Helpful ReplyNext update SONAR X2B...when...x64bit VS 32bit.. the future of Cakewalk?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 11:44:52 (permalink)
Good God the sight of assembly language makes me aroused. Well maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration - it does make me semi-pleased though. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
guitardood
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 11:50:41 (permalink)
redbarchetta

guitardood

redbarchetta

@guitardude
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't part of the alure of 64 bit vs 32 bit the ability to move more data more quickly.  Like for fetch operations and what not?

I'm a software developer myself but not a bit twiddler. As said, I didn't like my assembly classes.  Closest I'd ever want to go there again is "C"

I'm sure that's part of it, though with all the caching being done on-die I think the real significant reason for 64-bit is the ability to access more in-memory data.  IMHO, in a streaming app such as Sonar, you could have a 256-bit CPU/OS/Compiler  and it will still stream at whatever speed the disks could provide data.  It's a bit different for the sampling soft-synths which utilize large memory buffers (BFD,Kontakt,Machfive, et al) to load as many samples in ram as possible, primarily to cut down on latency.

Best,

How much memory can Sonar utilize?  Also, have you ran sonar with a SSD? Wondering what kind of performance enhancements you'd get with one of those.

While technically Sonar could use every bit of RAM you throw at it, I have a feeling that Sonar's actually memory footprint is quite small (less than 1gb) even with a lot of non-synth FX.  In my experience, the only thing that really starts Sonar's memory usage to climb is loading a large memory-footprint plugin like BFD/BFD2.  Bear in mind that I haven't seen even 1 line of source code from sonar and I'm making a lot of conjecture as to it's operation based solely on my experience running it.

I haven't any experience with SSD drives, but the last time I thought about purchasing one (over 6 months ago), I couldn't justify the cost for the marginal increase in "rated" access times.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/ChuckFletcher

"Life is like a box of chocolates.  You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK"
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 11:53:00 (permalink)
sharke

Good God the sight of assembly language makes me aroused. Well maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration - it does make me semi-pleased though. 

Kinda like the smell of napalm in the morning.....LOL!

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

"Life is like a box of chocolates.  You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK"
redbarchetta
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 12:01:02 (permalink)
sharke

You must be a glutton for punishment. 
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 12:01:22 (permalink)
Appologies to FBB, but I never got screensets.

N-N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o - Say it isn't so.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 12:28:10 (permalink)
Has anyone gotten one of these here yet?

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 12:54:08 (permalink)
Only you, bapu.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 13:07:24 (permalink)
Ah who writes in machine language? That separates the men from the boys. Me I took a look at assembly once and nearly had a stroke. 

I liked PC BASIC.  

Best
John
sharke
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 13:13:00 (permalink)
redbarchetta

sharke

You must be a glutton for punishment. 

Probably - although I messed around in assembly back in the 6502 days and loved it. Then again I was 11 years old, had all the time in the world and 6502 assembly was a lot simpler!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 13:21:02 (permalink)
John

Ah who writes in machine language? That separates the men from the boys. Me I took a look at assembly once and nearly had a stroke. 

I liked PC BASIC.  

You might be surprised to see how much assembly  code is at the very heart of some of the latest A/V codecs and encryption algorithms.   I for one was very grateful when they added the inline-assembly to many of the 'C' compilers.  I remember back in the day when the Zortech compiler was the shiznit.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 13:41:52 (permalink)
guitardood

The only need for 64-bit, IN A DAW APPLICATION AS STREAMLINED AS SONAR, is for the memory-starved synths.   Can anyone possible disagree with that statement and keep a straight face?
Noel Borthwick of Cakewalk apparently can. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/release.aspx/White-Paper-Benifits-of-x64-for-Audio-Workstations

mcdoma2000
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 13:47:57 (permalink)
In the year 2525, If man is still alive...

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 14:06:34 (permalink)
dmbaer

guitardood

The only need for 64-bit, IN A DAW APPLICATION AS STREAMLINED AS SONAR, is for the memory-starved synths.   Can anyone possible disagree with that statement and keep a straight face?
Noel Borthwick of Cakewalk apparently can. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/release.aspx/White-Paper-Benifits-of-x64-for-Audio-Workstations

I've spoken with Noel via email on many occasions especially during one of the betas I was involved with some years back and have quite a bit of respect for him.

