Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 13
Author
Dan DAmico
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 381
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:00:27 (permalink)
Mr. Moon and kp,

Have either of you run the Sonar 6/7 benchmarks with your P5K boards? Can you post the results?

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:14:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mr. moon

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

I have not read this entire thread, so if this has been stated already, please forgive me. But the problem is with the Intel P35 chipset and not the motherboard or bios. My Asus board shows the same problems with the chipset with the same spikes. My other ASUS board with a different chipset (VIA with a similar CPU/Bios) does not.

Well, please read the entire thread.

If you do, You will find some screen captures I posted of my ASUS P5K which does not have any DPC spikes whatsoever. I even include a screen capture of all the processes I had running on the system, as it is an internot computer of mine, not a DAW. My ASUS P5K-SE does not have any spikes either, nor does my ABIT IP35 Pro. The only mainboard of mine that has these spikes is my Gigabyte board (but no longer with the beta BIOS update I'm running).

...Just wondering, how can you have 270 posts in less than a month around here?

-mr moon

1) With almost 200 posts in the thread it got to be a bit impractical.

2) Unless you are calling me a lier I, then what is it your are trying to say? I posted the screenshot of the output of my machine... it has the spikes. So if you have none, then the next thing to do is to try to find the common denominator and see if we can solve it. That is my only intent here... what is yours?

3) Who cares how many posts I have? I fail to see the relevance to this problem. But if you must know, then I will tell you. 90% of my posts over the last month have been supporting the work of other song writers/producers by listening to their music and then providing a hearty slap on the back and a "well done". Go visit the song forum and you will see I have provided (for the vast majority of the cases) positive feedback to every song posted since I came. I do this because I like getting feedback on my songs (which I have produced two since arriving) and others have asked for it.

Most of the the rest have been trying to help others in various forums with technical problems to the best of my ability.

a couple were philosophical debates.

So can we get back to solving this problem now?
post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/04/24 19:38:43

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
dewdman42
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:19:22 (permalink)
Guys...settle down. This has been a productive thread up until now. Please don't muddy it up with pettiness.
foxwolfen
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:21:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dewdman42

Guys...settle down. This has been a productive thread up until now. Please don't muddy it up with pettiness.

Exactly. Thank you.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
dewdman42
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:24:19 (permalink)
That being said, a lot of information has been discussed in this thread and if these issues apply to you foxwolfen, I would heartily suggest you take 15 minutes and scan through the entire thread.
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:32:21 (permalink)
Sounds like a bios version thing again of some boards work and some dont. We have report of an asus with spikes, as well as abit I think I read earlier.
We also have reports of all brands, gigabyte, asus, and abit working. It has to be a matter of quality control ot bios version, and I think the bos/chipset relationship is the determinging factor based on what I have read here. Again, Ill report my results after trying F3 on my board later tonight.

This thread is worth the discussion. I agree, lets keep it helpful, and not "bash"full lol

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
mr. moon
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1515
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:37:45 (permalink)
Wow. Sorry if I came off as such a dick, but I guess I felt that it was rude of you to just jump into the thread without reading the reams of posts and information we've put hours and hours into. I apologize if I came across terse ...I meant to be more amusingly sarcastic than as an arse.

1. If you are going to post information in a thread, it is proper "netiquette" to read the thread through enough to understand where the thread is at in relation to the topic. I feel it was rude of you to just pop in and say "hey, I don't care enough to read through all the other posts, but look what I have to say".

2. I am not calling you a liar, I did not do so. All I'm saying is that your results are completely opposite to what others are experiencing.

3. All I was saying is that in the less than 4 weeks you've been here, you have posted a lot. That is interesting. That's it.

4. There is no #4.

Peace out.

-mr moon

I have not read this entire thread, so if this has been stated already, please forgive me. But the problem is with the Intel P35 chipset and not the motherboard or bios. My Asus board shows the same problems with the chipset with the same spikes. My other ASUS board with a different chipset (VIA with a similar CPU/Bios) does not.

Well, please read the entire thread.

