New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Author
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/29 13:50:56 (permalink)
Eratu,

That's great news!  Thanks for staying persistent with 64-bit.  You are helping more people than you think by working through these issues.  I purchased jBridge for the Toontrack's stuff, so I'm definitely a supporter.

Good luck with the rest of your plugs.

Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/30 22:10:25 (permalink)
UPDATE:

Okay, still testing plugins and things are working reasonably well, considering the workarounds.

It appears there is a known problem that may be the problem I'm experiencing with the Arturia plugins (with syncrosoft/e-licenser protection) -- I will try to confirm this soon. The error message I'm getting sounds like a situation that Noel is aware of that is being discussed in another thread.

My current workaround for Arturia plugins is to use JBridge. :)

Next up on the table is Komplete 5 -- at least the parts that don't come with Komplete 6. K6 will be installed soon. Just want to get K5 on there first. :)
Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/30 22:33:14 (permalink)
@eratu--glad you finally got DimPro x64 working!
BTW, do you think you're going to keep both versions of Sonar (32- and 64-bit) installed? I've been wondering whether to do that myself this time round.

@Freddie H--I think you're right; I have UAC turned off in Win 7 RC (going to start my RTM install this weekend).
Too many progs even when run with elevated priveleges, still require constant supervision and click-through. Perhaps I will try leaving it on again once my RTM install is in place, some new versions out...
post edited by Phoenix - 2009/10/30 23:13:39
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 01:17:30 (permalink)
Phoenix

BTW, do you think you're going to keep both versions of Sonar (32- and 64-bit) installed? I've been wondering whether to do that myself this time round.

Phoenix -- yes, I will keep both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed. I find it helpful for troubleshooting 32-bit plugins. :)

eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 01:24:26 (permalink)
UPDATE:

Okay, I've now installed all the plugins and libraries from NI Komplete 4 and 5 that are NOT inside Komplete 6. I'm waiting a bit more to install K6. I just wanted to keep the old goodies that NI has discontinued. :) I use Akoustic Piano, Vokator, etc. and those have been discontinued and removed from K6. Also, Kontakt 3 and 4 are missing some samples from the Kontakt 2 library....

Verdict: All the older NI plugins I have installed appear to be working just fine with BitBridge so far. Relief!

I even have Kontakt 2 and 3 on there. I also have the x64 version of Kontakt 3.5 installed and it appears to be working fine in Sonar x64. Yay! I will have to test it more, but at least it loads up without BitBridge and seems to be working great.

Next up I will install my sample library (and most of them use a variant of Kontakt players) and then I'll install Komplete 6.

Seems things are starting to come together.... :)
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 01:40:13 (permalink)
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Forgot to mention that I'm really zeroing in on Arturia Moog Modular V 2.5 as the culprit of the earlier dreaded reload failures that affected me a few days ago.

Cakewalk is aware of the potential issue and they have been great communicating with me about it so far. I'm hoping they have a final solution without having to try to deal with Arturia and/or Steinberg (who owns syncrosoft now).

My current workaround is to run the Moog Modular V 2.5 with JBridge, although I have not tested that solution 100%... so we'll see how well it holds up.

Again, I can't stress enough to anyone who is following this thread, that you really need to evaluate your transition to Win 7 x64 and Sonar 8.5 x64 on a plugin-by-plugin basis. You will have to go through each plugin you use to make sure it works with BitBridge -- one by one. In the case of the FabFilter plugins, I also discovered you have to test things vendor by vendor....  :)

This is a tedious process, and every configuration will be unique. So don't just assume "everything will work" -- be prepared for some serious homework and testing.

The good news is that most issues can be (at least temporarily) resolved with a combination of disabling UAC, running Sonar in admin mode, and the use of JBridge.

The really tricky issues will require your extreme patience and best detective work to track down the subtle issues. Take your time, be methodical, and when you communicate about it, please approach it scientifically, not in an accusative manner. You are more likely to get intelligent help when you think of Cakewalk and other forum members as your allies, not venting channels. :)

I have found that working with forum members on this process (especially with Jose!) and communicating with Cakewalk have been extremely helpful and productive. I've also been grateful to Joao of JBridge. A little patience and intelligence, and I think you'll be able to work through this, hopefully a little better than I have. :)
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 01:57:34 (permalink)
Hey Eratu,

Great to hear that the rest of your plugins are working fine for you my friend (at least so far, right? :-P).  I knew it wouldn't be that bad ever since I tried Bitbridge 2.0.  If you think about it though, it looks like most of your plugin arsenal will work fine under Sonar x64.  It's like you said, between Bitbridge, JBridge, turning UAC off and/or running Sonar in admin mode anyone can get most of the bases covered as far as compatibility with their plugin library goes.  The rest is just maintaining good communication between the involved parties to notify them of any issues so that they can be resolved in a timely manner.  That's top notch advise as expected from you :-)

Hope you keep having this success as you install the rest of your plugins.

