JABB deal for Sonar

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 03:13:54 (permalink)
I have an Akai breath controller (EWI) that is supposed to work with the Aria player but I can not get the modulation to work with it.

Lorney - I use a breath controller often too (though mine is a Yamaha).  What I think MAY be the problem for you is the the BC uses CC#2 (by default) and many plugins don't seem to recognize that.  

SO what I did was create a MIDI FX (actually it's from Tencrazy.com) that converts CC2 to CC7 (volume).   It works just as well and mitigates the controller problem.

Maybe that info will be of some help to you.   I never tried CC2 in the Aria Player since I have this working method at my disposal I just use it that way.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
birdg735
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 03:14:13 (permalink)
Well said!
- B
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 03:16:10 (permalink)
birdg735

Well said!
- B

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

lorneyb2
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1667
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 03:47:35 (permalink)
I can get the volume control to work quit well. It is the CC1 modulation for vibrato that I can not get to work.  When I watched the demo for it they seemed to be able to accomplish it with ease.  I can't.  Maybe Ive got a dud.

The other thing I don't like about it is the low airflow through it.  I normally play a tenor sax but now do a lot of soprano that has a much lower airflow rate than on the tenor.  I find I end up with a headache within about 10 minutes due to the lack of airflow and back pressure.  With the soprano I learned to dump the surplus air through my nose while playing but find with the Akai that that method produces a detectable variance in the velocities so I find myself having to do a lot of mouse editing on the velocities to even it out.

The other possibility is that I did most of my experimenting with the Aria player which I really don't have any fondness for. I assumed that because that is what came with the Akai that it should be well matched for it.  Maybe that is where I have gone wrong.
voclizr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 04:35:12 (permalink)
All's fine and well, but you're tying me in with alexisreal.  Go back and read the entire thread.  I made no comment on the Dimension Pro.  I also was not the one who questioned your knowledge of dealing with programs like JABB.

JB
post edited by voclizr - 2010/10/29 04:49:08
voclizr
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 04:47:49 (permalink)
double post. sorry.
post edited by voclizr - 2010/10/29 04:49:39
alexisrael
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 07:31:13 (permalink)
...I would certainly not blame Stradivary for selling so bad violins through Cakewalk Web sites. 

I would certainly not say Paganini violin arias are so awful that I would neither buy nor recommend others to buy the instrument at a deal price Cakewalk managed to have with a Dimension ProTime machine ))) 

I even won't blame myself that during my childhood I spent 7 years in music violin school and succeeded to master just 5 Grades. Yes, for two years I remained in the same Grade. I mastered not to make my mom dissapointed by covering with the whatman paper my diary, however)))

I will either sample Paganini playing Stradivary, or learn myself to approximate his PRO experience. I will do both! I know I won't be a Stradivary, but I know everything is possible and depends just on me, not others. I won't complain to other crying boys around, and won't ask them to express belief in me. Just because I believe in myself by myself. This is the only thing Communism teached me about.

Here is my Surround sound virtually made in Abbey Road Studio 1 while at my house at the Holy Land. This was my Music recording Grade 1 lab work, necessary for graduation. 

Well, I wish I hear some authentic Abbey Road 1 recording. Materials and Methods are free tools from Cakewalk plus latest upgrade to Producer (actually not needed much for this type surround project). I also employed some science math and physics class calculations of Abbey Road acoustic measures, and... love. This is first item to mention! 

Now I am in Grade 2, yes, I just started Grade 2 of my music recording, Having Preschool and Grade One accomplished in just a year.

No comments please, I don't need them. I love my music, and know I am improving with every song. My music is also private and is for those few of planet Earth who I love. 

Smiling and wishing you be happy!

