this sort of work)
3) Swipe over the old name or Ctrl+A and type new name and return

Even adding "Press I before and after" (if Inspector not open) still makes it far less complicate than yours.

edited for clarity

Sonar Platinum
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 12:30:07 (permalink)
Good idea for a feature request.

This could help in the meantime:http://forum.cakewalk.com/AutoHotKey-Great-Sonar-helper-m3026412.aspx

Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 13:19:44 (permalink)

It is long winded.  You are combining steps, and are assuming that the inspector is already open (which it isn't for me):

2) click the Clip tab at the top of the inspector (as it's always open when I am doing this sort of work)

The fact is, Sonar 8.5.3 required much less work in terms of mouse clicks, mouse movement, and typing.

Here are the steps again, adjusted for maximum efficiency:

Sonar 8.5.3:

1) right click on the clip [1 click]
2) select Clip Properties...  -- this will open the Clip Properties popup, with the name already highlighted [1 click]
3) type the new name for the clip [N keypresses]
4) hit RETURN [1 keypress]

TOTAL:  2 clicks, N+1 keypresses

Sonar Platinum:

1) left click on the clip [1 click]
2) hit I to open the inspector [1 keypress if you usually have the inspector closed]
3) click the Clip tab at the top of the inspector[1 click]
4) click inside the Clip Name value [1 click]
5) hit CTRL-A to select old name [2 keypresses]
6) hit delete [1 keypress]
7) type the new name for the clip [N keypresses]
8) hit RETURN [1 keypress]
9) hit I to close the inspector [1 keypress if you usually have the inspector closed]

TOTAL if you usually have the inspector open: 3 clicks, N+4 keypresses
TOTAL if you usually have the inspector closed: 5 clicks, N+4 keypresses

Note that each click requires mouse movement as well.  So, each click takes significantly more time then each keypress.

Regardless of whether or not you have the inspector open to begin with, 8.5.3 is significantly faster at renaming clips.

So why did Cakewalk make clip renaming more cumbersome in Platinum?  Why did they decrease the usability of this feature, that many of us use multiple times each day?

tripecac.com

jb101
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 14:07:01 (permalink)
Tripecac

It is long winded.  You are combining steps, and are assuming that the inspector is already open (which it isn't for me):

The fact is, Sonar 8.5.3 required much less work in terms of mouse clicks, mouse movement, and typing.

Here are the steps again, adjusted for maximum efficiency:

Sonar 8.5.3:

1) right click on the clip [1 click]
2) select Clip Properties...  -- this will open the Clip Properties popup, with the name already highlighted [1 click]
3) type the new name for the clip [N keypresses]
4) hit RETURN [1 keypress]

TOTAL:  2 clicks, N+1 keypresses

Sonar Platinum:

1) left click on the clip [1 click]
2) hit I to open the inspector [1 keypress if you usually have the inspector closed]
3) click the Clip tab at the top of the inspector[1 click]
4) click inside the Clip Name value [1 click]
5) hit CTRL-A to select old name [2 keypresses]
6) hit delete [1 keypress]
7) type the new name for the clip [N keypresses]
8) hit RETURN [1 keypress]
9) hit I to close the inspector [1 keypress if you usually have the inspector closed]

TOTAL if you usually have the inspector open: 3 clicks, N+4 keypresses
TOTAL if you usually have the inspector closed: 5 clicks, N+4 keypresses

Note that each click requires mouse movement as well.  So, each click takes significantly more time then each keypress.

Regardless of whether or not you have the inspector open to begin with, 8.5.3 is significantly faster at renaming clips.

So why did Cakewalk make clip renaming more cumbersome in Platinum?  Why did they decrease the usability of this feature, that many of us use multiple times each day?

You're doing it again.

For one, you don't need to hit delete, you can type the new name once old one is highlighted.

You remembered this when writing steps for 8.5, but conveniently forgot this when referring to Platinum.

If using your example of old name being "Record 1" or "Take 1", you do not need to used Ctrl+A, you can just swipe over the name.

That is three fewer keystrokes than you use.

Also, the Inspector remembers which Tab was last open, so you can make it so inspector always opens with Clip Tab open.