If you do, You will find some screen captures I posted of my ASUS P5K which does not have any DPC spikes whatsoever. I even include a screen capture of all the processes I had running on the system, as it is an internot computer of mine, not a DAW. My ASUS P5K-SE does not have any spikes either, nor does my ABIT IP35 Pro. The only mainboard of mine that has these spikes is my Gigabyte board (but no longer with the beta BIOS update I'm running).

...Just wondering, how can you have 270 posts in less than a month around here?

-mr moon

1) With almost 200 posts in the thread it got to be a bit impractical.

2) Unless you are calling me a lier I, then what is it your are trying to say? I posted the screenshot of the output of my machine... it has the spikes. So if you have none, then the next thing to do is to try to find the common denominator and see if we can solve it. That is my only intent here... what is yours?

3) Who cares how many posts I have? I fail to see the relevance to this problem. But if you must know, then I will tell you. 90% of my posts over the last month have been supporting the work of other song writers/producers by listening to their music and then providing a hearty slap on the back and a "well done". Go visit the song forum and you will see I have provided (for the vast majority of the cases) positive feedback to every song posted since I came. I do this because I like getting feedback on my songs (which I have produced two since arriving) and others have asked for it.

Most of the the rest have been trying to help others in various forums with technical problems to the best of my ability.

a couple were philosophical debates.

So can we get back to solving this problem now?

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
4 GB 800MHz DDR2
RME FireFace 800
Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

foxwolfen
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:41:16 (permalink)
Yes they have and having scanned the thread (I scanned the thread, which meant I tended to skip over posts that stated they had no problem as they did not seem particularly useful) I did not see any real solution had been found and it seemed that the consensus was that the problem was with Gigabyte. But that is not the case, so for me the solution of a bios update does not apply - so perhaps the problem can be solved another way, especially if people are going out and spending money on parts they may not need, or that may not solve the problem.

If the solution had been found, then please direct me to the relevant post because with some 200 of them, its a bit hard to find.

Cheers
Shad

Composers Forum
Lanceindastudio
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:47:27 (permalink)
I figured it out! Dont get P35!

Thats a solution! And in the meantime, us here with a P35 will look for other solutions!

Thanx!, Lance

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
foxwolfen
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:49:53 (permalink)

Wow. Sorry if I came off as such a dick, but I guess I felt that it was rude of you to just jump into the thread without reading the reams of posts and information we've put hours and hours into. I apologize if I came across terse ...I meant to be more amusingly sarcastic than as an arse.

Sigh - there is an old saying - never assume or you make an ASS out or U and ME. You assumed that because I said I had not read every post, that I did not read any? I read the majority, but when you are scanning some 200 of them, it gets hard to absorb everything posted. I stated that I had not read them all because when you do arrive at a thread that is applicable to yourself, and there is 200 posts, its nearly impossible for any human being to scan them all and not miss anything. This is not unusual.

I thought I was being polite.

Shad

Composers Forum
dewdman42
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:51:35 (permalink)
guys. Please. Drop it or take it offline to Private email. Gracias.
mr. moon
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1515
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 19:58:01 (permalink)
I apologized to him. There's nothing more I can do except leave this thread. So I will do that now.

Bye.

-mr moon

ORIGINAL: dewdman42

guys. Please. Drop it or take it offline to Private email. Gracias.

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
4 GB 800MHz DDR2
RME FireFace 800
Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

Dan DAmico
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 20:39:24 (permalink)
Mr Moon,

Please don't leave the thread because of this misunderstanding. I appreciate your contributions, and your valuable insight.
post edited by Dan DAmico - 2008/04/24 21:09:35

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 20:55:25 (permalink)
Sigh - there is an old saying - never assume or you make an ASS out or U and ME. You assumed that because I said I had not read every post, that I did not read any? I read the majority, but when you are scanning some 200 of them, it gets hard to absorb everything posted. I stated that I had not read them all because when you do arrive at a thread that is applicable to yourself, and there is 200 posts, its nearly impossible for any human being to scan them all and not miss anything. This is not unusual. I thought I was being polite. Shad

Shad; When Mr. Moon gave his reply I was thinking the same thing. This thread is full of detail information. It really can't be scanned with out lot of valuable data being missed. I would go as far as to say if one has an interest in this it would be best to print out the entire thread and study it. It is that complicated. There are a lot of conflicting points be made. Sorting out all of this is not going to be easy.

This is in no way a rebuke or a criticism of your posting it is simply how I view how important it is to anyone looking at this thread to understand all the issues.

Best
John
Lanceindastudio
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 21:34:05 (permalink)
I can fonfirm that F3 bios fixes the dpclatency spikes issue on the GA-P35-DS3L board. See screenshot below.
Also, my overclock works perfect, 1.8ghz stock to 3.0ghz.

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
John
Forum Host
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 22:44:42 (permalink)
Lance have you lost any functions by rolling back the BIOS?

Best
John
foxwolfen
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/24 23:53:30 (permalink)
You wanna hear something truly whacked with ASUS? I can not roll my bios back to an earlier version. No in Windows, not from their recovery CD and not even when I made a old style dos boot disk... each time it says that there bios I am trying to replace is newer than the one I am replacing it with... yes I know...

This never used to be a problem...

With ASUS's famous tech support (or should I say - non- support) I will never get a solution to this problem.

Composers Forum
Dan DAmico
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 00:29:21 (permalink)
I had the same problem with the last Asus board I used, an A8N-SLI Deluxe. They must have so much confidence in their BIOS releases that they assume no one will ever need to go back to a previous version.

I had several problems with that board, and contacted Asus tech support 5 times over a 3 month period and never received a reply. I finally called their RMA dept. on the phone and requested an RMA. After about a month they told me the board was beyond repair, and they replaced it with an A8N-SLI Premium.

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
Lanceindastudio
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 02:53:33 (permalink)
I have lost nothing. The only thing is, this bios does not support Yorkield 45nm cpu's. Luckily I dont have that and this might persuade me to go Q6600 instead of Q9300 0r Q9450.

The newer bios releases support 4nm CPU's but I like my dpclatency check to pass ;)

And overclocking works absolutely perfect.
post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2008/04/25 03:47:59

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
Desperate Dan
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1554
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 05:03:30 (permalink)
Well I am still struggling with my Gigabyte EP35-DS3R rev 2.1. I Have spoken to the RME Agents and done everything they suggested. My latency is fine now, I can play a 10 Track song at 256 Samples with Hypersonic at 10% or less CPU, but I am now getting the Occasional dropout about maybe every thirty seconds. It doesn't spike the DPC Latency Tool, or the Process monitor or Disk monitor, so it's not Disk, Process or CPU related but something else.

I tried changing my TI Based FW800 Card to a VIA chipset Firewire 400 card, made no difference. I read and re-read my RME manul to see if I missed something there. I tried Underclocking the Video card, no joy. My Playback in Sonar is now a lot smoother and doesn't bang when I hit stop, like it used to. The Gigabyte F3e BIOS they emailed me didn't do much at all, in fact it could be a little worse. I also removed my Raid drivers as advised and found some Useless Services and processes that I took out. It feels quick and streamlined now but the occasional dropout still bugs me.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 09:36:43 (permalink)
Lance your screen shot looks almost identical to mine after I rolled-back to F3, glad to see it worked for you. I've had two heavy-duty sessions since then and no problems, although things were stable for me before. I guess I just feel better now. BTW I vote you get Q6600, you can overclock it to 3.0 with ease, but you might not need to.

Desperate Dan
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 09:57:39 (permalink)
Well I Have finally fixed my problem with my New PC and Fireface 800, Someone suggested I download a Microsoft Fix which seems to have worked, even with slightly Bumpy DPC latency I can now get my Fireface down to 64 Samples, which is not neccessary but it is nice to know it's capable of low latency work at reduced bandwidth. I will keep updating the BIOS and maybe they get that right for my DS3R board as well, which will be a bonus.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
Dan DAmico
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 10:18:23 (permalink)
Dan,
Which MS fix did you download? I was going to suggest the dual core and Intel CPU MS fixes, but I assumed you already had those. Is there something else?

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
mwall
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1262
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 10:31:53 (permalink)
I have lost nothing. The only thing is, this bios does not support Yorkield 45nm cpu's. Luckily I dont have that and this might persuade me to go Q6600 instead of Q9300 0r Q9450.

The newer bios releases support 4nm CPU's but I like my dpclatency check to pass ;)

And overclocking works absolutely perfect.

Lance, this is comforting, since my new set up is very close to yours. Same board and sound card. I have the Q6600. Currently on board Bios ver. F7, and will probably run the DPC latency test this weekend. If I see spikes I'll try the F3.

Curious, what are you all using to benchmark number of tracks, etc. Is there a standard SONAR file somewhere to use for this? Sorry if I missed that somewhere. Thanks.

Mark
-----
Some tunes:
http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
Desperate Dan
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 10:37:55 (permalink)
Dan,
Which MS fix did you download? I was going to suggest the dual core and Intel CPU MS fixes, but I assumed you already had those. Is there something else?

Hi Dan

I Just started typing a reply to your message telling you how everything is Hunky Dorey and wanted to post a screenshot of DPC Latency and I launched Sonar and all it does it Motorboat on the Right channel until you hit the Reset Exclamation mark. Damn I'm getting tired of this especially when I thought I had it beat.

Here's the Screenshot, check the CPU2 in the Right hand corner all I can think of is that I have just swopped the 702 for the 703 Hotfix.

post edited by Desperate Dan - 2008/04/25 10:57:15

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 10:42:45 (permalink)
Mark, I don't use any standard SONAR benchmarks so to speak. Mostly what I do is load-up a full mix of about 40 tracks or so with various plug-ins and soft synths and see 1. how low I can get my latency before I start getting drop-outs. 2. See if I can jam in any more soft synths or multi bands into the project. My last machine was a 3.2 P4 with Hyper threading with a 400 mhz FSB and it would just choke compared to what I can do now. I've been running between 2.2 & 3 ms of latency and haven't had to go any higher with an Edirol UA101 since I put this new build together at the end of January. So the only issues I have had have been caused by 3rd party plug-ins, mostly the KORG MS-20 USB controller. It just doesn't like me for some reason.

BTW guys I've been running XP Pro SP3 (RC1) on this DAW since I built it without any hitches.
Desperate Dan
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 11:05:52 (permalink)
Dan

Sorry I didn't answer your Question after the Sonar Freaked out. I rebooted and it's back to performing well now, don't have a clue what caused that. There is a process that keeps popping up called winlogon.exe, but I dont logon or use those facilities. Sorry back to the Point, the Microsoft Fix is called KB904412 ver 2.0 and it is now on my list of must have MS fixes. I always install MS, Firewire,Microcode and dual core fixes on all the PCs I build but this 904412 is new to me, it was pointed out to me by my RME rep. I am going to post a separate thread on this subject as I think it's important.

Here's my DPC Latency now which doesn't bother me in the least.

Dan DAmico
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 11:56:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mwall

Curious, what are you all using to benchmark number of tracks, etc. Is there a standard SONAR file somewhere to use for this? Sorry if I missed that somewhere. Thanks.

There is a Sonar 6/7 Benchmark Test you can run. That is where the figures I have posted in this thread have come from.

You can link to it here. Scroll down to post #206 for instructions.

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
Dan DAmico
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 11:59:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Desperate Dan

Dan

Sorry I didn't answer your Question after the Sonar Freaked out. I rebooted and it's back to performing well now, don't have a clue what caused that. There is a process that keeps popping up called winlogon.exe, but I dont logon or use those facilities. Sorry back to the Point, the Microsoft Fix is called KB904412 ver 2.0 and it is now on my list of must have MS fixes.

Thanks. I'm downloading that fix now.

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Delta PCI Soundcards
Windows XP Pro SP2
John
Forum Host
RE: Gigabyte P35 motherboards and DPC 2008/04/25 12:17:41 (permalink)
BTW Dan thanks for a great thread!

Best
John
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1