Here is the link to 4 formats surround sound, stereo mix (not a surround downmix) is also provided, I recommend 6 channel WAVE, item #4 in the list of subfolders. My song in Russian "We will die on one day, no, we won't die, we'll live and love each other forever" is on melody of John Lennon "Grown old together", a kind of my gift on John's 70th Birthday:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByGGk5USZEmVMjVkMmUzZTQtZmMyNi00OTk3LThlOTAtNTU0M2E3ZWM3NTM0&hl=en

P.S. I think it would be great JABB3 has several provided MIDI and associated WAV/mp3 files, so, every customer can open MIDI file in ARIA player and use provided jazz ensembles to make a comparison of his/her system sound with the sound by JABB developers
post edited by alexisrael - 2010/10/29 07:55:52
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 11:23:31 (permalink)
voclizr

All's fine and well, but you're tying me in with alexisreal.  Go back and read the entire thread.  I made no comment on the Dimension Pro.  I also was not the one who questioned your knowledge of dealing with programs like JABB.

JB
Jb,

I deeply and humbly apologize for mistaking you with the other poster.  My sincerest apology for that. 

Just goes to show that one should be careful replying at 3 or 4am after recording for 8 hours lol.

So sorry.

BA

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 11:26:30 (permalink)
The other possibility is that I did most of my experimenting with the Aria player which I really don't have any fondness for. I assumed that because that is what came with the Akai that it should be well matched for it. Maybe that is where I have gone wrong.

I'm not really a fan or the ARIA player or the EastWest PLAY.   They look fancy but aren't as function as I would like.

BTW, maybe there's a setting on the EW for which CC messages get sent?   Like a configuration perhaps?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 11:45:57 (permalink)
voclizr

Billy is the wrong guy to accuse of inexperience or unjustified "complaining". 

Does this mean that his is the only opinion that matters here then?
I LIKE JABB.  Does that make ME wrong?  Or does it just mean I don't know what "good" is?
John, I think your quoting my response to Alex here is what made Billy confuse your comments with his. I did, too when I first glanced at it. Your opinion is valid and welcome. Alex's ad hominem comments were not. And he was factually mistaken about issues with Dim Pro, so I felt obliged to point out that he was tossing barbs from an unstable platform.

Welcome to the forum, in any case. I liked your composition a lot. Vocals a little pitchy, and the horns would benefit from some volume/modulation control (I'm guilty of omitting that, myself), but overall very cool. It has a distinct Steely Dan vibe, and I love those guys.

Here's hoping we can all get back to a constructive exchange from here. I'm still considering trying JABB. It's clearly better than anything else I have in my arsenal, now, and has enough positive reviews that I can't see being too disappointed for $80.

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/10/29 11:49:07
voclizr
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/29 23:48:56 (permalink)
That's my whole point.  I'm not saying that Billy's wrong for saying that JABB doesn't sound real.  He is correct, but for $80.00 how much "realistic" do you want?  

I don't know my way around these emodicons so;
SMILIEY!!

ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 00:18:10 (permalink)
voclizr

That's my whole point.  I'm not saying that Billy's wrong for saying that JABB doesn't sound real.  He is correct, but for $80.00 how much "realistic" do you want?  

I don't know my way around these emodicons so;
SMILIEY!!
I'll add that for 80 bucks, I agree with you.  It's actually a steal in that regard.   But if you're going to do very serious work, I'm not sure it's the 'thing'.

But to each his/her own, of course.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 00:19:14 (permalink)
jungfriend

Hi Glyn,
The Indigenous samples sounded great! Unfortunately they didn't demo any of the Silvertone Nylon String guitar, but it appears they understand the way a guitar sounds and the mute layer really works. I wasn't as impressed with the Lyrical distortion demos, but I think it's because they sounded like a keyboard player trying to play guitar on his keyboard. Now I know that is exactly what was going on, and they would probably sound totally different with a guitar as the midi controller. 
Paul, you can get the Nylon guitar from the Chris Hein Guitars (kontakt) collection by itself as a download at soundsondemand for 75EUR:

http://www.soundsondemand.com/sort1.asp/best_service_chris_hein/en/3

Check out the demos... sounds like... er... a nylon acoustic guitar. The individual instrument downloads come with a serial and are registered/loaded in the free Kontakt player. Each additional instrument from that library is an "add-on", so a bit cheaper.
voclizr
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 00:36:50 (permalink)
Oh, brundlefly!  Thanks for the welcome and the kind words regarding my song.
Somebody on the Northernsongs forum suggested I layer the brass for a fuller sound.  I'll try that next time.  I know what you mean about the volume/modulation thing.   Billy-Apology accepted.-I agree.  I make my music just for the fun of it.  If I was going to do anything serious I'd probably cough up another $350.00 for the Chris Hein collection.  Now, THAT's some nice brass sounds!
JB

post edited by voclizr - 2010/10/30 01:58:28
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 03:58:22 (permalink)
keith

Paul, you can get the Nylon guitar from the Chris Hein Guitars (kontakt) collection by itself as a download at soundsondemand for 75EUR: .
There is more on the Indiginus acoustic guitarsand the latest update here http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2114536

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
keith
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 10:28:43 (permalink)
Indiginus sounds really good. Gonna have to grab that this morning. Great price for us kontakt kroniks. Can't have too many quality guitar libs, that's what I always say... and bass libs... and pianos... and drums... and...

OrangeTree has an acoustic coming out soon as well. I think it'll be one steel string, not a collection, though.
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 17:27:07 (permalink)
keith

Indiginus sounds really good. Gonna have to grab that this morning. Great price for us kontakt kroniks. Can't have too many quality guitar libs, that's what I always say... and bass libs... and pianos... and drums... and...

OrangeTree has an acoustic coming out soon as well. I think it'll be one steel string, not a collection, though.

Keith and Glyn,

Those CH Guitars do sound pretty good. And are quite reasonably priced.   Thanks for the info about them.

BTW, I have the OrangeTree electric guitars and really like them.  Have used them a lot and they are very playable - so it'll be interesting to see what they come out with for acoustics.

Greg (OrangeTree) does great support as well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

keith
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 22:21:41 (permalink)
ba_midi

Those CH Guitars do sound pretty good. And are quite reasonably priced.   Thanks for the info about them. 
You can get the full CHG library as well, of course -- should be quite a bit cheaper than the individual instruments. At least with soundsondemand if you only want/need one or two instruments it's an option with the CH libs and some others. Plus the option to download an entire mega library is nice, if you have the pipe for it. I was enamored with the CH nylon, banjo, and mandolin myself, but not totally sold on the others from that library. His horn collection is another matter. His bass library is pretty good too, on the whole. Hard to beat EEG/Strawberry for electric though... hopefully a monster LP at some point with all that advanced jiggerypokery that Greg likes to put in his products...

ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/30 23:07:18 (permalink)
keith

ba_midi

You can get the full CHG library as well, of course -- should be quite a bit cheaper than the individual instruments. At least with soundsondemand if you only want/need one or two instruments it's an option with the CH libs and some others. Plus the option to download an entire mega library is nice, if you have the pipe for it. I was enamored with the CH nylon, banjo, and mandolin myself, but not totally sold on the others from that library. His horn collection is another matter. His bass library is pretty good too, on the whole. Hard to beat EEG/Strawberry for electric though... hopefully a monster LP at some point with all that advanced jiggerypokery that Greg likes to put in his products...

The nylon sounded decent but the steel string sounded too much like the nylon lol.  Dim Pro has some decent 'samples'in that area, but there's no keyswitching or other tricks to use them other than in straight playing mode.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

noiseboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 04:06:45 (permalink)
Just thought I'd chime in to say that in my experience, with the exception of the human voice singing actual words, big band brass is the hardest thing to pull off with samples currently.  IMHO orchestras are a piece of cake in comparison.  I don't really know quite why it is so hard... I've heard some theories about complex interplay with phase and all sorts, but I'm not convinced.  I just don't know.