However, marketing literature notwithstanding, the only real revelation in the above article is that Sonar will store loops in RAM if possible.  This I did not know.  However, I still stand by my original posting albeit with the following caveat "unless you're doing tracks made up of a lot of loops".  The additional registers and FPU registers are only going to be used if the code specifically is processor-optimized.   Go and read some of John Carmack's old posts and see how much hand-tooled voodoo had to be done to accomplish the 3D rendering.  Not to mention the fact that the article was written in 2005.  Does anyone really see a 20-40% performance benefit on a Audio/HardwareSynth project just by moving to 64-bit Sonar (not Windows, Sonar)?

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 15:32:58 (permalink)
guitardood

CakeAlexS

Er guitar dood with all due respect you seem to think you are the only developer here. I own a copy of visual studio too and my degree is in computer science. That doesn't make me a know it all or qualify me to judge what you know or do not know. Nothing I said was incorrect in my last statement. You merely expanded it but again neglected to mention that actually some operations and subroutines (not just registers etc) are specifically optimized for 64 bit code. In a lot of instances some of the assembled code can be far more efficient. 64 bit compilers are different to 32 bit compilers. End of.

Wrong sir!

First, my comment was directed at your statement that "64-bit compilers are different than 32-bit compilers".  This implication that 64-bit code is generated with a different compiler than the 32-bit is a patently false statement.  Most modern compilers have switches that turn on certain optimizations depending on the mode, but is not separate compilers for the different modes.

Secondly, being a casual or even advanced programmer in Visual Studio does not necessarily equate to intimate knowledge of the CPU's machine language, in which all compiled languages eventually get translated.  One of my original classes in computer science (1981) entailed the instructor giving us a cardboard CPU simulator.  It had a sliding piece of cardboard for the accumulator, a sliding piece of cardboard for the register and yet another sliding piece of cardboard for the stack.  Our task was essentially to "be the one-operations-per-minute CPU" and execute the machine language instructions, in binary I might add.  Most of my classmates at the time could not even get past the binary math and the decimal-to-binary conversions let alone understand pushing and popping (EDIT) a stack.  One of my first professional projects entailed writing assembly language interfaces between the high-level Informix 4GL (which compiled to 'C', which compiled to assembler, which compiled to machine code) and Allen-Bradley PLCs (ladder-logic) for a Westinghouse Job Costing system we were developing.  So when it comes to CPU logic and machine code, I'm quite versed.  Not necessarily a know-it-all, but definitely a have-forgotten-more-than-some-will-ever-know.  But, I digress.

To further illustrate my point, here's an example for you:
Note: all created with a single version of the GNU C compiler, specifically: i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1  This is pretty much the compiler being used on 85% of the non-Microsoft platforms and about 98% of non-Microsoft embedded systems.

helloworld.c

#include <stdio.h>
char *main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
   printf("Hello World\n");
}

Here's the 23-line i386 (32-bit) Assembler that the C compiler creates:
helloworld_i386.s

.section        __TEXT,__text,regular,pure_instructions
      .globl        _main
      .align        4, 0x90
_main:
      pushl        %ebp
      movl        %esp, %ebp
      subl        $8, %esp
      call        L1$pb
L1$pb:
      popl        %eax
      leal        L_.str-L1$pb(%eax), %eax
      movl        %eax, (%esp)
      call        _puts
      addl        $8, %esp
      popl        %ebp
      ret

.section        __TEXT,__cstring,cstring_literals
L_.str:
      .asciz         "Hello World"

.subsections_via_symbols

Here's the 69-line x86_64 (64-bit) Assembler source:
helloworld_x86_64.s

.section        __TEXT,__text,regular,pure_instructions
      .globl        _main
      .align        4, 0x90
_main:
Leh_func_begin1:
      pushq        %rbp
Ltmp0:
      movq        %rsp, %rbp
Ltmp1:
      leaq        L_.str(%rip), %rdi
      popq        %rbp
      jmp        _puts  # TAILCALL
Leh_func_end1:

.section        __TEXT,__cstring,cstring_literals
L_.str:
      .asciz         "Hello World"

.section        __TEXT,__eh_frame,coalesced,no_toc+strip_static_syms+live_support
EH_frame0:
Lsection_eh_frame:
Leh_frame_common:
Lset0 = Leh_frame_common_end-Leh_frame_common_begin
      .long        Lset0
Leh_frame_common_begin:
      .long        0
      .byte        1
      .asciz         "zR"
      .byte        1
      .byte        120
      .byte        16
      .byte        1
      .byte        16
      .byte        12
      .byte        7
      .byte        8
      .byte        144
      .byte        1
      .align        3
Leh_frame_common_end:
      .globl        _main.eh
_main.eh:
Lset1 = Leh_frame_end1-Leh_frame_begin1
      .long        Lset1
Leh_frame_begin1:
Lset2 = Leh_frame_begin1-Leh_frame_common
      .long        Lset2
Ltmp2:
      .quad        Leh_func_begin1-Ltmp2
Lset3 = Leh_func_end1-Leh_func_begin1
      .quad        Lset3
      .byte        0
      .byte        4
Lset4 = Ltmp0-Leh_func_begin1
      .long        Lset4
      .byte        14
      .byte        16
      .byte        134
      .byte        2
      .byte        4
Lset5 = Ltmp1-Ltmp0
      .long        Lset5
      .byte        13
      .byte        6
      .align        3
Leh_frame_end1:

.subsections_via_symbols

Perhaps you could share how the 69-line 64-bit assembler code is more optimized than the 23-line 32-bit code, because I certainly don't see it.  The binary versions had a difference of 44 bytes, with the 64-bit version being the larger at 8688 bytes.

Upon runtime, the only performance gains I was able to see were in the the runtime dynamic linker able to load the code 0.012 seconds faster on the x86_64 bit.

I'm sure that a more complex program would benefit, however, that benefit is overshadowed by the instability of using another program in every fx-chain (bit-bridge) for 90% of my plugins(fx which are mostly still 32-bit) as opposed to using jbridge for 10% of my plugins(soft-synths, which btw can easily be frozen and/or converted to audio eliminating the necessity for having the soft-synth active throughout the entire mixing process.  This is for my system.  If you're happy with the status-quo, more power to ya.

And btw, you could have made your point without the personal attacks.  I don't think I'm the only programmer here and only called you on your false statement which you made in such an authoritative posture.

Best,

EDIT: for anyone interested, here is the wikipedia page for the CARDIAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARDboard_Illustrative_Aid_to_Computation) cardboard computer which actually has 4 slides.  I forgot about the memory cells.

The performance analysis of these two examples is flawed. The size of the text of the two assembly programs does not relate in any way to run time performance. In fact, the executable instruction count of the 32-bit version is 11, while the instruction count of the 64-bit one is 5, so at first glance, the 64-bit one would seem to be more optimized. Also note that a special "TAILCALL" technique has been applied to the puts() call, saving some instructions after puts() is done. Is that a feature of the CPU instruction set or the compiler and libraries? Also hard to tell about absolute count of memory fetches (even a 32-bit program can use a 64-bit wide data path.) Also, looks like the 64-bit version has more built-in debug or linking information, unrelated to run-time performance. Both are optimized by not calling printf() at all but recognizing that puts() can be called directly. For a final point, that was not a Microsoft compiler and can't be used to guess at relative performance of Visual Studio-built programs.

Setting the above examples aside: generally, a cpu in 64-bit mode has some more registers available and some additional instructions. Whether an arbitrary program can be compiled to use those to good effect is unknown until you see how the compiler has been designed. Also my guess is that running 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit DAW is less efficient (as well as sometimes more troublesome) than 32-32. In any case, any serious debate about this ought to be backed up by reproducible measurements, not code size or instruction count.

Bill B.
js516
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 16:16:13 (permalink)
 The only real difference between the posted example, is that the 64 bit version uses opcodes that work on 64 bits, and the 32 bit version on 32 bits for example:

lea - is "Load Effective Address" ,which loads an address into a register.

the 32 bit version uses leal, which is the "long" or 32 bit version.
the 64 bit version uses leaq, which is the "quad" or 64 bit version (q = quad word or 4 x 16 bit words).

