Helpful ReplyNext update SONAR X2B...when...x64bit VS 32bit.. the future of Cakewalk?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 16:55:07 (permalink)
As far of my long time experience and knowledge there are only few candidates that are in same league that could replace SONAR X2 x64.

1. Cubase Nuendo
2. Samplitude PRO X / Sequoia

not there yet...

3. Studio One (Not ready for real work)
4. Digital Performer 8 (windows)

lower list....
5. Logic Pro -Its not as it use to be. a drag and outdated platform that limp behind every year.
6. Reaper (Not consider as a professional DAW)

7. LIVE -not a DAW its a rewire application
8. Reason - not a DAW its a rewire application

9 FL Studio - not what I call a DAW

10. Tape mashine

20. Pro Tools HD - a DAW that has lived under a rock the last 15 years.... Only DAW that only works on Windows 95 and XP32. Only DAW on the market that are still in x32bit only 2013 and have no new technology functions and totally outdated.
The latest features were non destructible faders and record and working with 32 bit files? All other DAW has had that since the late 90ths.
today you can't find any functions that Pro Tools do better then other DAW. Actually it's the opposite. all other DAWs do it 10 times better.

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:01:08 (permalink)
Freddie H

Pro Tools HD - a DAW that has lived under a rock the last 15 years.... Only DAW that only works on Windows 95 and XP32. Only DAW on the market that are still in x32bit only 2013 and have no new technology functions and totally outdated.
The latest features were non destructible faders and record and working with 32 bit files? All other DAW has had that since the late 90ths.
today you can't find any functions that Pro Tools do better then other DAW. Actually it's the opposite. all other DAWs do it 10 times better.
It just goes to show what kind of damage marketing hype can do. Referring to the whole 64-bit debacle.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:12:28 (permalink)
Freddie H

As far of my long time experience and knowledge there are only few candidates that are in same league that could replace SONAR X2 x64.

1. Cubase Nuendo
2. Samplitude PRO X / Sequoia

not there yet...

3. Studio One (Not ready for real work)
4. Digital Performer 8 (windows)

lower list....
5. Logic Pro -Its not as it use to be. a drag and outdated platform that limp behind every year.
6. Reaper (Not consider as a professional DAW)

7. LIVE -not a DAW its a rewire application
8. Reason - not a DAW its a rewire application

9 FL Studio - not what I call a DAW

10. Tape mashine

20. Pro Tools HD - a DAW that has lived under a rock the last 15 years.... Only DAW that only works on Windows 95 and XP32. Only DAW on the market that are still in x32bit only 2013 and have no new technology functions and totally outdated.

Freddie - do you have a working environment to do your job and/or make music?  It's not going away.  I know we are all freaking out to various degrees, but nothing has to be done in the next 2 weeks.

For all we know, Sonar may emerge from this better than ever.  The future of Sonar is the stuff of our speculation.

Freddie H
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:14:00 (permalink)
Bub

Freddie H

Pro Tools HD - a DAW that has lived under a rock the last 15 years.... Only DAW that only works on Windows 95 and XP32. Only DAW on the market that are still in x32bit only 2013 and have no new technology functions and totally outdated.
It just goes to show what kind of damage marketing hype can do. Referring to the whole 64-bit debacle.

So 64bit is a "hype" to you?
....Bub...this is just getting worse.. 

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:17:40 (permalink)
pbognar

Freddie - do you have a working environment to do your job and/or make music?  It's not going away.  I know we are all freaking out to various degrees, but nothing has to be done in the next 2 weeks.

For all we know, Sonar may emerge from this better than ever.  The future of Sonar is the stuff of our speculation.

Yes, true. Time will tell!
I'm not jumping ship yet. I'm really pleased with Sonar X2 platform even with its small bugs and need of small features like VST3.

Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:20:46 (permalink)
Reaper? Please... allmost second from that list "black list"

Hi Freddie-

Which was the last version you tried? Some things do get better over time, and not to engage in "DAW Wars," but I don't think it deserves a bunny or any other facepalm at this point.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Freddie H
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:23:24 (permalink)
Susan G

Reaper? Please... allmost second from that list "black list"

Hi Freddie-

Which was the last version you tried? Some things do get better over time, and not to engage in "DAW Wars," but I don't think it deserves a bunny or any other facepalm at this point.

-Susan

Yes! I admit I haven't check it out myself for over two years but I do have check their FORUM and the webpage.
Many new functions has been added but still...I don't personal feel its there yet. The GUI is nasty aswell!

redbarchetta
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:24:05 (permalink)
Bub 
It's $225 dollars for a Commercial Use license for Reaper. I wouldn't call that cheap. And it's certainly not a 'no-frills' solution. There's a lot of plug-in's that come with Reaper, it's rock solid, you can run it natively on Mac, and it just works. You can even run it from a Thumb Drive. There's a robust community of users, there's a whole community that does Themes. We have Panup who had to hack Sonar to do what he does. Thanks Panup btw.
Thanks, 

Bub

Actually, Reaper is what I just moved away from. Not because it was not stable or anything like that, rather I just find it to be bla.  Sure you can create themes for it, but that only goes so far. The entire GUI in my opinion needs to be overhauled.  There are definite things I liked about reaper.  It seems very snappy, it is a relatively clean un-cluttered app and most of all, i like how you can manipulate it through some of it's scripting abilities.  I dunno, it just didn't inspire me.  

redbarchetta
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:27:52 (permalink)
Freddie H

Yes! I admit I haven't check it out myself for over two years but I do have check their FORUM and the webpage.
Many new functions has been added but still...I don't personal feel its there yet.

It's very close. It seems to have most all the functionality that most other daws have. But as I just stated, it really needs a face lift. There needs to be a better seamless feel between the main GUI and the dialog boxes that open up as well as the native plugins. 
I think if they addressed some of those issues, a lot more people would jump on board.  
Freddie H
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:29:13 (permalink)
Studio One GUI is also not there yet. Grey grey 90ths more grey!
Its more then me that complain about Studio One GUI.

Now someone will say...GUI isn't it sound we working with? Yes but the GUI matters too working long hours 7 days a week. SONAR X2 as just sweet when it comes to GUI. One of the best GUI in the business!

After that Samplitude and DP.
Then perhaps Cubase and actually Pro Tools.

Pro tools GUI is the only thing they do good over there at AVID.

Susan G
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:31:57 (permalink)
But as I just stated, it really needs a face lift.

You've checked out the "Imperial Theme," (total facelift) I presume, as well as others?

Okay, I'm out of this now ;)! Sorry...

-Susan

TS
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:45:36 (permalink)

I took a quick look at the updates lists on Avid and Steinberg sites, and i saw that the problems are the same everywhere.

For example :

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Cubase_6_and_Cubase_Artist_6/6.0.7/VersionHistory_IssuesSolutions.pdf

About the Roland policy with Sonar, i remember that, when Yamaha bought Steinberg (2005, i guess),
i thought that Roland will do the same with CW (with which it had a strategic alliance since 2003).

These two major companies (Y et R) are tough competitors, and i think that we can be confident about the Roland support and development of Sonar, at least as long as Yamaha will support and develop Cubase and Nuendo.

Laptop HP DV7 (i7 720 QM, Win 7/64, 4 Go Ram), UA-101 (2), Focal Solo6 Be, Sennh HD 600, set micros (MD441, M88, M160, MD431, Mk-012, K2, etc)
DigitalBoston
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 17:49:20 (permalink)
Mod Bod

I don't expect to see X2b at all at this point in the release cycle.  I base this on past experience.  However, there might be a chance of maybe a X2 Expanded based on what they did with X1.  That would be a paid release for a small amount that might give some new toys and a few tweaks.

Better yet, more upgrades for the Pro Channel plugins that allow for VST use at $20 a pop.

that expanded nonsence is dead bro, if you knew the intire story of content wars that cake played you would see why.
PC  plan was all inclusive untill   the x1 expanded  idea came out. and thats part of why x2 that and the bugs have not show the same profits
Resonant Order
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 18:01:01 (permalink)
The Imperial Theme for Reaper is what allowed me to make the switch. It can also be customized further. I switched out all the red for a dark teal, and it's my favorite interface of all the programs I've used.

http://www.houseofwhiteti...erial/wt_imperial.html

The only thing I miss from Sonar is CAL, but that's dead tech anyway.

That said, I still wish that Cakewalk would get their act together. 8.5.3 was the last version that gelled with me.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Music at Night, 1931- Aldous Huxley
redbarchetta
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 18:05:14 (permalink)
Susan G

But as I just stated, it really needs a face lift.

You've checked out the "Imperial Theme," (total facelift) I presume, as well as others?

Okay, I'm out of this now ;)! Sorry...

-Susan

Hi Susan, I have and it's great looking.  In fact, I have it applied to my reaper. I like all the themes that have been created.  It's not that aspect of reaper that bothers me, it's whats under that, that bothers me. The dialog boxes, the very vanilla looking rea plugins.   it just doesn't feel polished like Sonar does.

Susan G
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 18:22:51 (permalink)
The dialog boxes, the very vanilla looking rea plugins.   it just doesn't feel polished like Sonar does.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. There are some very unfinished parts to the GUI, so I avoid them! J/K. The ReaPlugins are by and large hideous to look at, but they by and large do what they're supposed to do.

It's a not-so-silly argument, IMO, about how important the GUI should be. I hear the "Why should it matter? Trust your ears" argument all the time, but it does for sure matter to most folks.

-Susan

redbarchetta
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 18:59:13 (permalink)
Susan G

The dialog boxes, the very vanilla looking rea plugins.   it just doesn't feel polished like Sonar does.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. There are some very unfinished parts to the GUI, so I avoid them! J/K. The ReaPlugins are by and large hideous to look at, but they by and large do what they're supposed to do.

It's a not-so-silly argument, IMO, about how important the GUI should be. I hear the "Why should it matter? Trust your ears" argument all the time, but it does for sure matter to most folks.

-Susan

reaper is a GREAT app. I was an honest fellow and paid for it. I have no regrets at all. I will continue to use it on my laptop when I need to go mobile. I know it should NOT matter, but it does and I like visual bling.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 19:30:18 (permalink)
This thread has a stupid title. Why not do a little research on when the updates came out for X1 and then form some sort of rational estimation. Development and testing takes time.... Be patient. We've already had about 4 threads like this, this is hardly gonna make cake hurry up.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
guitardood
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 19:42:28 (permalink)
Freddie H

Bub

Freddie H

Personally, I do believe that the whole move to 64-bit is hype.  From a DAW perspective.  Does anyone really have any projects, "without memory-starved soft synths", require more than 2gb of RAM?  As a programmer, I would find that very hard to believe.  This is the reason I asked the question the other day about being able to run BFD2 or Machfive 64-bit versions under 32-bit Sonar.  Would get rid of the whole flaky bit-bridge on 90% of my plugins and allow my two memory pigs to operate in 64-bit (found out this is possible with jbridge but haven't tried yet).

I mean seriously.  I had multiple 75+ track projects using tons of both native and UAD plugs and NEVER ran out of memory under Sonar 7.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/ChuckFletcher

"Life is like a box of chocolates.  You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK"
Splat
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 19:52:52 (permalink)
Are you on the right thread guitardood? There's another I'm happy with sonar 7 debate going on elsewhere... Cheers...

BTW 64 bit works way better than 32 bit. Way better. Its not just the memory. And besides I suspect 64 bit versions get tested more nowadays.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 20:02:13 (permalink)
CakeAlexS

Are you on the right thread guitardood? There's another I'm happy with sonar 7 debate going on elsewhere... Cheers...

It is not so much being happy with Sonar 7 as being unhappy with X1/X2.  I think you may have missed my point in my response to Freddie's inquiry as to the benefit-vs-hype of 64-bit DAW.  By your response to my theory (or really lack thereof), I'll assume that my theory is correct in that: sans memory-hungry  soft synths, the value of 64-bit is kind of lost vs the headaches it (or more specifically bit-bridge) seems to be causing some folks.

BTW, given a program written in 32-bit vs 64-bit, that only requires 1gb of memory, the only entity capable of telling the difference would be the OS & CPU. Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

"Life is like a box of chocolates.  You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK"
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 20:05:36 (permalink)
I get the feeling a certain someone doesn't use half of what he's slating.. or hasn't used it enough to be objective. It just comes across as some sorta snobbery.

very few will use reason on it's own.. it's been that way for YEARS.. but compared to everything else, it's a quick proto typing tool / sketch pad..  much like say how people will still use fruityloops rewired in..

could you do a full tune and master it in reason ? yep.. but that's down to skill regardless of if you use $10 or $2000 DAW.

it's a tough call.. if the functions you want are broke in a program.. then yet it's more annoying.. if they don't matter to you, because you don't use em.. that's different again

stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 20:15:38 (permalink)
I dunno...   My experience with 64bit SONAR on 64bit Windows has been much "smoother" than when I was running the 32bit combo.  I've seen total memory usage exceed 2GB many times just using instances of BFD Eco, Dim Pro, Kontakt Player, etc.    But even without them I would never want to go back to 32bit.

I can count the number of Bitbridge issues I've ever had on one hand.   But maybe my experience with Bitbridge/64bit is similar to my general experience with SONAR, that is, I've never really had many stability or serious issues reported by others - I've always been pretty lucky with SONAR.  In fact, the least stable version for me was v5, and I remember that being a favorite of many users back then.   Go figure. 

Anyhow... as far as this thread goes, it's a user forum so I don't expect much from it.   I also don't expect Seth's exit to mean the end of Cakewalk or SONAR or anything simiilar.   It is what it is - a tough ecomony in 2013.   Maybe CW has just been very fortunate up until now.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 20:26:35 (permalink)
AT's post is a good one and I think very accurate and very well received by me.

+1

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
JonD
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 20:31:34 (permalink)
guitardood

Personally, I do believe that the whole move to 64-bit is hype.  From a DAW perspective.  Does anyone really have any projects, "without memory-starved soft synths", require more than 2gb of RAM?  As a programmer, I would find that very hard to believe.  This is the reason I asked the question the other day about being able to run BFD2 or Machfive 64-bit versions under 32-bit Sonar.  Would get rid of the whole flaky bit-bridge on 90% of my plugins and allow my two memory pigs to operate in 64-bit (found out this is possible with jbridge but haven't tried yet).

I mean seriously.  I had multiple 75+ track projects using tons of both native and UAD plugs and NEVER ran out of memory under Sonar 7.

Best,

Huh?  You just gave yourself as a contradiction to your own argument...

Why do "you" need BFD2 and Machfive in 64-bit versions?  Answer honestly, and you'll have the answer to the question why others need their "Memory-starved soft synths" too. (You "need" your BFD2 and MachFive. Others "need" their Omnisphere. Kontakt, etc...).

Given that, how is it all hype?   (I honestly don't get your point).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 21:30:56 (permalink)
guitardood
Freddie H
Bub
Freddie H

Best,
When the day comes that Sonar (or any other DAW on the planet) will not stream a sample from an HDD and stop working due to lack of RAM, then I'll accept that 64 bit is a necessity and "makes a difference".

I have never been restricted by my DAW not being 64bit. If anything, it's been one big headache transitioning to it.

I'm primarily a guitar guy, I saw no benefit in latency when I switched to 64bit. Actually, one of the biggest disappointments when I made the transition was the fact that I saw no real benefits. Latency was the same, I heard no difference in sound quality, it still took just as long to bounce, freeze, and export.

Yes, Sonar maybe loaded a bit faster ... but it didn't function faster. A 3 minute 25 second song, is still a 3 minute and 25 second long song. 64 bit doesn't make it sound better, or play quicker so I can record it in less time.

If you're working at Lucas Sound Ltd using 5TB orchestral samples, well, yeah, maybe you'll see a difference.

As a matter of fact, I just checked it out. www.skysound.com.

Technology
Presently, we have a fibre channel infrastructure that allows sharing of files and data quickly and easily throughout the Technical Building and around the world. An editor can work on a session in a private suite using one of our 80 ProTools digital audio editing systems while the mixers are mixing the exact same material on one of our six dubbing stages. Simultaneously, another editor can browse our proprietary library of more than 100,000 unique sound effects to find just the right sound.
This can all be done while we seamlessly connect the mix stage remotely to anyone with an internet connection using the APT WorldNet Skylink, a device that represents the culmination of a joint development program between APT and Skywalker Sound. In addition to the Skylink, we provide Dolby®FAX via ISDN Telestream, FTP, Digidelivery, Polycom view stations, and Conduit.
Our Scoring Stage offers the best of analog and high bit rate digital by maintaining in house the best selection of microphone pre-amps of any studio, and a wide range of converters for multichannel 24 bit/192k recording and editing.
The Scoring Stage also has the ability to connect to any stage or editing suite in the building or anywhere in the world using the APT WorldNet Skylink technology.
Freddie, I think your a great guy ... but if you're really going to sit here and argue about Pro Tools up against a billion dollar studio ... and put it at #20 on your list of DAW's ... well, I think there's no more point in talking about it with you anymore. You're never going to see the forest through the trees.

