Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 20:59:11 (permalink)
Rain,

'Having fought with guitar tones and my fingers for 5-10 years, as an intermediate church gig-guitarist these last 3 years, and amateur (intermediate level) producer, I personally am forced to expressly follow Timidi's song-centric-logic (while envying just a few seasoned guitarists)

1) IOWs, the song (a higher power) dictates my way ... guitar rarely dominates my pop-mixes anymore (for skating dancing) and guitar is 'woven' for adjunct rhythm, solo-counters/riffs, and/or multi-genre emulations, etc.

2) I'm oft comfortable with the Ax Fx (Ultra) ($2000), to obtain any tone or fx necessary with my Les Paul Robot ... with its hundreds of presets.  And 'better' guitarists have expressly settled for it, IIRC.

3) TBH, I prefer faithful guitarist collaborators, much better (virtuoso-gifted) guitarists to worry about difficult riffs, tones, and fuzz-distortions.  Some real guitar friends for me have been: Shane, Vicent, Danzi III, Rick the NoHow, and FactoryYoyo. 

4) When all else fails to achieve the tone I'm after, I may opt to use a guitar MIDI sampler, whose tones are impeccable: EWQL Ministry of Rock or Trillion ... for example.

(I've numerous songs but they all need work)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 22:59:46 (permalink)
guitartrek

Danny Danzi

I have that Waves pack here actually. It's a pretty cool suite...however, for insane rock/metal, it falls way short. For mild drive, blues, cleans, jazz, it's a great plug suite. Not to sound biased, but my heart still belongs to the ABG stuff as I just feel it has everything anyone could ever want out of a software amp. :)

-Danny
Yeah - I couldn't find any really cool hi gain stuff on the Waves GTR3, or at least nothing better than what I was using. 

I did like ABG - I installed on my old 32bit system.  But when I switched to 64bit I never installed it.  I wanted to download a new version, but I didn't know where to grap it.  As I remember it sounded pretty organic - tubes to me.  Really good push/pull valve feel to it - better than the other sims I've tried.  I wonder if that's that "input gain" you're talking about?  Your demos of ABG are truly amazing.

FWIW, I do have GTR and it's probably my favorite for middle of the road stuff - but I always end up using impulses with that one too.

And you're right about those examples Danny posted a while ago. Jaw dropping.

Philip and Tim both mention that it's about the song first and I do agree - which makes my current struggle with sims even more of a paradox. In the end, what I'm after is pretty simple.

FWIW, I'm really not that difficult with guitar sounds - I like "bad" tones just as much as I like more refined subtle stuff. Because that's how I think of them - types. If I'm after a Vox type of sound, I'll probably be just as happy with an approximation using anything I have at my disposal at the moment. Even with only a little 15W Marshall Valvestate and a 57, I can sum up all the types of tones I need. I'm definitely more from the old Jimmy Page school of thought. But as far as amp sims, this doesn't seem to translate all that easily. 

So, just to be clear, I'm really not after something as epic as Van Halen or Steve Vai. To be perfectly honest, one of my all time favorites for guitar tones still is Stone Temple Pilots' Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. It has the variety, the "bad" tones, the unlikely, the stuff that's silly bit itself but works in the arrangement. Or more recently, stuff like Them Crooked Vultures. It's doubtful that anyone would refer to any of that stuff as amazingly well crafted guitar tones. I guess I like the sound of old small amps. Or then, the previously mentioned Alice in Chains for beefier guitars. 

Anyway I didn't really spent much time looking for references since the issue seems to be the same with almost all those tones - at least from my point of view. It's the same thing which eludes me, and my solution so far is the same for all of them - cab impulses + room impulses. And maybe still looking for something to add a bit of consistency before the sound reaches the converters. 

In that optic, I'm demo'ing Audio Ease's Cabinet, which, if it works, would at least simplify those extra steps - one interface, a couple of cabs, a knob to mix microphones, a room knob and not too much more.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 23:20:31 (permalink)
Rain

guitartrek

Danny Danzi

I have that Waves pack here actually. It's a pretty cool suite...however, for insane rock/metal, it falls way short. For mild drive, blues, cleans, jazz, it's a great plug suite. Not to sound biased, but my heart still belongs to the ABG stuff as I just feel it has everything anyone could ever want out of a software amp. :)

-Danny
Yeah - I couldn't find any really cool hi gain stuff on the Waves GTR3, or at least nothing better than what I was using. 

