Sonar VS-100

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
mrfitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/04 13:03:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ...wicked

But, to leave your personal vendetta by the wayside, I'm curious about WHO the unit is made for. I think it's a cool product, but as with the V-Studio unit I'm a little puzzled and I think that's because I already have bought into Cake's software.

I have a crappy mixer, a cheap audio interface, and my novation keyboard has some limited control functions. I would gladly replace my small investment with something that provides that functionality with more usable features. Toss on top of that that fact that it has recorder functions also which opens up the ability to take it along on the road and I'm getting closer to sold. And maybe it works good with sonar without a bunch of fiddling around.

I have to wonder why the cakewalk folks only answer criticisms, but not questions.

I thought I read "pre sale questions welcome" .. I guess they want users that have only seen the marketing crap to answer the questions.

Nice.
post edited by mrfitz - 2009/05/12 23:04:04

Sonar X1c pe x64
Sonar VS-100
phenom 9600 x4
Win 7 x64 Home Prem
4 gigabytes ram
a homebrew champ
and a telecaster

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/04 19:41:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Wail, I thank I'm finally gettin the hang of these here 3-D glasses cause this thang is lookin better'n better. Lessee, I got two mic pres, a mixer, an effects unit, an audio interface with 2.2ms latency, an SD recorder so's I can play my tracks at a live venue, plus an ACT controller and, as ol Brandon says, it's built like a tank. So, sounds like a purty good deal to me at around seven c-notes. Just one question tho...will it julienne or puree?

ps: how do the mic pres rate against...say...a MOTU Ultralite?

Great summation actually...well stated! The mic pre's seem quite good. Last I saw they had a dynamic range of around 104db and quiet.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/04 23:56:05 (permalink)
Makes the "Sham-Wow" and the "Slap-Chop" look like the Penny-Farthing, really. Pappa likes. Bring it on. My credit card still has not reached it's unfathomable limit.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/05 15:36:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PaPi

ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]
Well I feel that's a low blow of an argument

Yes, of course, you have to put the negative connotation on me.
Some people call it a CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

Wow, I was just perusing this thread, and I feel I have to jump in (fool that I am).

First, it's not a conflict of interest to promote the products for the company one works for. So you're using an inappropriate term in my opinion.

Second - I do tend to agree you seem to just be antagonistic. It's one thing to question the goods, so to speak, but it's another to frame things with connotations.

If you don't like the product, so be it - fine - no problem. And I'm sure those who are interested would take the time to research it more before plunking down hard earned dollars anyway.

I'd rather be skeptically curious than antagonistic, however.

And, because I have met Brandon - and consider him an excellent talent not just as a musician, I give him some headroom even if it is a "sell" so to speak.

In the end result, we are being presented with new products that we, as the consumers, can choose to purchase or not. No one twists our arms to do so. So the antagonism seems misplaced in that regard.

Ok, that's my .02cents. Calm down Papi

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Trist_Pat
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/18 08:53:57 (permalink)
After going through hours and hours of trying to make my new laptop work with multiple DAWs (FireBox, M-Audio FastTrack), I am quite interested in the VS-100. It looks like I should have done a lot more research before assuming a new laptop would work as a mobile studio.

I think I've seen the answer to these questions, but I'm going to ask them anyway (forgive me if I seem naive)..

1. Can I independently record two different tracks using the Mic/Instrument inputs onto the SD card where I can import both tracks into my computer when I get back to my home studio?

2. Can I apply phantom power individually to each input? i.e. have a condensor mic in one input and plug a guitar in the other?

This unit looks great for my little trio for recording in our practice space and also for using as a DAW at my home studio. For 6 or 7 bills, it is at least 1/2 the price of a good recording laptop and DAW type of solution.

Patrick Thompson - Bass/Vocals for The Trist, Sacramento, CA
My Personal Soundclick Page
The Trist Soundclick Page (my band)

yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/22 16:17:47 (permalink)
There should be laws against designing something so awesome. Almost makes me wish I had a band.
Trist_Pat
  • Total Posts : 163
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/23 02:31:09 (permalink)
Thank you Alex. This looks like a very nice piece of equipment.. I feel I'm getting a case of G.A.S. again!

Patrick Thompson - Bass/Vocals for The Trist, Sacramento, CA
My Personal Soundclick Page
The Trist Soundclick Page (my band)

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/24 11:49:42 (permalink)
Hi Alex , just tested one yesturday and i'm surprised to not be able to say the track name on te screen as i control it , must see on my daw screen (i have an alphatrack , and i'm used to this simple but damn good feature)

Any update to implement that in the near feature , i really focus myself on the controller side , as i find the recorder side quite good for tha price ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/04/25 10:33:30 (permalink)
Ok cool , was more focused on the vs 700 test than this one , but great news , was on a presentation of the vs 700 & sonar PE in France with the roland staff s i'm an a producer and made some demos for Roland (endorsement) ....i found out than the convertors were great (brought my fireface to compare ) .....didn't tested the vs 100 converters , how does it compare to the vs 700 , if it's the same quality , it can replace my fireface and my alphatrack for my on the road set up !! if you guyz integrate a 2"5 hardive capabilty (for auio and library) we have a real studio on the road , deal killer !!

