Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/10 12:59:56 (permalink)
Good to see this is inspiring to some.

I'm doing some more guitar work today. I'm really trying to squeeze as much as I can out of Amplitube, but the minute I A/B it with cabinet impulses, the impulses still seem to have the edge.

The high frequencies just seem to rolloff more nicely. A bit of a pain, as browsing through impulses and loading them one by one to try things really isn't as intuitive as grabbing the virtual mic and moving it in front of a virtual cab. 

For anyone wishing to dabble with that stuff, using a couple of impulses just adds to the realism - just a few, say a 57 and a 421 + an ambient mic on those free Marshall impulses from Redwirez. It's about depth. 

I'm using Redwirez Mix2IR for that purpose as it's the best solution on the Mac side (available for Windows too), but there's a free Windows VST called LeCab 2 which lets you load multiple impulses. Haven't tested it but you may want to give it a try. 

But, the AT stuff could probably be tweaked to fit in the mix in the context of a demo. It's just that the impulses take it a few steps higher.

That being said, for tracking, I'm still quite happy with AT. 

post edited by Rain - 2011/09/10 13:07:13

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/10 23:19:50 (permalink)
 I think someone already mentioned this or maybe I read it wrong. This is what I think I heard......Sonar has Perfect Space built into X-1 and can easily load impulses. I have had great results from Perfect Space for years. Can't we load impulses into it just like Rain does with Redwirez stuff? There are probably tons of free cab impulses out there to be had. Has anyone here used Perfect space for this application? 

Oh and I gotta love Redwirez...where else can you have the operation of the software described to you by a guy in a shark suit lol.

post edited by Starise - 2011/09/10 23:21:06

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/11 00:14:23 (permalink)
I haven't used Perfect Space in a long time - it will load those same impulse but I can't remember it being able to load more than one at a time though. Maybe it does, but I'm really not sure.

If it doesn't, a work around would be to load a few instances on different busses, select a different impulse for each and blend to taste. That's what I used to do before I bought Mix2IR. 

Like I mentioned earlier, there LeCab2, a donationware VST, which works on the same principle. Haven't tried it (Windows only). http://lepouplugins.blogs...2-vst-for-windows.html

Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mix2IR - with its integrated impulse browser and the routing options, it makes trying different combinations a bit easier. Plus the folks at Redwirez are pretty cool too - it's a little company w/ a passion for what they do. I wrote to them and I had my reply within 20 minutes.

For $49, it's really a bargain, imho. 

StevenMikel
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 319
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/11 00:51:57 (permalink)
Ya this thread has inspired me to realy get to work recording some music and trying different things to get a good direct signal from my guitar to GTP 4.I'm running my guitar into a Rocktron Replifex using only the compressor and out to my UX2.I notice a big difference using GR 4 and PodFarm 2.5 in standalone mode and in test runs in  GTP4.The next thing I'm going to try is,micing my amp with the Replifex as front end for my guitar going into both my amp and UX2,the Replifex has a left and right out.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/11 10:30:25 (permalink)
Rain

I haven't used Perfect Space in a long time - it will load those same impulse but I can't remember it being able to load more than one at a time though. Maybe it does, but I'm really not sure.

If it doesn't, a work around would be to load a few instances on different busses, select a different impulse for each and blend to taste. That's what I used to do before I bought Mix2IR. 

Like I mentioned earlier, there LeCab2, a donationware VST, which works on the same principle. Haven't tried it (Windows only). http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2010/12/lecab2-vst-for-windows.html

Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mix2IR - with its integrated impulse browser and the routing options, it makes trying different combinations a bit easier. Plus the folks at Redwirez are pretty cool too - it's a little company w/ a passion for what they do. I wrote to them and I had my reply within 20 minutes.

You nailed it Rain...that's the problem with PS. One impulse at a time...and if you don't have a pretty fast pc, loading multiple instances of it can really bog you down. I use Voxengo Prinstine Space where I can load 8 instances at once without bogging down anything. We also have a built in cab loader in our ABG stuff which helps because it's embedded right into the program. Yeah the Redwirez stuff is amazing. Their stuff will be featured in our next Head Case release.....so the owner gave the developers and beta testers his entire library of tones to work with. It's huge man...and well worth it. I would have definitely paid for this stuff if he didn't give it to me. If you think the free ones are great, wait until you hear some of the others. If this sim thing is what you're really enjoying at the moment, the more cab impulses you have, the better off you'll be in my opinion. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/11 12:36:31 (permalink)
Yep - already bought a couple of cabs from them. There's something about those Mesa cabs which gets me, I almost always throw one somewhere in my mixes.

For those interested, the nice thing is that the prices go down as you add new ones, but you don't have to buy them all at once to benefit from that. IOW, if you bought 2 last week, you still get the adjusted price for your next purchase and on and on. 

StevenMikel
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 319
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/11 14:51:42 (permalink)
 Here's a forum for amp modeling,that might help somebody http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/index.php
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/12 22:46:20 (permalink)
For anyone interested in less typical "Marshall/Fender/Vox" type of sounds, you might want to check Ignite Amps plug-ins.

http://www.igniteamps.com...;Itemid=55&lang=en

Their "enhanced" version of the classic TS actually shapes up audio in a way that I haven't yet encountered in similar plug-ins - even w/o adding drive. 

