Helpful ReplyLockedHello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018]

Page: << < ..2627282930 > Showing page 27 of 30
Author
Widetrack
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 310
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/22 13:44:56 (permalink)
Hello Meng! It's great to see that the guy who's taken over Cakewalk is dedicated to curating a great suite of software and making it even greater.

Thank you for saving Sonar and Cakewalk.

This forum has a lot of very smart and dedicated people who use Sonar as the primary tool of their profession and passion. We are all eager and able to help you however we can. Give us good software and good information, and together we will make this a very successful venture.

Let's rock.
Weetu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/22 13:46:31 (permalink)
Voda La Void
Ok, what is TDFKAS?  

The DAW Formerly Known as Sonar.

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't notice I wasn't on the last page of the thread...

johndavidross
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 14:34:04 (permalink)
I'm a little late to the announcement but THANK YOU for saving SONAR! I think that SPLAT and BandLab could be one of the best music production combinations for songwriters if done properly. 

My suggestion for now would be to find a way to keep this forum in place. If it weren't for this forum then I'd be lost sometimes. It is a great group here and all the old talk in here is priceless in terms of knowledge. My suggestion for the future is to come up with a fair solution to those of us that purchased the lifetime updates for SONAR Platinum.

Cheers to a great revival of a great product!

Singer | Songwriter | Producer
www.johndavidross.com
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 15:10:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/03/22 16:51:54
meng
We decided to do it this way (opt-in) instead of auto-creating an account for everyone because we didn't want to force a new user account on anyone - we apologise that it's a little bit extra work but we hope that you understand! It's important to note that in order to ensure you get the right upgrade or crossgrades in future, you'll need to sign up for BandLab with the same email you used for your Cakewalk products.

Reading one time more...

Current Cakewalk accounts are used for authorization. Current login can be already invalid "e-mail", but it is still valid authorization code.  So I read the statement "instead of auto-creating" as "we will not automatically recognize your old authorization".

Sorry to say, in that case the situation is fishy...
There is Cakewalk customers database. And it is clear from the announcement that BandLab has access to it (how they can match e-mails otherwise?). There is a person who has written in plain text that on-line authorization for old products will work or off-line authorization is released. That person works for BandLab now.  I do not remember any "if"s in that statement. Now there is "sign up for BandLab". Will it be "subscribe to ... " as next?

I remember Cakewalk and forum accounts merging. Even that was not extremely smooth.

I think before such announcement, BandLab could at least introduced some "flag" in own system so users can see when  "Your account is bound to WTF...  sorry, TDFKS", and somehow react in case that has not happened.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 16:54:17 (permalink)
I hope someone is monitoring the Cakewalk Store area of this forum. There may be issues related to existing accounts that could impact migration.
noldar12a
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 18:22:19 (permalink)
Just found out about the transfer of assets today.  I am very glad for the Sonar community that it has happened.  Hopefully the new program will address at least some of the shortcomings that exist in Sonar.  As for me, I still need what I needed before: restoration of color control due to my eyesight issues and basic notation that works (i.e. can display triplets, etc.).  I have not yet moved to another DAW (Cubase would likely be the choice once I have a non-ancient computer for my DAW), but for now I will continue to use ye olde 8.5.3.

Still, very good news for all concerned!
4syth
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 18:29:18 (permalink)
If i register not from request email, but using cakewalk login and same mail, it will accept? Ijust sign up not from request email, cause i cant find it, it was in spam box((
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/22 19:51:34 (permalink)
Tacatta
Not sure if anyone can help me with this but here goes. I received the email from BandLab saying I should sign up with my original email, my problem is I am switching internet providers tomorrow and will have a new email address. I'm not sure if this will affect any emails I would need to get from Bandlab or anything else for that matter. I would have preferred to be able to change to my new email address now within sonar, but they are saying we must use the original email address.

Just a general suggestion here, as someone who switched email provider a few years ago.  See if you can arrange to have your old email address forwarded to your new one.

My old provider offered this feature, and it was a life saver.  You will realize that you have many other accounts tied to your old email address as you get down the road.  Not having access to the old email address while you make the changes in your existing online accounts could mean you get locked out of some permanently, if you have not supplied them with backup contact info etc. to confirm your identity with.

It is much easier to be able to receive and respond to any change confirmations with those emails sent to your old box.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/22 20:09:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Del 2018/03/22 20:17:31
cparmerlee
wolfchen
Query:  Did Cakewalk know it was going to sell the company when it gave customers the option of purchasing Sonar Platinum with lifetime upgrades for a higher price? 

I think the odds of that are zero.

You are correct. The intention of lifetime updates was to further the company. Things were still looking good at that point.

Regarding other conspiracy theories, during the time people were claiming Gibson abandoned Cakewalk's loyal users, it's now clear that Gibson was looking actively for a buyer.

BandLab will keep Sonar alive, and has committed to improving it. I appreciate that, and IMHO I think that's the extent of what they "owe" us. I welcome whatever business model they choose that will keep Sonar alive.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Gmichaelhall
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 21:23:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/03/22 23:28:00
+1000. I'm not entirely following how this migration is happening and I've not heard any assurances that, for example, I'm a Platinum user and I would hope that my access to my entire CW products account will be assured. I've taken a screenshot of the USERID number provided by BandLab, am I supposed to have a CW user number or is it all latched to my email address?
One thing I'm already skiddish of is the Facebook login option. I don't want my account within a barge poles length of that site and I don't want to be forced into using a Facebook forum group. Normally I take all this kind of stuff in stride, today I'm nervous and considering Mark Zuckerberg is the man who sold out the entire human population to upset global elections and breaches of the most fundamental privacys we are all entitled to expect, any site directing to Facebook to me is something to be extremely concerned about. Yadayadada
CK Entertainment
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 22:08:03 (permalink)
Hopefully you will honor those of us who paid for a lifetime subscription to Sonar Platinum !
Carey Kleiman BM MM DMA
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 22:16:54 (permalink)
CK Entertainment
Hopefully you will honor those of us who paid for a lifetime subscription to Sonar Platinum !
Carey Kleiman BM MM DMA

Nope. It's been discussed ad nauseam.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 23:06:02 (permalink)
I paid for lifetime updates but realized that all came to an end when Gibson dropped Sonar. I am willing to pay for continued support as long as Bandlab keeps the pricing fair. It's a new journey now and I am looking forward to the future. 

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/22 23:33:09 (permalink)
Wookiee
mister happy
Does this mean I will need a BandLab account to authorize the DAW known as SONAR?

Kind off.

If you read the email, they have said they will be running down the Cakewalk servers and transferring and linking our old Cakewalk accounts with our Bandlab accounts.

Yes I read it and it seems note worthy that it mentions previously purchased products in this context:  "...to ensure that we are able to keep track of your past purchases and ownership history...", but does not mention a circumstance where one might want to actually authorize the old products.

It also mentions this: "...Your BandLab account will be what you use to authenticate and activate the new flagship product..." but it does not provide any insights for those who may not have an interest in a new flagship product.

Curiously it emphasizes this: "it’s important that you make a BandLab account ... Please jump in and do this in the next two weeks so we can tag your Cakewalk ID to your new account as we migrate databases "

I wonder why it is so important that I sign up at Bandlab with my email of record when Cakewalk Inc. already has that info, as well as all the existing data entries about my product licenses. Why am I being asked to provide my email info before my remaining info may be migrated to a third party's website? 

Perhaps Cakewalk's Privacy Policy explains: "Cakewalk is committed to protecting the privacy of all information provided by our users. Please read the privacy policy below.

Cakewalk collects information (such as mailing and email address) about users during their registration for certain sections of our website. Cakewalk will not disclose this information to third parties (unless we are required to do so by law) and will protect this information in accordance with our strict security and confidentiality standards. Cakewalk does not offer or allow the selling of any user provided information to third parties."

It seems, to me, that I am being asked to voluntarily sign up with Bandlab because Cakewalk Inc. can not volunteer my name and email without violating its stated policy, but once I acquiesce and sign up at Bandlab with my email, then Cakewalk Inc. can easily migrate all the other info it has to the third party.

If it is the case, that in the future the only way I may authorize my existing license to Cakewalk SONAR Platinum is by volunteering my personal information to a third party such as Bandlab then the circumstance will be tantamount to a form of extortion.

If Cakewalk Inc. does not want to pay to keep its authorization server online at then it should provide an alternative to online authorization. Cakewalk's former CTO has previously indicated that this is technically possible and would be implemented should Cakewalk Inc. no longer be capable of maintaining its authorization server.   

It seems very simple. Bandlab is not Cakewalk Inc.'s new "doing business as" identity.

It is a third party that has purchased the intellectual property, but not the company, and now wants to accrue the customers. Bandlab can simply invite Cakewalk customers to become Bandlab customers, but it is being suggested by some, who seem to have interpreted Bandlab's announcements to mean that any and all authorizations of Cakewalk SONAR Platinum will be exclusively handled on Bandlab's servers, that Bandlab will be forcing Cakewalk Inc. customers to sign up without regard for personal preference. 

It seems like many people are gleefully distracted with the prospect of getting *free stuff*, and don't care to acknowledge the potential for this new sign up policy to take the form of a stiff arm tactic.

I hope to learn that a licensee of Cakewalk SONAR Platinum may authorize future installs without being forced to sign up with a third party social media website.

Thank you.

abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/22 23:57:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Geo524 2018/03/23 00:06:51
Geo524
I paid for lifetime updates but realized that all came to an end when Gibson dropped Sonar. I am willing to pay for continued support as long as Bandlab keeps the pricing fair. It's a new journey now and I am looking forward to the future. 

As a Sonar user you will be offered a free crossgrade to whatever DAW that BandLab offers.  After that, we do not know what the future holds, but anything is better than a complete shutdown as announced in November! 

doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/23 00:01:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2018/03/26 01:47:45
I'm not worried at all about my purchase of the lifetime updates.  I just setup my BandLab account and look forward to what the TDFKAS is going to look like.  I figure it will be very close to what we're used to, but it's still exciting.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/23 00:09:54 (permalink)
abacab
Geo524

As a Sonar user you will be offered a free crossgrade to whatever DAW that BandLab offers.  After that, we do not know what the future holds, but anything is better than a complete shutdown as announced in November! 

+1 Yes! It's definitely way better than a shutdown. 

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

bobbyswamp
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/23 00:21:08 (permalink)
Thanks, Meng. Just received the BandLab invite and signed up. Let's do this thing.

https://www.reverbnation.com/thegalaxies

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10
Gmichaelhall
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018] 2018/03/23 00:38:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ch.huey 2018/03/23 03:08:20
Does this mean the same thing as we will receive some manner of which to authorise the current version of SONAR that we already have in addition to the the "free cross grade"? This really needs to be clarified, I have literally hundreds of CAKEWALK SONAR projects I want to maintain access to for as long as possible [re: Authorisation codes for CW SPLAT]. I'M very interested in what BandLab rolls out as its DAW (presumably based on SPLAT),but if it does not work out for me, I will want access to my existing SPLAT knowing it will never be updated, I don't care about that. I do care about having the ability to authorise my SPLAT in the event of (eg) a cpu failure et al.
IF these 2 DAW ' are completely different from each other, some assurance that SPLAT can be authorised would be important information to be very very clear about.
I think Noel chiming in would be very helpful as well
giovanni.marsella
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 00:47:02 (permalink)
Hello. After the bad news I received for Cakewalk's death, I'm excited at the idea that this software, which we love so much, actually is not dead
abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 00:54:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ch.huey 2018/03/23 03:08:32
I think it would be good to see some clarity around the authorization procedures for legacy Cakewalk products, if the user chooses not to activate a BandLab account.

For example, what if the user gets a new PC and wants to install the old Sonar, but doesn't have a BandLab account?  How will the activation work in this case?

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 02:04:58 (permalink)
abacab
I think it would be good to see some clarity around the authorization procedures for legacy Cakewalk products, if the user chooses not to activate a BandLab account.

For example, what if the user gets a new PC and wants to install the old Sonar, but doesn't have a BandLab account?  How will the activation work in this case?

