Helpful ReplyMidi-Guitar Software

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/26 21:47:09 (permalink)
FWIW, I never installed any 32bit version of MIDI guitar. Never had any of the problems either one of you have described.
King_Windom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 156
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/26 22:31:23 (permalink)
Hi cecelius2   I still have no joy in 64 bit. If I try to load a vst that I have working in 32 bit it opens the 32 bit MIDI guitar program overtop of

the 64 bit version (weird huh). If I then close the 32 bit version the vst in the 64 bit has crashed and not loaded. 

As you said it is beta and I am sure these issues will be worked out. I still think this is a buy.    

Thanks for taking the time to explore this.  I will post back with any other info I can come up with.     Dan

cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/26 23:47:59 (permalink)
scook

FWIW, I never installed any 32bit version of MIDI guitar. Never had any of the problems either one of you have described.
You know I have been on this forum for a long time (previously under Cecelius andn then I had log in troubles and had to rejoin in 2009).  I have seen many users report serious problems with Sonar, or vst plugins, but I have been very fortunate to have had very few problems and these being far between.  So the fact that I am having some minor troubles does not really bother me.  It will get fixed and bugs will be worked out.  Who knows if it is my MB or brand of memory or MOTU audio card....????  Luckily I have found good workarounds for use as a standalone as just posted and to be used in conjunction with Sonar as posted yesterday.  It's all good as they say.  And it will get better.

I am really impressed with the tracking speed compared to hardware based midi guitar devices.  I guess it is the fast audio drivers for the sound card.  Since it uses them to input the guitar signal and they are getting faster and faster with less and less latency, this Midi Guitar is a great investment and it will only get better.  

As an aside--
I did notice that I can only set the samples within Midi Guitar down to 128 even though I can run my MOTU 838mkii down to 64 samples.  When I lower the sample below 128 down to 96 or 64 on the audio card, the Midi Guitar does not recogniize that.  Is 128 it's bottom line right now?  Still my latency is showing at 2.9ms--that is what the Midi Guitar is reporting.  That is great.  Just wonder if it will eventually allow 64 sample and even less latency.

post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/05/26 23:52:58

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 00:00:10 (permalink)
The MIDI Guitar documentation on the Jam Origin website http://www.jamorigin.com/...ws-Mac/help/index.html recommends 256 samples, I run at 128. For whatever reason there is no mention of lower settings.
cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 01:51:37 (permalink)
scook

The MIDI Guitar documentation on the Jam Origin website http://www.jamorigin.com/...ws-Mac/help/index.html recommends 256 samples, I run at 128. For whatever reason there is no mention of lower settings.
Thanks.  I had read that but forgot it already.  128 is working fast so this is good.

I think I am going to download all the versions of Midi Guitar since the developer has provided links to them going back to 5.3.  Then I am going to experiment and see if I can just start over from the beginning.  Load 5.3 and see if it works as prescribed in Sonar just as a vst.  Then update successively through 6.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4.  Perhaps, and I am just hoping, that by uninstalling and then reinstalling successively that i might get it to work the way that you guys have it working just as a DAW vst within Sonar.  If not, at least I have it working in a way that might be convoluted, but it realy only means that I have to have it running outside of Sonar as standalone and just use loopmidi or LoopBe1 porting it into Sonar to trigger synths and more importantly to record the midi tracks.

Again, thanks for all the info and putting up with this ongoing journey.

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 10:59:26 (permalink)
It turns out there is a problem installing both the 32bit and 64bit versions. Sounds like the problem is triggered by having them in the same directory. Expect a new release soon to fix. From the kvr thread the dev states:

So it turned out that the scanner problems are caused by the filename "MIDI Guitar 64.exe"...

It turns out that if an app ("MIDI Guitar 64.exe") wants to launch a process (in this case the scanner which is also in "MIDI Guitar 64.exe") - Windows will first try to run "MIDI.exe" and "MIDI Guitar.exe" before the more sane approach of "MIDI Guitar 64.exe". So the scanner launch the 32 bit version if you have it in the folder... and things start to go even more wrong from there because then it might find 32 bit plugins in the 64 version which won't load.