I did like ABG - I installed on my old 32bit system.  But when I switched to 64bit I never installed it.  I wanted to download a new version, but I didn't know where to grap it.  As I remember it sounded pretty organic - tubes to me.  Really good push/pull valve feel to it - better than the other sims I've tried.  I wonder if that's that "input gain" you're talking about?  Your demos of ABG are truly amazing.

And you're right about those examples Danny posted a while ago. Jaw dropping.

Philip and Tim both mention that it's about the song first and I do agree - which makes my current struggle with sims even more of a paradox. In the end, what I'm after is pretty simple.

So, just to be clear, I'm really not after something as epic as Van Halen or Steve Vai. To be perfectly honest, one of my all time favorites for guitar tones still is Stone Temple Pilots' Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. It has the variety, the "bad" tones, the unlikely, the stuff that's silly bit itself but works in the arrangement. Or more recently, stuff like Them Crooked Vultures. It's doubtful that anyone would refer to any of that stuff as amazingly well crafted guitar tones. I guess I like the sound of old small amps. Or then, the previously mentioned Alice in Chains for beefier guitars.  

Thanks for the kind words on the ABG stuff. Yeah can't help ya there if you're on a mac. As for the STP sounds, you should have no problems getting those with the Waves stuff and a strat. Very dark tones most of the time with a bit of twang. For Them Crooked Vultures, that's a screaming tube amp. You can hear the tube saturation. There's nothing I've heard by way of amp sim that can get that saturation. That's an old type guitar tone there with more gain in the sound. But you can hear the tubes glowing due to the extreme saturation there. So you're gonna need something with 12AX7's to even come close to that saturated sound.

For the latest Cantrell sound, modern distortion with a hint of an 80's type vibe using rooms as the enhancement. Check My Brain for example....the guitar sound on that is bigger than any of the other instruments. It's over-kill to me...way too much use of the room for my taste, but still a killer, very distinct sound. It's also a sound that uses layering. He's definitely using at least 3 different amps within the tone as well as the room(s) those amps were recorded in. Darker type tone here than on say, Man in a Box....which I loved tone wise. I personally think you could come close to 2 of those tones with your Waves rig. You may have a bit of trouble getting the gain Jerry gets using the Waves stuff as to me, the more gain you use, the worse those plugs seem to sound. The Vultures though...you'll definitely need a good guitar pre-amp with some gain in the front end with 12AX7's or a very small tube amp that you can crank up all the way to get a mixture of pre-amp and output tubes glowing. 

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/22 23:43:15 (permalink)
Thanks Danny. :)

It's still all pretty much in the air, as I'm just gathering material and putting songs together, and ultimately, my fiancée will have the last word on the the overall tone of the thing. So I myself am still experimenting will all sort of sounds, and the "heaviest" example she gave me was, to me, Cantrell-esque in essence. I'm not expecting to have to go beyond that amount of drive. And though I mention STP and TCV, we might no end up that "dirty" either. 

All I know is that, after an unsatisfying/impersonal first album with top notch session musicians and polished production as dictated by the record company, she wants something a lot more rock, a bit less polished, something that'll sound more like a real rock band than a generic/paid by the hour studio band. 

Still, through all those things, the issue remain pretty much the same so I felt like any input the good folks around here could provide could probably be useful.

Too bad I lost an old Dean Markley tube drive I used to have in a move a few years ago. This could indeed have been something I could have tried to maybe warm up the sound up a bit. I guess it'll be one more reason to enjoy my stay in NY - I should be able to find whatever it is that I'll need here. 

Thanks again.

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 02:35:16 (permalink)
guitartrek

Rain - this is an interesting topic.  I love going direct (dry in mono) and using amp sims for the conveinience of it.  Check out this song which has a bunch of guitar tracks, a couple clean strats with different amps, strat using an envelop filter and tremelo, a pair of les paul crunch tracks, and les paul lead.  I'm using Pod Farm exclusively for all guitar processing.  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10389337

Sometimes I feel that there must be something better than the line 6 stuff, and then I try others, guitar rig, the new waves amp sims, amplitude and the peavy software (I forgot the name), and none of them seem to be appreciably better (or worse) so I've stuck with the line 6 pod farm - basically for simplicity.    Normally I use delays and reverbs outside of the the amp sim.  But the track with the tremolo and envelope filter was all inside pod farm.

Let me know if you think this could be improved with a different amp sim.  I'm willing to try anything.