Take care bro!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 02:51:05 (permalink)
James, Jose.

Have you all notice with plugins that use jBridge, doesn't always sync internal with the MIDI sync / getting its timing from the host? Sonar bitbridge does it correctly though but not jBridge.
At least not with Omnisphere? Stays in 120bpm always even if the project has example 100bpm? Omnisphere is still in 32bit and the last plugin from Spectrasonics that isn't in 64bit. The new update 64bit version will come out any day now, so all this will soon be forgotten. Timing and latency compensation work always with Native 64bit plugins.

Also remember that all “bridge”-Plugins & Instruments with SONAR-bitbridge or jBridge-bitbridge doesn't support latency compensation. You need manual fix timing issues. This isn't an issue in most cases because the buffer-size are so small so you having hard time to notice the problem.
But any how, “Heads-up”; there sometimes possibility this can effect your timing working in SONAR with 32bit plugins. You will notice sometimes that example “time” and “internal-timing” “ARP-functions” with 32bit plugins doesn't play and work correctly, “in time” with the host. Example of this “internal time”-problem is on Omnisphere Arp-section patches. The Omnisphere timing is usually +10 Tics from the original position in SONAR, so delaying the MIDI track -10 Ticks fix this timing issue.

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/10/31 02:52:51

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 14:23:06 (permalink)
UPDATE:

Still progressing/testing... like I mentioned, it takes time and a whole lot of patience. Some interesting nuances with BitBridge vs. JBridge, etc. (Thanks, Freddie for the notes!) Will be looking at that more closely as soon as I can.

I'm also in touch with several developers right now, lots of balls in the air, trying to resolve some of the issues. All of them have been responsive and I feel that everyone, especially Cakewalk, wants x64 to be a big success.

One tech person I talked with had good words to say about Sonar x64 as well, which is nice to hear every once in a while. 

But like I mentioned, I think most problems will be solved fairly soon, or at least a workaround is available.

And I have it on good authority that the x64 version of Omnisphere will be released very soon (that's not privileged information, I'm allowed to say that), so I'll be sure to report if I have any issues with that.

post edited by eratu - 2009/10/31 14:24:26
brammer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 819
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 14:37:05 (permalink)
I'd just like to say "Thank You" for all your hard work & sharing your info

Many of us will be joining you in the future on the "leading edge" thanks to your sweat & perseverance on the "Bleeding Edge"

i7-930, 12 gigs RAM, Gigabyte UD3, Geforce 960 
Win10 Pro 64, Sonar Platinum  
M-Audio Profire 2626, Mackie Control Pro,
Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro, 
Music Labs Guitars, TH2, Guitar Rig 5, Superior Drummer 2.2,
EZ Drummer, Kontakt 5, Melodyne 2.0 64 bit
Phoenix
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 14:55:54 (permalink)
eratu

UPDATE:

Okay, I've now installed all the plugins and libraries from NI Komplete 4 and 5 that are NOT inside Komplete 6. I'm waiting a bit more to install K6. I just wanted to keep the old goodies that NI has discontinued. :) I use Akoustic Piano, Vokator, etc. and those have been discontinued and removed from K6. Also, Kontakt 3 and 4 are missing some samples from the Kontakt 2 library....

Verdict: All the older NI plugins I have installed appear to be working just fine with BitBridge so far. Relief!

I even have Kontakt 2 and 3 on there. I also have the x64 version of Kontakt 3.5 installed and it appears to be working fine in Sonar x64. Yay! I will have to test it more, but at least it loads up without BitBridge and seems to be working great.

Next up I will install my sample library (and most of them use a variant of Kontakt players) and then I'll install Komplete 6.

