Helpful ReplyReally incredible that we still can't record a soft synth's output in real time

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:33:56 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Anderton
I still question the wisdom of spending time solving a problem for which solutions already exist.

Ableton?

2 patch cords = $4.99
Ableton Live Standard = $499

I'd think with all the interest in Eurorack modulars, hardcore synth folks wouldn't find the concept of using two patch cords so alien 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a soft synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:40:05 (permalink)
dcumpian
jih64
Really ? perhaps it will come one day ?

It's a good thing that you can, because recording and editing midi there is awful. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like, but midi is a huge weakness for those of us who need use it.

Regards,
Dan

Yes, so they say, I have never really had a problem with it, for what I do I'm quite comfortably at home with either.
Adq
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:40:40 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
There is nothing special or particularly clever about feedback detection :)
All it requires is checking a circuit to see if it loops back on itself. SONAR does feedback detection in the output routing UI today - you cannot route an output to a bus or sidechain input if that would result in feedback.

Why avoid feedback loop? It is not a bug, it is a feature. In video i posted before it is used to create complicated delay effect. There nothing wrong with doing feedback loops, and it can be done with virtual audio interface inputs/outputs (but with sizable latency). If it would be possible in Sonar, it could be implemented in even more clever way. Additionally to the option to allow or not feedback loops, we could have option to switch audio engine off, if volume in loop is greater -10db, or 0 db, or +10db, as user would set.
Gone!!
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:40:52 (permalink)
2:43AM
Do any other DAW's out there allow a VST synth to be recorded in real-time?

REAPER
Gone!!
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:48:13 (permalink)
Anderton

2 patch cords = $4.99

I'd think with all the interest in Eurorack modulars, hardcore synth folks wouldn't find the concept of using two patch cords so alien 

Or REAPER for $60, or if you are happy to be a little bereft of morals, you can download the demo which is the full product with no restrictions, which even after the 'demo period'  expires will continue to function with no restrictions for ever and a day.
Adq
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 01:49:59 (permalink)
Anderton
I'd much rather see development effort spent on functions that SONAR actually doesn't do, like a "drum machine mode" for the PRV.

It would be nice, do you have some inside information if it is considered?
But I have the opposite view, I'd prefer existing functions to be polished, than new functions to be added in marketing goals, and they also never be working perfect, because of more new features should take development time. I'd like to see "drum machine mode" for the PRV but 1000% more I'd like to see existing Drum Pane in PRV working flawless.
Anderton
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 02:25:54 (permalink)
jih64
Anderton

2 patch cords = $4.99

Or REAPER for $60, or if you are happy to be a little bereft of morals, you can download the demo which is the full product with no restrictions, which even after the 'demo period'  expires will continue to function with no restrictions for ever and a day.

I just don't get the logic. The original question, in case it's been forgotten by now, is about (supposedly) not being able to do real-time recording of an instrument in SONAR. But unless you have only a 2x2 interface, which seems inadequate for most professional applications anyway, you can do it with two patch cords. Why would you need to spend $60, leave the SONAR environment (remember the original question),  record a track, then bring it back into SONAR? Yeah, I was brought up with modular synths and patch bays so patch cords aren't an alien concept to me, but still...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Gone!!
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 02:32:40 (permalink)
The logic being that $60 was far cheaper than the $499 listed for Ableton, that is all,
Anderton
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 02:33:56 (permalink)
Adq
Anderton
I'd much rather see development effort spent on functions that SONAR actually doesn't do, like a "drum machine mode" for the PRV.

It would be nice, do you have some inside information if it is considered?

No, it's just something I'd like to see.

But I have the opposite view, I'd prefer existing functions to be polished, than new functions to be added in marketing goals, and they also never be working perfect, because of more new features should take development time. I'd like to see "drum machine mode" for the PRV but 1000% more I'd like to see existing Drum Pane in PRV working flawless.

I wasn't saying what you wanted, I was saying what I wanted. As I rarely use the drum pane or drum maps, I'd 1000% more like to see a drum machine mode for the PRV. But realistically, what you're asking for will likely be addressed first, as more people are asking for that than a drum machine mode that allows editing while overdubbing.