I've heard the samplemodelling demos, the VIR2 demos, and the only one that to me has ever sounded like a real section, depressingly, is Broadway Big Band - which I eventually went for in a sale but still cost the earth.  Even BBB isn't perfect, but it's by a long way the closest you can get for now.  I do know it took them a year to record it.  I should add that samplemodelling's solo instruments sound terrific, but something goes wrong when you ramp up to sections.

In the meantime, I think that some of the yellow tools stuff sounds pretty damn good (I think there's a really good deal on there at the moment), and bits of the Kontakt lib sound ok... the Kontkat Sax and Brass soundpack is another budget offering that has a bit of useful stuff.  I'd look at those two ahead of Garritan for a good starter product.
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 16:31:44 (permalink)
noiseboy

Just thought I'd chime in to say that in my experience, with the exception of the human voice singing actual words, big band brass is the hardest thing to pull off with samples currently.  IMHO orchestras are a piece of cake in comparison.  I don't really know quite why it is so hard... I've heard some theories about complex interplay with phase and all sorts, but I'm not convinced.  I just don't know.

I've heard the samplemodelling demos, the VIR2 demos, and the only one that to me has ever sounded like a real section, depressingly, is Broadway Big Band - which I eventually went for in a sale but still cost the earth.  Even BBB isn't perfect, but it's by a long way the closest you can get for now.  I do know it took them a year to record it.  I should add that samplemodelling's solo instruments sound terrific, but something goes wrong when you ramp up to sections.

In the meantime, I think that some of the yellow tools stuff sounds pretty damn good (I think there's a really good deal on there at the moment), and bits of the Kontakt lib sound ok... the Kontkat Sax and Brass soundpack is another budget offering that has a bit of useful stuff.  I'd look at those two ahead of Garritan for a good starter product.

I think one thing that makes it harder to create a realistic brass section is that players literally play differently in an ensemble.   So if the individual samples aren't approach in that manner, it can't possibly sound too real imho.

String sections, for example never play "exactly" in tune with each other since they are not "fretted" instruments.   That gives a 'section' a wider quality harmonically.   In most string sample sets the user is generally offered combinations of solo samples and sectional samples -- ie, a group of players; and they are recorded that way.

I think it's harder to record solo brass because single note samples may not reflect the nature of the instrument.  Just like some saxes have a very different tonal quality in their low registers - and dependent on the dynamics (how hard or soft they blow), I think it's difficult to capture that unless it's approach like string samples where the user is given many choices via keyswitches or just samplesets.

This is another reason JABB isn't working for me.  The samples are too plain, generally.  Many sound as if they only sample either the initial 'attack' OR just the sustain portions.   That isn't going to work out well in a real arrangement.
And it's also why I felt the samples were a bit cheesy sounding.  

I'm not familiar with BBB, but I've heard it mentioned many times.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 18:20:52 (permalink)
bitflipper

I heard a piece that Randy Bowser did with JABB and was quite impressed with the authenticity of articulations. He did comment that there had been a learning curve, though.

I've only been back from Moscow for a few days - I flew there to see the premiere of my stage musical, "Dorian Gray"--what a fabulous time I had!  But the internet connection was extremely touch-and-go where I was staying, so I couldn't keep up with the Forum.

Now that I'm here (still extremely jet-lagged-aaargh) this thread caught my attention since I use all the Garritan Libraries, in fact they're my primary instruments.

It's not the first time I've read a post from a new JABB user who is frustrated by it.  We can only conclude that there is something about the library which makes it tricky for some folks.  I'd used GPO for a long time before I had JABB, and I'm sure that helped me understand what to do with JABB to make the instruments work to my satisfaction.  As said on this thread, a generous use of CCs is essential.  That's really the bottom line.  The volume needs to be in constant flux, and I mean literally Always varying, and of course vibrato depth and speed can't be neglected on sustained notes.  Quantization has to be totally avoided or the dreaded kazoo-like organ effect will emerge.