Seems things are starting to come together.... :)
=1 to what brammer said. You're helping a lot of us here...and I hope we've helped back. Speaking of which...
Could you post the list of those Komplete libraries that are not in K6, or PM it to me?

eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 15:58:13 (permalink)
Glad to be of help, and I'm deeply appreciative of the help I've received! I'm glad I hung in there, I think this x64 setup will be fantastic when it's all done. :)

Phoenix:

Komplete 4 had Spektral Delay and Vokator, both really great plugins. Those two were discontinued in Komplete 5. Everything else was upgraded and/or carried over to Komplete 5.

Komplete 5 had Pro-53, Akoustik Piano, B4 II and Elelktrik Piano, which were discontinued in Komplete 6. Everything else was upgraded and/or carried over to Komplete 6.

Now, for the sticky notes about Kontakt, as far as I understand:

Kontakt 4 (in Komplete 6) has all the Kontakt 3 libraries plus some good new ones. It also includes the Elektrik Piano samples, and *might* have the B4 II samples... but I'm pretty sure it DOES NOT have the full set of Akoustik Piano samples. :( Supposedly, NI will release those Akoustik Piano samples again... but you are out of luck for now if you don't have Komplete 4 or 5 or a separate license of Akoustik Piano.

Kontakt 3 (in Komplete 5) has MOST of the Kontakt 2 libraries, but there are some notable exceptions... it appears to have skipped the 06-13 libraries (in the Kontakt 2 Library directory), which have lots of various good samples... over 2.5GB of good stuff. That's why I bothered starting with Kontakt 2, so I could keep those goodies around. :)

Hope that helps!
Phoenix
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 16:52:41 (permalink)
eratu--
Thanks much!
I have Komplete 3 through 6, and all the libraries are sitting on my E: drive (transferred from old installs) but I think it's time to consolidate, since I will only be having Komplete 5 and 6 instruments installed, with some exceptions (like Spektral Delay and Vokator).
post edited by Phoenix - 2009/10/31 17:40:46
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 17:20:48 (permalink)
Cool, sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to consolidate via the "install fresh but intelligently" method, starting at Komplete 4. :) I have prior Kompletes (back to the days of Komplete Care) but  I don't believe there was anything significant/different missing from Komplete 3.

BTW, my notes are provisional... the best knowledge I have as of right now... you might want to verify yourself so you don't inadvertently delete something important. :) If you spot something I'm incorrect about in the NI differences, please do let me know!

Phoenix
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 17:47:04 (permalink)
I'm going to back up anything I delete to an external drive anyway; probably will consolidate as I go, seeing what entries are duplicated in the database.
I haven't figured it out yet, really. I think most of the duplication is between the Kontakt 3 and 4 libraries, and if I am going to install Kontakt 3.5 I have to install the library again anyway, since the 3.5 installer ****es if I try to do an end run around it, so no sense deleting before then anyway.
Also, I remeber seeing some threads about library duplication on the Kontakt forums. Maybe someone's made a master list...
...or I may just move the stuff I'm not sure about to the new partition I'll have on my OS drive after I delete Windows XP. I have a lot of room on that drive, if I can just sort out which audio files (or project files) are best suited to living there.
post edited by Phoenix - 2009/10/31 17:53:46
SONARtist
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 18:20:32 (permalink)
eratu ... glad you're moving forward and not feeling so down in the dumps as a while ago. 

I (we) are learning a lot thru' your (and others may I add) blood, sweat and tears.  I actually found one plug that we're both using ... Omnisphere :-)

Good luck !
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 19:07:33 (permalink)
Eratu and Jose....I (and I am sure many others) have been lurking in this thread from the beginning and I want to say a heartfelt "Thank You!" for posting your journey.  I recently got an i7 system and installed Win 7 64 and am going through the "reinstall DAW" process to get my "completely 64 bit" DAW up and running.  I am taking a different "minimalist" approach where I am trying to avoid dragging everything on my win XP DAW with me and only taking what I really use but your using a lot more plugs than I do really paves the way(especially with Dim Pro...really appreciate you navigating that minefield for me/us!).  If you don't mind, I would like to post any issues or discoveries I have with my upgrade on your thread if that's OK with you as I use a different set of plugins.  If not, I'll start a new one.  Don't want to hijack.  Keep charging...a number of us are only a few days behind you! 

