Helpful Reply[Plugin now available] Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
2015/01/25 15:12:43 (permalink)

[Plugin now available] Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone?

I read a thread a day or two ago here (can't for the life of me find that thread now), where someone used a Sonitus plugin as a way to create a "track bus" using its side-chain input, so you can have the bus in the same folder with other tracks (like say, multiple drum outputs feeding into one "drum bus" in the same folder).

Of course one can just use a regular bus for this, but I can see how a bus in the same track folder can be useful. So my question is whether it would be useful to have a dedicated plugin that can be inserted in a track FX bin, which would then become the side-chain inputs for any other track. It should be trivial to create such a plugin, so I might have a go at it if there is enough interest. I can just modify one of my existing plugins and rip out everything and add just code to mix all inputs together.

Let me know.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Updating with the post with the actual plugin info:

OK here is the plugin. It works as expected, with one caveat... If you solo the track bus, Sonar will not solo the tracks feeding into the track bus. To get around this, solo the whole folder, or group the solo buttons together.

To use: 
  • Unzip the files.
  • Copy the 32-bit and/or 64-bit files somewhere into your VST3 folders.
  • Let Sonar do a scan.
  • The plugin shows up under Plugins > Audio FX > VST3 > Sidechain Mixer (or wherever you put it).
  • Drag/drop the plugin into the FX bin of the track that you want to convert to a bus.
  • Set the output of any other track to "Sidechain Mixer(Input 2)-[track bus name].

Some points: 
  • You can also send sends into the track bus.
  • You need to set PC to Post-FX if you want the signal to go through PC.
  • I only tested the 64-bit version so let me know if the 32-bit version doesn't work.

post edited by SilkTone - 2015/02/22 00:17:19
microapp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 653
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 17:04:25 (permalink)
I think this is Scook's idea.
This is a thread thant mentions it but it is not the OP.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Findpost/3151211

I like this idea. You should add it to the Features & Ideas forum.

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 17:12:31 (permalink)
No, the idea belongs to LJB.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3050940

Thinking about this though...
Why not just allow moving a sub-bus into the track pane.
This way, there is no audio overhead involved. Just a display thing.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 17:18:28 (permalink)
Yes that would be ideal, but until we can get that feature, a plugin allowing you to do it would have to suffice.

And yes, that was the thread I was talking about.
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 18:15:41 (permalink)
Silk,
Agreed.
And a plug would not break anything else.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 18:20:53 (permalink)
SilkTone
I read a thread a day or two ago here (can't for the life of me find that thread now), where someone used a Sonitus plugin as a way to create a "track bus" using its side-chain input, so you can have the bus in the same folder with other tracks (like say, multiple drum outputs feeding into one "drum bus" in the same folder).

Of course one can just use a regular bus for this, but I can see how a bus in the same track folder can be useful. So my question is whether it would be useful to have a dedicated plugin that can be inserted in a track FX bin, which would then become the side-chain inputs for any other track. It should be trivial to create such a plugin, so I might have a go at it if there is enough interest. I can just modify one of my existing plugins and rip out everything and add just code to mix all inputs together.

Let me know.

Hi no sure I follow why this is even necessary. All outputs that are assigned to a given sidechain input of a plugin are automatically mixed by SONAR prior to delivery to the plugin SC input. So all you need is a dummy pass through plugin that has a sidechain input. Assign as many track or bus outs to that input and you get auto mixing. The level of the individual inputs is controlled by the send gain. This will allow you to route tracks to other tracks.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 18:43:57 (permalink)
Noel,
The idea is to allow a bus to be moved over to the track pane next to the channel strips that feed that bus.
It is not a routing thing it a UI thing.
LJB came up with the idea of using the side chain of a gate to accept sends and hence simulate a bus which can then be placed in the track pane of console view and track view. (think of the way Reaper places buses...almost like a folder)
What we really want is not to have buses limited to positioning in the bus pane on the right.
LJB's method is ingenious but complicated.
Silktone is suggesting a quick and dirty plug to accept sends from other tracks/buses and simply mix them. The plug could be inserted into a track and create a 'virtual' bus with UI properties of a track and the summing functionality of a bus.
This would allow placing the 'virtual bus' into the track view track pane and console view track pane.
The same idea (unlimited UI placement of real buses) is in Features & Ideas and has been mentioned in several threads.
 http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3151211
 My suggestion (and Mod Bod's) is simply to remove the UI limitation of buses only positioned in the bus panes. This would not add additional audio routing and overhead and involve just a UI change.
post edited by microapp - 2015/01/25 19:14:08

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 19:07:28 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk
Hi no sure I follow why this is even necessary. All outputs that are assigned to a given sidechain input of a plugin are automatically mixed by SONAR prior to delivery to the plugin SC input. So all you need is a dummy pass through plugin that has a sidechain input. Assign as many track or bus outs to that input and you get auto mixing. The level of the individual inputs is controlled by the send gain. This will allow you to route tracks to other tracks.