Adq
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 02:50:40 (permalink)
Anderton
But unless you have only a 2x2 interface, which seems inadequate for most professional applications anyway, you can do it with two patch cords. Why would you need to spend $60, leave the SONAR environment (remember the original question),  record a track, then bring it back into SONAR? Yeah, I was brought up with modular synths and patch bays so patch cords aren't an alien concept to me, but still...

Very few people will do it, because it is too complicated, and it is a bad way to do that simple task, of course they will bounce instead.
I think they mean that if you need it very much you will not use Sonar at all, but use Reaper instead.
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 02:52:57 (permalink)

Pro Tools.  Cubase.   I've used Cubase for this very thing - it works smoothly, easily, totally in sync.   Dead Easy & flawlessly perfect.     

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud
Adq
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 03:00:46 (permalink)
Anderton
I wasn't saying what you wanted, I was saying what I wanted. As I rarely use the drum pane or drum maps, I'd 1000% more like to see a drum machine mode for the PRV.

There is the same situation, there is a bunch of plug-ins that can do drum machine, so why add something that can be done already?
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 05:04:02 (permalink)
noel's answer is the most informative, actually going some way to explaining why sonar doesn't do this, rather than offering workarounds and questioning why a user might want to do it
thanks noel :)

just a sec

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 07:09:48 (permalink)
pwalpwal
noel's answer is the most informative, actually going some way to explaining why sonar doesn't do this, rather than offering workarounds and questioning why a user might want to do it

I guess that was the goal of his answer...

My translation (I am Russian...) of one German joke I have seen on the door next office:
"Windows 32bit claims it can everything. After drinking 32 beers, I also normally start claiming I can do everything!"

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 08:33:00 (permalink)
There are always alternatives in the toolbox. I'd rather be using Sonar than another DAW though. Physical cable loopbacks.... frack that... give me a hovercar instead...

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Anderton
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 10:10:20 (permalink)
pwalpwal

Agreed about Noel's answer, but IMHO the other elements further the discussion. It's not necessarily obvious why this capability is needed, and it took several posts to establish that it's important only if a) the synth has parameters that aren't recordable as MIDI data, b) these parameters involve randomization, c) the person is playing a part and evaluating it simultaneously, and d) it is not acceptable to try different randomizations of parameters and then decide if you like one version more than another. That's a fairly specific set of circumstances, and it's understandable why people couldn't relate if it's not a part of their workflow.

As to workarounds, I think one of the best functions of a forum is to provide solutions. Using two patch cords and the external insert plug-in provides a solution that addresses a-d above. Of course, it's not as elegant as being able to hit a record button for the instrument track; that's obvious. But it's not necessarily elegant to switch to another program solely to meet the a-d conditions above. With a recent thread asking whether people have forgotten about the external insert option, it seemed worth underscoring. 

I don't think using two patch cords is complicated, but I play guitar  . Figuring out how to run the AC adapters to the effects...now that's complicated.

Adq
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 10:25:07 (permalink)
I think one of the reasons why people continue raising that not most important question is that they could be frustrated by knowing that there is a feature, that is implemented in any other DAW, but not in Sonar. It has psychological aspect, that should not be underestimated. Every DAW has it, Sonar hasn't => Sonar is worse than other DAWs; I use Sonar => I am worse than others. It sounds ridicules, but...
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 11:15:55 (permalink)
That is why the hovercar needs to be released as soon as possible.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Anderton
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 12:54:54 (permalink)
Adq
I think one of the reasons why people continue raising that not most important question is that they could be frustrated by knowing that there is a feature, that is implemented in any other DAW, but not in Sonar. It has psychological aspect, that should not be underestimated. Every DAW has it, Sonar hasn't => Sonar is worse than other DAWs; I use Sonar => I am worse than others. It sounds ridicules, but...

Yes, but you can play that game with any DAW. There are so many things SONAR does that other DAWs don't do...I just received an email from a manufacturer that has been creating templates for various DAWs for an upcoming product, and he praised SONAR for having a proper NRPN implementation, the ability to rename CC lists for specific instruments, and various other features that in his viewpoint as a developer were done so much better than other DAWs. 