BTW, I bought Jbridge without even trying it out based on your commentary...agree with you that those are the kind of people we should support.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Jose7822
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 19:40:28 (permalink)
Hey Andy,

By all means, do post your experiences here too.  I'm sure Eratu won't mind it either as it could potetially help others, which is why he created this thread.  So feel free to do so :-)  By the way, I wish you all the best in the transition to 64 bit.  The hardest part is letting go of those plugins that won't work in this version.  But, if you use a lot of 32 bit plugins, installing Sonar x86 alongside Sonar x64 should make the change a bit smoother.  Sonar x86 (or 32 bit) works exactly the same in a 64 bit environment as it did in a 32 bit one.  I used to do this until Bitbridge 2.0 came out.  And now with JBridge, I'll have all the bases covered.

This should help us make a list of all the plugins that work and don't work in Sonar 8.5 under Windows 7 x64 using both Bitbridge and JBridge.  By the way, did you read my thread about First impression of Windows 7?  If not, click on my name and you should see it displayed on the right.  You will find some information regarding the installation of Win 7.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

AndyW
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/10/31 20:37:31 (permalink)
ThanX, Jose...I've been following your thread as well!

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 09:02:18 (permalink)
SONARtist

eratu ... glad you're moving forward and not feeling so down in the dumps as a while ago. 

I (we) are learning a lot thru' your (and others may I add) blood, sweat and tears.  I actually found one plug that we're both using ... Omnisphere :-)

Good luck !

LOL! Yeah, feeling much better. :) I'm getting the hang of testing these plugins...

The best things you can do for yourself when you start testing your own plugins are:

1) buy JBridge
2) install Sonar 32-bit version along side the 64-bit version
3) disable (or at least be aware of) UAC
4) run Sonar as admin when needed, or permanently
5) be methodical, do your homework, take notes, and ask for help in the forum

6) contact plugin developers and Cakewalk, they do want to help

And BTW, I think we probably share more plugins than just Omnisphere and the Cakewalk/Sonar ones. I'm trying to install in the order of plugins that are critical but yet have unknown results based on my homework. I suspected there would be issues with FabFilter, Arturia, etc... but I've also installed plugins from Camel Audio, Applied Acoustics, LennarDigital and a few others, and all seem to be working okay, some with minor workarounds. And of course I've installed older plugins from NI (from Komplete 4 and 5), and those are all working fine from what I can tell.

Right now I'm in the midst of installing my Kontakt-based sample library (East West stuff, etc.) and it is going smoothly so far, just taking time. I'm confident they will all work now. Even the old included customized players seem to work (although I use Kontakt 3 for all of them). Authorization has been a breeze. I'm impressed with how smoothly NI has authorization working now, even for old plugins. Then I'll install Komplete 6.

Then, I'll install Omnisphere (I decided not to install its predecessor, Atmosphere, on this machine), but I'm hoping by the time I get around to it this week, the much-hyped x64 version of Omnisphere will be here. :)

Then there are a bunch more plugins, and I'm sure we overlap there too, but they are lower priority to me than the above plugins or already have 64-bit versions, or are already known to work well with BitBridge, or I'm not using them much in my production any more, so I'm saving those for later, maybe in a week or two, when needed, or not at all. But I will report back in this thread if I have trouble with those. For example, I have some Antares plugins that I just don't use that much any more, and at least one of them is discontinued, so I doubt I'll get any support on that.

Anyway, I'm now confident, or at least very optimistic that this is going to work. It's just a hell of a lot more time-consuming and tricky to get things working than I anticipated. I was expecting things to have gone a lot more smoothly for me. If I knew the teething problems were still this tricky, I would have waited. But since I'm in too deep now, I decided to push through a bit more, and it will hopefully pay off. The idea of having all that RAM to work with, and no more limitations of plugins, etc., is really what is driving me. If you never skirt to the edge of RAM with your DAW (i.e. you never use much by way of sample libraries or RAM-hungry plugins), then all this trouble is definitely not worth it. :)
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 09:10:40 (permalink)
AndyW

Eratu and Jose....I (and I am sure many others) have been lurking in this thread from the beginning and I want to say a heartfelt "Thank You!" for posting your journey.  I recently got an i7 system and installed Win 7 64 and am going through the "reinstall DAW" process to get my "completely 64 bit" DAW up and running.  I am taking a different "minimalist" approach where I am trying to avoid dragging everything on my win XP DAW with me and only taking what I really use but your using a lot more plugs than I do really paves the way(especially with Dim Pro...really appreciate you navigating that minefield for me/us!).  If you don't mind, I would like to post any issues or discoveries I have with my upgrade on your thread if that's OK with you as I use a different set of plugins.  If not, I'll start a new one.  Don't want to hijack.  Keep charging...a number of us are only a few days behind you! 