Noel, the topic of a bus in the track view has come up a few times in the past. Sometimes it is convenient to have everything visually together (including a dedicated bus). I realize this isn't a high priority feature and that there probably aren't many people that need it, but it would still be nice.

The reason I started this thread was that after thinking about LJB's thread and how easy it would be get the desired functionality with a very simple plugin, that I would just go ahead and take a stab at it.

I've been playing around with it, basically a plugin that has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Inputs 3 and 4 then become available as a side-chain input for any other track. And as you mention, we can assign as many tracks as we want to those two inputs and all that is required would be a simple block memory copy of channels 3 and 4 into the 2 output buffers. So there isn't even any mixing required in the plugin (not that it is hard or would add any artifacts or use a lot of CPU). I'm wondering what should happen with inputs 1 and 2. They should probably just be ignored, in which case any input directly into the "track bus" would not make it to the output. But that seems fine.

Noel, somewhat unrelated, but maybe you can give me a quick tip... I noticed Sonar Platinum is extremely sluggish under the debugger. It starts up extremely slow (a few minutes each time), and it keeps freezing up. It was never like this. Any ideas? Are there a special mode I can put Sonar into or something along those lines? I am using AD2 as a signal source, maybe it is causing this behavior?

Edit: Haha, just deleted all the empty lines. It was actually my cat that stepped on the keyboard. At 1st I thought he somehow deleted the whole post, but it just scrolled off the screen.
post edited by SilkTone - 2015/01/27 01:26:49
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 20:35:53 (permalink)
OK I think the slow debugging was due to AD2.

BTW I realized I was using the VST 2.3 SDK, which doesn't support 64-bit processing. So I downloaded the VST 3 SDK and am using that instead. It might take a bit longer as I need to get up to speed with it first. I think VST 3 supports side chaining directly so I'll need to figure out how that works.
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 21:03:09 (permalink)
Silk,
I would be happy to be a Beta.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 21:08:06 (permalink)
SilkTone
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk

Noel, the topic of a bus in the track view has come up a few times in the past. Sometimes it is convenient to have everything visually together (including a dedicated bus). I realize this isn't a high priority feature and that there probably aren't many people that need it, but it would still be nice.

The reason I started this thread was that after thinking about LJB's thread and how easy it would be get the desired functionality with a very simple plugin, that I would just go ahead and take a stab at it.

I've been playing around with it, basically a plugin that has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Inputs 3 and 4 then becomes available as a side-chain input for any other track. And as you mention, we can assign as many tracks as we want to those two inputs and all that is required would be a simple block memory copy of channels 3 and 4 into the 2 output buffers. So there isn't even any mixing required in the plugin (not that it is hard or would add any artifacts or use a lot of CPU). I'm wondering what should happen with inputs 1 and 2. They should probably just be ignored, in which case any input directly into the "track bus" would not make it to the output. But that seems fine.

Noel, somewhat unrelated, but maybe you can give me a quick tip... I noticed Sonar Platinum is extremely sluggish under the debugger. It starts up extremely slow (a few minutes each time), and it keeps freezing up. It was never like this. Any ideas? Are there a special mode I can put Sonar into or something along those lines? I am using AD2 as a signal source, maybe it is causing this behavior?

Edit: Haha, just deleted all the empty lines. It was actually my cat that stepped on the keyboard. At 1st I thought he somehow deleted the whole post, but it just scrolled off the screen.

Me, I want it for two scenarios.  

Yes, I like to have a general level bus mix next to the instruments that are going to it.  It keeps me from having to jump to another view or screenset just to bring up the acoustic guitar tracks for example.  Or I might have three tracks of one guitar - close mic, one maybe back a bit or a different mic and a room mic.

The other is where I am parallel processing a track and blending it back in with the original.  I'll create an aux next to the snare track and then crush it, distort it or EQ it in a different way and then blend it with the original.  

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 21:12:19 (permalink)
Silk, in my case I don't know if I want any further mixing of the source tracks but I see it may be needed to accomplish the first scenario I posted.  I just want a clone of the source track that is convenient to get to and doesn't require twice the editing (if it is needed) that cloning the track does.

