Helpful ReplyLockedI think my music is good enough as it is

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 18:54:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ØSkald 2018/09/18 00:50:29
                    The Wisdom Of Jamesg 1213 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 18:58:30 (permalink)
Yay! I got Meme'd! 

(you forgot the 'g' though)

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
kennywtelejazz
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 19:03:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2018/09/17 19:05:57
jamesg1213
Yay! I got Meme'd! 

(you forgot the 'g' though)

James , cool beans

thanks for pointing that out  ....i just added the g

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 19:18:52 (permalink)
Mind you, I do sound like a pompous git.

(no change there then)

Jyemz

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 19:55:53 (permalink)
Good music is in the ear of the listener Matt. If you like what you create then you've done what you intended. You can improve on it to more suit your taste if you wish or leave it as is. Everyone has an opinion and every opinion may be completely different or take a side one way or the other. What matters is if you're satisfied or the person/people you created it for accept and/or appreciate the music. Weather anyone likes or weather it's good or wanted never stopped me from attempting to make music.   I Am bayoubill!
To me it's just plain fun to do!!!!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 20:41:57 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

"Bom bom bom booooooooooom.  Bom bom bom boooooooooom."

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

You're just embarrassing yourself now, please stop.

Beethoven's 5th symphony in C minor is not a 'song', it's a 36 minute symphony. Those '4 catchy notes'  are the introduction to a major work by one of the geniuses of classical music.

They're not repeated either, they're played once then developed harmonically and thematically. I suggest you actually listen to it.

Please, don't even think about aligning your rudimentary ditties to that, it's beyond laughable.

For someone who's used to living their life by a high, professional musical standard, it might very well seem ridiculous to assume that a simple, crafted melody is all that's needed to make music good.  But imagine the casual standard of a music teacher teaching students who are complete beginners to composing.  

If a student has chosen a melody with a few notes, made it into a fully crafted tune, and this choice was something more than what some average composer plucking out any old keys would up with, then that student might get the gold star.  He might be praised by this teacher.  

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with.  To me, that's all that's needed to make music good.  Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

But just having the crafted melody itself is good enough and should be appreciated.  A professional standard would say that's not good enough and that it's nothing more than something very basic and simple.  But a casual standard would say that's good enough.  Like I said, I think this casual standard is a reasonable standard.    

Listen to Charlie Puth.  His songs are catchy, but he's kind of plain jane when it comes to PR.  Songs are an entertainment package.  You're boring like charlie puth. :(

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 21:10:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ØSkald 2018/09/18 00:52:11
"I think my music is good enough as it is" 
so why seek approval?  

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 00:23:18 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
If it's good enough for you then you should not give a flying fart what anyone else thinks.

My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love.  But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.  Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes.  I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.

Man, you've posted some ridiculous stuff on here but this one takes the proverbial cake. I'm thinking you've worn this handle out. How many have you burned through now? Four, five?

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

For example, some lame, techno music producer could choose some 4-note melody to repeat and make into a fully crafted tune.  But it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Beethoven's 4-note craft.  

I don't think I'm the equivalent of some lame composer choosing any old notes on the keyboard.  I truly think I'm making an excellent choice of notes that I have yet to make into a full craft.  These fully crafted tunes should be something very good and catchy. 

The theme in the intro of Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven is not great. It is just sounds. The gratenes of the Allegro con brio is how he uses this theme. If you learn music you hear how he twist it thought the first part. That is great music.

And if you vant go make music for others. Research what they like. Not doin that is disrespect. If you want to sell anything you make yourself, make what people want. If somebody hire you to make a metal tune for them and you give then somethin else, you wont get paid. And your not a good composer. Not even decent one.

If you show your music to others the first thing you need to do is try to understand what was suksessfull and what's not. Even the greatest composer did change their composition after feedback from the audience. Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 00:37:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/09/18 03:15:42
Mixes are never done, only surrendered.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 01:27:13 (permalink)
ØSkald
Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.

And just so SuperMarioWhatever understands who is saying this I figured I might as well post one of Oskald's compositions (sorry but I could not find your mix Oyvind and mine is rather tinny but it gets the point across).

Kjerlighet

Also I just wanted to listen to it again because it's an awesome tune.

Hope you been good, man.

kennywtelejazz
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 01:51:45 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Mind you, I do sound like a pompous git.

(no change there then)

Funny stuff huh James ,
              I happen to like messing around and doing these type of things .
              Seeing it floating on a page is like hearing a recording of your voice for the very first time .

