Helpful ReplyMixcraft

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 12:21:20 (permalink)
And you get Galaxy X-FX Free as well

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 18:50:19 (permalink)
I'm liking the demo, but there is an issue of terminology as Bit said earlier. It does a few things better than Sonar ever did. I inserted AD2 and proceeded to spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to assign individual outs for each drum. I was frustrated that it seemed so difficult, but then I noticed a little + on the main track. I clicked that and found that all the individual tracks had been inserted and routed automatically and then put inside the main folder.

I'm so sick of huge corporate entities that I will definitely be avoiding ANY of the big companies when looking for a new home. I'm looking for what Cakewalk used to be. The little guy that could.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Whiskey Still
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 20:20:03 (permalink)
This looks like a great alternative for me.  Anyone know how long the $99 for special for Mixcraft 8 Pro lasts?

I'm heading out on a business trip tomorrow.  I'd like to try the demo out for the full 14-days, but figure the sale will be over before I'd get back next Friday.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." ~ Frank Zappa
cclarry
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 20:31:52 (permalink)
I believe it's today only...but could be wrong

backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 20:36:04 (permalink)
ampfixer

I'm so sick of huge corporate entities that I will definitely be avoiding ANY of the big companies when looking for a new home. I'm looking for what Cakewalk used to be. The little guy that could.

Same here. It reminds me quite a bit of P5v2 too which helps!

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 22:10:52 (permalink)
Dual screen capability has become a must. Sad that some of these alts don't allow it.
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/24 22:32:40 (permalink)
aconte22
...which is why you will see that the Loop Library asset management and Video editing are far superior than any other DAW on the market today. Mixcraft 8 is for real!

OK, I'm intrigued by this since it's a pain point for me. Care to elaborate? How does Mixcraft's Loop Library asset management stack up against Cubase's Media Bay?
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 01:34:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/25 16:32:48
So I tried Mixcraft 8 demo today.  I thought that it was ok. I was able to figure out how to do most stuff that I wanted. I inserted a couple of soft synths and messed around with the midi stuff. I also recorded a few audio tracks and did some "comping" and overdubs. I had their "manual" up but it seems a bit sparse so it was hard to find some things.  It seems like it is fairly capable and with more time with it I am sure it could do most of what I currently do in Sonar.

There were a few things that I couldn't figure out.  I couldn't get the play head to return to the previous location when you hit stop. Probably a setting somewhere that I didn't find. I couldn't figure out how to drag copy a midi note. I had to copy and paste or just add a new one in.  I did like that in the Midi editor screen that it showed the note value on the midi notes.  I also couldn't figure out how to select controllers and delete them.

On the audio side I was able to time stretch a clip, record several takes, do looping etc. I couldn't figure out how to do cross fades between takes in their lanes or how to select parts of overlapping takes. I could mute and unmute the clips but didn't know how to move the split point. When editing/timing audio clips I like to split them and then use the "alt-shift" to move the audio date around in the clip window rather then moving the whole clip. I couldn't figure a way to do this.

They also have the idea of a send track. It seems like a bus but one that is specifically for sends from tracks. When you add a send track knobs show up on all tracks to send to it kind of like a console. I don't really like that since most of the time I only want to send a few tracks to a bus, unless it is a global reverb, and the knobs on each track seem to clutter things up.

Finally, I couldn't seem to figure out how to route the tracks to anything else other then the "master" output.  I probably needed to add a bus or something else.

I am sure if you dig into this it would be a fine DAW and hopefully will keep getting developed.  The UI seems not quite as polished and as mentioned before a bit more "cartoony" for lack of a better word.

Just some more information for those looking into this.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 03:30:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby telecharge 2017/11/25 05:28:44
To get the play head to go back to your start position, click on the gear in the main toolbar, go to "interface" options, and click "Auto-rewind to start position when playback/recording ends". One detail: For me, this process does have an odd side effect, though -- when I select (or deselect) this option, it pushes all the faders on my MCU to 0. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
kapelle
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 05:27:18 (permalink)
bitflipper
(even better, it's like SONAR's PRV at 8.5)

I keep reading stuff like this on this forum - am I not the only one who still loves and uses 8.5 and detests all the newer versions? I work in 8.5, then mix in X3 for VST3.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 09:51:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/25 12:43:51
OK I'm choosing to post here in Bit's thread as opposed to posting upstairs ...
I like Dave and I'm glad he started this thread .

First , real quick ...I picked up Mixcraft 7 Pro last year when it was on Sale .
Then I upgraded to Mixcraft 8 Pro about 4 or 6 months ago ...
I need to say that and get that out of the way because I was not under any emotional distress or panic to find a replacement DAW for SONAR 

Having said that I have found Mixcraft Pro 8 to be wonderful DAW that I d happen to enjoy working with ..
I am very happy I bought it and I treat it as it's own Entity / DAW
I do not claim to be an expert using it by any stretch , yet I do enjoy using this DAW ...
I have no affiliation w the company and my only hope is to post a few quick things here and there that I have found out using Mixcraft 8 ...did I mention before that I'm very happy w the program

Lets start here ,
kitekrazy1
No real browser that points to your own folders

With Mixcraft 7 that may have been the case . With Mixcraft 8 you can populate your Library / Media browser by hitting the + Add folder button . After  searching your HD for your chosen folders and media it is pretty simple to have the location saved ...

Audio Tracks have a built in Chromatic Tuner . To access the tuner you Arm the track and then hit the tuning fork icon ...

As simple as it is I love having a Chromatic Tuner readily available to keep my Guitars and Bass in tune  ...

Instrument / Midi tracks have the ability to stack synths on the chosen track ....
I happen to like this option because I can stack synths to make interesting layers , also it makes it super easy to audition the various synth sounds and patches on the fly as the song is playing   
( BTW Reaper also does this )
In this picture I am running 3 synths . The little check box under where it says instruments determines what is running ...check the box the synth runs , uncheck the box the synth is out ...
One can control the respective volumes of the synth from the GUI of the synth itself when running multiple instances of synths .

The Editor under the sounds tab is very easy to work with . When you double click an audio clip it will look like this .

When you engage the Melodyne tab it will open up to this view

The Melodyne integration is so simple and deep even a dummy like me can use it 

The Performance Panel in my pic is not populated w clips since I'm trying to show a couple of Mixcraft 8 features real fast over here ...everything I'm showing pic wise in this thread are quick screen shots I have taken as I write this post ...

For those of you that have or have used Ableton Live , P 5 or use SONAR's Matrix view , you may find this feature to be a welcome addition ...
It is much easier to use than The SONAR Matrix View and it reminds me of a cross between P 5 and Ableton Live .
In my case I liked it so much that I started using it over P5 since Mixcraft 8 is 64 bit ...
I also have Ableton Live 9 intro ...I'm not saying this is better than Ableton Live 9 , What  I am saying is  in my case I have gotten very decent results using Mixcraft 8 as a poor mans Ableton Live style DAW ...for me to bump up my version of Live to standard would cost me close to $ 300 ....I know they are having a Sale ...the thing is I have been able to squeeze a lot of mileage out of the Performance Panel that comes with Mixcraft 8 ....
as all things in life YMMV .

The Omni sampler is pretty nice IMHO. In this pic I took a whole musical phrase and converted/ mapped them it into musical slices ...
Using Midi I rearranged a few notes around to come up with a variation....funny thing is I like the variation better than the source material ..

I hope someone gets something out of this post . Happy day after Thanks giving .

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

telecharge
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 12:17:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/25 15:46:11
Thanks, Kenny. Good stuff.

If you don't mind sharing, what is it about the Performance  Panel or Mixcraft itself that you like better than Ableton? Is it just easier to use?
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 13:06:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/25 15:46:05
Thanks Kenny, useful information.

I am trying the demo of Mixcraft and I am finding it quite nice albeit I understand the comments from reginaldStjohn. It has come a long way since I tried version 5 but it's not as deep as Splat. Then again I might be missing something as I am only on day 2 of the demo.

Is it possible to do the equivalent of the CTRL-SHIFT drag thing in Sonar to stretch/shrink audio? I use this a lot to fine tune alignment of doubled tracks as VocalSync usually doesn't work as well as I would like.

I was also unable to find a way to route the output of a MIDI track to Harmony Evo inserted on an Audio track or to change an existing instrument track to not play an instrument but send its MIDI to a different track. Also I noticed that the drop down to enable MIDI input on the Harmony Evo (HE) UI is missing (there's no way I can see to select it). However, when I play my MIDI keyboard with the audio track selected HE does its thing and generates harmonies. 

The demo also did not pick up my full version of Melodyne Editor so it does not appear on the audio editor menu bar as shown in Kenny's post above or in the manual. 

I think that I have pretty much decided to stick with SPlat for now and pass on Mixcraft. I already have backups in place when I need them...Studio One Pro 3, Cubase Elements 9 (upgrade to 9.5 is £17) and Reaper. 
kennywtelejazz
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 14:49:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/11/25 15:12:06
telecharge
Thanks, Kenny. Good stuff.

If you don't mind sharing, what is it about the Performance  Panel or Mixcraft itself that you like better than Ableton? Is it just easier to use?

Cool Beans telecharge .

My reference about Mixcraft was that it has a decent Performance Panel that I definitely like much better than SPlats Matrix View ...
I was an early adapter of Project 5 ( 2006 ) and I still to this day think that Project 5  runs rings around what they did with SONAR's Matrix view and P 5 style of integration ...
On one hand SONAR contains much of what P5 had ...the devs ported over much ...the thing they did not port over was the simplicity and ease of the P 5 workflow   

Having said that let me go w Ableton Live first ...
I have Live 9 intro . I happen to think that Ableton Live is a fantastic program ...for me to bump up to Live Standard the general upgrade price would come in at around $350 unless it was on Sale ...
I can currently bump up my Live version up to Standard since Ableton is having a sale ...for $ 250 ish I can get that and when Live 10 comes out I will also be able to get that as a courtesy since Ableton is offering this deal currently.
Long before the recent news of Gibson dropping Cakewalk I can admit to have being tempted ..This deal is still on the table and I am actually considering it because I will get Live 10 when it is available ...
One of the things I do not care about in Live is it is an either or w the views ...
example ...
Either

Or

Not a combination of both .

Mixcraft on the other hand will allow me to keep both views in sight ...the performance section including the track view ...once again I'm winging it w the pic ...the performance panel is not populated ...

the performance panel can collapse w one click so I can see my session

Now that might not sound like such a big deal but I came up using P 5 ...Project 5 was that simple ....
The workflow was and still is astoundingly fast  as it would be for a seasoned Live user 

BTW , I would post comparison screen shots of Project 5 . I would then have to swap computers to do that ...

Now do I think that Mixcraft 8 Pro is better than Ableton Live ...
No I wont say that but I can say that Mixcraft Pro 8 packs some very heavy tools under the hood ....all for very little money ....
The time I have spent using Mixcraft eased the pain of not having a full version of Live and I was very great full that I could get that type of workflow back w out having to spend big coin ...at least Mixcraft afforded me that  

In any case , I'm only here to share my experience , strength , and brain damage with you guys ....
My only real pay off here is to be hanging out w you guys in this thread and putting out a little info ....
As I said before I had picked up Mixcraft a while back and I enjoy using it ...speaking strictly for myself , I certainly feel I got more than what I paid for 

time for the $64,000 dollar question
Do I think that  Mixcraft 8 Pro is better than SONAR SPlat ? Honestly speaking I won't say that it is ...
We all have different needs & creative musical out looks & workflows ...one size don't fit all ...
Please remember I started using Mixcraft 7 and 8 at a time when SPlat seemed to be here for good ....
I was not under duress , I bought it because I wanted it ...I'm happy I did ...
The people from A.../ Mixcraft don't even know that I am a Mixcraft user or who the eff I am
Also To be perfectly honest , there were many things about SPlat that were overly complicated for no apparent reason that  I could justify ...In Truth , I have been looking to break away from SPlat for a long time ...
BTW I don't mean this in a negative way ....SPlat is more that I will ever need ...I always felt that I was totally behind the eight ball when it came to SPlats constantly changing learning curve ... 
If you have ever heard me play you will know that I have put in the years &  hours on my guitar even if you don't like my playing or music .
I don't always want to have to climb a Mt Everest sized learning curve just to to be able to record my guitar playing and music . It became a tug of War ...I spent more time working on learning SPlat than I did playing my guitar and creating music during a lot of my musical time ...so in that sense , for me personally I have loved my experiences using some of the simpler DAWs that are out there ...I love Mixcraft 8 Pro , I'm gonna continue using it &  when ever I play something I dig ..if I feel I want to take it to the next level I will export my dry tracks and create a SONAR Project ...I'm very used to treating my music as if I was collaborating w other people that use other DAW's
Heck some of my best musical collab mates are all figments of my imagination  

nice talking w you ...I do remember you asking me when I was going through a rough time if it involved way too many choices ...Yes that plays into it largely to a degree . 

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 14:56:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/25 15:45:46
More than Sonar, I will miss the kind people of this forum that take some much time from their day, and be so helpful. Thank you Kenny, you are one of the best! I like Mixcraft a lot. I am going to try and use Sonar for as long as I can, but I am glad to know that I would also be happy using Mixcraft. 
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 15:11:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/25 15:45:51
Nice write-ups Kenny

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
bwbalint
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 15:29:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/25 15:45:55
Thanks Kenny. I have always appreciated your thorough explanations!

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
kennywtelejazz
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 15:44:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/25 15:48:29
ZincTrumpet

I am trying the demo of Mixcraft and I am finding it quite nice albeit I understand the comments from reginaldStjohn. It has come a long way since I tried version 5 but it's not as deep as Splat. Then again I might be missing something as I am only on day 2 of the demo.

Is it possible to do the equivalent of the CTRL-SHIFT drag thing in Sonar to stretch/shrink audio? I use this a lot to fine tune alignment of doubled tracks as VocalSync usually doesn't work as well as I would like.

I was also unable to find a way to route the output of a MIDI track to Harmony Evo inserted on an Audio track or to change an existing instrument track to not play an instrument but send its MIDI to a different track. Also I noticed that the drop down to enable MIDI input on the Harmony Evo (HE) UI is missing (there's no way I can see to select it). However, when I play my MIDI keyboard with the audio track selected HE does its thing and generates harmonies. 

The demo also did not pick up my full version of Melodyne Editor so it does not appear on the audio editor menu bar as shown in Kenny's post above or in the manual. 

I think that I have pretty much decided to stick with SPlat for now and pass on Mixcraft. I already have backups in place when I need them...Studio One Pro 3, Cubase Elements 9 (upgrade to 9.5 is £17) and Reaper. 

Hi Zinc Trumpet ,

I will answer what little bit I can ...
Yes , I get it it ,  leaving SONAR would be a tough one .
In all fairness a few hours trying out a demo , means theres only so much info about a new DAW that can be digested in such a small amount of time  ....

Yes you can Time stretch the audio using the exact method you mentioned ...in my screen captures there was a little double hand that is not showing ....
Yes, using Ctrl shift works just like in SONAR

first pic un-stretched audio

second pic , stretched audio , in this case the audio plays at a slower tempo 

third pic , shrunk audio , notice the time line  ...audio plays faster

If you are on a Mixcraft 8 demo , I have no idea if it will allow you to incorporate your melodyne or not ..
sorry I just don't know ...the Mixcraft forum may have the answer to that ....good luck

BTW, thanks for the kind words

Kenny

PS , Reapers time stretch ability while keeping pitch is with out equal 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

telecharge
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 15:45:38 (permalink)
bwbalint
Thanks Kenny. I have always appreciated your thorough explanations!

+1 You da man, Kenny!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 16:13:17 (permalink)
Hey Kenny, I tried the Mixcraft demo earlier this year, on your recommendation.  I do see where you are coming from.

I got Project 5 back in the day, when it first launched, like you did.  I also had a full version of Ableton Live, but for the same reasons you point out, that 'either/or' Live interface never really jived with me.

After Cakewalk killed off P5, and moved a few features into Sonar, never really saw the Sonar Matrix View as having the same workflow as P5 with the Groove Matrix.  Pulling that view away from the linear track timeline is just not very inspirational for me.

One thing I observed last year after watching a Bitwig video, it had seemed that their devs were also on the same page as P5 was, by putting their clip launcher alongside the linear track arrangement timeline, instead of doing it like Live on a separate view.

So yes, in that sense Mixcraft also has a much more familiar layout. Plus the media browser is very good, and combining that with the Performance Panel, you have a great workflow for working with loops or clips.

I think Mixcraft would make a solid choice, especially as a secondary DAW, for sketching out song ideas.  

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 16:17:58 (permalink)
Thanks for those posts, Kenny! Great work and very helpful.

Just for fun, here's your mixcraft, and then a couple o' pro tools. Notice any similarities?

Somebody went to the same design class as somebody.

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 16:25:33 (permalink)
That looks like a pic of Ableton Live 9 Intro, rather than Mixcraft...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 16:32:06 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
ZincTrumpet

Hi Zinc Trumpet ,

I will answer what little bit I can ...
Yes , I get it it ,  leaving SONAR would be a tough one .
In all fairness a few hours trying out a demo , means theres only so much info about a new DAW that can be digested in such a small amount of time  ....

Yes you can Time stretch the audio using the exact method you mentioned ...in my screen captures there was a little double hand that is not showing ....
Yes, using Ctrl shift works just like in SONAR

first pic un-stretched audio

second pic , stretched audio , in this case the audio plays at a slower tempo 

third pic , shrunk audio , notice the time line  ...audio plays faster

If you are on a Mixcraft 8 demo , I have no idea if it will allow you to incorporate your melodyne or not ..
sorry I just don't know ...the Mixcraft forum may have the answer to that ....good luck

BTW, thanks for the kind words

Kenny

PS , Reapers time stretch ability while keeping pitch is with out equal 

Cheers Kenny, wow that was quick! I don't know how you do replies with screenshots so quickly.
Whenever I include screenshots it seems to take an age to capture them, edit them and upload them somewhere. Very kind of you to take the time to do it; I do appreciate your efforts.

You are quite correct and I haven't had enough time with Mixcraft to digest everything that it can do. I don't mean to sound negative towards it and I'm sure it will be a good fit for many people's workflow. Especially given it's cost at the moment; it must be considered a bargain. I guess with so many time-limited deals around I am just trying to quickly weigh up all the offerings vs what I already have and try to decide what if anything I should buy.

Doh, I never thought to try exactly the same key combo for the time stretch thing and you are quite correct. I just tried and it works just like SPlat :-)

I will have a look at the Mixcraft forums re the Melodyne and MIDI track redirection issues.

Thanks for the tip re Reaper which I must confess to owning for a long time and not really using much.

Thanks ZT
P.S. I'm also quite keen on the $25 upgrade for Tracktion Waveform just to get the composition tools without all of the other stuff that I don't need but maybe we need a separate thread for that (I see there's already one on t'other forum ;).
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 16:51:38 (permalink)
Oh, I think you are right! I stole the wrong one out of Kenny's post . . . 

<shame mode on>

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
cclarry
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 17:03:53 (permalink)
You can get the BOXED version at Musician's Friend and
get UVI Energy Synth FREE

http://www.musiciansfrien...n--box/j51183000000000

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/25 18:51:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/25 19:04:22
Shame the Staff view is so limited, only one clip at a time, I was looking quite favourably at this, the support guy also did not know what ARA integration was.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
h3kke
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/26 00:49:22 (permalink)
Update, I realized some of the issues were due to my interface and Windows hating being set at 48 kHz.  I decided to give it some more time now. . . I kind of like it.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/26 01:43:42 (permalink)
After spending the last two days with Studio One, and liking it for the most part, I switched back to Mixcraft this afternoon to give it another go. This time I discovered a few new things that upped my estimation of this DAW.

One thing I didn't like initially was the lack of an fx bin in the track header. But surprise! It's an option. You can reorder the plugins, move or duplicate them from track to track, and click them to open the effect - just like I'm used to. Oddly, the one thing they forgot to include in the fx bin was bypass buttons.

I like the way you can apply automation nodes to multiple tracks at once.  S1 can do that, too, but not quite as elegantly. 

The PRV, as I've said before, feels comfortably familiar, even if not perfect (but so close). I still like the way S1 lets you plant a note and set its velocity in one move. I wish velocities could be adjusted in the main PRV pane like SONAR does. It's annoying that you can't actually close the PRV / Mixer window (click on the X button and they just revert to being docked to the main window).

Another feature that'll take SONAR users very little effort to figure out is the step sequencer (they call it the Step Editor).

I like plugin collections, which are comparable to plugin categories in SONAR. They are user-definable, so you can organize them any way you like. Create a collection of FabFilter plugins, a collection of compressors, a collection of vocal effects, or a collection of effects you only use on Tuesdays. These appear at the top of the effect selector menu, right under Recently Used.

But sadly, in the end I was once again reminded of why I shut down Mixcraft the other day in frustration: there does not appear to be any way to display/edit multiple MIDI tracks in the PRV (or in the score editor). If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear about it, because without such a feature this DAW can be of no use to me.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/26 02:03:06 (permalink)
bitflipper

But sadly, in the end I was once again reminded of why I shut down Mixcraft the other day in frustration: there does not appear to be any way to display/edit multiple MIDI tracks in the PRV (or in the score editor). If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear about it, because without such a feature this DAW can be of no use to me.

yeah that is a deal killer... I'm glad the chap spoke up in the other thread saying "F2 was your friend".  I like tight arrangements and people don't realize the simple stuff like lining up the kick and bass parts make a huge difference....not to mention a pile of other stuff.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Whiskey Still
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Mixcraft 2017/11/26 03:09:04 (permalink)
bitflipper 

That's my issue. Mixcraft looks like a great alternative, but I live in staff view with multiple tracks.  

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." ~ Frank Zappa
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1