Helpful ReplyGibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers from Customer Support!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
2017/11/29 23:31:30 (permalink)

Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers from Customer Support!

See here for the very latest news: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000087/Gibson-Cakewalk-Announcement-FAQ

However, I'd like to know about bug fixes because developing and bugs are different issues.  For those of us who have an active subscription, be it the lifetime updates deal or monthly, surely we're entitled to get identified bugs and problems which arise from Windows updates resolved?
post edited by RickJP909 - 2017/11/30 23:43:21

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
pfossi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 00:20:11 (permalink)
And the FAQ does not address or acknowledge the existence of lifetime prepaid customers. Also, note that any reference to the website starts with, “at this Time . . .”

Intel I-7 4790 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 240, Windows 10 home 64, 8 Gig Ram, C:/ 2 T HD, Music Storage 1 T HD, Sonar Platinum lifetime, Behringer Xenyx 1204 UFX Mixer interface
epytryga
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 804
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 00:20:47 (permalink)
I should think that would be unlikely, as all of the Cakewalk employees are now unemployeed

Kind Regards:
Eric

Music samples at:
https://soundcloud.com/the_oxford_circus

Gear:
Windows 10, 16Gb RAM, Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, Propellerhead Balance ASIO

AMD II X6 1075T PROCESSOR 3.0GHZ/8GB RAM/PROPELLERHEAD BALANCE ASIO DRIVERS.
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 00:23:51 (permalink)
RickJP909
" surely we're entitled "

Yea, sure you are.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

mcdoma2000
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 02:56:25 (permalink)
They didn't say anything about the ability to re-install and reactivate! Among the MOST important things we need to know, and they didn't even mention it.

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 03:15:54 (permalink)
yea, The "Gibson announcement" Was just advertisement for the rest of their crap!
including "Pro Audio Gear" 
Maybe they are going to use Tascam and Sonar to build a ProTool's like interface system.
If they think that they can leave the lifetime members in the dust.... NO WAY!
They may Try..... Let them try! Cakewalk is still Gibson at the end of the day!
The lifetime deal is a legal contract with Gibson!  
any jury WILL agree with US!
EDIT: and if they sell the DAW... they have to include our lifetime contracts with the deal!
And we can sue Gibson for the sales profits as well if they don't! 
Yea, I'm in a mood... lol

peace!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 03:26:59 (permalink)
At the bottom of the announcement, you're given two choices as to whether the article was useful....yes or no.
I think there should be more choices, such as "somewhat" or "mostly", with room for comments....kind of what we're doing here in this thread.

I found the article "somewhat" useful, but as was pointed out, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 03:41:43 (permalink)
click "no" and you can leave a response

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 03:54:29 (permalink)
Stop clicking no. You're leaving too many responses!

Bug fixes are development, so no there will be no more bug fixes or anything else.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 04:11:11 (permalink)
RickJP909
See here for the very latest news: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000087/Gibson-Cakewalk-Announcement-FAQ

However, I'd like to know about bug fixes because developing and bugs are different issues.  For those of us who have an active subscription, be it the lifetime updates deal or monthly, surely we're entitled to get identified bugs and problems which arise from Windows updates resolved?

There are very few answers in that announcement.
The only one I really see is that if you are a monthly customer - Congrats! You don't have to make any more payments to 'keep' your Sonar!
Other than that what I see is - no updates, no support (except from forum users) and no refunds.
But in light of the current situation that's not really a surprise.

In regards to "surely we're entitled to get identified bugs and problems which arise from Windows updates resolved?"
You are entitled to your opinion but legally that's about it.  No software company guarantees that their software is bug free or that it will remain bug free and no court will make them live up to such a standard - though you are welcome to feed as many lawyers as you desire in the attempt to change that.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 04:45:01 (permalink)
What happens to my account?At this time, our servers and website will remain active. You will be able to utilize your software without interruption, and will have access to your account and products as normal
So don't panic, but don't take it for granted that it will permanently stay available.
That they aren't turning off the lights may indicate that they're trying to keep their options open or are trying to sell assets. I have no idea, I am not going to speculate further and I am leaving this thread to obsess about other things.

Best wishes to all!

Peace out
...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
tonydude
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 08:22:04 (permalink)
I've rated the article as not helpful.

I've given feedback that the article does not provide clarity on how long the servers will be available or how will users be able to re-install if the authorisation server is taken offline. 

Those are important questions which are not being answered.
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 08:28:02 (permalink)
True Tonydude.
what happens when the server goes down? 