Listening to your song again right now. Pretty cool. :)

When I got back to guitar-oriented material for this project, Pod Farm was actually one of my first option - I've used a POD before and, as good or as bad as people find it, and though it wasn't perfect, I could actually work with it. Unfortunately, after many attempts w/ POD Farm free, I had to renounce, not because of the sound, but because it just doesn't seem to work on my system.

As a matter of fact, Pod Farm is, I think, the only amp sim I've tried which didn't have those typical problematic frequencies. All the others I've tried, including Waves, Amplitube, Guitar Rig have that same harshness - so much that I ended up creating an eq preset to fix the issue and that I typically insert after all of them - and the adjustments I have to make to that preset are very minor. It's not like it jumps at you when you're playing. But when you sit back and listen in the context of a mix, you start noticing that something's standing out that shouldn't really be there, and it makes it a bit hard to get your guitar to blend in the mix - if the guitar is loud enough, it sizzles through, if you bring down the volume until it's less apparent, the guitar isn't loud enough.

I seem to recall that POD Farm also had a decent emulation of that tighter range of frequencies around 200H, which I associate with the sound of wood at work.

I don't know for Revalver - it's been recommended to me and I have yet to try it, but I'm not too inclined to instal demos and stuff on my DAW - unless it's something I'm very likely to buy. Same for the Acme stuff, since I'm on Mac and it's PC only. But those guys seem to be onto something.

I'm still thinking of adding some tube sat on the way in to warm up thing and get a bit of density, but the other crucial element is Cab sim and room. As far as amp sims, I don't think they're all that different or any better than what you have in Pod Farm. IIRC, POD Farm also uses impulses and it also has a room parameter that does the job.

As mentioned earlier, I'm trying Audio Ease's Cabinet right now - which I think is similar in approach to some of the Acme stuff, though probably a whole lot less flexible. But this thing seems to be a good compromise between simplicity and my current solution. Not as flexible because I don't have access to 20 000 impulse responses, but, somehow, that a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It's basically only 4 cabs + a Leslie type of cab. A couple of knobs, some room ambiance and that's it. 

In the real world, I wouldn't be the type of guy who goes through a dozen of different cabs and moves the mics one inch at a time for 2 hours to find the sweet spot - so my current solution, which involves browsing through tons of impulses, setting up separate busses and all of that is the absolute opposite of the simplicity I'm after. I'd rather have 2 or 3 cabs I can rely on and work with these. That's what I'm used to.

But as far as Waves, NI and the others, I don't think you'd find anything there that really has more convincing tones than Pod Farm. 
post edited by Rain - 2011/08/23 02:40:24

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 08:06:19 (permalink)
Rain

But as far as Waves, NI and the others, I don't think you'd find anything there that really has more convincing tones than Pod Farm. 
I do.
The art drawn with a #2 pencil is really not the pencil....IMO

mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 09:10:57 (permalink)
Using amp sims is simply against my morals. Funny, cause I'm perfectly happy to use BFD... I don't know why, but I would just feel wrong/dirty using them. For guitars at least, it just has to be the real thing in my eyes.. Or ears, rather.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 10:26:20 (permalink)
Well, this is one complicated question for me to answer.

1. I am not really anywhere near a proficient guitarist. I do not say that to act modest or anything, since I think I do put out some really good guitar work on my tunes. In terms of ideas: they never seem to stop coming. However, just about every lead you hear on my stuff is a composite of a bunch of takes. I am sloppy, have awful pick control, and have a wandering meter.

2. That being said, it is virtually impossible for me to just have a miced setup and record an amped guitar and do anywhere near the quality I expect of myself.

3. I have Amplitube, GR4, and a hundred other amp VSTs. The only one I can consistently use is POD Farm 2. Their heavy stuff just cuts through so much better in the mix.

4. Tim, I agree, it is ALWAYS about the song. However, with the array of tone choices in something like POD X3, tone is insipration, and just about every song I write with guitar was propelled by the feeling I got with a certain tone, though that doesn't meant the original tone is what I end up using in the mix. In fact, my most promblematic mixes are when I recorded directly out of POD X3, without bothereing to make a dry signal take.
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 10:35:00 (permalink)
mattplaysguitar

Using amp sims is simply against my morals. Funny, cause I'm perfectly happy to use BFD... I don't know why, but I would just feel wrong/dirty using them. For guitars at least, it just has to be the real thing in my eyes.. Or ears, rather.

Maybe because BFD are actual drum samples?  An amp modeler is still an approximation of the real thing. 

