Helpful ReplyLockedI think my music is good enough as it is

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
SuperMarioGamer
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
2018/09/16 18:42:57 (permalink)

I think my music is good enough as it is

Pointing out the flaws and helping me improve my craft is a great idea. But, just because there are flaws shouldn't all of a sudden deem my music as nothing great and catchy. For example, I could take a powerful portion of a song by Michael Jackson, repeat it to drag it on for too long, and I could add some flaws to it such as crackles, pops, and make it low quality sound.

Even though it's just a short tune of MJ's music, isn't a full song, and has many flaws, it would still be great, catchy, and would still convey powerful, memorable, profound emotion. Even if MJ himself created just a short tune with some flaws and shared that, it would still be great.

This is what I mean here when I say that people need to appreciate the greatness and catchiness of music because I should be able to share short tunes that have flaws and still have them deemed as great, catchy tunes. Making a fully crafted, flawless song would, therefore, be something completely optional.

Sure, making a full song without flaws would make my music much better. But it's optional and isn't necessary to make my music great. As long as my music meets the minimal requirements to convey its greatness and catchiness, then that should be good enough for my music to be great and catchy.
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 18:58:23 (permalink)
It's not a case of 'flaws', it's the fact that your music (at least that which you've shared here) isn't 'great', or 'catchy', it's rudimentary. That's not a 'flaw', it just means you've barely started. Get on with learning some music theory, then write a proper melody.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 19:03:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ØSkald 2018/09/17 23:59:45
If it's good enough for you then you should not give a flying fart what anyone else thinks.
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 19:04:03 (permalink)
jamesg1213
It's not a case of 'flaws', it's the fact that your music (at least that which you've shared here) isn't 'great', or 'catchy', it's rudimentary. That's not a 'flaw', it just means you've barely started. Get on with learning some music theory, then write a proper melody.

There are many basic, simple tunes out there that are great and catchy though.  So, just because my tunes are rudimentary doesn't mean they're not great and catchy.
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 19:13:06 (permalink)
Beepster
If it's good enough for you then you should not give a flying fart what anyone else thinks.

My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love.  But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.  Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes.  I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.
jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 19:21:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/09/18 03:07:35
So you want the entire world to adapt to your view of what's 'great' then, so you don't have to put in any effort to get there.

Call me cynical, but I suspect that may not happen.

Jyemz

Beepster
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/16 19:26:05 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster

My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love.  But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.  Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes.  I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.

Man, you've posted some ridiculous stuff on here but this one takes the proverbial cake. I'm thinking you've worn this handle out. How many have you burned through now? Four, five?
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 02:05:34 (permalink)
Beepster
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster

Man, you've posted some ridiculous stuff on here but this one takes the proverbial cake. I'm thinking you've worn this handle out. How many have you burned through now? Four, five?

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

"Bom bom bom booooooooooom.  Bom bom bom boooooooooom."

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

For example, some lame, techno music producer could choose some 4-note melody to repeat and make into a fully crafted tune.  But it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Beethoven's 4-note craft.  

I don't think I'm the equivalent of some lame composer choosing any old notes on the keyboard.  I truly think I'm making an excellent choice of notes that I have yet to make into a full craft.  These fully crafted tunes should be something very good and catchy. 
Beepster
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 02:44:06 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer
Let me try to illustrate my point here.

How about you don't and say you didn't?

SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 02:47:57 (permalink)
Beepster
SuperMarioGamer
Let me try to illustrate my point here.

How about you don't and say you didn't?

Fine.  If you don't want to read what I just said, then don't.  If you ever change your mind though, then fully read and respond to it.
Beepster
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 03:10:21 (permalink)
There is nothing to respond to in that post. It's ridiculous.
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 03:12:20 (permalink)
Beepster

You could at least give a response as to why you think it's ridiculous.
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 03:36:34 (permalink)
Beepster

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  If people just had that 4-note melody of Beethoven's song to listen to, then they would find themselves excited and really wanting to listen to more of the song.  The very fact that they are excited to begin with just shows that this 4-note craft was something great by itself. 

It would be no different than if someone was putting on an amazing light show, but only shared a very brief performance of his/her act.  Just because it was a very brief performance doesn't mean it was nothing great.  It was simply a brief demonstration of greatness that gets people excited to want to witness the full act.  But that brief demonstration can still be appreciated since it was still something great and beautiful.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 04:01:33 (permalink)

Even a Polar Bear in The North Pole Knows this is not the way too treat your only listener

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/09/17 06:30:22

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 04:16:13 (permalink)

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 10:46:10 (permalink)
SuperMarioGamer

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

You're just embarrassing yourself now, please stop.

Beethoven's 5th symphony in C minor is not a 'song', it's a 36 minute symphony. Those '4 catchy notes'  are the introduction to a major work by one of the geniuses of classical music.