Authorisation goes songs goes. Does Sonar owe us an explanation?

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
HARDDRlVER
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 14:14:19 (permalink)
dappa1
True Tonydude.
what happens when the server goes down? 

Authorisation goes songs goes. Does Sonar owe us an explanation?

You think they owe us 'anything'...
That's an easy answer. But who knows what they're doing.
'At this time'...the servers are still up.
But that was when they stated 'at this time'...what...Wednesday? Even Thursday is not 'this time'. That was 'already' 'then'...thus is now.
They've made a few things absolutely clear. No refunds...even for those who had their monthly fees stolen from them since abounding shut down. Surprised? No me. Not now. After what they've done, nothing will surprise me.
I'm not going to 'guess' at what they might be doing. I've heard 'guessing' since day one.
Know one knows but them. So if you're still gonna cross your fingers and HOPE, go right ahead. Their track record should be enough of a red flag that you're not gonna see squat from Gibson.
If I were to make any guess as to what they're up to, they're just sweeping the floors, handing out the last of the paychecks and wrapping it up.
They know...Cakewalk 'higher-ups' who still may be on their way out, must surely have brought the authorization/reinstall issue to Gibson's attention. Even faithfu-to-us cakewalk employees must've said something before they walked out the door. They and the authorization notion HAD to have been flatly ignored, period. The subject being withheld from the recent post speaks volumes...to me, anyway.
So why not just stop all the 'I bet they're' and all that.
The writing on the wall is clear.
We're small potatoes to them. Theyll pull the whole plug eventually, and soon, I have no doubt.
They pulled a dirty trick with the lifetime update, we all know that...but they have to assume we're the little guy and have no collective power, so they have no interest in our issues. Keeping the servers up is only costing them more money every day, with no money coming in to even cover the electric bill for the servers.
They have what they feel are bigger issues...their creditors. There's a real face on the creditors that they can't simply close the door on, compared to us. We could go banging on the door and they have no obligation to even look out the window at us. So long as we just kick and cry, they can turn a deaf ear to that.
There's a 100% chance they'll have to face the creditors. The chance of a class action suit...(based on (how many) lifetime members who were duped)...that chance is so small...why bother with us... (in their eyes).
I'd like to see the Vegas odds on the Sonar servers staying up for '×' days...or that Gibson will have a heart and offer us at least an authorization code.
As I mentioned before...to do ANYTHING for the cakewalk customer will only cost them more money, when there's none coming in to support the cause.

Personally, I would be willing to pay 'something' to cover the cost for them to get someone to work that out. IF their were enough offerings, and IF someone their would listen. ..they might understand that we actually want to be the ones paying for THAT ONE SERVICE. Heck, with enough of us offering up $20 bucks or so, I'm sure it would amount to thousands on their end...just to get someone to write us a code.

OR... aren't their now many ex-employees who could do that on their own? Yeah, piracy...I know...but look at it this way...
If THAT were to happen...just the off-handed hacking of the code so we got what we felt was rightfully ours ..something we paid for in good faith...AND IF Gibson came after us because of it...then they'd be giving us our day in court. THAT is where our voices could be heard. We're not trying to download a movie we have no intention of paying for. We are the ones who have been on the up and up. Our funds have been there for the taking...with our blessing, all along...we paid faithfully. Cutting into the code could/might be the only way we could have our day in court.
Hey, we don't want to do it...we're begging for a simbelance of severance equality...a smidgen of acknowledgement for the years many of you have invested into this company and it was YOU who kept it alive.

Just my two synths
Joni
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 17:50:37 (permalink)
I tried that link and get a blank page.  

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
ActionOxford
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 17:57:53 (permalink)
The announcement is a non announcement. It doesn't say anything really. They said that the servers will remain online "for now." But that's a nothing statement. What is "for now?" Using Sonar from this point on is a faustian bargain. Or, for the Star Wars fan, Gibson is saying, "I have altered the deal pray I do not alter it further." 
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 18:05:13 (permalink)
Looks like all my Les Pauls will be Chibsons from now on.... Ho hum.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 18:52:21 (permalink)
Here is a few things that are known - 

If you have payments on your lifetime upgrade Cake has said you will get an install key, just as a fully paid customer.  You can complain, but you are actually getting a better deal than someone who picked up the lifetime over a year ago.  You paid less for the same software.

Cakewalk has said that once the servers go down, every owner will get an installation key.

