AnsweredMore crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! [Solved]

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2017/10/14 15:35:28 (permalink)

More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! [Solved]

Sonar, as far back as I can remember never gave me major problems like audio engine dropouts and program closing prematurely.
I don't even know where to start.  Tonight I created a new project from my normal blank template.  I had just two plugins open, Superior Drummer 3, and Kontakt with the new Orange Tree Samples' Evolution Rock Standard (guitar). With no efx on any tracks or busses.
It's a new Sonar build, a new version of Superior Drummer, and a new guitar sampler for Kontakt.  And once again, I got the Audio engine dropout, followed by Kontakt freezing, and then Sonar closing.  When it happened, I believe I was going through various presets of the Evolution Rock guitar, and playing them a little at a time.

In my previous post, I was having issues with the render operation (to a stereo wav file) stopping halfway through.  But now the problems seem to be getting worse, with the simplest of projects with just a drum track laid down, and me playing along on the Kontakt player....not even recording anything yet.

I've been having issues with Saffire MixControl software changing ASIO Buffer sizes on it's own.  So I contacted Focusrite and he gave me a beta driver to try and fix that issue.  I have a Saffire Pro 24 audio interface connected via Firewire.
I usually have the ASIO Buffer set at 512.  And my project settings are currently set to 24 bit/48,000  (I used to have it set at 24 bit/44,000)

So I don't know, these Audio Engine dropouts and program crashes could be a dozen different things.  I thought I might have been overloading my DAW.  But there should be no reason for this to be happening with a new project with just two plugins open.
It could be a driver (but from what software/plugin?), it could be a hardware problem, my interface, a hard drive?   But everything else on my Windows 10 64-bit machine (32 GB ram) is running fine.   I'm totally at a loss. 

And it couldn't have come at a worse time, I was just preparing to launch a local advertising campaign for my recording studio/producer work.  I can't have clients coming over to a DAW that keeps crashing. 
And this is the worst kind of problem, it's intermittent and occurs over various configurations.

Where do I start?
post edited by Leee - 2017/11/02 14:19:59

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/14 16:27:40 (permalink)
This can have so many reason (incl Windows or hardware failing) ... first thing I'd try would be to restore the full system image (not a Sonar rollback) from a month ago when everything worked fine. You have got such a backup, don't you?

This would rule out software that was changed or updated. If the situation persists, you need to check each piece of hardware ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/14 16:53:47 (permalink)
I had the same thing happen to a lesser degree after the Windows update of a couple days ago. I installed the latest Sonar version, and all was well. I hope the fix is equally simple for you!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/14 17:14:26 (permalink)
Run the free "picky" Resplendence Latency Mon program.  It may point to the problem.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 00:13:40 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestions.  I already have the latest Sonar Platinum release.  In fact I was thinking of rolling back to the previous release to see if that might help.
I'll also try the other suggestions and I'll keep the full system Windows restore as my last option.
But first I'm going to try the Latency Monitor and see what I can find out.

Thanks again.  I'll keep trying different things, but as I said this problem is going to be hard to track down because of it's intermittent nature.

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 00:30:17 (permalink)
I've been experiencing the issue with Focusrite (Scarlett 6i6) changing buffer sizes, but Sonar has been pretty stable. I have had some problems with NI Komplete Kontrol software crashing while browsing and switching presets from the hardware, but that's something that's happened in standalone mode as well as when loaded as a plugin in Sonar or FL Studio, so I'm pretty sure it's specifically the KK software/hardware that's causing that one.

SD 3 hasn't given me any problems as far as I recall.

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 01:27:18 (permalink)
I'll chime in because you mention Focusrite.
I don't have much experience with Firewire (I've never used it), but you might consider trying USB?
I was having the same problem as Tripecac on this thread where (for me) since the Windows 10 Creators Update, audio was dropping out every 45 seconds or so (in everything, YouTube, MP3s, etc.).
Since the Creators Update Windows 10 seems to have an issue running the 2i4 (which is USB 2.0) through a USB 3.0 connection. All of my external connections on my PC case are USB 3.0, so I had to run the Focusrite 2i4 directly to the USB 2.0 pins on the motherboard and the audio dropout issue in Windows was fixed instantly.