My music.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 21:14:11 (permalink)
I think it would be great. With the sophisticated software we have I don't think there's a reason to stick with the hardware mixer model where buses and inputs have fixed locations. The flexibility of being able to have everything in a folder would be great. Also in console view it would be great to see the "bus" next to the tracks

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 22:11:27 (permalink)
I can see the logic of using a layout like a hardware mixer, it's nothing if not intuitive, but it has its downsides.

Let's say I want to add a modulating, panning delay to a guitar track. Something I do fairly often as it happens.

So I create a bus and a track send to it, put a delay on the bus and set it 100% wet, follow that with chorus/vibrato/phasing/whatever then put an autopanner after that. Sure, there are all in one plugins that can kind of do this but not with the flexibility and combination of components I want.

Add other busses to other tracks for similar purposes and that busses section starts to get rather full, with busses feeding busses as well just to complicate things.

It would make far more sense to have that bus (or whatever you want to call it) sitting next to the guitar track it applies to in a track folder.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 22:30:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bluzdog 2015/01/26 00:11:30
Wouldn't being able to output a track into another track input be the same?  Just select from the input/output pull down menus.  Then you can label the track whatever you want of course, as there are some differences between tracks and busses, as slight as they might be. (such as the PC compressors, setting wet/dry levels typically....etc)  I don't use Reaper, but I believe that feature is available ??

Then you could also easily position it anywhere in the console/track view as well.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

js516
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 23:14:55 (permalink)
What I think would be cool and useful is to have the slide out bus and master views allow any combination and maybe allow the user to add additional slide able sections. For example. I would love a slide out to contain all my individual drums tracks and buses, another for rhythm, another for vocals , etc . Then have a slide out that has all my stems and master bus. This would definatly aid in managing complex projects, especially if you can name the slide outs and have the name as a "flag" at the top, anchored to the slide bar. Maybe even a right click on the flag would present a drop down of the names where picking a name pops the slide into view. Heck, maybe even right clicking a bus and selecting "create submix console" would put all the associated tracks and busses attached to the seleted bus into its own slide out. That would make it real easy for the user to set it up.

A user configurable "hyper" submix console view, in other words. ;)

You may be able to pull this off with hidden tracks and screensets, but that would take a lot of effort to set up, and it would be difficult to manage.
post edited by js516 - 2015/01/25 23:31:55

Joe Sera

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, Corsair 32GB 1600 Ram, MOTU AVB on USB3, AMD Radeon R7-200
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 23:44:10 (permalink)
SilkTone
I've been playing around with it, basically a plugin that has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Inputs 3 and 4 then becomes available as a side-chain input for any other track. And as you mention, we can assign as many tracks as we want to those two inputs and all that is required would be a simple block memory copy of channels 3 and 4 into the 2 output buffers. So there isn't even any mixing required in the plugin (not that it is hard or would add any artifacts or use a lot of CPU). I'm wondering what should happen with inputs 1 and 2. They should probably just be ignored, in which case any input directly into the "track bus" would not make it to the output. But that seems fine.

Inputs 1 and 2 should be passed through unmodified otherwise in the default case it would silence the track it was inserted on :) If 3 and 4 are present they should be summed into 1 and 2 respectively.

Not sure why its sluggish, for you since we don't have that issue - maybe you have your symbol server set up to go to the MS servers. That will be slow since it goes out to the internet to get symbols. 

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 23:46:27 (permalink)
SilkTone
OK I think the slow debugging was due to AD2.

BTW I realized I was using the VST 2.3 SDK, which doesn't support 64-bit processing. So I downloaded the VST 3 SDK and am using that instead. It might take a bit longer as I need to get up to speed with it first. I think VST 3 supports side chaining directly so I'll need to figure out how that works.

I think there is a SC version of AGain. If not its trivial to do. I have one lying around.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/25 23:51:37 (permalink)
microapp
 My suggestion (and Mod Bod's) is simply to remove the UI limitation of buses only positioned in the bus panes. This would not add additional audio routing and overhead and involve just a UI change.

Its not quite as simple as you might imagine. Buses and tracks in the UI are vastly different entities and the UI that manages them is quite different. This is because tracks existed eon's before buses did in SONAR. Changing that logic would take a lot of re-architecture of the UI, so it would be hard to justify the cost.

Noel Borthwick
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 01:06:35 (permalink)
Hi SilkTone,
That would be fantastic. Color me super interested.

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 01:41:47 (permalink)
microapp

Its not quite as simple as you might imagine. Buses and tracks in the UI are vastly different entities and the UI that manages them is quite different. This is because tracks existed eon's before buses did in SONAR. Changing that logic would take a lot of re-architecture of the UI, so it would be hard to justify the cost.

I started to write a whole spiel about OOP but I think I will just say...
I guess we are on our own then.

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 02:02:16 (permalink)
microapp

So what about my suggestion of an additional customisable Console View.
Would that be feasible?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 05:48:12 (permalink)
If we could just create mono/stereo aux tracks in the track view and assign them to a bus. Pro Tools do it all the time. The aux stays in the track view and would be for multiple uses.
I don't want Pro Tools, but this would make it easier for everyone in Sonar.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 08:34:06 (permalink)
If we did it the concept of an aux track would be much more feasible than trying to mix buses into the track view. Buses and tracks have two different functions. Buses are for mixing/post-processing as opposed to tracks that have input data. I personally find mixing tracks and buses in the same view a schizophrenic concept. I understand the requirement to pair the UI but it seems like a huge investment for a minor gain.
Another possibility (thinking aloud) what if we had an auto track zoom mode that magnified and showed the track and its destinations when you clicked the track. Would that be helpful?

Noel Borthwick
Dave Modisette
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 09:20:29 (permalink)
If we did it the concept of an aux track would be much more feasible than trying to mix buses into the track view. Buses and tracks have two different functions. Buses are for mixing/post-processing as opposed to tracks that have input data. I personally find mixing tracks and buses in the same view a schizophrenic concept. I understand the requirement to pair the UI but it seems like a huge investment for a minor gain.
Another possibility (thinking aloud) what if we had an auto track zoom mode that magnified and showed the track and its destinations when you clicked the track. Would that be helpful?

Hmmm, that's interesting.  

If I'm understanding that correctly, you select a track, press a hotkey (or mouse to some out of the way button for our mouseketeers) and you would see the source track(s) and next to it in the console view, you would see the bus pane with all busses that the selected track(s) is/are routed to.  Of course, for the Track Pane, it would do the same and bring up the bus pane there as well.

It's better but not quite satisfying.  A bit like when I ordered iced tea in England and I got a small pot of hot tea, a tea cup and a single ice cube.  I smiled and said, "You don't get it, do you?"

BTW, I like the concept of an Aux track better and/or being able to rout a track to another track via an input selection.  In PT it's all about creating and configuring I/Os which is something that would drive the majority of SONAR users absolutely mad but once you have got your head wrapped around that concept it opens up so many possibilities for routing tracks to auxes, tracks to tracks and so on.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2015/01/26 09:27:20

My music.
Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 10:13:03 (permalink)
Hi Noel,
I wouldn't mind the concept of an aux track. Really for me the principal use case is having both mics on a multi-mic'd instrument summed into another track that lives right next to them. So, both the inside and outside mic of a kick drum (or top/bottom on a snare, or neck and bridge of an Ac.Git etc) feeding an aux that wasn't in the bus pane. The ability to freeze would be cool (see what I did there  ) but not a requirement for me. I know you can do that with buses currently, but I just like the organization of having both mics on a summed "Kick drum" track in the track pane.

In a perfect world it would work as I outline here: http://forum.cakewalk.com.indPost/3153287 but that may not be feasible.

Dean

(edited to not have an embarrassing typo in Noels name...)

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
AndreyB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 10:21:08 (permalink)
If we did it the concept of an aux track would be much more feasible than trying to mix buses into the track view. 

Noel, Aux tracks would be nice (for me, at least). Or ability to route send from one track to the input of another track. Something like that.

Can I add some use cases to the conversation? I think it's just not a lot of people actually understand why would one need such a thing. I promise to exaggerate only a tiny bit for illustration purposes (and yes, I know that bus strips can be narrowed).

1. Ok, for a start, a "simple" scenario: suppose I'm writing a metal/nu/core/etc track with heavy, low tuned guitars. I want to mix and match different cabinet impulses and maybe different amps per one guitar. Also I want to do a lot of cutting-pasting-audiosnap-grooveclip-melodyne-etc post record editing on the parts, so I want to keep one guitar part per one dedicated track, no tracks' duplicating (otherwise it will take a lot of deleting and dragging of clips up and down across the multiple tracks after each edit and I eventually will screw up something somewhere). This means I will need lots of buses. All right, so I'm routing one guitar track with an amp plugin (just the amp, no cab) on it to 3 buses with the following effects:

bus 1 has cabinet A closeup and PC eq,
bus 2 has cabinet B closeup and it's own PC eq curve (which is different from bus 1's ) and
bus 3 with cabinet A room/back mic (need I mention it's own PC eq?)