When they give the key to us, that means Cakewalk's code is dead.  The only reason to give us the key is legal reasons and that they have no hope of making money off the SONAR code.  Otherwise they'd let the new code owner deal with us.  I don't know the first thing about coding, but from what I've gathered it is old, and Cakewalk continued to add to the code, and add and add, introducing more bugs and conflicts w/ every improvement, which they then went back and tried to fix.  The old Cake refused to write a completely new code from bottom up.  I've heard that P5 took one guy a year to write, yet, despite Noel's jumping on me, I still think it would have been cleaner to start from P5 and start adding to that.  I don't know if he is correct, but ...

Someone could still buy the name "CAKEWALK."  If we get the install key, they should write a completely new program, and simply use some of the ProChannel modules and synths.  And charge us accordingly.

There is no hope in a lawsuit, even in litigious America.  What does "lifetime" mean?  In prison, a few years.  In music, less, tho sometimes more.  See Fruity Loops' lifetime update.  If you thought Cakewalk meant your lifetime, you need to think more carefully in the future with any business dealings.  I've had people lie to my face, and this ain't it.  Some bad business decisions in a declining market isn't evil, it is life 

That being said, if I bought guitars, I wouldn't buy a new Gibson.  Ever.  Just as I won't buy a Chevy (and I use to be a chevy man) because of their $18B government bailout they never paid back.  Use your economic clout, however big or small.  It makes one feel good but don't think it will change much.  I don't expect the Dallas Mavericks to play hard once I stop recording the game (and commercials!) when they start picking their noses and strolling up and down the court.  When they were winning 50 games a year, sure I'd watch them goof off and lose.  They could make it up in the playoffs. Now - they ain't doing nothing for me or themselves if they don't play hard.  But it makes me feel better that I'm not enabling their losing behavior.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 20:00:41 (permalink)
AT
 If you thought Cakewalk meant your lifetime, you need to think more carefully in the future with any business dealings.  I've had people lie to my face, and this ain't it.  Some bad business decisions in a declining market isn't evil, it is life 
I did not by any stretch believe lifetime updates meant my lifetime. However because the company in question already sold yearly update subscriptions, I did have the expectation that lifetime updates would be longer than a year. Foolish? Apparently so. Like I said earlier, it has told me all I need to know about buying anything Gibson related in the future. So much so that when the time comes, I will likely happily buy pirate products that infringe on their copyrights and service marks.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 20:15:35 (permalink)
I'd use the term "might buy" rather than "will". 😊

Edited: I see you used the word "likely". You're ahead of the game.....

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 20:59:29 (permalink)
sorry, lifetime updates is kinda straw man argument.  And I don't think anybody is foolish for betting on Cakewalk.  Even if the "lifetime" was Cakewalk itself, not SONAR's.

From what scraps are out there, it becomes clear that Cakewalk hasn't been making money.  Roland wouldn't have sold it otherwise.  Gibson stepped in and Cake continued to lose money.  And the lifetime updates money was to go into development and re-make SONAR.  And we all knew Fruity Loops went for years with updates.  With more emphasis on vst effects and ios things to help drive the market share onto the backbone of SONAR the DAW.  And, they ran out of money ...  And guess what, Daddy Gibson was out of credit.  Everybody bet, including customers, and we all lost.  There are people that still hate Gibson for killing Opcode and, like I said, I'd never buy a guitar from them.
RickJP909
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 21:37:39 (permalink)
TheSteven

In regards to "surely we're entitled to get identified bugs and problems which arise from Windows updates resolved?"
You are entitled to your opinion but legally that's about it.  No software company guarantees that their software is bug free or that it will remain bug free and no court will make them live up to such a standard - though you are welcome to feed as many lawyers as you desire in the attempt to change that.

With respect, (and you are also entitled to your opinion which I disagree with on the following basis), I never said I expected Sonar to be bug free BUT, if there are known bugs which have been identified by an ID, they're officially classed as faults and if a fault is preventing you from performing the tasks which you bought it for, that becomes a legal issue of consumer rights!

In the EU that's classed as goods which are not fit for the purpose to which they're intended for and possibly goods which are not of merchantable quality.  Now this issue is especially important when you consider the contract in to which some of us entered with Cakewalk by buying into the lifetime updates.  If it proves to be something which wasn't sustainable then this could be classed as deception.  In the UK, this is exactly why the government held to account the banks and they've all been successfully prosecuted and have had to pay out to millions of people because they were mis-sold products.