That is another click fewer.

This then gives

TOTAL if you usually have the inspector open: 2 clicks, N+1 keypresses
TOTAL if you usually have the inspector closed: 4 clicks, N+1 keypresses

Doesn't seem quite so bad now, does it?

Anyhow, as you appear to me to be becoming increasingly obtuse, I will bow out of this thread.

Good luck.  I hope you find what you're looking for.

Sonar Platinum
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 14:11:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2016/06/12 14:32:31
jb101
Tripecac

Does that look correct?

Mine looks like:

1) left click on the clips

Even adding "Press I before and after" (if Inspector not open) still makes it far less complicate than yours.

edited for clarity

you can also use F2 for step 3 I believe (to substitute for swipe / CNTRL+A).
as F2 is a rename tool in tracks, busses, ext.

these 3 steps you have here seems like the fastest possible way.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 14:44:16 (permalink)
or one, you don't need to hit delete, you can type the new name once old one is highlighted.

Ah, correct. 

If using your example of old name being "Record 1" or "Take 1", you do not need to used Ctrl+A, you can just swipe over the name.

Swipe is for touch screens, right?  Like on a tablet?  I don't have a touch screen for my DAW. 

Swipe would be 2 actions anyway: touching at the beginning of the old clip name, and then dragging your finger to the right until the entire name is selected.  CTRL-A is a lot faster if your hands are already on the keyboard; it certainly is more accurate.

you can also use F2 for step 3 I believe (to substitute for swipe / CNTRL+A).

This doesn't work for me.  Even when I have clicked inside the Clip Name value, F2 doesn't do anything.  It would be awesome if we could simply hit F2 when a clip is selected to rename it, since that's what works in Windows Explorer.  However, in Premium, if you hit F2, it renames the currently selected track, not the currently selected clip.

Also, the Inspector remembers which Tab was last open, so you can make it so inspector always opens with Clip Tab open.

Yes, it does seem "sticky", which is nice.  However, if you're dealing frequently with track properties as well (e.g., track colors or transposition), then you'll be frequently switching between the Clip and Track tabs.  So, sometimes, we can skip this step, but other times, we cannot.  I'll change it to half a click, as a compromise.

So here is the next revision:

Sonar Platinum:

1) click/touch the clip [1 click]
3) click/touch the Clip tab at the top of the inspector [0.5 click since sometimes Clip is already selected]
4) click/touch inside the Clip Name value [1 click]
5) hit CTRL-A (or swipe to the right) to select old name [2 keypresses or 1 swipe]
6) type the new name for the clip [N keypresses]
7) hit RETURN [1 keypress]
8) hit I to close the inspector [1 keypress if you usually have the inspector closed]

TOTAL:
- touch screen, inspector open: 2.5 touches, N+1 keypresses, 1 swipe

- touch screen, inspector closed: 2.5 touches, N+3 keypresses, 1 swipe
- no touch screen, inspector open: 2.5 clicks, N+3 keypresses
- no touch screen, inspector closed: 2.5 clicks, N+5 keypresses  <-- my setup

Does that look correct?

tripecac.com

jb101
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 14:59:59 (permalink)
Tripecac
or one, you don't need to hit delete, you can type the new name once old one is highlighted.

Ah, correct. 

Swipe is for touch screens, right?  Like on a tablet?  I don't have a touch screen for my DAW. 

Swipe would be 2 actions anyway: touching at the beginning of the old clip name, and then dragging your finger to the right until the entire name is selected.  CTRL-A is a lot faster if your hands are already on the keyboard; it certainly is more accurate.

Yes, it does seem "sticky", which is nice.  However, if you're dealing frequently with track properties as well (e.g., track colors or transposition), then you'll be frequently switching between the Clip and Track tabs.  So, sometimes, we can skip this step, but other times, we cannot.  I'll change it to half a click, as a compromise.

I meant swipe/drag the mouse pointer over the name. No touch screen involved.

Also, if I were "frequently switching between the Clip and Track tabs". I would probably have the inspector open..

You're seriously talking about half clicks?

Is it just me or is this getting just a little silly?