Take care and you should make some videos more on the control side ;) some of us are really interestd in this face of the product...

Any street release date ?

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

pimpleburger
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/05/07 02:57:17 (permalink)
This VS-100 is an amazing product but I don't think the paradigm shift towards backing track playback for bands has been appreciated.

The Edirol arm of Roland produce a feild recorder (the R44) that can record 4 tracks to SD card. So what does this provide for the touring band... 4 tracks of playback available on 4 outputs. Stereo backing to front of house and a version with a click embeded for the drummer. Or stereo to FOH and Drummer mixer with bass and bass synth mono to be mixed in at the right level FOH + custom click to drummers headphones. etc... All better options for a touring band wanting a playback solution based on hardware without a computer to crash on you due to some OS update etc.

I think the idea that the band inputs into the VS-100 for a gig is where the thinking goes awry! The band needs to go to the stagebox for mixing. It needs the mixing section of the VS-100 to goto both drummer monitors and FOH.

Many pro touring acts even big names want something hardware to do the playback thing. They are going on the road with Yamaha and Fostex digital portastudios with a second one for backup.

How about steeling the market and generating a product to fit the bill. Something for the touring bands requiring a playback device. You should port the technology from the R44 ie 4 track playback and let your digital mix engine take care of what the outputs are used for. I'm sure it would be easy for the drummer to run a heaphone/in-ear monitor mix from the VS-100 heaphone out and opperate playback.

You know you can do this guys... Pretty please.

What is amazing for me about this VS-100 is that it has the potential to do all this and be a soundcard too. And being a huge Cakewalk fan from the Pro days I love that I can take this thing and control Sonar and work on stuff in my hotel room.

Peace,
pimpleburger
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/05/07 11:44:40 (permalink)
I was excited to see this product since it could really simplify my gear and process for performance and recording - and I'll probably end up owning it.

However, it's a bit dissapointing that you can only "record to a single stereo track" coming from Roland/Cakewalk as it really limits its on-site recording use. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. IMO it would have been a "stellar" product had it been able to record at least as many tracks as inputs to SD.
feedback50
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/05/07 13:21:57 (permalink)
Your points about backing tracks for live performance are well taken pimpleburger. The edirol units seem to be limited to unbalanced line outs with rca-jack interface. This seems limiting, and somewhat overpriced for the limited application of FOH playback of backing tracks. The Korg D888 comes a bit closer (with 8 channels) at a lower price point than the Edirol units, but has it's own set of trade offs (bad pres).

I could live with only one stereo out from the on board memory for live backing tracks IF the on board file had embedded tempo data to drive the click for each song file. Sadly, the video demo seems to show an audio-only file being exported from Sonar to the on board memory (not a stripped down project file with tempo data). If the on board file could drive a loud click mixed with the tracks out the headphones for the drummer (with count in), and stream the stereo mix (w/o click) to the FOH sends, this could be a stellar stage rig. I'm afraid, as configured, it will leave the same void in the market place as before.
Phil B
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/05/30 18:53:46 (permalink)
What is the Sonar VS software like? I'm using Sonar PE 6 now. Is the VS an upgrade from that or a downgrade? The audio track limits alone don't bother me - and I like streamlined interfaces. Do the Sonar 6 PE plug-ins show up?

InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/05/31 16:53:37 (permalink)
Just to let users know here. Sweetwater has them in stock.

click here

Ed
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/01 18:15:11 (permalink)
Very cool. I will be picking one up as well as the VS-700 as soon as I sell my DM-4800. :D
Phil B
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/01 22:17:10 (permalink)
You can listen to the onboard reverb while you track, but record it dry, right?

That's what I'm in the market for first and foremost ... the other products with that feature in the market in this price range or below are the Fast Track ULTRA (not Pro) and the MOTU Ultralite.

The second important extra feature I want is that I can use it without turning on the computer (sometimes I just want to play without booting up). That eliminates the M-Audio.

But, given that I haven't had great luck with firewire boxes, it's already a pretty easy choice for me personally. Add in the fact that it's made to work specifically with the DAW software I happen to use, has a control surface section also built to work with the software I use, has transport controls, and has a flash recorder so I don't need to keep my handheld recorder attached ... and I don't see how this is even remotely a bad deal. Plus, unlike the M-Audio products (and the Alphatrack from looking at pictures only), it's looks like it's built like a tank. I certainly wouldn't call the VS100 cheap, but it's certainly not overpriced either.
stevethompson
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/03 16:34:21 (permalink)
That's very useful for me - I can send a song submix to the SD then take the VS-100 and a mic to a more suitable location for recording vocals. No need for the laptop and spending way too much tme on %$^&*( other Mfr's drivers....