I've got my favorite amp models now and would love to someday have a room full of all the actual amps and mics and mic placements, etc.  Problem for me is I've been drawn to models of pretty expensive amps.  To replicate all my favorites would cost many thousands of dollars.  Then when it comes down to parting with the money, I gravitate towards buying a new guitar instead of an amp.  I never developed any emotional attachements to amps - probably because I never had any great amps. 
post edited by guitartrek - 2011/08/23 10:39:06
spacey
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:11:26 (permalink)
I've seen this topic here more times than I can remember through the years.

I can understand one seeking sounds and equipment to please them.
What is hard to understand is;

I don't know of a single guitarist for instance that can't stand using...let's say, Line 6 but
can't tell you that Line 6 is what somebody else used in a recording.

I believe if the members in this thread that posted audio examples wouldn't have mentioned what they used....nobody would know. Somebody may take a lucky guess or known because they've mentioned it many times that they only use a certain set-up.

Of course it is very easy to prove me wrong. Somebody step and say- "I don't care what you use. Record something and let me hear it and I will tell you exactly what you used."
And then do it.
Until then...it's just a matter of what floats your boat. The market says there are a lot of guitarist using a lot of different equipment and sounding very good at it.

So....where's the one with the golden ears?...please speak up.
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:18:05 (permalink)
mattplaysguitar

I can be pretty stiff when it comes to morals as a musician but not on that one. For example, I'm still trying to get used to comping guitar tracks. I always try to capture the whole song or part in a single take from start to finish. I NEVER could let myself punch into tracks. But I'm beginning to accept that I may have to build the whole track from a couple of takes.

But amp sims... Well, as long as I'm playing, whatever it is that amplifies the signal and colors it, it's ok with me. It's not like it's tricking anyone into believing that my performance is better than it really is, or, in a lesser measure, I just selected a preset. I'm still setting up my tone.

Of course, these are impressions. My take on it isn't any more valid than anyone else's.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:22:19 (permalink)
the reason i posted (4) examples, with details, was to illustrate by actual audio, the differences between capturing sounds using a Pod XT, microphone, Palmer PDI-09, and a blending of techniques.

i can clearly hear the differences between all 4 examples.

i don't know if that means i have golden ears, tin ears, or if it just means because i knew what i used it tilts my opinioin, and therefore can't objectively be used.....!

heheh

hey, i'm trying to help here.

but no one.......... even responded to my post.
ultimately, it does not matter what someone uses, if they get the result they want.

my story is simple:
i tried the artificial amp sounds for 2 years, and never bonded with it.
i prefer a very old school approach, though i've augmented that with a palmer pdi-09, which i'm growing fonder and fonder of, with every recording i make with it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:31:31 (permalink)
spacey

I don't know of a single guitarist for instance that can't stand using...let's say, Line 6 but

I believe if the members in this thread that posted audio examples wouldn't have mentioned what they used....nobody would know. Somebody may take a lucky guess or known because they've mentioned it many times that they only use a certain set-up.

Of course it is very easy to prove me wrong. Somebody step and say- "I don't care what you use. Record something and let me hear it and I will tell you exactly what you used."
And then do it.
Until then...it's just a matter of what floats your boat. The market says there are a lot of guitarist using a lot of different equipment and sounding very good at it.

That was somehow implied I think. I mentioned that, from my perspective, it seems like any option could be used w/ relatively satisfying results. Especially in the case of Guitar Rig. I can't get it to work for me, but I KNOW it works for some. 

If you read carefully, this isn't about which is better - I'm more in trying to find a common ground, not trying to find which package is better. How people get amp sim of choice to work for them, what they add to the signal chain, how they make up for its shortcomings.

As for audio exemples, for some reason, I prefer to stick with: what works for you and let's hear it in context. What do you think is ok or great in the context of a mix? Otherwise, pretty much all amp sim has it's own series of audio demos which can sound as good or as bad as anyone wants them to. If someone puts up something that seems to be what any one of us here is after, then we can try to understand why and how it works. 

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:32:36 (permalink)
batsbrew

the reason i posted (4) examples, with details, was to illustrate by actual audio, the differences between capturing sounds using a Pod XT, microphone, Palmer PDI-09, and a blending of techniques.

i don't know if that means i have golden ears, tin ears, or if it just means because i knew what i used it tilts my opinioin, and therefore can't objectively be used.....!

heheh

ultimately, it does not matter what someone uses, if they get the result they want.

my story is simple:
i prefer a very old school approach, though i've augmented that with a palmer pdi-09, which i'm growing fonder and fonder of, with every recording i make with it.
Batsbrew - I'm going down the list. I have your stuff on my list for my next listening session. :)

spacey
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:37:52 (permalink)
batsbrew

heheh

my story is simple:

Since you referenced "golden ears" I'll assume you're addressing me.