I don't see this as any different.  However, I'm a reasonable guy and I can accept if somewhat difficult, that maybe it wasn't profitable to keep the company going so development has stopped.  However I believe that any customers from the point of the lifetime updates are at least owed for bugs which are known to cause major functional issues and Windows updates which could stop the software functioning, a right to have these fixed on the basis of the contract to which they entered.

Otherwise, I'd have just paid a one-off fee for an upgrade from X2a to Platinum and not entered into a lifetime agreement because it cost me more!

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
RickJP909
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 21:49:31 (permalink)
TheSteven
What happens to my account?At this time, our servers and website will remain active. You will be able to utilize your software without interruption, and will have access to your account and products as normal
So don't panic, but don't take it for granted that it will permanently stay available.
That they aren't turning off the lights may indicate that they're trying to keep their options open or are trying to sell assets. I have no idea, I am not going to speculate further and I am leaving this thread to obsess about other things.

Best wishes to all!

Peace out
...Steven

Steven, on this I do agree with you because something seems afoot!  I wonder if maybe Gibson is only suspending operations for now to maybe realign the company in the near future and then re-start development on a new line of software but without the ties of not having enough revenue, ie, customers with the lifetime updates?

Only time will tell but I do feel that those who bought into the lifetime updates should be released from the requirement of online activation if the current products have really reached their end.

Mad_Musicologist
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 22:25:14 (permalink)
I had asked them to refund my purchase for rolling updates Sep. 2018 - 2019 which I had done in advance.
Purchase order date Oct. 29th, 2017. Let's see what happens. 
GregRband
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:03:36 (permalink)
RickJP909

I got a few BIG things out of article!!!
****Monthly subscribers like me will have pmts stopped, yet retain products we have in acct!!!****
This is huge to me personally as a Sonar Pro version owner. I’m very sad and frustrated to see Cakewalk shut down, but do appreciate the gesture of fairness within chaos.
Well, you have to give some credit to Gibson for releasing a statement in the middle of rapid fire complaints and chaos.
post edited by GregRband - 2017/11/30 23:51:11
Customer Support [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:19:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/11/30 23:23:29
Hey all,

Let me help try to dispel some of the myths that seem to be making the rounds in this thread. I'm also being a bit candid here, and it probably won't be the stock response you'd expect at this point.

First, while we didn't specifically mention install/reinstall in the FAQ, we've mentioned there, and also now on our home page, that our servers and website will remain active, and there will be no changes to how you can access your products. I know the feeling you get when you read "at this time" or "as of now", etc, but that's the best way we can be open and honest with you. We have no control over what happens to us next, but we were told that moving forward, servers will remain up. There's currently no indicator that this will change, what day that could change, etc, so all we can say is what we know. As strange as this may sound, it's sort of business as usual for now. Uninstall, reinstall, and authorize as little or as often as you need. If it makes you more comfortable, get the downloadable installers and put them on a hard drive, another machine, etc. If one day someone decides to shut everything down, we'll have a plan in place for you to authorize without the server.

The less fun thing for me to bring up is all the mentions of bug fixes. Unfortunately, this is another "at this time" situation. Gibson has in fact ceased operation and development of Cakewalk products. Bug fixes are definitely part of what the development team works on, and without a development team... well... you know the rest. The few of us here have been working on plans A, B, and C for different scenarios. If we get sold, shut down entirely, or somehow repurposed, we're doing our best to ensure we have a plan in place for our users. Don't forget, we're still SONAR users too, and we still want it to exist as much as anybody else.

Though I may get some flack for this, I'll even mention Lifetime Updates. In short, it looks good on paper. If Gibson didn't shut down Cakewalk, it'd still be something we could honor. Of course, the term "Lifetime" should always be met with the question of "what lifetime?". During the promotion, we said "even if we change SONAR Platinum to SONAR ___, you'll still get updates" and believe it or not, we meant it. I personally would have looked with caution, but if the plan was for updates to be enhancements and bug fixes, and then charge for new content, instruments, and major features, the business plan now seems to make more sense. It's unfortunate that it comes off as a "too good to be true" situation, but considering annual updates were $249 on our site for just about all of 2017, I still think the price for the now dreaded LTU wasn't all that bad. I know of a certain industry standard that costs more for a single year anyway, and they definitely weren't handing out new features each month.

Now a question for you all: would it be helpful if we continued to update the FAQ when we receive new information, or to address some of your concerns? Otherwise, what do you think the best way for us to relay information would be? I'm open to doing whatever it takes to keep you all in the loop.
GregRband
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:28:14 (permalink)
Customer Support [Cakewalk]
Hey all,

Let me help try to dispel some of the myths that seem to be making the rounds in this thread. I'm also being a bit candid here, and it probably won't be the stock response you'd expect at this point.