ORIGINAL: Michael Hoover [Cakewalk]

ORIGINAL: mgh

according to the brochure it has 2 channel recording on the SD. no multi-track there then...

It does have a mode where you can playback a stereo file (e.g. pre-recorded backing track) and then simultaneously record to a new file (2 channels). You can choose whether it records the entire mix (including the backing tracks), or just what comes through the mixer (mics, line devices, etc.).

toasterdude
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/19 12:03:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

ORIGINAL: PaPi

REALITY CHECK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-Pro-WARRANTY-FastTrack-PRO-MAUDIO_W0QQitemZ360143625069QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360143625069&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/frontier-alphatrack.htm

Grand total: $328. And that's with a 20-second search. I'm sure I could do better than that if I really wanted to buy them...

Yes I saw these as well, but frankly who knows what these ebay sellers would sell a V-Studio 100 for...

Regardless, the whole aplhafasttrackpro argument is just a red herring as the points you keep selectively and rather conveniently neglecting is that that the feature-sets for these products are not at all comparable. And this has nothing to do with my biased or unbiased opinion. It's simply a fact. I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that, but as I said before it's entirely your prerogative. Having said that, I will continue to argue my case as long as I have one (which at this point appears to be indefinitely).

I would not worry about a single delusional poster accusing you of bias. I also work for a hardware/software company and am very passionate about our products. I have never met you but your passion comes through. My favorite quote is I don't think my companies products are awesome because I work there. . . .. .I work there because they have awesome products!

I started working for them back in 97 and had already been a customer since 88. I worked for them for 6 years and then was laid off. In the 3 years I was not with them every projetc I ever worked on was with their products. I have now been back almost another 4 years.

I am trying to decide between the VS700 full, just the controller or the VS100 and I think it is great that there are 3 good choices. I am a hobbyist and really should only look at the VS100, but I am also a gear freak and the VS700 looks very cool.

I think it is wrong to assume that because someone works for a company they have drank the kool aid. I know my passion for the products I sel helps me sell more, and I believe the same is true for you. Keep on keeping on.

ADK Corei7 Quad Core - 12 gigsram 4 terrabytes HD
Sonar Pro Suite
Edirol FA-25
Superior 2.0-latin-nashville-claustrophobic,vintage rock, funkmasters EZX,
NI-Komplete 5

Antares auto tune and Vox bundle
voyageraustralia
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/23 22:29:19 (permalink)
can one of the cakewalk guys shed any light on the possibility of expanding the VS-100 to be able to play 2-channel wavs? that would make it possible to play stereo backing plus click live?

D

EDIROL FA-66, SONAR 8, REASON 4, KORG M50 (endorsed), KORG TRITON, LEXICON MX300, DBX 376, NOVATION XIOSYNTH
xen
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/06/25 03:53:29 (permalink)
D - I think you mean a WAV with more than two channels. (I.e. a two-channel WAV is a stereo WAV, and 6-channel WAVs are sometimes used to master a 5.1 surround mix, for example).

For example, a 4-channel WAV would allow stereo backing plus stereo click.

Another benefit of having additional channels in the backing - besides click tracks - is that would allow some bands to deliver the backing track to the FOH mixer broken down into stems, to give the FOH sound person more flexibility in getting the overall mix for that venue. This might be only required for larger bands/venues - but still, if a device has 6 physical outputs, we should be able to use 'em!
BuleriaChk
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/07/01 00:27:31 (permalink)
I already own SPE 8 and a number of other software products from Cakewalk. Will the VS-100 be able in a hardware only version?
(I assume the drivers and Sonar interface software would be included)

"Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
http://www.FlamencoChuck.com
 "Compas Analysis", "A Flamenco Journey", "Music Theory for Flamenco", Other Resources
Marketing [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 276
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/07/01 11:13:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BuleriaChk

I already own SPE 8 and a number of other software products from Cakewalk. Will the VS-100 be able in a hardware only version?
(I assume the drivers and Sonar interface software would be included)

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the question. We're really pushing the V-Studio 100 as audio hardware for use with any DAW. There will not be a software only version of the V-Studio 100. The included SONAR VS software is in there for Windows users getting started with digital recording who do not already have software. Most interface products on the market come with lite versions of SONAR or other DAWs for similar reasons.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Carl
swampthing
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/07/02 16:54:23 (permalink)
I'm not sure i really need a piece of hardware like this as i don't do any portable recording, and i'm not yet to lazy to just use the dials on the screen. But the vocal strip that's included is intriguing. Do you have any plans to release this as standalone for purchase separately?
swampthing
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Sonar VS-100 2009/07/03 12:10:09 (permalink)
Hmmmm "can't say" either means you don't know or that you can't say because it's coming.

The video demos of it made it look really good though.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1