BTW, I bought Jbridge without even trying it out based on your commentary...agree with you that those are the kind of people we should support.

Like Jose said, please post here! Jose is the greatest forum member of all time, as far as I'm concerned, so what he says, goes. ;) Plus, he's a genuinely superb human being worthy of your time to get to know. :)

I'm really glad you bought JBridge! Thank you for supporting Joao -- he's the relief pitcher of the DAW world right now, and he's covering the gaps in x64 really well. :)

Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 10:24:48 (permalink)
Phoenix

@Freddie H--I think you're right; I have UAC turned off in Win 7 RC (going to start my RTM install this weekend).
Too many progs even when run with elevated priveleges, still require constant supervision and click-through. Perhaps I will try leaving it on again once my RTM install is in place, some new versions out...

Great Phoenix!

Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
vksf01
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 10:46:59 (permalink)
hi eratu,
thanks for this informative thread.  i've been "living vicariously" through your x64 experiences since i'm planning the 64-bit jump as well.  from what i can see, the big issue with you (other than the fabfilter one) is the synchrosoft issue.  how is that working out for you?  i have 2 synchrosoft protected vstis, analog factory and predator, and i use predator a lot.  it would really suck if i lost the use of that.

thanks!
Jose7822
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 14:19:08 (permalink)
eratu

Like Jose said, please post here! Jose is the greatest forum member of all time, as far as I'm concerned, so what he says, goes. ;) Plus, he's a genuinely superb human being worthy of your time to get to know. :)

I'm really glad you bought JBridge! Thank you for supporting Joao -- he's the relief pitcher of the DAW world right now, and he's covering the gaps in x64 really well. :)
Right back at you partner. 

I think what you've done here in the Sonar forum over the years speaks volumes of how valuable you've been to us all.  Need I remind everyone that if it wasn't for Eratu and Vin, we wouldn't have the Sonar 8 we have today.  Thanks to the Benchmark thread, the Cakesters got on track and started working on the Sonar audio engine that enjoys so much today.  He was also kind enough to make a comparison chart (a very complete one at that) of at least three of the most used DAWs on the PC side (Sonar, Cubase and Reaper).  How about the Motorboating issue?  The first person I saw doing something about it was Eratu.  Then everyone else who had been experiencing this phenomena started chiming in and adding their voice.  Today, Motorboating is a thing of the past for most of us.  I'm sure there are still cases where it happens, but at least this has been greatly minimized.

I can keep going about all the contributions Eratu has made to this forum, including this thread.  And I may sound like I'm in love with the guy or something (maybe I am, but not in a gay way - I like women OK :-P).  But he is just an amazing human being, very easy going and with a lot of patience.  I mean, who would go through all this trouble and still keep at it? :-)  If he says I'm worth knowing, I say he is worth treating.  That's just how great of a friend he is.  Eratu is worth Gold!  So I hope he continues to be part of our community for a long time.  Thanks for being who you are Eratu!

Take care bro!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the big THANK YOU in my signature you've seen in the last few days is meant for Eratu.  He knows about it, but I wanted to let you know. :-)

post edited by Jose7822 - 2009/11/01 14:23:38

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400

eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 16:37:53 (permalink)
Ummm..... not sure how to respond to that, I definitely don't take credit for any of those things, and Jose was right along there too, and many other great forum members. Thanks, Jose! You know what I think about you! I hope Cakewalk sends you a complimentary license for all their software, plus a T-shirt signed by the developers. :) And I will agree that Vin is a tremendous asset and he contributed greatly to this forum, in my opinion. If we say much more about each other the Cakewalk server might melt from embarrassment. :)

BTW, this is a good opportunity to thank all the forum members who have helped out here, elsewhere and behind the scenes on lots of different issues -- and also the good folks at Cakewalk! There's a LOT not mentioned in this thread... :) They really do want things to work well. I can certify that there are some Cakewalk people working the weekends trying to get your plugins up and running. I hope they are paid well. :)

post edited by eratu - 2009/11/01 17:16:56
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 17:05:54 (permalink)
vksf01

hi eratu,
thanks for this informative thread.  i've been "living vicariously" through your x64 experiences since i'm planning the 64-bit jump as well.  from what i can see, the big issue with you (other than the fabfilter one) is the synchrosoft issue.  how is that working out for you?  i have 2 synchrosoft protected vstis, analog factory and predator, and i use predator a lot.  it would really suck if i lost the use of that.

thanks!