Anyway concerning your message ,  it certainly sounds good to me

Here's a dramatic sappy hallmark style / version of one I just did  .

Oh oh what did I just do ? I think I added way too much Sugar & Spice to this one's recipe

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/09/18 02:16:21

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

SuperMarioGamer
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:17:29 (permalink)
ØSkald
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
If it's good enough for you then you should not give a flying fart what anyone else thinks.

My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love.  But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.  Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes.  I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.

Man, you've posted some ridiculous stuff on here but this one takes the proverbial cake. I'm thinking you've worn this handle out. How many have you burned through now? Four, five?

For example, some lame, techno music producer could choose some 4-note melody to repeat and make into a fully crafted tune.  But it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Beethoven's 4-note craft.  

I don't think I'm the equivalent of some lame composer choosing any old notes on the keyboard.  I truly think I'm making an excellent choice of notes that I have yet to make into a full craft.  These fully crafted tunes should be something very good and catchy. 

The theme in the intro of Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven is not great. It is just sounds. The gratenes of the Allegro con brio is how he uses this theme. If you learn music you hear how he twist it thought the first part. That is great music.

And if you vant go make music for others. Research what they like. Not doin that is disrespect. If you want to sell anything you make yourself, make what people want. If somebody hire you to make a metal tune for them and you give then somethin else, you wont get paid. And your not a good composer. Not even decent one.

If you show your music to others the first thing you need to do is try to understand what was suksessfull and what's not. Even the greatest composer did change their composition after feedback from the audience. Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.

But I heard that greatness is entirely subjective when it comes to music.  So, if a person sees one simple tune as great and catchy, then, to that person, it would be great and catchy.  But, someone who sees it as nothing good or catchy wouldn't be anything good or catchy for that person.  My point is, if I wish to create music that pleases many people, then my music would have to be fully crafted songs that meet their expectations. 

But, if I only wish to please a crowd who appreciates simple, good, catchy tunes, then I don't need to create fully crafted songs.  Any fully crafted melodies I share should be good enough.  So, for some people, that 4-note melody of Beethoven's which you said is just sound would, in fact, be good enough for some people.  Now, I will definitely consider creating fully crafted songs.  As a matter of fact, I think I will do that someday when I become a skilled and educated composer.   
post edited by SuperMarioGamer - 2018/09/18 02:41:39
Beepster
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:29:55 (permalink)
Fascinating.
ØSkald
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:40:03 (permalink)
The theme here is "ugly". Bach got it as a challenge. There is not much to build on musically. Its mostly chromatic lines. Only thing to recognize is the 4 notes with some motive like melody and the end part.

What Bach made out of this "nothing" is what makes this one of the all times greatest work in theme based music.

BWV 1079 - Musical Offering (Scrolling)

Nobody remember a catchy melody without proper context.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
ØSkald
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:44:09 (permalink)
Beepster
ØSkald
Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.

And just so SuperMarioWhatever understands who is saying this I figured I might as well post one of Oskald's compositions (sorry but I could not find your mix Oyvind and mine is rather tinny but it gets the point across).

Kjerlighet

Also I just wanted to listen to it again because it's an awesome tune.

Hope you been good, man.

Hi I'm good. Thank you.
I can send you a file of the tune.
Hope you are good and all.

SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:51:32 (permalink)
ØSkald
The theme here is "ugly". Bach got it as a challenge. There is not much to build on musically. Its mostly chromatic lines. Only thing to recognize is the 4 notes with some motive like melody and the end part.

What Bach made out of this "nothing" is what makes this one of the all times greatest work in theme based music.

BWV 1079 - Musical Offering (Scrolling)

Nobody remember a catchy melody without proper context.

But there are people out there who would embrace and appreciate simple melodies such as that 4-note melody of Beethoven's which you said was nothing more than sound.  So, some people require more than just a simple melody while others are just fine with simple melodies.  It all depends on your musical standards.  For example, friends and family might very well appreciate a very simple melody while professionals require a fully crafted song.  Friends and family have, in fact, praised and appreciated simple tunes I've made.  They sung them to themselves and thought they were good and catchy.
post edited by SuperMarioGamer - 2018/09/18 03:26:21
Beepster
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 02:59:18 (permalink)
In a way you already are a composer... of incessant jibbering.

You kind of suck at that too though.

Sad. Low energy.
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 03:24:43 (permalink)
Beepster

Sad. Low energy.