I'll tell you what it means.....it means that I believe many make a decision on the "front end" based on not only sound but everything in the chain. How it makes us feel...some may feel sims are fake and they will never sound good to them-nothing to do with the sound.... How much we like the looks..they want to see and feel the knobs.....on and on....

It's not solely about sound. If it were then "golden ears" could speak up and we all could be amazed.
"Golden ears" could listen "after the fact" with nothing but sound as an indiction to determine what he hears
as a good egg to a bad egg and the different sounds of Line 6 (or whatever) to whatever else.

And it comes down to what I said and then what you said....it's whatever makes it work for you.

spacey
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 12:52:08 (permalink)
Rain

spacey

And then do it.

That was somehow implied I think. I mentioned that, from my perspective, it seems like any option could be used w/ relatively satisfying results. Especially in the case of Guitar Rig. I can't get it to work for me, but I KNOW it works for some. 

If you read carefully, this isn't about which is better - I'm more in trying to find a common ground, not trying to find which package is better. How people get amp sim of choice to work for them, what they add to the signal chain, how they make up for its shortcomings.

As for audio exemples, for some reason, I prefer to stick with: what works for you and let's hear it in context. What do you think is ok or great in the context of a mix? Otherwise, pretty much all amp sim has it's own series of audio demos which can sound as good or as bad as anyone wants them to. If someone puts up something that seems to be what any one of us here is after, then we can try to understand why and how it works. 

I guess I read better than you as I didn't mention what was "better". In fact I made it point to support why it's
not about "better" but it's about the person using it.

I also read good well enough to know your post was about software.

Bye.

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 13:06:21 (permalink)
Tim, I agree, it is ALWAYS about the song. However, with the array of tone choices in something like POD X3, tone is insipration, and just about every song I write with guitar was propelled by the feeling I got with a certain tone, though that doesn't meant the original tone is what I end up using in the mix. In fact, my most promblematic mixes are when I recorded directly out of POD X3, without bothereing to make a dry signal take.

Yea, I think I recanted everything I said.....
I want a POD, a new computer, sound card, a wooden pick, and lots of moving blankets. (and a tele).
then I'll have MY sound...
oh well..

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 13:15:38 (permalink)
Starise

I am surprised that you haven't gotten tons of responses to this.....

Guitarists can literally go on and on and on and on and on and on about the "tone". No two of them have the same opinion either. For some of them, I don't think they have really found the holy grail yet but they will know it when they hear it lol.

I am a realtively new guitarist coming from keyboard roots.......ok lets not mince words here.....I'm a newbee. I love the instrument and I kick myself every day that I picked up a keyboard intead of a guitar first. When I started guitar, I was hooked and ended up with a few real amps, some of them tube. GR4 and Amplitube,the TC Electronic Nova system(this is total analog effects with digital control and a Line 6  HD 500, oh and one of those Boss acoustic simulator thingys,the biggest one they make....Doggonit if a person can't conjure something from that its not the hardware or the software!

If only the guys back in the 50's had known how complex their simple little tube amps and simple chunks of wood with pick ups on them would become!

Recording guitar,especially electric guitar is probably worthy of a 500 page book that only 50% of guitarists will agree with and the other 50% will say the book was too expensive. It is an art no doubt. I think rock guitar presents more challanges than recording other styles. There are so many variables when recording guitar in a home studio.

I can't listen to the track posted yet but I'll give it a listen later. I think that one of the things driving guitarists to look for the holy grail is individuality. No two of them want to sound the same but they all want to sound good.

That's a thing which fascinates me. If you take a look around and check all the resources available in terms of tutorials, videos and all, it seems like 80% is about drums. Seems a bit disproportionate if you consider that many home studio folks are using sampled drums which are already pretty much shaped to fit in the mix. Not that I don't obsess with drum sounds, but... To me, by definition, they're hits, occupying a much more "finite" position in a mix than, say, on overdriven guitar part with sustaining notes and all. That doesn't mean you don't have to work to get them to sound great but, you usually have much more clues to begin with. I don't know. Maybe it is actually because guitars can be so many different things and happen at so many different places in a mix that there isn't much to be said beside using a low cut filter.

Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player, and like a vocalist with his voice, I can be pretty difficult and I have more specific/less objective expectations. Yet, as I said before, I don't really think I fall in the "Eric Johnson" category. 

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 13:23:53 (permalink)
spacey

Rain

spacey

And then do it.

I guess I read better than you as I didn't mention what was "better". In fact I made it point to support why it's
not about "better" but it's about the person using it.

I also read good well enough to know your post was about software.

Bye.

Then sorry if misunderstood your point. It can happen if something is not absolutely explicit as english isn't my language, so I sometimes miss a few hints.

Though I did get that you also seem to think that none was "better", I may have misunderstood your point in that it left me with a feeling that you thought all discussion on that topic was futile. I see it as an opportunity to share thoughts, tips and tricks.

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 14:39:25 (permalink)
timidi

Tim, I agree, it is ALWAYS about the song. However, with the array of tone choices in something like POD X3, tone is insipration, and just about every song I write with guitar was propelled by the feeling I got with a certain tone, though that doesn't meant the original tone is what I end up using in the mix. In fact, my most promblematic mixes are when I recorded directly out of POD X3, without bothereing to make a dry signal take.

I want a POD, a new computer, sound card, a wooden pick, and lots of moving blankets. (and a tele).
oh well..
Tim, in all honesty, I'm listening to one of your smooth jazz tracks right now, and I think there is absolutely nothing that stands out as unfit for the song - tasteful playing, pretty sweet tone. It all works fine.

IK Obi
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 15:08:42 (permalink)
I have a very similar experience to Batsbrew. I started with a Pod XT as my first big jump into tone from a small peavy practice amp. From there the POD XT was amazing, this mainly was for live gigging and I preferred the 1 guitar case & my Pod XT for gigs. At home I had a few amps that I loved to record through but after awhile just kept using the POD to record. I tried AmpliTube a few years after having the POD and I was completely happy and not looking. I just started a small site about recording and was doing reviews. So I did a review for AmpliTube Fender and was blown away! I remember sitting down and going through presets after I first installed it. I had cleared the whole evening to try it out and write about it. I spent 3 hours going through the 65 Twin presets and I couldn't stop playing. Now all I use for my personal stuff I use AmpliTube, I still own a few amps but now they are more for clients that I record than my own use. I prefer recording and producing myself and I like to work quickly so as soon as I get an idea I can play it with it sounding awesome quickly. No tubes to warm up, switching sounds very fast, a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the hardware versions go for. Plus I've had tons of gear, you need tons of space and don't forget maintenance. Those were my main reasons, but also I'm relatively young at 23. Internet, computers and digital modeling were always at my finger tips. I own real tube amps and yes they sound awesome but I don't hear a big difference. Yes you can feel it, turn up your monitors if you want to feel it. (Links weren't added to not appear to spammy. Recently I started working for IK, my tone decisions were made WAY before I was employed by them)
post edited by IK Obi - 2011/08/24 12:31:15
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 15:22:51 (permalink)
I have a very similar experience to Batsbrew

actually, IK, it sounds like you had exactly the OPPOSITE experience i had!!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

IK Obi
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 15:27:50 (permalink)
Sorry I forgot to add the whole time I used the POD I was still buying amps and would use those for personal use/recording rather than gigging. Then the POD just kind of took over for ease of use.
Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 15:46:13 (permalink)
IK Obi

I have a very similar experience to Batsbrew. I started with a Pod XT as my first big jump into tone from a small peavy practice amp. From there the POD XT was amazing, this mainly was for live gigging and I preferred the 1 guitar case & my Pod XT for gigs. At home I had a few amps that I loved to record through but after awhile just kept using the POD to record. I tried AmpliTube a few years after having the POD and I was completely happy and not looking. I just started a small site about recording and was doing reviews. So I did a review for AmpliTube Fender and was blown away! I remember sitting down and going through presets after I first installed it. I had cleared the whole evening to try it out and write about it. I spent 3 hours going through the 65 Twin presets and I couldn't stop playing. Now all I use for my personal stuff I use AmpliTube, I still own a few amps but now they are more for clients that I record than my own use. I prefer recording and producing myself and I like to work quickly so as soon as I get an idea I can play it with it sounding awesome quickly. No tubes to warm up, switching sounds very fast, a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the hardware versions go for. Plus I've had tons of gear, you need tons of space and don't forget maintenance. Those were my main reasons, but also I'm relatively young at 23. Internet, computers and digital modeling were always at my finger tips. I own real tube amps and yes they sound awesome but I don't hear a big difference. Yes you can feel it, turn up your monitors if you want to feel it. (Links weren't added to not appear to spammy. Recently I started working for IK, my tone decisions were made WAY before I was employed by them)