So other than some some-and-mirrors (inclusion of debug data in one example but not the other only serves to confuse average forum members), there is *no* real difference between the two that can be used to imply any kind of performance benefit.

Also realize that besides 64/32 bit:
- There are several command extensions (SSE for example) that can be leveraged by a compiler, if that extension is available on the processor the code is running on.
- There are manufacturer specific tweaks (Intel vs AMD).
- There are Compiler and library performance tweaks (intel vs microsoft vs gnu).
- There are third party libraries that can affect performance as well (SmartHeap for example)

So arguing performance benefits is dubious at best. We do not know what optimizations are used by Cakewalk, if there are hand-written optimizations, what additional libraries Cakewalk used, and how much of the code base contains code rot (old code thats been there for awhile and has been buried under repeated enhancements, making it inefficient, and a maintenance liability).

The one universal truth about 64 bit code is that it can access a larger address space, which on windows means less swapping of memory regions to the hard disk.
post edited by js516 - 2013/02/20 16:24:25

Joe Sera

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, Corsair 32GB 1600 Ram, MOTU AVB on USB3, AMD Radeon R7-200
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 16:38:25 (permalink)
js516

The one universal truth about 64 bit code is that it can access a larger address space, which on windows means less swapping of memory regions to the hard disk.
So, pretty much after all of this ... we've come back to the fundamental fact that the only measurable benefit of 64-bit is being able to access more RAM which is what we all knew already.

Sweet.

Thanks.

LOL!

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 16:47:03 (permalink)
Sorry, I seem to have stumbled into the wrong thread... where is the door? OH... OK...

I see it...

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
sharke
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 16:48:14 (permalink)
I always thought Mario 64 was a pretty sweet upgrade from the previous 8 and 16 bit versions....lol

James
js516
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 16:56:14 (permalink)
> So, pretty much after all of this ... we've come back to the fundamental fact that the only measurable benefit of 64-bit is being able to access more RAM which is what we all knew already.

Yeap, its like dirt track racing. The more you go around, the dirtier you get. (Dang it lost the quote. got too much mud on my monitor.. lol)
Trivia: How many entendres can you count? }B>

Joe Sera

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, Corsair 32GB 1600 Ram, MOTU AVB on USB3, AMD Radeon R7-200
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 20:03:14 (permalink)
Bub

js516

So, pretty much after all of this ... we've come back to the fundamental fact that the only measurable benefit of 64-bit is being able to access more RAM which is what we all knew already.

Sweet.

Thanks.

LOL!

@bub: Thanks for some sanity, Bub.  I was beginning to feel like Oliver Douglas in Hooterville....LOL!!

@js516:  You other points (though maybe still debatable) notwithstanding, thanks for reading all that was posted and getting my whole point.

@bvideo: As with js516, I could still debate the issue.  But thanks for understanding what I was trying to get across.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 20:13:20 (permalink)
/THREAD?
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 20:15:28 (permalink)
I would argue too many assumptions have been made, I've seen two inaccuracies as well, however I've lost the will to live....

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when...x64bit VS 32bit.. the future of Cakewalk? 2013/02/20 20:29:18 (permalink)
I know it's an old thread (below), but the second post by 'eratu' says, with great eloquence, the exact point I was trying to make.  I guess I have to call my attorney and cancel that patent filing....LOL.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when...x64bit VS 32bit.. the future of Cakewalk? 2013/02/20 21:37:58 (permalink)
i thought it also made applications run faster.
im not sure if this thread helps.
http://superuser.com/questions/9112/other-benefits-of-64-bit-os-apart-from-memory-expansion

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 22:27:18 (permalink)
John

I liked PC BASIC.  

PC Basic here as well...then again I had some exposure to COBOL...don't ask why...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 22:40:11 (permalink)
I taught myself how to program in TI Machine language because I couldn't afford to buy the 'Basic' add-on cartridge for it. I was 11 or 12?

It was actually pretty cool what you could do with graphics on that thing. I was fascinated with animation back then and would program these elaborate scenes with clouds drifting and birds flying. Cars driving down a road. Stupid things like that, that you do when you're a kid. Now days they call them animated GIF's and you can do it in 15 minutes with photoshop. Back then I programmed it pixel by pixel, line by line, hour by hour.