It's no longer Cakewalk. You either join Bandlab to access whatever they put in place, or you cut the ties and move on, at least that's how I'm seeing it. Bandlab will let you crossgrade to whatever the new product is for free, once.
The "legacy products" are on your CD's that you purchased years ago . . . then, when they went to the Command Center model it was all about online authorization and download . . . that site will be gone, and I haven't seen any indication that Bandlab intends to recreate the ability to download X1, X2, X3 etc . . . if you really need to have those anyways.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 02:32:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/03/23 12:17:08
1. I agree that the old working arrangement we had with the old CW/Sonar is gone. Closed. Done. Get over it.

2. The new company BandLab will let us upgrade for free to their new product. Very kind and gracious of them. If you don't want to get on board with that deal/offer, see #1 of this post.

Simple. Why read more into it.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:05:49 (permalink)
noynekker
abacab

It's no longer Cakewalk. You either join Bandlab to access whatever they put in place, or you cut the ties and move on, at least that's how I'm seeing it. Bandlab will let you crossgrade to whatever the new product is for free, once.
The "legacy products" are on your CD's that you purchased years ago . . . then, when they went to the Command Center model it was all about online authorization and download . . . that site will be gone, and I haven't seen any indication that Bandlab intends to recreate the ability to download X1, X2, X3 etc . . . if you really need to have those anyways.

That's just your interpretation. 

Noel said we could keep using the legacy products forever, and the activation servers would remain active.  If that was to change we would be provided with an offline activation method at that time.  There are multiple posts that support this fact in the forums.

Personally I could care less.  I have a BandLab account and plan to keep current.  I'm just weary of all the whining, and would like this cleared up so that my inbox doesn't get filled up with crap posts about this issue.

noynekker
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:21:07 (permalink)
abacab
noynekker
abacab

Noel said we could keep using the legacy products forever, and the activation servers would remain active.  If that was to change we would be provided with an offline activation method at that time.  There are multiple posts that support this fact in the forums.

Personally I could care less.  I have a BandLab account and plan to keep current.  I'm just weary of all the whining, and would like this cleared up so that my inbox doesn't get filled up with crap posts about this issue.

The information about keeping the servers active and providing an offline activation was before the Bandlab acquisition . . . after that moment, the game is changed, the rulers have moved.

I agree the current situation should be cleared up, but don't expect Bandlab to show the cards until after the "big announcement" . . . Glad to know you got your Bandlab account in place, it just currently makes sense.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:22:14 (permalink)
abacab

Things change.  I believe the statement you refer to was made soon after Gibson announced they were shutting Cakewalk down, and I believe Noel stated the Gibson policy to the best of his knowledge at the time.  Later Gibson sold all the Cakewalk assets to Bandlab and Mr. Kuok has made some statements that suggest Bandlab's strategy will be to offer a migration path rather than committing to keeping access to old releases alive forever. 

I would encourage everyone to simply want for the formal announcement rather than jumping to conclusions that may not be accurate.  When that comes, we will all be able to decide if we want to continue with Bandlab or do something different.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:23:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/03/23 12:19:18
noynekker
abacab
noynekker
abacab

The information about keeping the servers active and providing an offline activation was before the Bandlab acquisition . . . after that moment, the game is changed, the rulers have moved.

I agree the current situation should be cleared up, but don't expect Bandlab to show the cards until after the "big announcement" . . . Glad to know you got your Bandlab account in place, it just currently makes sense.

Noel reassured the community of the activation access AFTER he was hired by BandLab.

noynekker
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:27:26 (permalink)
Noel doesn't work for Cakewalk anymore . . . he answers to Bandlab' s wishes, let's just wait and see where it goes from here, think we're guilty of speculative thinking right now.

abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:29:21 (permalink)
noynekker
Noel doesn't work for Cakewalk anymore . . . he answers to Bandlab' s wishes, let's just wait and see where it goes from here, think we're guilty of speculative thinking right now.

I give up...SMH...

noynekker
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/23 03:31:58 (permalink)
Bonsoir from Canada

Page: << < ..2627282930 > Showing page 27 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1