Friends and family have, in fact, praised and appreciated simple tunes I've made.  They sung them to themselves and thought they were good and catchy.  So, what I'm saying is not 'incessant jibbering.'
ØSkald
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 06:59:48 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster

Sad. Low energy.

Friends and family have, in fact, praised and appreciated simple tunes I've made.  They sung them to themselves and thought they were good and catchy.  So, what I'm saying is not 'incessant jibbering.'

I made you this song.
The melody is easy but really catchy...
https://soundcloud.com/oy...beethoven-5-sym-repeat

SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 14:17:58 (permalink)
But you forgot to repeat the melody at the lower octave to make it complete.  After all, that's what conveys the greatness and catchiness of Beethoven's melody (along with, of course, having chords and whatnot to go along with that melody).  When I create melodies, I usually don't have just one simple melody like that.  There's a bit more to my melodies.  So, my melodies are complete and that's why they convey greatness and catchiness to my friends and family.  Also, just so you know, some of my melodies have more than just 4 repeated notes to them.

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 15:34:59 (permalink)
Well let's keep in mind that SuperMarioGamer said he was autistic in a previous post, so either that was him playing games or he's actually autistic, which could explain this disconnect between emotion and music and how it just seems to escape his understanding.  

Or he could be having fun with this personality and driving us all nuts...

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
ØSkald
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 15:55:28 (permalink)
Voda La Void
Well let's keep in mind that SuperMarioGamer said he was autistic in a previous post, so either that was him playing games or he's actually autistic, which could explain this disconnect between emotion and music and how it just seems to escape his understanding.  

Or he could be having fun with this personality and driving us all nuts...

Good point.

jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 17:47:06 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
But you forgot to repeat the melody at the lower octave to make it complete.  After all, that's what conveys the greatness and catchiness of Beethoven's melody (along with, of course, having chords and whatnot to go along with that melody).  When I create melodies, I usually don't have just one simple melody like that.  There's a bit more to my melodies.  So, my melodies are complete and that's why they convey greatness and catchiness to my friends and family.  Also, just so you know, some of my melodies have more than just 4 repeated notes to them.

Well there you are then. You've done it. You're better than Beethoven. No need to write anything else. Forget any chords and 'whatnots', don't need any of that.

You're not deaf as well are you?

Jyemz

SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 17:57:44 (permalink)
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

Well there you are then. You've done it. You're better than Beethoven. No need to write anything else. Forget any chords and 'whatnots', don't need any of that.

You're not deaf as well are you?

I'm not saying my simple tunes are as great as a fully crafted symphony by Beethoven.  So, I'm not saying I'm as great or better than Beethoven.  I'm simply saying I'm the equivalent of a professional musical artist (even Beethoven) choosing simple, good, catchy melodies.  I have added chords and whatnot to some of my tunes though. 

However, some people might actually get the melodies I'm trying to convey without any chords and whatnot.  For example, I think people would definitely get that repeated 4-note melody of Beethoven's, its greatness, and catchiness even without anything else to that melody.  Lastly, I'm not deaf.
post edited by SuperMarioGamer - 2018/09/18 18:27:11
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:05:51 (permalink)
" I'm simply saying that my tunes would be the equivalent of a professional musical artist (even Beethoven) choosing simple, good, catchy melodies."

SuperMarioGamer - Are your tunes posted somewhere I can enjoy them? Please post a site to visit 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:26:25 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
 I have added chords and whatnot to some of my tunes though. 

I'm interested in this 'whatnot' you keep mentioning. Can you be more specific?

Jyemz

SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:35:44 (permalink)
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

I should have said "Chords and a beat" rather than "Chords and whatnot."
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:44:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2018/09/18 19:06:49

"I don't get it"
   ~ Straummy (2006-2018)

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

ØSkald
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:50:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/09/19 18:40:56
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

I should have said "Chords and a beat" rather than "Chords and whatnot."

SuperMarioGamer.

Show me great music with 4 note melody.
Do you have any example of this great art?

The Beethoven one is not 4 notes. just the motive are. And the greatness is not the motive but how he uses it throughout. Like the part right after it is played 6 times in upwards motion and released with a extended version of the motive. That is just the 6 bars inn. How he uses the motive here is what makes it great.

Over simplified example of the motive in use on the first page of the score:

post edited by ØSkald - 2018/09/18 19:14:53

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/18 18:51:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/09/19 18:41:02
SteveStrummerUK

"I don't get it"
   ~ Straummy (2006-2018)

What's not to get.

HTH 

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys