Helpful ReplyI finally give up on IK Multimedia

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 07:10:57 (permalink)
I stoped with everything IK because of what the OP describes. I have much better things to waste my time on. Too bad because the products are ok. I can't be bothered with it any more. And I don't miss it.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Hatstand
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 597
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 10:13:38 (permalink)
I also think the process of jumping from Custom shop to the website and having to login to see my current purchases and Jam points a slight pain, I think it would have been better to just have jam points as a set 1=1 value instead of the whole "no more than 30%" rule. The other bugbear is having to disable all the T-Racks plugs I don't have, to stop them showing up in the plugin browser.
I had a load of ST2 stuff and the original miroslav but the miroslav upgrade price seemed a little harsh to me so did not part with any dosh for it. Finally used some of my Jam points to get enough gear credits to buy something useful with the credits I had. I am now down to 5GC and around 20JP which will probably fade into the sunset over time.
The products themselves are nice enough though so can't fault them there.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 10:16:29 (permalink)

"However, I did learn that I could save some money by going through that (somewhat confusing) process they have set up."
I like what Grem said. Though having been in sales I know you should never make it harder for people to give you their money. Have it in stock; make the sale. I only hope the IK guy doesn't argue with what he's hearing. If a certain percentage of people disposed to buy your product don't buy it or are unhappy because of a convoluted process then it's good business to try to get that percentage back in a buying mood again. It doesn't bother me with IK but I hate being a a store and the girl asks me if I have their rewards card and wants to tell me about it. This reminds me of a pretty funny time at check out. My dad was still around and he like the prunes in a glass jar and no stores around there are had them. He found a store that did have them and asked me to go there and ask for the manager and get 2 cases of stewed prunes. It didn't seem like it would be a problem but when I went through  check out with 24 bottles of stewed prunes the young girl and her young guy bagger started laughing. I tried to explain they were for my dad but I don't believe I made any converts. I walked out of that store as the most constipated person any of them had or ever would meet. In there eyes. They were for my dad. Really.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 10:33:58 (permalink)
Sure they were;-)

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 10:40:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BassDaddy 2016/03/21 16:36:10
BassDaddy

It doesn't bother me with IK but I hate being a a store and the girl asks me if I have their rewards card and wants to tell me about it. This reminds me of a pretty funny time at check out. My dad was still around and he like the prunes in a glass jar and no stores around there are had them.

IK's selling prunes? When's the Group Buy?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 11:15:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BassDaddy 2016/03/21 16:36:21
yorolpal

Sure they were;-)

Mesh

LMAO!!!
post edited by Grem - 2016/03/21 12:05:59

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Pragi
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 11:40:03 (permalink)
I have to agree the op´s criticism on Ik´s
bying and installation routines.
That already took too much hours of
my valueable freetime,sometimes that´s  labourious, specially the installation process.
But to be fair, the quality of the Fx and Vst(i)is really good (I like amplitube and the tape echo ),
the customer support quick and the prices compared to 
competitor´s OK.

post edited by Pragi - 2016/03/21 12:21:16
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 11:49:27 (permalink)
I hear your pain , but they have great products.
IK_Multimedia
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 12:05:21 (permalink)
Mesh

We have them regularly.  *rimshot*
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 12:54:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2016/03/21 13:26:22
I have to say I find the whole IK "system" convoluted and overly complicated too. You should never have to once think "what's going on here?" when purchasing something from a site. You should never find yourself in a maze of pages and logins or wonder whether or not you've actual bought something.

Too many companies go nuts with their own quirky "proprietary" purchase and installation systems and I'm sure it makes perfect sense to them over at HQ, however many of these systems just leave the customers scratching their heads and wondering whether it might just be a lot easier to buy the equivalent product from another company, one which just lets you purchase and download in a couple of clicks. Look at how many people post frustrated pleas for help in installing Waves stuff.

When claiming my free compressor from IK recently I found myself going around in circles for ages before I finally worked out how to get it. Not a good experience. And then I didn't like how it installed the whole T-Racks kaboodle in demo mode, thereby taking over the whole "T" section of my plugin list. I had to manually delete all those other plugins, not good at all.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 13:42:03 (permalink)
sharke

When claiming my free compressor from IK recently I found myself going around in circles for ages before I finally worked out how to get it. Not a good experience. And then I didn't like how it installed the whole T-Racks kaboodle in demo mode, thereby taking over the whole "T" section of my plugin list. I had to manually delete all those other plugins, not good at all.

I'm with Sharke on that one. 
And like others here, yeah, I find check out a pain. 