Their amps are pretty smooth too, even with lots of gain.  They have a "thickness" that I haven't really heard often in amps sims.

EDIT - Should have mentioned: those are free. :)

Re-EDIT - That little TS999 of theirs is definitely worth a try. For anyone interested in putting something before their Amp Sim of choice in the software domain, short of the Acme stuff Danny mentioned, this might it. 
post edited by Rain - 2011/09/13 19:19:34

Starise
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/13 10:44:21 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Rain

Like I mentioned earlier, there LeCab2, a donationware VST, which works on the same principle. Haven't tried it (Windows only). http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2010/12/lecab2-vst-for-windows.html

You nailed it Rain...that's the problem with PS. One impulse at a time...and if you don't have a pretty fast pc, loading multiple instances of it can really bog you down. I use Voxengo Prinstine Space where I can load 8 instances at once without bogging down anything. We also have a built in cab loader in our ABG stuff which helps because it's embedded right into the program. Yeah the Redwirez stuff is amazing. Their stuff will be featured in our next Head Case release.....so the owner gave the developers and beta testers his entire library of tones to work with. It's huge man...and well worth it. I would have definitely paid for this stuff if he didn't give it to me. If you think the free ones are great, wait until you hear some of the others. If this sim thing is what you're really enjoying at the moment, the more cab impulses you have, the better off you'll be in my opinion. :)

-Danny

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/14 20:41:53 (permalink)
Thanks again on the addendum on this guys. Very informative.

Me

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/17 14:19:14 (permalink)
A quick update... I was going to grab Waves GTR PRS interface and a few pedals Danny suggested this weekend and see where that lead me but my fiancée surprised me with... a Pod. :)

Feels like an old friend is back and I can just focus on performing instead of spending anywhere between 2 and 5 hours a night tweaking, comparing and shopping for impulses.

I was a bit worried that my ears would somehow have "matured" in a way that would make me find all sort of negative characteristics to it - I had sold mine 4 or 5 years ago -  as I have learned quite a bit in the process but, you know what -  I think I can handle the Pod's own shortcomings just fine. Nothing that bothers me half as much as with my attempts with soft sims. Plus, it frees up the CPU. :p

I still believe that the proper conjunction of hardware and software (+ impulses) can yield even better results. But it's definitely not the case of plugging into your audio interface's instrument input and dialing a tone in the software. And it isn't necessarily a more cost effective option either. 

For someone like me who tends to agonize over the slightest detail when I'm given the opportunity, I guess it's preferable to set the tone upfront, record as is and work it out from there on. Though all that testing paid off somehow.

Of course, this doesn't beat a mic'ed amp, but, being on the road, portability and the ability to record at low volume are non-negotiable. 

Still, I feel maybe this thread should be kept alive as long as it's inspiring to some - and it's not like I've completely given up on software either. So if anyone feels like sharing more tips and pointing us in new directions, please feel free to chime in. :)

Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/17 14:43:34 (permalink)
Which Pod? Does it have a direct out? That would be handy for recording the POD audio on one channel and the direct guitar audio on the other. Then you would have the option of doubling, or more, with a guitar sim as well as reamping.
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/17 16:51:01 (permalink)
A simple POD 2. In all honesty, I'm done "re-amping" for a while. I got more work done in the last 2 hours alone than I had in a very very long while. For once I'm okay with the performance and I can live with the sound - nothing I can't eq and maybe compress to a level I consider satisfying. 

It just makes things much easier in my situation (working on a laptop) - no need to worry about latency and resources, freezing, bouncing, no need to constantly go back to plug-ins and scroll through menus, copy channel settings, re-record... I can just focus on playing.

As much as I like software, I end up being non-productive as I prefer to have a feel for the tone that's as close to what I like as possible when I'm playing - meaning that even if I record dry, I usually don't just re-amp if I opt for a different amp/cab - I re-record the whole thing with the closest approximation to what I have in mind. And probably because there was always a missing link (hardware), I just never felt like I had recorded a keeper - either the performance wasn't right or I didn't "feel" the sound, or whatever. If it wasn't one thing, it was another.

Trying to capture a decent performance in that context can be pretty nightmarish.

Even if a lot of that stuff will be re-recorded in studio, which makes the whole thing a bit silly, I never previously reached a level where I felt I could let go. And doing a quick a/b test of my previous laborious attempts, even if sonically there are good things with the impulses, in terms of performance, its night and day. 

That's just me and my setup, of course.

Starise
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/18 21:54:16 (permalink)
Hey Rain I have to agree that there are some awesome tones on the POD. Some of the cab impulses are pretty decent too. I'm not sure how this will sound after its been converted, but I am posting an example. Maybe it will give some idea of what you can get.
  I am including a screenshot of my POD settings. As you can see I'm using the Dutch-Pasadenian setting. This has the Gibtone 185 and a 1x12 Gibtone cabinet with an SM57 on axis as the cab model,going out a simulated Bogner in triode.

Sonde example- http://soundcloud.com/starise/guitar-demo

Twitter @Rodein

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/19 20:57:10 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing Starise! :) Cool tone. 

The Pod 2 doesn't have as many models - 32  - still, that's twice as many as what I was used to with the first one, and I was happy with that. No USB port either, and I think all deep editing must be performed via Sound Diver or maybe a more modern equivalent. Anyway, I don't have a MIDI port, so it's out of the question.

Nevertheless, version 2 allows me to access all amps and cabs on the POD itself, which is pretty much all I need. Somehow, I'm glad that it's all off the computer. As I mentioned earlier, I can live with these tones.

The cabs are a bit darker. Doing some AB testing and comparing with the tones I had obtained via software, it made it even more obvious that software tend to sound a lot brighter - not to say excessively bright. 

I think Line 6 may have intentionally opted for darker impulses so that their emulation never sounds  harsh, even at the cost of sounding a bit muffled at timed. Almost as if they tried to reproduce the good old natural rolloff of pre-digital recordings. Not to a point where they can't be eq'ed and made brighter. So it's all good.

I've disabled the cab emulation and dabbled with impulses just for fun. The results were interesting, though I'm not sure I'm willing to spend much energy in that direction. This also seemed to confirm that their own impulses are "tuned" to avoid sounding harsh - Pod + impulses still sounds smoother and rounder than just an amp sim and impulses but the it also gets closer to that digital harshness.

At any rate, I must say I'm happy with it - the first few hours playing with it left me feeling pretty much the same way I felt when I bought my very first Marshall. Like, ok, that cares care of the problem. That's my tone, now lets make some music.

I'm anxious to share some of that stuff here - though it might take a while. 

Starise
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 10:56:00 (permalink)
Glad your liking the POD! Sounds like a great way to do things if your on the road. FWIW I don't see the drastic differences in tones comparing the older pods to the new ones. There are some slight differences but don't believe the line 6 marketing hype totally.  I had an X3 and I sold it. The sounds in it were basically the same as the POD 2 and  they were more than adequate.

Not sure with POD 2, but I think you can download free patches modeled after guitar sounds on certain bands albums,at least I was able to do that with my last few PODs. From reading this thread a lot of our guitarists are using either a POD or the software equivalent.

A pod thru a small tube amp is also pretty impressive and I really like their deal with Bogner to make the new amp series.

Twitter @Rodein

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 13:54:28 (permalink)
Yup. My first software only option was Pod Farm. But I just can't get it to work. 

I thought I had finally managed to get it working using the VST version instead of the Audio Unit in StudioOne last week, but after 30 minutes, it started crashing again and corrupted the project. Fortunately, it was a dedicated test project, created for the sole purpose of trying Pod Farm, so I didn't lose anything.
It's rather sad though - I've just found out that they made it available w/o an iLock and I was pretty much sold to it - even if I now have the Pod, I probably would have bought it for the effects. 

Looking at their forums, it seems like 2.5 really is a problematic release for a lot of people, at least on the Mac platform. 

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 14:44:48 (permalink)
pignose, microphone, done!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 15:11:13 (permalink)
batsbrew

pignose, microphone, done!

Hotel room, Russia = Pod, headphones. ;)

Once we get back, of course, it'll probably be Marshall + 4 x 12 cab all the way up. 

batsbrew
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 15:22:40 (permalink)
hehe

zappa used the little pignose to record stuff on overnite sensation and apostrophe..

i used to have one, came in REAL HANDY when i lived in charleston south carolina when hurricane hugo hit, and knocked out my power for 6 weeks!!!

D batteries, baby.
no transformers, no headphones.

honestly, one of the very best live LOUD sounds i ever heard, was a cover group doing old classic rock stuff- the guitar player had an AMPEG V4 half stack, and was using the pignose as a preamp.
awesome.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 15:26:49 (permalink)
in fact, i've thought about doing a 'modern' interpretation of that very thing, with my boogie..

using a Vox Brian May Deacy, as the 'preamp'.

it was only $150 back in the day....

Fans of Queen recognize the unmistakable guitar tones of Brian May. His smoothly overdriven, almost violin like guitar solos can be heard in such songs as "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "You're My Best Friend." His signature guitar tone is largely developed by passing his guitar signal first through a treble booster, then through the input of a hand made low wattage "Deacy" amplifier made for Brian by Queen bassist John Deacon. The output of the "Deacy" amp then feeds an array of up to twelve non top boosted Vox AC-30 amplifiers.
Vox introduced the VBM-1 Brian May Special amplifier in 2003. Vox wanted to build a package that would combine both the treble booster and the sound of the "Deacy" amp circuit. Brian May allowed Vox engineers access to the "Deacy" amp so they could develop the circuits necessary to accurately reproduce these unmistakable tones.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/09/20 15:41:48 (permalink)
Cool one. I've considered getting a tiny Vox VT a few weeks ago. Didn't get as far as to even try one as the portability factor played against it anyway (starting at 22 lbs). But I'm definitely a fan of the Vox sound.
Maybe as part of my home set up, if we ever go back home some day. :s

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1