Ok, that's not so bad, it's just three more buses. But now I'm setting up a second guitar track which plays same notes but with a different amp. I'm routing it to these 3 buses and after I listen I want it to have a bit (or maybe more than a bit) different sound. All right, I reroute "guitar track 2" to 3 new buses. Now I have my guitar doubletrack set up... Now, this monstrousity needs to be routed into bus 4 which is called "GuitarsDbl 1" and has a multiband comp (to smash those 160-200hz peaks) on it. At this point my project has 7 buses dedicated to guitars. I can live with that, but wait.

Now comes the second double track - I want that heavy and dark quadruple sound. I don't need that much of a cabinet choice for the second double track, so I create two buses per guitar track:
bus 8 has cabinet C off axis on it and
bus 9 has cabinet C room.

I add buses 10 and 11 for guitar track 4 and route all four buses to "GuitarsDbl 2" and put another multiband on it.
Now my project has... wait... 12 buses dedicated to guitars: six buses are routed to "GuitarsDbl 1" and four buses are routed to "GuitarsDbl 2".
Now I need to set up the bass track, and I need at least a DI and an Amped signal flow in parallel... Well, you're getting the idea. And keep in mind that all that needs to go into a final "Bass Sum" bus.
So: now my project has 4 guitar tracks, 1 bass track, 1 instrument track for drums - that makes it 6 tracks.
And 16 buses.

2. Now for a more complicated scenario. So, suppose I am writing this electronic idm piece with lots of ducking. I'm experimenting. I've come across a cool effect - multiband ducking (by the way, try it, you'll love it). It takes 3 buses per each melodic instrument. I've got, say, 12 instruments not counting the drums (which go into sidechain input). I need... oh god. 36 new buses. And these buses go to the bus pane (duh!) and clutter there everything even in narrow strip mode. Compare this to 36 new tracks which, by the way, can go into a folder. Much nicer, eh?

3. Now even more complicated scenario. I'm experimenting with multi-band exciting mixed with multi-band transient processing. I've got 4 vocal tracks and 3 acoustic guitar tracks. I want a 5-band processing per each track. I cannot route 2 or more tracks into one "fx processor" because there is a distortion (for the exciter part) in the signal chain. This results in 7 tracks and 35 buses (plus additional 2 buses for grouping all that and a master bus).

Now, I personally have almost no problem with using a Sonitus Gate in a "listen" mode to create fake aux tracks which go into tracks pane and nicely sit in corresponding folders. Except for one thing: routing is lost with track templates. I assume it's because when track templates load, first the tracks are created, then the routing is processed and only after that the FX are loaded. And that order ruins routing: you can't route a track to an input if that input is absent at the time (and will be loaded afterwards).

Sorry for the long read. I really wish I could explain that in a more condensed manner.
AndreyB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 10:33:26 (permalink)
SilkTone
 So my question is whether it would be useful to have a dedicated plugin that can be inserted in a track FX bin, which would then become the side-chain inputs for any other track.

Silktone, I would definitely love to have such a plugin. Can I add a tiny feature request? It would be cool if it would be 4 dll's with 4 different names, something like "Sidechain A.dll", "Sidechain B.dll" and so on. Just for easying up the routing process. I hope it doesn't take much extra work, you'd just need to generate different VST ID's for each dll if I'm correct. And those who don't need this can always delete extra dll's from plugins folder.
microapp
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 10:42:37 (permalink)

I guess there would be no point in requesting MIDI buses then.
What would that be... a paranoid concept ?

Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
SilkTone
Re: Would a "Sidechain Mixer" plugin be useful to anyone? 2015/01/26 12:52:28 (permalink)
AndreyB
SilkTone
 So my question is whether it would be useful to have a dedicated plugin that can be inserted in a track FX bin, which would then become the side-chain inputs for any other track.

Silktone, I would definitely love to have such a plugin. Can I add a tiny feature request? It would be cool if it would be 4 dll's with 4 different names, something like "Sidechain A.dll", "Sidechain B.dll" and so on. Just for easying up the routing process. I hope it doesn't take much extra work, you'd just need to generate different VST ID's for each dll if I'm correct. And those who don't need this can always delete extra dll's from plugins folder.

Andrey, I don't believe that should be necessary. Look at this screenshot of the context menu when selecting the output destination of a track. The name of the "track bus" shows up in the context menu:

EDIT: Can't get the picture to show up here, so here is a direct link to the screenshot.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1