I wrote a program one time that turned the QWERTY keyboard on it in to a piano keyboard and I could play my TI-99-4a like a synth.

Then I picked up my brothers guitar one night and strummed it, and it's been all down hill ever since. Heh.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 22:51:12 (permalink)
I'm not using Sonar, but when I investigated whether I should run my DAW in 64 Bit mode, the answer was clear and simple:

What advantages are there to using 64-bit mode?  The main advantage is that you can address vast amounts of memory. With 64-bit mode, the application memory is not limited to 4GB as with 32-bit applications, so there is essentially no practical limit by today's standards. As a result, all the installed memory that is not needed by the OS is available for use by Logic Pro or MainStage and all the included plug-ins, which can be meaningful if your Mac has more than 4GB of memory installed. This larger amount of memory allows you to run far more instances of memory intensive plug-ins, such as sample-based software instruments.

This is all I needed to know, thank you Apple. :) Anyone feel free to argue w/ the coders and speculate. I'll be making music. ;) 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when...x64bit VS 32bit.. the future of Cakewalk? 2013/02/20 22:52:03 (permalink)
chuckebaby

i thought it also made applications run faster.
im not sure if this thread helps.
http://superuser.com/questions/9112/other-benefits-of-64-bit-os-apart-from-memory-expansion

Some decent info.  I think there is no doubt that 64-bit is where we want to be.  It's just a matter of which is the correct path to take to that Eden.   For me, having the option to continue to run 32-bit Sonar and have all my plugs stay native and use jBridge to allow my memory-heavy synths to run in 64-bit seems to the way to go.  But there is no doubt everyone who can be on 64-bit windows should be.

As for running Sonar, the point is to know what your requirements are and try and design both a reliable and cost effective solution to meet those requirements.  Other than Machfive, BFD2 & Kontakt, all of my other plugs and all of my projects don't require more than 2gb and run fine in 32-bit.  As for ProChannel, I prefer to use the Neve 88RS channel strip on my UAD-1 system.  So if I can stay in 32-bit Sonar and utilize jBridge to run my 64-bit plugs inside of 32-bit Sonar, for me, makes the most sense.
Best,

post edited by guitardood - 2013/02/20 22:58:18

Best,
Guitardood 

guitardood
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 23:03:04 (permalink)
Bub

I taught myself how to program in TI Machine language because I couldn't afford to buy the 'Basic' add-on cartridge for it. I was 11 or 12?

It was actually pretty cool what you could do with graphics on that thing. I was fascinated with animation back then and would program these elaborate scenes with clouds drifting and birds flying. Cars driving down a road. Stupid things like that, that you do when you're a kid. Now days they call them animated GIF's and you can do it in 15 minutes with photoshop. Back then I programmed it pixel by pixel, line by line, hour by hour.

I wrote a program one time that turned the QWERTY keyboard on it in to a piano keyboard and I could play my TI-99-4a like a synth.

Then I picked up my brothers guitar one night and strummed it, and it's been all down hill ever since. Heh.

The 99-4a was the first computer I owned.  I learned quite a bit on that beast.  Powerful graphics, decent sound and a killer text-to-speech engine which I had fun programming the phonemes to form every curse word I could think of.  It was funny to hear the it say 'F**CK' with that authoritative TI voice.  I even actually wrote a 'Quarters' beer drinking game...LOL.

Best,

Best,
Guitardood 

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re:Next update SONAR X2B...when? 2013/02/20 23:43:53 (permalink)
Bub :

"It was actually pretty cool what you could do with graphics on that thing. I was fascinated with animation back then and would program these elaborate scenes with clouds drifting and birds flying. Cars driving down a road. Stupid things like that, that you do when you're a kid. Now days they call them animated GIF's and you can do it in 15 minutes with photoshop. Back then I programmed it pixel by pixel, line by line, hour by hour. "

Since we're reminiscing... My first computer (Z80) had a hex keypad and a 6 digit led display, 4 for the address and 2 for the data. I programmed this game on it where you had to move a led segment forward across the 6 digits while a pattern of segments moved the other way so you had to dodge them. Assembly language on paper, enter the opcodes, then back up the program on a cassette tape at 300 baud.

I spent days and days on that computer. It was assembled it from a kit.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1