But really, at the end of the day all that matters is the emotional impact on the listener of the music you create with your DAW of choice. If people see DAWs solely as a collection of features, IMHO they're missing the point.

stephenri
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 13:36:06 (permalink)
I did that so many times recording audio the lIve in beatscape. But there are Two things required the audio card and type of synth plugin you are using. Limits it by turning off rec button. Emu 1212m had that function working great but not line 6 ux2 interface for example. This is in sonar pro x2
And ps beatscape recorded both audio wave and the performance midi triggers same time.
post edited by stephenri - 2015/07/08 13:54:20
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 13:54:29 (permalink)
jih64

REAPER

I'm sorry. This is getting a little silly. Reaper is an excellent tool but come on, man. You're on the Sonar forum. We are all aware it exists and many of us have tried it and even have it installed.

Personally I find Reaper useful in many ways but ONLY in the stuff that is lacking in my DAW of choice... Sonar. It is not, to me, a particularly creativity inducive environment like Sonar is. It is also severely lacking in all the extra creative tools (like the massive instrument and effects suite Sonar has).

Reaper is an excellent DAW (as in a recording, editing and perhaps mixing platform if you already have purchased all the necessary tools to compliment it) but its main competitors, as far as form and function are the PTs and Cubase's of the world. Not Sonar. Sonar is an animal all on its own and that's why it has such a rabid (if not maybe smallish) fanbase.

I say to you, in all respect, Cakewalk Sonar is not the demon you should be attempting to slay. If anything Sonar compliments Reaper (and vice versa).

It's a free forum and all that but really this persistence of yours to try and convince everyone that Reaper is a better solution to Sonar is misguided at best.

BTW... I was pleasantly surprised to learn that almost ALL of the tools I have acquired over the past few years work in Reaper (I thought they were locked). Despite that the Sonar environment, to me, is much prefarable to the Reaper environment. I would use Reaper for simple and reliable tracking on under powered systems and occasionally to access some of the features Sonar may not provide. Otherwise I will run back to the loving arms of Sonar every time.

And I used to use freaking Nuendo... supposedly creme de la creme when it comes to this stuff.

Peace, love, unity and high fibre granola.
PilotGav
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 14:01:02 (permalink)
I have been missing this capability for years. I'm not going to bother going into WHY it's important to me as it seems that most posts in the thread are all about "It's not important to me so it shouldn't be important to you".

The bottom line to me is that it's a basic function that should be in Sonar. If I want to capture a performance which has random variables and therefore has to be "recorded" to get the TAKE I want... I don't think that's asking much from a DAW.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 14:08:45 (permalink)
Anderton
But really, at the end of the day all that matters is the emotional impact on the listener of the music you create with your DAW of choice. If people see DAWs solely as a collection of features, IMHO they're missing the point.

On the basis of this Cakewalk should supply a fat one at least once a month with subscriptions..
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/07/08 14:16:00

azslow3
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 14:57:10 (permalink)
Just to mention... Randomness and reproducibility are 2 different properties in the pure digital world.
In science, random generators which are not able to reproduce random sequence as many times as you want are absolutely useless. I understand that in music world that is not a show stopper, but if some software VSTi pretend to be random but is not able to reproduce exactly the same sound based on exactly the same input plus remembered seed, that is significant design mistake in the VSTi. Taking that into account, you are just requesting support of buggy (or at least bad designed) plug-ins
Edit: my bad, it looks like a general problem.
post edited by azslow3 - 2015/07/08 17:24:59

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
PilotGav
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 14:59:54 (permalink)
Where does that leave Random Sample Hold then?
azslow3
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 15:06:39 (permalink)
PilotGav
Where does that leave Random Sample Hold then?

Can you give me a link to this VSTi?

Gone!!
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 15:12:24 (permalink)
Beepster
jih64

REAPER

I'm sorry. This is getting a little silly. Reaper is an excellent tool but come on, man. You're on the Sonar forum. We are all aware it exists and many of us have tried it and even have it installed.