The quick fix is to rename "MIDI Guitar 64.exe" to "MIDIGuitar64.exe".
post edited by scook - 2013/05/27 11:01:47
King_Windom
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 13:21:21 (permalink)
Woo Hoo  Renaming the 64 bit file worked like a champ!!  It now will scan and load 64 bit vst instruments  Thanks scook!!      Dan
scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 13:26:24 (permalink)
While the problem is going to be addressed in the next release, I would recommend installing the 32bit version somewhere in your "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory tree and the 64 bit version in your "C:\Program Files" tree, just like most software installers would do. Better yet, if you do not need the 32bit version, don't install it. I was unaware of the bug because, like I said above, I only install the 64bit version.
cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 16:56:38 (permalink)
scook

It turns out there is a problem installing both the 32bit and 64bit versions. Sounds like the problem is triggered by having them in the same directory. Expect a new release soon to fix. From the kvr thread the dev states:

So it turned out that the scanner problems are caused by the filename "MIDI Guitar 64.exe"...

It turns out that if an app ("MIDI Guitar 64.exe") wants to launch a process (in this case the scanner which is also in "MIDI Guitar 64.exe") - Windows will first try to run "MIDI.exe" and "MIDI Guitar.exe" before the more sane approach of "MIDI Guitar 64.exe". So the scanner launch the 32 bit version if you have it in the folder... and things start to go even more wrong from there because then it might find 32 bit plugins in the 64 version which won't load.

The quick fix is to rename "MIDI Guitar 64.exe" to "MIDIGuitar64.exe".

Thanks.  This helped with the scanning problems.  I put the different files in 32 bit and 64 bit folders respectively.  Then scanned.  Now I can launch softsynths from Midi Guitar in standalone mode.  It now even loads my GForce MTron Pro 64bit, which previously crashed the program.

I have not tried to run Midi Guitar as a vst (.dll) within Sonar.  Hopefully this might help with that hiccup on my system. 

I read on the KRV site that there is a v7.5 expected tomorrow that will address this and fix this  problem of scanning.

Thanks Scook for posting this.  
post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/05/27 16:57:55

JamOrigin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 17:55:26 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

I'll be visiting this thread once in a while if you have questions, suggestions or problems with our MIDI Guitar software. 
We generally try to base our developments on real users needs, so we are always happy to get feedback.  

As mentioned we are posting a yet another update tomorrow with more fixes.

As a quick-fix for plugin scanning problems, please rename your exe to something without spaces (ie. "MIDI Guitar 64.exe" to "MIDIGuitar64.exe") and make sure you rescan. 

Best
Jam-O.

post edited by JamOrigin - 2013/05/27 17:59:51
scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/27 17:58:58 (permalink)
Welcome, nice of you to stop by.
post edited by scook - 2013/05/27 18:00:34
King_Windom
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/28 09:42:52 (permalink)
Nice to have you aboard!  This the best thing to happen to midi guitar in a long time    Dan
scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/05/31 21:01:24 (permalink)
Beta 0.7.5 announced and available at kvr http://www.kvraudio.com/f...php?t=359095&start=795 Not yet available on the website. The new version renames all the binaries. If you use this method http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=2749799 to run MIDI Guitar, the dll name change will require the registry to be edited again (step 4).
King_Windom
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/06/01 10:28:27 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads up Scrook. Scanning vst's great and working well.     Dan
jimtzu
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 16:56:34 (permalink)
I've been playing around with the MidiGuitar software for a few days and have the standalone version working pretty good (one odd thing it does is ANYTHING that is played thru my computer, backing track etc, is played by the synth sound) but having little luck integrating it with Sonar X2.   i've read all the posts here and tried everything suggested and can get some sounds but notes above and below the octave i'm playing in get triggered and then it'll just start grabbing handfuls of notes at random and go haywire.  not sure what's going on there. thinking it could be my interface??  the m-audio 44 is a pci card, which is a bit unusual.   any ideas?
my main purpose is to input midi for sketching out ideas. i have an old Shadow SH 075 unit that has the hex pickup and have been using it off and on over the years, it works ok but not accurate as i'd like.  
cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 18:57:53 (permalink)
jimtzu
I've been playing around with the MidiGuitar software for a few days and have the standalone version working pretty good (one odd thing it does is ANYTHING that is played thru my computer, backing track etc, is played by the synth sound) but having little luck integrating it with Sonar X2.   i've read all the posts here and tried everything suggested and can get some sounds but notes above and below the octave i'm playing in get triggered and then it'll just start grabbing handfuls of notes at random and go haywire.  not sure what's going on there. thinking it could be my interface??  the m-audio 44 is a pci card, which is a bit unusual.   any ideas?
my main purpose is to input midi for sketching out ideas. i have an old Shadow SH 075 unit that has the hex pickup and have been using it off and on over the years, it works ok but not accurate as i'd like.  

Perhaps Scook will also post.  I have a couple of questions to see if I can help.

1. Are you using MidiGuitar v7.5?

2. Are you using it in its DAW mode within Sonar as a vst OR are you using it in Standalone mode with Loopmidi or LoopBe1 ?

3.  If you are using it in the latter mode, the Standalone mode, have you selected "None" as the Instrument in MidiGuitar's Instrument output?  I ask this, because if you are using it in Standalone mode to trigger softsynths in Sonar, you need to choose "none" in Midiguitar's instrument so it does not trigger the Midiguitar's internal instrument.  You then in Sonar choose whatever vst you want and then on that vst's midi input you need to choose Loopmidi or LoopBe1.

4. What sample rate is Midiguitar reporting for your M-Audio 44 sample rate buffers?

Not sure what is going on with the sounds below or above the octave.

As I said in a different post, I never got Midiguitar to work in its DAW mode as a vst within Sonar, but I did get it to work by running it as a Standalone, choosing "none" in Midiguitar's Instrument Output, choose Loopmidi or LoopBe1 as Midiguitar's Midi Output, and then in Sonar by Loading a softsynth and select Loopmidi or LoopBe1 as the softsynths midi input.  Also make sure Loopmidi or LoopBe1 are activated on Sonar's Preference section for midi drivers.

Do not give up.  It is definitely worth it to have MG trigger softsynths and to use MG to input midi for quick ideas.  IT is great for that.

Hope that this might help, not sure, but I have not seen MG doing what you are experiencing, but others may have and hopefully they will post to help.

Hope Scook will post and see what he might suggest.
post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/07/05 19:00:34

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 19:37:21 (permalink)
The first puzzler is
jimtzu
(one odd thing it does is ANYTHING that is played thru my computer, backing track etc, is played by the synth sound)

That is not right. The only thing MIDI-Guitar should be receiving is the audio from your Guitar via the M-44 preferably running a low latency driver. Audio from other than your guitar is guaranteed to trigger chaos. You need to sort that our first. No other audio should be going to MIDI-Guitar. The signal path would be no different than recording a guitar track in your DAW.
jimtzu
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 21:00:58 (permalink)
Cecelius... the answer to your questions:

1.  yes  using v.7.5, just d/loaded it this week.
2. for integrate with X2 i've tried both methods.. as vst where i get some sounds but it does not record midi for me.  when tried as standalone with loopmidi it made my audio44 drivers "disappear" and thus no sound came out so had to abandon that route.  never seen that before.
3.  can't try this because of the afore mentioned driver disappearing.
4. buffer size is 128

when used as strictly standalone it took some tweaking but got to be useable and fun...  wanted to check out the compatibility with the DAW before i pulled the trigger and bought it.  that's where i'm at now.   have no idea what's up with the loopmidi program but tried it a few times and followed the instructions.

jimtzu
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 21:05:47 (permalink)
Scook...  when i was getting other sounds to trigger the synth it was in standalone mode.  there's a possibility that my routing could be causing that. i have a hardware mixer that i run everything thru (in and out of my computer) to do live broadcasting over the net, using backing tracks and loop pedals, so possibly that might be the culprit.  was going to figure that out after i made sure the midiGuitar worked with X2.  if that sheds any light....

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/05 21:45:29 (permalink)
Yeah, no doubt a routing problem in the standalone.

For the VST to work
1) set up an audio track for your guitar, mono input, echo on
2) Drop MIDI Guitar into the FX bin
3) Set the MIDI Guitar Instrument output to NONE
4) Check "Enable MIDI output" on MIDI Guitar in the synth rack
5) Insert a softsynth, echo on, make sure the synth has a patch loaded
That should get sound from the inserted synth. From there, if you want to record the MIDI enable the record button on the MIDI track. If you want to record the audio from the guitar enable the track record button and set the AMP/Effect output to Direct in MIDI Guitar.

post edited by scook - 2013/07/05 21:59:40
cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/06 17:25:52 (permalink)
jimtzu:  Glad to see that scook is helping you through this.  He has helped others; hopefully you will get this figured out and enjoy this product.  Since it is giving you trouble when used in DAW mode as a vst in Sonar, I will defer to scook as he has been successful getting it to work in that manner for himself and others; my convoluted workaround would just murk up the waters.  

Keep us posted as to your progress and what the trouble was once you get it working.
post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/07/06 17:28:48

jimtzu
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/07 16:00:41 (permalink)
thanks guys,   i did get it working in X2.  i'm thinking it was 3) Set the MIDI Guitar Instrument output to NONE that i was missing. i also switched the vsti i was using (have tried several now).  so it's working and able to record midi.  now to actually test drive it to see if it does what i need.  i realize it's still in beta and it's good to see their rep on the forum here, that's a good sign.    i still need to work out my routing problem on the stand alone.  
thanks Scook and cecelius2 and all.  btw how do you get the signature at the bottom of your posts listing your setup? i thought i did that but it's not showing up.  i've been using Sonar since it was only midi.. just not too active on the forums....

cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/07 16:56:35 (permalink)
Excellent news Jimtzu.  Keep us posted on how it all works out for you.  Midi Guitar is a good tool to "jot down" ideas, to write some midi, and then you can go back and edit, adjust and get it in final form.  It is pretty easy once you get it working.

To add signature info to your posts do the following:

1. go to "User Control Panel" at the top right of the page
2   choose "Edit Profile"
3.  then choose "Signature and Comments"
4.  add what you want  as your signature and your comments
5. make sure you check the box to "always add signature to post"
post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/07/07 16:57:37

scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/07 17:47:45 (permalink)
Congrats, there will be a new release soon, at least according to the kvr thread.
scook
Forum Host
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/09 10:47:43 (permalink)
0.8.0 beta released on kvr thread

FWIW, my results are: the standalone worked fine but the VST shutdown SONAR X2a.
post edited by scook - 2013/07/09 11:32:02
cecelius2
Re:Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/09 13:30:17 (permalink)
scook
0.8.0 beta released on kvr thread

FWIW, my results are: the standalone worked fine but the VST shutdown SONAR X2a.

Thanks.  Downloading now.  Will report latter when I have played with it; probably tonight.

[[Edited to include info about v0.8.0 as follows--don't know why it formated like it is below, but here is the info:]
0.8.0 BETA
General:
* Our new MIDI Machine is now embedded in MIDI Guitar.
It allows you to easily create arpeggiators, harmonizers, chord filters,
or indeed any imaginable midi effect.
* Velocity curve setting.
* Settings are now only saved on shutdown. Fixes concurrency issues with
multiple instances of MIDI Guitar running and issues with disrupted VST plugins
preventing MIDI Guitar from launching.

Standalone:
* Added MIDI Learn functionality.
* Added project management to make it easier to switch between sound setups.
The project stores all parameters including VST instrument and -effect states
as well as the MIDI Machine setup.
MIDI Program Change can be used to switch projects at the press of a button.

VST/AudioUnit:
* Added VST/AudioUnit parameters so MIDI Guitar can be controlled by a DAW.

Recognition:
* General tracking improvements.
* Improved tracking of minor seconds.
* Improved latency at non-44.1Khz samplerates. All samplerates now perform
similarily.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed issues with plugin scanner when used in plugin.
* Fixed save of MIDI enable/disable in plugin.
* Fixed bug where Test Piano would load after being disabled.

post edited by cecelius2 - 2013/07/09 18:48:49

JamOrigin
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/10 02:56:47 (permalink)
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Edit: We have been able to reproduce and fix the problem with MIDI Guitar 0.8 and Sonar. Version 0.8.1 will be released within an hour.

post edited by JamOrigin - 2013/07/10 08:16:55
JamOrigin
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/10 08:54:55 (permalink)
Ok, we have fixed the Sonar issue. Please download version 0.8.1:

Windows:
jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.8.1-Win.zip
Mac:
jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.8.1-Mac.zip

post edited by JamOrigin - 2013/07/10 08:57:04
King_Windom
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/10 09:21:13 (permalink)

Thanks for the update. I have been away from this forum for a few weeks and am just catching up. I hope to try the latest beta later today   Dan
scook
Forum Host
Re: Midi-Guitar Software 2013/07/10 09:48:32 (permalink)
0.8.1 fixed the VST blowing up SONAR. Guess it is time to learn Lua.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1