I appreciate Bitflipper's post here about liking the demo I posted when he was expressing interest in getting JABB.  I think it was my instrumental of "Honeypie" by The Beatles.  I'm satisfied enough with the sound of that project, and as per what I said above, it wasn't so much that a learning curve was involved, I just used my controllers, the way I'd learned to do with GPO.

An instructional thing to do is import a jazz track that features the instruments in JABB one wants to use.  Then layer in MIDI tracks emulating what you hear on the live track.  You'll quickly discover how extreme the dynamics can be when jazz musicians play their instruments.  You may very well realize that you've been far too sparing and subtle in your use of CC1 for volume control.  A real sax line will vary from a bare whisper to a full on loud growl in the span of one short phrase.  Referring to the info on the available CCs, and using many layers of MIDI control, you can make those JABB instruments sound more than just acceptable. 

This library is one I think of especially when I go into my mantra about how virtual instruments really can't sound exciting straight out of the box - and the ones that do sound great without much effort end up being too limited in their usefulness.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 19:01:36 (permalink)
Randy,

My comments about your piece are the exception.  Your work definitely has a quality to it, and you do get the most out of your tools in that regard.

I've been a long time GPO user as well, btw - and have used their strings on many tracks over a long period of time, so I'm used to their performance techniques.   Using JABB is not hard in that regard.  My sole concern is simply the quality of the samples - irrespective of the technique employed.

It's just an opinion, and my opinion, of course.  I'll reiterate that for 80 bucks it's probably a good deal as an add-on to one's musical arsenal.   I just can't seeing my go-to brass, but possibly using it as a layer.

I think it's normal that when one person expresses a negative opinon about something another person finds useful, it's going to create some tension (perhaps a lot).   But I also think it's important to share our feelings and experience with and about products being marketed to us.   Marketing has taken on such a misleading attitude over the last few years that we need to offer balance.    It's easy to say something is great in ads or other marketing outlets; but actual user reviews (ie., ones without an interest in the profits of the company/product) are just as valuable, if not more so.

Anyway - welcome back - I hope the performance went well for your music!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rbowser
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 22:06:01 (permalink)
Hi, Billy - Thanks for responding about my show.  It's an incredible time for me, a peak experience.  It's the professional world premiere of my stage musical, in exotic, far off Russia - a development I never would have predicted just a couple of years ago.  I'm grateful to "HAIR" producer Michael Butler for taking on my show and getting it to Russian rock star Stas Namin who has now produced it in Moscow.  Next step is an American pro production in the wake of this Russian success. 

re: JABB - No worries about "tensions," not from me anyway.  Like I said, this certainly isn't the first time I've read a post from someone who was disappointed with the library.  I suspect that most bad reactions come from people who are just running through the instrument list and triggering single notes with the GUI's keyboard, rather than actually playing the instruments, and making use of a reverb, since JABB's samples are dry like those of GPO.  

But I know someone like you wouldn't rely on tests as simple as just hitting a note and listening to the sample.  That would mean hearing saxes with no vibrato, for one thing, and without vibrato, no sax sample is going to sound right.

Naturally I don't know why you don't like the library, but I doubt if I could offer you any handling tips you're not already aware of.  Thanks for the kind words about my efforts, but I've heard stellar tracks from advanced jazz arrangers using JABB which are amazing, and would satisfy anyone's ear.  To me, those are the proof of what a great library set JABB is.  Its sound just doesn't leap out of the box - that's really all I can say.

Randy B.
post edited by rbowser - 2010/10/31 22:11:58

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
ba_midi
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 22:27:37 (permalink)
Naturally I don't know why you don't like the library, but I doubt if I could offer you any handling tips you're not already aware of. Thanks for the kind words about my efforts, but I've heard stellar tracks from advanced jazz arrangers using JABB which are amazing, and would satisfy anyone's ear. To me, those are the proof of what a great library set JABB is. Its sound just doesn't leap out of the box - that's really all I can say. Randy B.