I'm almost certain I'm through the worst of it. I haven't mentioned everything in this thread, but suffice it to say, several people have been involved and we all owe them thanks! They know who they are, if they read this.

As for the syncrosoft-based plugins, I can say that I am basically up and running with them via a couple of creative workarounds. Cakewalk is also aware of some potentially related issues, as has been reported elsewhere.

For syncrosoft plugins, this would be my recipe to get them working:

1) Buy JBridge. :) If anything is acting strangely, that's a great tool to have handy to use as backup.

2) Have Sonar 32-bit installed along side Sonar 64-bit for testing purposes. Trust me. You will not regret it when the going gets tough. I have not remotely described in this thread the number of different tests I've done to help track down the root causes of the problems, and it was essential that I had the 32-bit version handy for comparison.

3) Test and then retest when it comes to a plugin with copy protection. There have been some funky issues that I've had to work through, and there is no definitive solution yet for the Arturia Moog Modular V 2.5 plugin issue, for example. If that plugin has an issue, I'm sure other syncrosoft-related plugins will have similar issues. Make sure you save a project, then reload it successfully before committing to a usage pattern for the plugin.

4) Be aware that there are a couple of ways to instantiate a VSTi plugin. Some people (like me!) have forgotten the old-school way of putting them into the FX bin of an audio track as an inline synth plugin. If things aren't working for you via the synth rack alone or synth-rack-based instrument tracks, try the inline method. :)

5) If you do get into a bind, get in touch with Cakewalk and the developer of the plugin. Make sure you document every step of the way that causes the problem. From my experience, I really feel that Cakewalk wants to make as many plugins as possible work with BitBridge. It is not trivial what they are doing. There is no other bridge solution that does as much as BitBridge attempts to do at this time, and it's even latency-compensated. So be patient too.

But seriously, I think it won't be that bad for your Analog Factory and Predator plugins. I thought both of my Arturia plugins were causing me issues, but I was wrong -- the CS80V2 is behaving just fine, even with the syncrosoft protection. The naughty one was the Moog Modular V 2.5, but I have two workarounds for it now, and I look forward to a final solution in an upcoming update. :)

PLEASE do let us know how it goes for you... I have my eyes on more Arturia plugins and other syncrosoft plugins as well, so it would be good to cross-reference solutions.

Also, the FabFilter issue is still open, but there are some workarounds for that too, now. I think I've mentioned two ways to get around those problems.

Sylenth1 x64 is just plain broken from what I can tell, but the 32-bit version works fine in BitBridge.

Dim Pro x64 is up and running fine after a lot of runaround. (UAC and admin solutions)

All my NI plugins are working fine so far. I'm shocked by that. :)

And all other plugins I've installed so far are working with BitBridge. :)

When I started out, I think my goal was that 90% of my core plugins had to work with BitBridge in order for me to consider my move to Win 7 x64 and Sonar 8.54 x64 a success. And at the current tally, I'm pretty close. That says a lot for the hard work of the Cakewalk team.
eratu
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 17:14:47 (permalink)
Bleh... error
AndyW
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 21:38:46 (permalink)
This is info to help save time and effort for those who have Expression Engine Synths(such as Rapture and DimPro) and their multisamples on a separate data drive who are upgrading to Win 7 64.  It shows you how to only install the basic program and then redirect the multisample directory pointer and move the programs list to the Win 7 location.  I have only tested this on Rapture so far but it worked like a charm.  BTW, I don't claim to have discovered any of this info.  I did a search of the forum and google so I am simply reposting info others have posted.  My gratitude goes out to them for figuring this out!

Disclaimer: If you don't know how to edit stuff in the registry...DON'T ATTEMPT THIS....you assume all risk for playing with your registry!

This example uses Rapture...the synth name will obviously change for the registry entries and such for other synths...

1.  Install Rapture x64 in Win 7 64.

2.  Verify Rapture works.  Now close the synth.

3. redirect your multisamples directory in your registry

- Click Start | Run, type regedit and hit enter
- Navigate to the following folder:

HKLM\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture

- Create a new key/string titled "Multisamples Folder"
- Enter the value of your custom samples HD location where you want to store Rapture's Multisamples
- Save your settings and close regedit.

(recopied from a post by chad...ThanX chad! http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1685703
 also got help from  http://sonar.sonarama.com...Multisample_Relocation )

4.  Now you need to move your programs to your win 7 install.

In Win XP your programs reside in

...Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs

Simply copy everything in that directory to the equivalent Win 7 location, which is

..Users\All Users\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs

( ThanX to auricle for pointing me in the correct direction!  http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1208059 )

Now, when you open Rapture you should see what existed in your XP version....and you didn't have to spend hours loading sound sets! 

HTH.

post edited by AndyW - 2009/11/01 21:43:17

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
vksf01
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/01 22:07:50 (permalink)
eratu

vksf01

hi eratu,

thanks!

I'm almost certain I'm through the worst of it. I haven't mentioned everything in this thread, but suffice it to say, several people have been involved and we all owe them thanks! They know who they are, if they read this.

As for the syncrosoft-based plugins, I can say that I am basically up and running with them via a couple of creative workarounds. Cakewalk is also aware of some potentially related issues, as has been reported elsewhere.

For syncrosoft plugins, this would be my recipe to get them working:

1) Buy JBridge. :) If anything is acting strangely, that's a great tool to have handy to use as backup.

2) Have Sonar 32-bit installed along side Sonar 64-bit for testing purposes. Trust me. You will not regret it when the going gets tough. I have not remotely described in this thread the number of different tests I've done to help track down the root causes of the problems, and it was essential that I had the 32-bit version handy for comparison.

3) Test and then retest when it comes to a plugin with copy protection. There have been some funky issues that I've had to work through, and there is no definitive solution yet for the Arturia Moog Modular V 2.5 plugin issue, for example. If that plugin has an issue, I'm sure other syncrosoft-related plugins will have similar issues. Make sure you save a project, then reload it successfully before committing to a usage pattern for the plugin.

4) Be aware that there are a couple of ways to instantiate a VSTi plugin. Some people (like me!) have forgotten the old-school way of putting them into the FX bin of an audio track as an inline synth plugin. If things aren't working for you via the synth rack alone or synth-rack-based instrument tracks, try the inline method. :)

5) If you do get into a bind, get in touch with Cakewalk and the developer of the plugin. Make sure you document every step of the way that causes the problem. From my experience, I really feel that Cakewalk wants to make as many plugins as possible work with BitBridge. It is not trivial what they are doing. There is no other bridge solution that does as much as BitBridge attempts to do at this time, and it's even latency-compensated. So be patient too.

But seriously, I think it won't be that bad for your Analog Factory and Predator plugins. I thought both of my Arturia plugins were causing me issues, but I was wrong -- the CS80V2 is behaving just fine, even with the syncrosoft protection. The naughty one was the Moog Modular V 2.5, but I have two workarounds for it now, and I look forward to a final solution in an upcoming update. :)

PLEASE do let us know how it goes for you... I have my eyes on more Arturia plugins and other syncrosoft plugins as well, so it would be good to cross-reference solutions.

Also, the FabFilter issue is still open, but there are some workarounds for that too, now. I think I've mentioned two ways to get around those problems.

Sylenth1 x64 is just plain broken from what I can tell, but the 32-bit version works fine in BitBridge.

Dim Pro x64 is up and running fine after a lot of runaround. (UAC and admin solutions)

All my NI plugins are working fine so far. I'm shocked by that. :)

And all other plugins I've installed so far are working with BitBridge. :)

When I started out, I think my goal was that 90% of my core plugins had to work with BitBridge in order for me to consider my move to Win 7 x64 and Sonar 8.54 x64 a success. And at the current tally, I'm pretty close. That says a lot for the hard work of the Cakewalk team.

Thanks for that!  I just discovered that there is a native x64 version of Predator that was released at the end of September, so hopefully this also means that Rob has figured out how to get the synchrosoft elicensor to work.  So, as soon as I get my current project done, I'm going to go for it!

AndyW
Re:New DAW build for Sonar 8.5 x64 and Win 7 x64 - work in progress 2009/11/02 03:49:54 (permalink)
If anyone is interested, the CW Studio Instruments plugins have x64 versions and they work in win 7 64.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1