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 14:08:22 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
Mesh

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 14:21:19 (permalink)
sharke
I have to say I find the whole IK "system" convoluted and overly complicated too. You should never have to once think "what's going on here?" when purchasing something from a site. You should never find yourself in a maze of pages and logins or wonder whether or not you've actual bought something.

Too many companies go nuts with their own quirky "proprietary" purchase and installation systems and I'm sure it makes perfect sense to them over at HQ, however many of these systems just leave the customers scratching their heads and wondering whether it might just be a lot easier to buy the equivalent product from another company, one which just lets you purchase and download in a couple of clicks. Look at how many people post frustrated pleas for help in installing Waves stuff.

I agree.  I just installed ATI2016 yesterday.  Every time I start it, I'm presented with a login prompt so I can have access to the cloud services I'm not subscribed to.  I should've stayed with Macrium ...

Point is that it seems every software vendor wants their software to have a place of supreme prominence (along with resource consumption) as if they aren't the very minor part of my overall system that they truly are.  Delusional Software?

I like my IKM stuff, but they do make it as intrusive as possible.  Maybe they think they can agitate us into making more purchases.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

IK_Multimedia
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 14:39:07 (permalink)
You can "purchase and download in a couple of clicks" through the IK web site or Custom Shop too.  I'll relay the confusion that is reported in this thread, though, so perhaps changes can be made if necessary for the users who find it confusing having the option to click "Buy Now" on the site or "Buy" inside Custom Shop.  We made a video about using Custom Shop a while back and it still should be pertinent but I will also have HQ review that video and see if there's a way to lay it out in even more simple terms.  Thank you for the input.
BobF
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 14:45:24 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
You can "purchase and download in a couple of clicks" through the IK web site or Custom Shop too.  I'll relay the confusion that is reported in this thread, though, so perhaps changes can be made if necessary for the users who find it confusing having the option to click "Buy Now" on the site or "Buy" inside Custom Shop.  We made a video about using Custom Shop a while back and it still should be pertinent but I will also have HQ review that video and see if there's a way to lay it out in even more simple terms.  Thank you for the input.

I find this incredibly arrogant:

"... so perhaps changes can be made if necessary for the users who find it confusing having the option to click "Buy Now" on the site or "Buy" inside Custom Shop ..."

"... I will also have HQ review that video and see if there's a way to lay it out in even more simple terms ..."

Bob  --
--

IK_Multimedia
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 15:59:18 (permalink)
That wasn't the intent, I was merely stating how the processes work (as that is how you purchase gear from IK) in the same sentence as I expressed the sincere intent to relay your concerns.  I've been polite throughout the thread and accommodating to the criticism.  Sorry that certain wording offended you and that the "compacting" of my post made it read more curtly than intended and made it sound a certain way to you - it wasn't my intent as I move through many forums to post rather quickly sometimes it slips my mind that tone and such are not reflected properly via text.
IK_Multimedia
Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 16:11:27 (permalink)
Also - since the free gear deal for our 20th gear is still going on, and there was some confusion there, here are the instructions from the 20th Anniversary page and if these steps don't work, please let support know:

This giveaway is valid through March 31. To get your gear all you have to do is:
  • Launch either AmpliTube Custom ShopSampleTank Custom Shop or T-RackS Custom Shop
  • Then click on either "GEAR" or "SOUNDS" and then click "Restore my gear" or "Restore my sounds"
  • (note the "all you have to do" part is quoted from the page, and I did not write that so please do not be offended by it)
    BobF
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 16:42:44 (permalink)
    IK_Multimedia
    That wasn't the intent, I was merely stating how the processes work (as that is how you purchase gear from IK) in the same sentence as I expressed the sincere intent to relay your concerns.  I've been polite throughout the thread and accommodating to the criticism.  Sorry that certain wording offended you and that the "compacting" of my post made it read more curtly than intended and made it sound a certain way to you - it wasn't my intent as I move through many forums to post rather quickly sometimes it slips my mind that tone and such are not reflected properly via text.

Fair enough.  I do appreciate your participation here.

Bob  --
    --

Fleer
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/21 23:45:28 (permalink)
    cclarry
    IK_Multimedia
    Mesh

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 

I'm with you, L.
    Too many prunes being (t)rimmed :)

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    bigcatt
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 542
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 00:03:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2016/03/22 04:49:03
    They seem like really nice people who have business practices that just seem intended to offend.
    Let's release ST3 with terrible orchestral samples and them release Miro 2 with better samples.
    Let's do a buy one get x free and add the good instruments late in the sale to screw the people who already chose their instruments.
    Let's have several seemingly incompatible ways to buy our stuff with each having an incompatible rewards system.
    Let's have the rewards system cover 30% of the price max and not apply to sales.
    I don't think any of it is intentional and in my communications they are always civil even when I'm not, just so many strange business decisions from the consumers perspective.
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 02:30:46 (permalink)
    I have a great deal of IK stuff purchased over the years - to be honest though, much of it is getting old and I have not upgraded - partly because it still does what I want (such as my stand alone Ameg Bass package) but also the whole purchase routine / custom shop process is a pain.
    My version of Tracks is V1 I think, but I don't use this at all now. There was NEVER a proper upgrade price that I was aware of - I spent a lot of money on this when it first came out but unlike other manufacturers I never saw or was made aware of a proper upgrade offer / path.
    Amplitube is V3 I think and use it occasionally. I don't want to upgrade that as it involves the Custom Shop and I don't want my version to stop working!
    I did upgrade to Sample Tank 2 and that was mainly to allow all the other stuff like SampleMoog to work - Sample Tank 2 itself  is all a bit meh I think; I  have not really found a use for it.
    One of the main reasons I have let IK stuff "wither on the vine" is the convoluted purchasing process, so IK, here is another person who does not particularly like your current purchasing model, such as the custom shop downloading all your stuff (as described above) I hate that with UAD but their stuff is essential to me, so I tolerate it. 
    This does not mean I would never purchase another IK product, but it would have to be pretty special for me to bother.
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

Pragi
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 05:11:41 (permalink)
    sharke

Thanks Sharke,
    you exactly pionted out the flaws of IK´s ballyhoo.
    It´s a pain in the neck. 

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 09:29:57 (permalink)
    People don't have to spend money on something and they don't need to have any reason at all to hold on to it. Why give them a good reason to? I bought my first Eventide product a few weeks ago (Black hole, and I love it). I have made peace with authorizing to my computer and not an iLok. But the iLok was why I didn't buy anything before. And Waves WUP. Another offender. Why spend all the time and effort researching and developing a good or even great product and then reducing the amount of potential customers and irritating a percentage of the people who buy? Make a product too good for me to pass up; then get out of my way so I can give you my money. Do that for long enough and you get something called customer loyalty. That's the 180 of what we've been talking about.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    BobF
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 09:49:02 (permalink)
    ... and while it might be frustrating as a vendor to read this stuff, keep a couple things in mind:

1.  We're asking for change because we want to continue to be your customers
    2.  Customers are ALWAYS right

Bob  --
    --

gmon72
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1052
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 10:12:04 (permalink)
    I don't think it's that frustrating for IK. These types of complaints have been raised since they released the custom shop and at every turn they make the procedure slightly more complicated with jam points, usually higher cash prices, some products being able to be bought with gear credits, some not (new mastering product), really strange MAXX bundles that don't entice any existing customer to upgrade.

I like their products, own most of them, and personally don't have an issue with the activation etc. My biggest complaint is that the pricing is not always consistent between the various payment methods. E.g. They push gear credits and then have the cash price on sale without lowering the gear credit price. I wish they would combine the gear credit and jampoints and stick to one method.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 11:02:49 (permalink)
    Why doesn't everybody have this?

(OK, so Amazon has - no kidding - patented the 1-click button. But surely someone clever enough to invent a Stealth Limiter could also design a simplified purchase process.)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 11:28:52 (permalink)
    All these posts had me currious...

Logged into my Custom Shop account.
    Saw the deal for TRack Max upgrade ($299 minus the $77 I had in JamPoints).
    That was too good to pass up.
    No gear credits involved (that's the part that I personally don't care for)... and it was an easy checkout.
    Install was also easy... as it was one pass (one SN) of the IK Authorization Manager.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Fleer
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 12:40:31 (permalink)
    Must say that IK have the best Group Buys in the business. And Peter's a fine community manager.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 14:31:07 (permalink)
    IK_Multimedia
    Also - since the free gear deal for our 20th gear is still going on, and there was some confusion there, here are the instructions from the 20th Anniversary page and if these steps don't work, please let support know:

This giveaway is valid through March 31. To get your gear all you have to do is:

Then click on either "GEAR" or "SOUNDS" and then click "Restore my gear" or "Restore my sounds"

(note the "all you have to do" part is quoted from the page, and I did not write that so please do not be offended by it)

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgot about this. I had been wanting to pick up the Stealth Limiter. Done.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    BobF
    Re: I finally give up on IK Multimedia 2016/03/22 14:59:25 (permalink)
    Grem
    IK_Multimedia

Then click on either "GEAR" or "SOUNDS" and then click "Restore my gear" or "Restore my sounds"

(note the "all you have to do" part is quoted from the page, and I did not write that so please do not be offended by it)

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgot about this. I had been wanting to pick up the Stealth Limiter. Done.

Yeah, I grabbed the Soldano amp with this one.  I like freebies.

Bob  --
    --

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1