Personally I find Reaper useful in many ways but ONLY in the stuff that is lacking in my DAW of choice... Sonar. It is not, to me, a particularly creativity inducive environment like Sonar is. It is also severely lacking in all the extra creative tools (like the massive instrument and effects suite Sonar has).

Reaper is an excellent DAW (as in a recording, editing and perhaps mixing platform if you already have purchased all the necessary tools to compliment it) but its main competitors, as far as form and function are the PTs and Cubase's of the world. Not Sonar. Sonar is an animal all on its own and that's why it has such a rabid (if not maybe smallish) fanbase.

I say to you, in all respect, Cakewalk Sonar is not the demon you should be attempting to slay. If anything Sonar compliments Reaper (and vice versa).

It's a free forum and all that but really this persistence of yours to try and convince everyone that Reaper is a better solution to Sonar is misguided at best.

BTW... I was pleasantly surprised to learn that almost ALL of the tools I have acquired over the past few years work in Reaper (I thought they were locked). Despite that the Sonar environment, to me, is much prefarable to the Reaper environment. I would use Reaper for simple and reliable tracking on under powered systems and occasionally to access some of the features Sonar may not provide. Otherwise I will run back to the loving arms of Sonar every time.

And I used to use freaking Nuendo... supposedly creme de la creme when it comes to this stuff.

Peace, love, unity and high fibre granola.

No 1, I'll say what I like where and when I like, I am a Sonar user as well, and I am just pointing out the fact, you don't like it . . . tough. Obviously some aren't aware it exists, or that it has the function. I'm not attempting to slay anything, so don't try putting words in my mouth. Thank you
post edited by jih64 - 2015/07/08 15:21:55
Beepster
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 15:14:58 (permalink)
The orignal sentiment of the thread is sound and falls in line with the broader request of being able, if one desired, to record the output of one track into another (or simply output to another track for whatever reason like perhaps some kind of alt monitoring scheme).

This is indeed a limitation of Sonar that could and should be corrected.

As far as synth randomization... sure, anti machine gun modes, humanize functions and fancier things than I'm aware of make the idea of wanting to capture specific "virtual" performances totally reasonable. Particularly in a live recording situation where perhaps the human artist is playing along with and to the randomized VST performance. If you record the human but not the synth then you may lose something when you bounce/freeze/export the synth after the fact hoping the human performance syncs up in the same way.

The virtual performer certainly isn't going to play along with the human.

Yes physical wiring would work but when analog ports are limited (especially if you want to capture a multi out synth... not just a stereo out) it is not always feasible.

Don't mistake my last post as dismissing the validity of these types of requests. It was about the seemingly persistent promotion of another DAW on this forum by one specific user. Not sure what that is all about. Just been seeing a lot of it.
Beepster
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 15:23:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2015/07/09 10:50:18
jih64
No 1, I'll say what I like where and when I like, I am a Sonar user as well, and I am just pointing out the fact, you don't like it tough. and obviously some aren't aware it exists, or that it has the function. I'm not attempting to slay anything, so don't try putting words in my mouth. Thank you

I was not putting words in your mouth and I will also say what I like. You have been beating this drum for a while now and it seems to be your (usually one phrase) answer to everything. What I am saying is it is getting excessive and somewhat innapropriate as well as misleading.

If you are indeed a Sonar fan then perhaps you should discuss Sonar every now and again and provide Sonar based solutions to Sonar based problems instead of just typing "REAPER" at every opportunity.

I have no problem with you liking Reaper. I like it as well. I have no problem with you suggesting it as a solution for things that Sonar does not do (I have done the same). Just remember these are the SONAR forums based around SONAR discussions. Maybe try to suggest SONAR based solutions before telling people to switch to Reaper.

And if YOU have a problem with that then we have nothing else to discuss and I will bid you good day.

Peace.
Adq
Re: Really incredible that we still can't record a synth's output in real time 2015/07/08 15:30:25 (permalink)
azslow3
Can you give me a link to this VSTi?

You could start with z3ta+.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1