I think when we hear really great arrangements/music done with, at minimum, a good performance -- we may not 'hear' the samples in the same way.  Just like hearing old records, as an example.   If the music is great, the recording quality is not as important to the ears.

But to some extent, the basic elements in a sample library should have some distinct and identifiable realism.  Every instrument has some characteristics that must be produced in order to be even close a real sound.   This is where I found the JABB library lacking, for my needs that is.

Getting back to your work -- I think it's wonderful that it's taken on a life of its own now -- I know you've worked very very hard on it, and I expect you'll be continuing to give us all lots more good news regarding it as time goes on.   It speaks well of your talent and of your persistence!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rbowser
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/10/31 23:09:23 (permalink)
ba_midi

...Getting back to your work -- I think it's wonderful that it's taken on a life of its own now -- I know you've worked very very hard on it, and I expect you'll be continuing to give us all lots more good news regarding it as time goes on.   It speaks well of your talent and of your persistence!

Thanks much, Billy.  "Dorian" is The most prolonged project of my life.  It's great that now in the relatively short span of two years, it's being produced and entertaining audiences.  It's all a show biz roller coaster, so there's no way to know for sure what will happen next, but things are in the works.  This Russian production is certainly a Huge step forward for me and the show.

As for JABB and samples in general, we certainly agree that the most critical element in a recording is the music, and by that I mean the composition, the instrumentation, and the arrangement.  And in my experience, the more pre-produced and slick samples sound out of the box, the less versatile they are.  JABB has what I think is very intelligent, clever programming so the user can mold the sounds in custom ways appropriate for their music.  It's not a "sexy" library, but it's one that can sound great precisely because of the generic quality of the solidly recorded samples.

Disclaimer - I am Not paid by the Garritan corp!  I'm just a very enthusiastic Garritan Library user.  My projects use GPO, JABB, CoMB (Concert and Marching Band), The Authorized Steinway, The Strad, and the Gofriller Cello.  A sprinkling of other sources are used when needed, but I'm very content with my core instruments, and they're all from Garritan.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
alexisrael
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/11/01 03:37:07 (permalink)
Randy, I found your post (#82) very helpful, thanks a lot.

Congratulations on Dorian, I wish you and your show a continuos success! 

Could you please point me to your instrumental of Honeypie, I have 80+ original Russian songs on Beatles melodies (that I just start recording, with first album of 26 assembled, listed here http://music.israelscholar.org/1 ), and will be happy to hear other people processing of melodies by the Beatles.
voclizr
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/11/01 08:20:27 (permalink)
Randy;
Clean out your inbox.  I sent you a PM!

JB
rbowser
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/11/01 08:44:43 (permalink)
Alexis - Your reply is perfect timing.  Just yesterday I saw another post from you and have planned to write to you today.  I understand that you live in Russia? - I'll send you a PM after answering your post on this thread.

Here's the recording of mine mentioned on this thread:

HONEY PIE

During the intro section, I added scratchy vinyl effects as well as a thinned out tinny sounding EQ, as if we're hearing an old 78 RPM record.  Then the sound returns to normal.  The intention was to sound like a band on a small stage, playing with old-fashioned restraint. 

Besides the JABB instruments, I also used JABB effect samples like breaths (most audible during the clarinet intro) and guitar scrapes.  Improvisational bits are used throughout for the lead sax line.  And the sound at the end is another vinyl effect - a needle being taken off the record clumsily so it scrapes the surface--OUCH!

Voclizr - Thanks for letting me know my PM box was full - I tend to let messages pile up.  I've now seen your message, and I'm looking forward to using the link you included - I'll write to you via PM also.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
voclizr
Re:JABB deal for Sonar 2010/11/01 09:18:00 (permalink)
Thanks Randy!
Listened to "Honey Pie".  Proof that JABB is a wonderful program.  Just takes a bit of work.  You did a great job with that.

JB
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1