Before that, about a year ago, Focusrite also sent me a driver to get my Focusrite to work in Windows 10, just before they updated to their latest USB driver version.

When you say new build, I wonder if you have recently upgraded to Windows 10?
Please note that the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due in just 2 days on the 17th of this month, so it might be good to do a fresh ISO install of that when it's available, in which case holding off until then could be a good thing.. 

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 01:38:27 (permalink)
fireberd
Run the free "picky" Resplendence Latency Mon program.  It may point to the problem.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

After viewing the link provided, I realized I already downloaded this utility a few days ago.  And ran some tests with it.
Now this may or may NOT have anything to do with my current problem, but on October 8th, I had this result:

But today, running the same utility for 30+ minutes, while running Sonar (several different projects of varying size)
I got these results today:

Does this have anything to do with why I'm getting Audio Engine stoppage AND Sonar shutting down prematurely? I don't know.
Maybe I'm providing too much irrelevant information.  But I wanted to include anything out of the ordinary AND anything that has changed recently.

For today, running Sonar and trying to replicate the same problems as yesterday haven't been successful.  I've had no problems today in recording or playing back music in Sonar.   I'm sorry I can't provide more clues to determine what's going on.  It's very frustrating.

Lee Shapiro

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 02:39:43 (permalink)
My 2 cents worth post was retrieved from the automated spam and inserted before your post.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 03:02:52 (permalink)
GjB
My 2 cents worth post was retrieved from the automated spam and inserted before your post.

I'm not sure what you mean?  I posted this message in the Cakewalk forums.  What kind of spam are you talking about?  Thanks!
EDIT: Whatever spam you're talking about, maybe it's because of the link someone posted to the Latency Mon application?

Lee Shapiro

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 03:10:49 (permalink)
Sorry. I replied to your post a while ago but it was automatically deleted by Akismet (which is a forum spam service which removes posts if the user edits them too many times). I asked the admin to retrieve it and post it back in this thread, and he kindly did so, but it appeared before your last post, not after. Just in case you didn't see that post.
(I also sent you a PM about this at the time, in case it could help.)

The Computer Mouse (web)
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 03:18:35 (permalink)
I saw the deletes and restored the last one, however; we can't change the post order.
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 03:51:02 (permalink)
GjB
I'll chime in because you mention Focusrite.
I don't have much experience with Firewire (I've never used it), but you might consider trying USB?
I was having the same problem as Tripecac on this thread where (for me) since the Windows 10 Creators Update, audio was dropping out every 45 seconds or so (in everything, YouTube, MP3s, etc.).
Since the Creators Update Windows 10 seems to have an issue running the 2i4 (which is USB 2.0) through a USB 3.0 connection. All of my external connections on my PC case are USB 3.0, so I had to run the Focusrite 2i4 directly to the USB 2.0 pins on the motherboard and the audio dropout issue in Windows was fixed instantly.

Before that, about a year ago, Focusrite also sent me a driver to get my Focusrite to work in Windows 10, just before they updated to their latest USB driver version.

When you say new build, I wonder if you have recently upgraded to Windows 10?
Please note that the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is due in just 2 days on the 17th of this month, so it might be good to do a fresh ISO install of that when it's available, in which case holding off until then could be a good thing.. 

Hi, I got your PM.  I do have another Focusrite audio interface (Scarlett 2i2) which uses a USB 2.0 connection instead of Firewire.  The reason I'm using the interface with a Firewire connection is because I read that Firewire offers faster speeds than a USB 2.0 connection.  I never had any problems using it, so maybe I'll try that again to see if it works any better. Thanks for the suggestion.

So far, today, I've still had no issues yet.  And I've been pushing it pretty hard.  So I'm not sure what's causing the problems I've been having over the past couple of weeks.

Lee Shapiro

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 05:03:25 (permalink)
Any hints that your problems may be project specific? It's strange that you can push it one day but not the other ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 05:19:46 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
Any hints that your problems may be project specific? It's strange that you can push it one day but not the other ...

No, I went back to the same project as yesterday, and tried to do the exact same things I was doing before and when it crashed.  That's what makes me think it's a driver issue within Windows, my plugins, or my hardware.
It could have been something as simple as Bitdefender doing a virus scan (which I'm now turning off when I run Sonar).  But until the next problem happens, I'm just guessing.

Lee Shapiro

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 05:38:06 (permalink)
Leee
It could have been something as simple as Bitdefender doing a virus scan (which I'm now turning off when I run Sonar).  But until the next problem happens, I'm just guessing.

AV often gets in the way of software packages that needs lots of CPU power and fast access to drives.  Best practice for DAWs is to keep AV off or use a very light weight one at your own risk ... if you do the later, make sure you exclude virtually all processes that relate to DAW functionality and all directories that you need to access (projects, samples, plug-ins, etc.)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 06:02:12 (permalink)
I just had another Audio Engine stoppage.  Again, the project was small and simple.  Three VSTi's active: Superior Drums 3, Orange Tree Samples guitar, and Scarbee Bass (which is what I was playing at the time). No efx inserted anywhere.

I decided to look at my Windows sound configuration and noticed the computer's digital audio (S/PDIF) High Definition device was reinstalled again (after I uninstalled it on 10/5/17).  If you look at the screenshot, you'll see that this device was reinstalled again 4 days ago and enabled, "Ready" (under the Playback tab). But it's not my default device, which is my Saffire Audio device. 

I disabled it once again just now.  Is there any chance that THIS could be causing the Audio Engine to stop?

Lee Shapiro

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 06:11:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Leee 2017/11/02 14:21:23
(Windows 10) Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Hardware (tab) - Device Installation Settings -  Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices? - Check No.

This will stop Windows 10 from installing drivers over the top of the ones you are manually installing and trying to use.
So, if Windows has reinstalled drivers which you don't want, do the above and then manually reinstall your preferred driver (and reboot). (Also, if you don't use some devices, then you can safely disable them to limit potential compatibility issues.)

The Computer Mouse (web)
scook
Forum Host
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 06:19:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Leee 2017/11/02 14:21:37
Disable anything you do not use. There have been a couple of threads about disabling HDMI devices. CraigA recommends disabling them. for example http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3654214

Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 06:50:06 (permalink)
Thanks GjB, I'll go to the advanced settings and check NO for automatic downloads for manufacture apps and drivers..

scook
Disable anything you do not use. There have been a couple of threads about disabling HDMI devices. CraigA recommends disabling them. for example http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3654214

As I said, I not only had the device disabled, but I completely uninstalled the driver!  Windows must have reinstalled it and enabled it during the last update.

I sure hope that this is the problem!!!  After uninstalling it, I was playing and recording in the same project that I was using when the Audio Engine stopped.  So far I've been working on it for a half hour.... so far so good.

Lee Shapiro

scook
Forum Host
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 07:18:46 (permalink)
I hope it works for you. I have never uninstalled a driver instead opting to disable it. Uninstalling a driver may cause Windows to re-enable it should it decide to update the missing driver.
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 07:24:53 (permalink)
GjB
(Windows 10) Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Hardware (tab) - Device Installation Settings -  Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices? - Check No.

This will stop Windows 10 from installing drivers over the top of the ones you are manually installing and trying to use.
So, if Windows has reinstalled drivers which you don't want, do the above and then manually reinstall your preferred driver (and reboot). (Also, if you don't use some devices, then you can safely disable them to limit potential compatibility issues.)

Well I followed your directions to the letter.  I checked the audio playback and recording tabs, and the only device showing now is the Saffire driver.   I turned off option you mentioned in the Advanced system settings.
All seemed okay, until....
I rebooted my PC, and *crap* ALL of the computer manufacturer's HD audio devices and drivers reappeared, and the one that was enabled before, is now enabled AGAIN!

I checked out the other thread, and read all the posts.   I think I might have to go into the registry to permanently get rid of these drivers and to stop them from coming back every time I reboot or restart the computer.

The unwanted drivers return, and one is enabled:

Lee Shapiro

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 07:30:50 (permalink)
I wouldn't do anything in the registry.
I also wouldn't worry about things appearing in the list. Just make sure that the one you want is the default and it should be OK. My above instructions are just to stop Windows reinstalling manufacturers' drivers over the ones you choose to manually install.

So for example if Focusrite or someone gave you a driver, or you use an older driver which works perfectly, then Windows won't try to replace it with something else.

Edit: Do what Scook says below, too.

The Computer Mouse (web)
scook
Forum Host
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 07:31:24 (permalink)
I used Windows Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Sound, video and game Controllers  and disabled everything I do not use.
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 10:12:00 (permalink)
Okay thanks again for all the advice, I really do appreciate it.

But I'm sort of back where I started from.  After disabling everything I don't use, after rebooting my PC, I'm still getting one of the HD Audio drivers from the computer enabling itself again.
And the Saffire MixControl software is still changing ASIO buffer size on it's own. 
I've also noticed that Sonar takes a very long time to load a project, even a small one. Sometimes taking up to a minute or two to open. (when normally it would only take a few seconds)

And reading through many forum posts here, as well as Googling trying to find some answers, I'm finding an endless amount of information that often contradicts each other.  So I'm just a bit frustrated.
Especially after Sonar has been virtually rock solid for me, for so many years.  And now when I want to start working professionally with it, it's become unreliable.  I was nervous enough worrying about how well I can work with paying clients (based on just my own skills and talent), now I've got this whole new level of uncertainty which seems like it's totally out of my control.  *sigh*

Lee Shapiro

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 11:05:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Leee 2017/10/15 12:12:11
have you tried disabling the onboard audio ("high definition audio device" in your screenshot) in the BIOS? windows won't even know it's there then, and so won't load any drivers for it

just a sec

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 11:06:20 (permalink)
The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is going to start trickling out in 2 days' time on the 17th.
So when the ISO of that becomes available, if you want the latest version of Windows 10, then you can do a fresh Windows 10 install and start from scratch. That's what I plan to do, and millions of other people I expect.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 11:56:27 (permalink)
pwalpwal
have you tried disabling the onboard audio ("high definition audio device" in your screenshot) in the BIOS? windows won't even know it's there then, and so won't load any drivers for it

Okay, I'll give that a try. I know my way around the BIOS settings much more than the registry.
Hopefully that'll work.  Thanks!

Lee Shapiro

Leee
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 12:11:42 (permalink)
GjB
The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is going to start trickling out in 2 days' time on the 17th.
So when the ISO of that becomes available, if you want the latest version of Windows 10, then you can do a fresh Windows 10 install and start from scratch. That's what I plan to do, and millions of other people I expect.

I've had to do fresh Windows installs in the past.  Even with all my DAW software backed up on an external hard drive, reinstalling all my programs is the biggest PITA I've ever had to deal with.  Doing a fresh Windows install, removes all your personal data and software, and even if I have everything else backed up, installing hundreds of programs, plugins, and efx software, INCLUDING having to get much of that software re-authorized, is a project that takes several days!  Often I can't just re-authorize software automatically.  I have to contact the software company, either by phone or email, and wait for them to help me reauthorize it.

It's by far, a very LAST RESORT.  Starting from scratch, after having to do that (about 6 or 7 times already) whenever I get a new computer, or if I have a major hardware failure, is definitely not something I would want to do again, except when there's no other alternatives.   Even when I mirror/ghost copied the complete hard drive, specifically meant for easy transfer from one drive to another.  I still ended up having to manually reinstall and reauthorize much of the software that I was transferring.

Lee Shapiro

GjB
Re: More crashes in the last few days than in the past 5 years! 2017/10/15 12:15:48 (permalink)
I understand exactly. But hopefully there can be bug fixes in these large Windows updates, especially like webcam issues after the Anniversary Update and audio issues after the Creators Update.
This is not my livelihood, so I'm happy to reinstall at a moment's notice.
More often than not for many people, a reinstall fixes their issues, but not always.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1