Thanks,

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Splat
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 21:43:44 (permalink)
BTW, given a program written in 32-bit vs 64-bit, that only requires 1gb of memory, the only entity capable of telling the difference would be the OS & CPU.

Nope the 32 but application would have been built with a different  compiler than the 64 bit varient. Ie  The app is different and optimized for 64 bit operation. Nb sure CPU + OS = A computer.

guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 21:46:14 (permalink)
JonD

guitardood

Best,

Huh?  You just gave yourself as a contradiction to your own argument...

Why do "you" need BFD2 and Machfive in 64-bit versions?  Answer honestly, and you'll have the answer to the question why others need their "Memory-starved soft synths" too. (You "need" your BFD2 and MachFive. Others "need" their Omnisphere. Kontakt, etc...).

Given that, how is it all hype?   (I honestly don't get your point).

After typing 12 responses that were in ALL*CAPS, I decided to try and mind my tone.  My whole point was that Sonar, in and of itself, is an extremely streamlined application that, in and of itself, has no direct need for 64-bit.  Neither do EQ's or Compressors or delays or gates or even the 20-40%-Better-Super-Deluxe convolution reverb of the week.

The only need for 64-bit, IN A DAW APPLICATION AS STREAMLINED AS SONAR, is for the memory-starved synths.   Can anyone possible disagree with that statement and keep a straight face?   My point is that is the ONLY reason for needing 64-bit.   And pardon my forgetfulness as I was only coding assembler instructions yesterday, if you can dig up some x86-64 specific op-codes that do some special special 64-bit voodoo that no other programmer is aware of when the processor is in 64-bit mode other than the ability to access more memory, I'l eat every computer in my office (talk about when good sentences go bad).

The bit-bridge solution has caused quite a few crashes, FOR ME.  So ME-MYSELF-AND-I don't like it!  I have plugs for which I paid good money that are rendered useless by bit-bridge bugs.  My point was that the jbridge solution allows the 64-bit synths to be 64-bit  and use all the memory that you can throw at them, without the requirement that every-freaking-thing else in my DAW system be 64-bit as well, or glued together with the bit-bridge solution which has turned my monitor a lovely shade of white glow on more than a couple occasions, in the middle of a creative spurt.  If it works for you, wonderful!!!

I believe that a lot of people are believing that their 64-bit low-memory-usage-apps are running better, only because the overly-bloated Windows receives the most benefit from it being in 64-bit and that if you were to subjectively benchmark the same apps 32-bit-version-vs-64-bit-version there would actually be NO DIFFERENCE in performance.  But I've only been programming for 30 years, what do I know about these complex bit-banging-fluter-hickies?

It would be nice, however, if you could limit your personal attacks to yourself.

Best,

post edited by guitardood - 2013/02/19 22:23:40

Best,
Guitardood 

guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 21:51:02 (permalink)
CakeAlexS

BTW, given a program written in 32-bit vs 64-bit, that only requires 1gb of memory, the only entity capable of telling the difference would be the OS & CPU.

Nope the 32 but application would have been built with a different  compiler than the 64 bit varient. Ie  The app is different and optimized for 64 bit operation.
Alex,
     All due respect, but you haven't any idea what you are talking about.  Both compilers create binary code consisting of the same x86 op-codes.  Depending on the mode of the processor, the only real difference is the size of some of the CPU's registers and instruction pointers and the compilers representations of those registers, their offsets and memory location pointers (to allow for, in-part, position-independent-code).

Best,

post edited by guitardood - 2013/02/19 22:21:48

Best,
Guitardood 

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/19 22:01:16 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Next update SONAR X2B...when?

3.41pm GMT, March 17th 2013.

Too early. It will be after lunch.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1