First, while we didn't specifically mention install/reinstall in the FAQ, we've mentioned there, and also now on our home page, that our servers and website will remain active, and there will be no changes to how you can access your products. I know the feeling you get when you read "at this time" or "as of now", etc, but that's the best way we can be open and honest with you. We have no control over what happens to us next, but we were told that moving forward, servers will remain up. There's currently no indicator that this will change, what day that could change, etc, so all we can say is what we know. As strange as this may sound, it's sort of business as usual for now. Uninstall, reinstall, and authorize as little or as often as you need. If it makes you more comfortable, get the downloadable installers and put them on a hard drive, another machine, etc. If one day someone decides to shut everything down, we'll have a plan in place for you to authorize without the server.

The less fun thing for me to bring up is all the mentions of bug fixes. Unfortunately, this is another "at this time" situation. Gibson has in fact ceased operation and development of Cakewalk products. Bug fixes are definitely part of what the development team works on, and without a development team... well... you know the rest. The few of us here have been working on plans A, B, and C for different scenarios. If we get sold, shut down entirely, or somehow repurposed, we're doing our best to ensure we have a plan in place for our users. Don't forget, we're still SONAR users too, and we still want it to exist as much as anybody else.

Though I may get some flack for this, I'll even mention Lifetime Updates. In short, it looks good on paper. If Gibson didn't shut down Cakewalk, it'd still be something we could honor. Of course, the term "Lifetime" should always be met with the question of "what lifetime?". During the promotion, we said "even if we change SONAR Platinum to SONAR ___, you'll still get updates" and believe it or not, we meant it. I personally would have looked with caution, but if the plan was for updates to be enhancements and bug fixes, and then charge for new content, instruments, and major features, the business plan now seems to make more sense. It's unfortunate that it comes off as a "too good to be true" situation, but considering annual updates were $249 on our site for just about all of 2017, I still think the price for the now dreaded LTU wasn't all that bad. I know of a certain industry standard that costs more for a single year anyway, and they definitely weren't handing out new features each month.

Now a question for you all: would it be helpful if we continued to update the FAQ when we receive new information, or to address some of your concerns? Otherwise, what do you think the best way for us to relay information would be? I'm open to doing whatever it takes to keep you all in the loop.

Didn’t mean to make assumptions about the “for now” comment. You are right, of course that is reality speak as no one can know when it may change. I truly respect and appreciate this post and open share as it shows the “other side of things” well. Hats off to you and my “been thru it before”understanding of what it’s like to be directly involved with such matters of ownership, sellouts, business and staff changes, etc....
I will gladly edit or delete the comment about the servers above if want me to.
Cheers, hang in there, and keep truckin!
RickJP909
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:36:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/11/30 23:37:30
Hi there and as the Op who started this thread and as a longtime user (since 2004) I'd like to say thank you so much for answering the questions in this thread and being so open and candid.

I'm sure most on here will really appreciate it.  I'd also like to say that I'm so sorry for all you guys at Cakewalk that it has come to this and I'm sorry for the product and those who developed it - what a grave loss this all is.

Personally, at this stage I think updating the main FAQ would be the best way to communicate any updates as new information arrives.

GregRband
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:42:37 (permalink)
RickJP909
Hi there and as the Op who started this thread and as a longtime user (since 2004) I'd like to say thank you so much for answering the questions in this thread and being so open and candid.

I'm sure most on here will really appreciate it.  I'd also like to say that I'm so sorry for all you guys at Cakewalk that it has come to this and I'm sorry for the product and those who developed it - what a grave loss this all is.

Personally, at this stage I think updating the main FAQ would be the best way to communicate any updates as new information arrives.

Well said! I forgot to mention the above in my recent posts here. Thank you Team and sorry here also.
I agree, the main FAQ would probably be best as there is so much activity and honestly topic swinging going on, it’s hard to manage keeping updated easily on many subjects of concern and announcements (ie the Overloud license one I came across by accident).
mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Gibson / Cakewalk Announcement FAQ - Finally Some Answers! 2017/11/30 23:44:20 (permalink)
Thanks to the customer support person for the recent post. I agree that updating the FAQ when relevant info arises would be the most effective way to communicate that info. And if it could be made a sticky on this forum, that'd be nice too!

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1