Obi, as the official OP, I beg you to feel free to add any link you may want. It's all part of the discussion. ;)

I absolutely like AT for tracking. Recently, I came up with a tone I thought I was rather happy with, so I bounced it and start rough mixing, mainly setting levels and low pass filtering to hear it in context. Didn't seem bad, but for some reason, as a whole the mix didn't click.

So I went back - bypassed the cab in AT and routed to 2 busses, one with a cab impulse and one with a room impulse. I didn't agonize over this - simply picked impulses that were similar to what I had done in AT in terms of choice of cab and mic placement, and adjusted Cabinet and Room's output to similar ratios as those I had used in AT. To my hears, the result was better. That's just me. Maybe you and 90% of the folks out there would actually prefer the original AT cab sim track.

I know some people get away with it only with GR or Amplitube. Some others have a fairly elaborate signal chain. Which is why I like to hear and discuss about that stuff. Some folks may be getting a sound they like using X, but I personally wouldn't be able to put up with it. Some other might totally nail the type of tone I like using something completely different from what I use. The whole idea is really to exchange ideas and maybe open some new perspectives.  

Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 16:39:10 (permalink)
Hi, Guys,

Much like Geno and James, I own many different amp sims and modelers, as well as several "real" guitar amps both large and small.  But, for the past few years I strictly use POD Farm Standalone, not the VST, to record, and before that, it's predecessor Line6 Gearbox.

I always decide on my tones and commit to them before recording, and do not record a dry signal for re-amping with the VST.  I also record "wet" with POD Farm Standalone effects, but I do usually add some additional eq, reverb, and delay on buses after the fact.

I always try to get the tone and overall guitar sound of the song as close to what I'm hearing in my head, before even opening Sonar and pushing the record button.  That way, I don't have to spend a ton of time tweaking the guitars during the mixing stage.

Great discussion, guys, I'm glad you posted this, Rain.  It's always good to see what gear and techniques other guitar players are using to craft their sound.

Have a good one!
Bob

clickonce
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 17:20:35 (permalink)
Great thread... I'm a bit of a soft-amp junky. After using most of the amp sims out there, I generally gravitate towards amplitube 3... but recently it's been S-Gear. S-Gear is the best sounding/feeling sim I've used, they did a great job... I recommend trying it if you haven't. I'm hoping the new Kemper stuff has the ability to record dry signal as well as wet. That thing looks v. cool. Cheers!
post edited by clickonce - 2011/08/23 17:21:42
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/23 17:59:45 (permalink)
Rain

timidi

oh well..
Tim, in all honesty, I'm listening to one of your smooth jazz tracks right now, and I think there is absolutely nothing that stands out as unfit for the song - tasteful playing, pretty sweet tone. It all works fine.

Thanks Rain. Kind of you to say. I like the direct tone I get for that kind of stuff. However, due to the limitations with my computer it's, as has been stated earlier, kind of uninspiring for most other kind of stuff. I've been playing around with some rougher sounds and tracks by making sub mixes so I can work the sims at low latency. I like the Waves sim and amplitude Ok. Haven't used Guit rig in awhile but I found it capable. I like it's effects and sometimes use it (if I think of it) on things other than guitars. As Danny pointed out, the sustain issue is sort of a problem sometimes with all the sims for me. 

I think everyone here will agree that the main advantage of the sims is the convenience. I've got 2 amps that are gathering dust except for the occasional live gig. Which reminds me of another technique you might try (carefully). When I play live (as a one man band) I run a line straight out of the external speaker out of a Princeton reverb (on like 2), into a direct box, into my mixer. That's my live "tone". I've tried it in the studio also and the tubes or whatever give a nice bite to the direct tone. That, in conjunction with a sim might give you some ideas to explore. Too much work for me:) 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/24 01:51:41 (permalink)
jamesg1213

Before Sonar I used a Boss Br-8 for recording. When I moved to a DAW I kept the Boss as a pre-amp/guitar modeller, and stuck with it ever since. I love the Boss COSM effects, and the tones just seem thick and creamy to me, particularly with my Les Paul. I've never been one to record dry and re-amp later, I always get the tone I want going in. If it ends up not working, I re-track with a new tone.