They're not repeated either, they're played once then developed harmonically and thematically. I suggest you actually listen to it.

Please, don't even think about aligning your rudimentary ditties to that, it's beyond laughable.

Jyemz

SysExJohn
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 11:59:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2018/09/17 12:09:11

Q.E.D.

Finale 2012c, Sonar 7 PE, EMU-02+1616m, CFX lite, GPO4, IO, GCPO, JABB3, COMB2, Harps, World, GPO5.
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 12:21:09 (permalink)
You're not Beethoven.

Byron Dickens
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 12:29:48 (permalink)
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

You're just embarrassing yourself now, please stop.

Beethoven's 5th symphony in C minor is not a 'song', it's a 36 minute symphony. Those '4 catchy notes'  are the introduction to a major work by one of the geniuses of classical music.

They're not repeated either, they're played once then developed harmonically and thematically. I suggest you actually listen to it.

Please, don't even think about aligning your rudimentary ditties to that, it's beyond laughable.

For someone who's used to living their life by a high, professional musical standard, it might very well seem ridiculous to assume that a simple, crafted melody is all that's needed to make music good.  But imagine the casual standard of a music teacher teaching students who are complete beginners to composing.  

If a student has chosen a melody with a few notes, made it into a fully crafted tune, and this choice was something more than what some average composer plucking out any old keys would up with, then that student might get the gold star.  He might be praised by this teacher.  

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with.  To me, that's all that's needed to make music good.  Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

But just having the crafted melody itself is good enough and should be appreciated.  A professional standard would say that's not good enough and that it's nothing more than something very basic and simple.  But a casual standard would say that's good enough.  Like I said, I think this casual standard is a reasonable standard.    

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 12:41:10 (permalink)
Who let this guy back out...
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 12:53:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/09/17 13:10:05
SuperMarioGamer

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with...

Actually, any lame composer could have come up with exactly that 4 note melody.

SuperMarioGamer
... To me, that's all that's needed to make music good. 

No, it's what's needed to START making good music...

SuperMarioGamer
Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

Making it into a fully crafted song IS the the thing that distinguishes lame composers with good ones. It's not that it "would be much better" it's what is required to make it anything.

Anyone can come up with a short melody, but developing it into a full song or symphony is the art of writing music, and where all the hard work lies.

I wonder if Beethoven hadn't bothered writing the rest of his symphony, whether people would even take notice of those 4 notes? I suspect it's because those 4 notes reminds them of what comes next, is what makes it good, not the 4 notes on their own.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
SuperMarioGamer
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 13:22:18 (permalink)
msmcleod
SuperMarioGamer

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with...

Actually, any lame composer could have come up with exactly that 4 note melody.

SuperMarioGamer
... To me, that's all that's needed to make music good. 

No, it's what's needed to START making good music...

SuperMarioGamer
Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

Making it into a fully crafted song IS the the thing that distinguishes lame composers with good ones. It's not that it "would be much better" it's what is required to make it anything.

Anyone can come up with a short melody, but developing it into a full song or symphony is the art of writing music, and where all the hard work lies.

I wonder if Beethoven hadn't bothered writing the rest of his symphony, whether people would even take notice of those 4 notes? I suspect it's because those 4 notes reminds them of what comes next, is what makes it good, not the 4 notes on their own.

Then you might as well say that a short, powerful portion of one of Michael Jackson's songs is something lame and would make MJ a lame composer if he only composed that and shared it.  I personally do not agree with this.  I think making a fully crafted song is akin to having condiments on a cake.  The condiments would certainly make the cake much better.  But the cake itself with the frosting is good the way it is.
jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 13:37:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ØSkald 2018/09/18 00:47:32
All you're presenting is argument to excuse your own laziness. Writing music takes effort, talent and time. If you're not prepared to put in the effort, you'll produce nothing of any worth, and no-one is going to 'lower their standards' to pat you on the back for it.

Jyemz

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 13:56:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/09/18 18:32:45

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 16:29:54 (permalink)
What music is good enough? I don't see any links to check out. I miss out on everything 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 16:48:45 (permalink)
bayoubill
What music is good enough? I don't see any links to check out. I miss out on everything 

Jyemz

Mesh
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 17:14:13 (permalink)
.....and if you really want to be transcended into a different dimension:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/My-composing-dream-m3778662.aspx

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 17:14:47 (permalink)
hmmm
Is this the music of which this fred is aboot?

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Mesh
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 17:25:22 (permalink)
It's about some groovy 4 notes maaan, you dig....

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
jamesg1213
Re: I think my music is good enough as it is 2018/09/17 17:49:32 (permalink)
bayoubill
hmmm
Is this the music of which this fred is aboot?

Yup. Apparently it's 'good enough'.

Jyemz

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1