Sonar Platinum
jps
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 15:04:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Anderton 2016/06/12 21:58:23
Fastest way for me is " copy track name to clip name" found in tracks menu in track
view .
Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 15:33:04 (permalink)
What I'm trying to get at is this:

In Sonar 8.5.3, renaming a clip was fast.  2 clicks, type the name of the clip, hit ENTER.  It would be faster if you could replace with second click with a keypress (such as F2), but aside from that it's about as fast as you can get, and consistently so.

In fact, I just bound F2 to Clip Properties in Sonar 8.5.3, so for me, the steps for renaming a clip are these:

2) hit F2 (to open Clip Properties with the clip name selected)

TOTAL: 1 click, N+2 keypresses

Since there is only 1 click (to select the clip), mouse movement is minimal.  I don't think renaming can get any more efficient than that! 

In Sonar Premium, however, renaming a clip is clearly less efficient.  It now requires the inspector to be open, and it requires clicking inside of the Clip Name value, and selecting that value (either by swiping, click-dragging, or ctrl-A).  Also, if you don't already have the Clip tab selected, you have to select that.  Those are all extra steps, making renaming less efficient than it used to be.

So why did Cakewalk do this?  Why did they make renaming less efficient in later versions of Sonar?  Did they think the need for clip renaming is less now than it was in the days of 8.5.3?  I am trying to understand WHY Cakewalk made that change.  Maybe understanding their motivation will help me accept the extra steps.  Maybe.

From my perspective, when Cakewalk revamped the UI for X1/2/3/Platinum, they made Sonar harder/slower to use. This topic started out as an "innocent" question about how to quickly rename clips in Platinum.  However, when it became clear that renaming clips in Platinum was clearly not designed to be as efficient as in 8.5.3, my usual frustrated tone resurfaced: "Why Cakewalk, why?  Why did you make the Sonar UI less usable [for me] than it was in 8.5.3?  And when will you add back that lost functionality?"  Sorry, I can't help it.  Sonar X1/2/3/Premium's UI problems grate on me.  Every single day.  If you think it's painful to ready my posts on this forum, just imagine how I feel, when using Platinum.  Every single time I use it I get frustrated.  Why, Cakewalk, why???  Why did you mess up a good thing???  And when will you fix it???

tripecac.com

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 22:00:14 (permalink)
At this point I don't remember how one renamed multiple clips in 8.5, but it's easy in the X series versions and I'm much more likely to want to rename multiple clips than a single clip. The steps are:

1. Select the clips you want to rename (there are several ways to do this, which range from 1 click on the track header to choose all the track clips or click+drag, either in the timeline or by click-dragging across the clips).
2. Assuming like most people one has the Inspector open, click the Clip tab if it isn't already.
3. Click+drag across the word "multi."
4. Type in the new name.
5. Hit return.

The great part about centralizing in the Inspector is how easily you can change multiple parameters for multiple clips.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/12 23:05:54 (permalink)
Tripecac
This topic started out as an "innocent" question about how to quickly rename clips in Platinum.  However, when it became clear that renaming clips in Platinum was clearly not designed to be as efficient as in 8.5.3, my usual frustrated tone resurfaced: "

I don't understand how you can innocently ask a question and be frustrated by the response when you have asked exactly the same question, received the same answers and made exactly the same complaints 5 years previous:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Rename-clip-without-opening-inspector-m2381900.aspx?high=Clip+rename

As with some of your other threads, you are not describing functions that do not work, rather functionality that doesn't suit you personally. As Craig pointed out there are advantages to the new method.

At some point you need to accept that Sonar has evolved and functionality has changed. Rehashing the same old gripes really isn't an effective strategy, particularly when the points of contention are arguably fairly trivial. If the issue really is that important to you, you can always sacrifice the feature improvements of the last 8 years and return to Sonar 8. You do seem quite taken with it:)
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/06/13 00:54:26

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 01:30:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2016/06/13 03:34:09
I don't understand how you can innocently ask a question and be frustrated by the response when you have asked exactly the same question, received the same answers and made exactly the same complaints 5 years previous:

I wasn't frustrated at the response from people on the forum.  I appreciated it, and each time tried out people's suggestions, taking time to update the list of actions needd.  I was frustrated that Cakewalk still hasn't improved the workflow. 

It was interesting to re-read that old post.  I had forgotten about it.  Funny how the same comments were being made 5 years ago, not necessarily by me.   Even the comparison of clicks and links had been done before (not by me).  I must have subliminally remembered that.  Weird.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that many of the operations I am performing on a daily basis are slower for me in X1/2/3/Platinum than in 8.5.3.  For me, the difference in efficiency is not "fairly trivial".  It is consistently annoying. 

In 5 years, I still have not learned to adapt my habits to X1/2/3/Platinum.  People on this forum keep telling me "accept it" or "get used to it".  But, 5 years on, I still have not accepted Sonar X1/2/3/Platinum's "quirks", nor that Sonar has to continue to be less usable for me than it was was 8.5.3.  I preferred the more Windows-y 8.5.3, because it had a more efficient design (and less buggy implementation).  I would go back to it, except I am worried about compatibility with my more recently acquired plugins.  Also, I know that if I retreat to 8.5.3, I will not have any input whatsoever into the future development of Sonar.  Believe it or not, there is a chance that people at Cakewalk are reading these topics, even if they don't publicly acknowledge them.  I know my issues are probably low priority, but If I stop squeaking, the wheel will NEVER be oiled. 

If Cakewalk could fix the bugs, and bring back the UI efficiency and flexibility of 8.5.3, I will be happy.  And quiet. 

So instead of telling me to stop complaining, another strategy would be to +1 my posts, or submit similar bug reports.  Of course, that would mean admitting that Cakewalk has made some design (or implementation) mistakes, and to Cakewalk disciples, that might be a painful admission.  Sacrilegious.  It's much safer to tell me to shut up and accept the new status quo, isn't it?  Stop rocking the boat, Tripecac, no matter how right you think you are.

Heard it all before.  5 years' worth!  If I sound like a broken record, it is because Sonar is a broken program.  But it can be fixed.  Unlike me. :)

tripecac.com

sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 02:45:30 (permalink)
Like craig said inspector works better for renaming multiple clips.
From all the tips provided by users I guess you can do it prety quick. Set double click behavior to clip properties.
1.Double click the clip
2. Click on the name
3. select or Ctrl A. Enter the name
4. Click Enter. 

This is nothing big to complain but I understand if you have a project were you wanna rename every clip this will feel unwieldy. (but only coz you were doing this much easily before)

On the other hand I think what your are asking is also fairly simple. Like how now F2 opens The track name selected. Bakers can include a Ctrl + F2 shortcut which opens the clip properties automatically with clip name selected.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 03:20:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2016/06/13 03:52:22
Tripecac
 *1: I know that if I retreat to 8.5.3, I will not have any input whatsoever into the future development of Sonar. 

*2: If Cakewalk could fix the bugs, and bring back the UI efficiency and flexibility of 8.5.3, I will be happy.  And quiet. 

*3: So instead of telling me to stop complaining, another strategy would be to +1 my posts, or submit similar bug reports.  Of course, that would mean admitting that Cakewalk has made some design (or implementation) mistakes, and to Cakewalk disciples, that might be a painful admission.  Sacrilegious.  It's much safer to tell me to shut up and accept the new status quo, isn't it? 

*4: Stop rocking the boat, Tripecac, no matter how right you think you are.

*4: Heard it all before.  5 years' worth!  If I sound like a broken record, it is because Sonar is a broken program. 

1. Given that you have had the same suggestions/complaints for the last 5 years, it is fairly safe to say your strategy is not working and this horse may well have bolted:)

2. They are not bugs. They are workflow changes that you personally do not like. It may come as a surprise to you to learn that many other people use Sonar too. If the majority of people did not like them I am sure that they would have been changed back by now. What you want is a Sonar Tripecac edition.

3. I would +1 your post if I agreed with it. Your ad hominem 'disciple' attack is as tedious as it is predictable.

4.I have no problem with rocking the boat, and am only too well aware of how right you think you are.

5. Sonar is 'broken' because you can't rename clips the way you would like to? I give up. Whine away:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 10:26:31 (permalink)
I've always found it a little annoying that I have to move the mouse cursor all the way to the top of the Inspector when I only want to change a clip name. Editing part of a long clip name is also not very easy (since the width of the Clip Properties Inspector isn't resizable and having to resize the separator in the middle is somewhat bothersome).

I should be easier, like this.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Anderton
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 11:29:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/06/13 11:34:40
The issue here is no one knows what the cause and effect is of changes within SONAR. All program updates, not just SONAR's, often take "two steps forward, one step back." These decisions are made on the assumption that the majority of users will be happy about the two steps forward, and a minimal number of users will be upset by the one step back. These decisions may also be driven by programming issues that require the one step back to make the two steps forward possible. 

Perhaps the consolidation of editing functions within the Inspector streamlines the code to a degree that right-clicking on clips for everything from naming to timebase to color would be less efficient. I don't think a right-click operation goes away by itself, so I presume someone made a conscious decision to remove it, and they had a reason to do so.

I believe what the Cakewalk supporters are saying is that they trust CW's judgement in this matter, which is probably helped by the fact that these people feel that the overall workflow for the X-series programs is more streamlined. I certainly would not want to go back to 8.5 even though it had some features I liked, because on balance, I get projects done a lot faster since the X-series showed up.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 11:49:06 (permalink)
I personally think it's best to offer a few different ways (ideally just two) to achieve the same result, especially when it's something very basic and frequent such as renaming clips. Offering too many different ways (to add tracks, for example) probably just makes the reference guide unnecessarily long and tires the users.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Anderton
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 11:59:47 (permalink)
icontakt
I personally think it's best to offer a few different ways (ideally just two) to achieve the same result.

Understood, but again, I don't know what's going on "under the hood" that may (or may not) allow for that in this particular case.

Tripecac
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 12:01:08 (permalink)
Perhaps the consolidation of editing functions within the Inspector streamlines the code to a degree that right-clicking on clips for everything from naming to timebase to color would be less efficient.

A right click menu that allows access to all operations you would want to perform on a clip would be huge, and possibly slow, unless you could customise it.

Sonar 8.5.3 had a right click menu editor, where you could add top menu functions to the right click menu.  That was very cool.  I can't seem to find it in Platinum, however.  Do you know where it is?

Also, does anyone know if CAL can rename clips?

tripecac.com

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 14:44:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2016/06/13 17:07:30
One point to think about is from a beginners point of view. CW was clear when they came up with X1 and the Skylight UI to enhance the new user experience and make it easier to do things as well as have better consistency throughout the program. This meant some things that had been in Sonar had to be moved. A lot of angst was seen with this situation. Many simply could not adjust. Others like myself had very little trouble understanding the new Sonar.

With the kind of fault finding that are a major part of your posts you lost some credibility. You might find a much better reception if it were put in the form of a feature request.

Although you are good at finding trivial issues that do have ways to get them done you seem never to acknowledge that the changes CW made have worked out very well for most of us.

Platinum is far and away more stable. It is faster to do most things in it and can do many more things. 8.5 is dead. Long live Platinum!      

Best
John
coolbass
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Fastest way to rename clip? 2016/06/13 20:31:53 (permalink)
Tripecac

If Cakewalk could fix the bugs, and bring back the UI efficiency and flexibility of 8.5.3, I will be happy.  And quiet. 

So instead of telling me to stop complaining, another strategy would be to +1 my posts, or submit similar bug reports.  Of course, that would mean admitting that Cakewalk has made some design (or implementation) mistakes, and to Cakewalk disciples, that might be a painful admission.  Sacrilegious.  It's much safer to tell me to shut up and accept the new status quo, isn't it?  Stop rocking the boat, Tripecac, no matter how right you think you are.

Heard it all before.  5 years' worth!  If I sound like a broken record, it is because Sonar is a broken program.  But it can be fixed.  Unlike me. :)

You are a broken record. Still whining about Sonar 8.5.3.
8.5.3 was good, but Platinum is better. Just get with the times. Adjust your workflow.
If not, you are condemning yourself to be miserable and keep on dreaming of the past.

One thing is for sure, Platinum is not a broken program.
You are a broken record.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1