My rockier stuff probably shows that side of things, any of the 4 tracks here;

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=756694

Thanks James!

I had a friend who was totally fond of his Boss unit and COSM - great guitar player he was (well, still is I assume, I just haven't seen him in ages). Anyway, it seems to work pretty well for you too. 

It's hard to describe tones with words, but, anyway, in my case, I'm after something a bit more "dysfunctional" in terms of tones - as you might have guessed by the references I mentioned somewhere above. I guess I should call it ugly tones, plain and simple. lol Danny probably hit the nail when he said 12AX7... But I'm so stubborn that I keep on trying other things. 

Anyway, thanks for chiming in and sharing some of your work. :)

Rain
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/24 02:01:11 (permalink)
Guys, just FYI, I do take the time to listen to the stuff that you all post. Which is why it might take a bit of time for me to get back - plus I didn't want this to be a "critique" marathon - it was meant more to exchange what some consider a relatively good/acceptable tone, what they like and don't like about it, instead of us just saying - I use X, I like this about it but not that.

You probably all guessed that, but I have a phobia of misunderstandings. ;)

Hopefully, we'll hear even more from folks on these boards using all kind of crazy setups.

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Guitar Players, let's hear your stuff and discuss 2011/08/24 04:44:28 (permalink)
IK Obi

I own real tube amps and yes they sound awesome but I don't hear a big difference. Yes you can feel it, turn up your monitors if you want to feel it. (Links weren't added to not appear to spammy. Recently I started working for IK, my tone decisions were made WAY before I was employed by them)
I think to hear the differences Obi, you have to know what the differences are. I can give you a few to think about and maybe you can report back to your guys and have them crack the 12ax7 tube thing that no one has yet to crack. LOL!

1. The first thing to listen for is there is a certain saturation in a tube rig when you kick the drive up a little bit. I'm not talking extreme gain here, I'm talking just enough dirt to where it saturates. Not to be confused with distortion...there's a difference as you know, between saturation and distortion. This just hasn't been achieved right in sims. Sure, in clean sounds and *some* dirty sounds, it's going to be hard to tell. And most people are not going to be able to tell a difference...this we know. However, there's something about a tube rig with a 12ax7 front end that just has that little extra something that tranny rigs just don't have.

2. When you do get a tube amp at mild gain to sound just right, part of that mild gain is saturation gain from the tubes themselves. It's an almost "bad" guitar sound due to the break-up. Listen to the Crooked Vultures...you'll hear what I mean. That's saturated distortion with lots of drive. It almost sounds bad, yet it's good because of the characteristics of the tubes.

3. Warmth....when you saturate the sound just right, there is a certain warmth and tonal characteristic that tranny sounds just don't get. I don't mean warm as far as rolling off your treble...I mean in the voicing itself. Tubes just have this "less abrasive" thing to them...or, they can be really abrasive depending on how they saturate. A tranny rig can actually sound warmer than a tube rig, but the characteristics of the tube rig that make it sound a bit harsh, can only be achieved by tubes. For example, most of the British tones to me have a harshness about them...but you can still tell in 5 seconds that it's a tube amp. They just saturate and distort in a different way.

4. Extreme gain...this is something (for me anyway) that is extremely important. Being a rock/metal guitarist, certain techniques I use just sound better with a 12ax7 front end. Especially pinch harmonics. I absolutely HATE the sound of pinches using any type of transistor rig whether it be modeled or an actual amp. That sound to me is like nails on a chalk-board no matter who does it. I just hate it with a passion. Now when you do that with a tube front end, it no longer sounds like an annoying squeal...it sounds like a scream or a "chirp" that hits you in the throat. Here's an example of what I'm talking about in a solo section from one of my songs. Listen to how these pinch harmonics sound. Nothing tranny can get this tone no matter how hard you try. I work for ABG as a developer....and though we may not be at the level you guys are, we have quite a few genius amp guys working for us. We've come close, but this tone here...hasn't been possible unless we use tubes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/Wild%26DangerousLead.mp3

The pinch harm isn't one dimensional like it is on a modeled amp or tranny amp. This thing explodes out at you like it's choking you to death. Sure, this isn't the number one reason to use tubes over modeling...lol...but it's a pet peeve of mine. Not to mention the nice, natural compression you get from tubes. So to certain people in certain situations....as well as the style they play, tubes make a HUGE difference. :)

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/08/24 04:46:25

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1